Type keyword(s) to search

Loathesome!: Characters We Hate

• Start Topic

On 1/22/2018 at 5:41 PM, Miss Dee said:

...I'll be interested in your take on the second season.

So I'm now all caught up on Season 2 of This is Us (thanks, Amazon!) and my opinion on Kevin is...

... nope, sorry, still hate him. I hate his "blame everyone but myself" routine, his icky disapproval of his mom's personal life, his stalker-ish behavior towards his ex-wife (who he had cheated on, by the way), his bed-hopping, his self-indulgence, his self-pity, his child endangerment, OH MY GOD, HE'S DON DRAPER AND BOJACK HORSEMAN ROLLED INTO ONE!

And why is he so easily forgiven all the time? Why? If my brother ever spoke to me the way he did Kate and Randall, I would cast him out of my life without a second thought!

• Love 1
On 1/30/2018 at 4:16 AM, Pippin said:

Sanctimonious self-absorbed asshat Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory.  I f*cking hate, hate, hate loathe and despise that little dick.  He's not funny, he's mean.  He knows damn well he's an asshole and glories in it.  And his spineless friends bow down before him, put up with his BS and are generally terrified to cross him.  Why, I don't know.  Just once I'd like to see someone really sock it to him and have it stick.

The hate, it is real.

Co-sign on the Sheldon hate.  I was put off him for good after the episode in which he was accused of sexual harassment, tried to turn it around on the investigator by accusing her of sexual harassment by questioning him about the alleged incident (thus making him feel uncomfortable), and finally made his assistant write a formal apology for him because "my time is too valuable to waste on such trivia" -- and his assistant had been the one to complain in the first place!

It's pretty sad when I think that Sheldon's mother (a Bible-toting conservative Christian) is cooler and more open-minded than her son could ever be.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 9

I hated Connor on Angel.

Yes, I KNOW he had a horrible childhood.  I KNOW he was messed up and manipulated by dozens of people he trusted.  But he, like so many other characters, used the victim card to justify his awful behavior.  Him blaming Angel for everything got old really fast, and it was frustrating when you realize that Angel was one of the few people that loved Connor without having an agenda (unlike Holtz, Posessed!Cordy, and Jasmine), and yet Connor kept rejecting him at every single turn.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I hated Connor on Angel.

Yes, I KNOW he had a horrible childhood.  I KNOW he was messed up and manipulated by dozens of people he trusted.  But he, like so many other characters, used the victim card to justify his awful behavior.  Him blaming Angel for everything got old really fast, and it was frustrating when you realize that Angel was one of the few people that loved Connor without having an agenda (unlike Holtz, Posessed!Cordy, and Jasmine), and yet Connor kept rejecting him at every single turn.

Connor, Kevin Pearson, Don Draper, and Bojack Horseman could all be in the support group for loathsome, naval-gazing, woman-using narcissists who use their pathetic childhoods as an excuse for their shitty behavior.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Connor, Kevin Pearson, Don Draper, and Bojack Horseman could all be in the support group for loathsome, naval-gazing, woman-using narcissists who use their pathetic childhoods as an excuse for their shitty behavior.

I was about to say that I didn't think Connor fit the category for "woman users" -- and then I remembered how he constantly rubbed that twisted toxic relationship with Cordy in Angel's face. So never mind, you were right on the money.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I was about to say that I didn't think Connor fit the category for "woman users" -- and then I remembered how he constantly rubbed that twisted toxic relationship with Cordy in Angel's face. So never mind, you were right on the money.

I'm rarely accused of being "right on the money", so I will cherish the compliment, Spartan Girl. :)

• Love 1
On 1/30/2018 at 2:26 PM, Thrifty said:

I always hate those slimy promiscuous guys on TV shows.  Sam on Cheers, Barney on How I Met Your Mother, Joey on Friends and Joey, Russel on Rules of Engagement.  They use women like they were sex toys, throw them away, and every other character is like "Aw shucks.  That's our buddy Whathisname."  It ruins these shows for me, and it makes me hate the other characters by association for calling this jerk their friend.

