Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

I always wonder if they say what they think they are supposed to and do what they want to "in private".  Jill posted that she was listening to a sermon, but, was she really?  Good point about the car.

I think she was listening to a sermon.

First, she's is a real kool-aide drinker

Second, she and Derick barely know each other. From her perspective, Derick married her because she was a good, Godly girl. I think she would be scared to death to do anything that might lead Derick to believe that she spent even one minute of the day doing something that wasn't directly related to: thinking about Jesus, thinking about Derick, or thinking about babies.

That would be one of my many peeves about the Duggars. I think that they are all terrified of saying anything that might out them as less than perfect Christians -- that's why we hear all the platitudes and Gothard-speak. They've been on TV for 10 years and I don't think we've heard one honest unfiltered word come out of their mouths.

• Love 2

I think she was listening to a sermon.

First, she's is a real kool-aide drinker

Second, she and Derick barely know each other. From her perspective, Derick married her because she was a good, Godly girl. I think she would be scared to death to do anything that might lead Derick to believe that she spent even one minute of the day doing something that wasn't directly related to: thinking about Jesus, thinking about Derick, or thinking about babies.

That would be one of my many peeves about the Duggars. I think that they are all terrified of saying anything that might out them as less than perfect Christians -- that's why we hear all the platitudes and Gothard-speak. They've been on TV for 10 years and I don't think we've heard one honest unfiltered word come out of their mouths.

OMG - spot-on analysis. Except for those moments in the hospital when Boob was realizing that Mechelle could actually die if the doctors didn't get Josie out - 4 months early. That was the one single moment in 10 years that looked truly genuine to me. Like "OMG, we really can't JUST pray on this one..." Even the whole Jubilee situation looked somehow off to me - in a way I can't quite pinpoint - but it did.

• Love 3

They might have Sirius XM in their cars set to religious music stations and/or podcasts. Or Creed CDs (although maybe Creed is too secular for them, heh). Although I bet one of them, at least once, found themselves tapping their foot to a catchy pop song in the grocery store, with most of the innuendo going over their heads. And maybe one of them has a secret pop song they love without anyone else knowing.

Your last sentence is pretty grim - they're so clueless they don't know they're clueless.

Welcome Earl Grey tea. I know this wouldn't happen but what if one of the kids started singing along to a pop song in the car? Boob would drive into a ditch.

• Love 3

Welcome Earl Grey tea. I know this wouldn't happen but what if one of the kids started singing along to a pop song in the car? Boob would drive into a ditch.

Lmao. The visual is very funny. I imagine much of the innuendo would go straight over their heads anyway. Like when I was a child and listening to Rick James' "Mary Jane" and thinking it was actually about a girl named Mary Jane. Thank you for the welcome :) Glad to be here.

• Love 1

As we are a season behind in Australia, we are only just seeing the countdown to Jillick's wedding. On a pre-wedding double date with JB &M, M goes through a workbook with Jillick on marriage. One of the questions is about financial stuff. JB starts asking his own questions about debt, what would Derek do, would he use a credit card, why he didn't have college debt, all sorts of stuff. He passed JB's test without really answering the question.

This really annoyed me because in earlier episodes they clearly showed buyers at the family car yard filling out loan forms. So while the Duggars may not go into debt themselves, they have no problem making money out of others going into debt with both the profit on the sale of the car and the commission made on the loan. The inconsistencies drive me mad.

WHY is it that Australia is a season behind?  So is the UK.  This goes for most cable AND network shows.  It's not like their satellites are a year behind on receiving their signals.

Australia represent! I'm in the same boat and its super frustrating!  The other thing that bugged me about the auction was that they bought used mattresses. Maybe it is just me but I would much rather shell out the money for a new mattress and they certainly have the money.  

And also, the stupid little notes like "In their lifetimes the Duggars will eat enough frozen yogurt to fill a swimming pool".  NO ONE CARES HOW MUCH FROZEN YOGURT THEY EAT.  

IF and ONLY IF they are super sanitized and sealed in plastic then I don't see a problem here but NONE of the furniture they bought at the auction was sealed in plastic.  That's just a lice/bedbug nightmare waiting to happen.

