Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

I think very early on the work was a bit more equitable. You can tell that Josh knows his way around a diaper, for instance. But once four girls in a row were born, it seemed, I'm sure, like fate...I mean, God, was telling them something!

• Love 2
uhm, this isn't strictly the duggars, and I'm sure someone's said this. but the silly pop ups on the episodes? need to go. I'm watching Jessa's wedding, and if the paster officated all of the ceremonies, he'd spend 15 hours officiating! not amazing. Like they're always written like it is a shocking fact but it isnt. 

Oh yes please get rid of the popups!  I really don't need to know that if 150 people eventually get married and they have 20 kids each they'll need a pool filled with 20,000 gallons of pudding just to feed them all (totally made up example but reminds me of the popups).

I don't know how far I can go here but all I could think of was:

JimBob - You're my bitch, Ben. Scrub that toilet! Heh heh heh.

Ben - Sir. Yes, sir.

Then he'd tell Ben to scrub *his* toliet.

*crawls back into the prayer closet*

• Love 2
Oh yes please get rid of the popups!

Pretty sure the pop-ups have become a big F-you to the Interwebs. We've been snarking on those for years, and they get more inane by the episode.

• Love 3

I'd be happy if someone in production was sneaking on the kind of pop ups they didn't want us to see: 'if all the adult Duggar kids were payed individually, JB would lose this much money'.

• Love 11

I tried watching Jessa's wedding tonight, in fact tuned in just in time to see Boob walking her down the aisle.  I had to turn it off when their preacher kept saying Ben's name incorrectly.  If you truly knew and loved this young couple, then stop saying "Benjerman!"

Didn't care to watch the "gender reveal."  I think we all may have known already.

And that was it for me.  Please tell me why I work 9 hours a day, then come home to watch a show about a bunch of morons who do nothing, no jobs, no education, no ambition other than to have 300 kids each.  And so I missed "Bubba the dog gets a bath."  I'm sure that was must-see TV!

• Love 2

I tried watching Jessa's wedding tonight, in fact tuned in just in time to see Boob walking her down the aisle.  I had to turn it off when their preacher kept saying Ben's name incorrectly.  If you truly knew and loved this young couple, then stop saying "Benjerman!"

Didn't care to watch the "gender reveal."  I think we all may have known already.

And that was it for me.  Please tell me why I work 9 hours a day, then come home to watch a show about a bunch of morons who do nothing, no jobs, no education, no ambition other than to have 300 kids each.  And so I missed "Bubba the dog gets a bath."  I'm sure that was must-see TV!

It was precious

• Love 1

Darn these Duggars. I went to a get together for the officer who was overseeing the volunteer program last night. He is leaving for Hawaii this week.

I swear I saw two little girls at the pizza place who look like Josie and Mackenzie. And now I feel like a heathen hussy after hugging the officer goodbye after he ask me to. This was no side hug either, and I was wearing jeans at the time.

Darn these Duggars. I went to a get together for the officer who was overseeing the volunteer program last night. He is leaving for Hawaii this week.

I swear I saw two little girls at the pizza place who look like Josie and Mackenzie. And now I feel like a heathen hussy after hugging the officer goodbye after he ask me to. This was no side hug either, and I was wearing jeans at the time.

Hussy!! (and I'm totally kidding)

And now I feel like a heathen hussy after hugging the officer goodbye after he ask me to. This was no side hug either, and I was wearing jeans at the time.

I hope you feel good about defrauding that poor man. Next time you should ask yourself this question: "What would Jim Bob do?" 

• Love 6

I can't remember if this topic has been brought up already on this thread, but does anyone remember years ago, watching Michelle during her pregnancies moan and groan about having morning sickness all the time? And the only thing she could do is eat protein to help, or something like that. It's as if she was bragging about having morning sickness and was proud of it for some strange reason. 

• Love 1

Are Boob and MEchelle still imagining that they're going to have more children?

Michelle's stash of pregnancy tests points to yes. She'll never, ever admit it to herself. I think Josie drove her to the cliff, and Jubilee pushed her over. It's helium-voiced freefall from here on out.

• Love 5

I think the 'and counting' now includes counting the grandkids

Yeah, then aren't we now at 23 kids and counting? How about '19 Kids Growing Up'? Or maybe 'Duggar Family: Superior to Yours' ?

JoanArc is probably right -- no one wants to mess with Michelle's very fragile grip on reality.

• Love 6

I will say the "I delivered every one of them" line is going to have to change, because it's starting to sound weird.

I wonder if they adopted how would Michelle and JB treat that child. Technically she wouldn't have delivered an adopted child.

Are they ever going to change the name of the show? Are Boob and MEchelle still imagining that they're going to have more children?

With god anything is possible

• Love 1

Not quite sure where this belongs but would love to know some of your opinions on this - seems to come up quite a bit how annoying the Duggar poor grammar, mis-use of language etc is. Agreed! Also a few posters have noted that Jessa seems to have an "enhanced" southern accent in recent episodes.