Oh I forgot to mention.  I only dislike these characters if they are treated sympathetically.  If they are portrayed as rotten people, I like it.  For example, Dennis Reynolds on Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

• Love 6
On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, Thrifty said:

Russel on Rules of Engagement

Russell's more of a grey area for me.  We were meant to laugh at him and think he was ridiculous, but then there'd be moments when we were meant to have some sympathy too.

• Love 2

Jughead - I just don't get the facination. He's so insufferable even more so since that cringey Serpent crap took over the show. Don't even get me started on the creepy Bughead obsession.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 2
On 2/2/2018 at 8:44 AM, Tanichka said:

know this isn't popular, but, Karen from Will & Grace.  So over the top & unsympathetic.

Oh, hell yes.  And Jack, too.  A pair of prime arseholes who are supposedly amusing and witty.  Not.  They are another example of characters who constantly cross the line and suffer no consequences for truly outrageous behaviour and we're supposed to find their jackassery funny.  Blech. And yuck.  Sick of it, I am.

• Love 12

April Nardini and Rory Gilmore, Gilmore Girls -- April because she was a way for Amy Sherman-Palladino to break up Luke and Lorelai just for the sake of the drama and later years Rory just because she was so entitled and damn comfortable in Richard and Emily's world. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I could write a whole post on why I hate Lorelai Gilmore, but I think Emily summed it up perfectly in their fight after Richard's funeral in A Year in the Life:

While Emily definitely had her faults and  contributed  to the family's problems I agree she was spot on here! Oh, and I have to agree with you why Lorelai is so unpleasant (and, let's just say that I've had folks in my life like that I've done my best to avoid).

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Pippin said:

Oh, hell yes.  And Jack, too.  A pair of prime arseholes who are supposedly amusing and witty.  Not.  They are another example of characters who constantly cross the line and suffer no consequences for truly outrageous behaviour and we're supposed to find their jackassery funny.  Blech. And yuck.  Sick of it, I am.

Karen, I get. She has money. People will put up with a lot of bad behavior if there is money soothe hurt feelings. Jack is broke, dumb, and charmless. I know Karen bankrolled some of his stupidity, but not all of it. People should have been slamming doors in his face left and right.

6 hours ago, Blergh said:

While Emily definitely had her faults and  contributed  to the family's problems I agree she was spot on here! Oh, and I have to agree with you why Lorelai is so unpleasant (and, let's just say that I've had folks in my life like that I've done my best to avoid).

The thing that gets me about this scene is that Lorelai is acting like it was completely reasonable that she had no idea that she might be expected to say something at her father's funeral. Has she never been to a funeral? Talked to someone who has been to a funeral? Seen a funeral depicted on tv or a movie? Read about one in a book or a magazine? We know none of this is true. It's so typically her. Lorelai is oblivious and immature. Also Richard was amazing. Shut up Lorelai.

• Love 10

I know I've already posted this before on this thread, but I have really come to despise Marge Simpson.  Everything from her grating voice to her "goody-goody" cover for her passive-aggressive bitchery gets on my nerves.  She's not the saint everyone makes her out to be, and I'm sick of how the other characters act like she's Princess Perfect.

• Love 3
On 2/5/2018 at 4:28 PM, proserpina65 said:

Russell's more of a grey area for me.  We were meant to laugh at him and think he was ridiculous, but then there'd be moments when we were meant to have some sympathy too.

Well, I only watched 2 episodes of the show, so maybe I have a sampling error.  But he is played by David Spade, and it's hard to picture him as a ladies man.

My sister was a big fan of Gilmore Girls but I only watched it in passing.  I remember it being very exhausting to watch because everyone spoke like an auctioneer on meth.  I got heart palpitations trying to keep up.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Thrifty said:

Well, I only watched 2 episodes of the show, so maybe I have a sampling error.  But he is played by David Spade, and it's hard to picture him as a ladies man.

I agree with that.  But if I remember correctly, a lot of his 'ladies' man' rep was boasting and not actually true.  Still, there was a lot about his character worth hating.

• Love 1

I hated CJ on 8 Simple Rules (speaking of David Spade).  I wish they had cancelled it after JOhn Ritter's death.  

I hate Ross on Friends.  He's just so annoying and always plays the victim.  No, Ross, you saying Rachel's name at your wedding and then going on your honeymoon with her, does not make Emily a paranoid, jealous basketcase.

I hated Joey and MIchelle on Full House.  Joey was just too juvenile and MIchelle too spoiled.

