Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E07: It's Kind of a Phone-y Story

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, film noire said:

I think Ramona - for all her rough way with people's feelings and often outright dumb reactions - has a  pretty good handle on how fast time goes by, and the need to hold loved ones close while you have them.

By that standard, Bethenny's sworn testimony is one of those unreliable sources. 

She discounted her own version of the relationship (We were engaged! He was family to Bryn! We didn't start a sexual relationship until 2016!) turned into Meh, sorta  engaged? and Bryn not being around Dennis much at all, and Frankel and Shields starting a "romantic and sexual relationship" in 2015 ("three to four years ago")  when Dennis was still living with his wife and kid, not a year later in 2016, which was the timeline Frankel has been giving out since jump (presumably because a love affair begun a year afer a man leaves his wife, versus one begun a year before he leaves, is much more messy). I don't think lying under oath is outside the realm of possibility for Frankel (insisting she had no clue Dennis was on pills, for example, is hard for me to believe) but I figure if she's lying in court, she'd lie to make herself look better, not worse.

No, nothing legal was in the works.  Jill Shields made a point of making that clear in her instagram post about starting the Shields Foundation - she wrote "Memorialize my husband who I never legally separated/divorced" (and Sasha, you could give Frankel a real lesson in surviving, and then thriving.)

So what?   I really don't care.

I can't get all worked up about this nonsense.   They're all full of shit.  I don't follow them on Twitter or Instagram and only care about what they say or do in an episode on my TV.   

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, film noire said:

By that standard, Bethenny's sworn testimony is one of those unreliable sources. She discounted her own version of the relationship (We were engaged! He was family to Bryn! We didn't start a sexual relationship until 2016!) turned into Meh, sorta  engaged? and Bryn not being around Dennis much, and Frankel and Shields starting a "romantic and sexual relationship" in 2015 ("three to four years ago") when Dennis was still living with his wife and kid, not a year later in 2016, which was the timeline Frankel has been using since jump (presumably because a love affair begun a year afer a man leaves his wife, versus one begun a year before he leaves, is much more messy). I don't think lying under oath is outside the realm of possibility for Frankel (insisting she had no clue Dennis was on pills, for example, is hard for me to believe) but I figure if she's lying in court, she'd lie to make herself look better, not worse.

I think the timing thing is simply semantics. We met Dennis in Season 8, which started filming in October 2015. In an early episode (the one where she was mad at Sonja about the branding deal), she mentioned the evening the night before with Dennis. Said they had been friends forever and he was just getting out of his marriage. She didn't mention if he was no longer living in the home with his family or not, but it doesn't sound like she was trying to hide anything from the world. So it sounds like they started hooking up in late 2015/early 2016. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, film noire said:

I was wondering where Hockey Guy was in the picture - how great you've made the leap from romance to friends - and congrats on being with your high school crush! (That speaks to have in excellent taste in men, early in life -- I'd run in the opposite direction of mine ; )

Hockey crush and I had a great time dating!  But we're better off as friends.  And we still hangout and laugh.  He's one of my favorite people on the planet.  High school crush and I have had a very passionate love!  We just hit this one patch where we both were struggling with our kids -- mine through her grief and his kids getting used to the divorce -- so we split up for a short period of time.  It was for the best as now we have an even greater appreciation for each other!!

• Love 10
45 minutes ago, AnnA said:

So what? I really don't care.

You don't have to care -- I was just commenting on your point (that information about Dennis and Frankel is coming only from unreliable sources, when it's also coming from Frankel herself)  and nothing else. 

37 minutes ago, gundysgirl said:

I think the timing thing is simply semantics. 

I don't think it's semantics to Bethenny, since she went out of her way to create a timeline/lead people to think she was dating a "legally married separated man" (which Jill Shields denied).  Why not say (from jump) "We started dating in 2015" instead of  bumping it to the next calendar year? (rhetorical question ; )

Back to the episode -- Luann is trying to do damage control in her Bravo blog regarding her pettiness about sleeping with the fishes:

"The journey I’m on isn’t easy, and sometimes it’s the little things — like having to stay in the fish room year after year — that can set me off. (The horrorI the horror!) Dorinda ended up giving Barb the fish room which is only fair since she showed up last. (Barb, who I am pretending to embrace but secretly find rough-voiced and terrifying, like the captain in "Jaws"  - I look at Barb and hear "The sea was angry that day, my friends") I guess I’m not the only shark-phobic guest.  (Luann: terrified of a stuffed shark but not of hitting a cop). If this were my first time staying in Dorinda’s house, I would have taken the room and kept quiet like I did in years past." (Says the woman who expected the best room only because she was recently married)

https://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-11/blogs/luann-de-lesseps/luann-de-lesseps-experiencing

Edited by film noire
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
On 4/18/2019 at 10:03 PM, Bronzedog said:

Wasn’t it at the very beginning of their relationship when Scott sent Tinsley the funeral flower arrangement?  When he was still wooing her?  Once her got her, Scott didn’t know what to do with her and now can’t get rid of her.

