Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E10: A Storm to be Reckoned With

• Start Topic

While reading this synopsis, I was reminded of 7 Little Johnstons. Alex went into the hospital for a sleep study as well and that's when we learned how disrupted his nightly sleeping is. What was determined from Will's sleep study?

• Love 1

The first sleep study resulted in will using  a CPAP. I’ve had several sleep studies and wouldn’t wish that on a child. The CPAP made me feel like I was being suffocated, and I opted out. I am a big coward and will rather go without sleep. I’m glad Jen and Bill were right on it. Jen noticed something was wrong their first night in China.

• Love 3

"Maybe Bingo is dead." Lmfaooooo.....

Boy, Judy couldn't wait to send everyone on their way. I have a feeling she's reached that stage in her life where she just wants peace and quiet. 

Jen seemed really tense and cranky this episode. I can't imagine having both my work and home space under construction at the same time. For someone who likes order, it had to be driving her crazy. 

It was nice to see Will have a cheerful attitude towards the sleep study. He just rolls with whatever life gives him.

• Love 8

IIRC Bill stated he was looking forward to eating cereal and watching cartoons with Will. There was a tasteful quick clip of them doing that in an episode after Will came home.  SGirl has seen us in undies since day one. We always joke the nice County Social Worker will visit soon. 

But if SGirl told a mandated reporter I would have blushed, while knowing there’s nothing wrong.

Not a criticism, but think it’s darn cute. I’m sure Will wonders why he has to wear PJs, while Baba wears undies. Been there, done that. Cute! So freaking normal.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 7

for some reason, I liked this episode. I think it was because there were more segments/stories about outside events impacted them as opposed to staged outings going over here, going over there. And the kids were better behaved. I'm glad both kiddies said no to the after-school activities that were mentioned - less foolishness for us to see.

I actually enjoyed hearing about hurricane Irma from their prospective. 17/18 hr drive back when you don't know what your going to find at home , little gas, little water, 2 kids and 2 dogs ... that was good tv there...

I didn't care for that they kept saying they need to get back ASAP b/c Jen needed to get back to work... Really ? Cat 5 storm, death and destruction everywhere, the majority of entire state of FL is in disarray, and that is her main concern - clocking in at the job. Put her on a flight from Pensacola then. She really knows how to be a killjoy sometimes..

I am proud of Will for not acting up as he normally does doing the CPAP event. And I didn't know that sleep apnea causes high blood pressure.

Prayers to those families of the 134 lives lost (including 3 in GA) from the storm. 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Sasha888 said:

"Will may have disclosed more to the sleep technician than was necessary..."  LOLOLOL!!! Yep, kids will do that! 

I think most people stopped wearing pajamas in the 60s.  Underwear, sweats, or nothing seem to be the most popular choices.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think most people stopped wearing pajamas in the 60s.  Underwear, sweats, or nothing seem to be the most popular choices.

hmmm, I guess the 60s was the turning point... LOL ! - I just came across this little tidbit ( link )  - 

"Victoria's Secret was founded by Roy Raymond, and his wife Gaye Raymond in San Francisco, California, on June 12, 1977. Eight years prior to founding Victoria's Secret, in the late 1960s, Raymond was embarrassed when purchasing lingerie for his wife at a department store. Newsweek reported him looking back on the incident from the vantage of 1981: "When I tried to buy lingerie for my wife," he recalls, "I was faced with racks of terry-cloth robes and ugly floral-print nylon nightgowns, and I always had the feeling the department store saleswomen thought I was an unwelcome intruder."Raymond spent the next eight years studying the lingerie market"

1 hour ago, sATL said:

I didn't care for that they kept saying they need to get back ASAP b/c Jen needed to get back to work... Really ? Cat 5 storm, death and destruction everywhere, the majority of entire state of FL is in disarray, and that is her main concern - clocking in at the job. Put her on a flight from Pensacola then. She really knows how to be a killjoy sometimes..

I didn't get the sense either Jennifer or Bill was enjoying the 18 hour drive home.  In fact, I got the distinct impression no one was having fun during the evacuation process, during the storm itself, or during the aftermath.  Even for those like Jennifer and Bill, whose home suffered little damage, the entire experience seemed like a frightening, pain in the ass, at best. Trying to evacuate in bumper to bumper traffic with two little kids and two little dogs on just a few hours notice..... yeah, not much fun happening there for Jennifer to kill, at least that I saw.  Plus, if she was expected back at work and her colleagues were returning, then I could see how she could feel pressure to also be there, especially as a newbie.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, sATL said:

for some reason, I liked this episode. I think it was because there were more segments/stories about outside events impacted them as opposed to staged outings going over here, going over there. And the kids were better behaved. I'm glad both kiddies said no to the after-school activities that were mentioned - less foolishness for us to see.

