Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Dammit, I was going to suggest this for an EHG topic! You even brought up some of the examples I'd've used (Hatufim/Homeland and Ugly Betty/Soy Betty, la fea)*. So thanks Obama.... err, SnideAsides! Also, I think Dave meant to say QI (not IQ), given his reference to Stephen Fry.

Will Houston, an American adaption of Misfits would be AWFUL. They'd cut out all the (profuse) swearing, they'd all prove to be wrongfully charged (assuming they kept the convicted angle at all), the sex would be replaced with angst-filled longing glances (except possibly in the Season Finale as a Huge! Shocking! Moment!) and the network would insist on them actually being heroic, which for the most part, they weren't. So I expect somebody will remake it - and it'll be cancelled by episode 3.

* I'm sure I've misspelt the originals, sorry!

• Love 2

Was Dave OK? He was unusually quiet this week (except in Game Time, when he had to speak).

Fun game time, which a couple of times I actually got before the competitor (both times Sarah, I think). And kudos to all the players who guessed after one clue!

Very happy about the induction of "Spit & Eggs" into The Canon as it's probably my favorite episode of "Veronica Mars". David's comparing it to "Scream" was spot-on. I remember, when they cut to commercial after Veronica realized the tea was drugged, being legitimately scared for her, even though she was the title character and clearly was going to be rescued.

About Moe, something I don't think anyone mentioned. It wasn't that Mercer and Moe were friends, it was that they had done the Stanford Prison Experiment together (like we saw Logan and Wallace do in episode two of this season) and that the Stockholm Syndrome relationship between guard Mercer and prisoner Moe had continued. The picture Veronica saw of them had them wearing their guard and prisoner shirts. And, in the background of this or maybe the previous episode, we learned that a similar relationship had developed between two students that had done the experiment with Logan and Wallace. I always thought that was a nice little touch.

Love the podcast, just started listening and it's fantastic and fun!

Edited by TeeVee329

Great canon submission -- I remember that episode pretty clearly (but totally get the season 3 issue...) Dave made it a little tougher on y'all with GameTime -- I originally thought of the four clues that players would get two at first, and then two more -- I didn't think it was likely people could get answers off one clue (but obviously Dave was right -- you guys pulled off quite a few 4-pointers there.) The IMDb keywords were maybe kind of iffy as clues -- but I do love the weird specificity that they have sometimes. And I bet they totally get added as fetish search terms...

(Also ditto on loving the "Heathers" answer & hearing Mabel throw in her two cents.)

Survivor (or at least Expedition Robinson, the show it's based on) is originally from Sweden.

I literally only know Bon Cop, Bad Cop because it was one of, like, four Canadian movies deemed successful enough for a "make a food inspired by this movie" challenge on Top Chef Canada. (At least the other three - My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Ginger Snaps, and Naked Lunch - made more sense in context.)

I definitely agree The Genius needs to go to Europe before it ends up in the US. It actually got sold to the Netherlands a year or so ago but apparently hasn't turned up on Dutch TV yet. (In related news, my pick would probably be Wie is de Mol?, which I know was already in the US as The Mole but, honestly, the two shows are so different it's not a surprise one is a ridiculous success while the other has been cancelled three times.)

About Moe, something I don't think anyone mentioned. It wasn't that Mercer and Moe were friends, it was that they had done the Stanford Prison Experiment together (like we saw Logan and Wallace do in episode two of this season) and that the Stockholm Syndrome relationship between guard Mercer and prisoner Moe had continued. The picture Veronica saw of them had them wearing their guard and prisoner shirts. And, in the background of this or maybe the previous episode, we learned that a similar relationship had developed between two students that had done the experiment with Logan and Wallace. I always thought that was a nice little touch.

Loved this about Veronica Mars, the way that plots or details seemed like they were done with after an episode but could come back and add layers to later stories.

I think in the ep with Wallace and Logan doing the experiment, Moe says something like 'I did the experiment in freshman year: changed my life', which is now super-creepy.

Edited by helent

Zoo doesn't have one as a cute mascot already? Defying the "defiant pupil"... with poo?  Why not?

My pick would be Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. Why? Because Fitz had a rough S2 and he loves monkeys. Plus? He's bonkers enough to figure out how to weaponize the stuff. (Fitz, not the monkey, who probably already thinks it is weaponized.)

Added:

Sorry, I missed the "replace" requirement.  On SHIELD, replace  Cal with a poo-flinging monkey when Kyle MacLachlan is unavailable. Or as Head Hydra.

Inspired by David's answer: If a poo-flinging monkey replaced John MacLaughlin on The MacLaughlin Group, I might tune back in again! Instead of Mr. M deeming everyone's points "Wrong!", we'd have a chittering, agitated monkey ready to show people that they were wrong, as opposed to just another grouchy old man.