At the very beginning - Tinsley bragged to Carole that their first date lasted 5 days. The 5 day date started the night they met - according to Tinsley.

Scott got the Party Girl for a girlfriend - that's who he wants - nothing serious.

The big red flag - which I don't understand was when Tinsley last season or 2 seasons ago said that her moving to Chicago wasn't even an option on the table. If Tinsley is as independently wealthy as she says she is - why would't she move into a hotel in Chicago even if it were for short stays like 2 weeks or 1 month at a time so she could spend more time with Scott?

I like Tinsley but I think she has plenty of cuckoo she's been repressing.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, KungFuBunny said:

At the very beginning - Tinsley bragged to Carole that their first date lasted 5 days. The 5 day date started the night they met - according to Tinsley.

Scott got the Party Girl for a girlfriend - that's who he wants - nothing serious.

The big red flag - which I don't understand was when Tinsley last season or 2 seasons ago said that her moving to Chicago wasn't even an option on the table. If Tinsley is as independently wealthy as she says she is - why would't she move into a hotel in Chicago even if it were for short stays like 2 weeks or 1 month at a time so she could spend more time with Scott?

I like Tinsley but I think she has plenty of cuckoo she's been repressing.

Yep. If she were all that she would have been snapped up by now. She can't even secure the bag when it's some unattractive fatty.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, film noire said:

Luann is trying to do damage control in her Bravo blog regarding her pettiness about sleeping with the fishes:

Even in her “damage control” she is implying that the room is crappy/inferior! I think I have cared less about rooms I was subletting for a few months than these women care about rooms they are going to sleep in for one or two nights.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

Yep. If she were all that she would have been snapped up by now. She can't even secure the bag when it's some unattractive fatty.

When I look at Scott he is very similar physically to Topper. Out of shape and doughy and not athletic at all (but probably good at something like Curling).

When Tinsley left Topper she went buck wild with dating - all of the men she chose shared physical characteristics as well - in shape, younger, in their 20's/early 30's, brunette, playboy. I think these are the men that do it for her sexually and emotionally.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I can't get through an entire episode anymore. I used to be able to ignore the petty childishness for the glamour but there's nothing glamorous here.

And honestly how dare Bethenny Frankel give anyone relationship advice or any of them for that matter. Is anyone even married on this cast?

Is Luann trying to pivot her storyline to a feud with Bethenny instead of her recovery. Completely understand the impulse but its definitely not doing her any favors.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, film noire said:

You don't have to care -- I was just commenting on your point (that information about Dennis and Frankel is coming only from unreliable sources, when it's also coming from Frankel herself)  and nothing else. 

I don't think it's semantics to Bethenny, since she went out of her way to create a timeline/lead people to think she was dating a "legally married separated man" (which Jill Shields denied).  Why not say (from jump) "We started dating in 2015" instead of  bumping it to the next calendar year? (rhetorical question ; )

Back to the episode -- Luann is trying to do damage control in her Bravo blog regarding her pettiness about sleeping with the fishes:

"The journey I’m on isn’t easy, and sometimes it’s the little things — like having to stay in the fish room year after year — that can set me off. (The horrorI the horror!) Dorinda ended up giving Barb the fish room which is only fair since she showed up last. (Barb, who I am pretending to embrace but secretly find rough-voiced and terrifying, like the captain in "Jaws"  - I look at Barb and hear "The sea was angry that day, my friends") I guess I’m not the only shark-phobic guest.  (Luann: terrified of a stuffed shark but not of hitting a cop). If this were my first time staying in Dorinda’s house, I would have taken the room and kept quiet like I did in years past." (Says the woman who expected the best room only because she was recently married)

https://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-11/blogs/luann-de-lesseps/luann-de-lesseps-experiencing

Luann is always on some kind of journey and wants special treatment since I’m watching her.  In her mind, she’s still the Countess and always will be.  She changed her name to Mrs. DAugustino, then back again to Countess.  Can you do that?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Luann is always on some kind of journey and wants special treatment since I’m watching her.  In her mind, she’s still the Countess and always will be.  She changed her name to Mrs. DAugustino, then back again to Countess.  Can you do that?

