Type keyword(s) to search

S4.E15: Salary

Sorry, official description was erased from my DVR.  Something like this:  Amy accidentally leaked her new salary  Mateo pretends to be the new floor manager.  Dina tries to come between Jonah and Amy. 

This was somewhat cringe making. I don’t know the name of the character with the $134,000 salary, but I hated that twist. Amy made such dopey mistakes, but I guess they are realistic for a rookie manager. I just hate Cheyenne. When she said I know, right? to the diaper woman, I wanted to smack her. 

• Love 10

I doubt a manager of a walmart type store one level above floor employees is making 109- 119. Is that realistic? 

Also Amy if you can't say no to your employees you shouldn't be a manager. 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, cleo said:

I doubt a manager of a walmart type store one level above floor employees is making 109- 119. Is that realistic? 

I googled it for Target and Walmart and the range is huge but apparently the average is indeed about that amount.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

Stores that size have a big sales volume, so the salary seems reasonable to me.

Mateo was being obnoxious, but Amy didn't seem to have even thought about what she would need to do to manage things. She didn't seem to even realize she needed to appoint someone to replace her in the floor manager role.

I expected her first day to be very busy and frantic, trying to get things in place. But she didn't seem to have a single thing to do.

How will Glenn make ends meet on 1/10th of the income he's used to? I hope he and Jerushka have savings, and that their mortgage is paid off already!

• Love 10

I agree, Cheyenne and Garrett are getting less likable by the episode.   

The writers are pulling some twists that are pretty hard to wrap your head around -- including the guy who's been making $134,000 and has none left ..   And even Mateo, pushing the 'I'm a floor supervisor' thing past any possible limits.  People who were quirky are getting over the top here.   

Thinking out loud, when they set up a sit-com, they set up characters and how they will have them interact &c, and they probably have some ideas about how they will evolve.  But I wonder if this one, at this point, has come beyond what they had planned for originally and are not doing really well at stretching things out?  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, GussieK said:

This was somewhat cringe making. I don’t know the name of the character with the $134,000 salary, but I hated that twist.

If Amy fixes his salary error, she might have saved the company enough money to give everybody a decent raise.  

• Love 10

I'm with everyone who said that Cheyenne and Garret were a pair of dicks this episode - a dumb dick and an arrogant dick. Salaries are decided by corporate, Amy actually put in the work to improve her position and gets rewarded. None of her coworkers comments were productive - as in 'lets do something about to increase the meagre floor worker pay'.

Amy needs to figute out how to lead that gang of semi-friends/co-workers and whip them into shape. Its a TV stereotype that the character who gets a career push never deals well with his/her former colleagues. And that includes wannabe supervisor Mateo.

• Love 13

I have to say at the end I was glad to see Amy and Jonah were getting along well.  He was just happy that she would be making a lot of money.  They stayed away from the trope where he would feel emasculated.

Also dumb that she didn't even know her salary.  I am not surprised that the manager would be making that high a salary, however. 

• Love 15

Not surprised by that store manager salary at all. I would actually have guessed higher. Cheyenne has been an asshole lately. And I hated the scene with the diaper lady. It played with these terrible stereotypes about entitlement and it was very uncomfortable to watch.

• Love 16
9 hours ago, Boofish said:

Cheyenne and Garrett are assholes

I can't agree with this more. There was zero reason -- ZERO -- for Garrett to read that document over the intercom, except to be a douchebag. It wasn't funny, it was a dick thing to do. And Cheyenne being a bitch to Amy about her salary pissed me off. Was she like that with Glenn? She had to know that Glenn made significantly more money than she and the other floor employees do. Or is she just such a shitty person that she would resent Amy for working her way up to a management position with its associated salary? Everything associated with this plot made me angry.

The Mateo storyline didn't bother me too much, except The Office did it better with Pam.

If Whatshisname signed a contract stating his hourly pay was $86, he shouldn't have to pay back what he was given since it wasn't his error. But Amy should absolutely speak to payroll about reissuing the contract so that his checks are fixed going forward. Of course, if his contract actually did say $8.60/hour he better be prepared to be forced to repay the company.

