Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I quit watching a few weeks back but love reading here. I’m just waiting for Jaleesa to win… maybe she & Kardea will have a cooking show together and Molly can be their  repeat special guest. 😁

Edited by YupItsMe
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, goldenpuppy said:

Diego should be there and the final three should be Diego, Romy and  Carolyn

I think a case could be made for Justin, Romy, and Carolyn, but Romy and Carolyn are by far my top two.   I know this is about prize money, but I'd watch a limited series or a special of either one of them baking.  Make Carolyn's about Hawaii, and Romy's about France.  Would totally watch both of them.

• Love 12
38 minutes ago, Shermie said:

Molly is an immature non baker, plain and simple .

She has a successful show of her own and does a lot of baking.  Many of her recipes are quite good and innovative.

Does she belong in this format?  Definitely not.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Love 14

Tom isn’t my fav but I think Jaleesa should have gone home. 

Did anyone else notice that Jaleesa pulled her cheesecake out of the oven and began handling the pan with her bare hands? The voiceover was all about how long it takes for a cheesecake to cool down and should she put it back in the oven? That was an edit slip, I bet they went back to film her examining the cake after it was already cool and she had already decided not to put it back in the oven. 

I thought Carolyn’s cake was very elegant and I thought it would make a lovely wedding cake. Then Molly had to ruin it and say as much too. I don’t like Molly and I being in agreement lol. 

Edited by hookedontv
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I think we all know who's going to be crowned this season -- MOLLY!   She'll anounce her own triumph over the bakers, chuck primary colored sprinkles over herself like a Gatorade shower, and then treat all to a showcase of her food-eating faces!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Does the makeup department dislike Molly, too?  What was with that hideous goop on her eyes?

Romy is so cute—I’m rooting for him.  Jaleesa and Tom should’ve both been cut—what a joke.

Hoping TPTB chalk this season up to an experiment gone wrong and Molly isn’t back.  She’s just not good or likable in this format.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, toodywoody said:

I think Jaleesa should have went home. Yes Tom's looked childish, but every time they bake Jalessa's is messy or something goes wrong. Her cheesecake wasn't done this week. 

15 hours ago, mlp said:

Jaleesa should have been eliminated weeks ago.  I don't understand how an underbaked, somewhat messy cheesecake deserved to stay over Tom's cake which just had decorating flaws.

15 hours ago, Pattycake2 said:

Jaleesa should have gone weeks ago.  What the heck?  Underbaked, messy, four little wine flowers and unimaginative.  Cheesecake and she couldn’t even do that right.

Jaleesa should have been eliminated so many times & wasn't. that I'm wondering if she's the chosen one. I know a lot of people thought it was Tom, but that's obviously not going to happen, & I can't think of any other reason for her not being eliminated. Personally, I think the winner should be Romy, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So, Carolyn, Dennis, Jaleesa, and Romy fight it out next week.    I'm not sure I care anymore

I checked out a few weeks ago, before timer-gate. With Tom gone, maybe I'll come back.

• Love 1
On 4/21/2022 at 1:56 AM, orangekit said:

I can't seem to get rid of this quote box, sorry.

I tuned in last night because I thought it was the final and there wasn't much else on. Carolyn and Romy are so far ahead of the others. Wow, their cakes were just what I wanted to see more of on this show. Stunning! I want either for the win. 

Jaleesa should have gone but I'm not surprised it was Tom. Her cheesecake at least looked nice and tasted decent, his was garish and I know they weren't overwhelmed with the taste. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, mlp said:

Whoever did her make-up way over did it.  She looked awful.

Wow, turquoise eye shadow and spider legs for eye lashes. And that pink dress was ridiculous. That's the kind of dress that 70s moms might sew for their little girls.

Duff "doesn't drink alcohol"? Meaning he doesn't like it? Or he DOESN'T DRINK ALCOHOL? In that case serving him alcohol laced stuff is terrible.