Luann's marriage ended so quickly it's possible that she may not have even gotten around to the legal name change to D'Agostino. She can change her name back to De Lesseps and I guess it's possible that she can still claim the Countess title so long as she's unmarried but I've always chalked up the use of her title as being more prevalent to her role on TV and as a way to stand out from the other women. I would be really surprised if she still walks into events and is formally acknowledged as Countess Luann. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

Luann's marriage ended so quickly it's possible that she may not have even gotten around to the legal name change to D'Agostino. She can change her name back to De Lesseps and I guess it's possible that she can still claim the Countess title so long as she's unmarried but I've always chalked up the use of her title as being more prevalent to her role on TV and as a way to stand out from the other women. I would be really surprised if she still walks into events and is formally acknowledged as Countess Luann. 

In with you on Lu using her title for tv. She could use the title as long as she was unmarried, but once she married she lost the title. She does not get it back according to what i have read. I think she is also supposed to go back to her maiden name. That will never happen. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

ahem 😕

Haha...well I mean that's part of her show. She could call herself a Princess or a Queen in this context and would have the artistic license to do so. But that was a good rebuttal, I laughed out loud when I saw the picture, haha.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Reality police said:

In with you on Lu using her title for tv. She could use the title as long as she was unmarried, but once she married she lost the title. She does not get it back according to what i have read. I think she is also supposed to go back to her maiden name. That will never happen. 

Maybe by 'royal' standards, she can't go back to De Lesseps but there's nothing legally stopping her from keeping that name. She can probably call herself the Countess for as long as she likes because the people in those actual social circles would probably think it beneath them to make public statements on the illegitimacy of her title. I think Lu's only concern is whether her husband shames her publically for using a moniker that doesn't apply to her anymore but I don't think he would do that and I don't think anyone cares enough about her or the situation to try and correct it. It's a stage title at this point. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Reality police said:

She actually lost the courtesy title when Alex dumped her.

She branded herself  "Countess Luann" to hock whatever she is selling.

Everything from her book Class With The Countess, to her clothing line with EVine the Countess Collection.

The mic that picked up what Barbara said before Luann married: Luann would rather go through with the marriage and then divorce later.

I think that comment was very true as Luann had "coins" linked to the marriage.

She got interviews with People Magazine and was their "Wedding Consultant" for a NY minute

She promoted her bed sheets line towards her wedding to Tom. Romantic something, Honeymoon something - if she didn't marry those sheets would have tanked - and they did anyway - but she got some coins because she went through with the marriage.

• Love 5

What does Countess even mean anymore?  It's not like she and Alex were landowners who had peasants working the land for them, and they were responsible for their welfare.  It was always a meaningless title, including when she was married to Alex, and as such, it means nothing that she uses it still...it's her stage name.  Lady Gaga is not a descendant of a royal family, either.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

I really wish I had paid more attention in PSYCH101 in college so I'd have greater insight into Bethenny's personality. 

Two data points from this episode that were interesting to me:

1 - She can't just have a casual night at home with her daughter.  It has to be a fully-realized "Casual! Night!" or ("Art Party Date" with cupcake baking and planned snuggling.)

2 - It's very important for her to emphasize how much she is loved by men.  She was the love of Dennis's life; maybe he killed himself over her.  This other Hot Guy was madly in love with her as well; she's the one who ghosted him.  New Guy is sending her flowers.  It was really only in her relationship with Carole that she was able to step back and say publicly "She's just not that into me."

I'm sure this all stems from her childhood in some way but, really, someone needs to write a treatise on this woman. 

Edited by ladle
  • Love 14
23 minutes ago, Reality police said:

I mean, let's be clear - she's an American living in the United States. Her "title" was always BS because we don't have an aristocracy in the United States. She can "use" the title in any way she wants because it's not like there is any legal enforcement in the U.S. about maintaining stupid European aristocratic rules.

