Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E14: What's Your Motto?

preeya
  • Start Topic

The final four chefs participate in a tableside challenge.   The winner of the challenge receives a luxurious day in Malibu and invites one of the other chefs to join. Later on, the chefs endure a showmanship challenge, which is plagued with rookie mistakes.

Edited by preeya

I was surprised and disappointed to see Motto take himself out as I was pulling for him to win.  A day or so ago I read an interview with him.  I noticed that he came across in his comments as intelligent and that everything he said was grammatically correct with no bad language.  Tonight when he was explaining his decision to his competitors, I realized I'd never heard him speak at length before.  I'm sorry to see him go but he probably made a good decision.

Gordon didn't try very hard to look surprised......................which he wasn't.  It was pretty obvious when, just a moment later, a big picture came down showing the finalists with no Motto.

I will be shocked if anyone but Ariel wins.  Bret is a jerk with issues and Mia is giddy and immature.  They both know how to cook but neither is ready to be in charge of anyone else.

• Love 10

That's too bad about Motto leaving, but I am sure that he knows what's best for him.  I noticed he walked down the hall still wearing his black jacket.  I don't think I've seen that in a while if ever.

Please-oh-please let it be Bret that is sent home.  I can't believe he's made it this far.  And I can't believe how the other chefs and Ramsay seem to respect him so much.  It just boggles my mind.  What do they see that I don't see?  He's such a yabo.

• Love 11
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Please-oh-please let it be Bret that is sent home.  I can't believe he's made it this far.  And I can't believe how the other chefs and Ramsay seem to respect him so much.  It just boggles my mind.  What do they see that I don't see?  He's such a yabo.

He better get sent home for his own good. With his record and background, Vegas will eat him up and spit him out and he won't even know what happened. His bullshit personality and Vegas just won't mesh.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 7

I thought Motto dropping out now was pretty lame. Is he trying to act like a martyr or is he afraid he may not win? If I were competing against someone like that I'd be pissed. Now he can tell himself he'd have won otherwise. QUITTERS are LOSERS.

I sure hope they get rid of Brett. He reminds me of a dirty, partially shaved and tattooed chimp. If a restaurant sent him to cook tableside for me I'd lose my appetite.

• Love 8

I wonder if Motto realized that fast constant pace just wasn't for him. I do admire him for being all calm and collected about it.

This is at least the second time Mia's been all "I'm Puerto Rican. Booze, baby, booze!" Oh, quiet. Also, judges at what is an extended job interview should never be asking you if you're drunk.

Edited by mertensia
  • Love 9
50 minutes ago, Ellee said:

Lol ... did anyone else see Mia’s face during Motto’s ‘I’m putting myself up’ speech?  

I think I’m getting mad at myself for even watching this stuff ...  

I missed it - what was her expression?

1 hour ago, mertensia said:

I missed it - what was her expression?

Eyes twinkling, the silly smirk ... 

it could have been edited in but I took it as she knew all along what was happening.  Guess it could have been a retake too.  Lol, don’t know. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I think Motto was afraid he WOULD win and didn’t want the responsibility.

Yeah, that's certainly a possibility. I will miss his cheerful obliviousness to all the backstabbing, though.

Edited by mertensia
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

giggling ... The responsibility or dealing with a life change that might include more negatives than positives.   I think Motto has been looking more beat up in recent episodes.  Tired beat up I mean.  Hope the decision to do this was truly his and not one he made in a tired state.  

I like Motto and wish the best for him.  

I wonder what Kevin is up to too.  There is probably one or two more but names are escaping me again today.   Thank goodness people put up with me calling them honey or dear. 

• Love 3

I had to laugh at Bret's assessment of Mia as someone who makes one plate in 45 minutes as a private chef.  What does he think he is then?  Funny how it also says private chef under his own name.

I hope Ariel's competition IS Bret.  I want to see her kick his ass.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I agree but not that he was afraid of the responsibility but more that he looked at his quality of life (which seems to be quite good) and his love of his home town and just didn't want to give it up for a brief sojourn with GR.

• Love 6

I actually think Motto quit to prevent being eliminated. I sort of buy that he wanted to go back and help his community, but I almost think he knew he wasn't beating Ariel, he didn't do well at the pass, and he realizes how much Ramsay loves Mia, and wanted to go out on his own terms.

And I respect that, but if Ramsay was cutting two at this elimination, I think Motto had about a 50% chance of going home anyway.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I had to laugh at Bret's assessment of Mia as someone who makes one plate in 45 minutes as a private chef.  What does he think he is then?  Funny how it also says private chef under his own name.

I hope Ariel's competition IS Bret.  I want to see her kick his ass.

LOL, Bret works (or worked) in a pizza place.

