Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Popples said:

I just saw a commercial for this during reruns of season 4 Halloween Baking Championship and it seems that Carla Hall will be the third judge. I never really warmed up to Lorraine, but I did like Cardea last season.

I would prefer Kardea over Carla. I like Lorraine but I’m sure travel restrictions prevented her from returning again. Are we getting stuck with Nancy again? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

It sounds like the Adam from Best Baker in America.  But if so that's strange because he won that show and has been a guest judge on at least one other baking show because of it.  

Different Adams, but they do sound similar.

• Love 1

Not a spoiler since the episode is still airing on FN……

When Nancy ate the donut with the peppermint extract and said she had very fresh breath, then she turned to Duff, opened her yapper as wide as she could and then let out a huge, forceful breath, I wanted to slap her. Even if we weren’t in the age of COVID, that was just rude and childish. Seriously, I would have clocked her. 

Carla looks so lovely this episode.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 22

Yeah, if Adam isn't doing voice-over work on the side, he should consider it.

I like these kinds of challenges, where there's a clear directive, but it's open-ended enough to allow for a lot of variety and creativity. I was kind of blown away by all the different kinds of things they came up with in both challenges, even if they weren't all totally successful. Very inventive.

Enjoyed Jesse's way of starting the challenges, and this exchange:

"Fried cheese?" "Yeah." "Save me one."

Still too many people to really sort through, but they seem like a jovial, pleasant bunch. Should be a fun season!

6 hours ago, GaT said:

Why is Nancy channeling Doris Day?

Hollywood-Hair-Five-1960s-Hairstyles-to-

In the spirit of Doris Day, from Calamity Jane, "I could do without (Nancy Fuller)." Nacy just seems like she's trying way too hard to look cute or hip or fresh or . . . I don't know. She just irritates me with all of her silly mannerisms, and the new hairstyle doesn't help matters.

That off my chest, I think the end result of the first episode was appropriate, the bake was just not up to par. And I also thought one contestant had disappeared between the first and second bakes, the cameras were so focused on a few bakers. I'll wait until the field has thinned out to choose a favorite, most personas don't irk me (yet).

• Love 7

I like Nancy's new haircut. I think it is cute on her. I did not like Nancy's "this isn't holiday" to the lady who did the s'mores donut and the other donut. I couldn't figure out what was not holiday about them. Maybe too brown? That's always an ongoing issue with this show.  

• Love 17
4 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I like Nancy's new haircut. I think it is cute on her. I did not like Nancy's "this isn't holiday" to the lady who did the s'mores donut and the other donut. I couldn't figure out what was not holiday about them. Maybe too brown? That's always an ongoing issue with this show.  

That was Jennifer (sue me, I tend to zero in on the cute ones lol). Her other donut had eggnog flavor and green/red sprinkles, so I don't know why it wasn't "holiday". But admittedly it wasn't the neatest looking donut in the world, so maybe Nancy just meant it wasn't fitting for the Holiday Baking Championship.

I was afraid she was going to ding the palm tree decoration as not holiday enough, but fortunately she was sensitive/aware enough to realize that not everyone is surrounded by evergreen trees.

Here we go again.  I roll my eyes every time Nancy says something isn't holiday.  If she keeps it up, one of these days, they're gonna get stuck like that.

Oh, and, I'm starting to think she should start judging the Halloween Baking Championship instead of this. Some of the looks she gave the contestants were downright scary!

Edited by Rammchick
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

We're off to a good start I think.  So far, I don't dislike anyone.  I don't have names straight yet but I especially liked the big bald guy.  I think his name may be Phillipe although that doesn't seem to go with his appearance.  I also like the dad from Vermont and Marilyn (whose name stuck LOL).  

I can't stand Nancy Fuller but I did like her haircut.

I didn't understand how the gal who used pre-made puff pastry and then undercooked both it and her apples got to stay over the two eliminated.  

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, mlp said:

I didn't understand how the gal who used pre-made puff pastry and then undercooked both it and her apples got to stay over the two eliminated.  

She didn't. Shayla, who used pre-made puff pastry and undercooked it and the apples, was eliminated, along with Grace of the egregious pine nuts. Naomi, whose worst crime seemed to be a too-dense cake, was the one who stayed. (Full disclosure, I checked the FN website to be sure of the names, but the undercooked lady definitely went home.)

