Type keyword(s) to search

Endeavour - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Morse. Just Morse.

I am heartedly satisfied (other than being sad it's over). And most of all, satisfied with the reason Thursday is never mentioned by older Morse. Heartbreaking in an unexpected way (even if they had to stre-etch a little to get it).

Heh, did Russell hint that the coroner ends up with the reporter (John Thaw's daughter)?

Kudos to them all. And thanks for all those shots from the early years. Well played.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

So the Thursday/Morse farewell was just sooooooo…freakin’…British!!!  I was undecided whether to laugh, cry, or throw up.

Then Fred said: “Endeavour!” and I burst into tears.

<wipes eyes; scurries off to order the whole series>

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I never watched the Inspector Morse series. And until last year, I wasn't even aware of this series. Then my Mom got me into this show and I ended up bingeing seasons 1-8 in anticipation of this last one. In a short time, it's become one of my all-time favorites.

Like others here, I was stressed about Thursday's fate, assuming he would die. Color me shocked when it was revealed that he - not Sam - killed Peter Williams/Tomahawk (I believe my exact words were "Oh Fred, you didn't") The heartbreak on Morse's face when he confronted Thursday was palpable (Shaun Evans gives Morse the most piercing facial expressions) In their last scene, the love Morse has for Thursday is still there, but the respect is...if not gone, then greatly diminished. Also, Roger Allam is a truly extraordinary actor. I hope his other series comes back so I can see more of him.

As for the rest, I was disappointed to see that they continued flogging the dead horse of Morse and Joan. The star-crossed love thing with these two moved past triteness several series ago. A better approach would have been them both realizing that their moment had passed, and moving onto a deep friendship sans the will-they-won't-they of it all.

I'm glad Joan and Strange's wedding went off without a hitch and that Fred and Win got to enjoy it.

So great to see Jack Laskey back as Jakes. When I first watched the early seasons, I didn't like the character at all, but on re-watch, he really grew on me. The reveal about him in Neverland was heartbreaking, and I always loved that he got a lovely sendoff in Arcadia. His interactions with Morse (of course he was crashing at Morse's place) were great, fully imbued with the history between the two characters.

I'm going to miss this show so much. Well done, to cast and crew for a lovely finale and sendoff for these characters.

Edited by wanderingstar
  • Like 16
  • Applause 1
45 minutes ago, wanderingstar said:

In their last scene, the love Morse has for Thursday is still there,

And I think that’s why he stopped just short of telling Thursday who the victim really was. No point, and no need to pile on.

• Like 18
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Goodbye to the world of Morse and Colin Dexter.  It’s been a good one. I bawled when they played the Morse theme at the end. 

We didn’t get the ending I wanted - with Morse buying the car. Seeing the car is not the same thing! 

Robbie Lewis shoutout! And the three Easter Eggs for longtime viewers are I believe 1) Morse in the choir as he was in the first episode - I think it’s the very first scene  2)  Morse in the hospital bed as he was in the finale and 3) he walked across the same lawn where he has his fatal heart attack.

Didn’t Thursday have his passing out episode on the same bench where old Morse collapsed?  I really don’t know what the point of Fred’s little health scare actually was, as there were so many threats this episode from outside forces to keep us on the edge re his well-being.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I feel Russell Lewis was always trying to serve two masters.  He had to make the show work for people who never saw Inspector Morse while staying true to its cannon.

I listened recently to an old Interview with Shaun Evans from a couple seasons ago and he made it clear the it was Russell Lewis who wanted to keep teasing the possibility of an Endeavor/Joan romance and that he would have preferred it was resolved earlier one way or another.

I found the whole main mystery was rushed and confusing.  The anvils about death were really heavy handed and seemed to be filler until the last half hour where the main character stories were resolved.  I think the gunshot and the lines from the Tempest were meant to indicate that was where the series Endeavor ends.  The first scene in Inspector Morse was him singing in the choir.  So at that point in the finale he was all Morse.  Again, I think it was rather theatrical and probably confusing for the casual viewer.

I am somewhat pleased with where everyone ended up.  Thursday protecting his family to the last.  Bright returning to India were his daughter is buried.  Jakes coming back to confront his past before returning to America.  Joan and Strange married.  Endeavor alone but mostly by his own design.  Someone suggested that the passing of the bouquet was supposed to suggest that the journalist and the doctor end up together.  I think it was more that they were the two least likely to end up married but I can see how people might have come to a different conclusion.

I am sad to see it go but I don’t see how it could have continued after Thursday leaves Oxford because he was the heart of the show.  The show without him would be just another police procedural.

