Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: Episode 2

• Start Topic

Lucille treats an elderly hoarder (Annette Crosbie) suffering from a malodorous leg ulcer, and fears that living surrounded by towering piles of rubbish, books and tins of food will have a serious effect on her recovery. Sister Hilda has a challenging case on her hands when a family newly arrived from Ghana are found to be suffering from an unidentified illness, and Violet runs for a place on the local council, but Fred is not convinced she can make a difference to the community, placing more faith in the Civil Defence Corps.

Airs January 20, 2019.

I really loved Lucille helping the suffragette.  Not just helping her adjust to needing more help, but listening to her and Sister Monica Joan about what it's like in the later years of life.  Plus, Lucille blocking the door was amazeballs.  And I liked that she was left the medal while the little girl was left the money she might have made helping the elderly lady.

Fred had me wanting to smack him!  Support your wife, fool!  I'm glad he came around in the end and apologized to Violet.  I did wonder if he felt she didn't believe the CDC couldn't protect them--ie: that HE couldn't protect HER if shit hit the fan.  It seemed that way a bit.  Still, good he realized his mistake.

Oh, Sister Hilda!  I didn't get why she was trying so hard to be in charge.  I think it might be a carryover from her helping the former Mother Superior.  But I liked that Trixie snarked just a bit to get her to chill out.  Also, we've known about sickle cell my whole life, so it was interesting to see Dr. Turner try to see how to get a handle on a disease the British medical community knows little about.  And yay for the Ghanaian family for staying!  Nice that the dad's boss worked with him to keep him on staff.

• Love 14

As much as I liked the family from Ghana, it was the story of the Suffragette that brought the tears.  I really liked how they brought a little bit of spunk to Lucille and gave Sister MJ something to do.  (Also, could somebody more versed in British currency give this American an idea of how much the little girl was given, tucked away in pages of The Iliad?)

If Violet had given Fred a good kick in the shin, I would have cheered out loud.  

I also liked the dynamic between Trixie and Sister Hilda.  They're both very strong-willed and knowledgeable, so of course they would butt heads, but I loved how Hilda softened.  (That and I adore Fenella Woolgar - have since she played Agatha Christie to a T on Doctor Who.)

• Love 13
(edited)
On 1/22/2019 at 2:26 PM, OnceSane said:

And yay for the Ghanaian family for staying!  Nice that the dad's boss worked with him to keep him on staff.

That seemed so, so unrealistic and excessively reaching for a happy ending. I did love Joel, though, so I am glad.

Does Joel's post-graduate qualification mean a graduate degree following college, or a certificate, perhaps in business or accounting, following high school?

Edited by jschoolgirl
  • Love 3

Sometimes I can guess what the mysterious ailment is when the symptoms are mentioned (not in the medical profession, but I read/watch a lot of medical books/TV shows), but I didn't guess Sickle Cell.  As, as someone else mentioned, it's sad that there's still no cure.  It reminded me of the episode with the woman who was diagnosed with Huntington's.  There's still no cure for that today, either. 

I was curious as to how the husband was able to keep his symptoms a secret from his wife.  I'm sure he's had flareups before.

• Love 2

The Suffragette story was a strong hit of feels. Lucille was so sweet and patient with her, its a hard line to walk with some people when they reach a certain age and physical limit. You dont want to leave them in a dangerous situation where they are unable to take care of themselves, but you also dont want to take someone agency from them or treat them like a burden or a chore. It was really nice that she left the medal to Lucille, and the money to the little girl, even if it was a very bittersweet ending. 

I didnt guess Sickle Cell, but what a brutal diagnosis for that family. Its even sadder knowing that there still isnt a cure, and people are still dealing with it today. 

All those election day outfits were on point!

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I was curious as to how the husband was able to keep his symptoms a secret from his wife.  I'm sure he's had flareups before.

Sickle cell crisis is often brought on by changes in temperature (cold temps bring it on), exertion, high altitude.  If he was in some sort of an office or teaching position in Africa he may not have had severe episodes and maybe just thought it was something minor.  It was the change in lifestyle in England that sent him into crisis.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13

unlike ‘this is us’ (after season one) and earlier, ‘parenthood,’ this show is a perfect example of how layered writing earns viewers’ tears. 

i particularly loved how the suffragette tucked the money in the book she left for the girl who brought her groceries. 

• Love 16

I knew early on that it was sickle cell disease. The father and son having joint pains was a dead giveaway. Ironic that a mild form of the disease was a positive trait to have in areas prone to malaria.

That was Annette Crosby? I haven’t seen her in ages. So sweet that that the lady left the little girl money.