Myrtle talking to her hologram cracked me up. As did the random goat eating the flowers.

• Love 22
11 hours ago, cleo said:

11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I googled it for Target and Walmart and the range is huge but apparently the average is indeed about that amount.

I work for a medical school and there are doctor's making less than this.  I was calling BS on that salary until you guys confirmed it. 

• Love 6

Garrett shouldn't have read Amy's contract over the PA, but it is a typically Garrett thing to do so I can't be too surprised or upset. It was tragic/funny how he became increasingly upset with how much Glenn loves any job and Glenn's refusal to acknowledge that being a floor worker is terrible.

Not the best episode, which I chalk up to all the diarrhea/pee/vomit jokes, but it was kind of funny when Justine said she was going to pee laughing and Glenn cheerfully offered to clean it up.

High point: Service goat on the loose and eating flowers. I think the law here changed recently regarding service animals because all of a sudden stores have these signs at the entrance that say the only service animals allowed are dogs and miniature horses. I am still waiting for someone to bring their horse into Safeway.

Low point: Myrtle using ketchup packets to make tomato soup in her mouth.

• Love 6

I cannot believe a Walmart-type store manager makes over $100K. That just floors me. But if that's the case I very seriously doubt Amy would ever have gotten the job. A company isn't going to promote a mid-level supervisor making a fraction of that salary all the way to the top. They are going to hire someone with a degree and/or significant management experience. No company promotes you and increases your salary ten-fold. Let's say she was making 35K as floor supervisor. If they indeed promoted her to store manager the highest salary they'd give her would be maybe 50K. It wouldn't matter if Glenn or any previous manager made a lot more than that. That's just not how it works. 

• Love 7

I sure hope that Glenn and Jerushka saved a LOT of money, because Glenn took a serious pay cut. He never seemed like he lived very extravagantly, so maybe they did? I dont see Glenn cruising around with a Lexus. 

It cracked me up that the hooker that Dina hired just started working there. I would love it if she started showing up as a background character, although you probably make more as a hooker than as a floor worker. 

I was glad that Jonah was just super happy for Amy throughout, even with Dina and her shenanigans. Even with her making tons of money, he was just thrilled for her. 

Cheyenne and Garret really were dicks this week, and not in a funny way.

• Love 8

This wasn't funny most of them were annoying. Amy paying for the diapers & the person putting more stuff was eye rolling.

Glen without this salary and a family would be more interesting.

• Love 5

A Wal-Mart Super Center will bring in yearly revenue in the $10s of millions. Yes, the corporation deals with some of the bureaucracy and financial management of that, but a store manager is still bearing a lot of the responsibility and is the day to day operator. They're not just a step above a floor employee like you might imagine.

The unrealistic part is not that the store manager would make that much money, but that Amy would get the job with only a 1 day management training class. (Yes, the district manager was a nepotistic coke-head, but she was right when she said Amy wasn't qualified for the position.)

But it's a sitcom, so who cares?

• Love 10
14 hours ago, cleo said:

My impression is that Amy is now general manager of the store since Glenn was.  So that range for a new store manager actually seems a little low to me.  Of course, I live in the Mid-Atlantic, so maybe that makes a difference.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

Stores that size have a big sales volume, so the salary seems reasonable to me.

Mateo was being obnoxious, but Amy didn't seem to have even thought about what she would need to do to manage things. She didn't seem to even realize she needed to appoint someone to replace her in the floor manager role.

I expected her first day to be very busy and frantic, trying to get things in place. But she didn't seem to have a single thing to do.

How will Glenn make ends meet on 1/10th of the income he's used to? I hope he and Jerushka have savings, and that their mortgage is paid off already!

Seems to me she hasn't even undergone any training for the job, yet.  But it's just a tv show, so I'm willing to roll with it.

I did find Myrtle talking to holo-Myrtle funny.  And the goat eating the flowers.  But overall, not one of their best episodes.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

If they indeed promoted her to store manager the highest salary they'd give her would be maybe 50K.

