Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10 The Last Seven Weeks

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, PRgal said:

He HAS to have had an older sibling, parent or another relative who LOVED the movie to do that (like my mom and The Sound of Music.  Because yeah, I was, at the age of 3 1/2 (that would have been 1983, some 18 years AFTER the movie came out) OBSESSED with it.  Still am.).  It wasn't likely based on peer pressure.  I also didn't think he'd be MORE obsessed with Star Wars figures than, say, Transformers or something more associated with Xennial males.

Do we know how old Toby is?  If he's a year older than Kate, then he COULD be somewhat aware of Return of the Jedi.

I'm a little confused.  I don't think parents love "Frozen" show their kids the movie because they love "Frozen".  It's simply a movie advertised for kids so they show their kids it.  Simple as that.  Kids are smart enough to watch movies on their own as well.  Sorry, but I don't find it at all unbelievable that a kid in the early 80s would be obsessed with Star Wars.  In the 2000s I worked with a 16 year old kid who was obsessed with Neil Diamond.  It blew my mind, but technology allows for it.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, PRgal said:

Do we know how old Toby is?  If he's a year older than Kate, then he COULD be somewhat aware of Return of the Jedi.

I think Toby is several years older than Kate. I remember in either the first or second season he said he was 42, and in this episode Kate said to Gabe that Toby'd had the Star Wars figures for 40 years, so he got them before Return of the Jedi.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3
On 1/16/2019 at 7:23 AM, Katy M said:

Even if he were a minor, if I was his mother, I would have said "too bad, so sad."  If I, myself, had bought them, I probably would have sold them back.  I'm trying to replace them in my mind with something I would actually care about so I can make an apt decision about that, so I can't be sure. But, if my son who was going to be going to college, bought something valuable for peanuts that he would be able to sellto help defray those costs and he doesn't want to sell them back to her for peanuts, or even peanuts times two, I would back that up.  He did NOTHING wrong.

The scene reminds me of an episode of Golden Girls where Dorothy, Rose and Blanche were having a yard sale and Dorothy and Blanche in error sold Rose's childhood teddy bear.  The little girl came back and Rose told her what the bear means to her and how she would buy the bear back.  Little girl wouldn't have it, so Rose just took the bear and threw the girl out.

My point is the fact that Kate (even though she is married to Toby) sold something that was not her's to sell without the owner's permission.  To me that made the contract null and void with the snot nose kid. What if Toby was cleaning and gave Kate's precious green t-shirt that Jack gave her to the salvation army and it was sold? Oh Kate would initiate divorce with that one!!!!  She would never ever talk to Toby again!  Same thing with the Star Wars toys.  

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, greekmom said:

The scene reminds me of an episode of Golden Girls where Dorothy, Rose and Blanche were having a yard sale and Dorothy and Blanche in error sold Rose's childhood teddy bear.  The little girl came back and Rose told her what the bear means to her and how she would buy the bear back.  Little girl wouldn't have it, so Rose just took the bear and threw the girl out.

That was a little different in that the girl didn't just say that she wanted to keep the bear, she was trying to blackmail Rose.  She cut off an ear and sent it to her. That's just creepy. Which actually only makes it different for TV purposes and who you would root for.  If that little girl bought that bear, it is hers to do what she pleases.

My point is the fact that Kate (even though she is married to Toby) sold something that was not her's to sell without the owner's permission.  To me that made the contract null and void with the snot nose kid.

Not in the eyes of the law unless Toby is willing to press charges against Kate for theft.

What if Toby was cleaning and gave Kate's precious green t-shirt that Jack gave her to the salvation army and it was sold? Oh Kate would initiate divorce with that one!!!!  She would never ever talk to Toby again!  Same thing with the Star Wars toys.  

Then that would suck for Kate, but wouldn't affect the person who bought it.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 8

I thought this episode was more entertaining than most of this show's eps lately. I liked how it started in the here and now, then went back to show how the here and now came about. It also reversed how I felt about almost all of the characters.

I strongly dislike Beth for bailing in the middle of the election thing. WTH, stick it out a few more weeks. Then she's all back in with the election thing. Then Randall freaking wins? The heck. I guess Beth can kick Randall out of the house for good now, she can flip flop all over again. Not that I care. Randall and Beth ... ugh to both of them.

