Type keyword(s) to search

Dirty John, The Dirty Truth (on Oxygen)

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

A companion to Bravo’s scripted anthology, "Dirty John, The Dirty Truth" goes beyond the articles and podcasts made famous by Los Angeles Times reporter Christopher Goffard, and traces con-man John Meehan’s trail of manipulation that started long before he met Debra Newell.

https://www.oxygen.com/dirty-john-the-dirty-truth

Airs Monday, January 14th at 8pm Eastern/7pm Central.

ETA: With a last minute sneak preview Sunday after the Dirty John finale.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

How long are they going to milk this?

Writers, producers, etc: As long as they get decent ratings. 

Debra and Terra  as long as anyone will listen/watch/attend events they are at.  Because they love the fame.

John’s ex wife and daughters - who knows. 

Jacqueline, her other two siblings, Shad( and his unmentioned sibling)- they are done with it all. 

• Love 5

There is no way in hell that his marriage to Tonia was so normal and uneventful.  John, and people like him, are incapable of controlling themselves for very long and certainly not only keeping it together in select places.   

• Love 6
22 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

I watched on DVR so missed it. Will it be shown again?

My online guide says it will be repeated tomorrow (Tuesday, 1/15) at 11:00 p.m. [ET] and Friday (1/18) at 9:00 p.m. [ET].

(And it looks like a few more times as well, but those are the next two immediate replays.)

Edited by CaliCheeseSucks
  • Love 1

I've only watched bits here and there so far, but Debra comes across as much more intelligent than she did on the podcast, although she displays a rather flat affect emotionally.  I will say this is one of the few times I've noticed that the real life person is as attractive as the actor that portrays them. 

• Love 5

I didn't watch the show or listen to the podcast but I did see the commercials for the Connie Britton version so I was curious. I watched last night. Geez, I don't want to victim blame but it's amazing how much idiotic stuff Debra did. And how many red flags she just totally ignored. And then to go back to him when he gave her a sob story about how he had been framed??

• Love 12

There is a picture of John (shirtless?) they keep showing on all the real Dirty John shows and the background of that pic gives me major pause.....he is supposed to be a Doctor but he looks like he is in his very very unkempt camper.  There is a set of kitchen knives on a shelf in the 'living room' and very hodge podge worn furniture, stuff everywhere....if this was posted on his dating site, I would totally question why he would be in a room like that if he were so successful.  I didn't listen to the podcast but had seen the Dateline episode.  I thought this particular show was very informative and I was kind of amazed at how handsome he was in some of his past pictures, how unattractive he looked in some and how downright crazy he looked in a couple.         

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, AnnieHeights said:

There is a picture of John (shirtless?) they keep showing on all the real Dirty John shows and the background of that pic gives me major pause.....he is supposed to be a Doctor but he looks like he is in his very very unkempt camper.  There is a set of kitchen knives on a shelf in the 'living room' and very hodge podge worn furniture, stuff everywhere....if this was posted on his dating site, I would totally question why he would be in a room like that if he were so successful.  I didn't listen to the podcast but had seen the Dateline episode.  I thought this particular show was very informative and I was kind of amazed at how handsome he was in some of his past pictures, how unattractive he looked in some and how downright crazy he looked in a couple.         

I do online dating, and the background in the pictures is something I definitely pay attention to.  Sure, the could always say it was taken at someone else’s house, but still, the details matter.  Shirtless photos are an automatic “Pass” for me, as I find them to be just....gross.  But that shirtless photo with that filthy background?  And yes, I, too, noticed the set of knives.  Ugh. 

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 15

After watching this, I give Connie Britton and the two other actresses props for getting the intonations of the Newell's voices.  They were spot on.  Yeah.  Annoying.

It seems that Terra is coming to grips with what she went through and understands she has PTSD.  Debra seems like she's still in denial as she defends her actions.

I thought the documentary was very interesting.

• Love 17
23 hours ago, AnnieHeights said:

That cramped room, the quality of furntiure, the icebox and knives right by the sofa, the clutter & disarray in the apparent apartment, studio, rv just screamed successful doctor.

I never did online dating. But man I was surprised at how the red flags were ignored by so many of the women. 