• Love 3

Duff has had plenty of desserts with booze before and never said anything so I am guessing this is a new thing. It would explain why there not as many booze related challenges this season. Not sure what would cause the change, I doubt it would be a problem with alcohol or they wouldn't have had any alcohol related challenges this season. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, hookedontv said:

Did anyone else notice that Jaleesa pulled her cheesecake out of the oven and began handling the pan with her bare hands?

Did I see right that she tested the temp and it was 74 degrees? If that's celsius that is 165 F. Which should be overdone. If it was 74 degrees F, well that's way underdone. It looked ridiculously loose when she poked it in the oven.

• Love 5

Bah humbug. Not a huge Tom fan, but Jaleesa served a poorly decorated, underbaked cheesecake. SHE SHOULD NOT STILL BE HERE. The judges favorite part of her cake was the component that SHE FORGOT TO PUT ON HER UNDERBAKED CAKE and used as a garnish instead. What an insult to Justin and Diego that this is the final four. Dennis has not impressed me once and should have been eliminated very early in the season. I have no issue with Carolyn being brought back (and would be just fine with her winning) because she was sent home for a freaking cookie salad. Romy is my top pick, but I assume/fear that either Dennis or Jaleesa will win the season. 

Sorry for yelling.

• Love 11

I was at least somewhat satisfied that Tom and Jaleesa were in the bottom two and yet was a bit shocked that Tom went. Both of them should have been gone ages ago, but I thought Jaleesa would leave due to her under-decorated cake. I was surprised Nancy didn't whine about it not looking "Springy".

My top four would have been Carolyn, Diego, Justin, and Romy. Romy needs to win it all next week. And Molly never needs to host a competition show ever again.

• Love 23
12 minutes ago, rlc said:

I assume/fear that either Dennis or Jaleesa will win the season. 

I know absolutely nothing but I thought Jaleesa got the "winner's arc" edit this week when she mused about how proud she was to have gotten this far, and how amazing it would be to win it all. And I hate her purple lipstick.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8

There was a moment that Molly asked or said something to Carolyn and her response had a "get the hell out of here" tone to it. 

I really hope it is Carolyn or Romy for the win. Last night proved that those two are heads and shoulders above the others. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

I would love a season where all of the contestants get the same flavor or challenge, i.e. green apple and coffee, and see who can make something tasty and beautiful with that.  And no twists, just good baking.

That would be the Great British Baking Show...... 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Cetacean said:

11 hours ago, Shermie said:

Molly is an immature non baker, plain and simple .

She has a successful show of her own and does a lot of baking.  Many of her recipes are quite good and innovative.

Does she belong in this format?  Definitely not.

I never posted that Molly is an immature non-baker, not sure why that quote is attributed to me.

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

Duff "doesn't drink alcohol"?

I was surprised by that too. But I assume if he couldn’t drink because of medication or he’s in AA, then he’d either step down as a judge or they’d avoid using it in the bakes. I’m guessing it’s a personal choice, maybe since he became a father. For whatever reason, parenthood changes everything for some people.

I would love a season where all of the contestants get the same flavor or challenge, i.e. green apple and coffee, and see who can make something tasty and beautiful with that.  And no twists, just good baking.

This. A thousand times, this. Is it a fair competition when one person has to use licorice and another gets cocoa? Or one gets raspberry and another has to use starfruit? If they all had the same flavours, then you’d quickly separate the wheat from the chaff. 

• Love 14

I would love a season where all of the contestants get the same flavor or challenge, i.e. green apple and coffee, and see who can make something tasty and beautiful with that.

Like on those Chopped shows where they have to make a dinner dish out of gummy bears, tongue, and corn chips.

I absolutely hate those shows.

