Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Tainted

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

From the TV listings:

As they close in on the one week mark, the survivalists make some risky choices in order to eat; serious infection becomes a very real possibility, driving one participant to consider pulling out early.

Airs Thursday, June 13th.

Donny - you have a "widowmaker" heart attack at the age of 37 and figure that it would be a good idea to challenge yourself with possible starvation, exposure, hypothermia, not to mention the other physical and psychological demands of "Alone"? And you will be hours, if not days away from advanced medical help if needed. Not the best decision I would think.

I would also have to question the production company's selection criteria. I realize that participants are going to be signing a release and waiver of liability, but haven't you learned from past seasons that participants shouldn't have serious medical issues going into the challenge.

Nikki - okay you nicked your knuckle with your knife, that's hardly a deep cut. Clean it, slap a bandage on it, and carry on. This is a survival challenge after all you should be expecting a few cuts and scrapes. Glad to see that you survived losing all that blood. /s

• Useful 1
  • Love 23
59 minutes ago, Tanstaafl said:

Donny - you have a "widowmaker" heart attack at the age of 37 and figure that it would be a good idea to challenge yourself with possible starvation, exposure, hypothermia, not to mention the other physical and psychological demands of "Alone"? And you will be hours, if not days away from advanced medical help if needed. Not the best decision I would think.

I would also have to question the production company's selection criteria. I realize that participants are going to be signing a release and waiver of liability, but haven't you learned from past seasons that participants shouldn't have serious medical issues going into the challenge.

Nikki - okay you nicked your knuckle with your knife, that's hardly a deep cut. Clean it, slap a bandage on it, and carry on. This is a survival challenge after all you should be expecting a few cuts and scrapes. Glad to see that you survived losing all that blood. /s

Donny is a nice looking man but  I really thought he was 50. I was shocked when they flashed his age.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

Donny and Ray were my favorites from a personality standpoint but, when I heard Donny talk about his heart attack, I was relieved to see him go.  I thought he was quite a bit older too.  I'll bet his wife was worried from the minute he stepped out the door.

I was surprised that he got so sick from eating meat he had obviously cooked almost to cinders.  Maybe the parasites leave toxins behind like botulism bacteria do.  I don't know.

• Love 12

In spite of the heavy char on that muskrat, in one quick shot I saw pink meat near the bone. I am also surprised producers allowed him on the show, knowing his health history. Unless they were sadistically hoping he’d croak.

The symptoms of food poisoning, been there and done that. No muskrat love for this guy. Had he stayed out there any longer I think we’d have been in for constant talk of a heart attack coming on.

Michelle and her 6 o’clock news made me smile. She will be entertaining. Can’t wait to see how she does with the metal drum fishing contraption.

Nikki won’t last if she flips out about a cut that didn’t look too bad. I’ve cut myself like that before with the curled metal lid off a can of cat food, and I washed it out, applied Neosporin and a band-aid and kept moving. She’s going to be our resident whiner.

• LOL 5
  • Love 12
(edited)
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I am also surprised producers allowed him on the show, knowing his health history.

I wish I was surprised, but after Nichole(?) with MS .......not so much.  He was amusing and talented and I'm sorry he was the one who had to tap.  I liked his little shelter.  It looked pretty functional.  

I was SO wishing it was Nikki who tapped.  Miss "OH, what wall can humans have?  We can do anything!"  "OH NO!! I can't use a knife and I now have a less-than-a-half-inch cut!"  Put a band-aid on it, you whiner.  I have scars 5 times that long from 40 years ago.  *NEWFLASH*  I didn't die, and because I was an idiot around barbwire didn't mean I could neglect the fact that the horses still needed to be brought in.   SO, I officially dislike Nikki.  Team--NOT Nikki.  

I feel bad for Jordan.  Lived in Siberia for years, seemingly talented, and gets an area burned out by a fire.  That doesn't seem quite fair.  

I like Ray.  

So the only people we've not seen yet are Brady and a woman with an unusual name that starts with "W"??  Is that right?

Edited by MostlyContent
  • Love 11

You knew something bad was going to happen as soon as Nikki started waving that knife around whittling that branch ...Wait for it.....jabbed herself....