Randall speechifies the pie clerk and demands she go bake him a blueberry pie NOW! WTH Randall, maybe you stop at the grocery and buy a crust and some filling and bake your own pie at home for NYE. Ever think of that? And dude, you could have at least bought the preacher's meal after he gave you his pie. That was probably to just shut Randall the heck up and so he'd freaking leave.

What was with Kevin all pissy about Zoe not unpacking? Why not just say, "Hey, let's unpack some of this stuff, whaddaya think?" I'd have moved all those boxes out and into storage if Kevin got all in my face like he did to Zoe. Then he turns all nicey nice when she decides she's staying. Geesh, manic-depressive much Kevin?

I can't even with Kate. What a total maroon (TM Bugs Bunny), dumbass and completely RUDE person to tell Toby he has to get rid of all of his stuff. WTH. That fire was what, 30 years ago and you don't have anything of your own? Boo hoo. Not Toby's problem.

Best part of the show: Gabe The Kid refusing to sell the Star Wars stuff back after Kate's self-involved speechifying. She's lucky he even listened to her whinging. Except he was probably stupefied by her dumbassery and couldn't look away, like he was at a bad car crash.

Second best part of the show: When the first shot of the football-stadium toy Toby had built was shown, one of the toy players was bending over and a second toy player was standing right behind him. That was a "Call the censors" moment and made me LOL!

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Second best part of the show: When the first shot of the football-stadium toy Toby had built was shown, one of the toy players was bending over and a second toy player was standing right behind him. That was a "Call the censors" moment and made me LOL!

Wouldn't that just be the center and the quarterback doing what they do?

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Wouldn't that just be the center and the quarterback doing what they do?

Yes, it was, but it was such a "Team America: World Police" moment, it still made me laugh and think about ... well, other things.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't think the kid was being snotty at all.  If anything, Kate saying the kid was a "weirdo" before she even met him says a lot more about Kate than the kid  (a college student).   I do wonder what would have happened if there was some sort of physical altercation.  Kate and the college student both go to the same college.

Why would there be a physical altercation?  The kid had no reason to hit her or anything, and Kate would have to be the stupidest person on planet earth to start something physical when she's in the midst of a high-risk, this is your only shot, pregnancy.  And, Toby's not the type to get into a fight over something stupid. I'm not saying that his action figures are stupid.  I'm saying that he's smart enough to know that the kid is in the right legally and all a fight would do would land him in a heap of trouble.

• Love 2
On 1/15/2019 at 8:38 PM, tennisgurl said:

Oh, I forgot Kevin using a Game of Thrones allegory to get information from the woman at the VA, only for her to Game of Thrones him right back! That was so great, it got a full on laugh out of me. 

That college kid shutting down a classic Pearson speech was something else. Now I just imagine all of these side characters getting together to bitch about ridiculous Pearson antics. Like the group chat that the in-laws all have, but even bigger! I mean, what does this kid care about the backstory of this random person? Of course, of all the Pearson's, Kate really is the queen of over sharing with random strangers. 

I still am amazed that Kate, who worked in Hollywood for years, has no clue how much those Star Wars figures are worth. Or even thought that these old things in their place might just have sentimental value. 

I know she rebought the figures on eBay but did she sell them on eBay?   She would have lost money on postage. When I sell anything I look to see what the item has sold for previously and auctions that closed and didn’t sell. Heck a lot of the time ebay gives  you suggested price according to what they’ve sold for previously.  I assumed she sold them locally then might not know. That room was wall to wall toys collectibles would be hard for me to live with, unless I had a 2600 sq foot home.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Best part of the show: Gabe The Kid refusing to sell the Star Wars stuff back after Kate's self-involved speechifying. She's lucky he even listened to her whinging. Except he was probably stupefied by her dumbassery and couldn't look away, like he was at a bad car crash.

Plus wasn't he drinking, which could have helped him be more passive than he might have otherwise been.  I think I would have reacted similarly, it was kind of stupefying. 

• Love 2

Randall, it takes a long time to make a pie. I get your desperation but it wasn't possible. You should have freaking reserved the pie.

I was 12 when Star Wars came out, merchandising really wasn't a thing yet, so they DID NOT MAKE ENOUGH ACTION FIGURES. I was one of the ones who got a certificate that my figures would be coming later. Too bad I didn't save that certificate or the original four figures when they came, but I was 12, and played with them.