I wonder how they avoid music when they grocery shop? It makes me wonder if any of them turn on the radio in the car. They are a bunch of dullards. I was flabbergasted that even outside of the grip of Jim Bob and Michelle, Jill would rather listen to propaganda than venture outside her bubble and listen to music.It just goes to show how brainwashed she is.

I'm pretty sure MEchelle is VERY familiar with the old tune "I want to sex you up".

OMG - spot-on analysis. Except for those moments in the hospital when Boob was realizing that Mechelle could actually die if the doctors didn't get Josie out - 4 months early. That was the one single moment in 10 years that looked truly genuine to me. Like "OMG, we really can't JUST pray on this one..." Even the whole Jubilee situation looked somehow off to me - in a way I can't quite pinpoint - but it did.

You don't actually mean to imply that anything more than prayer was needed for their little miracle do you?????

• Love 3

Who knows why we are so far behind.  It probably has something to do with the fact that it is only on Foxtel (you guys might call it cable?  Basically not free-to-air) and there really aren't very many people in Aus compared to the USA and there is only a tiny, minuscule fraction that actually watch the Duggars.  This may not be the same in the UK but Aus has a big problem with the whole comes-out-months-later thing and heaps of people just illegally download stuff rather than wait for it to be on TV, especially since we don't have Netflix. 

When I saw about how 4 million people watched Jill's wedding, I realised that 1/6 of Australia's population watched Jill marry DerrickDillard and that was rather scary. Rather than get on my nerves, the Duggars just freaked me out with that little fact. 

WHY is it that Australia is a season behind?  So is the UK.  This goes for most cable AND network shows.  It's not like their satellites are a year behind on receiving their signals.

Well, in all fairness the US has to wait for Downton Abbey and Real Housewives of Melbourne. It must be a foreign licensing thing.

• Love 4

Lmao. The visual is very funny. I imagine much of the innuendo would go straight over their heads anyway. Like when I was a child and listening to Rick James' "Mary Jane" and thinking it was actually about a girl named Mary Jane. Thank you for the welcome :) Glad to be here.

I worked with a lady many moons ago who said her daughter had to explain the meaning of "spread your wings & let me come inside" from Rod Stewart's "Tonight's the Night" to her. Maybe Boob sings that to MEchelle......(Ugh - pass the brain bleach please)

• Love 3

Well, on the flip side, I could say there are some really great ministers and sermons being done out there that 99% of America is never going to hear because they are to busy listening to pop music. :)

Well, on the flip side, I could say there are some really great ministers and sermons being done out there that 99% of America is never going to hear because they are to busy listening to pop music. :)

That's true :). But I think for me the difference is that we have the choice to do it, and we know these sermons exist. The Duggars are so isolated that they're probably never heard of someone like Marvin Gaye and even if he did, his heathen music would send them running. Which is tragic. Hell, his song titles alone would be enough to make their hair curl, lol.

P.s. I was recently looking for new podcasts and the amount of sermon and ministry ones was boggling. It's truly a whole world out there that I didn't know existed!

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 1

Of course if he's walkin' the walk he would have no way of knowing and he'd think the kid composed it, lol.

• Love 1

I know there are NUMEROUS things that annoy us about this group, but do we have to continually hear even multiple times in an episode those idiots, Jessa and Jill, having to "recap" their updated statuses so often? I can hear Jessa now, saying " I am now married to thedashingbenseewald, and I haven't been fully 'effed' yet" and Jilly Muffin giggling " I now have been 'effed' by derickdillard successfully, and this is crazy!" .. Sorry to be a bit "salty" here, but it's grating on the nerves. You know that is what they are really saying...