Alone production should consider putting a tube of super glue for wounds for  the knuckleheads who can't stop from harming themselves....coveting her neon orange OR mittens...I need a pair of those puppies...

Michelle's fishing off a barrel technique is not elegant but hope she lands enough fish to then use the barrel to smoke and store the fish so bears and predators won't come calling...who knew a rusty barrel could be the early help she needs to prep for winter...

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

then use the barrel to smoke and store the fish

She’d have to figure out a way to get one end opened up, and that would kill her fishing contraption. 

• Love 2

Barrel possibilities was more interesting than what was going on in the episode...the hand wound bleeding and Donny's retching/runs from a charred muskrat, not cooked thoroughly.....but you are right about destroying the integrity of the barrel to multipurpose it...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

You knew something bad was going to happen as soon as Nikki started waving that knife around whittling that branch ...Wait for it.....jabbed herself....

Yep, as soon as she started whittling I was like "what the fuck are you doing, lady - yup, saw THAT coming."

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, MostlyContent said:

I feel bad for Jordan.  Lived in Siberia for years, seemingly talented, and gets an area burned out by a fire.  That doesn't seem quite fair.  

Chyron:  Each of the 10 areas has pros and cons. 
Kind of a big fucking con for Jordan, show.  I also liked him at home with his kid:  "Say 'Hi Mama.  I'm on the roof.'"

I was so impressed Donny had some head of hair on him, then I saw he was 38 and my brain couldn't reconcile that and I'm glad he left so I wouldn't have to.  Would've liked to see his shelter's final result, though- he was definitely winning in that category.

• Love 12
(edited)
7 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

In spite of the heavy char on that muskrat, in one quick shot I saw pink meat near the bone. I am also surprised producers allowed him on the show, knowing his health history. Unless they were sadistically hoping he’d croak.

The symptoms of food poisoning, been there and done that. No muskrat love for this guy. Had he stayed out there any longer I think we’d have been in for constant talk of a heart attack coming on.

Michelle and her 6 o’clock news made me smile. She will be entertaining. Can’t wait to see how she does with the metal drum fishing contraption.

Nikki won’t last if she flips out about a cut that didn’t look too bad. I’ve cut myself like that before with the curled metal lid off a can of cat food, and I washed it out, applied Neosporin and a band-aid and kept moving. She’s going to be our resident whiner.

Would it of helped if he had boiled the muskrat in a pot with some greens (if he had found any)? Perhaps if he made a soup he would not of gotten sick? 

22 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Chyron:  Each of the 10 areas has pros and cons. 
Kind of a big fucking con for Jordan, show.  I also liked him at home with his kid:  "Say 'Hi Mama.  I'm on the roof.'"

I was so impressed Donny had some head of hair on him, then I saw he was 38 and my brain couldn't reconcile that and I'm glad he left so I wouldn't have to.  Would've liked to see his shelter's final result, though- he was definitely winning in that category.

He also had a magnificent grey beard that also contributed to him looking older. I was thinking “that fifty year old guy is in pretty good shape...wait he’s in his thirties and he’s already had a heart attack!

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, MostlyContent said:

I wish I was surprised, but after Nichole(?) with MS .......not so much.  He was amusing and talented and I'm sorry he was the one who had to tap.  I liked his little shelter.  It looked pretty functional.  

I was SO wishing it was Nikki who tapped.  Miss "OH, what wall can humans have?  We can do anything!"  "OH NO!! I can't use a knife and I now have a less-than-a-half-inch cut!"  Put a band-aid on it, you whiner.  I have scars 5 times that long from 40 years ago.  *NEWFLASH*  I didn't die, and because I was an idiot around barbwire didn't mean I could neglect the fact that the horses still needed to be brought in.   SO, I officially dislike Nikki.  Team--NOT Nikki.  

I like Ray.  

So the only people we've not seen yet are Brady and a woman with an unusual name that starts with "W"??  Is that right?

I guess I don't give people as much time as you when I'm deciding if I like them or not....I didn't like Nikki as she was walking in with all her gear 😉 lol 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

Donny - Just no.  Yes you are arrogant.  Nice shelter, lots of cut firewood. 

The muskrat bites back!  lol.

Now he's all humble and taps.  Bye Felicia!

Jordon - Planted in a crappy burned area, bummer.

