Type keyword(s) to search

Loathesome!: Characters We Hate

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I remember a clip where one of the girls was saying something about how her dad had a heart attack, I think it was, because she had sex? Or something to that effect? It was a real, "WTF?" sort of thing. If the show's arcs were as repetitive as you describe, though, I get the feeling the conversation in that clip wouldn't have made any more sense in context :p.

Grace thinks her father had heart attack and died because she had sex. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

Secret Life was never a so bad it's good type of show. This was "So bad I can't believe anyone greenlit this show, or that it had enough ratings to grant four *more* seasons, like were teens that starved for anything talking about this topic that they were willing to overlook all of the glaringly stupid technical writing behind it?" It got too tedious to even watch for snark.

Pregnant teens were really in vogue back then.  What with Teen Mom, 16 and Pregnant, etc.  Hollywood was looking for anyway to glamorize that.  I have no idea why.

• Love 6

Potentially controversial but: Homer Simpson for the last 20 years and/or Peter Griffin over the last 15 years. Both characters were caring and carefree, had heart, warmth, wit and pathos and were very amusing, long ago. Now Homer has become a dumb and toothless shadow of his former self and Peter has become a spiteful, violent arsehole with no redeeming features; they are like humour vacuums who suck all fun from any room they play in. Both shows desperately need to be cancelled.

Edited by Pindrop
  • Love 6

This one certainly will be controversial: Rick from Rick and Morty. There is something at the core of his character that feels like an author-surrogate, and that part of the character I find intensely smug and self-satisfied, and above all he is the ultimate Hipster- so desperate is he to be subversive at all times. I noticed it in Season 3, but I am finding him increasingly cringe-inducing and try-hard, or dare I say it, somewhat of a juvenile edgelord. 

Edited by Pindrop
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Pindrop said:

Potentially controversial but: Homer Simpson for the last 20 years and/or Peter Griffin over the last 15 years. Both characters were caring and carefree, had heart, warmth, wit and pathos and were very amusing, long ago. Now Homer has become a dumb and toothless shadow of his former self and Peter has become a spiteful, violent arsehole with no redeeming features; they are like humour vacuums who suck all fun from any room they play in. Both shows desperately need to be cancelled.

You're right about Homer, but I think Marge has become even more unbearable than he is. They have turned her into such a whiny, dumb little twat.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

You're right about Homer, but I think Marge has become even more unbearable than he is. They have turned her into such a whiny, dumb little twat.

I can't blame Marge's character for it though. Marge was always relegated to the straight-man role, against Homer's buffoonery. When the comic runs out of material, the straight-man has very little to riff off. 

• Love 2

I thankfully haven't watched South Park in years (Dubya was still President the last time I watched), but am I safe in assuming that Stan is still a sanctimonious, narrow-minded little brat, and that Cartman is still an unfunny, nightmarish sociopath?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I thankfully haven't watched South Park in years (Dubya was still President the last time I watched), but am I safe in assuming that Stan is still a sanctimonious, narrow-minded little brat, and that Cartman is still an unfunny, nightmarish sociopath?

Yeah, but Gerald, Kyle's dad, is giving Cartman's sociopathy a run for his funny.

5 hours ago, Pindrop said:

I can't blame Marge's character for it though. Marge was always relegated to the straight-man role, against Homer's buffoonery. When the comic runs out of material, the straight-man has very little to riff off. 

They don't need to make her such a ninny that she finds such joy in ironing garbage bags and untossing a salad.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:
10 hours ago, Pindrop said:

I don't watch Family Guy but I disagree strongly about Homer and Marge.  They were brainless idiots when the show started  and existed as minor foils for Bart, who was the clever, snarky, fuck-you main character who had the bulk of the dialogue and was the winner in every conversation.   The show has focused more on the parents for at least the last 20 years and softened and humanized their characters accordingly.  (I'll be sorry to see the Simpsons go, when it does, but I agree that it's felt strained for years now.)   For better or worse I think that happens on most TV shows if they continue long enough.  MASH is a good example - Hot Lips was a bitchy uptight figure of fun in the beginning (as she was in the movie) but developed into a sympathetic character who was  loved as a friend by Hawkeye and the others.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I don't watch Family Guy but I disagree strongly about Homer and Marge.  They were brainless idiots when the show started  and existed as minor foils for Bart, who was the clever, snarky, fuck-you main character who had the bulk of the dialogue and was the winner in every conversation.   The show has focused more on the parents for at least the last 20 years and softened and humanized their characters accordingly.  (I'll be sorry to see the Simpsons go, when it does, but I agree that it's felt strained for years now.)   For better or worse I think that happens on most TV shows if they continue long enough.  MASH is a good example - Hot Lips was a bitchy uptight figure of fun in the beginning (as she was in the movie) but developed into a sympathetic character who was  loved as a friend by Hawkeye and the others.