Why would you even agree to transfer 12 million dollars internationally into someone's account without due diligence?  Why would you let a complete stranger pick you up at your house the first time? In 2014 why wouldn't you do an online search on him maybe pay the extra money to get the extra info. 

Correction: She transferred all of her money. $37 million.

Edited by Giselle
Correction
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Giselle said:

That cramped room, the quality of furntiure, the icebox and knives right by the sofa, the clutter & disarray in the apparent apartment, studio, rv just screamed successful doctor.

I never did online dating. But man I was surprised at how the red flags were ignored by so many of the wonen. 

Why would you even agree to transfer 12 million dollars internationally into someone's account without due diligence?  Why would you let a complete stranger pick you up at your house the first time? In 2014 why wouldn't you do an online search on him maybe pay the extra money to get the extra info. 

It was 37 million dollars!!!  Can you believe that???

I've done an absolute ton of online dating.  I've literally met hundreds of men, maybe around 300, in the years I've online dated (since 1999!).  Never, not once, have I given my last name or address to a guy.  I barely even give the area where I live; I just give it as a general area (like saying "west of town").  So yeah, from the word Go, she literally invited him in.

I've had a lot of great relationships with guys I've met online, and I've made some nice friends, but there are John Meehan's everywhere.  It's intoxicating to hear a tall, handsome professional man tell you how wonderful you are....it's happened to me.  But when they make a romantic mix tape for you for your 3rd date and profess their love for you (happened to me), you say buh bye.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, Sterling said:

I've done an absolute ton of online dating.  I've literally met hundreds of men, maybe around 300, in the years I've online dated (since 1999!).  Never, not once, have I given my last name or address to a guy.  I barely even give the area where I live; I just give it as a general area (like saying "west of town").  So yeah, from the word Go, she literally invited him in.

I've had a lot of great relationships with guys I've met online, and I've made some nice friends, but there are John Meehan's everywhere.  It's intoxicating to hear a tall, handsome professional man tell you how wonderful you are....it's happened to me.  But when they make a romantic mix tape for you for your 3rd date and profess their love for you (happened to me), you say buh bye.

You're right. They showed a freeze frame shot of the $37 million being withdrawn, then another showing the destination to his Chase-JP Morgan account. Last they showed a freeze frame of a transfer/stop transfer slip(?) in Portuguese (?) that showed a figure of about half of her $37 million, $16,847,000.-, so I assumed she only transferred half at the time. It might have been two separate transfers. Still she was so, so stupid.

Because I took care of my mom for many years I had hardly done any dating. Too busy, too much responsibility caregiving. Later, after she died, I figured if a relationship happened it would have to just happen. I wasn't gonna be desperate for one, I was going to make a full life for myself regardless.

I knew my husband for 7 months before we started dating, we participated in a sport here and there, and still for the first few dates I met him some place other than my home. I looked him up on line (didn't pay, no red flags), watched his interactions with people & family, watch how he handled himself & his finances, especially how he handled frustration. He did the same to some extent. I can't understand someone just jumping in with both feet.

I'll reserve more of my sympathy for his first wife, the girlfriend who went to Mexico, and Debra's daughters. Not for Debra and the South American author. So, so stupid.

A mix tape... Awwwww.

Edited by Giselle
Corrections
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I seem to recall from the podcast that one of the things that caused a daughter to be suspicious of “Dr” DJ was his nasty dirty fingernails. 

I heard this too but on the special Ronnie/Jacqueline said it was John's old ripped scrubs that caused her suspicions.  It's funny they didn't bring that up on the series. I could see Ronnie interjecting "But Mom, he has dirty fingernails (or scrubs)" any time she could when talking about John. 

I think they got the perfect actress to portray Tonia. IMO, they could have been twins.  I got chills when the real Tonia was explaining she had to get the girls at a minutes notice & go into hiding with them when she was told John was back in town & could take them hostage.  Unlike Debra, Tonia realized right away that her & John's marriage was a lie & she did everything she could to protect her daughters. 

ETA:  When Debra was told by the PI of John's conman ways, prison history, things to do to hide from him,  etc., her response was something like "I've got to go, John is picking me up."  Unbelievable. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 7
34 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I heard this too but on the special Ronnie/Jacqueline said it was John's old ripped scrubs that caused her suspicions.  It's funny they didn't bring that up on the series. I could see Ronnie interjecting "But Mom, he has dirty fingernails (or scrubs)" any time she could when talking about John. 