• Love 6

Was it just me, or did anybody else think Violet sounded like she had a different voice? I actually wasn't sure if it was her at first because she sounded so different to me, her accent seemed a lot less strong or something.

4 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

That seemed so, so unrealistic and excessively reaching for a happy ending. I did love Joel, though, so I am glad.

Why did you find the ending unrealistic?  The cost of returning home would have been high, and living in England was obviously their dream.  They would presumably have access to better medical attention and drugs in Poplar.  And I didn't see anything strange in Joel being found a different job within the Post Office - the way he was depicted I'm sure he was hard-working, reliable, and non-whiny.

• Love 8
(edited)
21 hours ago, JustDucky said:

.  (Also, could somebody more versed in British currency give this American an idea of how much the little girl was given, tucked away in pages of The Iliad?)

This is a guess, but it was maybe 150 pounds, which would be around 3,000 pounds today, or approximately $4,000.  Pretty nice life lesson for the little girl to continue to be kind to others.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 12

My daughter has the sickle cell gene and was told it would help her with malaria when she was traveling. Many haven't heard much about it so it was educational in that way.

I thought the only stretch for me was the will being done so quickly, but I might have missed something. Many fans say PBS edits and the dvd's have longer episodes at times.

I love Sr Monica Joan's remarks and I liked how they are showing less dementia and more of her caring and wit. I liked how she worked with Lucille each bringing something of their own to the table. The ending was sad but heartwarming also.

• Love 9
(edited)

I guess I saw something different than others did.   I didn't think it was noble or dignified to keep the old lady in her filthy home where she couldn't manage the most basic care for herself.   Just because she was once a "somebody" doesn't change what she needs now.   Most dear souls in nursing homes were once "somebodies" but their care needs have grown too great.   The nurse barring the door was ridiculous.   And Sister MJ... don't get me started.   She could use a nursing home herself.  Her pontificating just made me mute my TV.

And, I do get it that the objection was to her being forcibly removed. But come on, the woman was throwing her feces at people like a deranged animal. 

Edited by Suzysite
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, Brookside said:

Why did you find the ending unrealistic?  The cost of returning home would have been high, and living in England was obviously their dream.  They would presumably have access to better medical attention and drugs in Poplar.  And I didn't see anything strange in Joel being found a different job within the Post Office - the way he was depicted I'm sure he was hard-working, reliable, and non-whiny.

Because he's a minority immigrant in a former colonial power. 

• Love 1

Sigh. They might as well have named Annette Crosbie's character Dead Meat because I knew she was gonna go by the end of the episode. That said, I love that Lucille went to such lengths to care for her patient. I got a chortle out of the social services lady. No loose floorboards, what's the next obvious hiding place?

I quite like Dr. Turner's new receptionist (I guess she's not so new now). Back in the day the cliche was that the admins were really the ones making the business work but there's a reason those cliches came about. She's on top of everything!

I love Violet snarking she and Reggie would be safe in the shelter while Fred out with the civil defense in the case of nuclear war. Fred was kind of a butt to Violet this episode.

Can we find Tim something to do besides study?

• Love 6

I too loved the suffragette story, but I have a question. I got that the "packages" stuffed up the chimney flue were fecal matter but where they sanitary pads or something else? I was trying to figure out what that scene meant when the social worker used the poker to bring down a stack of the small white packages.  And I know, its fiction, but it struck me as strange that she would have rewritten her will sometime after Lucille and Sister MJ started visiting her. Or was she in the nursing home a bit longer than they showed? I know PBS is famous for cutting small parts of the episodes out.

I'm enjoyed the new office manager for the clinic, she's strict but in a good way. Violet running for office was great, hope she wins. Also love the relationship between her and Fred, that they have differences but work it out in the end. And loved Trixie's quip that Fred has the right not to vote, but then he shouldn't complain if say a communist candidate wins! That got him.

Lucille is becoming a great character, they still don't seem to know what to do with Valerie.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I knew early on that it was sickle cell disease. The father and son having joint pains was a dead giveaway. Ironic that a mild form of the disease was a positive trait to have in areas prone to malaria.

That was Annette Crosby? I haven’t seen her in ages. So sweet that that the lady left the little girl money.

Actually its not ironic that the sickle trait is protective against malaria, that's why it likely has persisted so long in the gene pool, having one copy of the gene is protective, but two copies causes sickle cell disease.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, willowk said:

Actually its not ironic that the sickle trait is protective against malaria, that's why it likely has persisted so long in the gene pool, having one copy of the gene is protective, but two copies causes sickle cell disease.