You think? The show was certainly set up with Bart as the main character, but around season 3 Homer moved up to A plots as regularly. I only watched religiously up until Season 8 (when the rot set in), but from the later episodes I have seen it seems to have become The Homer Show. In fact, most of the strongest episodes I can think of had a Homer A plot. 

Edited by Pindrop
  • Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:25 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Fuck Brenda Hampton.  Seriously.

She reminds me of the Coach in Mean Girls with her idea of teenage sex. Don't have sex or you'll die. Except her version is don't have sex or you'll get pregnant and die! Except less funny and more stupid and your not entirely sure she doesn't believe it or knows how anything works. Brenda Hampton's Don't have sex or you'll get pregnant or your father will die! Don't have sex and use TWO different kinds of birth control or you will get pregnant AND your baby will die! 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Pindrop said:

Peter Griffin is the worst father ever. I never understood why Stewie wanted to kill Lois but if Meg wanted to kill Peter I'd consider it justifiable homicide. 

• Love 20
23 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I never thought of Bart as the main character of The Simpsons, not even in the beginning. 

He was the one that got most of the media attention when the show first came out for being such a bad influence of bad example for kids, which seems utterly preposterous now looking back when you consider other shows that have some long with far more troublesome child characters (Cartman on South Park most prominently).  But in reality the show from the beginning was a family ensemble and if anyone was more the focus of the show, it was Homer. 

Homer has always been a brainless dolt.  Marge not so much. 

• Love 3

The Simpson family as a whole always seemed the main character, to me.  Even in the show's fledgling seasons, all family members (except Maggie, of course), had A-plots; Moaning Lisa, Homer's Odyssey, and Life On the Fast Lane were first season episodes.  Bart was the snarky character with catchphrases who appealed to kids, so they marketed him accordingly, but I never thought the show focused solely on Bart, it was always an ensemble.  The Simpson family vs. the world, so to speak.

Anyway, here is a UO: sometime around season nine or ten, Lisa Simpson became the character I loathed.  So sanctimonious and preachy.  Before then, she was believable as a character with passion and convictions, but then, she could not shut up about what other people shouldn't be doing.  I haven't watched the show in years, so I don't know if she is still like that, but it's a shame that my very favorite character from the start of the show became a finger-wagging stereotype.  I was the same age as Lisa when the show started, and it was awesome to see a young, female character be so forward-thinking and intelligent.  What happened?

Edited by Sweet Summer Child
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

The Simpson family as a whole always seemed the main character, to me.  Even in the show's fledgling seasons, all family members (except Maggie, of course), had A-plots; Moaning Lisa, Homer's Odyssey, and Life On the Fast Lane were first season episodes.  Bart was the snarky character with catchphrases who appealed to kids, so they marketed him accordingly, but I never thought the show focused solely on Bart, it was always an ensemble.  The Simpson family vs. the world, so to speak.

Anyway, here is a UO: sometime around season nine or ten, Lisa Simpson became the character I loathed.  So sanctimonious and preachy.  Before then, she was believable as a character with passion and convictions, but then, she could not shut up about what other people shouldn't be doing.  I haven't watched the show in years, so I don't know if she is still like that, but it's a shame that my very favorite character from the start of the show became a finger-wagging stereotype.  I was the same age as Lisa when the show started, and it was awesome to see a young, female character be so forward-thinking and intelligent.  What happened?

Yes, Lisa was unbearable, and to return to Peter Griffin being an arsehole, she directly spawned Meg and the years of abuse that followed.

All characters: Oh God, just watched the first two episodes of Paradise PD. Are we done now? Is the adult cartoon genre saturated? Are literal shit jokes for 20 minutes funny as an adult?  Can this derivative shit please fuck off? 