Edited by Autumn
  • Like 15

I liked the ending, wasn't sure how they would wrap it up, or what would turn Morse into someone who wouldn't have Thursday in his life. I thought maybe a tragic death was how the show would accomplish this,  but having Thursday fall off of the pedestal Morse had him on was brilliant. Morse realizing who had actually killed the young drug dealer, then siccing the  gang members on the dirty cop (i.e., conspiring to murder himself), and still trying to save Fred Thursday and his family was amazing. The look in Morse's eyes when Thursday said "he wasn't my son" just broke my heart. 

And now the Thursdays must live away from their daughter, and hide with their son. No more police work for Thursday, no joining the police for Jack. Everything in tatters because of Charlie Thursday and his betrayal of Fred. No wonder there was no Fred Thursday in Morse's later life. 

I have enjoyed this series, all of the series that came out of the Morse novels. I will miss them. 

My only quibble with Morse's choice to face Lott with the gang members seeking revenge was that people knew Morse was investigating there. I guess the gang members knew enough to get rid of the evidence, and wouldn't leave something that could be traced back to Morse. 

Well, done, though, show. I will miss the views of Oxford.  

1 minute ago, HelloooKitty said:

Can someone please explain the faux suicide scene in the churchyard? We all know he doesn’t kill himself so why was he firing a gun in an empty churchyard and why was it shot ambiguously?

Just read an article that said it was to symbolize the end of Endeavour Morse, and the start of the new phase in his life. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

The faux suicide was after Morse's hallucination(?) at the wedding, of him and Joan finally getting together.  From then on I figured anything might be symbolic or not realistic.

• Like 5

Well, I'm sad and a little depressed.  I hate to see  such wonderful show end.

I actually thought the passing of the bouquet was a private joke between two friends who knew each other well, and that in the earlier conversation about the Gay Liberation when the doctor was talking about being married to his job, we were supposed to think he was a closeted gay, intending to remain so. 

In fact that whole story line had me upside down for a while because I thought the handyman himself was gay and he had been arranging secret meetings for the Gay Liberation, the men he killed being writers of anti-gay letters to the newspapers.  I should have known PBS would never allow a gay murderer, the venomous speech where the handyman hated all minorities being more their speed.  Don't misunderstand, I'm liberal myself, but I think PBS has been a little heavy handed with their agenda in recent years.

I didn't really like the imagined scene between Morse and Joan.  They could have played almost that whole thing out, alone in the church after the rehearsal, with Joan then saying she loved him too, but that she also loved Strange and was going through with the wedding.  I wanted to see Endeavour confess his love to her,  but I didn't want the writers to trick me.

Those are my complaints but just about the only ones out of the whole series.  It was an exciting  and satisfying finale.

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, Driad said:

The faux suicide was after Morse's hallucination(?) at the wedding, of him and Joan finally getting together.  From then on I figured anything might be symbolic or not realistic.

What’s funny about that to me is that I wasn’t sure if it was his imagination or Joan’s in that scene! I thought it could as easily have been hers. 

oh, also, he collapsed bc he had been beat up? Right? And probably also not eaten. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Forgot to mention that I loved the use of "In Paradisum" from Faure's Requiem (one of my all-time favorite pieces of music), calling back to the first episode of this series. I always loved seeing Morse singing in the choir. 

Also, we know the reason for Fred's outburst at Morse when Morse came to see him at home, but in the moment, the look of stunned heartbreak on Morse's face pierced my heart. I wanted to give him a hug.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, HelloooKitty said:

What’s funny about that to me is that I wasn’t sure if it was his imagination or Joan’s in that scene! I thought it could as easily have been hers. 

oh, also, he collapsed bc he had been beat up? Right? And probably also not eaten. 

It looked like Lott hit him in the kidney.  He might have had some internal bleeding.  

• Like 1
(edited)

I thought as long as he was being beat up in the last episode they might have shown him with a cast on his ankle to explain older Morse's dropped foot.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, HelloooKitty said:

I thought so too.  It seemed like a scene a woman would imagine.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Daff said:

Didn’t Thursday have his passing out episode on the same bench where old Morse collapsed?

Yeah that was an Easter egg for Morse fans, as well as the circle-back to Morse’s singing and hospital stay.

4 hours ago, Daff said:

4 hours ago, Daff said:
4 hours ago, Daff said:
4 hours ago, Daff said: 
Edited by voiceover
Sorry all: the system kept burping
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

I have found it so helpful through the years to watch the episode a 2nd time on my tablet after being fixed on my tv screen first. This was no different. The two nitpicks that I didn't care for were 1) the gun/church yard scene, which didn't make sense to me first or second time through. Perhaps it was meant to be symbolic in some way as some have said but it didn't really work - not for me, at least and 2) I wish the murderer's reason for his crimes had been less stereotypical. 