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

Maybe by 'royal' standards, she can't go back to De Lesseps but there's nothing legally stopping her from keeping that name. She can probably call herself the Countess for as long as she likes because the people in those actual social circles would probably think it beneath them to make public statements on the illegitimacy of her title. I think Lu's only concern is whether her husband shames her publically for using a moniker that doesn't apply to her anymore but I don't think he would do that and I don't think anyone cares enough about her or the situation to try and correct it. It's a stage title at this point. 

Who are “her friends” in the show?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Gem 10 said:

She does have people who make appearances on the show. But 'friends' can refer to the audience members. I'm not sure I understood your question correctly so maybe my answer is totally off the mark.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gem 10 said:

Her friends are the actual talent of the show; artists who are true cabaret performers (singers, dancers, etc.) I've heard from people who have seen the show that they are the real entertainment of the show.

1 hour ago, izabella said:

What does Countess even mean anymore?  It's not like she and Alex were landowners who had peasants working the land for them, and they were responsible for their welfare.  It was always a meaningless title, including when she was married to Alex, and as such, it means nothing that she uses it still...it's her stage name.  Lady Gaga is not a descendant of a royal family, either. 

Haha and Queen Latifa isn't really a queen.  Enh from what I can understand her ex husband inherited the title from the guy who built the Suez Canal.  So yeah because the French monarch doesn't exist anymore the title (both his and hers) are meaningless.  Hers more so now that she is divorced from him and yeah I heard that when she got divorced that is when she lost the title not when she remarried.   If she married a British man with a high ranking title like Duke she probably would have been told to never use it again....*shrug*

OMG though that title is all she really has going for her ( similar to Sonja and this Morgan b/s) so you know they are going to hang on to that for dear life.  It's really sad if you think about it, they are desperately clinging to these last names.  And everything they have is because of once was not what is right now. 

Say what you will about Bethany but damn she made a name for herself on her own, not whom she married.  She can be prickly but I have nothing but mad respect for her--Lu and Sonja the leeches they are--no!

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

She does have people who make appearances on the show. But 'friends' can refer to the audience members. I'm not sure I understood your question correctly so maybe my answer is totally off the mark.

I meant like people we all know, for instance Sonja or any other housewife or celebrity.  Then again, it could be the audience like you said.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ladle said:

I really wish I had paid more attention in PSYCH101 in college so I'd have greater insight into Bethenny's personality. 

Two data points from this episode that were interesting to me:

1 - She can't just have a casual night at home with her daughter.  It has to be a fully-realized "Casual! Night!" or ("Art Party Date" with cupcake baking and planned snuggling.)

2 - It's very important for her to emphasize how much she is loved by men.  She was the love of Dennis's life; maybe he killed himself over her.  This other Hot Guy was madly in love with her as well; she's the one who ghosted him.  New Guy is sending her flowers.  It was really only in her relationship with Carole that she was able to step back and say publicly "She's just not that into me."

I'm sure this all stems from her childhood in some way but, really, someone needs to write a treatise on this woman. 

She’s been in therapy forever and uses it as a sounding board.  The last therapist about Dennis told her the same exact thing that any one of us would have told her.  The session was quick .. she cried .. and felt better.  If it helps her and she can afford a house visit, why not?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

That home visit by the therapist was totally a TV opportunity. If she was serious about getting help, she’d do it on her time and off camera. 

You're right.   That home visit was a setup for the show.  Bethenny is many things but stupid isn't one of them.    She would not film a real therapy session for the show but she would pretend to do it.    This one was as fake as the last one.    

• Love 4
22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Even in her “damage control” she is implying that the room is crappy/inferior! I think I have cared less about rooms I was subletting for a few months than these women care about rooms they are going to sleep in for one or two nights.

Honestly, I would not have been able to sleep in that room.  “Stuffed” *real* animals scare the crap out of me.

Edited by ButterQueen
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

She’s been in therapy forever and uses it as a sounding board.  The last therapist about Dennis told her the same exact thing that any one of us would have told her.  The session was quick .. she cried .. and felt better.  If it helps her and she can afford a house visit, why not?

Maybe I'm misreading your comment, but I'm confused... I wasn't saying that she shouldn't be in therapy, or saying that it is or is not helpful... I'm just fascinated by the landscape of the woman's psyche!  Especially since she's obviously intelligent and hyperaware of how she comes off on the screen, yet she just can't stop herself from acting in these seemingly dysfunctional (but again, I'm not a clinician) ways. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

Honestly, I would not have been able to sleep in that room.  “Stuffed” *real* animals scare the crap out of me.