• Love 2
On 10/7/2016 at 9:42 PM, DearEvette said:

But NCSI:NOLA just added this new FBI character played by Vanessa Ferlito who is just horrible. She is humorless, has resting bitch face and just needlessly adversarial.

I was reading old forums on a rainy day and just came across this one.  I've seen Vanessa Ferlito in other roles and she has the same resting bitch face and she cannot act.  I don't understand how she gets roles.  

I don't know if he's been mentioned before but I haaaated Michael Scott in The Office.  I wanted him to trip on something and crack his skull.  I don't think the others would have minded at all calling an ambulance to take him to the morgue.

• Love 3

Paula on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.  She is not only an enabler, but she kept egging on Rebecca because she was living vicariously through her love life.  So it kind of pissed me off that Paula played the victim on the last season finale when she found out Rebecca had manipulated her into breaking into Trent's stuff.  Yeah, what Rebecca did was wrong, but Paula had zero problems breaking and entering and spying on people when it was to help Rebecca snag Josh, so...

I also hate Trent because he's a stalking douchebag.  Yeah, Rebecca was a stalker too, but at least she finally recognized it and owned up to it, whereas Trent has not.  And no, Trent doesn't get brownie points for being "decent" on consent.  "Decent" does not involve blackmailing a girl into dating you, regardless of whether or not sex is involved.

• Love 3

So I just finished binge watching Midnight, Texas on Hulu.  The show is cheese to the max but it was a fun binge full of pretty people.  Most of the characters/actors I really enjoyed.  And even though I thought the show had a high cheese factor, the storytelling and the entire main plot arc over the whole season was actually deployed really well.

But then there is a character named Creek.  She is the love interest of the main character.  He falls in love with her like a nanosecond after meeting her and I have no idea why.  She has no personality.  She soo bland.  I mean, cat on the show had more personality than she did.  She had a really good story arc and I felt nothing for or from her during it.  The actress did not sell me on anything.  I ended up hating her so hard because we had to spend time on her (lack of) emotions and I felt like the main hero guy was wasted on her. 

• Love 3

This is totally random, and really old, but for some reason I absolutely hate Mary Ellen on the Waltons.  And while I'm at it I hate Adam on Little House on the Prairie.  He's all mopey when he thinks Mary's going to get her vision back, but then when he actually does get his back, he's totally dismissive of any feelings she may have about  it. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Katy M said:

This is totally random, and really old, but for some reason I absolutely hate Mary Ellen on the Waltons.  And while I'm at it I hate Adam on Little House on the Prairie.  He's all mopey when he thinks Mary's going to get her vision back, but then when he actually does get his back, he's totally dismissive of any feelings she may have about  it. 

I hated Mary Ellen too. Also, Erin, JimBob and JohnBoy. And sometimes Elizabeth.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I hated Mary Ellen too. Also, Erin, JimBob and JohnBoy. And sometimes Elizabeth.

I disliked Mary Ellen.  But I liked the rest, except maybe Ike’s wife.

Speaking of Adam’s, I didn’t care for Adam Cartwright, and for some reason I also disliked Jarod Barkley.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Speaking of Adam’s, I didn’t care for Adam Cartwright, and for some reason I also disliked Jarod Barkley.

Yeah, Cora Beth was nuts.  I didn't like her either.  Adam was way too arrogant for my tastes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Yeah, Cora Beth was nuts.  I didn't like her either.  Adam was way too arrogant for my tastes.

I can't believe I forgot about Cora Beth! She was horrible. I disliked John Boy he always seemed like he thought he was better then everyone else. They also kept treating him like he was suppose to be so smart but he never really came off any smarter then the rest of his siblings.

• Love 2

Winchester and BJ on Mash.  I only watch the first few years, with Henry and Trapper John.  I liked Trapper's accent.  Henry was lovable.

Mary Ellen Walton always reminded me of my sister-in-law, whom I've never gotten along with very well.

Bernadette on the Big Bang Theory annoys me.  Her baby voice is irritating.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I can't believe I forgot about Cora Beth! She was horrible. I disliked John Boy he always seemed like he thought he was better then everyone else. They also kept treating him like he was suppose to be so smart but he never really came off any smarter then the rest of his siblings.

He was definitely the golden boy.  I remember when Mary Ellen went to take the nursing test she failed because she didn't know geometry or algebra or some kind of math.  Olivia said "well that's ridiculous.  Not even John Boy learned that" (paraphrasing even though I used quotes).  Well, gee, Olivia, maybe a nurse needs more science and math skills than a writer.  Ever think of that?  