• Love 3

I'm in the minority.  I'd rather see Ariel go up against Brett in the finale.  Mia gets on my nerves.  She's got some maturing to do.  She made more mistakes on the pass then the others.  Chef told everyone else how many mistakes they made but with Mia he just brushed over it.  Hold her to the same standards and quit looking at her cute face.  Chef Ramsay has always loved a pretty girl, but don't let it be a decision making factor for winner.  I think Ariel should win.  Brett has the passion, but I think he'd be overwhelmed and I don't want to eat food with tears in it.

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

My take is that he has roots\interests (perhaps a lover and or kids) that he didn't want to uproot for the potential move to LV. Also, I believe he spoke to GR about his decision beforehand and GR's reaction was acting. Gordan did tell him to call after he completed his tasks in Baton Rouge, which likely would lead to a job or an investment offer. Motto seems to be a guy that has goals and unlike Brett has his head on straight.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, milner said:

I hate to say it because I think Mia is a good chef but she is simply too young at this stage to run a kitchen full of older staff. Of course YMMV

I believe Mia is the same age as Heather. 

I can’t believe Motto quit. Makes Kanaes elimination even more awful. Sorry, if you aren’t  up to this challenge, don’t stick around and screw over others just to make yourself feel good. I really thought Motto was a finalist, although he did seem overwhelmed in the pass. 

Does anyone else feel the challenge reward, where Ariel chose the disgusting slob Bret, was scripted? Why in the world would she want to spend a day with that slob, especially when a massage is involved. We had to fast forward through that disgusting scene. I was also surprised that the horseback ride did not require them to wear helmets. Almost any place that provides horse rentals, especially to people who have never been on a single horse except the electric one outside the old Woolworths, requires helmets in case of a fall. Although, to be fair, I don’t  think Bret would have to worry about any additional brain damage if he fell off.

The cliffhanger ending sucked. Why leave us hanging, it’s not like we aren’t  going to come back for a finale after all these weeks. Just please let it be Mia, not the disgusting slob. I don’t want to see his tattoo kissing heavenly reaching mug anymore.

In the slim chance Bret somehow wins and ends up a GR chef, expect the first GR Pizza slice restaurant.

• Love 13

I always think that if I was on this show and had the chance to pick someone to go with me on rewards, I'd pick whoever came in second. That's fair. I bet that Bret was ranked the lowest by those chefs (at least, he was on that one card, and one table had all their plates still full of his food when the bus person took it away). Especially after he was shown doing that "peace out" thank you to the chefs: I was sure that I was going to see him getting the low score. 

Thanks to the poster who noted that Heather and Mia are the same age. I get why some posters think that she doesn't have the authority to take charge of a kitchen, but I also believe that cooks generally acknowledge other good cooks and would listen to her. If for no other reason than they want to keep their jobs. 

I definitely believe that Mia is better than Bret. 

If I was on during this "sabotage" show, I'd be watching anything that came from the sous chefs. It's hard to tell if the show is showing everything that the chefs missed. Arial got "scrambled eggs" that she blamed Bret for, and Mia got risotto with too much garlic from Bret. Was he sabotaging Arial and Mia? Ariel missed that puree substitution by Gordon. She had a bunch of chances at it and he finally had to tell her what was wrong with it. He told her "well spotted, caught one, lost one" which doesn't seem "well spotted" to me. But if Bret was also sabotaging people, that seems pretty bad. 

When Motto said he was putting himself up, only Ariel looked sad (of course we have no knowledge of what the show decides to show us) whereas Bret and Mia looked kind of relieved. I think that Ariel felt that she was safe, though I'm not sure she was right to feel that way, based on what she missed. But when they came back from commercial, Mia looked more concerned; I feel like we were manipulated a bit, there. After the break, it was actually Ariel who had the smirk. 

I don't know why Motto was in this competition if he wanted to stay home. 

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Ellee said:

giggling ... The responsibility or dealing with a life change that might include more negatives than positives.   I think Motto has been looking more beat up in recent episodes.  Tired beat up I mean.  Hope the decision to do this was truly his and not one he made in a tired state.  

I'd look tired and beat up too if I had to be around Trev and Bret 24/7.

Edited by mertensia
Forgot the too.
  • Love 8
27 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

We have reservations to eat at Hell's Kitchen Las Vegas next month for hubby's birthday.  If Bret wins, we're cancelling it.  Not kidding.  

If you do go, be sure to post your experiences.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, preeya said:

If you do go, be sure to post your experiences.

We've already eaten at the London Steakhouse in the Paris Hotel, Gordon Ramsey BR and the Pub and Grill.  The food in every one of them was excellent . . . but the ambiance at the Steakhouse (the most expensive by far) left a lot to be desired.  Tables too close together, and a modern, sterile (LOUD) atmosphere.  We saw Christina expediting the night we were there, and met Chef Scott at the Pub and Grill.  He even came out and posed for a picture with me when our server told him there was a fan in the house!

