Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Day 9: 7:00 PM-8:00 PM

maraleia

Jack and Chloe have a plan in place to eliminate the terrorist threat before any more attacks rock London. With no time to spare and lives on the line, Jack and Kate pursue crucial leads in an attempt to gain the upper hand on the incredibly intense circumstances. Meanwhile, key players reveal their true colors.

"The only death on my head...is yours!" Jack Fucking Bauer, folks. In full effect.

Kudos to those who called Chloe shenanigans on Heller's "death". They do a lot of screwy things on this show, but it does have its own internal logic. If Heller had actually bought it, he would've gotten the silent clock.

If this was a normal season, the Jordan/Novarro discovery would be the Hour 17 pivot.

• Love 1

Well, Margot and Ian managed to be really creepy with each other at the end there. They made nice matching brain splatters on the pavement, how fitting. Though I did goggle that Jack threw her out that window, it was pretty awesome.

So, did Simone survive? I don't think they said.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ha, so some of us were right about Heller being alive. I don't get how the plot has suddenly become the override device, but farewell Cat Stark. I feel so bad for Jordan, dying like that. Is the tech guy dead, I missed the scene where Benjamin Bratt's character took him out.

So is the President's chief of staff really not up to anything? Beyond his treason, I was convinced that he was drugging Heller and generally scheming from the start, but maybe I was wrong.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Simone is not quite in Behroozland, since she wasn't well when we last saw her, but she was alive and in custody.

Previews always spoil: Ian going out the window was pretty obvious last week, but Jack skipping the details and defenestrating Margot was unexpected... and funny in some macabre way.  Probably because I could only think of Commando:

Rae Dawn Chong: "What happened to Solly?"

Ahnuld: "I let him go."

Belcheck wins the line of the night for "Belcheck.  I only have one name.  Like Madonna."  On top of "I'm not an American citizen, and this is not America."

...which is also funny considering how much they marginalized the Brits while in the middle of London.

Navarro/Cross/Chloe/THE MOTHER OF ALL OVERRIDES is potentially interesting.  Though... Season Four.  You kinda already did this sort of thing, writers.

• Love 2

Jack skipping the details and defenestrating Margot was unexpected... and funny in some macabre way. 

And now I'm kicking myself for missing the opportunity to use that word! Defenestrate is my favorite $3 word!

• Love 1

So they did an homage to "Speed" with dumb ass who can't stay still when looping a video and "Die Hard" with Jack propelling down the building.

No one notices a sleeper hold being done on a bitch? Good job analysts.

Another Jack Bauer move I loved: After Novarro told the security guard to lock down the exit, Jack didn't even try to explain what was happening, he just threatened to kill the guard, then punched his lights out. Poor guy, he could commiserate with CTU security.

• Love 3

And now I'm kicking myself for missing the opportunity to use that word! Defenestrate is my favorite $3 word!

It speaks volumes of my geeky silliness that as soon as the credits rolled I was hopping back to the computer to see if I could use the word before anyone else did, because that scene should be right up there on the list of Epic Defenestrations.

I almost forgot to mention: My actual immediate response to that scene was to say "Jack Bauer: This man ran out of f*cks to give years ago."

And now back to nitpicking the convenient contrivances that make this show possible: All of the various destinations being within about two minutes of each other (as usual), and evidently poor ol' Jordan managed to raise enough of a ruckus that someone called the police, who responded promptly to the scene despite London about to be blown up any second and people trying to escape everywhere.  Topped off with the responding officer being the guy that Kate now owes a ton of favors to from earlier.

• Love 1

Navarro/Cross/Chloe/THE MOTHER OF ALL OVERRIDES is potentially interesting.  Though... Season Four.  You kinda already did this sort of thing, writers.

Well to be fair, one has to wonder how many potential terrorist plots have gone unused by this point.  How many different types of nukes, missiles, and viruses can there be?  That said, I was actually getting vibes more along the season 7 Completely Imaginary Plot (CIP) Device featured early in the season that could cripple/override anything.  Seems to be a similar situation about to transpire here.

I thought it was a pretty solid episode tonight.  You naturally have to look past a few things (such as Secret Service not seeming to care about the president's whereabouts when he called into the office), but there was some good action scenes, and great one-liners.  "The only death on my hands today........is yours."  

This felt like an odd episode to me because it was a transition episode to a new plot, and yet there's only 3 episodes left.  Feels like its just getting started for another 12 hour shift!  I was thinking the drone plot would be the entire season.

