Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/24/2023 at 6:33 AM, bilgistic said:

I've heard so many reality show contestants say they're "here for my kids", and I think, wouldn't your kids be better served if you were HOME WITH THEM? Like, there was a single mother (so she told us 1,000 times) who was eliminated early on. Who had her three young kids when she was on the show?

Don't mind me; I'm just a childfree, hateful shrew of a cat lady.

"What's your inspiration?"  "My Kids are my inspiration!"  If I hear that one more time...argh!  It's fine to love your kids, and have them inspire you, but aren't there other things that may inspire you?  Colorful sunsets?  Your Dog? The homeless people you helped last Christmas?  So annoying.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2

I think the prize money should be higher.  $25,000 before taxes isn't a lot to accomplish what so many of the contestants say they want to do, especially the ones who want to start their own bakery.  After taxes, depending on where they live, they might get $18,000 - $20,000.  Also, a short feature in Food magazine is no guarantee that their careers will get a boost long term.   

• Like 10
9 hours ago, laredhead said:

I think the prize money should be higher.  $25,000 before taxes isn't a lot to accomplish what so many of the contestants say they want to do, especially the ones who want to start their own bakery.  After taxes, depending on where they live, they might get $18,000 - $20,000.  Also, a short feature in Food magazine is no guarantee that their careers will get a boost long term.   

Agree.  Chopped, Christmas Cookie Challenge and even Forged in Fire you get $10,000 for winning a single episode.    But shows like Christmas wars are like thisv9ne an$ the winner gets just $25,000 for 7 or 8 episodes.   

59 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Agree.  Chopped, Christmas Cookie Challenge and even Forged in Fire you get $10,000 for winning a single episode.    But shows like Christmas wars are like thisv9ne an$ the winner gets just $25,000 for 7 or 8 episodes.   

I've thought for a long time that winning $25k is a chintzy amount for the time put in this competition.  I'd be surprised if the after tax amount is over $15k.  It's a nice bonus but not a life changing amount.  I've wondered if they get any pay for the time they are in the competition, because I don't know how they can be off work unpaid for all that time.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Bobcatkitten said:

do we know how long it takes to film though? It could be only a few weeks.

My guess is 2 weeks max.  But performers normally get paid per episode they appear in, regardless if all the appearances were filmed in a single session.  Of course this is a competition series, not acting, but the finalists are on something like 8 episodes so $25,000 seems like peanuts. 

IMG_2354.jpeg

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
On 12/30/2023 at 5:17 AM, laredhead said:

I'm a big fan of Great British Bake-off where the prize is a cake plate!  Such a difference between the competition shows here. 😊 I do like a cash prize for the contestants, though.  I would even love to see compensation for each contestant who participates, with those lasting longer into the competition earning more.

Since they base the win on the final bake, I feel Ashley deserved that win.  However, I would like to see track record feature more prominently into the final choice, since there is so much at stake.  I really enjoyed Kevin and Toa's bakes throughout the season.  

Ashley was reminded not to bake so many cakes, but Justine was never cautioned about using cookies as her primary decor.  I completely agree that blind judging may be the way to go in the future. Nancy's favoritism is not a good look.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

After the first few episodes, I bet the judges could still figure out who baked what.   I'm not sure blind judging is really all that anonymous by the time you get down to half of the original contestants. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, DEL901 said:

One thing I do like about the judging is that the other contestants aren’t in the room at the time.  

Yes! That is a big plus for the one being judged. Plus it doesn't allow the others to learn things about what the judges want and any errors they may look for. 

• Like 2