Type keyword(s) to search

Loathesome!: Characters We Hate

• Start Topic

Alex Vause on Orange is the New Black. The relationship between her and Piper is the least interesting part of the show.

And I think it is the most interesting part of the show. Killing off Alex wouldn't be enough to stop me from watching the show but it would pull it off must see TV.

Edited by Chaos Theory

And I think it is the most interesting part of the show. Killing off Alex wouldn't be enough to stop me from watching the show but it would pull it off must see TV.

There are others who think so, too. That's what makes the show so good--the characters are so well drawn and so much a blend of good and bad that one person's favorite is another's least favorite.

I'm with those that would not want to see Alex killed off. While I'm not all that invested in her relationship with Piper at this point (just how toxic can it get, again and again and again?), Piper by herself is no longer that interesting or watchable either and the show will not get rid of her. I'm really glad Vee was killed off though; that was the one I most wanted dead.

I second Ezra and Toby on PLL, which won't happen - yet another reason to not tune in next season.

Someone on Haven, either one of Audrey's selves or Nathan or both. What I want dead is not a particular character as much as the repeatedly recycled drama hijinks in that love story. For the final season I really, really want this pattern gone. I don't want to quit watching now.

The entire cast of Dark Matters? I kid, I kid. But the demise of One, Three, and their dead wife plot would be nice. And I have nothing against Four, but his Samurai Prince In Space story managed to be both cliched and unbelievably ridiculous, so I'm not particularly fond of what could be coming next for him either. (I'll probably just drop the show.)

• Love 1

I think Madison will be the last one standing, I think she's the Rick Grimes of that show. 

I'm still hoping the Walking Depp is the stealth lead and its a story of how an addict gets clean in the ZA despite losing everyone.  I find him the least annoying of the bunch.  I'm sure that will change after watching a couple episodes of withdrawal.

I find it funny that the two shows have flipped the ratio if 'won't you just die already'.  Walking Dead is an exercise in bargaining 'please don't kill X'.  Fear is an basically  'why aren't they dead yet, its been two episodes already.'

• Love 2

I'm still hoping the Walking Depp is the stealth lead and its a story of how an addict gets clean in the ZA despite losing everyone.  I find him the least annoying of the bunch.  I'm sure that will change after watching a couple episodes of withdrawal.

I find it funny that the two shows have flipped the ratio if 'won't you just die already'.  Walking Dead is an exercise in bargaining 'please don't kill X'.  Fear is an basically  'why aren't they dead yet, its been two episodes already.'

I think they should have shown the first two episodes on the first night, episode 3 the next week, then this break. It's not like they didn't know about Labor Day. 

I think Nick will be the Daryl. A fan favorite, who will come to be the one they really depend on. I think he will last a while too. 

Back on topic, kill Alicia. She's so annoying. 

• Love 1

Fitz gets on my nerves, but, he can stay for now.  He can't go before Huck does. I'm over Huck and the entirety of B613.

I really liked the chemistry that Olivia and Fitz had at the beginning of the show, but I'm kinda okay with the thought of him dying now. I'm beyond tired of all of his issues and the will they/won't they aspect of their relationship. My favorite aspect of Olivia is her fixer abilities, so I would love there to be more focus on her doing her job. Then again, maybe with Olitz finally being together and stable, that will happen anyway. As for Huck, yeah he can die anytime now. I'm also not thrilled with the B613 storylines, but I have this weird affection for both Jake and the other assassin guy (the one who was in Father of the Bride).

Darryl and Maggie from The Walking Dead - I think it would make the show more interesting with Darryl gone because then Rick would need a new best bud.  With Maggie gone, Glenn could get with Rosita.

I loved Darryl for a long time, but his character is so stagnant now and it's made even worse with his protected fan favorite status. I'd love to see more growth for him and even some missteps, otherwise yeah, kill him off. 

Awww, I love Glenn and Maggie. We don't get much love and happiness on that show, so I'd hate to see either of them go. Then again, it is the Walking Dead, so eh. I wouldn't want to see him move on to Rosita really quickly though. If we lost the Glenn/Maggie love story, I'd rather see one develop between Rick and Michonne. Yeah, I said it!