But otherwise, ah, a few favorites from so many: Dr. D's "6 down and 2 across" comment, Morse's words to Thursday there at the end, "I know thee not, old man" from Henry V, and my man Bright sitting by the grave of his little daughter quoting that sumptuous speech from The Tempest as the camera caresses the station's empty desks and rooms. "Our revels now are ended. These our actors...were all spirits and are melted into air." Lovely.

Btw, was Jakes' return only so he could fill in as best man? What else did he bring to the plot? Everything about his presence in the episode(s) escapes me.

A poignant send off with typical fine cinematography and simply splendid acting. Show ~ you will certainly be missed.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, wanderingstar said:

Forgot to mention that I loved the use of "In Paradisum" from Faure's Requiem (one of my all-time favorite pieces of music), calling back to the first episode of this series. I always loved seeing Morse singing in the choir.

Thank you for this info. I was wondering how I could find out the piece's title. Me, too, about your comment of enjoying Morse's choir participation. But as a former long-time (small church) choir director, I am always more focused on whether the singers are KEEPING THEIR EYES ON THE DIRECTOR as they should. ha. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, HelloooKitty said:

Can someone please explain the faux suicide scene in the churchyard? We all know he doesn’t kill himself so why was he firing a gun in an empty churchyard and why was it shot ambiguously?

I really didn't understand that scene and didn't like it.

4 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Just read an article that said it was to symbolize the end of Endeavour Morse, and the start of the new phase in his life. 

It may have meant that but I don't think that makes it any better.

4 hours ago, Driad said:

3 hours ago, HelloooKitty said:

2 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I thought so too.  It seemed like a scene a woman would imagine.  

I also thought it was as likely Joan's imagination as Morse's.

1 hour ago, OlderThanDirt said:

I thought Lott had a knife and stabbed Morse in the back.

I though he was stabbed too.

I will watch it again, likely at least a couple more times, but there was so much that was a muddle to me and I can't say that I'm satisfied with this ending.  There are a number of things that are not clear to me and I needed more.  I really don't understand what is to happen to the Thursday family and it really does not join up with the later Morse.

• Like 4

I thought it was heart-breaking but not in the way I feared I would have my heart broken.  Nobody I cared for died.

To me my man Bright had the most hopeful ending. He will return to India, the place of his halcyon days.  I can imagine he may continue his painting, find peace visiting where his daughter died. I can imagine him meeting a nice woman. I can imagine good things for him. I can hope he would not be one of those professional men who drop dead a few years after retirement.

Thursday did not die though they certainly trolled us into thinking he would. He and Morse did part on good terms though Thursday certainly fell off the pedestal in a terrible way.

No matter what Thursday said I believe that killing will haunt him. Morse showed mercy when he didn't tell him who he killed.

As for Morse, I just can't get out of my mind how dour and cynical and unhappy I find his older self.

They certainly stuck the ending. They ended the way they had been for its entire run - classy and complicated.

I am sad it's over. I am glad I watched the show.

• Like 16
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

I was holding out for Robbie to come down to Oxford…maybe that’s why Lewis took the post far from Newcastle. I still want my Young Lewis (Robbie?) show - I held my breath that he wasn’t the adoptee. I’m not sure the time lines up…if Robbie’s a copper in 1972 through to 2000 something, that’s a long career. 

They did explain why Morse never mentioned Thursday again but I can’t remember if Strange is married in Morse. I saw Remorseful Day not long ago and I really want to see more of their later relationship, now after this.

Why didn’t Joan have a maid of honor?

I hate how Thursday went out but I’m happy everyone lived, even ol’ Ronnie Box. 

• Like 5
49 minutes ago, ML89 said:

if Robbie’s a copper in 1972 through to 2000 something, that’s a long career. 

I’m pretty sure this doesn’t mesh with the Lewis series, our Robbie bought Barry Manilow tickets for his high school girlfriend when he was 16, which I figure had to be mid 70’s.   I view this series completely separate from the other 2, I just can’t see Endeavour becoming the older Morse who I thought was a misogynistic arrogant asshole.  Liked seeing the clips of everyone including Trulove and Fancy at the end.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

I guess they were trolling us with all the dead Fred anvils. I'm glad he survived, and I think that outcome was just enough to explain why Morse might not still be in contact or talking about him a decade later. I was rather surprised that Thursday was the one who killed the biker. I'd thought it might have been one of the people involved in the cover-up, killing off a loose end, with Sam being a red herring.