Actually, that's one of the few times I really felt for Mary Ellen.  By no real fault of her own she was woefully unprepared, but for once instead of whining, she went and helped out another nurse in exchange for tutoring and persevered.  So, only time I'll say it Whoo-hoo, Mary Ellen.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Winchester and BJ on Mash.  I only watch the first few years, with Henry and Trapper John.  I liked Trapper's accent.  Henry was lovable.

Winchester was fabulous.  There was so many layers to him, and DOS acted w/such depth.  RIP sir.

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

He was definitely the golden boy.  I remember when Mary Ellen went to take the nursing test she failed because she didn't know geometry or algebra or some kind of math.  Olivia said "well that's ridiculous.  Not even John Boy learned that" (paraphrasing even though I used quotes).  Well, gee, Olivia, maybe a nurse needs more science and math skills than a writer.  Ever think of that?  

Actually, that's one of the few times I really felt for Mary Ellen.  By no real fault of her own she was woefully unprepared, but for once instead of whining, she went and helped out another nurse in exchange for tutoring and persevered.  So, only time I'll say it Whoo-hoo, Mary Ellen.

That was so stupid! Well Olivia he didn't get a degree in nursing. Maybe nursing has different requirements then journalism? Just a thought. I did "love" how when something couldn't be done by the parents or the grandparents they'd wonder if John Boy could do it. Really? Four adults can't do it or figure out the problem sure let's ask a teenage boy. I did feel for her then not having the right requirements and when she and Curt were planning to spend Christmas with his family she explained they'd alternate it but no because Olivia was feeling blue they had to cancel that plan. Who cares about his family, right Olivia? As long as you get what you want. I know he apologized but watching John Boy go off on that poor woman who just arrived from Nazi Germany. Gee, John Boy maybe she knows a lot more about what its like there since she's been living their long enough to watch her country, her government turn into that? I did feel sorry for Cora Beth only once but that was when Jim Bob was being an ass over not being allowed to be pilot. I know he was upset but he took his anger out on everyone around him including her. Why I've always wanted her to be told off Jim Bob was out of line.

2 hours ago, roamyn said:

Winchester was fabulous.  There was so many layers to him, and DOS acted w/such depth.  RIP sir.

Winchester was the best. He was a snob but he was a talented doctor. You knew he had a good heart underneath the attitude. Frank Burns was the worst. He was a hypocrite and he was mean to everybody.

• Love 15
19 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Winchester was the best. He was a snob but he was a talented doctor. You knew he had a good heart underneath the attitude. Frank Burns was the worst. He was a hypocrite and he was mean to everybody.

Not to mention a cheater and a quack.  And a whiner and  tattle tale.  I literally can not think of one redeeming characteristic.  He was like the perfect little weasel.  

• Love 14

Xander on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He was a creep and an asshole. His constant passive aggressive digs at Buffy because she wasn't interested in him. The constant misogynistic digs at Cordelia, even when they're dating. Not telling Buffy what Willow said about Angel at the end of season two. When he reveals that Buffy was almost raped to her little sister as a sarcastic comeback. Every woman in his life deserved a better friend/boyfriend than him. They should've killed him off and kept Oz.

Jorah Mormont (and his gross obsession with Daenerys) and Jaime Lannister on Game of Thrones. Neither deserves any kind of redemption and I hate how with Jaime everyone blames Cersei for the awful things he's done.

Guero on Queen of the South. He stole coke from the drug cartel he worked for and didn't tell his girlfriend what he was doing. When the cartel found out they sent hitmen to kill him, his accomplice, and their families. His girlfriend was raped and almost killed (and was eventually abducted, smuggled into the US, and forced to work as a mule). All the while he was tucked away safe by the DEA. He was portrayed by the show as a romantic guy who just made a mistake.

• Love 10

The Walking Dead's Negan. 

This is a character that took down a very popular show, and made the producers completely stupid. 

He is so hated by the fans, instead of writing him off (which should have been a no brainier as ratings began to plummet), TPTB decided to keep him on as a FU to the remaining fans. 

In the process they lost the 2 core characters from the comic books: Rick and Carl. 