Edited by tracyscott76

Unpopular opinion here, but I like Nancy.  I agree with the "not holiday" sentiment because a plain-ish dessert does not say Holiday.  The minute Jennifer (I think that's her name) splattered green and red icing on her doughnut, I knew she was in trouble.  A bit too Jackson Pollock messy and you can't BS your way out of that one -- not that she tried, but I'm just saying, it looked pretty amateurish and some do try to explain away "oh, I meant for it to look rustic" when it's really just a hot mess.  I liked Philippe and Adam's bakes the most last night.  Great to see the show back.  Carla is funny and quick and not as wound up as she is on some other competition shows.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 13

2 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Shayla, who used pre-made puff pastry and undercooked it and the apples, was eliminated, along with Grace of the egregious pine nuts.

I thought the one left standing was the one who underbaked.  In that case, the two I thought deserved to go did.  Thanks for the correction.

I thought the unbaked puff pastry looked disgusting, and I absolutely agree that Shayla should go home.   Grace was another good choice to go home.   

I really enjoyed getting to see all of the candidates.  

I wonder if they're going to bring in a couple of people from previous shows on this edition also, the way Renee was brought back on Halloween Baking Championship ? 

• Love 2

I really liked Shayla from the start but as soon as she pulled those pastries out of the oven it was clear she was going home, unless someone else sent up completely raw dough or something.

I was amused that Jose had his cheese stolen and not only out baked Adam, he out baked everyone.  Not all apple dishes need gloppy whole apples, and I appreciate that he made a compote, even if in the drawing it looked like pastry with teeth filling.

The transition from fall to winter that the first challenge was to invoke happens for only about half the country, and also for about half the contestants which is funny. 

• Love 5

I'm liking Philippe, Jody, Richard and Sabrina. So funny when Jody asked Jesse if he wrote the jokes himself. Marilyn seems like a great baker but I think her personality will become annoying. The donuts all sounded good tasting and the apple/cheese desserts were creative.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Unpopular opinion here, but I like Nancy.  I agree with the "not holiday" sentiment because a plain-ish dessert does not say Holiday.  The minute Jennifer (I think that's her name) splattered green and red icing on her doughnut, I knew she was in trouble.  A bit too Jackson Pollock messy and you can't BS your way out of that one -- not that she tried, but I'm just saying, it looked pretty amateurish and some do try to explain away "oh, I meant for it to look rustic" when it's really just a hot mess.  I liked Philippe and Adam's bakes the most last night.  Great to see the show back.  Carla is funny and quick and not as wound up as she is on some other competition shows.

So do I! Cheers! 🍸

• Love 9
15 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Shayla, who used pre-made puff pastry and undercooked it and the apples, was eliminated

Anyone who has never tasted Brie, and then says it tastes like "salty cream cheese" immediately lost my respect!

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

I was afraid she was going to ding the palm tree decoration as not holiday enough, but fortunately she was sensitive/aware enough to realize that not everyone is surrounded by evergreen trees.

It's only taken her how many seasons to recognize that? I know some of the other contestants in seasons past have really pushed against her limited view of "holiday." 

I don't mind Nancy. I usually like her criticisms except when it comes to her very specific definition of holiday. We've had bakers from tropical climates in years past. They may not get snow and for them pineapple or banana might be a holiday flavor that's reminiscent of their childhoods.

Since Halloween Baking Show didn't have twists, I thought (hoped) this one wouldn't either. So much for that.  

• Love 12
24 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

It's only taken her how many seasons to recognize that? I know some of the other contestants in seasons past have really pushed against her limited view of "holiday." 

I don't mind Nancy. I usually like her criticisms except when it comes to her very specific definition of holiday. We've had bakers from tropical climates in years past. They may not get snow and for them pineapple or banana might be a holiday flavor that's reminiscent of their childhoods.

Since Halloween Baking Show didn't have twists, I thought (hoped) this one wouldn't either. So much for that.  

I actually don't mind Nancy either, really. I definitely like her better when Lorraine isn't there (and would probably like Lorraine better if Nancy wasn't there, too). Those two were like oil and water more often than not, and didn't bring out the best in each other. Carla seems to jibe with Nancy much better.

I had completely missed the lack of twists in the Halloween Baking Championship. Did they really not have any? Honey is fairly inoffensive as twists go, I guess, especially when you're already using apples.

1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

I actually don't mind Nancy either, really. I definitely like her better when Lorraine isn't there (and would probably like Lorraine better if Nancy wasn't there, too). Those two were like oil and water more often than not, and didn't bring out the best in each other. Carla seems to jibe with Nancy much better.

I had completely missed the lack of twists in the Halloween Baking Championship. Did they really not have any? Honey is fairly inoffensive as twists go, I guess, especially when you're already using apples.