While the college kid was within his rights, he was also very hard hearted. He did look like he was going to relent for a moment. Personally I think he should have made them a counter offer.

Randall winning: he had to either win or lose. I'm find with his winning, and I'm glad he worked it out with Beth. Marriage is a two way street and in the end I kind of agreed wit her that she was being tough on him.

I don't love this show like I used to, but I'm far from hate watching it yet.

Oh, and Nicky was Alice is the best typo EVER. Would explain so much.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, lucindabelle said:

While the college kid was within his rights, he was also very hard hearted. He did look like he was going to relent for a moment. Personally I think he should have made them a counter offer.

Maybe when he was younger his das was going out to buy his some Star Wars figures and was killed in a car accident.

2 minutes ago, lucindabelle said:

Randall winning: he had to either win or lose. I'm find with his winning, and I'm glad he worked it out with Beth. Marriage is a two way street and in the end I kind of agreed wit her that she was being tough on him.

While, I'm sure Randall did win, they actually didn't tell us that he did.  

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Maybe when he was younger his das was going out to buy his some Star Wars figures and was killed in a car accident.

While, I'm sure Randall did win, they actually didn't tell us that he did.  

Yes, they did. He picked up the phone and got the news and then said "I won."

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Maybe when he was younger his dad was going out to buy his some Star Wars figures and was killed in a car accident.

This made me LOL. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, lucindabelle said:

He didn't know those two old people from Adam and owed them nothing. It's like American Pickers who go to some auction and buy a thing for a dollar and resell it in their shop for $1,000. The kid knew the value of what he was buying; not his problem the sellers did not. That's not being hard hearted IMO. Katie's drah-matic tear-filled life is not his problem. And yeah, he could have made a counter offer: $25,000. Maybe $50,000. Take it or leave it. Toby is the one who took the hit. Not that he wouldn't have some toys to "hand down" to his kid (don't take those action figures out of the box! Giving them to a child would be insane!) but he lost thousands of dollars in collectibles because he married a dumbass.

All I could think, and maybe so was the kid, was that this self-important, entitled, preachy woman is going to freaking add to the human race. Heaven help us all.

As for how the figures were sold, this show lives in a time warp. It could have been eBay or a flash yard sale or Craigslist or she stood on a corner somewhere with a sign. In this universe, each of those things would take about two minutes.

• Love 12

I didn't say he OWED them anything.

I don't think morality is a question of what we OWE. He looked those two people in the face and didn't listen and shrugged it off. I find that cold. Was he entitled to do it? Yes. Was it a moral thing to do, or a nice one? No.

Then again, I hold the door for people, say thank you and please, and if someone doesn't say 'Thank you" when I hold the door I don't rudely shout YOU'RE WELCOME. YMMV.

So what if she was preachy? She made a mistake. She sold something that wasn't hers.

And Toby wasn't concerned about the MONEY, as made clear when he rejected the figures that weren't his.

He had played with those toys and saved them his entire adult life. It's not any different than if she'd sold ANYTHING he valued.

Was the kid legally entitled to keep them?

Sure.

Is it his problem?

No.

But I couldn't live with myself if I did something like that. Obviously, you can, and so could he. We obviously view what is being hard-hearted or kind extremely differently.

I also think it's telling that of my post that's the ONLY thing you responded to. I wonder why you care so much when I quite clearly said "personally," as in this is my PERSONAL opinion. I don't want to continue this after this reply, no interest in extending this.

Is it a nice, moral way to behave? NO. IMO, it's hard-hearted and cold. If he thought it was a sob story and they were ripping him off, he could have made a counter offer. 

Yes, it was played for laughs. And I guess a lot of people on this board would rather mock Kate and Toby than consider what in fact it means to them.. "drah-mat-ic" indeed.

But I felt for them both.

I guess the point is that the world isn't kind, and usually isn't decent. MOST politicians would have used the oppo research-- Randall didn't.

I have to say I too am tired of the hate-watching on this board.

As I said, I don't love the show like I used to but I don't watch it to come here and mock all the Pearsons and it sure feels like a lot of people do.

32 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I thought he said "what now?"

No.

He said, "I won."

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, greekmom said:

My point is the fact that Kate (even though she is married to Toby) sold something that was not her's to sell without the owner's permission.  To me that made the contract null and void with the snot nose kid. What if Toby was cleaning and gave Kate's precious green t-shirt that Jack gave her to the salvation army and it was sold? Oh Kate would initiate divorce with that one!!!!  She would never ever talk to Toby again!  Same thing with the Star Wars toys.  