I think they got the perfect actress to portray Tonia. IMO, they could have been twins.  I got chills when the real Tonia was explaining she had to get the girls at a minutes notice & go into hiding with them when she was told John was back in town & could take them hostage.  Unlike Debra, Tonia realized right away that her & John's marriage was a lie & she did everything she could to protect her daughters. 

Credit also has to be given the the woman who allowed herself to be named in the warrant to search his place for drugs. 

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Giselle said:

You're right. They showed a freeze frame shot of the $37 million being withdrawn, then another showing the destination to his Chase-JP Morgan account. Last they showed a freeze frame of a transfer/stop transfer slip(?) in Portuguese (?) that showed a figure of about half of her $37 million, $16,847,000.-, so I assumed she only transferred half at the time. It might have been two separate transfers. Still she was so, so stupid.

Because I took care of my mom for many years I had hardly done any dating. Too busy, too much responsibility caregiving. Later, after she died, I figured if a relationship happened it would have to just happen. I wasn't gonna be desperate for one, I was going to make a full life for myself regardless.

I knew my husband for 7 months before we started dating, we participated in a sport here and there, and still for the first few dates I met him some place other than my home. I looked him up on line (didn't pay, no red flags), watched his interactions with people & family, watch how he handled himself & his finances, especially how he handled frustration. He did the same to some extent. I can't understand someone just jumping in with both feet.

I'll reserve more of my sympathy for his first wife, the girlfriend who went to Mexico, and Debra's daughters. Not for Debra and the South American author. So, so stupid.

A mix tape... Awwwww.

Yeah, that was amazingly stupid and she is lucky that she had a friend looking out for her but I am going to give her a pass because she just had brain surgery! Debra just ignored red flag after red flag. And I am not a parent but if I was I would hope that I would immediately break up with someone who insisted that I choose between my child and them!

• Love 7

This documentary solidified the actual timeline and events for me, so I am most appreciative.  It's very telling though that Debra's only child willing to be shown (in light) was Terra and that Jacqueline participated but would not be shown.  They are still recovering from the horror of John.  I wish them all well and that they are able to lead happy and fulfilling lives.  What a nightmare!

• Love 14
5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

This documentary solidified the actual timeline and events for me, so I am most appreciative.  It's very telling though that Debra's only child willing to be shown (in light) was Terra and that Jacqueline participated but would not be shown.  They are still recovering from the horror of John.  I wish them all well and that they are able to lead happy and fulfilling lives.  What a nightmare!

It straightened out the time line for me too. Terra allowing herself to being shown is part of her therapy.  I'm ok with that. Confronting it, not hiding, talking about it enough so that the grip it has on her life might be lessened even just a bit, and gain strength and hopefully some peace. As for her other family members it sounds like they have kids to protect and prefer to remain hidden. Jacqueline seems ready to leave this limelight as quick as possible.

Debra, I don't know about her. Yes she is a victim, but even still, some of her statements just seem odd and crazy. 

If I was her and was looking at the marriage photo. I sure as shit wouldn't be wondering if the asshole that tried to kill my daughter and put us through hell was happy in that moment. 

• Love 12
On 1/13/2019 at 8:50 PM, mythoughtis said:

Writers, producers, etc: As long as they get decent ratings. 

Debra and Terra  as long as anyone will listen/watch/attend events they are at.  Because they love the fame.

John’s ex wife and daughters - who knows. 

Jacqueline, her other two siblings, Shad( and his unmentioned sibling)- they are done with it all. 

Terra is quite something else with the over the top plumped up lips and eye makeup.  Also tries to sound like Marilyn Monroe.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, cameron said:

Terra is quite something else with the over the top plumped up lips and eye makeup.  Also tries to sound like Marilyn Monroe.

Terra and Debra both look like they've packed on some pounds since their 'ordeal' ended.

• Love 1
On 1/17/2019 at 6:32 AM, Giselle said:

It straightened out the time line for me too. Terra allowing herself to being shown is part of her therapy.  I'm ok with that. Confronting it, not hiding, talking about it enough so that the grip it has on her life might be lessened even just a bit, and gain strength and hopefully some peace. As for her other family members it sounds like they have kids to protect and prefer to remain hidden. Jacqueline seems ready to leave this limelight as quick as possible.

