Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Sharon Carter would have been a better fit for that Coulson role, now I come to think of it. Introduce her in Iron Man, simply as a SHIELD agent who would be known to comic book fans, and tacitly set up as Steve Rogers' potential future love interest.

Oh, why go through all that trouble when you can just shoehorn her into the MCU? 🙄 They had to have planned to include her at some point, so your idea is far superior to what we got. Also, I don't much care for Coulson, so there's that. It's amazing how much I can find to bitch about, considering how much I adore this franchise. Shame on me. 

• Love 3

September 10 2001

Peggy: How about we visit the WTC tomorrow?

Steve:----------

Honestly, you can do that with more or less everything. I prefer to think that Steve took Hydra apart, ensured that the tessaract was hidden away in a way that nobody would ever find it (or looked for the time stone in order to destroy it for good), invested some money in apple and then lived happily ever after....

• Love 5

As fascinating as the Steve shipping topic continues to be, it's been rehashed for a couple of pages. Please take a break from it if you've already said your opinion about Steve with Peggy, Sharon, Bucky, Falcon, or Mjolnir (my fav!). Thanks. 

• Love 17

Just got around to watching this on DVD from my library.

In some scenes I got the impression that not all the actors appearing and speaking were present at the same time. There were a number of over-the-shoulder perspectives that seemed odd to me. I noticed it a lot in scenes with Paul Rudd and not just when he was in Ant-Man form.

Great casting for the little actress who played Tony and Pepper's daughter. She really looked like she could be Gwyneth and RDJ's kid.

What a waste of Hiroyuki Sanada to have him appear for less than two minutes.

I don't get the point of Thor having that beer belly throughout the movie. After about five minutes the joke was no longer funny, IMO.

Surprised that there wasn't a post-credits scene though I heard there was some mysterious clanging noise at the end. Not sure what that would've been about.

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't pay to see this when it was in theaters. It was just too long. Plus uncloaked spoilers were already rampant that Iron Man would die. I'm more of a DC person anyway. I just wish they would get their act together more. Wonder Woman isn't going to carry that franchise.

12 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I don't get the point of Thor having that beer belly throughout the movie. After about five minutes the joke was no longer funny, IMO.

Surprised that there wasn't a post-credits scene though I heard there was some mysterious clanging noise at the end. Not sure what that would've been about.

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't pay to see this when it was in theaters. It was just too long. Plus uncloaked spoilers were already rampant that Iron Man would die. I'm more of a DC person anyway. I just wish they would get their act together more. Wonder Woman isn't going to carry that franchise.

Well Thor's space magic didn't extend to shape shifting and he just had to rely on Asguardian strength as the Avengers  went straight into their plan without him being in top form or Captain Marvel being on hand bringing her big stick incase of the battle that came 

• Love 1

The clanging noise took you back to the first Iron Man movie that started it all - Tony Stark built his first suit in a cave and we heard and watched him banging the metal into shape.

I had no problem with Thor being in such a depression for five years after losing his home and his people that he just ate and drank.  I also really appreciated that he didn’t magically get back into shape in time for the battle.  The jokes about him weren’t funny, but jokes about fat people never are.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

The movie does an effective job of showing loss and grief, though the first scene with Jeremy Renner losing his family wasn't that effective because we know from the prior movie that people just turned to dust and they don't show Renner's grief.

On Ironman in space, I had to go back to the ending of Infinity Wars to see if they go up on a space ship or something.  I guess we're suppose t fill in the blanks, that Ironman himself decided to try to fight Thanos one more time or something?

I liked comic books a lot but never collected them -- read them at book stores because didn't have the money.  I don't think I ever read a comic book that depicted death of any kind.  The heroes were often in danger but not only did they always survive, they always won.

So the MCU movies having key characters die seemed incongruent with the comic books source material.  Of course they had casualties to emotionally draw in the audience, though the ending of Infinity Wars, I didn't buy that it was a permanent state of affairs.

And that's the way I see Endgame as well.  Look, they just resuscitated half the universe, with the Hulk having to have his arm in a sling for awhile.