• Love 3

We ate at the Hells Kitchen in Vegas last October.  The winner from last season was there and she took a picture with my daughter (her idea to go) in front of the blue and red kitchens.  The food was great.  We had reservations at 11:15 am and the place filled fast.  The service was also phenomenal 

• Love 4

I can't believe stupid sweaty lazy Bret is still in it. Every time he does that dumbass crying over his parents thing, it's such a weakass act. I'm embarrassed for his daughter.

I hope Ariel get it this time. Not sure why she'd want to spend a day with Bret, though. That pick was disappointing.

Disappointed Motto dropped out, but at least he left on his own terms, and wasn't a whiny and delusional at any point.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, AZChristian said:

On 2/3/2019 at 4:06 AM, mertensia said:

I'd look tired and beat up too if I had to be around Trev and Bret 24/7.

no kidding. Bret is the equivalent of an anti-Joey from Friends - none of the charm or wit, and all the negatives. And I'm guessing with his size, he's likely a snorer. (I can say this as I'm a snorer too, and feel bad for anyone who has to put up with that.)

• Love 1

No way Bret wins. Looks like Ariel will win. Motto did 9 punishments never had a reward. He did look tired so he left. I don’t think he would have won anyway. He is too nice and not quick enough.

Bret moaning on the beach yeah no thanks for the visual. 

• Love 1

Motto's initial announcement putting himself up was likely unscripted. Everything else was probably planned more or less. 

I do suspect that he and GR and the producers had a long talk about what was going on after that announcement too. I fully expect that GR was planning to have Motto and Ariel in the finales, so he would have a Rookie vs Veteran. So Motto throwing in the towel probably really did through a wrench in the works. GR's parting words and letting him keep the black jacket shows that Gordon respected Motto's work and work ethic. 

As for who will actually be the final two now; it could be either, but I'm leaning heavily to having Mia now, so they can maintain the Rookie vs Vet pairing, and either way they get another female winner. Plus I just don't see Brett winning no matter what. 

As for Motto deciding to quit then and not earlier, I think I can understand it. That was the first time they were running the pass, when they feel what it is like to run a GR (or at least a Hells Kitchen) restaurant, and not just be a cook within it. The prize is close enough there and the experience is real enough to fully assess if he wants that sort of stress in his life. (Along with the other GR-media requirements, like chefing on his other shows). 

For his future, I doubt we've seen the last of Motto. He'll probably be on Masterchef not as a contestant of course, but in the mob of chefs for the "Cook for established chefs" challenge. 

And once his exclusivity rights with Fox expire, I'm sure he'll be on Top Chef and/or be doing the Food Network competition show rounds (Chopped, Iron Chef, GGG, Beat Flay, etc... )

• Love 1
On 2/1/2019 at 9:37 PM, Yeah No said:

I'm baffled as well. I can only assume that the producers see him as a colorful character, and think his "personality" has entertainment value. The slobby, loud mouthed guy seems to be a staple of these cooking competition shows. Next Food Network star has had a number of them.  (He's also a cartoonish ethnic stereotype, which these shows seem to like too).

I really want to see Mia make the final over him, as payback for his having been so nasty towards her. I think his attitude has a lot do with his macho male chauvinism. He sees her as a "little girl" and can't imagine that that she'd be his equal or better. 

Ariel has seemed like the overwhelmingly obvious choice to win for so long that I'm almost afraid she won't, just so the show can have a surprise ending.

On 2/1/2019 at 10:37 PM, Eataton said:

I sure hope they get rid of Brett. He reminds me of a dirty, partially shaved and tattooed chimp. If a restaurant sent him to cook table side for me I'd lose my appetite.

I agree. But I'm sure there are a lot of chefs and line cooks working in restaurants that don't look all that different. Probably better for one's peace of mind that you don't generally get to see who's preparing your food.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4

I am a sap, but seeing Ariel cry and then hug Motto over his decision made me tear up. One of the reasons Motto gave was that he wants to start a family, and he's absolutely right to think that would be put off by relocating to Las Vegas.

Some Googling turns up that Motto got married this past October. He's 35, and his wife looks to be close in age. Even if she's 30, if they want a family, they shouldn't delay it.

Plus, there's really nothing wrong with choosing to stay the big fish in the little pond. It looks like he was doing well professionally before HK, so I imagine this will certainly boost his status locally.

I cannot stand Bret. Between the "I only have one kid I know about *hyuk hyuk hyuk*" and the "Yeah, I have a girl[friend], I think I actually love her" stuff, he's shown himself to be a jerk and INCREDIBLY emotionally immature. And he's something like 35 himself! I feel sorry for his girlfriend, who he completely humiliated on national TV. The only reason I'd want him in final two would be to see Ariel wipe the floor with him, and to see his cryface when his door doesn't open.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, aussieinsydney said:

I'm thinking it will be Brett and Ariel for final two with Ariel taking out the win. Brett or Mia imo, just don't have what it takes to run a restaurant.

Brett never. Mia will/should grow and eventually make it. She obviously can cook. Maturity & experience is what she lacks and that will come with time.

• Love 3