I actually enjoyed hearing about hurricane Irma from their prospective. 17/18 hr drive back when you don't know what your going to find at home , little gas, little water, 2 kids and 2 dogs ... that was good tv there...

Even if her simulation specialty isn't emergent Neonatalogy is. The NICU patients would have been among the first patients moved back into the hospital after an evacuation. They probably would have been short staffed and really did need Jen to come in as soon as she could. Jen might be not be up for 24 hour shifts anyone but I'm sure she can help out in a pinch.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

I didn't get the sense either Jennifer or Bill was enjoying the 18 hour drive home.  In fact, I got the distinct impression no one was having fun during the evacuation process, during the storm itself, or during the aftermath.  Even for those like Jennifer and Bill, whose home suffered little damage, the entire experience seemed like a frightening, pain in the ass, at best. Trying to evacuate in bumper to bumper traffic with two little kids and two little dogs on just a few hours notice..... yeah, not much fun happening there for Jennifer to kill, at least that I saw.  Plus, if she was expected back at work and her colleagues were returning, then I could see how she could feel pressure to also be there, especially as a newbie.

My comment was focused on the rushed experience back home than leaving out before the storm hit. Let the kids enjoy grandparents for a few more days.

I'm sure Bill didn't enjoy the drive back that particular day, at that time. He looked worn out. I felt bad for him. Then after all of that, you find the entire county is without power and you had to go to a hotel, probably in the next county, - which I am surprised had an available room.

But in all of that - once again, we have to hear about her work, as the priority. What could have been a little more joyful trip back home, turned into almost a nightmare.

If Jen needed/wanted to get back, then why not fly back (airports are normally one of the first to get back on an operational schedule) and let the family come when the traffic southbound/eastbound died back out a little and after you accessed the what happened at home?  She would have been home in a couple of hours all refreshed to go to work, and therefore she would have been happy. Two days wait could have been all that was needed for the car drive. News had been saying since the storm hit that gas and other supplies were low not to mention  road arteries were blocked due to structural damage and fallen trees.

I know it was probably no picnic for Bill to stay at the in-laws a couple more days, but to put the entire family though that , just so she can work, seemed a little unfair. I wouldn't have wanted to put my family on a 17 hr car journey that just so I can get to work.  Safety of family first. job second.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

Even if her simulation specialty isn't emergent Neonatalogy is. The NICU patients would have been among the first patients moved back into the hospital after an evacuation. They probably would have been short staffed and really did need Jen to come in as soon as she could. Jen might be not be up for 24 hour shifts anyone but I'm sure she can help out in a pinch.

I think sometimes in hospitals, when there's a disaster or large-scale emergency, it's all hands on deck and most everyone who can is expected to come and do whatever they can.

• Love 18
4 hours ago, sATL said:

I know it was probably no picnic for Bill to stay at the in-laws a couple more days, but to put the entire family though that , just so she can work, seemed a little unfair.

I lived through that nightmare. I live in Fl and evacuated to GA to our son's house. I couldn't wait to get home. We left son's house to go back home a day too early which of course we didn't realize until we were on the road in the mess of traffic. To make matters worse, it was impossible to find a gas station open that still had gas. Talk about stress. Most of us had no power which meant no A/C when we finally did get home. It was Sept and still 90 degrees in Fl. I completely understand what Bill and Jen were going through. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Is it the media or are hurricanes becoming more frequent in Florida? They may have dodged this one, but how many more over the next 20 years?

There has been increased activity of more substantial storms. This is combined with an increase in pressures on state and local governments to request funding and resources earlier than needed has left many feeling like there is an emphasis on these storms as of late. You'll hear that the governor is declaring a state of emergency. This used to be reserved until during or after the event. However, now states do this so that communities can request help without waiting on the process. Not only does this free up funds, but it can be as simple as getting enough gasoline in reserve for chain saws and work trucks. If they make these declarations, it is always followed by evacuation orders for those in the direct path. That is newsworthy. 

Because of the 24/7 news cycle, we do see more of the preparation, duration, and aftermath. It used to be that a weather person in another part of the country would mention the storms briefly and you might get a little b-roll footage or still photographs of the damage. That was about it. However, our world has become smaller with 24/7 news, social media, etc. Each network and outlet sends its own crew to cover each and every storm. Those crews are instructed/ordered to get more than the obligatory shots of people boarding things up, long lines, someone standing in the rain and wind, and someone standing in front of a house with a tree on it (or other damage). 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

Plus, if she was expected back at work and her colleagues were returning, then I could see how she could feel pressure to also be there, especially as a newbie.

