Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Day 9: 7:00 PM-8:00 PM

maraleia

I think Simone has been left alive for a reason and will be shown again after the time jump. Wasn't it her genius lovesick puppy of a husband Naveed who invented the override device? Maybe she has something to say about it.

Speaking of the device I guess Cross wants it so he can start a bidding war between the Russians and the Chinese. Maybe the Chinese will target Audrey again as leverage?

I think Simone has been left alive for a reason and will be shown again after the time jump. Wasn't it her genius lovesick puppy of a husband Naveed who invented the override device? Maybe she has something to say about it.

No, the override device was invented by that other boyfriend of hers that she had while faking a Russian accent and wearing a red wig. That he totally failed to notice she was wearing so I guess their bedroom activities weren't that vigorous?

• Love 3

Uhh, technically not true, did he not just throw Ian out the window?

Well technically he yanked a guy through a window.  Not sure it makes much of a difference to Ian.

I thought the difference there was that Jack killed Ian in self-defense (Ian was leaning out with an Uzi to shoot Jack), whereas Margot's death was truly on Jack's hands because she was already captured, he CHOSE to throw her out.

Uhh, technically not true, did he not just throw Ian out the window?

I thought the difference there was that Jack killed Ian in self-defense (Ian was leaning out with an Uzi to shoot Jack), whereas Margot's death was truly on Jack's hands because she was already captured, he CHOSE to throw her out.

And your point is...?
  • Love 1
Well technically he yanked a guy through a window.  Not sure it makes much of a difference to Ian.
I thought the difference there was that Jack killed Ian in self-defense

Well, that's the difference it makes to Jack, but as far as Ian's concerned, dead is dead.  Well, I guess maybe he died happy in the knowledge that Jack wouldn't feel so bad about killing him (in self-defense, true), but I'll bet it never went through his mind. 

The line I liked was buttoning down the location as "the fifth floor - middle suite.  Excuse me but the building is quite large and there is only three suites on the fifth floor?

I so missed the Cross/Chloe romantic connection, I thought he was just her boss in the hacker's club thingy...

Jack is not only immune to electrocution but can toss 2 bodies out of a window and manages to have them almost identical in positions and brain splatters..

Now to find a way to get rid of the Chief of Staff so Jack can get some more love. If not there's Kate... (if I were to choose I'll take Kate over Audrey)

• Love 1
(edited)
Speaking of the device I guess Cross wants it so he can start a bidding war between the Russians and the Chinese.

Works for me.  I can only hope that the Chinese send that same agent who kidnapped Jack and tortured him for a year.  I will never pick another nit on 24 if the following happens: Torture Chinese agent shows up, says 'Hi Jack.', Jack ignores all other objectives and hauls the agent to the fifth floor of Margot's terror hideout and then there's a third brain-splat mark on the pavement.  Jack's got carte blanche (and possibly no season 9) so I say today he settles all family business.  

Extra bonus round: how to use the upcoming 'fast forward' they'll be using to fill out the full 24 hours.  Jack says 'I've got something I have to attend to - be right back', we see Jack on a plane.  We get a shot of an open grave and the camera pans up to the tombstone 'Christopher Henderson'.  Cut back to Jack's Tower of Justice to the ever-increasing number of brain splats as some dry bones clatter to the concrete.  

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 1

Now to find a way to get rid of the Chief of Staff so Jack can get some more love. If not there's Kate... (if I were to choose I'll take Kate over Audrey)

For similar reasons as Kate I liked Renee for Jack as well - he needs someone who can go on a tactical mission him. However having said that, obviously Jack's love for Audrey is expressed (not implied) and unconditional. And if he were to retire to be a granddaddy to little Terri then Audrey would be more suited to that transition than Kate would. But until than he's no good for Audrey unfortunately.

I find Audrey immensely more attractive than Kate.  She is elegant, dresses well, and takes care of herself.  Granted, Kate is a field agent and probably doesn't care what she looks like, but still.  I can't get over Kate's dark brown eyebrows and the fact that she looks like she could be balding.  Her hair is so thin looking.  Kate is a good agent, and a good partner to Jack, and they should leave it at that, otherwise she would likely die.

This was episode 9, are there really only three hours left?  I hope this show comes back.  I've missed it more than I thought I did.  There's nothing else on TV right now that gives me an adrenaline rush like this show does.

