Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E16: Red Alert

1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

Wow. Even with an entire story revolving around Lily, she's not there.

Plus, they pulled every "first period" joke from the last 30 years. You have Gloria with her "special time and home remedy". Alex with her "expertise". The clueless parents, the relative who should have been there. I'm sorry, even over the years and the stupid that Manny has become. He would have seen the text and gone: "Nope! Not going to happen!" Even Claire's story was a big; "Been there, done that." Oh Dear God! Can we get Haley and Dylan any more stupid and will be horrible parents. I mean, even Haley's line about her period always reminded her to pay her credit card bill. Umm... even if she doesn't do paper, she didn't get notifications on her phone that said: "Your bill is over due!" Plus, even with the wrap, Dylan showed her in order several times how to wrap, what does she do? She always doesn't do the bottom. She is in baby lamaz class and she has NO CLUE what the basic answers are. Just stop, it's painful!

As for Lilly, at that point, get out of the damn bathroom! I'm not going with Phil, why are they making him so stupid and dysfunctional. I mean, Luke answered all the questions and you were like: "This is Luke? He is actually intelligent." 

• Love 3

I'll admit that I laughed more than usual at this one. Particularly at Haley realizing why her credit cards weren't working, and some of Phil's insanity (like questioning if it's really pronounced "flamily," and being unable to hear his British accent).

The menstruation plotline made me very nervous, though, because "how will two gay men talk to their daughter about her period?!?!" is an argument used by conservatives all the time. And Cam and Mitch knowing nothing about the subject, and having no plan for how to handle it, seemed to be playing right into that.

I was relieved, though, when they ultimately were the ones who knew how to handle the situation (even if they did it like idiots).

• Love 10

I liked the Hi Manny, Bye Manny, exchange as Manny Mansplains menstruation to Lilly. I laughed at quite a bit of this episode, way more than any other episode this season. I really thought Luke was going to borrow Phil's suit and finish Phil's video, accidentally finding his career path.

• Love 14
48 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I liked the Hi Manny, Bye Manny, exchange as Manny Mansplains menstruation to Lilly. I laughed at quite a bit of this episode, way more than any other episode this season. I really thought Luke was going to borrow Phil's suit and finish Phil's video, accidentally finding his career path.

This was me, pretty much. I actually liked this episode. Though Ariel Winter is looking skeletal these days. First Sarah and now her. It's sad. 

• Love 2

Alex is back to being herself after having a good episode last week.

They're really dumbing Haley down in an effort to make Dylan seem normal and capable. Can't do that writers. After you began an arc (sort of) making Haley grow and start to become responsible and after you've spent 10 seasons or whatever it's been making Dylan dumb as a post, you can't just rewrite who these characters are.

Phil is physically out of it (sick) again. And on the job. We've seen this before. Ty Burrell has again taken a turd of an episode and made me actually smile or laugh at some of his terrible plot.

I always enjoyed Jay and Claire's interaction at work but this whole bosses' daughter/undermining my authority plotline has gotten old. If Jay truly does exit the business, I hope they give him something to do other than have Gloria yell at him. Pair him up with Cam or Phil. Those stories are usually pretty good.

• Love 8

The cookie company plot was ridiculous. This is supposed to be a huge company and we are to think there's only two fools running every aspect of it? They don't have accounting and legal departments?

This was just another "kick Claire" story and it's another thing that's gotten old.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 3

I noticed Manny used the term "step-uncle" when in the past he made a big deal to never use the term step.

I missed not seeing Lily, I actually like her and the actress.

Don't know what's up with Phil, I love him, he's not that dumb.

I like competent Dylan.

• Love 4

Another episode that didn't really click with me.

My biggest laugh was Mitchell's little shoulder shimmy when he said he bought the diva cup because it sounded fun, lol. 

I really, really don't care about Claire and Jay's work stuff, I'd like to see more storylines with the families all together. And no, half the family gathered outside a bathroom door haranguing Lily about her period doesn't count.

That whole storyline bugged, in what universe does a teenage girl want their entire family to talk about getting her period? Especially someone like Lily, who is clearly not a "share your feelings" type of person. What is there to even talk about? Aside from the mechanics of how to use a tampon or whatever, there's not much more to say. I don't know why tv shows always make it sound like women throw a parade for each other every time someone gets their period. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

The funniest "girl gets her first period" TV episode I've ever seen (not that there have been a lot, thank god) was the "King Of The Hill" episode when Connie gets her period while staying at the Hills while her parents where in Hawaii. Hank was alone with her and had to go to the Megamart for supplies.

I've never understood the "welcome to womanhood" attitude. For most women, it's "welcome to cramps, inconvenience, and fear of pregnancy." I think Lily would have appreciated a "here's your supplies, here's how you use them, I'm here for any questions" from any of the women. Claire would have been perfect for that.

Edited by MaryMitch
  • Love 9

Manny mansplaining periods to Lilly is such classic Manny. Its probably the most in character most anyone has been in ages, especially Manny. 