• Love 4

I've kinda been watching this show, so some details may have escaped me. First, my mouth dropped open when Jack sent Margot out the window. Unexpected. Loved it.

Second, while I hoped the president might still be alive, I could also see someone sacrificing themselves, especially if they had Alzheimer's. So, I could have lived with it if he were dead.

Third, help me catch up - who was Chloe all chummy with in the car? What is he to her and what is he to the general scheme of things? Why did she go in the building and then back into the car? Is she really done with Jack or is all this some kind of game to get more info from whoever it is in the car?

Fashion note - black eyeliner all around the eye is a harsh look on white chicks. Chloe needs a new look.

I promise to pay more attention to the show from now on. : )  This was an exciting episode.

Was anything mentioned about the President's resignation?  Can the Secretary of State do anything besides accept it?

So was that stuff with the feed looping shown at the end of last episode?  I guess at least they showed the last few seconds before the explosion from the drone feed so that we didn't notice that Heller could have slipped out before impact.  It sounded from their conversation at the end of last time that like Jack did not give Heller a heads-up in advance...did Heller trust Jack that much when he told him to move out of line?

Kudos to Kim Raver for something very subtle: When she first talked to Jack, her tone was very calm and with no trace of anger, although she must have known that he was in on Heller's plan.  I knew at that moment that Audrey did indeed love Jack more than her husband - as Mark feared.

Gotta say that Jordan's death surprised me - and was meaningless, since Navarro was still found out quickly.  Here I thought that Jordan was going to be Kate's Chloe if Kiefer decides to retire as Jack.  He seemed pretty competent too.

So - Cross and Chloe are in a relationship?  I honestly didn't see that coming.  In retrospect, it explains why they kept giving each other another chance.  I still think that Cross is telling the truth when he told Navarro he was just a middleman - so who is the big bad then?

Finally, that promo from Fox Latin America that mentioned above showed Heller was alive, and it was the one shown right after the last episode.  I'm sure someone got in big trouble for that!

Third, help me catch up - who was Chloe all chummy with in the car?

That's Adrian Cross, the head of the Wikileaks operation that Chloe was a part of when she was picked up by the CIA. Apparently, that's just his hobby, his real business is selling things to the highest bidder.

• Love 1
Third, help me catch up - who was Chloe all chummy with in the car? What is he to her and what is he to the general scheme of things? Why did she go in the building and then back into the car? Is she really done with Jack or is all this some kind of game to get more info from whoever it is in the car?

Chloe is in the car with Adrian Cross, the leader of Open Cell, which is this season's EEEEEVIL analogue to Julian Assange and Wikileaks.  They may have been boinking during the gap between S8 and S9.  As for her leaving the car, presumably she either had to go to the restroom or buy herself a cornetto.

I wonder about the timing of Chloe telling Jack that she managed to loop the feed (and I can't go back to last week and check it with a watch).  When we last see Jack and Heller speaking directly, Jack doesn't have a plan.  Heller walks out onto the field and throws down his hat.  Presumably Chloe gets into the system at this point and tells Jack the plan/does the plan.  The tricky part is then Jack getting Heller off the middle of the pitch before the missile blows a huge crater into the place.

Characters with dialogue on this show have died for less than Jordan did.  The shortened season still could be a factor in having him offed instead of staying around; in a longer season Navarro might have had another hour or two to screw around with things behind the scenes.  Probably the real reason is that having Jordan killed will mean that Kate will have fewer qualms if she has to off Navarro.  Jack, as I mentioned upthread, doesn't have any f*cks left to give.

(edited)

Jack sending Margot out the window was awesome.  I could think of a few Game of Thrones lines that would have been perfect there but I don't want to spoil anything for that show.

Really good episode and the hunt to stop Margo was exciting.  I thought there might have been something between Chloe and Cross although that did catch me by surprise.  Jordan character was wasted but at least it leads into the new season endgame, which should be good.  Belchick is awesome.  Kate shouldn't have been able to throw that grenade with what happened to her arms but it's 24 so...

This episode also racked up some great unintentional humor at the end...

-Margot and her son freaking out when they realized Heller was alive had me laughing.  Those two did get creepy at the end.

-Navarro's facial expressions when he found out about the crappy assassin was pretty funny too.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

After tonight's episode it seemed pretty clear to me that Judy Davis bailed before shooting began because, having been made aware that Margot was not going to be the Ultimate Baddie and would in fact be eliminated a few episodes from the end, she decided it wasn't worth her time and talent. I doubt it was a "personal emergency" which caused her to drop out.