Nikki - Weord free spirit type.  "I sleep in on Christmas"  Then she cuts herself.  haha. 

What is with these so-called "experts" that makes them so careless.  She seems to be healing nicely.

Ray got a fish.  Cool.  Yes, cook that thing through.  Eww.

Michelle - I like her too.  She seems to have skills and determination.  Her stand up was funny.  Good idea for use of the barrel.  "go catch me some fish!"

• Love 10
5 hours ago, MostlyContent said:

That would be Woniya who is 42 from Grass Valley CA, and Brady is 36 from San Antonio TX. I think that we've seen everyone else.

• Love 3

I'm just waiting for Michelle to make a couple of steel drums out of the barrel and form her own band.  It will be interesting to see if her float contraption produces any results as far as fish. Normally you would think of using a barrel as a float for a raft but the water is far too cold to risk being on a raft and falling in - instant hypothermia.

Other uses for the barrel? Fish or meat smoker (provided you have fish or meat), fire reflector to throw heat into your shelter, fire pit, bathtub, BBQ.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I'm cutting Nikki (no pun intended) a lot of slack for being worried about her cut.  While many of us have cut our hand as bad or worse, none of us had $1/2 million on the line if it didn't heal cleanly.  I don't think any of these folks are whiners, but they may feel additional pressure to be "on" for the camera, and keep talking when they would normally just shut up and get on with it. 

Since all my meat and fish comes packaged in Styrofoam and cellophane, I'm no expert on the hazards of eating something fresh caught, but the speed with which Donny's problems came on definitely seemed like food poisoning to me.  Been there, done that.  Would parasites or uncooked meat cause issues that quickly?  What about Ray and the parasites in the fish he caught? (Which, ewwwwww.  Also, good fake-out, show.)) 

3 hours ago, qtpye said:

He also had a magnificent grey beard that also contributed to him looking older. I was thinking “that fifty year old guy is in pretty good shape...wait he’s in his thirties and he’s already had a heart attack!

Donny having had a heart attack last year (!) at 37 (!) should have ruled him out of the competition, period, full stop.  Nicole had had her MS for many years, it was under control, and she used the plants she found to treat the symptoms.  It was educational to watch Nicole forage.  Donny was on heart medication, FFS. 

I will give Donny props for having a beautiful shelter - I would have loved to see how well the lichen as insulation would have fared once the weather got really cold.  He also gave me the best laugh of the evening:

"I hope to have some luck,  I will catch a fish as big as a ……. buck?  I don't know a word that rhymes with luck. *pause*  Oh, wait, yes I do."  That was funny. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 8

A little too much crying, moaning and puking in this episode for my tastes. Although I thought Nikki's cut looked deep, and it probably would have required a few stitches in the real world, I thought she totally over-reacted. She started crying and grabbed the walkie to tap out before even accessing or cleaning her wound properly.

I wish they wouldn't skip over the shelter building. That's my favorite part of the show. They focused on it a lot last season, but have barely shown it this year.

There's no way I could do what these people do. Anytime they show the animals being dissected, or things like the worms in the fish belly, I have to look away or fast forward.

Do you guys think the found objects were placed there by the producers?

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Donny's Diarrhea Drama amused me, juxtaposed with Nikki's literally calming herself down from cut panic. I was shocked, too, when she reached for the radio and the first-aid kit in the same instant...but she gathered her wits in real time. Meanwhile, there's no bigger drama queen than a rugged survivalist Brawny paper towel man, sobbing and shitting his brains out in the Canadian Arctic. It all made me think, again, that if men were subject to menstrual periods, society would break down completely. 

TBH, I didn't care for the way Donny seemed to be breathing with effort, before he ever had the muskrat toots. Both he and the producers were making poor choices in putting him out there, I think. 

Do be careful with that knife, Nikki. I wonder, now, how many other contestants have grabbed for the walkie in a meltdown moment, and then talked themselves back off the ledge, and we just didn't see it? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 16

I am just ecstatic to see another season of Alone.

I agree about Donny, with his medical history he should have been ruled out but maybe it isn't easy finding these folks or finding folks that are incredibly gifted for living in any conditions they face.   

Donny couldn't even take his heart meds because his stomach was so messed up, so glad he tapped out.  I just can't imagine being in that shape not having a real bathroom around.......YUCK!