California is a community property state.  Upon marriage, what's yours is the other spouses, and vice versa, in the eyes of the law.  Unless there is a prenuptual agreement properly executed.

The Golden Girls, yes, Dorothy!

1 minute ago, CrystalBlue said:

California is a community property state.  Upon marriage, what's yours is the other spouses, and vice versa, in the eyes of the law.  Unless there is a prenuptual agreement properly executed.

The Golden Girls, yes, Dorothy!

Actually, that's not exactly how community property works.  What each person earns after they are married belongs equally to both of them. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ShadowFacts said:

Plus wasn't he drinking, which could have helped him be more passive than he might have otherwise been.  I think I would have reacted similarly, it was kind of stupefying. 

Or, Gabe could have had enough alcohol in him and is the kind of person who doesn't behave well inebriated, and could have started a fight, per icemiser69's possible scenario.

13 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Actually, that's not exactly how community property works.  What each person earns after they are married belongs equally to both of them. 

Yes it is.  What I've highlighted is correct, but there's more to community property laws than what happens after marriage:

In community property states, the following is separate property: gifts given to one spouse (during the marriage); property either spouse owned before the marriage and kept separate during the marriage, and; inheritances.

Do Toby/Kate live in California? I'm not sure since Randall can get to Kate's hospital room in about 10 minutes (see past episode). This show is kind of hazy about where they all live, but then they do all travel via time capsule at warp speed. Side note: The Golden Girls took place in Miami if that means anything re: community property.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

Do Toby/Kate live in California? I'm not sure since Randall can get to Kate's hospital room in about 10 minutes (see past episode). This show is kind of hazy about where they all live, but then they do all travel via time capsule at warp speed. Side note: The Golden Girls took place in Miami if that means anything re: community property.

That is the question.  I was thinking they do live in Calif. but I get confused with all the shuffling around the country and the time warp travel!  I'm sure someone still lives in California and thought that was Kate and Toby.

The Golden Girls' Rose's property issues weren't of the community property variety, but Florida is not a community property state.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yes they live in LA, Randall mentioned flying during that episode. 

None of The Golden Girls we’re married so community property wouldn’t effect anything.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

In the last episode before the break, didn't we see the future where he was without a wedding ring and Beth is communicating with Tess, not him, about visiting the dying Rebecca? 

Y'know, I kinda forgot about all that until you just mentioned it...

On 1/16/2019 at 7:21 AM, Neurochick said:

What’s wrong with Randall winning?  Should people not go into politics if they have families?

They need to cut down in the speeches though.  Too many of them.  Then again this is television not real life.

Yes, of course they should.  But most people who go into politics do so - or at least start out doing so - in their own communities.  

I agree about the speeches.  Too many.  And too long.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:47 AM, zillabreeze said:

I'm really disappointed at how quickly TPTB got lazy with this show.

I am too.  I'm especially upset that Randall is not as awesome as he used to be.  But overall I think this show has lost a lot of its initial magic.  Way too much is eyeroll-worthy and predictable.   And that's so not how it was at first.  It was well-written and kept us guessing.   It seems to me as though they got caught up in all the positive publicity, rested on their laurels - and - as you said - got lazy.  

9 hours ago, Katy M said:

That was a little different in that the girl didn't just say that she wanted to keep the bear, she was trying to blackmail Rose.  She cut off an ear and sent it to her. That's just creepy. Which actually only makes it different for TV purposes and who you would root for.  If that little girl bought that bear, it is hers to do what she pleases.

The little girl on Golden Girls didn't buy the bear.  Blanche gave it to her.  She wasn't an adult who bought something fair and square.  Unlike Kate's college kid, who did.

(She also was a rude, disrespectful psycho brat who deserved to have it snatched away from her.  I'm sure everyone watching cheered when Betty White pulled that move!)

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm a little confused.  I don't think parents love "Frozen" show their kids the movie because they love "Frozen".  It's simply a movie advertised for kids so they show their kids it.  Simple as that.  Kids are smart enough to watch movies on their own as well.  Sorry, but I don't find it at all unbelievable that a kid in the early 80s would be obsessed with Star Wars.  In the 2000s I worked with a 16 year old kid who was obsessed with Neil Diamond.  It blew my mind, but technology allows for it.