I guess Marvel doesn't care about making any more Ironman or Captain America movies any more?  Or at least for awhile?

Why are we suppose to buy that half the universe could be brought back, without a scratch on their bodies, but they can't bring back Stark and what's her name?

If they're going to claim time travel and reordering the universe can be done at the snap of a finger, don't tell us they can't reverse 2 deaths.

In any event, looks like Captain American ignored the admonition about not changing the past, just so he could be back there with his love.  But isn't he not suppose to age at all, while she grew old?

The other part is, they had to return the stones back to the original times.  Doesn't that mean Thanos can collect them again?

Anyways, after these movies, where half the universe was destroyed and then brought back, how are they going to continue?  There's no question they will continue to make Marvel movies of course.

Are they going to fight actual gods or from now on, the villains will be pikers, easily dispatched?

I don't think that will work though, since these Avenger movies are always about at least the fate of the planet hanging in the balance.

Maybe the comic books always became apocalpytic after I stopped reading them.  

Edited by scrb
10 hours ago, scrb said:

On Ironman in space, I had to go back to the ending of Infinity Wars to see if they go up on a space ship or something.  I guess we're suppose t fill in the blanks, that Ironman himself decided to try to fight Thanos one more time or something?

The ship they're on is the Benetar, the ship that the Guardians use and was then left on Titan after they were dusted.

Thanos left for Wakanda after getting the Time stone from Strange.  After the Snap, he went to his farm and destroyed the stones.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, starri said:

Thanos left for Wakanda after getting the Time stone from Strange.  After the Snap, he went to his farm and destroyed the stones.

And the Thanos that was dusted at the end was a Thanos from an earlier time period which means Thanos now doesn't exist in the time period where the stones exist.

8 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

And the Thanos that was dusted at the end was a Thanos from an earlier time period which means Thanos now doesn't exist in the time period where the stones exist.

Yes he does. When the version of him (and Gomora) come from 2014 they created a new timeline. The one we know, still happened the way it already did.  This is shown by when Tony dusts Thanos and his army. Gomora is still there as she switched sides in the middle of the battle. So she has no memory of what happened in our timeline after 2014.

In my count there are at least three timelines created: One Timeline in which Loki escapes with the Tesseract, one timeline in which Thanos just vanishes with his army (which would mean that in this timeline the story of the Guardians goes very, very different...in, Nebula was killed, Gamora ended up in a different time-line, which in turn means that Quill's story goes very different, too…..), and one in which Cap goes back and hopefully messed with the timeline and rescued Bucky, because I would NEVER forgive him if he didn't.

It is also possible that Tony accidentally created a timeline in which Howard was a better father….

• Love 3
8 hours ago, swanpride said:

one timeline in which Thanos just vanishes with his army (which would mean that in this timeline the story of the Guardians goes very, very different...in, Nebula was killed, Gamora ended up in a different time-line, which in turn means that Quill's story goes very different, too…..)

I've been thinking about that timeline since I saw the movie. No Thanos is good, but Ego is still out there. Will there be a Guardians to stop him from acquiring Qill? I wonder if they'll ever revisit the timelines they created.

7 hours ago, swanpride said:

Will he ever know that Quill is still out there might be the better question….

Will Quinn's GRANDFATHER ever know his grandson is still alive?  This is one of the things that has bothered me the most in anything featuring the Guardians.  He's an old man, Quill...just let him know that you're okay!

• Love 2

Given the fame of all the Avengers, except Peter Parker, I would assume that if grandfather survived the blip then he knows Peter Quill was part of that army before the Guardians and Thor went back to space.

• Love 1

I watched it for the first time... I seem to have formed the tradition of watching Avenger movies on New Year’s... Civil War... Infinity...  now Endgame. Loved it. I honestly don’t know what all the criticism was about. I thought they did a great job wrapping up so many plots and arcs, and giving everybody a story. I actually want to watch the Ant Man movies now, something I’ve never been in the least tempted to do.