I'm kinda hoping that everyone on FtWD dies and we start season 2 with a whole new (less annoying) crew.

Edited by cynic
  • Love 1

Last year when the writers of The Simpsons announced they were killing off a major character, I was kind of hoping it would be Marge. Not just because I hate her -- and I do because she's become a tiresome twit -- but becaus it would change the dynamic and make the show more interesting after 25 years of the same old storylines.

• Love 1

Last year when the writers of The Simpsons announced they were killing off a major character, I was kind of hoping it would be Marge. Not just because I hate her -- and I do because she's become a tiresome twit -- but becaus it would change the dynamic and make the show more interesting after 25 years of the same old storylines.

That actually sounds like a really good idea. I would definitely tune back in to see how they handle that. Though I'm sure it would just further take all the joy out of Lisa's character as she would be forced to step up to the plate. 

• Love 1

I'm with those that would not want to see Alex killed off. While I'm not all that invested in her relationship with Piper at this point (just how toxic can it get, again and again and again?), 

I've brought his up once or twice but one of the things I like about the relationship is how toxic it is.    Both Piper and Alex are horrible people  but that is what I find fascinating about them.  They are two terrible horrible people who genuinely love and care for each other.    Most interesting about it though is that these kind of rolls are usually written for men.  I am not sure if this kind of damaged toxic character has ever been written for a woman and here we have two trying to love each other.  I find that fascinating.  

Edited by Chaos Theory

I've brought his up once or twice but one of the things I like about the relationship is how toxic it is.

Yes, definitely. This was the appeal for me too. They've been explored so well as characters and as a couple. But OitNB still needs them to have a story, so there's more conflict, and one-upmanship in twists, and... this is all that's left, no? While I know that of course it is repetitive because that is what a "pattern" is, and this is true to real life, at some point I started to lost interest in it. Just like I've never managed to watch many seasons of a Shonda show or any soap ever.

Edited by Crim

Solomon on The Blacklist.  I know we're supposed to hate the character because he's a villain, but most villains, while I may not like them, I can stand having them as part of the show (to a point--sometimes they last too long and I think it's time to move on to another story line or sometimes they get campy), but Solomon is written as such pure evil that I can't even enjoy the scenes he's in.  I'm ok with liking bad guys because they may be amusing or have some redeeming character and I'm ok with villains who are pure evil as long as they are only around for a very short time, but Solomon has been on one too many times and I can barely watch the episodes that he's in.

I suppose, though, that I should applaud the casting director and actor, since in order to instill these feelings in someone, then the right person must be cast for the part, but yeah....he needs to go and soon.

5 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

This is pretty old, but I've been re-watching Monarch of the Glen and I hate, hate, hate Katrina. She is so self-righteous and smug.

That's funny, because I hated Lexie. ; )

• Love 1

Tom and April from Parks and Recreation.  Just Tom and April.  I hate how they pick on Jerry.  I see a lot of myself in Jerry and seeing a bumbling but kind and gentle man being made fun of by Tom of the Stupid Business Ideas and April The Anti-Daria really pisses me off.

• Love 4

Skyler White from Breaking Bad - Love the show, hated her character. Such a fun sponge.

Gabriela Dawson from Chicago Fire - No composure at all, flies off the handle and is steadfast regardless of how ridiculous what she is doing is. Just annoying.

Will Halstead from Chicago Med - Moany prat who is a pale shadow of his PD brother.

Debra Morgan from Dexter - Just awful, in what world would she rise to the prominence in the police force that she did? Rude, careless and error prone. Twat.

Jeanie Boulet from ER - Oh my god, has there ever been a duller character in any show ever? Pointless. She had what should in theory have been storylines that were heart wrenching and got you emotionally invested in her, but I found myself not caring in the slightest.

Kono from Hawaii 5-0 (new version) - Pointless character.

Sam Healy from Orange is the New Black - Creepy, creepy guy.

Donna from Suits - Self satisfied, arrogant, self righteous, pompous tit. Acts like she knows everything and is brilliant, but is useless and forever screwing up!