Maybe she was expected back but I agree with sATL 's opinions since she has not actually practiced in the Neo dept. in a long time.   

Besides TLC is the leader when it comes to fake manufactured scenarios and drama.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Is it the media or are hurricanes becoming more frequent in Florida? They may have dodged this one, but how many more over the next 20 years?

Irma was a different kind of monster of a storm.  In addition to it being the most powerful and largest storm ever recorded, no one could get a track on where it was going, so unless you were in the panhandle of Florida, you had to be concerned about where it was going.  The track shifted over and over in the two to three days before landfall and no one knew for sure what to do or where to go.  One day the track was up the east coast, the next it was up the west, then the next day it was going up the middle.  It shifted literally every twelve hours or so.  I'm on the SE coast of the state and it was nervewracking deciding what to do.  And the geography of the state combined with the track made evacuation even more difficult because there was only one option in terms of what direction to go: north.  Other than back roads, there are like three major north/south highways for millions of people.  Usually, hurricanes  come from the east or west and go across the state, so you can drive north, but not so far north that it's a pain to get back or south depending on where you are to get out the way, but you couldn't do that with Irma because it was coming from the South moving North.  It takes up to 10 hours to drive north out of South Florida to the state line or to get to a point where you can drive east or west.

Jen and Bill are further north, so they didn't have to go as far as others.  But yeah, Irma was a different beast.

• Love 6

My brother lives inland on higher ground in St Pete in a rancher & chose to stay in his house thru the storm. Many of his neighbors  did the same.  Luckily they barely had any damage & never lost power.  A tree did go over & snag his cable lines but it was an easy fix for him & his neighbor. 

Didn't Bill say that Jen's aunt weathered out the storm in their house? He showed the picture she took of their dock & how the water in the bay got sucked out.  I wish they would have shown more pictures or interviewed her aunt about how she made out in the storm.

ETA:  I don't mean to downplay the severity of the storm at all because my brother fared well. As  @KBrownie posted, this was a different kind of storm & they didnt know where it would land.  Luckily my brother's choice to stay worked out for him but I realize the outcome could have been much worse as it was in a lot of places. 

I loved how they altered Jen's construction vest for her  My son is an architect & wears the same safety items when he visits sites so it all looked familiar.  That was a good idea that they brought some of the sim equipment in to see how it would fit while the building is being constructed. As head of the program, she deserves her corner office & can't wait to see it when it's done. 

• Love 4

As a Floridian who lived though Irma I understand why they wanted to get back. The uncertainty for one. The worry about your house trumped the worry about the drive. If their house did have water damage they needed to start dealing with it asap. Even without water damage, just the mold risk from no A/C for days was bad. And this was 4 days later. I would have been in the car on day 2 , 18 hour drive or not. There was traffic like that for more than a week after. You can only wait it out for so long and there was no way to know just how bad it would be any given day. I live in Orlando but my kids live right near Jen. They evacuated to my house and went home the next day. They were without power for 10 days or so.

I remember going to dinner at Disney a week later and they wouldnt give me a milkshake because very little milk was coming into the state, and they were saving it for babies. My Orlando community was without power for 9 days, with the  exception of my house  and a feeothers that are tied in to the power grid of a water treatment facility.

Edited by JennyMominFL
because it was a mess
  • Love 9

I can certainly understand the need to return home as quickly as possible.  I would do the same, job or no job. 

Jen is first and foremost a doctor and the well being of the people that may need her help was probably a huge concern.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, sATL said:

My comment was focused on the rushed experience back home than leaving out before the storm hit. Let the kids enjoy grandparents for a few more days.

I'm sure Bill didn't enjoy the drive back that particular day, at that time. He looked worn out. I felt bad for him. Then after all of that, you find the entire county is without power and you had to go to a hotel, probably in the next county, - which I am surprised had an available room.

But in all of that - once again, we have to hear about her work, as the priority. What could have been a little more joyful trip back home, turned into almost a nightmare.

If Jen needed/wanted to get back, then why not fly back (airports are normally one of the first to get back on an operational schedule) and let the family come when the traffic southbound/eastbound died back out a little and after you accessed the what happened at home?  She would have been home in a couple of hours all refreshed to go to work, and therefore she would have been happy. Two days wait could have been all that was needed for the car drive. News had been saying since the storm hit that gas and other supplies were low not to mention  road arteries were blocked due to structural damage and fallen trees.