(edited)

It speaks volumes of my geeky silliness that as soon as the credits rolled I was hopping back to the computer to see if I could use the word before anyone else did, because that scene should be right up there on the list of Epic Defenestrations.

All I wanted to do was get online and comment about Starks and their bad habit of falling out of windows. 

Edited by Chairman Meow
  • Love 4

It is nice to know that some basic tenets of the 24 universe remain -- the silent clock has been canon thus far. I would have been ok if Heller had died but it's great that Chloe used some of her hack-fu to save him.

Jack, as I mentioned upthread, doesn't have any f*cks left to give.

I had to rewatch the defenestration again -- while I would not want to run up on the wrong side of Jack, I can appreciate having no f*cks to give.

• Love 1

I was actually clapping when Margot got tossed.  Then I was like well maybe they missed the opportunity to try and get more info out of her, but nah.  They could've pulled her tonsils out via her ass, and she still wouldn't have talked.  So, buh bye, hope you enjoyed your flight.

I still don't get why Navarro just didn't reassign Jordan, like send him to some other office on something urgent.  Having him killed just raised more questions; he's really bad at being a rat.  I say Cross won't let him live - Navarro can't be trusted at all, plus he seems like such a weasel.   Chloe - you in danger, girl.

Just waiting to see who gets to Navarro first - Jack or Kate.    Of course, it'll be Jack taking down Adrian...........toss away my good man.

• Love 3
(edited)

It is nice to know that some basic tenets of the 24 universe remain -- the silent clock has been canon thus far. I would have been ok if Heller had died but it's great that Chloe used some of her hack-fu to save him.

I had to rewatch the defenestration again -- while I would not want to run up on the wrong side of Jack, I can appreciate having no f*cks to give.

The AV Club reviewer wondered if Jack could even live in a civilized world anymore.  It's a fair question though I'm certainly not shedding any tears for Margot.  Jack tossing her out the window was probably the highlight of the season.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
(edited)

When Jack threw Margot out the window I yelled "FUCK YEAH!!!" Finally, Jack Bauer has learned something, namely that every time the baddie suspect is taken into custody they always Always ALWAYS escape, so it is way easier to just toss them out the damn window and call it a fuckin' day. Or a half day, as the case may be. Case closed, problem solved, situation resolved. GO JACK. That? Was a fabulously satisfying moment.

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 6

Yes, the defenestration of Margot was the highlight of tonight's episode.  It got me wondering that life has not been too good to Cat Stark whether in Westeros or 24-land.  She had her husband killed twice.  Her son killed twice.  And then her throat slit and taking a dive through a 5th story window.  She tried it both ways; first she was honorable and then she was evil.  It got her the same result; a straight ticket to the death pool ...

Annnnnnd THAT's how you deal with terrorists...

What a great episode and a great scene.  It was amazing when Jack threw Ian out of the window, but to follow it up with Margot?  Magnificent.  I called my sister during the commercial break right after that scene as I had to say something to somebody.  Got off the phone quick though as I didn't want to miss what was coming up next (however, it being FOX and all, I could have taken a leisurely stroll around the block and still been back before the commercials were over).

I hope that 24 is doing well in the ratings so that they might have another short season next summer.  This has just been too good.  I just love Jack's attitude-just get done what needs to get done and don't worry about niceties.  I also like that those who know him best trust him and his ideas.

One reason I think Chloe is so vital to Jack is that it seems she's the only IT person who doesn't die-upping her value right there...And of course she's in love with the bad guy, because then she'll have to choose between him and Jack (no spoilers, just a guess).

• Love 2

Absolutely!!! I also love how no one is asking Jack how she ended up cuffed and splattered on the sidewalk after he told people she was in custody. Maybe they have learned something too.

• Love 1

I may be alone in this, but I thought the episode was so-so.  I'm sure its because of the shortening to 12 episodes, but it seemed rushed to me, like "lets wrap this up so we can move on to Navarro and whatever Chloe and Adrian are involved in".

Audrey can thank Jack until she is blue in the face, but the bottom line is that if Chloe had not been able to access the feed, she (Audrey) would be looking at Jack the same way she is looking at her soon to be ex husband.

Absolutely!!! I also love how no one is asking Jack how she ended up cuffed and splattered on the sidewalk after he told people she was in custody. Maybe they have learned something too.