Does Hulk have an MCU origin movie with this actor? Maybe I’m wrong but I feel he, Black Widow and Hawkeye are the 3 ‘core’ Avengers without their own movies.

Edited by ursula
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, ursula said:

I watched it for the first time... I seem to have former the tradition of watching Avenger movies on New Year’s... Civil War... Infinity...  now Endgame. Loved it. I honestly don’t know what all the criticism was about. I thought they did a great job wrapping up so many plots and arcs, and giving everybody a story. I actually want to watch the Ant Man movies now, something I’ve never been in the least tempted to do.

Does Hulk have an MCU origin movie with this actor? Maybe I’m wrong but I feel he, Black Widow and Hawkeye are the 3 ‘core’ Avengers without their own movies.

Hulk has 2 movies that are considered canon but not with Mark Ruffalo. Black Widows movie comes out in May. 

44 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Hulk has 2 movies that are considered canon but not with Mark Ruffalo. Black Widows movie comes out in May. 

Ok, that explains it. So Hawkeye is technically the only Avenger without a solo movie.

On 12/30/2019 at 2:41 AM, swanpride said:

Will he ever know that Quill is still out there might be the better question….

True, but it's also possible that he'll try to create more 'batteries', Ego's a threat as long as he's out there.

On 12/30/2019 at 10:09 AM, benteen said:

Will Quinn's GRANDFATHER ever know his grandson is still alive?  This is one of the things that has bothered me the most in anything featuring the Guardians.  He's an old man, Quill...just let him know that you're okay!

I think that on some level Quill's still that little boy running away from the hospital, and he'll finally go home at the end of the third movie. (Regarding which, I find it amusing that Rocket and Nebula are more up to date on Earth pop culture than Quill. I hope Rocket makes fun of his dated references in the next movie).

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Not exactly. Hulk, directed by Ang Lee and starring Eric Bana as Banner isn't part of the MCU canon.

The Incredible Hulk, directed by Louis Letterier and starring Edward Norton as Banner is part of the MCU canon.

It's a bit confusing because Incredible was originally written as a sequel, but then they decided to make it a reboot instead when the film came back under Marvel Studios control from Universal and pretty significantly changed things about Hulk's origin from what was shown in the Lee/Bana film but kept other elements of the sequel script like Bruce being in Brazil at the start of the film.

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Watched it again last night, and don't hate me for saying this, but I think Carol deserved to wield the hammer more than Steve -- the Steve we saw in Endgame, anyway. Other than kicking his own ass in the past, Steve spent the majority of the film pining over "the love of his life" who had NOTHING to do with Thanos and the Snap whatsoever.

Carol, on the other hand, swallowed her own pain to get shit done: going after Thanos, handling the rest of the universe after the fallout of the Snap, single handedly decimating Thanos' ship, almost taking out Thanos if he hadn't cheated, and generally being awesome. I know I'm being biased because of my disillusionment with Steve, but I'd love to see Carol with the hammer.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Watched it again last night, and don't hate me for saying this, but I think Carol deserved to wield the hammer more than Steve -- the Steve we saw in Endgame, anyway. Other than kicking his own ass in the past, Steve spent the majority of the film pining over "the love of his life" who had NOTHING to do with Thanos and the Snap whatsoever.

Carol, on the other hand, swallowed her own pain to get shit done: going after Thanos, handling the rest of the universe after the fallout of the Snap, single handedly decimating Thanos' ship, almost taking out Thanos if he hadn't cheated, and generally being awesome. I know I'm being biased because of my disillusionment with Steve, but I'd love to see Carol with the hammer.

Deserved? In the ultimate fan service moment an alien interloper who in herself is more powerful than Thor, a hammer  herself without the need for external weaponry  has the ultimate moment to save an original Avenger.  Talking about sending the finger to the loyal fan base.

7 minutes ago, Raja said:

Deserved? In the ultimate fan service moment an alien interloper who in herself is more powerful than Thor, a hammer  herself without the need for external weaponry  has the ultimate moment to save an original Avenger.  Talking about sending the finger to the loyal fan base.