• Love 3

Do Boob & MEchelle think back to their frugal days & thank the Lord that TLC came along & rescued them? I know they still would have had the same number of blessings because in their world, God provides. They don't seem to realize that kids cost money to raise. They may have finally finished the TTC but it would have been furnished with their already second hand furniture. Yes, they could have gotten more at auctions, but it still takes money to pay for the items. Feeding that growing circus costs money too. Instead of even Tator tot casserole, franks& canned beans or Boob's famous bbq tuna would be staple meals. Trips to the thrift store for clothes wouldn't have been as frequent as they were post TLC. New clothes, as they are used to now, wouldn't even be in the picture. They wouldn't have had as many lap tops, desk computers or cell phones. MEchelle may have had to buckle down & teach everything from the STDRT. So yes, TLC saved them from a world of near poverty existence and we have been blessed by their "ministry" in return.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 2

Watching a recent episode, I finally put my finger on what drives me so crazy about this bunch: they are BORING. And I say that not because they're simple, clean-living, small-town folks--heck, those words describe many of my best friends--but because they NEVER HAVE ANYTHING REMOTELY INTELLIGENT OR INTERESTING TO SAY ABOUT ANYTHING. (Someone remind me again--why am I watching?)

When you discover that mystery of the universe, please let me know so I can cure myself.  My direct tv contract runs out in a few months.  That may be the cure. 

I was driving from Calif to NY one time and hit Oklahoma on a Sunday morning.  There was nothing on the car radio but preachers.  I thought I'd lose my mind.

That is a state you never want to have to drive through on a Sunday. 

• Love 1

I was driving from Calif to NY one time and hit Oklahoma on a Sunday morning.  There was nothing on the car radio but preachers.  I thought I'd lose my mind.

When this happens to me I always tell myself, "THIS is why God invented the iPod..." With some earthly assistance from Steve Jobs, of course - :>)

• Love 4

I know there are NUMEROUS things that annoy us about this group, but do we have to continually hear even multiple times in an episode those idiots, Jessa and Jill, having to "recap" their updated statuses so often? I can hear Jessa now, saying " I am now married to thedashingbenseewald, and I haven't been fully 'effed' yet" and Jilly Muffin giggling " I now have been 'effed' by derickdillard successfully, and this is crazy!" .. Sorry to be a bit "salty" here, but it's grating on the nerves. You know that is what they are really saying...

Agree - this is really irritating. But I blame this much more on TLC and the increasingly-crappy editing done on this show. Like the two-hour wedding, when we heard OVER and OVER again from Boob "I just can't believe I'm giving my little girl away..." OMG - move on, Boob! Could it actually be possible that the Duggars are broken records and say so little that's new - on camera? That TLC has no choice but to broadcast the same dreck all the time? Part of me says no, and part of me wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was actually the case. That they just don't say ANYTHING new...

• Love 1

It's probably a case of having nothing to say.   If you have no intellectual curiosity, know nothing about the world outside your own family, never go anywhere except in your own insular group, you don't have a lot to talk to about.   No input limits the output.

• Love 7

I watched the episode where Michelle drove the excavator today. What gets me is, in her TH's, she uses this quiet voice like she is explaining things to a bunch of five year olds. Its like she's talking down to the whole viewing audience and drives me nuts. However, when she has to speak up, like when she was talking to John David, its in this screechy, squeaky voice.  Both voices irritate the hell out of me, so I hate it whenever she opens her mouth. 

Also, every time she talked about Jessa and Ben, she had to preface it with "Jessa is marrying Ben Sewald", like we haven't heard it 10,000 times already.  As someone stated above, they rehash the same shit over and over again. Why do I subject myself to these morons?!!! 

• Love 1

Yes, I would like to know why Michelle's natural voice and that awful screechy laugh are that way? She is so annoying to listen to and watch in that fake "I'm interested" fake voice and laugh...You know she really doesn't give a care about anything but what's up with herself.....

I'm pretty sick of Michelle saying "I just blinked and..." Yeah we get it, Michelle, you just blinked and one you woke up with a boatload of kids and husband who goes out of his way to embarrass you.

Seriously, in the talking heads Michelle seems to have the expression of "What the he'll happened to my life?" fairly often. It might just be me, though.

