Type keyword(s) to search

Endeavour - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Magnumfangirl said:

I just watched the season finale and I have absolutely no idea what happened nor who dun it.  What a steaming pile!  

I've watched it about four times now and barely have any idea.  I'm not going to puzzle it out any more and let it go.  I'll just hope for better in the last season.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

They’ve been showing some of the older episodes.  My thoughts:

love Fred so much

Win is miserable in every episode I’ve watched

Morse has that horrible moustache.  (Wtf)

Joan was nicer 

I forgot how much bigger Strange was.  He must have lost a lot of weight.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

I just watched the season finale and I have absolutely no idea what happened nor who dun it.  What a steaming pile!  

OMG, thank you! I was afraid it was just me! I'm actually going to have to rewatch it (the whole season, actually), because I really did not understand what the heck was going on!

I love Endeavor, but this was not my favorite season.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Suzn said:

I've watched it about four times now and barely have any idea.  I'm not going to puzzle it out any more and let it go.  I'll just hope for better in the last season.

I think one of my problems with it was like the other episodes, it was too long an episode. I feel like if they had cut 20 minutes or so out we could have had a much tighter story. Then we could have had fewer repeats of essentially the same scene especially in the hotel. someone dies - we should all stay together - everyone immediately scatters - repeat until the end. With all that plus all the nonsense about Fred it was just too much for one poor episode.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, Tiggertoo said:

Morse has that horrible moustache.  (Wtf)

Shaun Evans is a nice-looking man, but my God, he should not sport a mustache. LOL I usually watch Endeavour with my grandparents, and all of us literally recoiled and shouted at the screen the first time he appears with it. 

• LOL 8

I loved Winn's dropping some truth bombs on dear sweet Joanie--is there a mother in the world who'd be proud of their daughter's willingly becoming a side piece to a married man?  Yes we know Joan was at her lowest point and now she's getting her life together and dedicating her life to helping women and children but Joan has a habit of dismissing her mom and her opinions:  "She doesn't mean it" when Fred very well knows that there is a part of Winn that does. And she's afraid something horrible has happened to her child and she's lashing out in her fear and her anger--this makes her human. 

Onto Strange and Joan:  the episode before the finale has Strange sneering at the cops getting ahead because they went to the right schools or had connections to money and Joan agreed with him, "The old boy network" but how is Strange getting ahead because he's in a secret society any different?  He didn't get promoted because he's so much smarter or a better detective but because members of his society pushed it through. 

Good for Thursday for continuing to reach out to Morse and help him through his drinking and his angst--Thursday is offering him support, it's Morse who has to do the work to get sober.

• Applause 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Throwback question to the end of Season 2, please:

Incredulity puts me off of shows.

At the end of Season 2, Morse is arrested for suspicion of strangling someone to death with the scarf gifted from Monica.

In S3E2, we learn he was in prison (prison,  not simply jail or holding) for at least a month. I had to call bullshit, massive unbelievability.

Yes, the scarf was his, so what? That is the weakest of circumstantial evidence. Was any investigation carried out? Did they locate him at the scene & time of the crime? Was there an inquest, court case, indictment? Holding jails are for 'suspicion,' prison is only for convicted criminals. What was he convicted of, when, by whom and how?

Plus, he was a detective himself, with no criminal record. One assumes he would 'make bail,' be released on his own recognizance, and require a hell of lot more than, "the scarf was his" to ever land him back in jail let alone an actual conviction and any prison time.

For my wife and I, it just didn't wash. Felt like a cheap plot device to tease & manipulate us, begging for the next season to answer. When, in  S3E2, he tells Thursday what his 'month' in 'prison' was like, we turned to each other with WTF?? looks on our face.

There are many aspects of this show I like, and a few that put me off (the overbearing opera and heavy classical selections are an unbearable, unnecessary addition.) But the story-line has got to be believable or I'm out.