It had some funny scenes, like Phil not hearing his own British accent, and I find it hilarious that we had a Lily episode with only a few minutes of actual Lily, but I had to roll my eyes at the levels of hacky sitcom shenanigans. I mean, are we really doing the "hahahah men are afraid of girl stuff and periods LOL" plot? In 2019? Its like a sitcom from the early 90s just showed up and took over the show! 

Haley and the jokes about her being dumb are already old, but her realizing why her credit card is getting denied was hilarious.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

but I had to roll my eyes at the levels of hacky sitcom shenanigans. I mean, are we really doing the "hahahah men are afraid of girl stuff and periods LOL" plot? In 2019? Its like a sitcom from the early 90s just showed up and took over the show! 

Haley and the jokes about her being dumb are already old, but her realizing why her credit card is getting denied was hilarious.

That's the problem with the show this entire season. They are pulling out everything "other shows" have done the last 30 years, acting like it's genius writing. Even as said upstairs about just explaining how tampons and pads work and just moving on. No, it HAD to be a big deal. Same with the continuing problems with Haley and Dylan. Yes, they are trying to make Dylan look smarter, but making Haley so bad she doesn't know how to dress herself. Yet, then they have Dylan reacting to things where you go: "What the hell is wrong with you? If I say turn left, you don't turn right you dumbass!" You can't have it both ways. Even now, with how Haley doesn't know basic answers to baby questions or how to do a wrap after about 20 times and continues to not tuck the bottom in first as Dylan said. At one point, you remember things but once again: "See, she has pregnancy brain she doesn't even know what she did 2 seconds ago. Isn't it funny!" No, no it's not. 

• Love 6

I don't think there was any original storyline in this episode. We've been through Jay's conflicts with Claire at the closet company and his retiring before. We just had an episode earlier this season about Haley being worried about being a bad mom and then being reminded of how she took care of Luke and Alex. It was predictable that they were going to do the exact same thing with Phil.

The cookie CEO storyline with Claire was just gross. Not at all funny. I was actually really happy to see that she was being recognized for being competent and offered another job and then that pile of crap happened.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, partofme said:

noticed Manny used the term "step-uncle" when in the past he made a big deal to never use the term step.

He has definitely said it before and called Luke his step nephew.

(edited)

The funny:

Why isn't "Menses" a gay bar for little men?

"Damn whisper slides" (After Claire tries to slam Jay's office door.)

Dylan successfully burping Haley.

"You're not better than us, you know" (Cam's response to Mitchell saying "disgusting" after Haley grabs the paper towels on her way outside to pee in the litter box.)

"Shark Week" (What Haley calls her period)

The phone in the melon due to sleep-magic.

Phil feeling his toe again.

Burrito Basement e coli (The price Dylan paid for learning to swaddle.)

The interesting:

How many domain names does Cam own?

The questionable:

Doesn't Phil have a lot of experience with drones?

Why would Congress require testimony about a business owner playing with his genitalia at his place of work?

Gloria thinks that women menstruate because of their sins?

At least Phil didn't hire Manny to direct the video.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

This show hasn't been great in several seasons, but the thing that really took me out of this episode was the fact that they sent the pregnant woman to use the cat's litter box. Have none of these writers heard of toxoplasmosis?!

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
6 minutes ago, marina707 said:

This show hasn't been great in several seasons, but the thing that really took me out of this episode was the fact that they sent the pregnant woman to use the cat's litter box. Have none of these writers heard of toxoplasmosis?!

I had actually forgotten about that but that's a really good point.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Aryanna said:

I had actually forgotten about that but that's a really good point.

Not to mention how ridiculous the notion of people using a cat litter box at all.  The size differential is pretty extreme.  Is Cam going to go scoop the litter box after Haley uses it? No of this bears thinking about.

• Love 3
On 2/28/2019 at 9:05 PM, VCRTracking said:

I admit I LOL'd when Lily yelled "GET THE *bleep* OUT OF HERE, MANNY!!" from behind the door.

Jesse Tyler Ferguson looked like he was really trying not to laugh as Manny walked past him after that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

Jesse Tyler Ferguson looked like he was really trying not to laugh as Manny walked past him after that.

I wish Lilly's next line was: "Everyone hates you because you are a moron who can't catch a clue!" 

• LOL 1

Finally watched this tonight. Just a whole bunch of meh. Also Jay saying to Claire he’s going to leave the closet buisness. Didn’t he already? Technically he isn’t the boss anymore and hasn’t been for years. He retired and put Claire in a charge, and then got bored and came back just to be around to help out or something.

Haley thinks she’s going to be a bad mom. Really glad they gave her this storyline so Sarah doesn’t really have to learn any new lines each week.

How are they going to have material for next season when they keep recycling plots?

• Love 3
On 2/28/2019 at 9:05 PM, VCRTracking said:

I admit I LOL'd when Lily yelled "GET THE *bleep* OUT OF HERE, MANNY!!" from behind the door.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:33 PM, madpsych78 said:

Best line in this episode.

Manny is absolutely the worst.

• Love 2