I'm with you on that.  I mean, if it were a cat and dog stuffed and having on the wall, most people would be like oh fuck no I'm not staying there. If you are going to do something outrageous like that to a room you will have guests, don't be surprised there will be some guests that are freaked out.  That said, a simple polite, "Dorinda, I hope you don't mind but taxidermy makes me a little uncomfortable.  Can I sleep somewhere else?"

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, ladle said:

Maybe I'm misreading your comment, but I'm confused... I wasn't saying that she shouldn't be in therapy, or saying that it is or is not helpful... I'm just fascinated by the landscape of the woman's psyche!  Especially since she's obviously intelligent and hyperaware of how she comes off on the screen, yet she just can't stop herself from acting in these seemingly dysfunctional (but again, I'm not a clinician) ways. 

Who cares if she had therapy at home, in the office or in Bloomingdales.  She had it, so what’s all the fuss?  For now, that’s her storyline.

4 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

We could use the "who cares" comments for just about every scenario shown on every episode.  But we're on a message board to discuss our thoughts, our views.  "Who cares?" and "What's the fuss?" sounds like a very dismissive response to a thoughtful post explaining her comment.

Thank you, Sasha.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, AnnA said:

You're right.   That home visit was a setup for the show.  Bethenny is many things but stupid isn't one of them.    She would not film a real therapy session for the show but she would pretend to do it.    This one was as fake as the last one.    

Well, isn’t the whole t.v. Show an opportunity and setup?  All her Skinny Girl products all over the place.  The drinks all over her kitchen, her jeans that she pulls out every opportunity, the red car she drives, etc.  What’s the difference?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Gam2 said:

That home visit by the therapist was totally a TV opportunity. If she was serious about getting help, she’d do it on her time and off camera. 

If you remember correctly, she has had many therapy sessions ON T.V. In the therapists office also.

• Love 3
On 4/23/2019 at 12:22 AM, KungFuBunny said:

When I look at Scott he is very similar physically to Topper. Out of shape and doughy and not athletic at all (but probably good at something like Curling).

When Tinsley left Topper she went buck wild with dating - all of the men she chose shared physical characteristics as well - in shape, younger, in their 20's/early 30's, brunette, playboy. I think these are the men that do it for her sexually and emotionally.

HA!   Oh no.... I’m going to use “you look like you’d be good at curling” as a burn from now on.   “Is he in shape?”  “Sure.   For curling or something.”

...and you’re not wrong.  It looks like Topper’s cardio is taking off his tie at 6 and pouring himself a double, and that Scott’s arm days consist of putting craft beer and fancy pretzels into his WF cart.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 4/22/2019 at 9:22 PM, KungFuBunny said:

Out of shape and doughy and not athletic at all (but probably good at something like Curling).

Hey, now - them's fighting words to this Canadian, eh!  I LIVE for Olympic curling.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:55 PM, film noire said:

Luann is trying to do damage control in her Bravo blog regarding her pettiness about sleeping with the fishes:

Cabaret ticket sales must be down?

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, sasha206 said:

mean, if it were a cat and dog stuffed and having on the wall, most people would be like oh fuck no I'm not staying ther

I don’t know I have known people who taxidermied their dead pets, I wouldn’t have an issue sleeping in the same room with them.

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I don’t understand the episode title. During T or D, Dorinda used her phone. Frankel wanted Tinsley to use her phone. That’s it?

I think it's a play on Tinsley's reaction and lame explanation for not wanting to call Scott, hence why it was phoney. Or at least, that's the best explanation I got, lol.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mr. Minor said:

Cabaret ticket sales must be down?

I heard she sold out at Foxwoods, Conn.  It was a pretty big venue.  Maybe a lot of people from New York went being it was close.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t know I have known people who taxidermied their dead pests, I wouldn’t have an issue sleeping in the same room with them.

Taxiderming old pests as revenge perhaps?! Hahaha I can dig it! 

I would have a problem if it was a pet like a dog or cat but as a previous poster pointed out just politely talking to Dorinda one on one about it, explaining the situation, and asking to be moved is more appropriate but I get it--it won't make for good T.V. Zany, over-the-top reactions is what the cameras want. 

I never understood why not simply remove the fishes for the duration of the stay?  Remove them from the wall and put them in a closet or something while the guests are there.....but then I again I think I remember Lu saying something like that room for whatever reason stays cold....or is too far away from all the other rooms.....not sure but fishes can't be the only problem.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1