• Love 1

I really hate Brian on Family Guy. He's a smug, egotistical, self-righteous asshole that acts like he's so much better than everyone else.

I rewatched "Play it Again, Brian", the episode where Brian once again tries to make a move on Lois. I really hated the part where Peter confronts him about it, Brian just gives him a self righteous lecture about how he doesn't deserve Lois and how she just "gives and gives" without getting anything back from him. Peter may be a jerk, but that doesn't give Brian carte blanche to steal his best friend's wife, especially when he LIVES IN HIS HOUSE.

Also, Lois, far from Brian's claims, is no saint. In fact, she's just as pretentious as he is. So maybe they deserve each other.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I really hate Brian on Family Guy. He's a smug, egotistical, self-righteous asshole that acts like he's so much better than everyone else.

I rewatched "Play it Again, Brian", the episode where Brian once again tries to make a move on Lois. I really hated the part where Peter confronts him about it, Brian just gives him a self righteous lecture about how he doesn't deserve Lois and how she just "gives and gives" without getting anything back from him. Peter may be a jerk, but that doesn't give Brian carte blanche to steal his best friend's wife, especially when he LIVES IN HIS HOUSE.

Also, Lois, far from Brian's claims, is no saint. In fact, she's just as pretentious as he is. So maybe they deserve each other.

I find many of the Family Guy characters insufferable, but Brian is by far the worst. I rank him in the top five most annoying television characters in history.

• Love 2
On 7/29/2016 at 1:58 PM, Meadows said:

Skyler White from Breaking Bad - Love the show, hated her character. Such a fun sponge.

I'm not sure what I hate more, the character of Skyler White or the implication that hating her MUST mean your picture is in the dictionary next to the word "misogynist." 

I pretty much hated everybody (except Tara & the kids) on Sons of Anarchy, but my worst was Jax.  He was supposed to be the good guy in the MC...he wasn't.  He's supposed to be hot...IMO he isn't (& could use a bath while I'm at it).  I was perfectly fine watching all my other hated characters (especially Clay), because while they were horrible, they were at least compelling and I was interested in what happened to them.  Jax, not so much.

I also irrationally hate Christopher (Christophuh) from The Sopranos.  The only thing I was sorry about when he died was that it wasn't more drawn out & painful.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 3

I just started a rewatch of Oz recently (all the promos in front of The Night Of spurred me) and I didn't know this was possible, but I actually hate McManus more on rewatch.  I truly wonder if I would've liked the character better if it was played by someone else, or if it really was all due to the writing - I actually agree with a lot of what McManus stood for, but he was so freaking self-righteous and smug about it all the time.  And somehow simultaneously whiny too, and I really don't know if that was due to the writing, or how Terry Kinney played him.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 4:46 AM, bmoore4026 said:

Tom and April from Parks and Recreation.  Just Tom and April.  I hate how they pick on Jerry.  I see a lot of myself in Jerry and seeing a bumbling but kind and gentle man being made fun of by Tom of the Stupid Business Ideas and April The Anti-Daria really pisses me off.

I could handle Tom but I think that's because I find Aziz Ansari a pretty likable guy. But April seemed to show very little growth as a character. She was cruel and unprofessional and totally devoid of any kind of charm.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

I'm not sure what I hate more, the character of Skyler White or the implication that hating her MUST mean your picture is in the dictionary next to the word "misogynist." 

I pretty much hated everybody (except Tara & the kids) on Sons of Anarchy, but my worst was Jax.  He was supposed to be the good guy in the MC...he wasn't.  He's supposed to be hot...IMO he isn't (& could use a bath while I'm at it).  I was perfectly fine watching all my other hated characters (especially Clay), because while they were horrible, they were at least compelling and I was interested in what happened to them.  Jax, not so much.

I also irrationally hate Christopher (Christophuh) from The Sopranos.  The only thing I was sorry about when he died was that it wasn't more drawn out & painful.

I'm not going yo get into Skyler White except to say I never understood why anyone hated her.  Like everyone else on the show I found her compelling as hell.  Not liking her has nothing to do with misogyny though.  Just a different opinion one that I could never figure out but to each is own.