The fake suicide was baffling, given that the whole point of this series is that it's a prequel showing the younger years of a character we know is alive in the 80s. We know he doesn't kill himself, so why set it up to look like that?

I guess that fantasy moment at the wedding was meant as a consolation prize for shippers, since there's no way they could have put that couple together, given that Morse is famously single in the future.

The clothes at the wedding gave me such flashbacks. My cousin got married maybe a year after that when I was very little, and I had a dress similar to what the young bridesmaids were wearing. I wasn't in the wedding, but that was a common style of dressy dress at that time.

I liked the early seasons of this series better, but I'm okay with the bittersweet ending.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

The various Morse series have many characters with seemingly unusual names: Thursday, Strange, Box, Trulove, Fancy, et al. Presumably Colin Dexter started this trend in his novels, but I wonder why.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Driad said:

The various Morse series have many characters with seemingly unusual names: Thursday, Strange, Box, Trulove, Fancy, et al. Presumably Colin Dexter started this trend in his novels, but I wonder why.

I read somewhere many years ago that Morse/Lewis/Endeavour's superior's had ironic last names:  Strange, Innocent, Bright.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

The best part to me was the final shot of Morse driving the Jaguar, and in the rearview mirror, seeing his eyes change from young Endeavour to old Morse....VERY cool......

It’s a callback. They did this at the end of the first episode.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
15 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Hmm...so Morse sets up Lott's murder, but he's upset about Thursday committing a murder?  What's the difference?  

Did he set up Lott's murder? I wasn't clear on that. I thought the bikers had followed him to his meeting with Lott.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, wanderingstar said:

Did he set up Lott's murder? I wasn't clear on that. I thought the bikers had followed him to his meeting with Lott.

I assumed that Morse made some sort of deal with them.  It's not like they wouldn't hesitate to kill him too if he didn't.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Hmm...so Morse sets up Lott's murder, but he's upset about Thursday committing a murder?  What's the difference?  

5 minutes ago, wanderingstar said:

This is part of why I thought this episode was a muddle.  It wasn't clear that Lott being killed was set up or not and not clear to me that Thursday committed murder - wasn't it in defense of his son or even himself?  Nothing I would call premeditated murder.

I also don't understand what Thursday and family are going to do.  Doesn't he have a job and house waiting for him?  Is the family going on the run or just Sam?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

The man Thursday killed had not raped and murdered anyone and was poor Big Pete who had suffered and grown up the tough way.

However,  based on the what they showed it looked like manslaughter not murder— and maybe even self defense.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

It’s a callback. They did this at the end of the first episode.

It’s more clever than that. As Endeavor was driving away (in his black car), he passed Old Morse (in his red car). They, each of them looked into their rear view mirrors just after they passed. Opening scene of Inspector Morse shows Morse arriving late to choir in his red car. Seeing that red car on the road made my heart leap right into my throat!

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 7/3/2023 at 3:18 PM, tootsie said:

Btw, was Jakes' return only so he could fill in as best man? What else did he bring to the plot? Everything about his presence in the episode(s) escapes me.

I think they just wanted an excuse to have Jack Laskey back, and to add a bit more poignancy to the Blenheim Vale story, as someone who actually cared about Peter Williams, but it was rather poorly executed. I'm also confused as to what he was doing back in England in the first place (surely if he was there to visit relatives/ with his wife, he wouldn't be staying with Morse... and if he was there specifically because of the BV stuff... why? how did he find out?), and I thought it was odd that during the scene where he extolls the virtues of America to Morse, he didn't mention anything about how he's doing there, or his wife or child.

On 7/3/2023 at 2:58 PM, OlderThanDirt said:

I thought Lott had a knife and stabbed Morse in the back.

He did, though I had to rewatch the scene again to make sure after Morse seemed so un-bloody at the wedding.

That fake kiss scene was so goofy. I knew it wasn't real from the onset, but it just seemed so "off" compared to the tone of the series. I also figured it would be a hallucination while Morse was still be bleeding in the field, so the fact that he actually was at the wedding (fairly unrumpled and without a drop of blood in sight) really threw me, and seemed extra bizarre.

The scene of Thursday yelling at Morse after killing Tomahawk, and their meeting in the pub at the end were both really well done, and I liked Morse's decision not to tell Thursday who Tomahawk was, but I think I wanted Morse to stay angry with Thursday. Is that awful, that the ending was a little too "happy" for me? I would have preferred Morse walking away from Thursday at the pub and that's the end. But maybe I'm just weird.

I'm glad Joan and Jim's wedding went off without a hitch, and I'm also glad Morse didn't have to be the best man. Sadly, I think he probably preferred being stabbed than having to be at the wedding.