I meant ironic in the sense that it can be helpful and harmful.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

This was a great episode, IMO.  All the characters have depth and soul.  The suffragette broke my heart; her story of being force-fed was truly horrific.  btw, I can attest to her story of hunger going away after a time.  I really did have to laugh at the "poop-bombs".  The way the SS lady talked, this is a common thing!

• Love 5

I knew we were looking at sickle cell the moment Mom said "growing pains." I remember a friend and classmate of mine died from it in the 5th grade. He was constantly out of school with crisis after crisis.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, willowk said:

I too loved the suffragette story, but I have a question. I got that the "packages" stuffed up the chimney flue were fecal matter but where they sanitary pads or something else? 

I assume it was a toilet-paper wrapping. Hoarders had a woman like this -- too immobile and hemmed in to handle it properly.

Edited because spelling matters.

Edited by jschoolgirl
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:
2 hours ago, willowk said:

I too loved the suffragette story, but I have a question. I got that the "packages" stuffed up the chimney flue were fecal matter but where they sanitary pads or something else? 

I assume it was a toilet-paper wrapping. Hoarders had a woman like this -- too immobile and hemmed in to handle it properly.

I think it was just random pieces of paper. They were pretty solidly wrapped, and TP would have disintegrated. Of course, the show didn't go into where she was stashing her urine or paper waste (and just as well).

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, marceline said:

I knew we were looking at sickle cell the moment Mom said "growing pains." I remember a friend and classmate of mine died from it in the 5th grade. He was constantly out of school with crisis after crisis.

I was surprised by her calling them growing pains. The pain from sickle cell anemia is excruciating. I would think his mother would figure out that there was something seriously wrong.

10 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I guess I saw something different than others did.   I didn't think it was noble or dignified to keep the old lady in her filthy home where she couldn't manage the most basic care for herself.   Just because she was once a "somebody" doesn't change what she needs now.   Most dear souls in nursing homes were once "somebodies" but their care needs have grown too great.   The nurse barring the door was ridiculous.   And Sister MJ... don't get me started.   She could use a nursing home herself.  Her pontificating just made me mute my TV.

And, I do get it that the objection was to her being forcibly removed. But come on, the woman was throwing her feces at people like a deranged animal. 

They were not trying to keep her in the filthy home. They were wanting to prevent the police from removing her by force. Allowing her to leave on her own accord permitted her to maintain her dignity. She walked out composed, dressed, wearing her medal.

She was still of sound mind basically, and needed to take control and make the decision to come out on her own. Someone truly in the hold of full blown dementia wouldn't have been wrapping her waste in neat little packages and shoving them up the chimney. Trust me, I've seen total dementia. There is nothing neat and tidy about it.

The hoarding was brought on by having nothing at earlier times in her life. It got the better of her because of health issues.

• Love 16

I knew the actress playing the hoarder - and suffragette and ambulance driver - was familiar and finally remembered her playing the wife of a man  who had just retired - either voluntarily or not - but could not remember the name of the series.  I found the series name and, when I saw Annette Crosbie's name I remembered her from The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

Because he's a minority immigrant in a former colonial power

Bingo! I'm not English but Dad was. He always refered to the country of his birth as a third world hell hole and he was born in the East End in 1944 and lived there until 1959 or 1960. I won't say that ALL of my English relatives were racist but yes, a lot of the older ones were openly racist. Call the Midwife tends to tone down the racism except for the occasional episode but it was there. To use a complete different example, there was a British show called The Tomorrow People that aired from 1971 to 1979 and in one episode, season 2, so 1972, the young female black woman was attacked by some of her white students because she was black and in London and it was depicted as "just the sort of thing that happens to black people in London".  This guy might have a great, not racist boss, but he still has every reason to worry that he'll lose his job because he's black and sick in a country where the people who hold the power are white. 

12 hours ago, debraran said:

I love Sr Monica Joan's remarks and I liked how they are showing less dementia and more of her caring and wit. I liked how she worked with Lucille each bringing something of their own to the table. The ending was sad but heartwarming also.

Yes, this is the OTHER Sister Monica Joan plot - where despite the dementia etc, she's wise and witty and her insight leads one of the young midwives to have a deep thoughtful revelation. Until next week where the dementia switch gets flipped back on and she does something dangerous. Again. 

5 hours ago, willowk said:

Lucille is becoming a great character, they still don't seem to know what to do with Valerie.

Lucille is a bit too perfect and overly sweet for me. Valerie needs something to do, and so does Tim Turner. I'd actually like to see Tim maybe have the revelation that there's more to life than being a doctor, but I doubt it will happen.

