Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

I have:

* Grrr, Argh"'d and "Bad! Robot!"'d after shows.

* chairdanced to opening themes to Alias, The Late Show With Stephen Colbert, Wonder Woman, really, anything with a decent beat.

*spoken the opening spiel from Burn Notice (" My name is  Michael Weston... .")

* played air-bass to the Barney Miller theme

*try to sing the opening themes of anime I love, in Japanese. ( It's probably horrendous, but no one but the dogs and sometimes the husband  hear it. I hope.)

Whenever something stupid or stupid-sounding is explained/ done on a show Mr. A and I watch, we give out "That's not how that works! That's not how any of this works!"

The shows I watch, it's better for my health not to do drinking games. (Maybe if I were about twenty years younger, maybe.  Maybe I should for premieres, midseason finales and season finales. That way I would have plenty of time to recover. *g*)

Maybe Det. Joe West ( of The Flash, played by Jesse L. Martin) can find a nice love connection with Astronaut-cum-savior Molly Woods (of Extant, played by Halle Barry)? They can talk conspiracies, if shop talk is in order. He can commute to wherever she is  because his honorary son is The Fastest Man Alive, so spacetime isn't a problem, really.  Speaking of, they can also talk about their mixed families. Hell, Joe can really dig in with Ethan, a boy-shaped, learning A.I.! He's survived Barry's science experiment phase and can joke about it now. Molly can also commiserate over the loss of a spouse. ( Granted, nothing has been mentioned about the former[?] Mrs. West, but Joe's daughter has her mom's wedding ring.)  Plus? Both are pretty to look at  and Joe could sing to her, if the audience is really lucky. (Not that Jeffrey Dean Morgan is chopped liver! Despite what was said, Cop JD's ex had to say out loud and plainly that Molly was in love with him. )

Maybe  ADA Laurel Lance ( of Arrow, played by Katie Cassidy) could look at briefs with Phil Kopus ( of The Red Road, played by Jason Momoa).  As per this - http://previously.tv/the-red-road/good-lookin-bad-seed-seeks-romance-possible-getaway-driver/ - Laurel would be down for whatever, as long as she gets to kick ass at some point. Plus, she's seen love-hate bromances, got the shirt, and it's now rags keeping the toes in her awesome crime-fighting boots in the correct shape! Laurel is also used to dating a guy that everyone blames for everything and who is not as book-smart as she is.

Meanwhile Phil gets to squire an esquire, gets to play "Theoretically..." with her, and possibly has to keep the overly-enthusiastic white chick from trying to kick folks ass. ( She's a wildcat! *Lucille Bluth wink*)   Upside? Again, pretty folks to watch and hopefully, happier characters? 

Maybe, just for fun, Control, a.k.a. Diane Claypool ( of Person of Interest, played by Camryn Manheim) and Amanda Waller (of Arrow, played by Cynthia Addai-Robinson) can be an item. They both feel they are on the right side of whatever conflict they are wading into and both are highly secretive, by necessity. We know Control has a daughter, but wouldn't it be hilarious and awful if she had an SO that is equally dangerous and scary? Both rock the professional black suit and heels. Both are supremely confident and not afraid to get physical when the need arises.  They wouldn't want to talk shop, mostly because what's the use? Still, with a child to focus on and someone they feel safe around, this could be an intriguing power couple! Right?

• Love 1

Oliver Queen in either Survivor or Naked and Afraid.  The second because, hello? Mr. Amell works damn hard to look that camera-ready, so why not take full advantage, right? Plus, it'd be hilarious to see how not afraid Oliver would be. "Oh, that's a wild boar? Charging?"  Said boar would either a) fall in a pit trap, b) get trapped in a rope/vine trap ( and thus in the air), or c) shot full of super-primitive arrows.  If he has to be "stranded" with someone, either Ray Palmer (obviously no tech, so comedy with him) or Quentin Lance ( drama from some real talk and not-real surprise at how much Quentin can hold his own in the wild/ is a quick learner.)

For the  first? Ollie would be a challenge monster, physically, and not a slouch on the puzzles, but his social game? Would be iffy, at best. Plus, he's a known 1%er and has twice been arrested as a suspected vigilante very publicly. He might be the first booted off or last until the jury. It would depend on how much story the producers and editors could pull ( good luck)/ imply and how much the other players like/hate him.

Ichabod Crane and  Leftenant Abbie Mills: The Amazing Race. To see the world through Crane's eyes would be wonderful, but to hear Abbie try to drag him out of the educational spots and herd him through an airport would be gold. I also wonder what he'd consent to wear on such a trip. While IA with him on the skinny jean tip, I don't think he'd want to wear that shizz in a warm-to-hot or humid ( or both) climate.

On the other hand, Hillbilly Handfishin'  with them would just be gold, period.

• Love 2

I always sing the one from OMWF. I have also been known to mutter "that's some bad hat, Harry" at, well, bad hats.

I always respond to "That's some bad hat, Harry" with "That's so mean!" I'm starting to really feel bad for Harry. Maybe it's his only hat.

Thanks guys! The Gellars were perfect.