• LOL 5

I notice they don’t have many comments from the judges now and I miss the longer critiques. I also miss the spring themes like Mother’s Day or blooming flowers. They have done a little of that but mostly it’s been farm related. I can only hope that Romy wins now but he probably isn’t garish enough for Molly. It was a big mistake making the show around her rather than having her just be a host. I think it seems like Nancy and Duff are junior judges to Kardea and Molly and I hate that. They need to go back to what worked.

• Love 15

Duff quote from Twitter 

@duffgoldman

I have completely stopped caring when someone gets uncomfortable when I have to explain to them that I don’t drink. It’s a weird phenomenon.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Like on those Chopped shows where they have to make a dinner dish out of gummy bears, tongue, and corn chips.

I absolutely hate those shows.

But the thing is people are on an even playing field. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

Duff quote from Twitter 

@duffgoldman

I have completely stopped caring when someone gets uncomfortable when I have to explain to them that I don’t drink. It’s a weird phenomenon.

It is his business I guess. He does seem to be a bit testy lately. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

It is his business I guess. He does seem to be a bit testy lately. 

Sleep deprivation is a real problem for some people. Duff is a new Dad, maybe that is causing him a bit of a problem right now.

• Useful 2
13 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Duff is a new Dad, maybe that is causing him a bit of a problem right now.

The child was born in January 2021.  One would think Duff would have things in hand by now.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Agreed with everyone that Jalessa should have gone home for that barely decorated, undercooked cheesecake. SHUDDER But I remain baffled that Tom did that beautiful mirror glaze, then completely covered it up with that weird frosting (or whatever it was). And when his decoration was described as a "rose garden," I was even more baffled because it looked nothing like that from the angle we were given on TV.

Question for the bakers on this thread: Couldn't Jalessa have finished cooking her cheesecake without the top of it continuing to brown by simply covering the cheesecake with some tinfoil? That seemed like an easy fix to me, but no one mentioned it. I should note here that I don't bake anything other than the occasional muffin, so I'm no expert in this area.

• Love 4
Just now, BrainyBlonde said:

Agreed with everyone that Jalessa should have gone home for that barely decorated, undercooked cheesecake. SHUDDER But I remain baffled that Tom did that beautiful mirror glaze, then completely covered it up with that weird frosting (or whatever it was). And when his decoration was described as a "rose garden," I was even more baffled because it looked nothing like that from the angle we were given on TV.

Question for the bakers on this thread: Couldn't Jalessa have finished cooking her cheesecake without the top of it continuing to brown by simply covering the cheesecake with some tinfoil? That seemed like an easy fix to me, but no one mentioned it. I should note here that I don't bake anything other than the occasional muffin, so I'm no expert in this area.

as soon as I saw all that weird frosting, I knew he would probably be going home. It looked so amateur and yes, it really hid his work. The fence was kind of ugly too. 

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Maya said:

How are tropical drinks and wine/cheese desserts related to spring?

yeah Nancy said that one of the cupcakes (I forget which) looked so springlike, and it was decorated with citrus fruit (it was probably Remy's). I think of citrus decorations as more summery. And yeah tropical drinks are *definitely* summer. 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Pattycake2 said:

Jaleesa should have gone weeks ago.  What the heck?  Underbaked, messy, four little wine flowers and unimaginative.  Cheesecake and she couldn’t even do that right.

She didn't come close to meeting the standards of the bake,  I don't get it at all.  Tom with his constant auditioning for a job bugged the bejesus out of me, but in this instance, he didn't deserve to be cut.   

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

The child was born in January 2021.  One would think Duff would have things in hand by now.

My child didn't sleep through the night until he was 2, there are lots of reasons for infants to cause sleep disruptions. That might not be it. He might just be frustrated that this season is so focused on Molly and not the show. He might not be happy with some of the contestants. It might be all of the above. But I still wonder how I kept a job with the amount of seep deprivation that I experienced in those few years.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, jrzy said:

She didn't come close to meeting the standards of the bake,  I don't get it at all.  Tom with his constant auditioning for a job bugged the bejesus out of me, but in this instance, he didn't deserve to be cut.   