She died while trying to escape. 

"The only death on my head...is yours!" Jack Fucking Bauer, folks. In full effect.

I wonder what other one liners they came up with for that scene...

Belchek and Jack are a hell of a team! 

• Love 1

My favorite part has to be Stephen Fry's marvelous reaction to Heller expecting he'd do the same for America. Finally they're getting some good use out of the guy.

• Love 2

Absolutely!!! I also love how no one is asking Jack how she ended up cuffed and splattered on the sidewalk after he told people she was in custody.

She died while trying to escape. 

I wonder what other one liners they came up with for that scene...

Belchek and Jack are a hell of a team! 

It's plausible that she would have committed suicide rather than face capture.  That happens to require getting away from Jack while she's handcuffed and happened to have been shot, but hey, Jack can blame his advanced age.

One-liners: I think Jack's "Say hello to your brother" during the fight with Fayed (I finally remembered his name) still has the lead in the witty Pre-Mortem One-Liner contest.

Belcheck does a good job of radiating "I've seen it all."

• Love 1
"I'm not an American citizen, and this is not America."

My favorite line of the ep.

Well yeah. They treat England like it's the 51st state. No regard for their sovereignty, or nothin'. Team America, yo.

And who DIDN'T think Speed and Old Batman TV series with the looping video and the rope climb down the wall?

Sure, maybe it was more dramatic to have Jack steer the missile into the Thames, but the RAF no-show was a bit off-putting. Way to go, RAF.

Well, Margot and Ian managed to be really creepy with each other at the end there.

It did come dangerously close to a make-out session. The Starks borrowing a page from the Lannisters.

-Navarro's facial expressions when he found out about the crappy assassin was pretty funny too.

I was laughing at the hilarious shushy-face Navarro was making as he choked out the DoD guy. "Shh, quiet now, everything's going to be just fine!"

I remember Adrian telling Chloe that he loved her which is why he was reluctantly helping Jack. I wonder if he is just using her though.

Yes, that relationship was set up a few episodes/hours ago, but my first thought was that she'll be instrumental in sabotaging the override device once she twigs to Adrian's evil-osity.

Finally, Jack Bauer has learned something, namely that every time the baddie suspect is taken into custody they always Always ALWAYS escape, so it is way easier to just toss them out the damn window and call it a fuckin' day.

Satisfying yes, but that act may come back to bite Jack in the ass, unless he has some kind of total immunity. Maybe that's why they're keeping Simone around?

Despite maiming, mutilating,killing/attempting to kill her immediate family, it was nice to see that, at heart, Mom was a "deals a deal" type of gal.

• Love 3

That's what I thought. Don't give her an opportunity to escape, to gain confederates, to spend 20 yrs in jail instead of being executed,  whatev. Get rid of her; cleanse the planet.

Thanks for the info on Cross. I also thought maybe Chloe had to go to the bathroom : ) but I also think things are done for a reason on this show, so dismissed the thought. Still, maybe she just had to go.

• Love 1

I thought it was a great episode, but even though Margot deserved what she got, I'm disappointed that it happened so soon.  The rest of the season to me is going to be a let down.  Michelle Fairley made a great villain (she MUST get a "Best Guest Actress" Emmy next season!) and I feel that without her, I don't care as much.  I couldn't care less about Steve Navarro.  Why doesn't Jack just call Kate and tell her that Navarro stole the doohickey and had Jordan killed?  I couldn't care less about Adrian Cross and his jealousy at the fact that Chloe is more loyal to Jack than she is to him.  I couldn't care less about Mark Boudreau and his jealousy that his wife is soon going to leave him for Jack.  

When Jack said, "the only death on my head tonight is yours".  Uhh, technically not true, did he not just throw Ian out the window?  Would have been nice to have at least gotten a mention of Simone, and whether she is still alive, but "24" is notorious for ambiguous fates.  They never even definitively addressed what happened to President Keeler, did they?  It was just assumed he died offscreen.  Maybe Simone and Behrooz get married and live together in Limbo.

Nitpick... it would have been nice to have shown us exactly how Heller avoided the missile.  We see him standing on the pitch.  Ian and Margot see the video feed and launch the missile.  I could have sworn we were shown a brief glimpse of a figure standing on the field as the missile hit (regular view, not through the video feed).  So how'd they pull it off?  It seemed like he walks out there and but 30 seconds later the missile hits.  When did they have time to loop the feed and he looks to the side and they pull him off?