Edited by seth
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Onto Strange and Joan:  the episode before the finale has Strange sneering at the cops getting ahead because they went to the right schools or had connections to money and Joan agreed with him, "The old boy network" but how is Strange getting ahead because he's in a secret society any different?  He didn't get promoted because he's so much smarter or a better detective but because members of his society pushed it through. 

That was his point.  He joined the Masons because he didn't go to the right schools or have other connections.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

That was his point.  He joined the Masons because he didn't go to the right schools or have other connections.

But how is Strange's getting promoted because he's a Mason any different from someone using their "right schools" connection?  It's just another form of an old boy network.  Joan's approved reaction made it seem as though Strange was "getting one over on The MAN"--it's hardly something to be proud of.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The other week, I had no cable or internet so I broke out the DVD of the last Morse, and I definitely need to do a re watch. I had thought Young Strange was really close to Old Strange but not as much as I remembered. Also, it's so wild to see Morse and Strange working together so much in Endeavour and then see more of the boss who came in late sort of relationship. Although Strange did sit with Morse at the hospital.

Also, I really didn't remember Lewis and Morse as so snippy with each other (until that scene....).

On 7/3/2022 at 7:14 AM, JudyObscure said:

It's my bet Fred and Win don't know. Not just because Joan is living in a rooming house now, as Dargosmydaddy said, but also because she's always been  secretive.  Even her housemate didn't know where she was heading in that dress or who the guy with the hired car was.

You're probably right that the housemate didn't know anything, but I also hope she's smart enough not to tell anything to some drunk guy who comes calling at a late hour (or any hour).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I watched this season quite after the fact so have just finished.  The final installment really baffled me.  The "evil" plan was just too convoluted to make any sense to me.  How were they able to schedule this plan and ensure that a blizzard would occur to make it happen?  Why didn't the bus company send someone to look for an overdue bus that could have been in an accident (which it was)?  How could the hotel have been so well stocked after all this time (to the point that after eight years an uneaten piece of cake still was intact on one of the tables)?  Why didn't it look like there was eight years of dust on everything (gosh, my house looks worse than that hotel after only a couple of weeks).  Why did everyone go off on their own after knowing someone had already been murdered? Way too many story elements that didn't really make sense.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I watched this season quite after the fact so have just finished.  The final installment really baffled me.  The "evil" plan was just too convoluted to make any sense to me.  How were they able to schedule this plan and ensure that a blizzard would occur to make it happen?  Why didn't the bus company send someone to look for an overdue bus that could have been in an accident (which it was)?  How could the hotel have been so well stocked after all this time (to the point that after eight years an uneaten piece of cake still was intact on one of the tables)?  Why didn't it look like there was eight years of dust on everything (gosh, my house looks worse than that hotel after only a couple of weeks).  Why did everyone go off on their own after knowing someone had already been murdered? Way too many story elements that didn't really make sense.

I had those questions and more.  It was an unfortunate muddle as to who, how and why.  I was hoping some brilliant person who watched could give a coherent synopsis.   It's a shame they ended the season on such a note.  

• Love 1
On 6/21/2022 at 11:43 AM, Alistaire said:

2) Yes— Morse treated that lovely nurse very shabbily. Thanks for bringing her to mind—because he treated her shabbily for Joan’s sake. That’s unforgivable, looking back on it.

I've just finished binging the whole series, and was coming here to say this. He did Monica so wrong. 

• Love 3

Caught a glimpse of Anton Lesser in the trailer for the Disney+ series, Andor. This makes me want to actually watch it-lol

Also just saw on his IMDB that he'll be in the series 1899 (from the creators of the excellent Netflix show, Dark), so looking forward to seeing him in that as well.

• Love 1
On 8/1/2022 at 8:35 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

I've just finished binging the whole series, and was coming here to say this. He did Monica so wrong. 

I couldn't remember that  clearly so I found this montage of Endeavor and Monica: https://vimeo.com/213111546

What do you think happened there?  Did he just ghost her for a while or did I miss some subtle bit that told her they were over?  Was it all because he was (and still is) fixated on Joan? 