• Love 7
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Bingo! I'm not English but Dad was. He always refered to the country of his birth as a third world hell hole and he was born in the East End in 1944 and lived there until 1959 or 1960. I won't say that ALL of my English relatives were racist but yes, a lot of the older ones were openly racist. Call the Midwife tends to tone down the racism except for the occasional episode but it was there. To use a complete different example, there was a British show called The Tomorrow People that aired from 1971 to 1979 and in one episode, season 2, so 1972, the young female black woman was attacked by some of her white students because she was black and in London and it was depicted as "just the sort of thing that happens to black people in London".  This guy might have a great, not racist boss, but he still has every reason to worry that he'll lose his job because he's black and sick in a country where the people who hold the power are white. 

Yes, this is the OTHER Sister Monica Joan plot - where despite the dementia etc, she's wise and witty and her insight leads one of the young midwives to have a deep thoughtful revelation. Until next week where the dementia switch gets flipped back on and she does something dangerous. Again. 

Lucille is a bit too perfect and overly sweet for me. Valerie needs something to do, and so does Tim Turner. I'd actually like to see Tim maybe have the revelation that there's more to life than being a doctor, but I doubt it will happen.

England in some parts aren't very liberal now with immigrants or others that were born there. I'm glad it shows the better side of many but I'm sure if believable it will touch on more racism as the show goes on.

Sr Monica Joan had many touching scenes, even in her dementia. I loved how Sr. Julianne said in past show, they would help her tired memory when it happened again, she shouldn't worry. When she helped Nurse Crane by going with her when she was afraid to deliver another baby, telling her "you just need directions to get there" to save her from feeling ashamed, washing Sr Cynthia, when she wanted to be alone from others, that scene spoke so much without words, even understanding the hoarder in this show with a quiet dignity. The first time I fell in love with her character is when she sent Jenny a cake and a piece was missing. 😊

Edited by debraran
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

It's ridiculous!  To go from completely irrational to all-knowing wise and back again is just tiresome.  To show her having good days and bad days is one thing, but she seems to be transformed into a different person as needed for the plot.  I don't buy it.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Suzn said:

It's ridiculous!  To go from completely irrational to all-knowing wise and back again is just tiresome.  To show her having good days and bad days is one thing, but she seems to be transformed into a different person as needed for the plot.  I don't buy it.

It is. For all I agree with @debraran that there are some genuinely sweet depictions of SMJ's dementia, sweet and touching, there's also the awkward reality that her dementia portrayal just isn't accurate, either in her symptoms or in how others react to her. She can't be trusted to not run off, she periodically does run off and gets sick and nearly dies, she sometimes steals, she's endangered the lives of patients with her inability to relay messages or remember what she's told.... and these things come and go as needed for the plot. There's no unpleasant or difficult to smile thru dementia symptoms. She's not peeing herself or forgetting to wash, or brush her teeth. She's not slapping people who disagree with her, or throwing things or breaking things or cursing, or soiling herself. She's having a very tv presentable case of dementia and the fact that her symptoms now are exactly like they were seven years ago is irritating. God knows I don't want the actress off the show, but it's becoming ridiculous that Sister Monica Joan is the only person who's dementia never progresses. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Rap541 said:

I've been saying for years that I want Tim to have a story where he brings a classmate of his to the Nonnatans or his father because she's pregnant. It's a story that writes itself. For all the new characters we've been introduced to over the years, it's kind of amazing to realize how irrelevant this core, legacy character has become.

• Love 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, CleverUserName975 said:

Can we find Tim something to do besides study?

Agreed. I would love to see Tim do something minor league stupid in attempt to get Beatles tickets to impress a girl. 

1 hour ago, marceline said:

I've been saying for years that I want Tim to have a story where he brings a classmate of his to the Nonnatans or his father because she's pregnant. It's a story that writes itself. For all the new characters we've been introduced to over the years, it's kind of amazing to realize how irrelevant this core, legacy character has become.

I've thought it would be great to do a varation of this story. There's a girl who knows Tim's father is a doctor, and thinks Tim must have access to all sorts of medical books. She thinks she might be pregnant so she asks him. She's too afraid to get a test or go for an appointment herself. Tim starts going through medical books and asking the Nonnatans suspicious questions. They start to suspect that Tim's gotten a girl in trouble. It turns out they are wrong. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8
(edited)
59 minutes ago, marceline said:

For all the new characters we've been introduced to over the years, it's kind of amazing to realize how irrelevant this core, legacy character has become. 

In fairness, I figure the only reason he still appears in nearly every episode is because he's been around since the beginning.  Otherwise, he really makes more sense as recurring character who we occasionally check in on through his relationship with Shelagh and Dr. Turner.