They decided to fire the actor playing Carl and use his character's death as a redemption arc for Negan. This pissed off Andrew Lincoln (Rick) so much he quit. (This is not a spoiler as the TV ads for the show promoted Rick's "final episodes".) 

I have never seen so much stupidity before. 

• Love 10
18 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Frank Burns made a thoroughly detestable villain. Winchester was far more complex, and even though he was brought in as a villain, he ended up as something of an anti-hero, on the show. They often seemed to have him do the right thing, despite his preconceived opinions or against his own interests, but he still wasn't overly fond of Hawkeye or BJ.

• Love 15
8 hours ago, Macbeth said:

The Walking Dead's Negan. 

This is a character that took down a very popular show, and made the producers completely stupid. 

He is so hated by the fans, instead of writing him off (which should have been a no brainier as ratings began to plummet), TPTB decided to keep him on as a FU to the remaining fans. 

In the process they lost the 2 core characters from the comic books: Rick and Carl. 

They decided to fire the actor playing Carl and use his character's death as a redemption arc for Negan. This pissed off Andrew Lincoln (Rick) so much he quit. (This is not a spoiler as the TV ads for the show promoted Rick's "final episodes".) 

I have never seen so much stupidity before. 

Negan is one of the worst characters I've ever seen. Sadistic - beating people to death with a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire (shown in gruesome detail on the show) - and long-winded. I used to watch TWD; 7x01, aka the episode where Glenn and Abraham were beaten to death, was my last ep. I've seen clips of Negan in subsequent episodes and it's always just him swinging that bat and badly monologuing.

TWD has always been self-indulgent and in love with violent men but with Negan they just took it way too far for me (and several million others).

• Love 7
On September 22, 2018 at 11:14 PM, slf said:

Xander on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He was a creep and an asshole. His constant passive aggressive digs at Buffy because she wasn't interested in him. The constant misogynistic digs at Cordelia, even when they're dating. Not telling Buffy what Willow said about Angel at the end of season two. When he reveals that Buffy was almost raped to her little sister as a sarcastic comeback. Every woman in his life deserved a better friend/boyfriend than him. They should've killed him off and kept Oz.

Jorah Mormont (and his gross obsession with Daenerys) and Jaime Lannister on Game of Thrones. Neither deserves any kind of redemption and I hate how with Jaime everyone blames Cersei for the awful things he's done.

Word to all three of these.  Jamie pushed Bran out of a window.  He crippled him.  And no, Cersei doesn't get the blame for that -- she was an accomplice, but if you'll recall, Jamie pushed him out the window voluntarily.  He better be dead in the final season.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Word to all three of these.  Jamie pushed Bran out of a window.  He cripped him.  And no, Cersei doesn't get the blame for that -- she was an accomplice, but if you'll recall, Jamie pushed him out the window voluntarily.  He better be dead in the final season.

1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I have always hated Jamie.

Oh, praise the Lord, I was afraid I was the only one! I loathe Jamie Lannister, and whenever critics rave about his "compelling character arc blah", I want to scream "What the hell are you people talking about?!? He's an incestuous rapist who tossed an innocent child out a fucking window and crippled him for life!"

Jamie, vile, disgusting Ramsay Bolton, and that traitorous, cowardly child murderer Theon (or Reek, or whatever) can go to Hell a thousand times over for all I care.

Note: I haven't watched Game of Thrones since season 4 or so, so I am waaaaaaaayyyy behind.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Oh, praise the Lord, I was afraid I was the only one! I loathe Jamie Lannister, and whenever critics rave about his "compelling character arc blah", I want to scream "What the hell are you people talking about?!? He's an incestuous rapist who tossed an innocent child out a fucking window and crippled him for life!"

Jamie, vile, disgusting Ramsay Bolton, and that traitorous, cowardly child murderer Theon (or Reek, or whatever) can go to Hell a thousand times over for all I care.

Note: I haven't watched Game of Thrones since season 4 or so, so I am waaaaaaaayyyy behind.

Yes, his apparent character arc seems to have been driven entirely by self-pity since losing his hand. I don't really see that as a noble motive, quite the opposite. 

But since you have not watched beyond season 4, you should probably be warned that consistent characterisation does not really exist in the later seasons, particularly in the most recent season where half the characters are entirely unrecognisable from one scene to the next. 

Edited by Pindrop
  • Love 6