Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I don't think Vanessa is a big enough star to make demands like that. I can see that it got so ugly in rehearsals that TPTB told Maks to take the rest of the week off.

No, she's not. But, neither is he, by a long shot.

• Love 4

While I don't believe everything in gossip rags, the main reason I think there is something to all of this is because neither Maks nor Vanessa have remotely denied it.  If the personal issue was outside of their partnership, I feel like they would have both come forward today with some general statement about how much they love each other and the rumors are ridiculous and blah blah. Maks wouldn't even need to reveal his personal reason but he could just say he loved Vanessa and it had nothing to do with her.  It also would be the smart thing to do from a PR standpoint since currently both are being painted as somewhat difficult.  Instead both Vanessa and Maks posted vague general things about how they can't wait to get back to work this week with their partner and that was that.

Also you don't see anyone else around them--Val, Peta, Nick, etc. denying it.  Also Val posted some vague famovereverything post in support of Maks.

Honestly the show and Maks would have better off having Maks say he had a minor injury but minor enough he would back the following next week and nobody would have questioned anything further.

Also per US Magazine (http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/maks-chmerkovskiy-cant-wait-to-be-back-with-vanessa-lachey-w506978), on the same night, shortly after Vanessa and Alan's performance, Vanessa posted this on instagram:

Don't forget to vote! (Link in my Bio!) ?,” she wrote on Instagram shortly after the performance. “I can't WAIT to get started tomorrow with @maksimc on week 4! We're cookin up something special for you!”

The next day, Tuesday, Maks posted this

“New week! VEEEEERY excited for @DancingABC new dance studio and new dance with @VanessaLachey !” the pro dancer, 37, wrote on Twitter on Tuesday, October 3, after missing the show the night before due to an undisclosed personal issue. “Can’t wait to be back at the Ballroom!”

I don't know what happened, and at this point neither does anyone else. 

2 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

I don't know what happened, and at this point neither does anyone else. 

Could be that someone explained to Maks that there's no hissy fit exception in his contract.  Show up or be replaced.  And I would not assume that he can fail to fulfill his contractual duties and still be paid.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Uke said:

Could be that someone explained to Maks that there's no hissy fit exception in his contract.  Show up or be replaced.  And I would not assume that he can fail to fulfill his contractual duties and still be paid.

Or it could be that he got caught in a temporary cosmic rift and was sucked into a parallel universe for the day. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, chocolatine said:

If it was Vanessa's choice to dance with another partner, then the show really threw Maks under the bus with the cryptic "personal issue" comment.

If it was Maks's choice to sit out though, it was egregiously unprofessional and he needs to get fired. Bring back Tony, who put up with the worst personalities, always with a smile.

This show does always seem to reward arrogant schmucks like the Houghs and the C Brothers while crapping on nice guys like Tony :-(

• Love 8

Can anyone else just picture the producers hands guiding Maks's over his phone as he gritted his teeth and typed out that tweet today? ?

Amazing how quickly People, US Weekly and the others were right on top of that tweet with a story. They didn't waste any time after the tip off that it was coming.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Or it could be that he got caught in a temporary cosmic rift and was sucked into a parallel universe for the day. 

I lol'd at this. It seems like something that would happen on Phineas & Ferb :)

• Love 2

Next week Dances are up

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2017/10/05/dancing-with-the-stars-seas

Derek Fisher & Sharna Burgess – Jazz – “Move On Up” by Curtis Mayfield
Drew Scott & Emma Slater – Jive – “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen
Frankie Muniz & Witney Carson – Quickstep – “Adventure of a Lifetime” by Coldplay
Jordan Fisher & Lindsay Arnold – Contemporary – “Take Me Home” by Us The Duo
Lindsey Stirling & Mark Ballas – Viennese Waltz – “Anchor” by Mindy Gledhill
Nick Lachey & Peta Murgatroyd – Contemporary – “Falling Slowly” by Marketa Irglova & Glen Hansard
Nikki Bella & Artem Chigvintsev – Contemporary – “Fight Song” by Rachel Platten
Sasha Pieterse & Gleb Savchenko – Foxtrot – “Over My Head (Cable Car)” by The Fray
Terrell Owens & Cheryl Burke – Viennese Waltz – “I Have Nothing” by Whitney Houston
Vanessa Lachey & Maksim Chmerkovskiy – Rumba – “Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)” by Nick Lachey
Victoria Arlen & Val Chmerkovskiy – Foxtrot – “I Lived” by OneRepublic

Dancing with the Stars is going to make all of us cry oceans for it’s Most Memorable Year night on Monday (October 9th).