As for Jax(. For most of the show I saw it less about him and more about two strong women fighting over his soul.  Maybe I was the one who missed the point but that is how I saw the show.

• Love 1
Just now, Chaos Theory said:

Not liking her has nothing to do with misogyny though.  

Agreed, but yeah, the accusations fly, from both fans as well as Anna Gunn herself.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Agreed, but yeah, the accusations fly, from both fans as well as Anna Gunn herself.

The one explanation I have is on a show dominated heavily by men the female lead is among the most hated characters on tv and often (but not always) for odd reasons.  One of the biggest is in the pilot not giving sex to her husband on his birthday.  That says something to a lot of people.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

The one explanation I have is on a show dominated heavily by men the female lead is among the most hated characters on tv.  That says something to a lot of people.  

I think, also, that Skyler was the way she was to get Walt some sympathy.  

My feelings about Skyler are much like Clay Morrow, in that I didn't like them, but at the same time saw that they were written (and IMO acted) wonderfully and looked forward to watching them.

1 hour ago, ByTor said:

My feelings about Skyler are much like Clay Morrow, in that I didn't like them, but at the same time saw that they were written (and IMO acted) wonderfully and looked forward to watching them.

That's how I feel about all of them on BB.   There really wasn't anyone root for in that show or sympathize with (except for a couple of characters on occasion), but the acting and writing was so compelling that I couldn't turn it off.  I'm feeling sort of the same way about Mr. Robot right now.  I stated in another thread that I was this close to giving it up, but I'm finding the acting and writing for a couple of the characters so good and interesting, that I can't quite make myself stop watching (yet, anyway--Season 2 has gotten off to an odd and confusing start, so time will tell.....).   Anyway, back to BB and Skylar: she was one of the characters I hated the least because out of all of them she and Hank had this forced on them.  Hank was ready to do his job, but Skylar was in a much tougher position and was wedged between a rock and a hard place.  Not that she didn't have her hate-worthy moments, but she was the one I disliked the least (again, character-wise.  The writing and acting were fantastic).

• Love 4
On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 9:54 PM, Enigma X said:

I can't stand nosey-ass Jessica Fletcher. Of all the nonlaw enforcement characters who always solve murders, she is by far the most annoying.

I have always subscribed to the theory that she was really a serial killer, and all her folksy mannerisms and snoopiness were to throw real investigators off the scent.

• Love 14
22 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I have always subscribed to the theory that she was really a serial killer, and all her folksy mannerisms and snoopiness were to throw real investigators off the scent.

I've been saying that for years!

• Love 5
On 8/15/2016 at 6:22 PM, Bookish Jen said:

I could handle Tom but I think that's because I find Aziz Ansari a pretty likable guy. But April seemed to show very little growth as a character. She was cruel and unprofessional and totally devoid of any kind of charm.

I couldn't agree more! I found her somewhat tolerable in the first few seasons when she was a young, aimless college intern, but I quickly grew tired of her schtick when I saw that she wasn't showing any personal growth. The worst thing for me is that she tries to portray herself as a weirdo outsider, when in reality she lives a fairly charmed life. She has a wonderful husband who adores her, a steady job with co-workers that are constantly praising her and bending over backwards to give her new opportunities, and she is very conventionally attractive. All this makes her rude behavior even worse to me because she's not the underdog she thinks she is, she's the pretty popular girl who gets away with insulting and bullying anyone she chooses because the people around her (inexplicably) think she can do no wrong. It makes me cringe.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I would watch the hell out of a tv movie with this as the plot. Come on Lifetime or Hallmark!

• Love 10
On September 9, 2016 at 1:04 PM, proserpina65 said:

I can just see the Dexter theme with Jessica Fletcher. 

• Love 3
On 8/15/2016 at 5:43 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

I just started a rewatch of Oz recently (all the promos in front of The Night Of spurred me) and I didn't know this was possible, but I actually hate McManus more on rewatch.