So was Steve ditching Sam and Bucky to create his own alternate past with Peggy, but I get your point. Carol didn't need the hammer.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, ursula said:

Haweye is getting a TV show, sure it's not a movie but better then nothing.

The whole 1970 thing really got to me this time watching. First, the Mungo Jerry exchange had me rolling. IDK, it just really cracked me up. "Was it more like the Bee Gees or Mungo Jerry? Definitely Mungo Jerry."  Lol.

Second, although I will never be okay with Cap's ending (I've tried), I really felt for him when he was watching Peggy through that window. It brings it home how much he lost waking up 70 years in the future.

Oh, and I always thought the first Kinks song in the MCU would be 'Catch Me Now I'm Falling'. 'Supersonic Rocket Ship' was fun.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, festivus said:

Second, although I will never be okay with Cap's ending (I've tried), I really felt for him when he was watching Peggy through that window. It brings it home how much he lost waking up 70 years in the future

If that was the only scene of Steve pining over Peggy, it would have been fine.  But I really would have loved it if, when Natasha caught Steve brooding over the stupid compass in the Benetar, she said something like, "Oh, are you still sad about your not-girlfriend who moved on with her life and died in her sleep two years ago?  Poor you.  HALF THE UNIVERSE IS DEAD."

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

If that was the only scene of Steve pining over Peggy, it would have been fine.  But I really would have loved it if, when Natasha caught Steve brooding over the stupid compass in the Benetar, she said something like, "Oh, are you still sad about your not-girlfriend who moved on with her life and died in her sleep two years ago?  Poor you.  HALF THE UNIVERSE IS DEAD."

And then she could remind Steve that among the dusted is his best friend, you know, the guy who Steve was willing to do anything to save including blowing up his friendships with Tony, Vision, etc, not to mention the position he put his other friends in like her.  But no, Peggy is more important.  

• Love 9

For many guys, the woman they love takes precedence over their best friend, their parents, their siblings.

It's how the human race reproduces itself from generation to generation.

• Love 9

And usually their friend is just a "friend", not the childhood friend who is like a brother, one was forced to watch die TWICE!!!! and who just returned from being dusted into a world which might still be hostile to him….

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

not had one kiss and a broken promise for a first date over a dozen years ago.

To Steve Rogers’s, over a dozen years ago was yesterday. Missing Peggy is representative of missing his entire life - the world as he knows it. His desperation to save Bucky is also part of that - trying to save what was left of his former life. You know the saying “the past is another country”? It makes sense that Steve would return to his home if given the chance.

Edited by ursula
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, ursula said:

To Steve Rogers’s, over a dozen years ago was yesterday. Missing Peggy is representative of missing his entire life - the world as he knows it. His desperation to save Bucky is also part of that - trying to save what was left of his former life. You know the saying “the past is another country”? It makes sense that Steve would return to his home if given the chance.

It was actually 12 years ago, he got out of the ice in 2011 and reunited with Peggy in 2023.

But I agree, he got to see Bucky recover from 70 years of brainwashing, save the world, and then he got a chance to reunite with Peggy (and if they wanted to go there, actually save Bucky in an alternate timeline), can you blame him for going back?

• Love 3

If Peggy had lived a lonely life as a spinster forever pining for Steve, maybe I wouldn't have such an issue with it.

BUT SHE DIDN'T. SHE MOVED ON. She had a family and a happy fulfilling life. She was not Steve's "girl" anymore. It was just stupid that he'd spend more time moping over her than grieving over his dusted friends. And for him to just decide to rewrite the past just to suit his needs instead of moving on with his own life in the present demonstrates an astonishing lack respect for her that I never thought he was capable of.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

BUT SHE DIDN'T. SHE MOVED ON. She had a family and a happy fulfilling life. She was not Steve's "girl" anymore. It was just stupid that he'd spend more time moping over her than grieving over his dusted friends. And for him to just decide to rewrite the past just to suit his needs instead of moving on with his own life in the present demonstrates an astonishing lack respect for her that I never thought he was capable of.