They didn't have any. I was hoping Holiday wouldn't either. I hate twists! Just bake! 

• Love 12

As far as the twist, they all had to use the same flavor and it went with the other must use ingredients. I think the twist was revealed sooner than we are led to believe. When Jesse asked one woman how she was going to incorporate honey, she was still mixing her dough.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

As far as the twist, they all had to use the same flavor and it went with the other must use ingredients. I think the twist was revealed sooner than we are led to believe. When Jesse asked one woman how she was going to incorporate honey, she was still mixing her dough.

Interesting, I can see them making it seem very last minute to pump up the drama and in all honesty, it was a pretty easy twist. Let's hope they stay that way. A twist that enhances not makes something a disgusting combination. 

• Love 4
On 11/1/2021 at 6:34 PM, Spunkygal said:

Not a spoiler since the episode is still airing on FN……

When Nancy ate the donut with the peppermint extract and said she had very fresh breath, then she turned to Duff, opened her yapper as wide as she could and then let out a huge, forceful breath, I wanted to slap her. Even if we weren’t in the age of COVID, that was just rude and childish. Seriously, I would have clocked her. 

I was shocked that she did that. I'm sure they're tested all the time but it's just bad form to model such stupidity during a pandemic. Rude is right.

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

it's just bad form to model such stupidity during a pandemic.

totally. Even when I'm with home repair people that I know are vax'd, and I am, I "stay out of their space." There's no need. What she did was horrible.

• Love 9

Are we sure Nancy's new hairdo isn't a wig?

I must live a pedestrian life, because I've never had cheese with apples, and I just can't marry the two textures in my mind. I can imagine that an apple pie cheesecake would be good, but then I would eat just about any kind of cheesecake.

Phillippe is giving me John Travolta vibes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I must live a pedestrian life, because I've never had cheese with apples, and I just can't marry the two textures in my mind. I can imagine that an apple pie cheesecake would be good, but then I would eat just about any kind of cheesecake.

Little slivers of apple eaten with little slices of cheese and a glass of white wine = major yum!

• Love 12
28 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Pretty sure ole Nance is sporting a wig. 

Apples and cheese is a classic pairing. Yum!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 11/3/2021 at 4:47 PM, dleighg said:

totally. Even when I'm with home repair people that I know are vax'd, and I am, I "stay out of their space." There's no need. What she did was horrible.

She looked like a complete idiot doing that! 

14 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I have never had a slice of cheese on apple pie but I have put cheese on toast with jam. 

13 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Pretty sure ole Nance is sporting a wig. 

I think so too. 

• Love 1

I don't hate the toned down version of Carla, but I do miss Lorraine.

I am currently watching early seasons of this show and in the first few seasons Nancy is NOT all into alcohol laden desserts, in fact, she sometimes told people there was too much booze . It was Lorraine who usually asked for more booze. Then all of a sudden one season it became Nancy's shtick. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/4/2021 at 10:00 PM, MerBearHou said:

Little slivers of apple eaten with little slices of cheese and a glass of white wine = major yum!

Apples and cheese make up a lot of my dinners. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

Apples and cheese make up a lot of my dinners. 

That’s often my breakfast! And yes, Nancy is wearing a wig, which is fine with me. A lot of ladies on TV wear them. Heck, some mornings I wish I had one! 

• Love 7

Why are almost all of the bakers using chocolate strips for the bark on their Yule Logs?  Is that the new thing?  To me, it doesn't look like bark at all.  It feels like a short cut.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, anniebird said:

Who got eliminated tonight? My DVR cut off just at the end.

Thanks.

The Caribbean woman who made the three mini logs that just looked like one, cut into sections, and the palm tree.

I really liked the campfire one with the flames, the one with the bird that won, and the modern log. It looked so elegant! I thought also that the ones that used chocolate strips for bark looked like shortcuts.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I also liked Jen's campfire log, but I was somewhat amazed that Carla could tell it was dry just by looking at it, and from so far away. I mean, she's at the extreme far end of the table, and there looks like a fair amount of space between the table and the contestants' cakes - so how did she know? She was right, of course, but damn. She's got some kind of dry-dar.

I was impressed with how well Sabrina's modern log turned out, considering all the trouble she was having with it.

Thought it was cute how Marilyn just stood there for a few seconds, admiring Jesse's wood-splitting skills instead of rushing off to start baking.

I agree that Naomi's was elimination-worthy but it was a shame because I liked her.