Each couple will dance to a song of the celebrity’s choosing that encompasses a memorable time or truly incredible experience in their life, with the performances coming straight from the heart and showcasing some of the most emotional routines of the season.

Each couple will perform a jazz, jive, quickstep, Viennese waltz, contemporary, foxtrot or rumba, vying for America’s vote.

At the end of the night, one couple will be eliminated.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Andie1 said:

Drew Scott & Emma Slater – Jive – “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen

Damn it! The band is going to destroy that song and not in the good way. Can we get them fired before that? Why do they do this to the classics? Why do they have to do it to Queen?

• Love 3

I am usually meh about Most Memorable Week, but when Rashad Jennings performed that Contemporary from his soul, that was some great entertainment.  So I'm looking forward to Jordan who actually has some really good dance ability and an interesting back story to pull off something good.  I expect Lindsey and Mark to do well  and surprisingly Vanessa and Maks should do well, even if it might be a tad awkward after this week.  I think we're going to get a bit more focus this week after last.  There might even be a few surprisingly good dances from others as well, although I'm sure the Victoria pity party will be in full force which will probably render the high score, and I'm thinking Frankie is going to milk his stiff movement due to car racing injury for all its worth. But I really don't care about the scores, I just want to see some good dancing and so far Jordan and Lindsay  and Lindsey and Mark are delivering.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 2

I generally hate memorable year week, where folks without sob stories sort of get penalized by not having a major life moment to exploit to the audience, but it's a staple at this point.  I was generally happy to see that there aren't too many contemporaries and at least one of the three is done by somebody 100% capable of doing a real contemporary (and has a pro that understands what contemp is as well).

I haven't been paying too much attention to know what this years sob stories are outside of Victoria's obvious story and Jordan is doing something about the year he got adopted by his grandparents.  His story sounds similar to Simone Biles.  Frankie is up first and Victoria, unshockingly, is last.  The plan is to try and watch the dances without the ridiculous over the top sobbing "most moving moment of my lives" judging (generally from CA).  I'm assuming Victoria doing a foxtrot over contemp is because it's probably easier for Val to choreograph a dance in hold for her than not.

I don’t like most memorable week only because it becomes best son story. I remember years ago when kristen from The Hills and Laguna Beach’s most memorable year was when she graduated high school and moved to LA and it was upbeat and pretty good too and the next night she was voted off- I don’t remember everyone’s stories but I know Rob Kardashion was on that season and his year was the year his dad died- and she even said later maybe her story wasn’t that sad.

I feel like there was one season where the stories were not that sad and pretty uplifting and fun and I was happy, couldnhave been last season or the season before but I can’t remember.

35 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I don’t like most memorable week only because it becomes best sob story. I remember years ago when kristen from The Hills and Laguna Beach’s most memorable year was when she graduated high school and moved to LA and it was upbeat and pretty good too and the next night she was voted off- I don’t remember everyone’s stories but I know Rob Kardashion was on that season and his year was the year his dad died- and she even said later maybe her story wasn’t that sad.

Yep, I agree with you.  I doubt that Drew Scott has a sob story, and the fact that he's doing a jive to "Don't Stop Me Now" makes me think his most memorable moment is going to be an uplifting one.  That might be enough to land him in the bottom 3 this time.

Yeah. I mean.. it is what it is I guess. And I completely understand why sadder stories are easy to connect to(in fact I think I wrote an essay about it on a past episode right here on this site) happier moments are harder I think because most happy moments are either things that happen to a lot of people that they are one and the same or something that happens to just that person singularity. It’s hard to connect with that. 

• Love 1

I hate Contemporary, I do hope from the three taking place we see something different and innovative from any of them. I understand it’s hard because the dance style is so beige. Pretty much every single story is a sob story as well, Jordan’s adoption, Lindsey’s dad passing away, Terrell’s grandma passing away, Victoria’s fight etc etc. Can’t we get one happy story for a change! Ironically it looks like the happiest story of the night based purely on the song choice is Frankie, and he’s going first. Damn it!

• Love 1

Disney Week dances are up

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2017/10/11/dancing-with-the-stars-season-25-disney-night-week-5-songs-dances-details-revealed/

Dancing with the Stars have revealed all the songs and dances for the upcoming Disney Night on Monday (October 16)!

Each couple will take on a past, or future Disney song and movie and it looks like there are waltzes, quicksteps, foxtrots and more for the planned night. We can’t wait to see them all!

At the end of the night, one couple will be eliminated.

Check out the couples’ ballroom dance styles below!