For me, it was a toss up between the two. Too bad both couldn't have left. 

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, BrainyBlonde said:

“Couldn't Jalessa have finished cooking her cheesecake without the top of it continuing to brown by simply covering the cheesecake with some tinfoil?”

That was my first thought as well.

Edited by TomGirl
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, jrzy said:

I guess Kardea's favorite outweighed Molly's favorite in the voting (even though Molly isn't a judge, she is certainly acting like one).  It's so blatant, it's annoying.  I've seen it on other shows (Tom on Top Chef always imprints on someone and they almost always go very far) and it's pretty insulting that good chefs/bakers have to fight against that to stay when they're far superior to the faves.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Frost said:

They saved JALEESA!  What a joke.  I am not a Tom fan, but his was a failure of decoration.  Jaleesa screwed up both the cheesecake and the decoration. Stupid stupid stupid.

The wrong person went home. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, TomGirl said:

“Couldn't Jalessa have finished cooking her cheesecake without the top of it continuing to brown by simply covering the cheesecake with some tinfoil?”

That was my first thought as well.

It was an issue of time. Cheesecake has to cool down to set up. Usually several hours in the fridge. If she continued to bake it, she would run out of time for it to cool. She should have been eliminated. Poorly cooked cheesecake and not meeting the challenge on the wine element.

So, Tom told someone on Twitter not to worry since he will be on TV!

What a shock ! This show is no longer about baking , it’s about “personality “  and drama !

Tom should have been eliminated before and he is such a BS artist / actor playing auditioning to be a FN star , that I don’t care  if he is gone !

Dennis seems like a nice guy , but he really screwed up way more than Diego, and Molly almost crapped in her pants with delight when he came out while baking , so he got saved ! 

Carolyn never should have been eliminated based on the flavor of her cream in that crappy cookie salad , she deserves to be in the final .

Romy is way above all of the others, so was Diego , but they do not have a sob story or over the top corny personality , so one got eliminated and the other had to work to get in the finals , unlike Jaleesa .

FN is ridiculous ,  Molly is a flake on her own show ,and has been for a couple of years . She  started out very nice and normal , but then real Molly with the goofy smiling and silly behavior took over .   It’s bad enough on her show , but she should no way be hosting .

If people think that farmers from Molly’s area have no clue about baking and have weird ideas about dishes like cookie salad or popcorn salad , it’s because Molly is doing a horrible job or representing them .

Sorry , but Molly is ridiculous and not a great baker ! Any woman her age who gets all giddy about sprinkles and makes crappy marzipan stuff all the time should not be hosting and commenting on professional bakers ! 

Maybe they can come up with a new competition for Molly to host with Kardea and Tom as judges,  then I can ignore all of them at once .  Right now they are ruining a good show!

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, orangekit said:

Any woman her age who gets all giddy about sprinkles and makes crappy marzipan stuff all the time should not be hosting and commenting on professional bakers !

speaking of marzipan stuff- is that what Dennis used to make his totally unnecessary "board of fruit" (that no one, no how, is going to eat?) I hate that wasteful and pointless use of food.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, dleighg said:

speaking of marzipan stuff- is that what Dennis used to make his totally unnecessary "board of fruit" (that no one, no how, is going to eat?) I hate that wasteful and pointless use of food.

I get the idea, but it didn't even look good. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

I’ve been Team Romy since the beginning.

He was ridiculously kind to say that all of the remaining PASTRY CHEFS were so talented. I think a couple of them don't really deserve the title.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Dottie D said:

I hope Kardea doesn't return as a judge. I miss Carla 🚫 🚫 and Lorraine.

I've corrected your sentence 🤣

4 hours ago, Shermie said:

I never posted that Molly is an immature non-baker, not sure why that quote is attributed to me.

Here's the reason. I had this happen to me in another thread, & @Bastet explained it.