Edited by Actionmage

I think The Kingdom, Lars von Trier's whackadoodle hospital horror show, could be adapted better than Mr. King's try (Kingdom Hospital).  It could be a neat companion piece to AHS, if Fox/fx got it's mitts on the property.  The cast of both were fine, but the Danish production had the bonus of no expectations from me.  I hope someone else that could appreciate the sensibilities better- like an Edgar Wright, Chris Carter, or Diane Ruggerio (iZombie)-- might think that it's an opportunity to tackle. It's been eleven years since ABC tried; it could be done.

Maybe [as] or Comedy Central could try to transplant the wonderful British Posh Nosh? I love the original as is, but I sometimes wish for new Simon and Minty and their crazy line of food, as well as the nutty cooking terms Minty and Simon use.Points if David Tennant shows up as a tennis instructor!

The originals( about nine) were maybe five minutes or so in length. My PBS station practically uses them as interstitials during its block of Britcoms over the weekend. I am not sure the show could fit a half hour format, but a Children's Hospital/ Robot Chicken 15 minutes? Very possibly. For those who haven't seen the show, Posh Nosh is a faux cooking show hosted by a titled/ landed(?) British peer and his commoner-background wife. (Richard E. Grant and Arabella Weir, who are delightfully snooty and graspy and amazing to watch.) It's where I first heard of an Aga oven. (I sort of want one still.) Simon is drunk and...unhappy in his marriage. Minty tries too hard. The food looks very tasty though. Tons of silliness directed at cooking shows and winetasting and celebrity culture.

If the upcoming Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris is a hit, or even moderately successful, maybe we can import Sabado Gigante? Something so that Saturday doesn't look like a network give-up.

I haven't seen a full episode, but it seemed to involve quite alot, and why not have a couple or three hosts to go with recurring characters, skits, musical acts, interviews/chats with stars and games with audience members?  Counterprogram reruns and sports during prime time and the nets may be surprised. I'm only suggesting more than one host because there's only one Don Francisco.

SnideAsides, I think the labeling was more media driven, as the "slobby husbands" of yore are now deemed "Dad bods" and are supposed to be A Thing currently. Plus, while Tim Allen, Jim Belushi, Kevin James, Bob Newhart,Mike O'Malley, Anthony Clark, et. al. may not have been my personal cup of tea, they are someone's. They are nice looking gents, on the whole.  I appreciated the topic; thank you!

After the way Liv, of iZombie, reacted to that one rat, maybe she can have a zombie rat as a pet? Liv seems so lonely despite having a small circle of support. Upside: none of her non-zom fam & friends would want to get close. Downside: zombie.

TeeVee: Okay, wow, you have blown my mind. (I just tweeted that info & credited you.) That is a pretty awesome long game Rob Thomas was playing there.

I probably only know this because VM was my recapping life at the time, but this was well reported on the boards; in fact, it was hoped that Michael Cera would continue as the Moe character, feeding off his appearance in the "The Rapes Of Graff" storyline. They couldn't get him, obvs, so this was the result.

@Nick, I don't know if you've done it before, but your "Hi, everybody!" didn't go unnoticed.

I like Piz and I'm not sorry.

That was a very tight episode of Veronica Mars- I love Parker's screaming "RAPE!" It was very satisfying. And Logan bashing the cop car is the ultimate Logan moment. And drugged Veronica and the hair in the closet. Very tense.

And apparently this plot was supposed to stretch back to the second season. Michael Cera's character takes Veronica around on a tour was supposed to be Mo. But he got all famous and was no longer available.

ETA- Of course I leave my browser open and hours later comment without reading the later comments. Michael Cera- it is known. 

Edited by Pogojoco

I probably only know this because VM was my recapping life at the time, but this was well reported on the boards; in fact, it was hoped that Michael Cera would continue as the Moe character, feeding off his appearance in the "The Rapes Of Graff" storyline. They couldn't get him, obvs, so this was the result.

Oh, I was in no way trying to say that was my wholly original theory lol.  I just noted that the connection between Mercer and Moe wasn't mentioned in the podcast and I always thought it was such a nice touch and so "Veronica Mars".

Oh, I was in no way trying to say that was my wholly original theory lol.  I just noted that the connection between Mercer and Moe wasn't mentioned in the podcast and I always thought it was such a nice touch and so "Veronica Mars".

Oh totally! I didn't think you were; was just adding to the info.

I finally started watching Playing House, in part thanks to EHG, and I just have to say thank you! SO GOOD.

FYI for anyone who still wants to check it out: you might want to do a Labor Day weekend binge watch, because Season 1 episodes are available on the USA website through 9/9/15 (I don't believe it's streaming on any of the usual suspects).

For me, it would definitely be the end of "Medium". I know it wasn't a prestige show, but I always thought it had one of the best depictions of a marriage on television. And it would be SO easy to fix: it was all a premonition, Allison convinces Joe not to get on the plane. Done.

Allison & Joe 4evah!

I love idea of Lane & Joan living happily ever after in London! I would add that Bob Benson accompanies them to their new firm, and he, along with a few of his seemingly innocent acquaintances, "takes care of" Lane's abusive father in the same way he did for Pete Campbell's mother;.