The amount of salary for a new store manager was realistic.  A floor supervisor jumping directly to store manager was not.  There are levels of management between Amy's previous job and store manager.

• Love 4

All these are good points about the salary and leapfrog promotion. Not realistic. We have to accept it because it’s a sitcom. We also have to accept that Dina didn’t want it.  It’s more comedic to elevate Amy suddenly. 

• Love 4

On the one hand..Amy seemed completely unprepared and there are levels of management in between (but that's Dina who wanted to stay put). 

On the other, Amy had worked there  sooooo long I do think there are people who could go from floor supervisor to manager, and do it well, with minimal training. She wouldn't know everything but she should be able to segue into it without being a complete disaster. Based on what happened in this episode...seems like she isn't doing so, but the idea that she could is entirely plausible to me.

Hiring Myrtle was dumb. Kind, but dumb. I hope the direction this is going is not a permanent Amy-is-flustered-and-therefore-ineffective plot. I'm not saying she needs to be a magically suddenly great at the job, but there's plenty of room for retail disfunction and comedy without the stupid-awkward we saw with Amy and the diaper lady. We've seen plots before with Amy getting flustered like that, so while it's consistent to the character, I'm also already bored of it.

• Love 6

Although they took a few liberties I have been in both situations. Once I was paid too much money for about 3 checks. I was not expected to pay it back they just corrected their mistake. 

Second I was working at a job and making $25.00 an hour (a pretty impressive salary at the time in my field) Lots of supervision positions would come and go but I didnt have a 4 year degree or the training. Not only did the company reimburse tuition but once I graduated I got the job and went from $25.00 an hour to a salaried day rate that was almost 3 times my salary. So Amy's pay jump was not unrealistic. 

• Love 3

Amy got the job partly by threatening the cokehead, so any plausability issues would not apply. But she did work there for ages, she had not only attended the mini-management seminar, but had also shadowed Glenn for a while. She had done orders, made schedules, and generally taken on a lot of tasks related to management already. And she did have some real ideas during her interview that showed she has actually thought about the store and does know some key things about how it works. And we know Cloud 9 is a clusterfuck, so there's that.

I actually thought her complete lack of direction on her first day was the real anomaly.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Amy got the job partly by threatening the cokehead, so any plausability issues would not apply. But she did work there for ages, she had not only attended the mini-management seminar, but had also shadowed Glenn for a while. She had done orders, made schedules, and generally taken on a lot of tasks related to management already. And she did have some real ideas during her interview that showed she has actually thought about the store and does know some key things about how it works. And we know Cloud 9 is a clusterfuck, so there's that.

I actually thought her complete lack of direction on her first day was the real anomaly.

In any real life scenario, Glenn would have been there to help Amy transition into her new role as store manager, instead of running around the store stocking shelves.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

In any real life scenario, Glenn would have been there to help Amy transition into her new role as store manager, instead of running around the store stocking shelves.

Good point, we could have had some delightful "Glenn shows Amy the ropes, hijinks ensue" scenes.

• Love 4

I hated this episode. I actually got mad at the scene with the diaper lady. Amy's worked at that store for years, she could barely afford to have her baby and only got off work for one day and now she's got the manager job where she'll be doing so much more and she's supposed to feel bad about the money she's making now? Hell no. I had a hard time buying diapers too but did I think I was owed someone else to buy them for me? No. When Glenn was the best thing about the episode then you know it's bad because I hate Glenn. Even my beloved Dina let me down. I thought she'd have more nefarious plans to get Amy to leave Jonah. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

That's true, but maybe they figured they already did that with the Shadowing Glenn episode, where she ended up ordering a billion ice pops because she didn't check the order seven times. It's too bad they didn't save the training for now because it's a weird facet of working life that when people who seem dumb or incompetent leave their jobs, you find out there were things they were doing really well that you never even knew about. It would have been nice to see Amy gain a newfound respect for Glenn.