How did Steve mourn The Dusted less than the others? Everyone had different coping mechanisms. Thor became an alcoholic. Nat threw herself into work. Hawkeye became a killer. Tony moved on with his life. Steve literally just looked at a picture once then had a moment when he saw his picture on her desk and that means he was moping??

Also, Steve didn’t rewrite the past. The movie makes it very clear that this is impossible. There’s still a version of Peggy that had a happy life with someone else. And now there’s a version, our version, where he went back and she had a happy, fulfilling life with Steve Rogers.

All Steve did was return to his life and get a shot at happiness ... he didn’t make Peggy choose him over the other potential Mr. Carter. If anything assuming that Peggy has zero agency - that she ends up with Steve only because he wanted her, and not that she chose him in turn - is IMO disrespectful to her character.

Edited by ursula
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, ursula said:

To Steve Rogers’s, over a dozen years ago was yesterday.

He wasn't conscious during all those decades in the ice. Twelve years is about a third of his life, subjectively, and about three times as long as he knew Peggy back in WWII.

I do agree that Steve's whole man out of time thing is why he held on so strongly to his lost love, but my point is that it's not exactly healthy. If he'd actually built a good, fulfilling life for himself in his decade+ of living in the modern era, I don't think he would have chosen to drop it in order to go back and live out a might-have-been in a divergent timeline.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ursula said:

How did Steve mourn The Dusted less than the others? Everyone had different coping mechanisms. Thor became an alcoholic. Nat threw herself into work. Hawkeye became a killer. Tony moved on with his life. Steve literally just looked at a picture once then had a moment when he saw his picture on her desk and that means he was moping??

While they were on their Kill Thanos mission in space, he was staring at the compass picture of Peggy on the Benatar, even though she wasn't killed by Thanos.  We saw him talk about Peggy at his support group meeting instead of his dusted friends, even though she wasn't killed by Thanos.

9 hours ago, ursula said:

Also, Steve didn’t rewrite the past. The movie makes it very clear that this is impossible. There’s still a version of Peggy that had a happy life with someone else. And now there’s a version, our version, where he went back and she had a happy, fulfilling life with Steve Rogers.

Creating an alternate past IS rewriting the past, even if it doesn't erase it.

I'm sorry, but in the other movies Steve wasn't pining for his lost time and home.  He accepted that he wasn't the same guy that went into the ice and decided to make a new life and purpose for himself in the present.  He could have easily found a happy fulfilling life for himself in the future, and left well enough alone where Peggy was concerned: the last time they spoke in WS he was happy that she made a life for herself even if he couldn't be a part of it.  So for him to go back to the past for a do-over with Peggy is a clear case of character regression.  And that I cannot accept.  Ever.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

He accepted that he wasn't the same guy that went into the ice and decided to make a new life and purpose for himself in the present. 

Which makes sense... When he didn't believe he had a chance to return to his old life.

he was staring at the compass picture of Peggy on the Benatar, even though she wasn't killed by Thanos.  We saw him talk about Peggy at his support group meeting instead of his dusted friends, even though she wasn't killed by Thanos.

Because he was thinking about loss. He specifically brings her up in the support group because it's a group to support loss. 

He could have easily found a happy fulfilling life for himself in the future

And how well did that go for him? Bucky and Civil War drama. Sharon, the Peggy clone. Thanos... And that's to say nothing about living in a state of perpetual culture shock. Not a very strong case for why the 201s would be so appealing for him...

Edited by ursula
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, clack said:

To whom does Steve owe his loyalty? The woman he loves? Bucky and Sam? What remains of the Avengers? To the USA?

Or to his own happiness and fulfillment?

The duration of WWII plus 6 months, time for Captain Rogers to go home had long since expired 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Having Steve go back wasn't perhaps ideal, but Evans wanted out.

I know people wanted the character to stick around in the present and have further adventures with Bucky and Sam (but lets's face it, mainly Bucky), but that was not an option.

Steve had to be removed from the MCU, either through death or by going somewhere inaccessible, such as another dimension, being lost in the quantum realm, or the past.