I agree. It's not a stretch for people to like things that originally came out before they were born. Kids who were born in the 80s (like the Big Three) had access to videotapes of old movies and records of old music, whether these things belonged to their parents, siblings, friends, etc. or if they took their mom's Blockbuster card and rented them on their own. It's not like they grew up in the 50s and the only way to see a movie was to go to the movie theater. It's even easier these days since you can find just about anything online.

It seems weird to me when people assume that kids (or even adults) can't possibly like something just because it was created before they were born. One of my cousins has been obsessed with the Beatles since he was in high school and he was born in the 90s. When I was a kid, my sister and I found an old Neil Sedaka album and we listened to it constantly. We had no idea that he peaked well before we were even born.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I know she rebought the figures on eBay but did she sell them on eBay?   She would have lost money on postage. When I sell anything I look to see what the item has sold for previously and auctions that closed and didn’t sell. Heck a lot of the time ebay gives  you suggested price according to what they’ve sold for previously.  I assumed she sold them locally then might not know. That room was wall to wall toys collectibles would be hard for me to live with, unless I had a 2600 sq foot home.  

She told Toby that the kids at her college were going crazy over the action figures she was selling, so I assumed that she was just selling them locally. She didn't mention ebay until after the whole "you sold my DNS box" debacle when she bought some action figures on ebay to replace the ones that she had sold.

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

In the previous episode, Toby took Kate to Encino Community College to enroll in classes so I'm assuming they still live in California (which is where they have both lived since they met in S1). Randall mentioned buying a plane ticket when he went to see Kate. Apparently it was the fastest plane in the world!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's not a stretch for people to like things that originally came out before they were born. [...] It's even easier these days since you can find just about anything online.

As evidenced by Tess discovering Nirvana on Spotify. :D

• Love 11
5 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

The little girl on Golden Girls didn't buy the bear.  Blanche gave it to her.  She wasn't an adult who bought something fair and square.  Unlike Kate's college kid, who did.

(She also was a rude, disrespectful psycho brat who deserved to have it snatched away from her.  I'm sure everyone watching cheered when Betty White pulled that move!)

OK, fine. If someone gave her a gift, legally it was hers to do with as she pleased.  But, I agree she was a brat, which is why I said it was a different situation than this.  that college kid wasn't taunting them.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I agree. It's not a stretch for people to like things that originally came out before they were born.

I guess nobody here is familiar with how popular STAR TREK - the series, not the movies - is within the so-called nerd community, and with Autistics in particular. They can speak Klingon, FFS! And the ones I know are not older than their early 30's.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

As evidenced by Tess discovering Nirvana on Spotify. :D

It's different with kids today.  Tess can easily access Spotify.  My parents had to expose things to me (i.e. rent/buy the tapes or tape shows/old movies when they aired on TV) and if I liked it after, ask for it over and over again.  Unless I saw it on TV myself just by switching channels (or saw it at a friend's house), there was ZERO WAY I could have become obsessed with The Sound of Music.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mishap said:

Why do I continue to watch this show that I hate?   

I don't hate this show, it is one of the only two broadcast network shows I watch regularly. But I hope they don't keep it going to the point when it gets driven into the ground. No show could maintain the high writing level and plot intensity that was S1 of This Is Us, but I would like to see some more still of the stories of the main characters. Sterling K. Brown remains brilliant as Randall.

Perhaps Kevin has of late been the least interesting of the three siblings to me but now I am intrigued as to where the quest for his uncle will lead.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I strongly dislike Beth for bailing in the middle of the election thing. WTH, stick it out a few more weeks. Then she's all back in with the election thing. Then Randall freaking wins? The heck. I guess Beth can kick Randall out of the house for good now, she can flip flop all over again. Not that I care. Randall and Beth ... ugh to both of them.

Randall speechifies the pie clerk and demands she go bake him a blueberry pie NOW! WTH Randall, maybe you stop at the grocery and buy a crust and some filling and bake your own pie at home for NYE. Ever think of that? And dude, you could have at least bought the preacher's meal after he gave you his pie. That was probably to just shut Randall the heck up and so he'd freaking leave.