Debra, I don't know about her. Yes she is a victim, but even still, some of her statements just seem odd and crazy. 

If I was her and was looking at the marriage photo. I sure as shit wouldn't be wondering if the asshole that tried to kill my daughter and put us through hell was happy in that moment. 

I totally agree with you, Giselle. I really have so much sympathy for Terra and wish her the best. 

Debra though - as my mother would say, she's something else entirely.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, cameron said:

She and her mother both have a "different" voice, high, light, & sing-song-ish. Jacqueline has that awful vocal fry.

• Love 2

Is Terra... normal? I feel like the internet has been very gentle with her because of what she went through (totally understandable), but I can't get past her bizarre affect. She seems impaired, either developmentally or chemically. Her speech is slurred and her intonation is dull, almost like someone with hearing loss. The way she forces out lines like "I'm nottaVIC-tim. I'masssurVI-vor" is just not normal. I wonder if she's always been like this, or if she sustained a brain injury in the attack, or is on a ton of sedatives, or who knows what else.

• Love 11
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:02 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Is Terra... normal?

IIRC, on the podcast she is described as very shy, the child who was raised by nannies while Debra was a working mom.   I'm reluctant to be too snarky about her for the reasons you describe, but I find it odd that a woman like Debra who was making plenty of cash was OK with one of her children living in a cheap apartment working as a dog groomer.   I also have a hard time reconciling the image of Debra as a successful business woman with the Debra who calmly says "My lawyer told me I should hire a bodyguard...(pause)... but I didn't."

• Love 2
4 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

I thought it was nice that Terra wanted to work and was doing something she enjoyed. I just don't think being shy and raised by nannies quite explains her... situation. 

Nope. I too wondered what was up with her. The way she explained and expressed herself, her manner. She didn't seem all that intelligent nor on the ball. She seemed more far more childlike and not adult.

I agree. Nannies, being shy, being attacked does not explain it. 

Still, I wish her well.

• Love 8
On 1/15/2019 at 12:16 PM, geekgirl921 said:

I didn't watch the show or listen to the podcast but I did see the commercials for the Connie Britton version so I was curious. I watched last night. Geez, I don't want to victim blame but it's amazing how much idiotic stuff Debra did. And how many red flags she just totally ignored. And then to go back to him when he gave her a sob story about how he had been framed??

But in the end we do victim blame.  I didn’t watch either the podcast or the show but I found the 2 hour special interesting.  There was a psychiatrist who made a point to say people in an abusive relationship go back an average of seven times.   John took advantage of every single one of Debra’s insecurities. When that stopped working he went after one of her daughters to prove a point.  

I actually liked the part where the first wife said she knew this would all end like this but she never thought it would end with some hundred pound girl taking him out (Paraphrasing a lot)

Also what kind of psycho puts a hit on a cop?

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5
On 1/16/2019 at 6:38 AM, Sterling said:

A little off topic, but I was recently communicating online with someone, we'd been talking for a couple of weeks but had never met in person.  When he sends me a love poem.  All kinds of nope.  Couldn't end that chat quickly enough.

• Love 10

@TexasGal 

Good move.  That would turn me off so fast I couldn't get rid of him fast enough- if I just thought he was nice, didn't say anything weird yet, has good grammar, and things on that level.  HOWEVER, if he were someone who I clicked with right away, I really liked and who checked a lot of my boxes, even I might think that was the sweetest thing-ever!!!

In 2007-2008 I did eHarmony and Match so I know how the online dating world is.  Btw, I didn't find my soulmate or match. Lol!!  I'm going to be going back online once I get a M-F with daylight hours job and get a few other things in order.  I'm a nurse and work different shifts at a job I intensely dislike.  If I had normal hours that would be one less thing to worry about or so I think.  HA!!  

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:36 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

IIRC, on the podcast she is described as very shy, the child who was raised by nannies while Debra was a working mom.   I'm reluctant to be too snarky about her for the reasons you describe, but I find it odd that a woman like Debra who was making plenty of cash was OK with one of her children living in a cheap apartment working as a dog groomer.   I also have a hard time reconciling the image of Debra as a successful business woman with the Debra who calmly says "My lawyer told me I should hire a bodyguard...(pause)... but I didn't."