I know someone who uses poor grammar, "down-home" speak, yet is the only one of her siblings (all in same northern geographic area, similar education, age etc) to do so. She is deeply involved in her church. I have wondered if perhaps she was trying to use that language to portray herself as humble.

Listening to some of the Duggar interviews posted in the media thread I think there are examples of the older Duggar kids, Jchelle and JB being more... well-spoken (in the mildest form of the word), using correct grammar in comparison to what we see on the show and in some of their public moments. I wonder if they are using simpler and incorrect language in a way to appeal as a humble, simple people, in the same way they profess to buy used, just manage to get by, etc.

Definitely there are circumstances where yes, they are using an incorrect word, and definitely appears unintentional, but is all of it unintentional?

• Love 3

I think that Jim Bob and Michelle are much smarter than we give them credit for. I think that they know their audience and like most people, they adjust themselves accordingly. When you're around certain friends you present yourself differently, and most of the times it's unintentional. You adjust accordingly. I think that as far as their vocabulary and grammar goes during certain appearances, I think that's an example of them knowing their audience and how to present themselves. When I have to give presentations or present to my boss, you'd better believe I'm pulling out the best words and grammar I can muster up. If I'm just in the staff lounge or around my family, I'm going to be a little more lazy.

As far as Jessa goes, I think that's just her being around Ben and his family/copying what they do. It's also kind of trendy to sound more "country." I know a guy who tries to sound like he's from the country while we have both lived in St. Louis for our entire lives. He's not fooling anyone and I feel so much satisfaction when he slips sometimes and speaks in a normal accent for our region.

Not quite sure where this belongs but would love to know some of your opinions on this - seems to come up quite a bit how annoying the Duggar poor grammar, mis-use of language etc is. Agreed! Also a few posters have noted that Jessa seems to have an "enhanced" southern accent in recent episodes.

I know someone who uses poor grammar, "down-home" speak, yet is the only one of her siblings (all in same northern geographic area, similar education, age etc) to do so. She is deeply involved in her church. I have wondered if perhaps she was trying to use that language to portray herself as humble.

Listening to some of the Duggar interviews posted in the media thread I think there are examples of the older Duggar kids, Jchelle and JB being more... well-spoken (in the mildest form of the word), using correct grammar in comparison to what we see on the show and in some of their public moments. I wonder if they are using simpler and incorrect language in a way to appeal as a humble, simple people, in the same way they profess to buy used, just manage to get by, etc.

Definitely there are circumstances where yes, they are using an incorrect word, and definitely appears unintentional, but is all of it unintentional?

Interesting idea. Personally I'm not sure they're ever intentionally "dumbing down" their language - I don't think they realize how inarticulate they sound - but it's certainly possible. I do think there have been instances in the past when maybe a crew member corrected them or said "Oh, I think the word you want here is well instead of good..." Something like that. But in more recent years, I have also gotten the distinct impression that TLC is deliberately showing the Duggars to their disadvantage. Boob's mini-golf "sex lesson" stands out obviously, and Anna's toilet birthing of Michael is right up there as well. But I can recall being surprised on numerous other occasions, thinking "I can't believe TLC is actually airing this..."

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

It's actually called code-switching and most people who are able to do it don't realize (or often realize after the fact or during it) that they are falling into other speech patterns. I can code switch into Appalachian English, Pittsburgh English, evangelical English and Washington English without even thinking about it. Simply depends on whom I'm with.

• Love 7

I will say the "I delivered every one of them" line is going to have to change, because it's starting to sound weird.

It can't go, that's Michelle's claim to fame!  It will go over her dead body (let's hope not literally).  

Did anyone else notice her heart beat momentarily stop right after Jill announced she was pregnant and Jim Bob suggested Jill might actually break her record of birthin' out babies since she was off to such a rapid start?  I thought Michelle was finally gonna snap that time.  Just start screaming uncontrollably, lol.  

It's comin' !! 

• Love 2

I would doubt they speak the way they do intentionally as far as diction and vocab go, but obviously I can't prove it. I also think they lack self-awareness about how they come across to others. (Let's face it: if Michelle had any self-awareness, it seems highly unlikely she would say or do 90% of the things she says or does.) I do think their intonation/voice pitch is intentional per Gothard "keep sweet" rules and/or their desire to be seen a certain way by others. In Michelle's case, I think the steady rise in her pitch is also attributable to her increasing mental decompensation. They clearly don't realize that saying things like, "the last time I went camping, a bear was clawing at the tent, and the experience was *horrifying*" in a high-pitched, cloying voice (Anna) makes them seem insane to the rest of the world.

• Love 2

Code switching is also used depending on who you are talking with.  I talk to my colleagues differently than when I am doing a presentation.  Which is different than when I am speaking to friends.  My speech can also change depending which friends I am talking to - work friends vs. longtime friends; straight English vs. Spangllish.  Most people do this unconsciously; they adjust their speech pattern, vocabulary, and syntax to fit the social situation they are in. 