What was with Kevin all pissy about Zoe not unpacking? Why not just say, "Hey, let's unpack some of this stuff, whaddaya think?" I'd have moved all those boxes out and into storage if Kevin got all in my face like he did to Zoe. Then he turns all nicey nice when she decides she's staying. Geesh, manic-depressive much Kevin?

When Beth decided to leave the campaign, it was because she couldn't adequately take care of her family's needs with both her and Randall on the campaign trail. And because his run for City Council seemed to be a losing battle. 

Every argument she made to Randall was spot-on correct. He said he'd never choose the election over his family--he did. He said that whenever Beth felt he should stop running, he would--but he didn't. And then he told Beth that he "played" stay at home dad for a year and didn't complain. Dude, you friggin chose to be a stay at home dad when you suddenly quit your job and wouldn't look for another one. And why is being the primary homemaker such a sacrifice for men that it deserves a medal? I detest that implication. 

Lordy, Lordy. Randall used to be my favorite character on the show. 

Needleess to say, I HATED that Beth caved and told Randall he was right all along because he was a great man. A great man can still be wrong. The writers are not good at giving anyone agency who isn't one of the big 3 or isn't Jack Pearson. Especially female characters. 

I enjoyed the Kevin and Zoe storyline most. Kevin only got upset with Zoe after he realized that she probably had no intention of unpacking and moving her stuff in. He was worried that he'd end up with a Dear John email just like the Congressman. But I like your suggestion of Kevin making a light-hearted suggestion to Zoe that they unpack the boxes together. 

• Love 18

Just to piggy-back, I completely believe Gabe could be Star Wars-obsessed, even though it came out before he was born. My kids are currently 2 & 4, & they are obsessed, seriously obsessed with The Lion King. They watch it in the vehicle, they play Scar & Simba, or Nahla & Simba all the time (I'm actually not sure which way to encourage them in that area, Scar & Simba try to kill each other repeatedly, more Scar trying to kill Simba, but Nahla & Simba procreate, so I'm torn). They're obsessed, & they're super young. I fully believe that Gabe could be into Star Wars.

On topic: what's the over/under on Randall just coming home from the day & moving Uncle Nicky into his house without clearing it with Beth, or even introducing the 2? 

Edited by nkotb
  • Love 13
47 minutes ago, nkotb said:

On topic: what's the over/under on Randall just coming home from the day & moving Uncle Nicky into his house without clearing it with Beth, or even introducing the 2? 

LOL! I didn't even think that far ahead, but yes! to this story line that could go in so many different directions.

While I don't collect action figures, I'm a Star Wars fan and know what those figures are worth. If I had seen that box of SW figures before Gabe The College Kid, I would have bought them STAT. And maybe tried to get the price down to $8. Then Kate could buy them all back, one at a time, on eBay, from me. That would rock!

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Who knows what Toby is capable of doing?   I am just hoping that Toby is back on the right dosage of his medication.

Now that  Kevin knows that Nicky is alive, he really needs to leave the whole thing alone.  If Nicky wanted to be found, he would be found.  If he wanted to talk to Jack's kids, he would have talked to Jack's kids by now.   There is no doubt in my mind that Nicky is  a "lost soul".  Sometimes it is better to let them be.

Have we ever known any of the Big 3 to leave things alone or let people be? That would be one snowy day in Hades...

I actually liked Toby in this episode. The writers have certainly given his character some growth and maturity. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Who knows what Toby is capable of doing?   I am just hoping that Toby is back on the right dosage of his medication.

Now that  Kevin knows that Nicky is alive, he really needs to leave the whole thing alone.  If Nicky wanted to be found, he would be found.  If he wanted to talk to Jack's kids, he would have talked to Jack's kids by now.   There is no doubt in my mind that Nicky is  a "lost soul".  Sometimes it is better to let them be.

Seriously? If I had a long lost uncle I always thought was dead and found out was alive there is no way I would "leave the whole thing alone." I don't think anybody would. 

• Love 4

Star Wars came out in 1977, not 1967.  Empire Strikes Back was 1980, and Return of the Jedi 1983.  So, even if Toby is only 40, the movie releases were still when he was old enough to enjoy them himself.  There's no question that anyone into fandom these days knows the value of original action figures from Star Wars.  it's not like we're talking about Logan's Run or Split Second or some other obscure fandom.  I remember the kerfuffle over Empire Strikes Back pretty clearly - and I was only six at the time and living in a tiny town in northern Canada.  