I recently started watching this too, although for me it's for the first time, since I didn't have HBO when it first came out. I was completely unspoiled and had no idea what it was about (other than a violent men's prison), so when I saw the pilot I assumed that McManus was being set up to be the hero- the hardworking idealistic man who's tough but fair and always does his best to be an advocate for the prisoners against "the system". Boy, was I wrong! Instead, he's whiny, petty, selfish, short-sighted, and constantly exasperated with everyone around him. I still suspect that he was originally envisioned as a more sympathetic and central character, but for whatever reason the showrunners decided to change the focus and turn him into an irritating secondary character. However, I love the show overall (not quite done yet), and I wish the forum here was more active, since I have no one to talk about it with in real life!

• Love 4
On 9/11/2016 at 11:13 AM, Snow Apple said:

While I don't hate her, I strongly dislike Sophia from The Golden Girls. Everything she says is just so mean.

I thought she was usually funny, but her comments to Dorothy were often too mean to be funny. 

• Love 4

Gah.  Most characters on the various NCIS, CSI shows deliver wooden dialogue but most of them have some personality that rises above the procedural stiffness.  But NCSI:NOLA just added this new FBI character played by Vanessa Ferlito who is just horrible. She is humorless, has resting bitch face and just needlessly adversarial.

• Love 3
On 8/15/2016 at 2:02 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I'm not going yo get into Skyler White except to say I never understood why anyone hated her.  Like everyone else on the show I found her compelling as hell.  Not liking her has nothing to do with misogyny though.  Just a different opinion one that I could never figure out but to each is own.

As for Jax(. For most of the show I saw it less about him and more about two strong women fighting over his soul.  Maybe I was the one who missed the point but that is how I saw the show.

I never had an issue with Skylar, either. I wrote on another thread that Walt made Skylar a shit sandwich and she did the best she could with his meth dealing. I don't know any wife who would be okay with the news that their husband is eyeball deep in the drug world. If you snitch on him, you're breaking up the family, if you stay, then you're an accessory and your family is still broken when the news eventually gets out.

I saw SOA the same way you did. That's what made the series interesting to me. Jax could've gone either way, although he never would've been really out. You can't be half a gangster in that world.  I liken it to Christopher on The Soprano's when he saw that mullet family after he learned about Adrianna's arrest. He made up his mind then that he couldn't leave the life and be in witness protection. He spent his entire life being part of a criminal enterprise. People rarely walk away from that clean and go straight.

Gabriela Dawson from Chicago Fire - No composure at all, flies off the handle and is steadfast regardless of how ridiculous what she is doing is. Just annoying

She is the Crabby...err Abby from ER. Or Vanessa Ferlito From Graceland. Women with ok looks and noxious personalities who every man falls instantly in love with. Peggy Sue much.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:42 PM, DearEvette said:

Gah.  Most characters on the various NCIS, CSI shows deliver wooden dialogue but most of them have some personality that rises above the procedural stiffness.  But NCSI:NOLA just added this new FBI character played by Vanessa Ferlito who is just horrible. She is humorless, has resting bitch face and just needlessly adversarial.

God, yes!  I hated her the moment she showed up, and now I don't want to watch the show.  Not that I watched it that much, but still, Scott Bakula and Lucas Black made it worth the occasional view.

• Love 3

Oh my god, the NCIS characters. You guys are giving me traumatic flashbacks. ;) NEVER have I so instantaneously developed an intense hatred for such a large percentage of any show's characters. About 15 minutes into my first episode, there was this scene where DiNozzo (painfully obnoxious, conceited, smarmy overgrown frat boy), Gibbs (also painfully obnoxious and self-enamored), Abby (I don't even have the adjectives!) were all strolling down the hall, exchanging forced, obnoxious banter that would have seemed a little immature if spoken among middle school students, and I found myself hoping they would all be the next victims of that week's killer. Needless to say, that was my clue that despite my addiction to crime shows, this one was not exactly destined to earn a place on my DVR :)  

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 4

I love all the NCIS charcters, except the new NO chick, Bishop on the original, and possibly the new Female on the original.  Oh, I couldn't stand Director Jen either.

I even like Deeks & Ziva.

• Love 2