Also loved Morse getting his own sandwich in the end. (Aw.)

Overall I think Endeavour was a great series, and I'll miss it. I hope Shaun Evans finds himself back on TV soon (and preferably with his natural accent this time... surely I'm not the only one who finds it incredibly sexy?)

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Like 6
3 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Overall I think Endeavour was a great series, and I'll miss it. I hope Shaun Evans finds himself back on TV soon (and preferably with his natural accent this time... surely I'm not the only one who finds it incredibly sexy?)

You're not! I adore his real accent, and I'd love to see him in a show or film where he gets to use it!

That fake kiss scene was so goofy.

Yeah, I didn't care for it, but then I've never been sold on the Morse/Joan thing. I really wish the writers had been brave enough to let them just be friends, without Morse pining for her. 

• Like 6

I wanted Morse to stay angry with Thursday.

Old Morse had removed anger from his repertoire of emotions (as it served no purpose). His main emotions were disappointment, frustration, and, occasionally, tenuous hopefulness. I think this episode seals that quite nicely.

• Like 7
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1

Re pining for Joan: Rewatching Morse after years of Endeavour. I always thought…

Spoiler

Morse was too inappropriate with women during investigations, but now I get why he always shoots his shot after missing the opportunity with Joan.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I really disliked how "old" Morse was with women and it seems different than the way Endeavour was.

I've been dissatisfied with Endeavour's relationship with Joan.  First I hated the way she treated him.  There was always a lot of tease in it and obliviousness to how he felt toward her - she couldn't have been so naïve that she couldn't tell that he felt something for her.  Next it always annoys and frustrates me when people can't or won't directly express themselves.  I don't know that they should have been together, much less married, but they could have clarified what they had.  Maybe it could have been acknowledgement that they cared for each other but that with regret, that they couldn't/shouldn't be together.

• Like 5

I wonder if they would have paired Joan and Strange if the actor hadn't lost so much weight. Of course Joan lost her activism somewhere offstage too.  She might evolve into the policeman's wife on Grantchester.

I thought the fact that the gun was a revolver ("six shooter") and he put only one bullet in and then spun the barrel indicated he was playing Russian roulette. So he could have fired once and we didn't hear the click and then he fired again-into the ground I hope in such a populated area.  I still don't know what we are supposed to infer from the scene.  Interesting that in the interview on the podcast someone posted (thank you) in a 30 minute discussion they never talk about that scene.

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

First I hated the way she treated him.  There was always a lot of tease in it and obliviousness to how he felt toward her - she couldn't have been so naïve that she couldn't tell that he felt something for her. 

It really stood out to me on rewatches how much she toys with him from the beginning. As I've said elsewhere on this thread, I think their respective unavailability is what made them appealing to each other. I think she liked toying with him because he was different than the other guys she's used to flirting with, but it also felt safe because she never thought he would be a legitimate suitor. And I think he enjoyed the teasing when he thought there was never going to be anything there. But then when they'd both self-sabotage whenever the other one wanted more and there was an actual chance of it. It's a very weird relationship, and I agree the show seemed to dwell on it too much. (I say that as someone who didn't mind it when I first watched the early seasons but grew increasingly exasperated with it. Mainly I just felt so sorry for Strange as collateral damage. Justice for Strange!) 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3
  • LOL 3

I wonder if they would have paired Joan and Strange if the actor hadn't lost so much weight. Of course Joan lost her activism somewhere offstage too.  She might evolve into the policeman's wife on Grantchester.

I thought the fact that the gun was a revolver ("six shooter") and he put only one bullet in and then spun the barrel indicated he was playing Russian roulette. So he could have fired once and we didn't hear the click and then he fired again-into the ground I hope in such a populated area.  I still don't know what we are supposed to infer from the scene.  Interesting that in the interview on the podcast someone posted (thank you) in a 30 minute discussion they never talk about that scene.

In the Season 3 episode Coda, the bank robbery episode, Joan tells the bank robbers her name is Joan Strange. On re-watch, I wonder if the writer had this marriage planned all along.

Also in that episode, Bright hands Fred the pistol that was used to shoot Fred at Blenham Vale.  That had me wondering if that was the pistol in the final episode signaling closure of the Blenham Vale store.

• Like 3

It looked like he was playing Russian roulette, to me too.  I really don't understand the scene.  Did he intend to commit suicide and change his mind?

• Like 3

On 7/3/2023 at 6:03 PM, ML89 said:

Why didn’t Joan have a maid of honor?

I wondered the same thing. Maybe she didn't have any friend willing to take the role? I know it's a little thing but at the rehearsal & the wedding,there wasn't an attendant for the bride that I saw & that bugged me.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1