• Love 2

I just read the small article in the Parade magazine about Julianne Hough from Dancing with the Stars. She was raised Mormon & wasn't allowed to watch PG13 movies. When her parents went out she would sneak & watch Grease, dancing around with her brothers & sisters. We all did "not allowed" things when our parents weren't around. I'm not talking about them sitting around smoking (even tho I laugh when I picture that) just something simple like dancing or skipping Bible Study. I don't think the Duggar kids would ever do anything like that when Boob & MEchelle went out. Besides Snitch Jilly being in control, it's probably been drilled in their heads that God will strike you down or at the least, you would be shown to the Prayer Closet if you even thought of doing something not allowed. No wonder the kids are the way they are. (I'm sure Grandma would have looked the other way & stayed in her room, allowing the kids to do their thing, within reason.)

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 1

I'd guess there are things, but you have to remember where they start. Things such as "I ate a pork hot dog" or, "we went through Starbucks without asking permission" could be seen as really rebellious.

When growing up, my parents forbade us from watching tv shows like Three's Company and others. As soon as we had time alone, the first thing I did was watch them. Ditto for R-rated movies. It's surprising to me that none of the 19 (that we know of) has any inclination to rebel, even a little.

This is so superficial but something that has been bugging me are the haircuts on Derick and Ben. And I'll throw in Derick's scraggly/baldy looking (?)beard too. Derick looks like a grown up version of an orphan out of Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist. And Ben, well...helmet-head.

• Love 4

Keep in mind that while there's no kissing or hugging, Jessa (and the other girls!) are allowed to "do" Ben's hair all they want for appearances sake. I imagine the helmet hair is a result of his hair being "done" a lot.

Derick's hair is the opposite. Jill doesn't need to take care of it now, and he, obviously, could care less.

• Love 1

Keep in mind that while there's no kissing or hugging, Jessa (and the other girls!) are allowed to "do" Ben's hair all they want for appearances sake. I imagine the helmet hair is a result of his hair being "done" a lot.

Derick's hair is the opposite. Jill doesn't need to take care of it now, and he, obviously, could care less.

I'm just glad we don't have to watch them zhuzh their hair anymore.

I'm just glad we don't have to watch them zhuzh their hair anymore.

Amen to that! I keep having flashbacks of when Joy was fixing Ben's hair on the engagement episode. Her well endowed girls were right in his line of vision.

Ben's helmet hair reminds me of the Lego guys. Think people used the same reference for Boob's hair. Like father, like son-in-law.......

• Love 2

Amen to that! I keep having flashbacks of when Joy was fixing Ben's hair on the engagement episode. Her well endowed girls were right in his line of vision.

Ben's helmet hair reminds me of the Lego guys. Think people used the same reference for Boob's hair. Like father, like son-in-law.......

Funny. Now it's Ben's turn with his family jewels in Joy, Jessa & Jason's face.

• Love 2

This is so superficial but something that has been bugging me are the haircuts on Derick and Ben. And I'll throw in Derick's scraggly/baldy looking (?)beard too. Derick looks like a grown up version of an orphan out of Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist. And Ben, well...helmet-head.

Agree. I know it's "the look" these days, but I don't like these five-o-clock-shadow beards a lot of kids Derick's age have now. You can't tell if the boys are starting a beard, just got back from a few days in the woods - or are just plain unkempt and sloppy. Either grow a full beard and keep it nicely-trimmed - or shave. Make a decision - you're an adult now. Well, legally anyway.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

re:hair. Derricks is strange. He needs a different do, to get away from the Frankenstein look. I wish he'd be nice and totally clean shaven too. Too much scruff.

But Jilly likes the scruff this way so I guess he's staying with it.

Agree. I know it's "the look" these days, but I don't like these five-o-clock-shadow beards a lot of kids Derick's age have now. You can't tell if the boys are starting a beard, just got back from a few days in the woods - or are just plain unkempt and sloppy. Either grow a full beard and keep it nicely-trimmed - or shave. Make a decision - you're an adult now. Well, legally anyway.

My 25 yr old son also sports "the look" but in his defense, he's been doing it for years out of laziness (from his college days) & he usually just does it on weekends. During the week for work he trims it up or is clean shaven but it drives me nuts though. When he was going on job interviews last summer, the first thing that came out of my husband's mouth was to make sure he was clean shaven. We've commented on Ben's having the same look & I think he went with it after seeing Big Brother Derick, even tho it is the "in thing". Edited by Barb23
  • Love 2

I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but OMG, all of the disposable plates/cutlery, when eating at home!!  why!! don't they have half a dozen dishwashers?

