Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Tainted

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, sharkerbaby said:

No, the contestants are only allowed to roam within their assigned area.

I think it was last season that someone’s designated area had a road that ran the backside, and civilization was very close by.

2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I think it was last season that someone’s designated area had a road that ran the backside, and civilization was very close by.

I remember a road mentioned when they were on Vancouver Island, but last season they were in Mongolia. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I remember a road mentioned when they were on Vancouver Island, but last season they were in Mongolia. 

I didn't know that.....I bet that was a welcome sound if you could hear someone driving down the road.

• Love 1

I missed Thursday so just watched last night. 

I liked Donny  and was sorry to see him go but I agree that he should not have been allowed to go out there with his medical history.  Bad bad judgment not cooking that rat thing thoroughly. I think it was the dehydration issue that made his decision.  Even healthy people who get food poisoning risk a heart attack if they're not able to keep some fluids down. I remember having to take a tablespoon full of pedialyte every 15 minutes to stay out of the hospital when my doctor was giving me the hairy eyeball of "you need to go".  

I too saw how Nikki was flailing that knife around and thought "well here it comes" then there it was.  She was already bugging me but I didn't wish for her to get hurt.  Odd though, that her finding her jokes so funny she laughs out loud bothered me when I find myself funny as hell and sometimes (okay many times) I'm the only one.  I just feel that as long as I'm entertained that's all that matters.  Hmmmm. 

I sure thought it was going to be Ray Jay that had to tap due to those parasites.  Eeewwww. So far Ray is my favorite and I was ready to be sorry to lose him.  Hopefully, he cooked his fish well.  I'm rooting for him to keep his great attitude and last to the end but we've seen good attitudes disappear with hunger and harsh conditions before.  

"Catch me some fish, bitch"  may be my favorite line of the season.  Michelle is my official back up favorite.  Hope the barrel is obedient.  

Burned out area.....shame on you producers.  

• Love 7

There definitely seems to be two definite groups of contestants this season - intelligent people and annoying idiots.

Jordan - Got ripped off with his location.  I'll be interested to see what the pros are to his site, because so far it looks like one big con.

Ray - Love him.  One of my favourites.

Nikki - Annoying.  Please stop talking.

Donny - That man is not long for this world.  He looks much older than he really is and has already had a massive heart attack.  I think he got some crappy genetics and is aging really quickly.

Something that is confusing me is the medication situation.  I assumed no meds were allowed, after they had that woman with MS on the show.  I thought she wasn't allowed any medications, which is why she was using plants to treat the disease.  There's no way Donny wasn't on any medications, with his history.  Was he taking them?

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Token said:

Something that is confusing me is the medication situation.  I assumed no meds were allowed, after they had that woman with MS on the show.  I thought she wasn't allowed any medications, which is why she was using plants to treat the disease.  There's no way Donny wasn't on any medications, with his history.  Was he taking them?

Don't know about the MS woman but the chyron (is that what it's called?) said they were allowed prescription meds. I think.

• Love 2

Jeez give the medical issues a break!  The guys on heart meds... half the f'n planets on heart meds!!  He didn't punch out because of his heart, he wussed out plain and simple.  Big wilderness dude can't even cook a meal correctly. Even without half a mill paycheck on the line I'd boil the he'll out of everything and I'm survival-clueless!  

And the gal with the cut... I'm surprised they didn't medi-vac her out of there! There had to be a good 2 ozs of blood all over the place. I wonder how she got it to look so traumatic/dramatic with such little blood?  Thank God the medical kit included baby bandages! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

netting is the only feasible answer to the food problem, under their conditions, You should braid 4 segments of wire and try to foot snare a moose or caribou to a drag log, make 2 hooks out of each BIG hook, make treblehooks out of the  50 single hooks and try to catch small mammals, fish and fowl with them, make netting covered "boxtraps", at least one net fishweir, a seine and a netting duck trap, or 2. The ducks, being bigger, can be caught with much larger mesh size than fish, and thus, the net can be woven faster and takes less cordage to make, too. A 4 ft wide,  4 t tall, 20 ft long trap, with 4x4 ft end doors, can catch  half  a dozen ducks at once, , if it's  triggered by an arrow pulling the pins which hold up the end doors. That arrow should be left behind the brush screen that lets him sneak up within 25m or so of the trap. You see, the arrow, fired at the right angle and direction, will snatch the tripline up much more swiftly than you can  manage by hand. The ducks should mostly be kept alive, to keep you from having to preserve their flesh. their pen will serve as bait for weasels, foxes, lynx etc, which can also be trapped. Just tie the duck's legs and wings until you can make a net pen for them. Duck flesh has twice the calories per lb of deer vension, so 20 ducks provides just as much food as a 100 b deer. Not all the ducks will be present at the catch, so you can repeat it several times.  Moving and disguising the trap may let you repeat that success, and so might having migrating ducks pass thru your area.

yep, gotta boil, then stew everything, or at least, kebab the hell out of very small bits of food on skewers, over COALS not flames. I learned that at weinie roasts, age 6. Where have these people been, ferchrissakes.? Used a forked stick to roast small chunks of hot dogs at a time, and avoid the flames that spring up from the fat-drippings.

the presence of roads, or even homes nearby means nothing, since the contestants are not allowed out of their areas and any human contact, other than the once weekly medical checkups, is cause for being kicked out of the contest. In fact, being able to SEE such tempting "outs" might make the stress WORSE, for some people. I'd just ignore such temptations.

• Love 1

the shelter thing is a mistake. Stick with just a simple tarp shelter until you've been there at least a month and eaten at least 100 lbs of food. If you can't manage that, you'll win only by being fat and lucky. the shelter should remain portable, so you can move it to where the squaw wood is as of yet un-consumed. You dont want to waste lots of time cutting and hauling wood back to a "permanent" shelter. Remember, this is for 3 months, at most. Nobody's ever going to get very far into the winter on this show. it's set up that way.  Where you need to be for optimal foraging is probably not where you'l need to be in order to "hole up" for the winter. For the latter, you want a 4x4x8 ft dugout, stuffed with a foot of compressed debris all around you, so that you dont need a fire.  They will all have wussed-out long before it gets truly cold. So there's no need to concern yourself with "prepping" for that.