I hate Amy on The Big Bang Theory.  I just do.  I don't know that I have a reason.

• Love 7
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, Thrifty said:

Barney on How I Met Your Mother

Yes, yes, 1,000 times yes.  I forgot about him because I don't really like the show as a whole.  But, he's just so smarmy.  No, Barney, women weren't put on earth merely for you to figure out how to have sex with each one of them.  I hate Robin,too.  And, I'm not supercrazy about Ted or Lily. So, I guess basically Marshall was the only one I even somewhat liked which probably explains my dislike of the show in general.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yes, yes, 1,000 times yes.  I forgot about him because I don't really like the show as a whole.  But, he's just so smarmy.  No, Barney, women weren't put on earth merely for you to figure out how to have sex with each one of them.  I hate Robin,too.  And, I'm not supercrazy about Ted or Lily. So, I guess basically Marshall was the only one I even somewhat liked which probably explains my dislike of the show in general.

By the end, I hated everyone on the show except for The Mother. She deserved better.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Katy M said:

ate Ross on Friends.  He's just so annoying and always plays the victim.  No, Ross, you saying Rachel's name at your wedding and then going on your honeymoon with her, does not make Emily a paranoid, jealous basketcase.

To be honest I hated the Emily era because I thought the Friends all came off as assholes in a click. The writing off Emily as a villain who was being mean to Rachel and possessive of Ross was such an eye rolling cop out.

This brings me to my dislike of Rachel. She was such a selfish brat. Rachel went to London with full intention of ruining Emily's  wedding. She was an asshole. She only ever wanted Ross when he was happy with someone else ie Julie and Emily. Same as she suddenly was into Joey when he was with Charlie. Not to mention was a total bitch she was to these women whenever they were around. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Chas411 said:

To be honest I hated the Emily era because I thought the Friends all came off as assholes in a click. The writing off Emily as a villain who was being mean to Rachel and possessive of Ross was such an eye rolling cop out.

This brings me to my dislike of Rachel. She was such a selfish brat. Rachel went to London with full intention of ruining Emily's  wedding. She was an asshole. She only ever wanted Ross when he was happy with someone else ie Julie and Emily. Same as she suddenly was into Joey when he was with Charlie. Not to mention was a total bitch she was to these women whenever they were around. 

I hate when characters do this. They break up with someone or are secretly in love with someone. But that person starts dating someone else. So naturally they act like a bitch to the new boyfriend or girlfriend and often to the person they supposedly want. And no one calls them on it. We're suppose to think 'poor Rachel' Ross is dating someone else. Not 'you broke up with him! You chose not to date him anymore. He's free to date who ever he wants. Grow up and find someone else.  

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Chas411 said:

To be fair, Rachel decided she was interested in Joey before he got with Charlie. But she was a bitch to Charlie, and to every woman Ross ever dated except Mona. But Ross was also a complete tool about anyone Rachel dated, even after they'd not been in a relationship for six years. As a couple, they were dreadful.

• Love 10

OK, I'll just say that the ONLY character I'd liked on Friends was Phoebe but by the time I had to quit watching   even she had become snotty, mean and jaded (and her bearing her brother's and sis-in-law's triplets just to cover up Miss Kudrow's actual pregnancy was just too awkward). I tried to rationalize it that she'd gotten corrupted by her acquaintances' 'tudes but it still was sad to see her become one of 'them' and when the show's 'saving grace' becomes almost as unlikable as the others one can barely endure, that's when needs to quit the show .   Ironically, I think had Phoebe stayed homeless and never hooked up with the others, she'd have stayed a good, caring and helpful (albeit flaky) person.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I hate when characters do this. They break up with someone or are secretly in love with someone. But that person starts dating someone else. So naturally they act like a bitch to the new boyfriend or girlfriend and often to the person they supposedly want. And no one calls them on it. We're suppose to think 'poor Rachel' Ross is dating someone else. Not 'you broke up with him! You chose not to date him anymore. He's free to date who ever he wants. Grow up and find someone else.  

It's even worse when it's the engaged character acting like a bitch or tool to their ex, rubbing their new relationship in their ex's face and so clearly trolling them for some jealous reaction.