As we are a season behind in Australia, we are only just seeing the countdown to Jillick's wedding. On a pre-wedding double date with JB &M, M goes through a workbook with Jillick on marriage. One of the questions is about financial stuff. JB starts asking his own questions about debt, what would Derek do, would he use a credit card, why he didn't have college debt, all sorts of stuff. He passed JB's test without really answering the question.

That drove me nuts!  He just kept saying 'well no matter what, I won't go into debt' without any explanation of how.  That isn't how it works!  You can plan ahead, and be in a great financial situation, but things can still go terribly wrong and you can run out of money.  You don't just decide not to go into debt, and then it is so.

• Love 8

They don't need half a dozen dishwashers because they would still use paper plates and cutlery.  They have 2 industrial dishwashers, IIRC, and must put the cook wear in them.  I myself use a lot of paper plates, not plastic cutlery, and do so because there is just me and the dog.  I am in a place with an extremely small kitchen and almost no work area.  Makes it hard to do dishes, no dishwasher.  The plates I have came with the rental and I don't use them.  Too big and heavy and awkward to wash.  And with one paper plate a day for me and one for the dog, I think I'm still fine with the environment.  What bugs me are these extremely low flow toilets that don't get rid of stuff and low flow showers.  I normally take very short showers and low flow doesn't cut it.  I like to get in, get out, and that's that.  Instead you waste time fiddling around to get a fair stream of water going.  

• Love 3

I gather that Jess likes the scruffy look as well. I can say that both guys look grubby with this style, like they haven't bathed. After seeing both of them clean shaven, I definitely prefer that look over this scruffy look. Ick

• Love 2

... irk me that his/their "modesty" standards are arbitrary. I still remember when they paraded into the fire department in knee length skirts to ask the guy if they would be okay instead of the loose fitting uniform pants they were supposed to wear. 

I agree and I find that the length of their skirts have changed with the years. I remember when the boys dressed in the same colours, as did the girls along with ankle length skirts. Then they started shortening the skirts, and piling on the makeup. Now between makeup, fussing with hair, shorter skirts and snugger tops, well why not just wear pants? It would probably appear more modest wearing pants. I have noticed that Anna still can't dress herself for the show. The miss-patched patterns of tops and skirts is embarrassing. I guess now that she has a husband it doesn't matter any more.

• Love 2

And why should they if they believe their faith is true? I'm a Christian and I don't sit around studying Buddhism.  I'm fairly familiar with them all because I have an interest in such things, but it's not as if it's going to change my mind.

How can you consider yourself a Christian if you are not educated about other religions. I think the true Christians are the ones who are fully aware of what other faiths offer and purposely choose Christianity. Being a Christian by default of ignorance is not something to be proud of.

I think the Duggars would say....faith.

....anything that deviates from it...well...deviates from it. 

How would they know what 'deviates' from their faith without first studying other religions? The more people study other faiths, the more they realize the commonality between faiths.

Hands down, the thing that bothers me the most about the Duggars is the embarrassment I feel when Jim Bob thinks he's being funny. His humour is so immature, it's like his personality was arrested at age 10. Sure Michelle tries to laugh off some of his comments, but I can't help but think the more stupid he appears, the more it's a reflection on her as a person. Nothing is funny about being uneducated, and misinformed. I just can't understand why the kids don't rebel. (Unless they are afraid they will be cut off from the Duggars' money).

• Love 7

I don't know about the faux Duggar husbands but I know when I, ahem, dated in the younger end of the sea a few years back several guys did the scruff trying to appear a couple of years older. It worked well for some & I appreciated it personally. And with that admission I probably need to be sent away to the punishment camp.

ETA: I mean the husbands are faux Duggars not faux husbands. I don't want to be locked in the cellar at camp.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 1

Did God tell the Duggars to use Josie as a prop to sell their anti-abortion spiel to the masses because God got rid of the evil beings fighting to take Josie's life? 

