Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Tara, you should let Liv know she can have a mashed potato bar her future wedding, I've been to two wedding receptions that included those! They may not be as awesome as the baked potatoes from Medieval Times though, can't say for sure.

My favourite part about the delicious baked potatoes at Medieval Times is that they did not actually have potatoes in medieval times. Despite that, it seems like Liv is having a way cooler childhood than mine.

I second MuuMuu Chainsmoker's "Sexual Kaboom" shirt idea but only if it indeed has "... we are all Domer" on the back. *G*

I wanted to give Liv a hug after her mum  explained what "eternity" was! Thanks, Face-Off!

That Game Time was tough, but fun to try and play along with! 

That had to be the goofiest Cannon submission yet. Compared to Under The Dome, though, it was Kafkaesque.

Also, thank you for the kind words for the anniversary and my posts.

So it looks like if Dave wanted to somehow spin off that epic GI Joe Canon submission into a new podcast, he would have a significant audience for it. Just putting that out there.

Also, don't forget to include Willie Mays on the Sexual Kaboom! T-shirt design.

I am surprised that no one went with the classic "Is this because I'm a lesbian?" I've watched a lot of tv in my life, but that's definitely my go-to for things coming out (as it were) of nowhere and really not making any sense at all.

• Love 3

I swear this happened this week.

I listened to that old Extra Hot Great where Joe, David and (to a lesser degree) Tara talked about GI Joe for 45 minutes and I ... found it funny. Granted, I had seen the show as a child and I knew the show, but remembered NOTHING about it other than "Go Joe!" and "and knowing is half the battle..." -- but I did want to say that I was a) not mad and b) actually really enjoyed the episode.

Last week another podcast, We Hate Movies, released a summer rerun of their "Animation Damnation" series about an episode of GI Joe (they go to a dance club... it gets taken to outer space...) and thought "I wish Extra Hot Great would revist GI Joe, I'd love to hear more Dave talking about how ridiculous that show was."

I do not remember the show well enough to have figured out what all the viper drops were about, so it was enormously exciting to get to the Canon and find out it was about GI Joe. I have to admit, the sincere rage of some of the other panelists just made it all the more entertaining. Gooooo Dave!

Yeah, my first thought was "Is this because I'm a lesbian?" First time I remember rewatching a show because I was sure I must have missed something in the lead up. Nope.

• Love 1

@Nick, I can't speak for John, but I can't really blame Skype/delay. I just didn't know my shit this time.

@Muu: My anguished "ARE YOU KIDDING ME" at the end of watching woke one cat, scared another and a husband. So mad.

I did have trouble sorting out some sound details in the louder clips, but that's still no excuse for the Red Wedding fail.

I didn't want to dwell on it because Sarah was SO MAD, but who (a) calls five times to confirm a window-washing appointment, (b) tells the client when he's coming and what he's doing rather than asking, and © apparently does all this unsolicited, since "Mistah Bahbecue" had no idea what was happening?

Holy. Hell. I used to hear variations on the "Viper" story as a joke/campfire story back in grade school. I now have no idea if "GI Joe" originated it or appropriated it.

Yeah, I immediately thought, "The vindow viper? Surely it could not be that!"

....it was that.

What TV experiences made us go "wow"?

I will go with the exclamation point after "Wow" for the sake of positivity.

My all-time "Wow" (and I was young at the time): the identity of the St. Elsewhere serial rapist.

Runners-up: Locke is no longer Locke on Lost (see also Faux Francie on Alias) and the implication of Donut incest on Veronica Mars.

I have several undeletable shows on my DVR because I love love love certain scenes within those shows.  Ben proposing to Leslie on Parks and Rec, Sue's graduation on The Middle, the Homecoming Dance on episode 1 of Freaks and Geeks are a just a few of my "collection".  Yes, I know that I could see them all on YouTube, but sometimes I'd just rather grab the remote from my spot on the couch and watch a few favorite scenes.

"wow..." : The pilot of Profit ( Fox, 1996) I was not ready for what I saw and the final reveal skeeved me, yet I was hooked as long as FOX showed me the show. Aidrian Pasdar's last line? The delivery almost made me want to sleep with the lights on.  I own the dvds, that's how much I still enjoy that twisted, ill man. (Adrian Pasdar has aged pretty, pretty pretty well.)

The final episode of ReBoot. Me: screaming at the TV. They ended it on a big cliffhanger (like, 'one of these beloved characters is not going to make it'). I mean, the show was already cancelled; they KNEW there weren't going to be more episodes! STILL BITTER.

• Love 1

On Dave's BSG note... this is mine, forever and ever amen. My husband and I literally jumped to our feet and screamed as it was happening. It was so good, such a good tactical decision, and so surprising. I hate a lot of things about BSG now but I will love it forever because of this scene. I'm glad we were watching it live. I almost never say that. 

Also Fat Apollo forever. Never fails to make me laugh. 

VGOAhTd.gif

• Love 4

Now I have to wonder whether Tara and/or Matt have ever seen " Mary, Queen of Shops," which was a British show fixing failing mom & pop clothing stores. Being British, it only had around 8 episodes, but they were awesome.

Oh man, I couldn't agree more about "Why?"

Hannibal's standup is outstanding, for my money he's one of the best standups currently going. And Lincoln is fantastic on Broad City. My question is "Why?" is this show so much crappier than it has any business being? I really don't think it's Hannibal himself, or at least I can't yet bring myself to believe that. Shitty writing staff? I dunno, even the format seems like it SHOULD (or at least COULD) work. But it's just so flat.

I do have to disagree about the "man on the street" segments. I think they've been the best part of the show so far, though it's sadly a low bar.

And don't even get me started on booking musical guests on a 30 minute comedy show, for crying out loud. Every now and then, sure. I guess. But every week? Between that, applause breaks and ads, this show is woefully light on actual material.