• Love 3

I have commented on this before, but I definitely think Jessa has been exaggerating her accent recently. And JB and JChelle did get "real" educations, compared to what their kids got (uneducated teachimg the clueless), so it's no surprise that they often seem more intelligent.

It has sounded weird to me for awhile. I hope they change it soon. You can tell what she means, but it sounds like she's saying she delivered Anna, Derick, and all of Josh and Anna's kids. I guess soon she'll have delivered little Israel too. If you're starting to claim in-laws and grandkids, it's time to modify the intro.

Dh says that when I get off the phone with my family I speak much faster & louder (we are from the Chicago area but live in the south now). I don't even notice I do it. Maybe being arounf Bin she is unconsciously imitating him?

Code switching is very real, and I have no doubt that the Duggars do it, but I also think they really are that stupid at grammar and usage. On the recent episode when they were updating the jurisdictions, Joy's checklist contained a glaring punctuation error--I think the apostophe was missing on a possessive noun--and I can't imagine they'd intentionally send that detail out there when they're the public face of homeschooling.

• Love 5

Code switching is very real, and I have no doubt that the Duggars do it, but I also think they really are that stupid at grammar and usage. On the recent episode when they were updating the jurisdictions, Joy's checklist contained a glaring punctuation error--I think the apostophe was missing on a possessive noun--and I can't imagine they'd intentionally send that detail out there when they're the public face of homeschooling.

That's interesting, the code switching..I am quite sure I do it, or I should say I catch myself doing it. In my case, it seems to be reflecting the people I'm around at the time...my work friends, my son and his friends, my boyfriend, and my close friends I grew up with. It's not done on purpose, with the exception of speaking to a family member about a patient...I have to remember that a family member isn't going to understand 'medical speak' and I have to find language that's understandable to non-medical people. I've even caught myself using traces of a southern accent...I'm from Philadelphia, but I lived in KY for 11 years, my son was born in KY, and was there for the first 8 years of his life.

Does the code switching include the goddamn baby voice? Ug. They need to stop that mess. It's like nails on a chalkboard. I can just imagine them visiting Philly and speaking with that baby voice. We can be loud and somewhat crude. A south philly accent is rather harsh, perhaps that's why I can't stand her (Michelle, I mean) baby 'keep sweet' voice...

Edited by phoenix62
  • Love 1

Does the code switching include the goddamn baby voice? Ug. They need to stop that mess. It's like nails on a chalkboard. I can just imagine them visiting Philly and speaking with that baby voice. We can be loud and somewhat crude. A south philly accent is rather harsh, perhaps that's why I can't stand her (Michelle, I mean) baby 'keep sweet' voice...

I'd pay good money to hear Michelle speak in nothing but a south philly accent for an entire show.

• Love 2

In one of the Little House books, Laura's mother tells her to keep her voice gentle and low -- then she quotes Shakespeare. So I guess the idea that women should always use quiet, sweet voices goes back a ways, but reading Shakespeare has somehow dropped out along the way.

:-)

• Love 2

In one of the Little House books, Laura's mother tells her to keep her voice gentle and low -- then she quotes Shakespeare. So I guess the idea that women should always use quiet, sweet voices goes back a ways, but reading Shakespeare has somehow dropped out along the way.

:-)

Shakespeare's difficult to understand even for the moderately educated - can you imagine this gang trying to tackle it? Most of his bawdy jokes would go right over their heads. Except "beast with two backs," that one's hard to miss.

So much amazing literature they're missing out on, but that JB and Michelle were probably not deprived of as kids. That's one thing that annoys me. Even if stuff like Shakespeare is too bawdy for them, Anne of Green Gables, Caddie Woodlawn, Little House, etc., are all very wholesome. Of course, most of the girls in those books are encouraged to educate themselves and be independent, and we can't have that.

Was reading some Harlem Renaissance poetry the other day and it occurred to me that without understanding the context in which it was written (requiring at least a cursory knowledge of black history), much of those beautiful words would be pretty meaningless to the Duggars.

• Love 2

Code-switching... I've never heard the term. I was born in Tennessee and learned to talk there before moving to the DC area at age 6. I don't have an accent anymore but I've been told my southern drawl comes out when I swear. Is that the same thing :-)

• Love 1

I was born and raised in sc, I moved to Indiana in 2012. My husband says when I talk to my family or friends from sc my "southern charm" starts to come out. But when I go visit my family says I've changed to a "yankee". I've noticed I change according to who I'm speaking to

My dad used to travel all over for work when we lived on the East Coast, and my Mom could tell specifically where he was by the change in his accent. Maybe it comes more naturally for some than others?

Separate note, that poor dog looked entirely freaked out when he went for his bath. I couldn't really tell if he didn't know the Duggars at all or the circumstances were just too weird for him, but I felt bad. I notice the tormented cat that Derick tried to run down with a sled was in there too, so I guess it does in fact belong to the Duggars. I cringed when the little popup said they've had 15 pets over the years of filming. Poor critters. I love animals and that just makes me sad.

• Love 2