Given that the "Maltese Falcon" (override device) has been stolen, and is apparently on its way to Adrian Cross, I am guessing the entire story was always about "the bird".  It seems like there will be a "time jump" (allowing everyone else time for the same break Chloe had) and reposition themselves to advance the story. 

The question of President Heller's "resignation" needs to be addressed soon.

• Love 1
The question of President Heller's "resignation" needs to be addressed soon.

Wouldn't be 24 without a President resigning?

Among the questions here: Whether anyone else has seen the resignation letter beyond Mark and Audrey.  Whether they managed to grab the VP and swear him in during the five minutes that everyone thought that Heller was dead.  Whether Heller has a chance to tear the paper into little bits.  And finally, the $64000 question, whether they'll just 25th Amendment him (again, this is 24) because people now know that he's of deteriorating mind.

• Love 1

I find Audrey immensely more attractive than Kate.  She is elegant, dresses well, and takes care of herself.  Granted, Kate is a field agent and probably doesn't care what she looks like, but still.  I can't get over Kate's dark brown eyebrows and the fact that she looks like she could be balding.  Her hair is so thin looking.  Kate is a good agent, and a good partner to Jack, and they should leave it at that, otherwise she would likely die.

Ah, that's why it's so handy that different people have different tastes. I definitely think they have roughed up Yvonne's (Kate) looks, she was drop-dead gorgeous on Chuck. On the other hand,  I think Audrey is an insipid, entitled old hag. I've never liked her since the first moment she appeared on the screen. I completely blame Kim Raver, think she's a terrible actress and plain=looking just compounds my incomprehension as to why Jack would ever date her, let alone fall madly in love. Obviously I'm in the minority, the writers/producers must adore Raver, because they KEEP BRINGING HER BACK. I was definitely willing to lose Heller if it meant she would leave my screen immediately. I find him to be a boring old coot anyway, guess the chestnuts didn't fall far from the tree.

I've been a Jack-Chloe worshipper anyway, ever since she joined the show. She's obviously the only one that's his equal in smarts and chutzpah. Think she did a terrific job when she was thrust into the field. (Much better than poor Jordan anyway). I did see a promo shot of Kiefer with his leading ladies and was pleasantly surprised to see that Mary Lynn was the best looking of the women. Yvonne and Kim didn't hold a candle to her. She may not have classical beauty, but she definitely knows how to dress to accentuate her positive traits. Her hair and makeup were fantastic! 

• Love 3

I'm not holding my breath for a happily-everafter-finale for this season. Not even if TPTB are serious about no more 24 (pthooey!). They're cooking up something that'll make us cry our eyes out. Pure speculation, of course,

What I'm hoping for is a cliffhanger that promises a next season. 24LAD in Moscow?

The line I liked was buttoning down the location as "the fifth floor - middle suite.  Excuse me but the building is quite large and there is only three suites on the fifth floor?

I got the impression she was referring to the location, as in the middle of the floor. Or the two other suites were just huge and Margot took the cheap deal. Real estate in London is not cheap, not even with a terrorista's income! Oh, well, not that it matters anymore, now that she base jumped Jack Bauer style. Wheeeeeee splat.

Wouldn't be 24 without a President resigning?

And finally, the $64000 question, whether they'll just 25th Amendment him (again, this is 24) because people now know that he's of deteriorating mind.

Do they, really? Ok, Audrey, Mark, Jeeves and Jack know now. They didn't have time to announce it around already, or did I miss something?

Of course in 24land the presidents come and go and swearing someone new in doesn't really make a difference. Was just watching s4 with Ex-prez Palmer rushing to that no good slimebag Logan's rescue, when he was busy panicking down in the bomb shelter.

Makes me wonder if we're going to meet the VP. They still have a shot at flying him/her to London before the finale. Ooh, the suspense!

Really Jack?  You rescued Chloe from the CIA site where she was being tortured only 8 hours ago, and now you want her to waltz right back in there to help you?  I don't think so.  And screw you for not even maybe thinking that she might have a problem going back.  (granted she had other plans anyway, regardless of where he wanted her to go)

Well, that's the difference it makes to Jack, but as far as Ian's concerned, dead is dead.  Well, I guess maybe he died happy in the knowledge that Jack wouldn't feel so bad about killing him (in self-defense, true), but I'll bet it never went through his mind.

I think the only thing going through Ian's mind was the paving stone.  (what, too soon?  ;-)

And they killed Jordan....you bastards!!!!  (would have much preferred Heller to be dead - although nice work show, keeping William Devane's name until the closing credits)

I really thought he was going to make it out, and that when Kate got to the scene he'd have spilled the beans on Navarro.

But I guess they had to have Jack be the one to find the mole, grrrrr...

• Love 2

Do they, really? Ok, Audrey, Mark, Jeeves and Jack know now. They didn't have time to announce it around already, or did I miss something?

It is purely speculation on my part, considering the show's track record on such matters.  Heller could have included the information in his resignation letter, since it would undercut Margot's moral victory (though doing so would also cloud his own record since people would then question all of the decisions he'd made).

If they don't throw in a VP plot because of the shortened season, then it'll probably remain quiet information in the hands of the few who do know.

Amen to that! Enough with the bringing in of the suspects. Out the window I say!

Glad Jack did away with the cliched speech before doing away with Margot.  Hi Margot, bye Margot, enjoy the flight.  Probably won't enjoy that landing thought.

Is it possible that Chloe is in on Cross's plan to get the override device and sell it?  I am trying to remember all of her actions so far. She spent most of her time helping Jack find Margot and get the device, maybe so she and Arian could get there hands on it - they couldn't get it from Margot without Jack's help.  On the other hand, if she was trying to get the device then she probably would have told Jack she would take a look at it, then have Cross "kidnap" her and it (she would be in on the kidbapping).  So, whew! I just convinced myself that Chloe is still on the good side, despite the eyeliner.

There would still be a middle suite if there were 5 suites or 11 suites or any odd number.  But how did he know which side of the building?

There would still be a middle suite if there were 5 suites or 11 suites or any odd number.  But how did he know which side of the building?

It's the side with the target on the pavement below.

• Love 3
But how did he know which side of the building?

Come on now, this is 24, you can't be asking rationale questions like that about a show like this! The entire point is for Jack Bauer to kick ass and take names. These pesky questions are too realistic for this show. The only way to really watch 24, is to sit back and be the show's bitch, reality be damned.

• Love 7

It is purely speculation on my part, considering the show's track record on such matters.  Heller could have included the information in his resignation letter, since it would undercut Margot's moral victory (though doing so would also cloud his own record since people would then question all of the decisions he'd made).

If they don't throw in a VP plot because of the shortened season, then it'll probably remain quiet information in the hands of the few who do know.

Oh, I get it now. Good point, him maybe including the information on the resignation. I sure hope they won't bore us with a VP plot, we running out of time for all things Jack!

Come on now, this is 24, you can't be asking rationale questions like that about a show like this! The entire point is for Jack Bauer to kick ass and take names. These pesky questions are too realistic for this show. The only way to really watch 24, is to sit back and be the show's bitch, reality be damned.

Amen to that!

But how did he know which side of the building?
This is a show that loves to throw out meaningless technobabble.  Like a few weeks ago when Jordan and Navarro were talking about the Phoenix Rebirth protocol, or something like this.  I have no doubt Jack was equipped with the latest Hailbrittaniatrope, which pings when near the presence of distinguished English ladies who married an Arab terrorist and became radicalised.  The White House was also kind enough to lend Jack the use of the Ohshitmeter, which tells him when to fortuitously duck out of the way when someone is about to send a hail of bullets towards him.

24 wouldn't be 24 without Jack Bauer doing improbable Jack Bauer things.

• Love 2

I'm afraid Kate is out of the picture for Jack. She is married to someone who is no doubt about to found innocent of his crimes and will be set free.

Sigh... Why did they bring 24 back only to make it so formulaic and tired?

Anyway after 9 episodes of ridiculousness how about Audrey's number being saved on Jack's phone?????

• Love 1

Tossing Margot from the window seemed right in keeping with Jack's age.   Everything about it seemed to say "I don't have time for this shit anymore."

Great episode, though I wish Yvonne had been more than back-up.

• Love 1

I'm afraid Kate is out of the picture for Jack. She is married to someone who is no doubt about to found innocent of his crimes and will be set free.

Isn't he dead? For some reason I thought he was dead, like maybe he killed himself after being disgraced. Has this ever been said on the show or am I making it up?
  • Love 1

I thought he was in prison and they divorced.

Clearly, they didn't cover this detail well enough, everybody has a different story like the game telephone. Purple monkey dishwasher.

Tossing Margot from the window seemed right in keeping with Jack's age.   Everything about it seemed to say "I don't have time for this shit anymore."

Plus, he doesn't have to worry about losing his job, so why get hung up on details like not killing people unless it is in self defense. 

Although, I doubt he would have been any kinder and gentler with Margot if he still worked for CTU.  And they would have let him stick around anyway. I can't imagine anyone firing Jack, putting him on probation, or even putting a note in his file ("killed confirmed terrorist without being directly in danger") 

I got nervous because of that crazy English thing where they call the second floor the first floor, the third floor the second floor, and all that. So when Jack was told "fifth floor," I wanted him to say, "Is that an American fifth floor as in five floors from the street? Or an English fifth floor as in six floors from the street? Because, you know, I've only got 30 seconds."

• Love 5

I do love the way that, having spent hours showing Lady Stark as having a mere handful of followers, now that her lair is discovered, she has an army of men to defend her. Where were they hanging out before - or did she hire them from "Goons R Us"?

I get that I'm meant to consider any villains acting against AMURICA! (Fuck Yeah!) as having lives only worthy of being a smear on the pavement and that Jack is not actually in the CIA, but didn't he think that they might want to know how Lady Stark got the override device? Even as a rogue agent, he seems to be devoted to protecting his country, so you'd think he'd want the CIA to uncover exactly how Lady Stark came to be in possession of the Maguffin.

Incidentally, what exactly was TerrorSon (or rather, TerrorSon2) planning on doing when he proposed running away? At that point, they were being attacked by the CIA tac team on the ground floor and by Jack from the roof - unless he was planning on shooting his way out (which could happen on 24) he really had nowhere to go.

And on the subject of idiots, what exactly was wrong with Navrro? He's a CIA Station Chief and he needs some hacker to get him out of there? He knew he was dealing under the table and yet he had no plan for running? He needs a quick conversation with Michael Weston!

Leighdear I'm just SO relieved they got to set up a perimeter!

And they’re just as effective when set up by baddies! Well, I guess it was marginally more effective as it did at least delay our heroes almost long enough for Lady Stark to hit her target.

Boundary he needs someone who can go on a tactical mission him.

The couple that slays together, stays together? Besides, I don't want Kate & Jack to consummate their relationship - it's mean she'd have to die (well, I guess it's possible he could die if Keifer wants to give up the role).

Ceindreadh Really Jack?  You rescued Chloe from the CIA site where she was being tortured only 8 hours ago, and now you want her to waltz right back in there to help you?

Needschocolate Is it possible that Chloe is in on Cross's plan to get the override device and sell it?

That would be a twist I hadn't seen coming and makes sense in character. So probably never going to happen.

(edited)

I do love the way that, having spent hours showing Lady Stark as having a mere handful of followers, now that her lair is discovered, she has an army of men to defend her. Where were they hanging out before - or did she hire them from "Goons R Us"?

I get that I'm meant to consider any villains acting against AMURICA! (Fuck Yeah!) as having lives only worthy of being a smear on the pavement and that Jack is not actually in the CIA, but didn't he think that they might want to know how Lady Stark got the override device? Even as a rogue agent, he seems to be devoted to protecting his country, so you'd think he'd want the CIA to uncover exactly how Lady Stark came to be in possession of the Maguffin.

Since I'd been snarking on whether or not Margot would suddenly have an army of mooks handy, it was amusing to be proven right about the abrupt appearance of plenty of cannonfodder.

Jack already knew how Margot got the override, because he started out following Yates, which led to Yates getting killed by Simone, which led to them figuring out who Simone was, which led to Margot.  You're right that there was probably useful information to be had from Margot about various other things, which they weren't going to get from having to pick her brain up with a blotter, but, as noted previously, Jack Has No F**ks Left To Give.

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor

I had images of Ian and Margot getting away in Jack's helicopter.  Glad that didn't happen.  Margot finally got interesting to me this episode, and then, BAM!

As hard as it is to look at the scarecrow that is Benjamin Bratt, I thought he had a good turn in this episode as well.  His storyline is beyond stupid, but I believed him as getting progressively more tense and desperate.

WhoAmIWorkingFor If they don't throw in a VP plot because of the shortened season, then it'll probably remain quiet information in the hands of the few who do know.

It strikes me that while IRL a President is unsuccessful if he isn't re-elected, in 24 he (or she) is lucky to complete a whole term! I think David Palmer is the only President who has managed it (and he left under a cloud, pulling out of his re-election bid).