Can't believe that guy that didn't bring a tool to start fires with?   I don't care how good you are at starting them, esp in the arctic.  Made no sense to me at all.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Did they do any update on Donny (or last week's evac) after taking him out on a medical?  Usually we get an update printed on the screen as they show the medivac boat/helicopter heading off telling us that "So-and-so was taken to the hospital where he needed to stay three days being treated for his parasites/injury/stupidity, and has recovered completely."  I also saw the way that rescue boat was bobbing side to side as it motored down the lake and thought "hoo boy, that motion isn't going to help an oogey stomach!"

I, too, noted that Donny seemed to be breathing rather heavily and could barely force out two words between breaths (usually a sign of COPD) well before he caught the shits from the muskrat.  Methinks he was well over his head on this adventure health-wise from the get-go.

I liked that Ray left a little fish out for the bird as a respectful homage and thank you to the Canadian wilderness, but I worried that while he was leaving that little bit out, the rest of his fish would get stolen behind his back by the rest of the bird gang.  He also said that he was going to make sure to cook the fish thoroughly to kill any parasites that might be present.  Nice bit of foreshadowing you did there, editors!

I do wonder, though, why everyone seems to do the manly thing of roasting their catch/kill on a stick over an open fire.  That seems to me to be a very uncertain way to cook possibly tainted meat.  As others noted above, yeah, there as a lot of char on the muskrat carcass, but the meat still looked pink next to the bone.  Why doesn't anyone braise it in a pot with water?  That way you get everything off the bone, every bit of calories that can be squeezed from the kill, and can be assured you've cooked it thoroughly.  But roasting over a fire is macho, while boiling stuff in a pot and fishing the bones out is sissy?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 15
15 hours ago, Tanstaafl said:

That reminded me of Sig Hansen (Deadliest Catch), who also had a "widowmaker" heart attack and is still going out fishing on the Bering Sea, where rescue/medical help is often hours away(or longer, in a bad storm or up by Russia).  It seems foolhardy, and, dare I say, egotistical.  It is all well and good to be going out there "living your true life to the fullest", but the stress and agony you're putting your family through, as well as the potential rescuers/recovery team who are often risking their lives to try to save you, doesn't seem justified, at least to me.

I did love seeing the little fish offering to the grey jay.  Good karma, Ray.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Since all my meat and fish comes packaged in Styrofoam and cellophane, I'm no expert on the hazards of eating something fresh caught, but the speed with which Donny's problems came on definitely seemed like food poisoning to me. 

I would agree, it may only take an hour or two for food poisoning to manifest itself. Thorough cooking would normally kill most parasites, I'm assuming bacteria from the muskrat or worms from the trout. I've never worried about worms in trout as normal cooking and/or freezing of fillets would kill them.

3 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I wish they wouldn't skip over the shelter building. That's my favorite part of the show. They focused on it a lot last season, but have barely shown it this year.

I'm sure that this will figure prominently in the upcoming episodes once it turns colder. This may turn out to be more important than finding food.

54 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

That reminded me of Sig Hansen (Deadliest Catch), who also had a "widowmaker" heart attack

Also Phil Harris of Deadliest Catch. One of the worst things about "Reality TV" is when someone you know and like dies before their time.

5 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Ray got a fish

And he was so happy and I think that it was after 6 days or trying. I'm hear thinking that they can't even catch a jackfish (northern pike)? They are all over every lake in the north.

I'm not sure why they don't take fly fishing lessons before the show. Find/make a long thin pole, use your snare wire to make 4 or 5 circular loops (eyes) spaced along the pole and then feed your fishing line through the loops while winding the rest on the butt of the pole - voila a fly rod increasing your casting range 3 or 4 times.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Do you guys think the found objects were placed there by the producers?

Not with the 45 gallon (imperial measure) drum. Drums are pretty normal for fishing lodges to fuel their boats and generators. Not all of the drums get returned and an empty drum will get blown around and once in the water could end up anywhere.