• Love 4

Oh there was one thing I did like in this episode. Must give credit when it's due. Those Brat Pack portraits Amy was attempting to hang up. I really hope we see them up joined by more in a future episode.

• Love 6
On 4/12/2019 at 2:24 AM, possibilities said:

How will he pay for diapers,  and what will they do for insurance? I hope they still have foster kids, because they're got to need the stipends.

If Glen forgot he wasn't manager any more, why wasn't he there at 4 am as usual,  instead of apologizing for being late to the morning meeting?

On 4/12/2019 at 11:07 AM, JenLily said:

The Mateo storyline didn't bother me too much, except The Office did it better with Pam.

Exactly! Pam successfully created an office  manager job for herself. 

I guess Mateo felt that if he asked Amy, she might have picked someone else. This would have been a good opportunity for her to delegate the choice to Dina, and make her feel that she valued her opinion.

I assume the floor manager makes more money than a regular associate.  Someone is going to have to sign off on that.

On 4/12/2019 at 3:52 AM, AnimeMania said:

If Amy fixes his salary error, she might have saved the company enough money to give everybody a decent raise.  

Cloud 9 needs better bookkeepers.  Someone should have realized that there were too few people working at their branch for the salaries being paid. I also don't understand how Glen was able to withdraw all the unused repair money from the account, (much less in cash) without providing receipts to corporate for how the money was used.

On 4/12/2019 at 1:02 PM, tennisgurl said:

I sure hope that Glenn and Jerushka saved a LOT of money, because Glenn took a serious pay cut. He never seemed like he lived very extravagantly, so maybe they did? I dont see Glenn cruising around with a Lexus

He has lost at least two cars though, hasn't he? Myrtle destroyed one, and he drove one into the store.  The second one, at least, should not have been covered. 

• Love 3
On 4/13/2019 at 12:28 AM, Boofish said:

Although they took a few liberties I have been in both situations. Once I was paid too much money for about 3 checks. I was not expected to pay it back they just corrected their mistake. 

When I worked in HR we always made the employees pay it back. Usually be setting up a payment plan. Obviously, it was never as much as this snafu. 

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

He has lost at least two cars though, hasn't he? Myrtle destroyed one, and he drove one into the store.  The second one, at least, should not have been covered. 

Glenn's cars getting destroyed is a running gag. The show wiki has a page devoted to it. So far, a passerby stole one when the staff was locked in the store, Dina broke all the windows in another with a pressure washer, Mateo dropped a ladder on one and broke the windows, another was destroyed in the tornado when a taco restaurant sign fell on it, Myrtle crashed a delivery truck into one, and Glenn drove the last one into the store.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Whimsy said:

When I worked in HR we always made the employees pay it back. Usually be setting up a payment plan. Obviously, it was never as much as this 

How would the money be collected if the person quit?

6 hours ago, Boofish said:

How would the money be collected if the person quit?

I have to think back, but I think wages were garnished wherever they went.  I worked for the state, so essentially the government.  They can get their money back. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I have to think back, but I think wages were garnished wherever they went.  I worked for the state, so essentially the government.  They can get their money back. 

Oh ok. In Texas only the government can garnish your wages (taxes, student loans) Not to get to far off topic but some states allow creditors to garnish your wages. 

• Love 1
On 4/12/2019 at 1:24 PM, BusyOctober said:

I can't speak to a Walmart type store, but from '89-96, I was a retail store manager in a metro region for a national chain.  I made $65k plus bonus.  One year, my bonus was $30k.  I'm too lazy to do the conversion of 1990 salary to 2019, but I made more money than many of my college friends. 

$65K in 1996 is $105,309.94 in today's dollars. 

On 4/12/2019 at 4:13 PM, GussieK said:

We also have to accept that Dina didn’t want it.