Interestly, the Duggars are against any medical intervention that would allow women a 'choice' regarding her pregnancy. However, they welcome medical intervention to force a child to live beyond their life expectancy. Personally, I welcome medical intervention for everything because I figure if a higher power made man smart enough to assist, then why not? I do not pick and choose when faith should intervene.

• Love 1

If I was Derrick, I would be petrified.  No amount of preparation could prepare you for the fact that within 3 months he got married, moved out of home with a girl he had never spent any alone time with and is expecting a baby.

I wonder if Derrick had ever hoped to live in another foreign country. He seemed to love Nepal and adapted quite quickly. With Jill getting pregnant right away, he might not have any other options available now. I can't see Jill wanted to live elsewhere. Poor guy - he went from being worldly to being cuckholded.

• Love 1

It's not in me as a person, especially a pro-choice person who believes her body is her own and her choices are her own and who also believes, as a Christian, that both the babies she had at 26 and the one she had at 42 were gifts from God, to tell anyone, even Michelle Duggar, what to do with own body.

I agree totally. However, I have no problem telling women not to have babies they can't raise.

• Love 3

Who knows why we are so far behind.  It probably has something to do with the fact that it is only on Foxtel (you guys might call it cable?  Basically not free-to-air) and there really aren't very many people in Aus compared to the USA and there is only a tiny, minuscule fraction that actually watch the Duggars.  This may not be the same in the UK but Aus has a big problem with the whole comes-out-months-later thing and heaps of people just illegally download stuff rather than wait for it to be on TV, especially since we don't have Netflix. 

When I saw about how 4 million people watched Jill's wedding, I realised that 1/6 of Australia's population watched Jill marry DerrickDillard and that was rather scary. Rather than get on my nerves, the Duggars just freaked me out with that little fact. 

In the US we are one season behind with Downton Abbey.  Some agreement was reached that the program had to be show completely in the UK before it could be seen here.  Last year I was in England and got to see a few episodes before any of my friends in the states did (including Anna's rape!).  So perhaps it's the same sort of thing for 19 KaC.

When you discover that mystery of the universe, please let me know so I can cure myself.  My direct tv contract runs out in a few months.  That may be the cure. 

That is a state you never want to have to drive through on a Sunday. 

We have satellite radio.  Tons of choices!

I think the hair may have something to do with it, but everytime I see Ben (Sewald, ya know) and Derrick's brother (don't know his name) I am reminded of Mose, Dwight's cousin on The Office. It cracks me up.

• Love 4

My 25 yr old son also sports "the look" but in his defense, he's been doing it for years out of laziness (from his college days) & he usually just does it on weekends. During the week for work he trims it up or is clean shaven but it drives me nuts though. When he was going on job interviews last summer, the first thing that came out of my husband's mouth was to make sure he was clean shaven. We've commented on Ben's having the same look & I think he went with it after seeing Big Brother Derick, even tho it is the "in thing".

Yeah, I know the look you're referring to. It's one thing to have the 2 day growth "thing" and maintain it with clippers vs the scraggly look Derick is sporting. He's got bald patches in there and his growth is more like "week old". He can't carry off the look properly bc he can't grow a proper beard due to lack of facial hair. My brother has the same problem -- he doesn't have enough facial hair and should just maintain a clean shaven look. My husband, on the other hand, can grow a beard by just thinking about it, lol! He can sport the look in a day or two and grow a full thick beard in three weeks, though he goes completely clean shaven these days bc it's more professional for his job.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 3

The #1 most irritating thing about the Duggars is that they are raking it in for being ignorant and irresponsible. They are anti higher education, think women should be subservient to men, think the only role for a woman is to pop out numerous babies, allow their children no freedom to think for themselves, enforce archaic courtship rules, make their older daughters raise their younger children, are careless with weapons and animals, are homophobic, intolerant, and arrogant.

And for all this they are handsomely rewarded by TLC, which views them as a cash cow.

I would love to see a reality show called "2 kids and done" featuring a family in which education is valued, boys and girls are treated as equals, kids are allowed to choose their own friends, pets are loved, there are no guns lying around, and other people's viewpoints are respected. Other than The Little Couple, that kind of breath of fresh air is sorely lacking on TLC.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 18