The lodges in the area are pretty good at cleaning up their garbage, which is usually burnt in the self same drum usually.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some plastic bottles found by the participants. Where ever people go garbage follows, even to some of the pristine locations on this show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, MostlyContent said:

I really wanted to like her simply because her hometown (NOT Echo Bay) is adjacent to where I'm from. I would never have known that except for an article in our local community newspaper last week about her and her being on this season of the show. But unfortunately, she is irritating me and also doesn't seem to be living up to what she has listed on her resume, at least so far. Will give her a little more time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I liked that Ray left a little fish out for the bird as a respectful homage and thank you to the Canadian wilderness, but I worried that while he was leaving that little bit out, the rest of his fish would get stolen behind his back by the rest of the bird gang.

Yes! I had a seagull snatch a whole bagel out of my hand, on the wing; considering how Ray relied on a gull for fishin' hole tips, I was VERY on edge. 😄 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

That reminded me of Sig Hansen (Deadliest Catch), who also had a "widowmaker" heart attack and is still going out fishing on the Bering Sea

Coincidence?  Or producers like the sound of it 🙂 .  I think I've heard that term somewhere else recently, but can't place it.

Just now, PaperTree said:

Coincidence?  Or producers like the sound of it 🙂 .  I think I've heard that term somewhere else recently, but can't place it.

They also call the dead trees (that have the potential to fall and kill them) "widowmakers" on this show.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

Ok I’m routing for, 1. Jordan, 2. Barry or 3. Brady although Ray has a positive attitude I do not think he can make it.

Dust was too narcissistic to make it when he chocked sick on eating a muskrat (really another rat boy?)and faked crying for drama it was no surprise to see him run out of the woods there’s only so long he can spend impressing ...himself to entertain a himself.  He needs people around to fake them out. Fake crocodile 🐊 ,tears from dust.

Tim was just too old I knew he would go.  I thought he would fall or cut himself or cry.  Boo hoo.. bye.

Unfortunately I do not see any of the females making it.  I’d love to see it but none have the real skills to make it. It’s ...I think I can,  mentality, more than actual,skill.

Also if anyone has had a health condition and takes meds “that should be an automatic disqualification” sorry I also have a medical condition I’d love to tell the world about but I wouldn’t go into the woods and take a healthy persons place to cry about my condition on tv.  Please history channel fix this rule, no one on meds with a medical history. 

Healthy participants only.

I’m tired stick people going out to further challenge their illness in extreme conditions then failing and crying about it then saying doing this Challenge made people aware  of my condition ? 

Anyway jordan so far is my first pic, Barry second and Bart third.  Unless any of them have hidden illness then X.

Edited by BobbiB
  • Love 3

I thought Michelle's use of the barrel was clever, I wouldn't have thought of that.  Hopefully it will pay off for her.

I can't blame Nikki too much for freaking out about the cut.  She's out in the middle of nowhere, and has a lot of work to do with that hand.  If she had gone to the emergency room they probably would have stuck a few stitches in it.  I'm sure she was mainly worried about getting it infected.  

Donny was talking about his family, and I thought "Here we go..", another person who is going to tap out because he misses his family.  At least Sam (last year's winner) was able to use his family as motivation to stay out there longer.  

I might have thought Donny should have waited to see if his intestinal problems would pass, but given his history of health problems, no.

• Love 4
(edited)

Was there a 'meet the contestants' episode?

I enjoyed watching Ray. He seemed truly joyful 

Donny - no way he's in his late 30s! That was a pretty good shot through the bushes to get that muskrat! But, I guess the little guy got his revenge in the end. That's a shame, because that was a cozy looking campsite he had

I'm interested to see how Michelle fares

I am so happy that this show is back, baby!

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • Love 9
22 hours ago, Tanstaafl said:

Donny - you have a "widowmaker" heart attack at the age of 37 and figure that it would be a good idea to challenge yourself with possible starvation, exposure, hypothermia, not to mention the other physical and psychological demands of "Alone"?

I knew that was a bad idea the moment they told his story.  My boss (in his 40's) had a massive heart attack just over a year ago (the widow maker kind,) and he's still not nearly back to being 100%.  Of course he didn't do the cardiac rehab like he was supposed to, so there's that, but he still has physical limitations, especially with not overexerting himself.  I was surprised that the producers okayed Donny with his medical history.

10 hours ago, Tanstaafl said:

I'm just waiting for Michelle to make a couple of steel drums out of the barrel and form her own band.