• Useful 1

I couldn't remember that  clearly so I found this montage of Endeavor and Monica: https://vimeo.com/213111546

What do you think happened there?  Did he just ghost her for a while or did I miss some subtle bit that told her they were over?  Was it all because he was (and still is) fixated on Joan? 

Now see, watching that reminded me of how cute Monica and Morse were together. 

As for why/how they ended, I remember at the end of series 2 when Morse was arrested, Monica was shown waiting and wondering where he was. Then series 3 starts and Morse is off licking his wounds with the Not-Gatsby folks. Thursday shows up and Morse does ask after Monica, but then I don't think we see her again until she shows up in a couple of series 4 episodes when Morse is at the hospital for a couple of cases.

So, in answer to your question, I think he did just ghost her. Which was the start of him getting on my nerves 😅  I sure hope Monica ended up happy with someone who wasn't pining after someone else.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 4

(spoiler alert for us Yanks) Review of episode one of the new season.  

Nothing to do with the review and episode one, just a general comment.  As I have always said, if the season doesn't end with Morse buying his car, I will be very upset. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Like 4

Watched the clip show thing on PBS last night that mostly counted down "9 things" in various categories to lead into Season 9. It was... a clip show. It showed clips. Eh. *shrugs* Was nice to see the gang again, though (even if clips of the horrible, no good, terrible mustache were startling when they just appeared out of nowhere, lol).

• Like 1

I absolutely loved it! I won't get into the plot, but I will say that there were so many callbacks (and the return of a minor character) from series 2 in this episode. I really hope they can stick the landing and give this show the proper send-off it deserves.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Just hearing the opening theme song made me have a lot of feelings! The cinematography on this show is divine. 

One tiny spoiler 

Spoiler

Morse started the episode looking truly fantastic. Refreshed and rejuvenated for sure. 

• Like 5

I loved it too. Everyone looks refreshed, really, but especially Morse. The story was great; I loved all the music and the intra-orchestra politics. And they did a good job weaving in the series-long arcs too. Also I got misty a couple times, particularly when Jim asked Thursday what kind of sandwiches he had.

I was spoiled on who'd be coming back so I wasn't surprised to see

Spoiler

Box, but I like how he showed up, and how they added him to the story.

Poor Sam though. His actor hasn't ever had too much to do, but they're taking him through it this time. It makes sense for him to have gone through horrors, but yikes. He had such a haunted look in his eyes when he corrected Thursday about knowing what he's been through. I hope there's something better coming for him by the last episode.

And I guess poor Morse too, although who didn't see that coming.

• Like 2

I was actually yelling "LFG" at the end of the episode; I am too hyped for next week. The first half of the episode was actually pretty funny, super meta, almost up there with "The Pelican Man".

I'm not ready to say goodbye.

On 3/5/2023 at 6:14 PM, Popples said:

I was actually yelling "LFG" at the end of the episode; I am too hyped for next week. The first half of the episode was actually pretty funny, super meta, almost up there with "The Pelican Man".

I'm not ready to say goodbye.

Agreed! It was real Season 6 finale vibes. I mean I have much more of a sense of impending doom this time around, but overall I'm looking for Deguello^2 next week.

Man, it was such great casting on those Oxford twerps. I wanted to punch each one of them in the throat.

I've been waiting impatiently for the meta detective show storyline since they first teased it, and they delivered.  The bemused and bored expressions Thursday and Morse were sporting while the actors went on about being called to the set and getting off book were hilarious.

Thursday talking to Morse about his decision was heartbreaking. And then the warning he got at the end, yikes! I don't know how they can possibly wrap all this up in just one more episode.

• Like 2

Wow, I wish we had some sort of warning when people start watching it in the UK and it hasn't aired here. 