I know it was probably no picnic for Bill to stay at the in-laws a couple more days, but to put the entire family though that , just so she can work, seemed a little unfair. I wouldn't have wanted to put my family on a 17 hr car journey that just so I can get to work.  Safety of family first. job second.

I'm sure they both wanted to get back asap to check on the state of their new home.  Also, as someone else said, if all your co-workers are returning to work, she can't really just take several more leisurely days and loll around at her parents house.  If Bill really, really didn't want to drive on that particular day, I'm sure she would have pushed it 1 more day, since they have a great way of discussing things together and coming up with solutions that satisfy them both.

• Love 11

Having lived in South Louisiana for a very long time, I can appreciate their need to get back.  It is so unsettling to live through these storms, or, be away when they happen to your property.  Even with insurance, flood insurance, and sufficient funds, it is not an easy or quick process to navigate, and yes, mold takes over very fast, vendors are busy, things move too slowly.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Cherrio said:

Maybe she was expected back but I agree with sATL 's opinions since she has not actually practiced in the Neo dept. in a long time.   

Besides TLC is the leader when it comes to fake manufactured scenarios and drama.

I was a management analyst at a hospital and was expected to come to work and stay until whenever when we had a major snowstorm in our area.   There are so many support roles even non-medical people can fill when necessary.  I'd imagine  it'd be a huge help to having as many trained medical personnel around as possible to give those who may have had to stay a break and just help in general.  

• Love 11

I don’t get why it was safe for her aunt Barb to stay at their house but not some of all of them....Jen would have known before she left she should be on duty as soon as possible so why leave at all?  Why wasn’t she at the hospital during the hurricane?  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

I don’t get why it was safe for her aunt Barb to stay at their house but not some of all of them....Jen would have known before she left she should be on duty as soon as possible so why leave at all?  Why wasn’t she at the hospital during the hurricane?  

That made no sense to me either, I mean Barb has a home not too far away right ? Who was watching her home ? Were they worried about looters ?   

• Love 6

Yep, fake, staged, lies again. That's what TLC and their talent do. They lie. Including the Kleins.

On another note, Jen does not know how to talk to children. She sounds so uncomfortable and off to me, even when she's talking to her own kids. She's definitely not a natural when it comes to motherhood.

• Love 3

Those 2 things can’t happen at the same time, mandatory means you have no choice doesn’t it?  It seems mandatory when it comes to evacuations means “we wish you would leave but of course if you choose to stay that is ok too”.  Makes no sense.  

And if Barb was there for looters that is a wow moment, yikes!  What is she Superwoman?

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1
On 11/20/2018 at 4:15 PM, Chalby said:

While reading this synopsis, I was reminded of 7 Little Johnstons. Alex went into the hospital for a sleep study as well and that's when we learned how disrupted his nightly sleeping is. What was determined from Will's sleep study?

A screen at the end said it was determined he'd need to wear the CPAP for another year, I believe.

Will took all those sensors and things being put on him like a champ! (I wouldn't be that good of a patient if I had do a sleep study.) I got a kick out of him in this episode...he said some pretty funny stuff!

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Those 2 things can’t happen at the same time, mandatory means you have no choice doesn’t it?  I think mandatory when it comes to hurricanes means “we wish you would leave but of course if you choose to stay that is ok too”.  

And if Barb was there for looters that is a wow moment, yikes!

That whole set-up has me confused as well. The storm was so dangerous the Kleins had to flee to the northernmost part of the state, yet simultaneously tame enough to leave an elderly aunt alone in a massive house? Does not compute.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

Will took all those sensors and things being put on him like a champ! (I wouldn't be that good of a patient if I had do a sleep study.) I got a kick out of him in this episode...he said some pretty funny stuff!

I wasn’t that good as an adult with all those sensors. 😂

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Perhaps Jen should have stayed there and let Bill take the kids to Nai Nai. IMO, their new home looks big enough to withstand a category 6.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Those 2 things can’t happen at the same time, mandatory means you have no choice doesn’t it?  It seems mandatory when it comes to evacuations means “we wish you would leave but of course if you choose to stay that is ok too”.  Makes no sense.  

And if Barb was there for looters that is a wow moment, yikes!  What is she Superwoman?