I was worried she was going to cut herself on that rust bucket and then need a tetanus shot!  I'm sure they had to have current immunizations, but if one does cut themselves on something rusty, don't they like for you to go ahead and get another shot?  I'm not sure on that one.  

I agree with the poster that mentioned bringing super glue.  It would be one of my go-to items!  I use it frequently for little cuts.  It works wonders! 

• Love 4

A million thoughts:

The lake would have Great Lake trout but they are generally a deep water fish. At my cottage we caught them in 250 feet of water with lead core line. Pike and bass in the bays. 

That cut was deep, but small and easy to clean. She overreacted but including it in the show was a little lame.

Donny shouldn’t have gone on the show and the producers shouldn’t have taken him.  His shelter really did look good, and insulation will be critical  I agree tha5 he should have boiled or poached his catch.

Would have liked to see more of people shelter building or strategizing catching big game.

I’m finding this season a little tougher to get into.  The presentation of the participants seems more disjointed.  I do feel like they have some really capable contestants.

Finally, they need to get rid of the corny foreshadowing of the rescue boat, and replaying the last 15 seconds before commercial after commercial.  It’s outdated.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, pagooey said:

It all made me think, again, that if men were subject to menstrual periods, society would break down completely. 

I'm male and could not agree more!  These "tough guys" whining is as embarrassing as it is constant.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I didn't miss the "meet n greet" episode. That always bores me.

I agree Donny should not have been there. Also I was not impressed with his shelter at all, unless it was meant to tide him over while he built his real one. These people are going to need a serious shelter in that kind of cold. Like some of the ones we've seen in past seasons: with a floor, with a door, with a fireplace/chimney or firepit, with a safe food storage area away from the actual shelter. Sheltered from the wind, not too exposed, where the snow won't bury it, or flood if it warms up and the snow melts. When that brutal cold and wind gets started, they are going to need sturdy walls, serious insulation and a nonstop fire burning. I'm thinking of that couple two seasons ago where she actually built a for-real log cabin. Food storage will be critical. You need so many more calories in the bitter cold. As miserable as V.I. was, it never got that cold. This is going to be a challenge even for experienced outdoorsy types. People who have never experienced bone-chilling cold day after day have no clue how paralyzing it is.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Tighthead said:

Donny shouldn’t have gone on the show and the producers shouldn’t have taken him.  His shelter really did look good, and insulation will be critical

That gives me an idea for if they are looking to vary the format.  Instead of doing something like bringing in partners (which no one seemed to like), maybe some sort of option for switching sites when someone taps out.  Like if someone is unhappy with their site, when someone leaves they get the option of moving to their site - it could be blind, or they could go check it out.  This would include whatever shelter is there, but probably the motivating force would be better food sources.  

They could have some sort of random rotation for who gets first pick.  Of course, one problem with this idea is it clues in at least one person when someone taps out.  And some might not like that a contestant could end up living in a shelter someone else built.  But I'd still rather see something like that than partners.  Oh well, just thinking aloud.

• Love 6

With that heart condition Donny should never have been cast. As soon as I saw the charred muskrat that was raw on the inside I knew he was doomed. 

I've had food poisoning before, I mean the kind where you feel like a tube of toothpaste being stomped on repeatedly by Godzilla, and it is the WORST. It is relentless and it HURTS and I had the benefit of a warm bed, modern plumbing, and bottles of Pedialyte to help me through it. Being out in the woods would have made it 10 times the nightmare; I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did and I hope they had a toilet on the boat.

• Love 10
21 hours ago, qtpye said:

Would it of helped if he had boiled the muskrat in a pot with some greens (if he had found any)? Perhaps if he made a soup he would not of gotten sick? 

Yes, that is exactly what he should have done. He could finish it off over a fire if he wanted the crispy skin.

• Love 2
On 6/13/2019 at 11:45 PM, Tanstaafl said:

Do we know that Donny had the "widowmaker" heart attack (which is caused by a build-up of cholesterol) as opposed to let's say a blood clot to the heart?  I have a good friend that had the latter kind of heart attack several years ago at the age of 41 and he's been cleared by his doctor for pretty much any kind of intense physical activity as long as he takes his meds.  I would like to assume that production would have made sure Donny was completely cleared by doctors and independent medical exams before allowing him to go on the show.  I would hope they would at least do that.  Although you never know with these reality shows as they often seem to show a lack of good judgment in casting.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:01 AM, humbleopinion said:

Alone production should consider putting a tube of super glue for wounds for  the knuckleheads who can't stop from harming themselves....coveting her neon orange OR mittens...I need a pair of those puppies...