One minute, here in the US,  we're talking about what we hope happens when the new season gets here, and the next post tells us who died.  I know no harm is meant, but it's a shocker for those of us who hate to be spoiled. 

• Like 2
(edited)

I don't see a post talking about anyone dying?

From my understanding the site's rule and the practice in this thread has always been that people can talk freely about a show once it starts airing. The premiere date has been big news for the last several months.

I realize it's a drag for people not able to watch yet, but it's a little much to expect others not to post their thoughts. I try to be circumspect and not give important things away here. But this is place I come to squee about Endeavour. It's the final season. There's much to discuss.

Edited by Lois Sandborne
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Lois Sandborne said:

From my understanding the site's rule and the practice in this thread has always been that people can talk freely about a show once it starts airing. The premiere date has been big news for the last several months.

I realize it's a drag for people not able to watch yet, but it's a little much to expect others not to post their thoughts. I try to be circumspect and not give important things away here. But this is place I come to squee about Endeavour. It's the final season. There's much to discuss.

This is from the first page of this forum.

February 12, 2019

~~~MOD NOTE~~~

Please note; once a show airs, even if it is not in the US, it is out of the bag, and spoiler tags should not be used. If you are entering this topic and have not viewed the episodes because they have not yet aired on PBS, please expect to be spoiled. Spoiler tags may be removed if used incorrectly.

Please pm me, @saoirse, with any questions you may have.

So it looks like spoiler tags are not even allowed if a show has aired. I know I stay off of forums of show where I don't want to be spoiled, though most of the time I don't really care.

I binged Endeavour a few months ago and when I do that the episodes seem to run together in my mind, I might have to watch the last couple again before watching the new ones. Whenever they get here.

• Like 1
On 3/8/2023 at 8:38 AM, dgpolo said:

I binged Endeavour a few months ago and when I do that the episodes seem to run together in my mind, I might have to watch the last couple again before watching the new ones. Whenever they get here.

I did a rewatch too of some of the most crucial episodes like Neverland and Home, and I'm struggling to remember some of the sneakier details. It's such a dense, rich show. I hate to see it come to an end, but at least it will be fun to rewatch. I'll always be either remembering stuff I forgot or seeing things I never even picked up on in the first place.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I did a rewatch too of some of the most crucial episodes like Neverland and Home, and I'm struggling to remember some of the sneakier details. It's such a dense, rich show. I hate to see it come to an end, but at least it will be fun to rewatch. I'll always be either remembering stuff I forgot or seeing things I never even picked up on in the first place.

Try reading the trivia section on IMDb! so much info my brain would overload.

(edited)
On 3/8/2023 at 8:06 AM, Lois Sandborne said:

I don't see a post talking about anyone dying?

Well I sure do see the post about someone dying.  

Yes, indeed, anyone can talk about anything once it starts airing, although some shows have markers saying "unaired in the US," and some don't.  The premiere date might have been big news on your news sites, but I didn't see any mention of it at all.

I didn't ask for spoiler tags, I'm not suggesting anyone broke any rules, and I'm not asking for separate threads. I certainly am not asking for anyone to not post their thoughts.

I just thought it would be nice, if, when the conversation suddenly switched from the last season to a new one the first person talking about it might say something like "Season 9," in bold, at the start of the new season.  That's what we usually do on the Dateline thread when we start to talk about a new week's show. 

I wouldn't think that would be  too awfully much trouble or spoil your fun, too much.

Just a tiny warning that the talk has changed from one season to the next so the rest of us  know not to read on.

Edited by JudyObscure
13 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Are you talking about the one about George Fancy? because that happened back in Season 5? I don't see another one?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I haven’t seen any posts about anyone other than the victims of the week dying this season. Who are you talking about? My understanding is that all of the regulars are still alive.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Are you talking about the one about George Fancy? because that happened back in Season 5? I don't see another one?

Yes, that's the one I was talking about.  I didn't realize it was about season five (?). Now  I don't know what season any of these posts are about. Very confused.  Sorry.