I agree that following up with Nicky is the right thing to do.  All we actually know is that he's alive, that Jack knew he was alive, and that Nicky was the last one to reach out (the postcard).  Give the guy a call or a visit, and if he says go away, respect his wishes.  Everyone deserves the option of the choice to connect; they can always turn it down. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I would realize that it isn't about my wants or my needs.  That it is the ultimate in selfishness for me to pry into a "troubled souls" life.  In the case of Nicky, they should leave him alone.  He clearly knows that Jack is married and has kids.  He chose not to make himself known for all these years.  He had issues before he left for Vietnam, while he was in Vietnam and clearly after he was discharged.  Kevin is making it all about him, instead of just leaving things alone.

But Kevin and his siblings don't know any of these things.  The only things they know about Nicky are that he's Jack's younger brother and that he served in Vietnam.  They have no idea why he (or Jack) decided that he'd have no contact with the family (and really, we don't even know if Nicky knows about Jack's family.  I mean, their dad didn't).  And considering that Jack died when they were teenagers, I'm sure the idea of talking to someone who grew up with him is very appealing.

And I had to go out and buy a blueberry pie today because I'd been craving one ever since this episode aired.  Stupid Randall!  His Pearson speech obviously affected me.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Infie said:

I agree that following up with Nicky is the right thing to do.  All we actually know is that he's alive, that Jack knew he was alive, and that Nicky was the last one to reach out (the postcard).  Give the guy a call or a visit, and if he says go away, respect his wishes.  Everyone deserves the option of the choice to connect; they can always turn it down. 

The way the story has been developed, there's no doubt in my mind they're not going to leave him/it alone.  It's the way to possibly learn more about their father, what he did in Vietnam, and why he didn't tell them the truth about their uncle. 

• Love 3
On 1/16/2019 at 6:21 AM, Neurochick said:

What’s wrong with Randall winning?  Should people not go into politics if they have families?

They need to cut down in the speeches though.  Too many of them.  Then again this is television not real life.

OMG the speeches.

I don't like Randall winning because it's frustrating enough that Kate lives in LA and Big Three are rarely together; this will get worse if Randall's family moves to Philly.  The machinations by the show to get them all in the same shot once in awhile will get more and more ridiculous.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, topanga said:

When Beth decided to leave the campaign, it was because she couldn't adequately take care of her family's needs with both her and Randall on the campaign trail. And because his run for City Council seemed to be a losing battle. 

Every argument she made to Randall was spot-on correct. He said he'd never choose the election over his family--he did. He said that whenever Beth felt he should stop running, he would--but he didn't. And then he told Beth that he "played" stay at home dad for a year and didn't complain. Dude, you friggin chose to be a stay at home dad when you suddenly quit your job and wouldn't look for another one. And why is being the primary homemaker such a sacrifice for men that it deserves a medal? I detest that implication. 

Lordy, Lordy. Randall used to be my favorite character on the show. 

Needleess to say, I HATED that Beth caved and told Randall he was right all along because he was a great man. A great man can still be wrong. The writers are not good at giving anyone agency who isn't one of the big 3 or isn't Jack Pearson. Especially female characters. 

I enjoyed the Kevin and Zoe storyline most. Kevin only got upset with Zoe after he realized that she probably had no intention of unpacking and moving her stuff in. He was worried that he'd end up with a Dear John email just like the Congressman. But I like your suggestion of Kevin making a light-hearted suggestion to Zoe that they unpack the boxes together. 

@topanga I usually agree with your posts and this is no different. The bolded part ... omg! I was ready to curse Randall all the way out. He acts like he’s so special for taking care of his own kids!

I am really disappointed Beth didn’t rip him in two for that comment.

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, topanga said:

I actually liked Toby in this episode. The writers have certainly given his character some growth and maturity. 

I know, same here. And I've never liked Toby before, ever. It's like I'm in the Seinfeld Bizarro World.

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

No, unfortunately.  Those three were never taught anything about boundaries.

ETA:  They must be related to Gladys Kravitz.

This made me LOL, mainly because I've been watching Bewitched reruns. Gladys is hee-larious.

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I would realize that it isn't about my wants or my needs.  That it is the ultimate in selfishness for me to pry into a "troubled souls" life.  In the case of Nicky, they should leave him alone.  He clearly knows that Jack is married and has kids.  He chose not to make himself known for all these years.  He had issues before he left for Vietnam, while he was in Vietnam and clearly after he was discharged.  Kevin is making it all about him, instead of just leaving things alone.