Of those options, the past was the most satisfying.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, clack said:

Having Steve go back wasn't perhaps ideal, but Evans wanted out.

I know people wanted the character to stick around in the present and have further adventures with Bucky and Sam (but lets's face it, mainly Bucky), but that was not an option.

Steve had to be removed from the MCU, either through death or by going somewhere inaccessible, such as another dimension, being lost in the quantum realm, or the past.

Of those options, the past was the most satisfying.

And the writers were aware that this was always going to be Chris's last movie.  He was never shy about his decision not to extend his Marvel contract.  They knew this when writing both Infinity War and Endgame.  I do not have a problem with the idea of Cap and Peggy getting that dance and figuring out a way to have a life together in another timeline.  I have problems with the execution.  The writers should have been placing breadcrumbs about this ending in Infinity War.  They did not have to dust Bucky.  We could have had 5 years of Steve and Bucky getting the chance to be friends again (it would have happened off camera, but it would have happened).  Even if he still was dusted, we still should have gotten the heavily implied scene where Steve and Bucky say goodbye.  Why did we just get a look instead of actual dialog?  None of this happened.  

Of course, my biggest complaint of the whole movie was the lack of dialog in many scenes.  It makes it obvious that this movie was written on the fly on set and not a carefully planned out story like it should have been.  See Natasha's sacrifice.

• Love 4

3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I do not have a problem with the idea of Cap and Peggy getting that dance and figuring out a way to have a life together in another timeline.  I have problems with the execution. 

I think that’s kind of my position on the whole thing.  Ever since the movie came out, I’ve found myself in a weird position between the pro-Steggy/pro-Endgame fans, and the anti-Steggy/anti-Endgame fans.  I mean, I love Steggy.  I think the three Cap movies positioned her pretty convincingly (to me) as the lost love of his life, and ending his story by having him end up with her is fitting, in my opinion.  (Plus, though I loved Agent Carter, Peggy/Daniel always left me completely unmoved.)

At the same time, I just can’t be happy completely with how it was done.  I never never wanted Steve to go back in time.  I just....no.  It doesn’t work for me, for reasons I can’t even completely explain.  If Peggy had been brought forward somehow, similar to what was done with Gamora, then I would have been thrilled and completely satisfied, but that wouldn’t have accomplished the mission of removing Steve from the current MCU playing field, sooo..... 😕  I just...even if he went back and he and Peggy fixed all the bad stuff, stopped Hydra, rescued Bucky, saved Howard and Maria, etc etc.....what about the Steve of that timeline?  Do they just leave him frozen in the ice?  And even if they don’t, what, do they share Peggy?  Old!Steve says “sorry kid, I got here first”? 😂   Ughh.   It’s just so messy.  😕🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 7

Part of the reason why I liked Steggy so much is because it was the romance which never could be. I enjoyed the occasional fanfic about Peggy (or even better, a copy of Peggy) being accidentally transported forward in time, but I never got into the notion of doing it the other way around. That always felt wrong.

And Chris Evans wanting out was no reason to do it THIS way. You could have had Cap literally being lost in time, leaving his fate hanging (so that the fandom had a few years to speculate) and then eventually have him turn up again down the line, if they have to played by another actor (provided that Chris Evans didn't change his mind at this point).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, swanpride said:

Part of the reason why I liked Steggy so much is because it was the romance which never could be. I enjoyed the occasional fanfic about Peggy (or even better, a copy of Peggy) being accidentally transported forward in time, but I never got into the notion of doing it the other way around. That always felt wrong.

And Chris Evans wanting out was no reason to do it THIS way. You could have had Cap literally being lost in time, leaving his fate hanging (so that the fandom had a few years to speculate) and then eventually have him turn up again down the line, if they have to played by another actor (provided that Chris Evans didn't change his mind at this point).

Would folks have been satisfied with Steve being "lost in time" indefinitely? Sounds like an awful fate.

And would fans have been happy to have a new actor playing Steve? Seems unlikely.

• Love 3