2 hours ago, Rap541 said:

God knows I don't want the actress off the show, but it's becoming ridiculous that Sister Monica Joan is the only person who's dementia never progresses. 

I think her condition has actually improved as the series has gone on.  During the first season, even answering the phone was too much for her, and now she's basically a wise elderly sage with occasional memory issues. 

I could have done without knowing that the hoarder was stashing her bowel movements or seeing a close up of her leg wound.  However, I do appreciate the show immediately killed her off within a day of leaving Polar so we never have to discuss such things again. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2

Does anyone in the UK or who "flew to England" know if something was cut out re: Lucille not voting initially.  Or maybe I was just not paying attention...

Because when they asked who was voting for Violet she didn't raise her hand and later Trixie told Fred if  he wasn't going to vote he could 'hold down the fort' with Lucille. Then it was like a big entrance when she showed up at the polling place.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, MeloraH said:

Does anyone in the UK or who "flew to England" know if something was cut out re: Lucille not voting initially.  Or maybe I was just not paying attention...

Because when they asked who was voting for Violet she didn't raise her hand and later Trixie told Fred if  he wasn't going to vote he could 'hold down the fort' with Lucille. Then it was like a big entrance when she showed up at the polling place.

I watch the original BBC  airing, but I don't watch the PBS to know what's edited out.

It sounds like PBS cut a scene of Trixie, Lucille & Val hanging out in Trixie & Val's room.  Lucille said she didn't feel she had lived in the district long enough to have the right to vote (legally, she was fine, just how she felt).  Val and Trixie reassured her, & Val even said basically, "Remember Mrs. Buckle's speech…she said ALL of us were Poplar: new, old and in-between."  Not the direct quote, but you get the gist. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 8
On 4/7/2019 at 6:26 PM, jschoolgirl said:

Does Joel's post-graduate qualification mean a graduate degree following college, or a certificate, perhaps in business or accounting, following high school?

It's basically equivalent to a master's.

• Love 4
(edited)

I was googling the edits that PBS does to fit it in the slot and sometimes it seems like they weren't "filler" parts. One fan said a conversation with Chummy and Sr Evangelina about fitting in and her fears were cut out and that helps you understand them better. Another was upset that scenes with Pasty and Delia were cut out here.

I wonder if there was a short scene where the will was discussed or they were talking about it or you see her writing it.  Or maybe I just missed it.

I usually don't like to buy DVD's nowadays but maybe if my library gets them, I'll see what I missed. ; )

Edited by debraran
1 hour ago, debraran said:

I was googling the edits that PBS does to fit it in the slot and sometimes it seems like they weren't "filler" parts. One fan said a conversation with Chummy and Sr Evangelina about fitting in and her fears were cut out and that helps you understand them better. Another was upset that scenes with Pasty and Delia were cut out here.

I wonder if there was a short scene where the will was discussed or they were talking about it or you see her writing it.  Or maybe I just missed it.

I usually don't like to buy DVD's nowadays but maybe if my library gets them, I'll see what I missed. ; )

IIRC from the original BBC UK broadcast, I think that the first we knew of the will was after the woman had died. 

It could be that part of the process of admitting her to the care home involved getting all paperwork up to date, including wills. But we didn’t see it on screen. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ceindreadh said:

It could be that part of the process of admitting her to the care home involved getting all paperwork up to date, including wills.

Which makes sense but did she have a wad of cash handy to stick in the book?  Or maybe she'd already have done that knowing that she was declining.  Guess we'll never know.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Which makes sense but did she have a wad of cash handy to stick in the book?  Or maybe she'd already have done that knowing that she was declining.  Guess we'll never know.

There wasn't a will scene.  I figured the woman lived on very little and kept her cash under her mattress (or some other on-site location).  Plus, she always had a tenner ready when the little girl delivered groceries.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

One of my great-aunts lived alone until her late 80s. She’d get her pension in cash every week and spend what she needed. Any notes left over, she’d secrete around the house.  

When she finally left and my parents were clearing out the house, they found a few hundred pounds hidden among her belongings. 

I can well believe that a little old lady accumulated that much cash and kept it handy in a book!

• Love 7
18 hours ago, babs j. said:

I knew the actress playing the hoarder - and suffragette and ambulance driver - was familiar and finally remembered her playing the wife of a man  who had just retired - either voluntarily or not - but could not remember the name of the series.  I found the series name and, when I saw Annette Crosbie's name I remembered her from The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

The show is One Foot in the Grave, and it's brilliant. Laugh out loud funny, and at times, very dark as well. The ending of the series was particularly brilliant, which was in part due to Annette Crosby and her acting abilities.