Did Navarro kill the DoD guy, or just render him unconscious?

Is anyone else really gobsmacked by Jack's actions this season? Yes, I know, he's killed people before, but the crap this season - shooting innocent people in the leg, knocking out god knows how many others, killing Ian and Margot - my god.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'd wondered about Heller upthread.  There are a couple of minutes of wiggle room between his walking out and the explosion, but he still has to run across the field to get clear of the giant explosion, which seems... awkward.  Maybe Jack got one of those golf carts that get used to pull injured players out.

Ian was leaning out the window, Jack just helped him along since it seemed that Ian wanted to go outside.  "What was I gonna do, push him back in?"

Jack will probably call Kate once he gets a chance; initiating pursuit recklessly by himself is just his way.  He didn't even have time to tell the security guard what was going on before breaking out the pistol whip.

Navarro just choked the guy unconscious.  Usually the neck-snapping kills have more, well, snapping.

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor
(edited)
Uhh, technically not true, did he not just throw Ian out the window?

Well technically he yanked a guy through a window.  Not sure it makes much of a difference to Ian.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 2

I loved this episode from start to finish. Oh. My!

This felt like an odd episode to me because it was a transition episode to a new plot, and yet there's only 3 episodes left.  Feels like its just getting started for another 12 hour shift!  I was thinking the drone plot would be the entire season.

Totally! I kept moaning "this caaaaan't be over in just a few weeks!" all through the epihour. But really, the time jump factor is now really interesting! How on earth are they going to fit everything into the rest of the episodes?

Was anything mentioned about the President's resignation?  Can the Secretary of State do anything besides accept it?

Kudos to Kim Raver for something very subtle: When she first talked to Jack, her tone was very calm and with no trace of anger, although she must have known that he was in on Heller's plan.  I knew at that moment that Audrey did indeed love Jack more than her husband - as Mark feared.

So - Cross and Chloe are in a relationship?  I honestly didn't see that coming.  In retrospect, it explains why they kept giving each other another chance.  I still think that Cross is telling the truth when he told Navarro he was just a middleman - so who is the big bad then?

We were wondering about the resignation on our couch as well. What's going to come of that? Mark B. might just have that little filey in his back pocket somewhere.

Kiefer had a very sweet moment as well, in the helicopter when Audrey thanked him, he said "You're welcome." and had a goofy, blank stare there for a few seconds and then shook it of as if he thought "Oh, yeah, saving the world. Right. On it.".

The Big Bad? Can you say: Behrooz? Or even... N-i-n-a?

As for her leaving the car, presumably she either had to go to the restroom or buy herself a cornetto.

Thanks for the chuckle. Cornetto. Hee!

Jack, as I mentioned upthread, doesn't have any f*cks left to give.

Amen to that! Enough with the bringing in of the suspects. Out the window I say!

And who DIDN'T think Speed and Old Batman TV series with the looping video and the rope climb down the wall?

Speed yes, Adam West, no, but couch-buddy did mention Spiderman.

Couldn't they have done the feedback loop almost as soon as they got to the stadium? There was a fair amount of time showing him on the mound. So he could have been golfcarted away pretty quickly, no?

Wasn't the final scene's suspense built exactly on the fact that Chloe was in a pub, in a poor "working environment", shooing off drunk guys, while not sure if she could break the drone's whatevertechnology in time? "Do what you can and call me back.", Kiefer said and after that it was all split screens, suspense and kaboom.

That Adrian guy is giving me the creeps. Oh, TPTB, please don't kill Chloe off!!

• Love 1
(edited)

Big Baddie? What's Papa Bauer up to these days? I don't remember if he even survived his day, and does anyone else remember that shadowy bluetooth group that I believe was from the same season. Could be a group of baddies.

Very satisfying end to Mommy Dearest. Could have used more 'SPLAT!' however, and, to keep with the creepy Oedipus vibe, she could have landed on top of Ian.

I suspect Simone has been given a one-way ticket to Behroozland. Because that arc is over, there's really no reason to keep her around anymore.   

Edited by WhyOhWhy
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Big Bad? Can you say: Behrooz? Or even... N-i-n-a?

Bank Manager's Wife!

Thanks for the chuckle. Cornetto. Hee!

For a season set in the UK with very little UK, I'm glad to have a chance to get locationally-appropriate references in.

Big Baddie? What's Papa Bauer up to these days?

I think he's assumed to have been blown up during the S6 finale.

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor