Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: The Last of the Starks

Message added by Meredith Quill

ADVISORY

If you disagree with another poster, do it civilly, or risk moderation measures. 

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, UNOSEZ said:

She would've had a better leg to stand on if she at least made sure she killed masters who killed slaves.. She didn't even check...

Trying to imagine this deleted scene:

giphy.gif
giphy.gifgiphy.gif

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, taurusrose said:

Thanks for the Cliff Notes version.  LOL

Why should Jon keep a secret about his identity now?  Robert is dead.  There isn't a threat to him on that level.  I don't believe Dany would harm him because of that, but if she tries...then maybe she is going nuts.

Who says they won't?  Yara asked for independence back in Meereen and Daenerys granted it.  

Have you seen the Iron Islands. No one wants that place. Lol

• LOL 5
1 minute ago, cambridgeguy said:

Eh, no one likes the Iron Islands anyway.  If Dany gives up the North then she forfeits almost half the country - it would be like Russia giving up Siberia.

The show is so predictable at this point that Yara will most likely show up and take on Euron's fleet. Plus, I'm sure she's pissed about Theon.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Helena Dax said:

And yet everyone was cheering at Jon as the hero of the night. Ah, the wonders of having a penis... 

Dany would never have been there if it hadn't been for Jon. He was the one who went south to plead the North's cause, then put his life on the line to bring back proof when Dany dismissed his word about the seriousness of their plight. He was the primary leader of the combined military forces so I'm not surprised that he would get the lion's share of the praise afterwards. 

To me, Dany didn't seem put out because Jon was being proclaimed as "hero". She got upset and more than a little paranoid that Tormund called Jon a "king". From the instant that Jon revealed the secret of his heritage with her, he became a threat to her claims. She knows that if word got out that Jon is actually the rightful heir to the throne, her claim would be null with those who would support a Targaryen restoration. And Jon would find a lot of support with those who don't have any real use for the Targaryens but hate Cersei and would like some stability for once in a fucking blue moon.

Edited by Hana Chan
Spelling correction, because I'm operating on four hours sleep.
  • Love 13
12 minutes ago, tv-talk said:

Jon's also not a scheming would-be-tyrant who doesnt think twice about killing hundreds and thousands of innocent people towards some divine purpose he believes he's been born into. So people actually like and love him a lot more than they do Cersei or Dany. The straightforwardness that is going to get him killed as it did Ned and Robb is a quality that makes him a natural ruler of the people. If we stop looking at it as men vs women but rather just the characters-  Jon has the moral compass and belief system that the masses naturally gravitate towards. Initially Dany had the same thing but over time with the decisions she's had to make and their consequences it's soured. 

An absolute monarch is a tyrant whether they like it or not. You can be selfish and careless like Robert or you can be a saint, but either way, you're a tyrant. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ottis said:

I thought Cersei was going to kill Tyrion as he stood outside the castle. THAT would have been a GoT-sized shock.

Me too. It was such a lingering shot on Dinklage's face, I thought it was his goodbye. 

Edited by Quickbeam
typo
  • Love 4

Remember when Arya overheard Varys and Illyrio Mopatis in the bowels of King's Landing?

We need time. Khal Drogo will not make his move until his son is born. You know how these savages are - Illyrio, The Wolf and The Lion (S1 E5)

Varys is willing to unleash Khal Drogo on the realm that Varys purports to love so much, and Dany is the cray cray one?

It's worth noting that Viserys was still alive the time.

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
3 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Eh, no one likes the Iron Islands anyway.  If Dany gives up the North then she forfeits almost half the country - it would be like Russia giving up Siberia.

And apparently Yara took back the Iron Islands for Dany anyway, or so it was said. Whatever was agreed to in Mereen between Dany and Yara seems to have been forgotten by the writers, or maybe "Queen of the Iron Islands" is an honorary title but still subject to higher Queen. 

• Love 3
(edited)
6 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Exactly.  The Iron Islands are nothing but rocks and bird shit and a lot of very unattractive people  :)

That said, if the North asked nicely I think Dany would probably have been willing to give them nearly complete autonomy, and maybe even allowed them to have a King in the North, as long as they bent the knee and pledged to fight for her when called upon.  This was the deal that Renly offered Robb, through Catelyn, that they probably would have accepted if not for the attack of the smoke baby.  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Helena Dax said:

An absolute monarch is a tyrant whether they like it or not. You can be selfish and careless like Robert or you can be a saint, but either way, you're a tyrant. 

Dany and Cersei would literally rather die than not rule over everyone, everywhere. That is the polar opposite of Jon.

• Love 16
45 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Sansa was the one that was asked to keep Jon's secret. She betrayed his trust by immediately telling someone. With the sole purpose of undermining both Jon and Dany.

Jon was just an honorable idiot for trusting her. 

Almost makes me wonder if Bran is wrong and Jon really is Ned's bastard. :)

• LOL 7
10 hours ago, GraceK said:

Everyone calls Sansa out  on her bullshit this episode and STILL Dany is the bad guy?

Honestly, they're BOTH the bad guy.  Which is par for the course for this show, and for history.

And Jon and Tyrion both remain deeply stupid.

Tyrion, you could have redeemed yourself by saying just two words to Dany: "Air reconnaissance."

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

This was a strange episode and oddly written.

The thing that stood out to me the most was when Varys said something along the lines of "the Queen is losing support every day" and then Dany says "every day we stay, the Queen gets stronger." It was just odd. Plus, it makes far more sense to recuperate if the enemy is losing support.

It was all quite messy.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

None of the Northerners know that. Dany did that on another continent. And you could also look at as she freed women and slaves from tyrants that, used them for entertainment, raped them and cut off their dicks. 

Freeing the slaves was great.. Whatever happened in the fight to free them I guess you gotta live with.. And if ur fighting to keep slavery going.. U deserve a gut stab and a slow bleed out.. What she did after wasn't ok ( morally satisfying)  but the moves of a tyrant... Yes it was payback for the innocent slaves killed.. But it was also mopping off the head of the mereenese power structure.. And even that to me in war while screwed up is understandable... But it seems we don't know of the ppl she killed we're actually guilty of the crime... Same as the guy she fed to her dragon.. Was he a son of the harpy... I dunno... Dany is essentially a good woman with a real dark streak some tyrant-esque behavior and a dragon and that is scary... Still better than cersei.. But for all her names and rank she's a foreigner who doesn't know much of westeros( not her fault really as Robert was dead set on murdering her)  which means as a queen she'd already be distant from her ppl.. And a somewhat isolated queen with a quick trigger and impulsive ideas is a recipe for disaster 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Not anymore she doesn't they are all dead. They are really making her fall from grace to be her lowest so it won't be a big deal when she dies all alone, probably in the next episode. 

She's not going to die in an alley all alone.

She and Jon have to be pushed to the point where one or the other sacrifices for the other.  If it's Dany, it would have to be the Throne since that's been her one major driver until she met Jon.   If it's Jon, it'd be his family or his life.  He doesn't want the throne so that's not a major sacrifice for him.

All the little tidbits we've seen from/about Dany are finally coming together.  She's had an anger problem since she gained some power.   Girlfriend gets mad and wants to burn a town to the ground or crucify hundreds of people.  She's been advised against it in the past, sometimes listening and sometimes not.  The difference now is that Jorah is gone, the only person she fairly consistently listen to.  Tyrion is on her s#$t list at the moment, actually for some fairly reasonable reasons including his assessment of his sister.    Jon is also on that list because she thinks (unreasonably) that he might try to grab the throne from her...or it might be pushed on him by general acclaim.   I can't tell if she's ever trusted Varys and maybe she shouldn't.    At this moment, Dany has lost the people she trusts and two dragons.  She's in tremendous pain, her claim to the throne (her only reason for being at ALL) is looking rocky, and there's no one to effectively protect her from her own actions.   That's not at all having a "Mad Queen" scenario come out of the blue.  It's an actually predictable arc that's been building for seasons.  The writers brought her from being a scared girl to be a woman who leads conquests.  Now she's on the edge of gaining her goal by conquest but has lost her footing and has ZERO plan for what she'll do if she actually gains the throne.  This tests who she actually is as a person and a leader.

Edited to add an additional thought I forgot:

Dany at the banquet was sort of telling.  She didn't talk to people.  Didn't build on any sort of connection she now has with those folks due to the battle.   She just sat there.  Her one reaching out was with Gendry, giving him his father's castle...but then leaning over to whisper about how clever she is.   Clever, but fairly damn transparent.  This is where she again is shown to be a conqueror but not a ruler.  She wasn't thinking about solidifying ties with the people of the North, beyond the one action.  She's not one of them, not interested in being one of them.  She just wants her throne.   No thought of what comes next after that.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 23

Why didn't Euron just kill all the Unsullied while they were sitting ducks on those ships? If he could target one ship, seems like he could have taken them all. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

If someone else had said this.. Maybe but tormund is Jon's guy he's been in battle after battle with Jon.. Wildlings don't seem to have any issues with female leadership.. This was about Jon the human.. Not Jon the man... He saw Jon's dead body he saw him come back he saw him put mance out of his misery.. He saw him at hardhome fight to save the lives of his enemies.. If Tormund knows anything of Dany.. Its she seems to only talk about the iron throne and what her rightful place is... But the free folk dont kneel and if they did it wouldnt be for her... It would be for him... The person the northerners named King 

Totally. Tormund's praise for Jon was rooted in his affection for Jon. No way Tormund believes dragon riding qualifies you to be king.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Almost makes me wonder if Bran is wrong and Jon really is Ned's bastard. 🙂

I know. He's definitely more Ned Stark then Lyanna and Rhaegar. Jon's a good guy and honorable but he would make a terrible ruler. He'd be easily manipulated and controlled by others. He'd tell the truth even if it started a war. You need a be a little ruthless to rule a kingdom. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, FishyJoe said:

Why didn't Euron just kill all the Unsullied while they were sitting ducks on those ships? If he could target one ship, seems like he could have taken them all. 

Ok, and speaking of the Unsullied....

During the planning session, they said that there are about half of the Unsullied left.  Apparently there are some Dothraki left too.

HOW?

All the Dothraki should be dead, unless there were a couple back in Winterfell for some reason.  The Unsullied should be much less than half of their original numbers.  That many people didn't manage to run across the moat before the fire was lit.  That bugged me.

Team Jon/Dany should have fewer troops than Cersei, not be at parity.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Another ridiculous plot point.  Why didn't Cersei have her archers open fire on Tyrion?  If she was willing to incur Dany's wrath by killing her best friend, why not kill the baby brother she has wanted to kill since his birth?

The only thing I can think of is that she thinks Tyrion is such a fool that he will continue to protect her from Dany.

She did send Bronn to kill Jaime and Tyrion ... but now that I think about it, that's what Qyburn said but did she really 

I am going to be really upset if Arya and the Hound don't stop at the Inn at the Crossroads, (where they never give up on the gravy), for some meat pies on their way to Kings Landing.  

• LOL 11
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, terrymct said:

During the planning session, they said that there are about half of the Unsullied left.  Apparently there are some Dothraki left too.

HOW?

All the Dothraki should be dead, unless there were a couple back in Winterfell for some reason.  The Unsullied should be much less than half of their original numbers.  That many people didn't manage to run across the moat before the fire was lit.  That bugged me.

When I watched last episode again with the brightness turned up. I saw that some Dothraki made it back with Jorah. Which makes sense he couldn't be the only survivor. He was up front. 

• Love 5

I don't think Jon or Daeny are going to rule. I think they are the warriors that will get the people to the 'promised land' but won't live to rule it.  They've been showing erratic behavior over the past season; slowly losing sight of what's important. The love story is a poison to both.

I am unspoiled, so I have no idea if I'm going in the right direction or not

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, terrymct said:

HOW?

Some Dotraki might have retreated into the woods, away from Winterfell, during the battle.  They were on horseback, so they could have escaped that way, if they were willing to flee.  I'm not sure if fleeing is something Dothraki screamers do, though.  

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, terrymct said:

Dany at the banquet was sort of telling.  She didn't talk to people.  Didn't build on any sort of connection she now has with those folks due to the battle.   She just sat there.  Her one reaching out was with Gendry, giving him his father's castle...but then leaning over to whisper about how clever she is.

This would be more my issue as far as the female characters much moreso than their status as opposed to men. Dany, Cersei, and Sansa are written so completely and utterly aloof that it's impossible for them to have a normal conversation with ANYONE not just the other women. At this point Arya is the only woman left on the show whom you could imagine saying something funny over an ale. Dany and Cersei absolutely have an air of being above the commoners which is in direct contrast to Jon who seems like a commoner. I think that's exactly what the show is going for and it's not a sleight to women nor a nod to men but rather just who the characters are.

• Love 7

Some reasons from this episode for why I think Jon wouldn't be a good King of the Seven Kingdoms

As the Warden of the North, the top general, he was too weak willed to tell Daenerys that the army needed more rest before marching on King's Landing. Loyal service means telling hard truths.

A good king should have some undesrtanding of what makes people tick, yet Daenerys has a better understanding of Sansa than Sansa's own "brother" does. Naivete isn't a good quality in a king either.

Jon says he doesn't want to be king. Contrary to what Varys said, a politically apathetic fishing buddy isn't the ideal candidate for the monarchy.

But it's not even clear that Jon is being honest with himself about not wanting to be king. He can't shut up about his parentage, he has these mournful looks whenever Dany's Queenship is mentioned, and he's done nothing to destroy the documentary evidence. A good king needs to be honest with himself.

Finally, the obvious thing to do would be to marry Dany and knock her up. Don't like it because she's your aunt? Too bad. Kings do all sorts of unpalatable things for the good of the realm.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I know. He's definitely more Ned Stark then Lyanna and Rhaegar. Jon's a good guy and honorable but he would make a terrible ruler. He'd be easily manipulated and controlled by others. He'd tell the truth even if it started a war. You need a be a little ruthless to rule a kingdom. 

Yeah, he would let Cersei return to Casterly Rock and be Warden of the West if she promised to never, ever doing anything mean again. :)

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, laprin said:

Although this show has tried over the last two episodes to paint Dany as a woman slowly descending into madness, I am not ready to give up on Dany. Her anger is justified after what she has been through. Besides, she is no more a mad queen than Cersei. 

It seemed out of character for Jon not to say goodbye to Ghost. I'm not sure whether this was intentional or merely an oversight on the part of the writers

I’m sure Jon saw Ghost before and told him his intentions. From Ghost reactions I am positive.

i think ‘mad’ gives the wrong impression. Autocratic and prone to act on emotion without temperance. Everyone at this point has reason to hate Cersei. Everyone. Not really unique on Dany’s part that she has joined the club. How she deal with it can be judged compared to the others. 

• Love 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Some Dotraki might have retreated into the woods, away from Winterfell, during the battle.  They were on horseback, so they could have escaped that way, if they were willing to flee.  I'm not sure if fleeing is something Dothraki screamers do, though.  

fighting the army of the dead isn't something they do either so fleeing might have become a more appealing option to them at the time.

Edited by MrWhyt
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Some reasons from this episode for why I think Jon wouldn't be a good King of the Seven Kingdoms

As the Warden of the North, the top general, he was too weak willed to tell Daenerys that the army needed more rest before marching on King's Landing. Loyal service means telling hard truths.

A good king should have some undesrtanding of what makes people tick, yet Daenerys has a better understanding of Sansa than Sansa's own "brother" does. Naivete isn't a good quality in a king either.

Jon says he doesn't want to be king. Contrary to what Varys said, a politically apathetic fishing buddy isn't the ideal candidate for the monarchy.

But it's not even clear that Jon is being honest with himself about not wanting to be king. He can't shut up about his parentage, he has these mournful looks whenever Dany's Queenship is mentioned, and he's done nothing to destroy the documentary evidence. A good king needs to be honest with himself.

Finally, the obvious thing to do would be to marry Dany and knock her up. Don't like it because she's your aunt? Too bad. Kings do all sorts of unpalatable things for the good of the realm.

Why not have Jon simply forget that the woman with the blonde hair is Aunt Dany? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Tyrion is  likable, _______.  He would never be a good ruler. *

He has been a horrible adviser to Dany. 

*He was also an excellent hand to the king back in the day when he got the kingdom finances under control.  Tyrion also remembers the real story of the Battle of Blackwater, when he rallied the troops and saved the castle. (And unknown to him, stopped Cersei from poisoning Tommen and herself.)

So if we blame anyone for this, it's Tyrion for doing too good a job back then.

Is he a horrible adviser to Dany?  Yes.  But he's in a position where he is playing a game of chess with checkers.  And he's on the checkers side.  If any armies were ever more checkers like than the Dothraki and the Unsullied..............

• Love 3
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Bannon said:

Why not have Jon simply forget that the woman with the blonde hair is Aunt Dany? 

I can't tell how much the incest bothers Jon as opposed to the political situation and the secrets. 

Biologically, I believe she shares more DNA with Jon, than a typical aunt, because of Targaryen inbreeding.   But, socially, she was a stranger to him, not family, and I think growing up as relatives is what brings most of the ickiness.  

Jon shares less DNA with Sansa and Arya but marrying them would seem way more wrong because they grew up as siblings.  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 11

Well, Jaime and Brienne sleeping together was revolting.

As is the set up for Dany to turn into the next Mad Queen. I’m not sure if I am supposed to be rooting against her as she watches everyone she loves die and finds herself alone with all her advisors turning against her, but at this point I hope she burns them all. 

• Love 8
Just now, LadyPenelope said:

Well, Jaime and Brienne sleeping together was revolting.

As is the set up for Dany to turn into the next Mad Queen. I’m not sure if I am supposed to be rooting against her as she watches everyone she loves die and finds herself alone with all her advisors turning against her, but at this point I hope she burns them all. 

I'm not sure she will actually go Mad Queen, but they are setting up the situation where she will be strongly tempted to do so.  She is at the precipice of an enormous crossroads, as Little Carmine would put it.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
Just now, Bryce Lynch said:

She is at the precipice of an enormous crossroads, as Little Carmine would put it.  

For those unfamiliar- that would be Carmine, Second of his Name of the House Lupertazzi. 

What a great throwback.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Remember when Arya overheard Varys and Illyrio Mopatis in the bowels of King's Landing?

We need time. Khal Drogo will not make his move until his son is born. You know how these savages are - Illyrio, The Wolf and The Lion (S1 E5)

Varys is willing to unleash Khal Drogo on the realm that Varys purports to love so much, and Dany is the cray cray one?

It's worth noting that Viserys was still alive the time.

I was thinking the same thing.  Varys was pro-Tarygaryen, even if it meant a Dothraki invasion.  Then he decided it was OK to have Daenerys murdered.   Then, he was supposedly pro-Dany, now he is against her again.

I think when he says, "I serve the realm." he means he serves his own whims about who he thinks should be in power that day.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

She killed all those ppl in mereen who.. By their own laws had done nothing legally wrong.. Slavery was legal and she just killed leaders of houses whether they had slaves or not.. Then crucified them She shit on their customs and practices at every turn ( not that I really blame her)  she fed a maybe innocent man to her dragon.. She forced the son of a man she murdered to marry her while being openly hostile to him all the time.. I don't even remember why she burned down the Khalasar tent.. And I'm sorry I'm not giving anybody points for NOT letting her dragons rain down fire on innocent and guilty alike.. The fact that her first impulse is Dragon Rage is worrisome 

Who is asking you to give her points?  I'm not.  Daenerys went in as a conquerer and liberated the enslaved.  Their laws sucked and they were removed.  It's all well and good to claim the law is on your side when you are abusing others and depriving them of their liberty.  I say, fuck the law.  When its oppressive and corrupt, it needs to be reworked.  Daenerys reworked it.  Too bad that the high born had to carry their own water or pay someone to do it.  Cersei hasn't liberated anyone, but she certainly murdered countless innocents to get back at a few people when she had wildfire ignited under the sept.  Daenerys crucified people who were more than likely responsible for crucifying CHILDREN to make a point.  The dragon feeding incident was no worse than strapping a woman to a table for a monstrosity to violate repeatedly.  It was showing authority as the HMFIC.  In fact, what Cersei did was far more egregious.  And finally the Khalasar was destroyed because its leadership was crude, vulgar and threatened Daenerys's person repeatedly.   Her first impulse may be worrisome, but she has not acted on it yet.  Can you say that about her adversary? 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Sansa was the one that was asked to keep Jon's secret. She betrayed his trust by immediately telling someone. With the sole purpose of undermining both Jon and Dany.

Jon was just an honorable idiot for trusting her. 

I do not see it like that. 

Tyrion was making the point that Daenerys was a better option than Cersei (which she is) but Sansa wanted to make the point "what if there was a third option" , the fact that Jon is now the rightful heir to the IT is a game changer, specially for the North sought independence. 

The throne doesn't have to belong to Cersei or Daenerys as both have shown that they would do anything for the IT and then would rule as the tyrants they are. 

IMO Sansa thinks that it doesn't have to be Cersei or Daenerys if the option of Jon was open. IMO she was right, anybody who sees what these two queen have done and how that is indicative of the kind of rulers they would be, who would want any of the two if there was a third viable option. Jon might not be the smarter or may be too honorable but he sure is better than Cersei or Daenerys. 

If Daenerys wanted she could rule with Jon but she doesn't want to share so all this problem is of her own doing. People should not be bound by secrets just to please her and put her on the throne. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Popples said:

Sansa told; the conversation with Tyrion and Varys on the ship pretty much confirmed it. Tyrion says they should just get married, Varys counters with Dany is Jon's aunt. Tyrion says that's never stopped the Targaryens before, then Varys reminds him that Jon was raised in The North where that practice isn't common.

Ohhh. Thank you. I missed all of that.  WHOOPS.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

If Dany can kind of forget about the Iron Fleet...

Exactly. Maybe Cersei will die when she forgets to breathe. Or she forgets about gravity and steps off the wall.

I think I have a future in television writing!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Drogo said:

For those unfamiliar- that would be Carmine, Second of his Name of the House Lupertazzi. 

What a great throwback.

At this point, they may as well end this show with Dany, Jon, Tyrion, and Arya sitting around a table in a Kings's Landing pizza joint.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

Granted I only watched it once so far but I am not convinced Sansa told Tyrion about Jon.

IIRC, the writing was kind of cagey there. I thought he said that a Stark and a Targeryen would be the rightful heir. He could have been talking about Jon and Day having a child. Not that Jon is the Stark and a Targeryen himself.  Did miss something more specific that proves she spilled the beans?

Sansa definitely told Tyrion that Jon was Lyanna and Rhaegar's son because after the scene with Sansa and Tyrion, we see Tyrion and Varys discussing Dany being Jon's aunt and which of them has a better claim to the throne.

Sansa: Tyrion. What if there's someone else? Someone better?

[cut to]

Tyrion: Think of the past 20 years - the war, the murder, the misery. All of it because Robert Baratheon loved someone who didn't love him back.
Varys: How many others know?
Tyrion: Including us? Eight.
Varys: Well, then it's not a secret anymore. It's information. If a handful of people know now, hundreds will know soon. Then what happens?
Tyrion: She loses the North. She loses the Vale, Sansa will make sure of that.
Varys: No, it's worse than that. He has the better claim to the throne.
Tyrion: He doesn't want the throne.
Varys: I'm not sure it matters what he wants. The fact is, people are drawn to him. Wildlings, Northmen. He's a war hero.
Tyrion: He loves our queen. And she loves him. If we marry them, they could rule together.
Varys: She's his aunt.
Tyrion: That never stopped a Targaryen before.

19 minutes ago, terrymct said:

Dany at the banquet was sort of telling.  She didn't talk to people.  Didn't build on any sort of connection she now has with those folks due to the battle.   She just sat there.  Her one reaching out was with Gendry, giving him his father's castle...but then leaning over to whisper about how clever she is.   Clever, but fairly damn transparent.  This is where she again is shown to be a conqueror but not a ruler.  She wasn't thinking about solidifying ties with the people of the North, beyond the one action.  She's not one of them, not interested in being one of them.  She just wants her throne.   No thought of what comes next after that.

I saw two issues: the first was that she was jealous that Jon has the love, loyalty, and support of Tormund and the others. As she later said, no one has looked at her that way since she crossed the sea. But the second issue was that instead of doing something about it, she just got up and left. She could have changed the situation by walking around and talking to people, which would show them that she isn't just some foreigner trying to rule over them. She could talk to them, let them tell her how they feel, thank them for their service and sacrifice, commend them on their bravery, and connect with them. She had the opportunity to win their hearts and eliminate their suspicion of her and she chose to continue to isolate herself from them.

Honestly, it reminded me of a girl I knew in high school. Let's just call her Danielle for the easy analogy. There was another girl in our circle of friends (let's pretend her name was Jordan) who usually made plans for everyone to hang out. Nothing fancy like big events on Saturday night, more like "let's hang out after school on Wednesday." She would usually tell one other person and then the word would spread. If Danielle found out from anyone but Jordan that we were all going to hang out (and to be clear, she was invited too), Danielle would get super pissy and say things like "Jordan never tells ME." My response was always "Uh, is your phone broken? You know that you can always be proactive and call her yourself." But she never did. She just played the victim and acted like it was this huge conspiracy. I know it's not the exact same situation, but the similarity is that Dany was off feeling sorry for herself and instead of finding a way to join in, she felt sorry for herself and left.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Tyrion: Think of the past 20 years - the war, the murder, the misery. All of it because Robert Baratheon loved someone who didn't love him back.
Varys: How many others know?
Tyrion: Including us? Eight.
Varys: Well, then it's not a secret anymore. It's information. If a handful of people know now, hundreds will know soon. Then what happens?
Tyrion: She loses the North. She loses the Vale, Sansa will make sure of that.
Varys: No, it's worse than that. He has the better claim to the throne.
Tyrion: He doesn't want the throne.
Varys: I'm not sure it matters what he wants. The fact is, people are drawn to him. Wildlings, Northmen. He's a war hero.
Tyrion: He loves our queen. And she loves him. If we marry them, they could rule together.
Varys: She's his aunt.
Tyrion: That never stopped a Targaryen before

Thank you! I did miss that whole scene.  Yikes.  Thanks, everyone!

• Love 1

I'm still raging about Sansa this morning. I know the girl has seen some sh*t but she promised Jon to keep her trap shut. Gahhhhhhhhh! I'm so mad!

I need Cersei to be taken down hard. I'm so sick of her smug arrogant face. Killing Missandei like that! Its like ripping off a butterfly's wings just because you can.  I don't care how much she loved her children Tyrion, that is not enough to redeem a person. I really can't remember the last time I found a fictional character so utterly repugnant.

Kudos to Lena Headey for playing her so well.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I am going to be really upset if Arya and the Hound don't stop at the Inn at the Crossroads, (where they never give up on the gravy), for some meat pies on their way to Kings Landing.  

Lol and hotpie can make her another wolf cake and ask about winterhell 

• LOL 5
Just now, Bannon said:

At this point, they may as well end this show with Dany, Jon, Tyrion, and Arya sitting around a table in a Kings's Landing pizza joint.

Just a dragon girl.. living in a Pentos world.. she took the Dothraki Sea going anywhere ♪

Just a bastard boy.. to the Wall he did deploy.. he hit the Kingsroad with thermal underwear ♫

• LOL 9
  • Love 3