I know several people who have turned down promotions because they don't want to manage people - which is wise, because just because you're good at whatever your job is (say, making widgets) doesn't mean you can manage people who make widgets. I used to work with a guy who turned down promotion opportunities repeatedly because he just didn't want to manage people; he eventually left for a company that had a promotion track that did NOT involve management. It's not hard for me to believe that Dina (or anyone!) doesn't want the responsibility that comes with a job like that - especially since, as @BusyOctober said, retail schedules can be so crazy.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:29 AM, festivus said:

I hated this episode. I actually got mad at the scene with the diaper lady. Amy's worked at that store for years, she could barely afford to have her baby and only got off work for one day and now she's got the manager job where she'll be doing so much more and she's supposed to feel bad about the money she's making now? Hell no. I had a hard time buying diapers too but did I think I was owed someone else to buy them for me? No. When Glenn was the best thing about the episode then you know it's bad because I hate Glenn. Even my beloved Dina let me down. I thought she'd have more nefarious plans to get Amy to leave Jonah. 

Yeah, the diaper thing bothered me too. We can argue that EBT should cover more than food, but it doesn't. That's not Amy's fault or her problem.

• Love 6

I hand-waved Glenn's non-Lexus car as in the same category as why he didn't have an assistant. Maybe he also thought the car would come out of his salary? To me, this says he and his wife are pretty thrifty and probably have a decent bit saved. 

In the end, a Lexus is just a jacked-up Toyota. 

The salary error I can also wave off. At my job, one year I had a bad performance review. HR decided to cut my salary by 10%. I wasn't really happy about this, but what was I going to do? It was to start in January. By that next September, it had not been implemented. Finally, it went into effect in late-October. I was not asked to pay the back cut. 

• Love 2

Yea, I agree, there's a lot about this episode I wasn't a fan of. And I really didn't like Amy being shamed for her increase in salary. That scene with the lady and the diapers was seriously annoying and not funny at all. Especially after seeing Amy struggle so hard this season financially. And I really didn't like the way Cheyenne in particular was behaving towards her. Cheyenne has become very grating this season. 

I did, however, find the part about Dina trying to break up Amy and Jonah funny, because of the way Jonah in particular handled it. That was hilarious. And I loved loved LOVED how supportive of Amy Jonah was. It was nice they didn't resort to manufactured angst over this promotion. Jonah is just genuinely happy for her and supportive.

Sometimes Mateo can grate on me, but I actually thought him trying to just gaslight everyone into thinking he was floor supervisor was funny. I hope he gets caught on it, but it was still funny lol.

I also liked post Marcus announcing his raise, and how Jonah was like "how the heck can you be broke???" Lol. 

• Love 4
On 4/11/2019 at 11:49 PM, cleo said:

it seems a little high. and a company car?  i guess it depends on the area and what you negotiate?

• Love 1
On 4/12/2019 at 11:49 AM, fishcakes said:

Garrett shouldn't have read Amy's contract over the PA, but it is a typically Garrett thing to do so I can't be too surprised or upset. It was tragic/funny how he became increasingly upset with how much Glenn loves any job and Glenn's refusal to acknowledge that being a floor worker is terrible.

Not the best episode, which I chalk up to all the diarrhea/pee/vomit jokes, but it was kind of funny when Justine said she was going to pee laughing and Glenn cheerfully offered to clean it up.

High point: Service goat on the loose and eating flowers. I think the law here changed recently regarding service animals because all of a sudden stores have these signs at the entrance that say the only service animals allowed are dogs and miniature horses. I am still waiting for someone to bring their horse into Safeway.

Low point: Myrtle using ketchup packets to make tomato soup in her mouth.

so besides the animal abuse/nonchalance , the potty "humor" is not funny and i really don't understand how anyone with a modicum of class thinks so. and no, i'm not an old fart.

My husband has a cousin that was a Walmart store manager and now is a manager of a bunch of stores in a region. He started as a front end manager while in college. Then he was willing to move to a horrible crime ridden location and be an assistant manager and then became manager.  He was making over 150k(including bonus) as a store manager in a major city. The bonuses are crazy amounts up to 40k , part of the bonus was based on how much is stolen, or the loss prevention success of your store. The cousin did not make big bonuses at his store because it was full of theft (in fact the store is now closed). Other stores in better parts of the city, the managers made about 25k more then him because of the loss prevention bonuses. He said you have to be willing to take whatever location they offer you if you want to progress. Now he is this regional manger and he makes over 200k and he has a much safer but more rural area that he serves so his travel is crazy. 