People stay during mandatory evacuations all of the time. Is Barbara on the beach too, like Jen?  My kids were inland just a few miles and had a voluntary evacuation when people close to the beach had a mandatory one. Its no like cops can get to every door to make sure you leave.  They dont physically force people to leave. I can definitely confirm that the coastal areas of Pinellas county did have mandatory evacuations

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 7

I don't think Barb stayed at the Klein's house - I think stayed in her own home and just went over there to check on the house and snap some pics.

Will was really good with all the sleep study paraphernalia; I doubt I could have managed such tolerance myself.

Zoey is SUCH a little animal lover!  I enjoyed her delight in feeding the birds immensely.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

Is Barbara on the beach too, like Jen?

Jen is not on the beach. She is on a canal. Big difference. Definitely still a flood zone but that is why the house is built up so high off the ground and the garage is underneath. 

57 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

My favorite parts were the feeding of those birds on the dock! Just awesome

I kept thinking, omg, I hope one of those kids don't fall in the water! Could Bill or Jen jump in to help them to safety? Turn your back for a second and they fall in to the water. This is Florida, drownings happen. I'm glad they taught the kids how to swim but still that was a little close to the water, so easy to fall off the dock and Jen did turn her back. It scared me and I wasn't even there. I also didn't notice any gates or barriers to keep the kids from going to the dock on their own when the parents don't notice. All it takes is a split second.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

That whole set-up has me confused as well. The storm was so dangerous the Kleins had to flee to the northernmost part of the state, yet simultaneously tame enough to leave an elderly aunt alone in a massive house? Does not compute.

Also a hotel is good enough for the nanny but not them?

• Love 4
9 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Jen is not on the beach. She is on a canal. Big difference. Definitely still a flood zone but that is why the house is built up so high off the ground and the garage is underneath. 

I kept thinking, omg, I hope one of those kids don't fall in the water! Could Bill or Jen jump in to help them to safety? Turn your back for a second and they fall in to the water. This is Florida, drownings happen. I'm glad they taught the kids how to swim but still that was a little close to the water, so easy to fall off the dock and Jen did turn her back. It scared me and I wasn't even there. I also didn't notice any gates or barriers to keep the kids from going to the dock on their own when the parents don't notice. All it takes is a split second.  

I feel the same way about any kids being around docks.  Zoey & Will seem to constantly run everywhere so I can see them easily falling into the canal water, swim lessons or not. I didn't see a fence either around their dock area.

A few years my husband & I rented a condo that had docks for boaters.  My husband was so tired of me constantly pointing out mainly younger kids that were running around on and near  the docks with no life jackets on.  Like you said, it only takes a split second. 

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I feel the same way about any kids being around docks.  Zoey & Will seem to constantly run everywhere so I can see them easily falling into the canal water, swim lessons or not. I didn't see a fence either around their dock area.

A few years my husband & I rented a condo that had docks for boaters.  My husband was so tired of me constantly pointing out mainly younger kids that were running around on and near  the docks with no life jackets on.  Like you said, it only takes a split second. 

We had a similar situation at the Grand Canyon.  I walked around holding my breath waiting for a toddler to fly over the edge.  

• Love 1
On 11/21/2018 at 2:49 PM, Sasha888 said:

I agree, and I have to note that his behaviour during this study was way more mature than I would have behaved. He clearly understands that some procedures simply need to be endured - kudos to Bill, Jen and Katie (?). I also love how well both kids travel, and from a traveller who cringes when I see small children boarding, I would have a huge smile on my face if I were to see these two. My kids were excellent on planes (but only in response to absolute fear of their crazy mom).

On 11/21/2018 at 2:57 PM, BitterApple said:

My mother is pushing 90 and I know for a fact she will not evacuate her home, mandatory or not. My father was the same way. Some of the older relatives tried to explain to me that if it were their 'time' then so be it. I don't fully understand but I respect their decision and won't drag Mom, kicking and screaming.

• Love 4
On 11/20/2018 at 8:32 PM, sATL said:

hmmm, I guess the 60s was the turning point... LOL ! - I just came across this little tidbit ( link )  - 

"Victoria's Secret was founded by Roy Raymond, and his wife Gaye Raymond in San Francisco, California, on June 12, 1977. Eight years prior to founding Victoria's Secret, in the late 1960s, Raymond was embarrassed when purchasing lingerie for his wife at a department store

Aww, has everyone forgotten that Fredericks of Hollywood has been around since forever? I still remember asking my mother about some of the clothing shown in advertisements that were in the back pages of whatever cheesy magazine my mom bought . Of course, back then she could dismiss the ad by saying, Oh that's only in the USA. LOL

• Love 6