Ichabod Crane and  Leftenant Abbie Mills: The Amazing Race. To see the world through Crane's eyes would be wonderful, but to hear Abbie try to drag him out of the educational spots and herd him through an airport would be gold. I also wonder what he'd consent to wear on such a trip. While IA with him on the skinny jean tip, I don't think he'd want to wear that shizz in a warm-to-hot or humid ( or both) climate.

As much as I love that idea, I think I would also really enjoy Ichabod and Headless (Original Badass Flavour, not Abraham - now with an extra helping of wussy head). Their team subtitle could be something like "Blood Brothers" and Ichabod would always give inspirational end of leg interviews about how everyone underestimates Headless because of his disability; Headless would kill all physical tasks with superhuman strength; Ichabod would instantly solve all puzzles with his eidetic memory and Phil would have an endless source of Pit Stop Puns. And Ichabod constantly having to explain his teammate's condition to the terrified locals would be a gold mine for the sound editors and all their gongs and rattles they like to add when things get crazy.

• Love 2

That Emmy pool is the best awards pool format that I've ever used. It really soothed my indecisive brain, and picking the least-likely adds a fun wrinkle. Thank you, Andrew! (Also, I came in 14th and have never been prouder. If only I hadn't totally blanked on the fact that The Daily Show ended this year! Anyway this isn't about me and all of my regrets.)

Joe, thank you for your eulogy for SYTYCD. The seasons have been up and down (I agree this was not a marquee season, but last season really was, IMO), but it's my favorite Reality Competition series of all time. Genuinely entertaining, moving, and thrilling on a regular basis. Cat Deeley, I will miss you most of all.

I think you guys talked about BFF in EHG v.1, so it's thanks to you that I know and love it. It's a perfect gem of a show, as is Playing House. Really glad this episode got in the Canon, but I wish you would've clipped the part where Jess tells her ex-husband that she hopes he has a terrible flight. "I hope you're sitting next to a baby. A dumb, dumb baby."

I also wanted to mention that when Joe said he was having trouble finishing shows, I immediately thought of Parks & Rec. The series finale sat on my DVR for months because I hated it so much that I stopped it midway through. Glad I'm not the only one who wants to forget that last season.

Every time I hear Liv I think, "Isn't she talking to her mother? So why does she say 'See you next week'? Doesn't she see her everyday?" (I mean, I hope she does, otherwise that really sucks).

It's really hard to read jokes or sarcasm these days. Assuming you are asking a genuine question, she's talking to us.

Where did you all find how well you did in the Emmy pool?

Andrew tweeted a bunch of scores and @ mentioned the people, if he could figure out their Twitter handles. I assume mine was easy because the email I signed up with is only one letter different from my Twitter handle and is an uncommon name. Or maybe I gave my Twitter handle when I filled out the pool and I just don't remember.

Well, I too do most of the speaking/singing/what-have-you along with the production company logo that people have mentioned. Definitely "Grrr, argh" and "That's some bad hat, Harry" and "and danced by the light of the moon." To add one more, I always say "I made this" (in baby voice, of course) along with 1013 productions.

That whole production company thing might be my only TV ritual, though. I really can't think of any others. 

I sing all the names of the actors along with the 90210 theme. (Try it! Dun dada dun. Luke Pe-e-rry. Dun dada dun. Brian Austin Green. This only works in my head doesn't it).

I also sing "Game of fucking Game of fucking Thrones" but I didn't come up with that one.

Finally, this is not a ritual, but I can't help blinking every time the lighthouse light shines towards me from the Castle Rock tag. (Usually Seinfeld).

Edited by hks

Sorry about the name thing! Should have asked before we hit Rec. #rhymeswithscares

And I meant to reply, really no worries at all, it honestly just confirmed my suspicion that spelling it "Lis" is confusing. I feel vindicated! I was right all along! 

Glad everyone seemed to like "Game Time", even if it's funny to hear yourself being cursed quite so often! I agree that a few of them were a bit sneaky (calling "Leo" the team leader of "The West Wing" is justifiable, even if obviously Jed was President and while Devon should really be the leader of Team Knight Rider, it'd give it away as soon as you mention KITT, who is the main character!), but hey, they can't all be easy. And I mention "Night Shift" on CSI (Original) to distinguish the "Team" from the programme (in most cases they were the same) but (eg) "Burn Notice" was the Programme but "Team Weston" was the "Team Name", in as much they had one. 

Glad Sarah was singing the Stingray theme because that's about all I recall of that programme (well, except the fact that it was "In Supermarionation!").

ETA: And it ended in an overall tie! Honestly, that wasn't a fix (at least not on my part)

Edited by John Potts
  • Love 4

You did induct an episode of Fawlty Towers into the Canon during Mark I: Communication Problems. It was actually the first I had ever heard of the show, even though I watched PBS back in the day when it ran all the time. I think I had run across too many episodes of Are You Being Served? and just didn't get it with the British comedy at that age. When you discussed that episode, you all talked about The Germans being a more famous episode and really funny. I'm not sure if that's a matter of remembering something fondly that is problematic when you go back to it with different context.

• Love 1