My husband has another cousin that started as a cashier and was also going to the same college and 10 years later he is still a customer service manager and makes around 30k a year but he never got the lucky shot at moving up. It is so hit or miss or be there at the right time or be the right person. 

Do I think that the cousin deserves the pay, I was shocked when I found out how much he made.  I think it is high but he has worked so much, remember Walmart does not close. he worked plenty of 16 hour days, and 7 days a week, missed out on many of his kids milestones and dealt with a really rough store with armed theft frequently.  Now his job seems safer but it is so rural, driving between location is hours so he is not home much. 

After talking to him I think there should be 3 managers that work in a rotation making less money. One guy working at least 12 but up to 20 hours day, does not make for quality performance. If you have not slept much or are dealing with police reports and stress , how well can you manage the store? 

What I could not believe is how did Amy not know Glenn's salary. 30k cousin stuck like Amy in the job for years , 100% knows how much the manager makes. I know night stockers that know the managers salary. Also if she was going through the manager training program, no one there talked about? even the other attendees, I'm sure some of them had to be excited for a big jump in pay. I do think it was very unrealtistic to jump the way Amy did. My husband cousin worked for 4 years in a manger trainee program and then got transferred to the big city as an assistant manager for another 4-5 years and then got the store manager job, so almost 10 years of training, college and moving up in a management track.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I worked at a small (tiny compared to Cloud 9) but busy store that did several millions of dollars in sales volume annually. A store the size of Cloud 9 has to be many, many times as much. So they are actually paying Amy a very tiny % of the budget. Really, everyone there should get a raise.

The company car struck me as a bit surprising, because she doesn't have to travel for her job. But I took that as being a sitcom exaggeration, to drive home the point that she was REALLY moving up, not just in $$$ but also status.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, possibilities said:

I worked at a small (tiny compared to Cloud 9) but busy store that did several millions of dollars in sales volume annually. A store the size of Cloud 9 has to be many, many times as much. So they are actually paying Amy a very tiny % of the budget. Really, everyone there should get a raise.

The company car struck me as a bit surprising, because she doesn't have to travel for her job. But I took that as being a sitcom exaggeration, to drive home the point that she was REALLY moving up, not just in $$$ but also status.

I'm okay with the company car. Michael Scott had the Sebring, and since this is from a writer on THE OFFICE, I can hand wave that.

Has Cheyenne always been this terrible? I hate her this season... especially the way she behaves with Amy. It's like whoever is writing this show has forgotten the last three seasons. I get that Cheyenne might be a little resentful as their relationship is changing but she's become so obnoxious. Like, I suddenly really understand why she's with Bo. They're apparently both garbage people.

• Love 4

My husband manages a medium box national (maybe only semi-national) chain pharmacy store and his base salary is 87K with bonuses usually in the 20-40K range based on profits, shrinkage, and whatever random metrics Corporate has decided to focus on at the moment. So Amy’s salary seems a little low but I agree it’s probably because she skipped over, like, five steps.  My husband started this career path at 23 as a college graduate with a business degree. He spent a few years as a floor lead (like I imagine Amy was), then became an assistant manager (like Dina), all while getting and maintaining his pharmacy tech licence. After 6 years as an assistant manager he had the opportunity to get a manager position — but only if he moved three hours away.  He did with the understanding he’d be placed in line for a local store if one became available.  He was eventually moved back to our city and has a pretty good gig.  I mean he’s still expected to be there all the time. If a shift lead is sick, he’ll have to open or close very suddenly.  And he still routinely cleans up messes on the floor. Vomit, random bottles being dropped, yesterday he came home reeking of perfume, cause some customer spilled a bottle. 

Now his job requires a Masters degree. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1