• Love 3
On 2/1/2018 at 1:46 PM, Thrifty said:

Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation was just a jerk.  Selfish, cruel, and hypocritical.  But everybody just treated him like some lovable old curmudgeon.

I always thought he was the only thing that made that show watchable.

1 hour ago, spaceytraci1208 said:

Steven Hyde on That 70's Show. The more I watch reruns, the more he turns me off. He's smug for no reason and is oftentimes a pretty shitty friend. 

The recent charges against the actor don't help either. I liked the show, but I'll probably never look at it the same way again.

• Love 3
On 2/24/2018 at 5:48 AM, Chas411 said:

On 2/24/2018 at 8:50 AM, andromeda331 said:

And then there was the time that Ross and Rachel actually DID get married in Las Vegas, and she FORCED him to have the marriage annulled because she didn't want to be married to him at that time. 

Monica was right about that being one of Rachel's worst faults -- she could never make up her mind as to what the hell she wanted when it came to Ross.  And NO, Rachel, Ross didn't cheat on you after you insisted on "taking a break."  By definition, there was nothing for him to cheat ON after you'd made it clear that you wanted nothing more to do with him, much less continue to be in a committed relationship with him.  Granted, he showed poor judgment by going out and banging the first woman he met only hours after the breakup, but how was he supposed to know that you'd change your mind within 24 hours of wanting to call it quits?

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Because she's Rachem?  I mean, Rachel?

Well, and to be fair, Ross's own paranoid jealousy over Rachel's working relationship with Mark was what led to that whole mess in the first place.  Phoebe was right when she surmised that Carol's betrayal of Ross and their marriage had so badly damaged him that he found it impossible to trust any woman to stay faithful to him, so he continually acted like the jealous idiot in order to keep himself from ever getting hurt like that again.  It took a good talking to from Phoebe who pointed out what the root of Ross's paranoia was for Ross to finally accept that not all women were like Carol and that he could trust women to stay faithful.  That's why he and Rachel eventually stopped fighting the inevitable (albeit long after everyone else had gotten sick of the constant mindfuckery) and finally did work things out in the last episode.

• Love 4

Hated characters?  I have a few….

Franklin Mumford (My Wife and Kids) – Jesus Butterball Christ, just hearing his voice made me want to run amok with a machete.  And it is never cute when kids turn out to be the voice of reason, FOH with that.

Rose Nylund (Golden Girls)/Synclaire James (Living Single)/Jessica Tate (Soap) – I so hate stupid women, being scatterbrained is never cute and no way would I ever be friends with these heiffas.

Theo/Denise Huxtable (The Cosby Show) – Two of the most selfish entitled assholes ever.  Theo wasn’t all that cute in my opinion and the way he treated his friends was a trip, from not visiting a sick friend in the hospital to his almost ending a friendship with someone because the girl he was interested in (never mind he was with Justine at the time!) liked his friend.  And Denise?  Chile I ain’t got time to go down the list.

Max Shaw (Living Single) – I never found it funny how she treated Kyle, bitch wanted a good man but when he was presented in front of her she would always show her ass. 

• Love 1

I only watched Friends for a few years, and almost never watch an episode in syndication, so my memory is fuzzy: I thought Rachel suggested they take a break, but he later called her and they made up/said they wanted to work on their relationship/something like that (the content of the call is what I'm really fuzzy on), but then he heard Mark in the background and got on his usual jealous, insecure bullshit and hung up on her, and that's when he went out and slept with someone else. 

I can't say I hated any of the characters (although I very much hated Ross and Rachel's relationship, and was so angry when I tuned back in for the series finale and saw that she gave up Paris for him), but I didn't like any of them, either, which is why I quit watching.

42 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I only watched Friends for a few years, and almost never watch an episode in syndication, so my memory is fuzzy: I thought Rachel suggested they take a break, but he later called her and they made up/said they wanted to work on their relationship/something like that (the content of the call is what I'm really fuzzy on), but then he heard Mark in the background and got on his usual jealous, insecure bullshit and hung up on her, and that's when he went out and slept with someone else. 

I can't say I hated any of the characters (although I very much hated Ross and Rachel's relationship, and was so angry when I tuned back in for the series finale and saw that she gave up Paris for him), but I didn't like any of them, either, which is why I quit watching.