I know, I was wincing when I saw how recklessly she was using that knife.  I cook a lot so I'm very tuned into handling knives correctly and that was just unbelievable.  Sure, I've cut myself a few times, but really not that much considering how much I use knives on a regular basis.  And I would NEVER under any circumstances do anything close to what she was doing there.  I don't get how these people that are supposed to be "experts" do such stupid things.  It just boggles my mind.  OK, I already see Nikki as a kook so that's part of the problem with her, but geez Louise, how stupid could you possibly BE?  I know we've seen it before on this show but it still boggles me that so-called "experts" can make such outrageous fatal rookie mistakes, especially with knives for some reason, and usually within the first few days.  I know that on cooking competitions people are rushing and that makes them more prone to cutting themselves but why out in peaceful nature where there's no time clock to heap on additional pressure?  It almost makes me wonder if there isn't some sort of phenomenon involved in this.  Like maybe the intense stress and hunger in the first week makes them make huge errors in judgment. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

I've had food poisoning before, I mean the kind where you feel like a tube of toothpaste being stomped on repeatedly by Godzilla, and it is the WORST. It is relentless and it HURTS . . . 

Describing the pain, I said . . . "The last time my abdominal area hurt this bad, a baby popped out."

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

I was worried when I saw Nikki's cut tho it didn't look too bad to the eye from the outside, I worried about her tendons which are very close to the surface on that part of the hand. I had an identical cut to the top of my fore finger area many years ago from washing dishes and sticking my hand into a glass which had a chip on its edge and swirling it around inside there with a soapy sponge. Turns out I nicked the tendon and had to have micro surgery on it where they sewed two button like objects onto the top of the finger to hold the tendon in place while it healed. If I hadn't had that done, I would have lost the ability to move or flex that finger forever. 

It was on my right hand and I couldn't even my drive stickshift car for fear of pulling pressure on the stabilizing buttons. Healing takes a good 4 to 6 weeks too. I hope she missed the tendon or she's going to have a problem with that finger for the rest of her life.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

It almost makes me wonder if there isn't some sort of phenomenon involved in this.  Like maybe the intense stress and hunger in the first week makes them make huge errors in judgment. 

I noticed this too and have wondered if it is the camera. Self-consciousness, trying to be funny, or trying to look at ease using some tool or weapon -- or just generally distracted (is the camera angle right? did I remember to put on my pants? is the red light on? how much battery did that one have left?). Like people who step off the edge of the Grand Canyon taking a selfie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Not gonna miss Donny too much. He was a little too camera aware for me. I actually liked him better after he dropped the "manly man/I have no weaknesses/ain't no heart attack keeping me down" persona and started snot bawling. 

Nikki has a voice that grates. She sounds like a whiny teenager, and she laughs at her own jokes, which aren't funny. I was kind of hoping she might go, too! 

Jordan has a legit beef. That would piss me off, too.

Ray is my fav. 

• Love 15
On 6/15/2019 at 12:18 AM, PaperTree said:

I'm male and could not agree more!  These "tough guys" whining is as embarrassing as it is constant.

The possibility of infection would be a thing to worry about, I'd think. 

Do they have antibiotics?

• Love 2

No medicines unless someone is under a doctor’s prescription and those will be provided when needed. I think most first aid kits contain an anti-bacterial cream, such as Neosporin. She appeared to be putting some type of cream on her wound.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Jordan has a legit beef. That would piss me off, too.

If he walked and found the camp of someone who tapped out, could he stay there?  I guess that would be a long walk, 10 km?, but he is going to have to move around to find food.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Blackie said:

If he walked and found the camp of someone who tapped out, could he stay there?  I guess that would be a long walk, 10 km?, but he is going to have to move around to find food.

No, the contestants are only allowed to roam within their assigned area.  Even if they could wonder outside the area, they'd find little at another's campsite as they dismantle the site in the spirit of "leave no trace".

• Useful 2
  • Love 3