So much WORD to this. Agree wholeheartedly. But as others have pointed out, The Big Three are so self-absorbed, they have no boundaries and are all about what THEY want, not what's best for anyone else. I just hope they call first. I hate "drop in" visitors, and I'm not hiding out from anyone and living a secret life.

Of course if they said, "Oh, guess what, we have an uncle," and then said, "Eh," and just went on with doing nothing, this would be a pretty boring show. (And this thread would die from nothing to say.)

2 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

And I had to go out and buy a blueberry pie today because I'd been craving one ever since this episode aired

What? You couldn't speechify someone else into buying it for you? The heck!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

Seriously? If I had a long lost uncle I always thought was dead and found out was alive there is no way I would "leave the whole thing alone." I don't think anybody would. 

I probably would just because I'm not close to my extended family in general.

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

No, unfortunately.  Those three were never taught anything about boundaries.

ETA:  They must be related to Gladys Kravitz.

I think maybe a middle ground would just be to write him a letter and if he responds, he responds.  If he doesn't, he doesn't. Then, yes, he would know you tracked him down, but it's really not all that invasive.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

OK, fine. If someone gave her a gift, legally it was hers to do with as she pleased.  But, I agree she was a brat, which is why I said it was a different situation than this.  that college kid wasn't taunting them.

I’m not sure what the law is when an adult gives another adult's possession to a child.  But in any case, I apologize, @Katy M.  I didn’t mean to sound cranky or argumentative.  I had a bad day yesterday, and I probably shouldn’t have been posting at all.

8 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

I agree.  My first inclination would be to find out if he was okay.  Yes, I would be curious, but I would also be concerned because the whole situation is so odd.   He could be in need of help, maybe mentally or physically-incapacitated or destitute and unable to reach out.   I also would never want to have regrets about not following up after coming this far.

However, I would tread very, very carefully and would bow out at the first indication that he wanted to be left alone.

And of course this is a TV show about family (and this is Saint Jack's brother, which carries added weight), so of course they won't leave it alone.  It would be weird and would make no sense if they did.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Katy M said:
8 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

I probably would just because I'm not close to my extended family in general.

I'm with Katy M. I wouldn't be remotely interested if I found out I had some undead uncle somewhere. I do, in fact, have uncles (and maybe aunts) and several nieces/nephews I've never met and have no interest in ever meeting. But then, this show is not about me ... thank goodness for ya'll!

• Love 3
On 1/17/2019 at 6:22 PM, Katy M said:

I thought he said "what now?"

On 1/17/2019 at 6:52 PM, lucindabelle said:

No.

He said, "I won."

He actually said both. He said "What now?" into the phone in response to whoever called. Then he hung up the phone and said "I won" to Beth.

• Love 3
On 1/17/2019 at 7:38 AM, alexvillage said:

I believe Kevin could have gotten the proof via public records too. 

Only Pre-1953 military records are public record right now - although not much pre-1973 for the army exists because of the 1973 NARA fire. However, since Kevin is a nephew, he would be able to request the file from NARA for a deceased uncle, but they would have just said they were unable to find any records.

Kevin is a celebrity, why not hire a genealogy who specializes in military records to find stuff on Nicky if he thought he was dead? Zoe could've even turned it into a documentary - I doubt it was just a throwaway line this season that she is a documentarian - it has to come up at *some* point in this Nicky search

5 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

I agree.  My first inclination would be to find out if he was okay.  Yes, I would be curious, but I would also be concerned because the whole situation is so odd.   He could be in need of help, maybe mentally or physically-incapacitated or destitute and unable to reach out.   I also would never want to have regrets about not following up after coming this far.

However, I would tread very, very carefully and would bow out at the first indication that he wanted to be left alone.

And of course this is a TV show about family (and this is Saint Jack's brother, which carries added weight), so of course they won't leave it alone.  It would be weird and would make no sense if they did.

I'm a genealogy nerd, so I would be interested - my dad would be interested too - during research recently, I discovered he had an aunt and an uncle on his dad's side - he never knew he had an uncle or aunt - his dad never talked about them. My dad even had at least one cousin (Who was deceased by the time I found a record of him)!

• Love 3