Not quite.  Rachel told him that she wanted to take a break during a fight between them that broke out after he'd gone too far in trying to undermine her working relationship with Mark due to his paranoid jealousy, so he then went out and slept with someone else because he thought she'd just made him a free man. It wasn't until after he'd done that that Rachel told him that she'd changed her mind and wanted to be his girlfriend again, which is when he confessed to having slept with someone else in the interim (despite being warned by Joey and Chandler not to tell Rachel anything -- which got them in trouble with Phoebe and Monica, who were trapped with Joey and Chandler in the other room while Rachel and Ross were fighting and had been forced to listen to the whole thing as a result).

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

So what do they say to each other on that phone call, then?  Because it started out conciliatory, and then he heard Mark in the background.

Rachel: Hello.

Ross: Hi! It’s me.

Rachel: Hi! Oh, I’m so glad you called.

Ross: Really? I’ve been thinking, this is crazy, I mean don’t, don’t you think we can work on this?

Mark: Hey, what do you want to drink?

Ross: Who’s that?

Rachel: Nobody.

Mark: Is it okay if I finish the apple juice?

(Rachel mouths ‘Shoot!’ or something similar.)

Ross: Is that Mark?

Rachel: Umm, honey, look he just came over to....

[Cut to The Philly.]

Ross: Yeah! Got it! (slams the phone down, and walks back to the bar.)

(edited)
11 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

It wasn't until after he'd done that that Rachel told him that she'd changed her mind and wanted to be his girlfriend again, which is when he confessed to having slept with someone else in the interim (despite being warned by Joey and Chandler not to tell Rachel anything -- which got them in trouble with Phoebe and Monica, who were trapped with Joey and Chandler in the other room while Rachel and Ross were fighting and had been forced to listen to the whole thing as a result).

Ross didn't tell Rachel that he slept with the copy girl. If I remember correctly Ross, Chandler and Joey tried to figure out the trail of people that could lead to Rachel finding out. They wanted to make sure that Rachel wouldn't find out so they went through the whole trail and ended up at Central Perk where Gunther had just told Rachel about it. After that Ross and Rachel fight in the apartment while the rest of the group is trapped in the bedroom.

Edited to add: The phone call that slf posted in the previous post was in the evening. After that Ross slept with the copy girl. There was another phone call between Ross and Rachel the following morning where she told him that she wanted to get back together with him which is why he asked Chandler and Joey for advice and they ended up following the trail trying to make sure that Rachel wouldn't find out about the copy girl.

Edited by paulvdb
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Ross didn't tell Rachel that he slept with the copy girl. If I remember correctly Ross, Chandler and Joey tried to figure out the trail of people that could lead to Rachel finding out. They wanted to make sure that Rachel wouldn't find out so they went through the whole trail and ended up at Central Perk where Gunther had just told Rachel about it. After that Ross and Rachel fight in the apartment while the rest of the group is trapped in the bedroom.

Edited to add: The phone call that slf posted in the previous post was in the evening. After that Ross slept with the copy girl. There was another phone call between Ross and Rachel the following morning where she told him that she wanted to get back together with him which is why he asked Chandler and Joey for advice and they ended up following the trail trying to make sure that Rachel wouldn't find out about the copy girl.

To be fair to Ross (and how I hate saying that), he wanted to tell Rachel, but Chandler and Joey talked him out of it.  Of course, he didn't have to listen to them, so . . .

On ‎02‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:42 PM, Katy M said:

No, Ross, you saying Rachel's name at your wedding and then going on your honeymoon with her, does not make Emily a paranoid, jealous basketcase.

Exactly.  Why Emily actually went through with the wedding and didn't lay Ross out flat like Duckface did to Charles in Four Weddings and a Funeral, I'll never understand.

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:
11 hours ago, paulvdb said:

To be fair to Ross (and how I hate saying that), he wanted to tell Rachel, but Chandler and Joey talked him out of it.  Of course, he didn't have to listen to them, so . . .

Exactly.  He didn't have to listen to them.  He's an adult and responsible for his own decisions.

• Love 4

I’ve decidedly to add Raj Koothrapali of TBBT on my hate list.    He’s selfish, whiny, manipulative , and treats women like objects most of the time.  And he knows it and revels in it.

• Love 10