I am pretty sure I know where Terra was living at the time of the attack - not a bad area and not really cheap.  Probably $1800-2300 for a one bedroom. 

• Love 2

I did not mean to imply that Debra should have been subsidizing Terra, but there was a pretty big disparity between Debra's affluent lifestyle and Terra's working-class one.   Under those circumstances I think most mothers would try to help their children out.  I know that that part of their relationship was not the point of the show, but I found it odd.

• Love 1

Well, whatever limitations she may or many not have, this woman was tough and quick thinking when it counted.  She even had the presence of mind to get him in the eye to penetrate his brain!

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 8
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, Thisgirllovespasta said:

I follow Terra on instagram and she looks great!

Is she still working with dogs?  I love her dog Cash.
I found the doc very interesting too. After watching I now want to watch the series again just to compare. I've even gotten a little obsessed with it and trying to listen to other different podcasts about the series or real life case.

Netflix is supposed to have the series out today. But I don't see it there yet. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Valny said:

Is she still working with dogs?  I love her dog Cash.
I found the doc very interesting too. After watching I now want to watch the series again just to compare. I've even gotten a little obsessed with it and trying to listen to other different podcasts about the series or real life case.

Netflix is supposed to have the series out today. But I don't see it there yet. 

She is doing  blog now. She is super sweet.

Here insta is: https://www.instagram.com/terranewell

and she has one for cash

https://www.instagram.com/cashmoneythepuppy

(edited)
On 1/19/2019 at 8:02 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Is Terra... normal? I feel like the internet has been very gentle with her because of what she went through (totally understandable), but I can't get past her bizarre affect. She seems impaired, either developmentally or chemically. Her speech is slurred and her intonation is dull, almost like someone with hearing loss. The way she forces out lines like "I'm nottaVIC-tim. I'masssurVI-vor" is just not normal. I wonder if she's always been like this, or if she sustained a brain injury in the attack, or is on a ton of sedatives, or who knows what else.

I found this thread to see if there was any information on this. I do feel for this young lady. (Terra) My goodness, what an ordeal.  I could only imagine the terror of being attacked with a knife. (One of my worst fears.)  But, I was curious as to what her situation was.  Her vocals seemed odd and I wondered if she did sustain some kind of trauma that caused speech delay or something  Also, it seems like I saw another interview with these same people before and she spoke that way too.  It's great if she is doing well.  Her bravery and strength should be applauded. 

Ref. Tonia.  (John's first wife.)  I didn't see the entire show, but, from what I did see, it seemed odd how she seemed to be so distraught over the breakup of their marriage....still. To me, it seemed like she loved that marriage so much that she was still hurt and wanting it back.  I mean, knowing what she knows and how he abandoned the family and has been dead now for awhile, wouldn't the love for him have dissipated by now?  Would you still love a psycho who hurt you and your children?  To me it seemed that she still loves him and to me, that's disrespectful to the other victims.  Does she not realize that he's not who she thought he was and the fact she keeps asking why implies that she doesn't get it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
On 1/17/2019 at 7:32 AM, Giselle said:

I know. I think it's a way for her to somehow see it as a proof that at some stage he really loved her and was happy with her. But yes, it's weird.

• Love 3

I found this show really interesting, after watching the show with Connie Britton and listening to the podcast. 

I found Terra very likeable, although a bit different. What they never mentioned was her obsession with zombies, and how watching zombie shows and movies are what made her stab him in the eye. I think she talked about it in the podcast. The juxtaposition between this shy, sweet animal lover, and the girl who killed him like he was a zombie was mind blowing. It definitely falls into the "you can't make this stuff up" territory. 

I actually found Debra quite sane and self-aware. She knows she behaved stupidly in a lot of ways, and admits she often let her heart overrule her head, like when she admits she knew she shouldn't get married so fast, but still did it. She says flat out that she almost caused her daughter's death through her bad choices. 

I was surprised they never mentioned all her other marriages. She did seem to have a pattern of making bad choices, romantically. 

But as an earlier poster said, we shouldn't victim-blame. None of these women were evil or malicious or in any way deserved to have their lives threatened or ruined by this awful man. It's rare that you see universal agreement that it's good someone is dead, but in this case I totally understand it. 

• Love 1