Drew Scott & Emma Slater – Viennese Waltz – “Rainbow Connection” from The Muppet Movie
Frankie Muniz & Witney Carson – Argentine Tango – “Angelica” from Pirates of the Caribbean
Jordan Fisher & Lindsay Arnold – Foxtrot – “You’re Welcome” from Moana
Lindsey Stirling & Mark Ballas – Foxtrot – “When You Wish Upon a Star” from Pinocchio
Nick Lachey & Peta Murgatroyd – Quickstep – “The Bare Necessities” from The Jungle Book
Nikki Bella & Artem Chigvintsev – Jazz – “Remember Me” from Coco
Sasha Pieterse & Gleb Savchenko – Rumba – “Kiss The Girl” from The Little Mermaid
Terrell Owens & Cheryl Burke – Quickstep – “I Just Can’t Wait To be King” from The Lion King
Vanessa Lachey & Maksim Chmerkovskiy – Waltz – “Un Jour Mon Prince Viendra” from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Victoria Arlen & Val Chmerkovskiy – Charleston – “Steamboat Willie” from Steamboat Willie

18 minutes ago, Andie1 said:

Terrell Owens & Cheryl Burke – Quickstep – “I Just Can’t Wait To be King” from The Lion King

Oh god. Oh god, no. Oh, hell no. THE BAND IS GOING TO BUTCHER MY FAVOURITE DISNEY SONG?!?!

On the plus side, I think Frankie will do well at the Argentine Tango, so I'm excited for his dance. 

I worry about Victoria's dance. She didn't do well with the Quickstep, and I don't think she'll do well with this dance.

9 hours ago, Andie1 said:

Vanessa Lachey & Maksim Chmerkovskiy – Waltz – “Un Jour Mon Prince Viendra” from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Is there something inherently more waltzy about the French version of this song?

Also, the fourth Pirates move was iffy, but Angelica makes for a spectacular Argentine tango song.

10 hours ago, Andie1 said:

Maks dressed up as a dwarf could make this whole season worthwhile! ?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Andie1 said:

So Val's Steamboat Willie is no longer Charleston, it's Jazz.  I wonder what happened there.

Maybe Victoria is physically unable to do a Charleston for Monday, so they allowed the alteration in style.

Which, for me, it's fine. I get if it bothers others, but if Victoria really can't do the Charleston, it's better they know now and can switch it. Victoria still has her limitations and I'd personally rather see a dance she can do, rather than a dance she can't. I mean, we've already seen her struggle with the Quickstep. She might also have a Jive coming up, and having three fast paced dances this season where they'll probably be her weakest is probably not the smartest idea. Though why they tried it originally, who knows? 

If there's a change for the celebrity, one time shouldn't be an issue, and of course Victoria is going to get a pass ; but a Jive is far more taxing on the legs, is she going to take a bye for that too?  I mean sure, Victoria can't feel her feet, but Amy Purdy didn't have legs below the knee, so I'm a bit perplexed, because for Amy she said she had more trouble with the Waltz than the Jive.   

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 3
On 12/10/2017 at 4:47 AM, Mittengirl said:

Is “Coco” something old I’ve never heard of or something new I’ve never heard of?

Brand new Disney movie that comes out on Thanksgiving. Basically Nikki’s been given the same treatment David Ross got last season when they lumbered him with the yet to be released Cars 3. They’ve obviously chosen Nikki because she’s the most internationally known member of the cast and probably gets the most hits for her dances online. So of course that makes her the perfect patsy to use for a movie that needs promotion.

• Love 1
On 10/12/2017 at 7:34 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Maybe Victoria is physically unable to do a Charleston for Monday, so they allowed the alteration in style.

Which, for me, it's fine. I get if it bothers others, but if Victoria really can't do the Charleston, it's better they know now and can switch it. Victoria still has her limitations and I'd personally rather see a dance she can do, rather than a dance she can't. I mean, we've already seen her struggle with the Quickstep. She might also have a Jive coming up, and having three fast paced dances this season where they'll probably be her weakest is probably not the smartest idea. Though why they tried it originally, who knows? 

I agree, if she's physically unable to perform the moves in a Charleston, she shouldn't be assigned that dance just like Noah's assigned Jive was changed to something else when it was determined he was unable (I forget which week).  Though Victoria did get a respectable score for her Quickstep.  What gives me pause is that dance style change seems to happen at least once a season for Val and his partner and the change is announced after the original press release for all the dances.   After approximately 8 weeks of working with Victoria, Val should have a clear understanding of what she is and isn't able to physically handle and should have already communicated that to producers (who are in the room for all rehearsals and can see for themselves what she can physically handle, though they are not expert at assessing ability like Val is or should be).

Edited by Uke
On 10/11/2017 at 8:10 PM, Andie1 said:

Sasha Pieterse & Gleb Savchenko – Rumba – “Kiss The Girl” from The Little Mermaid

Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to have to mute this entire dance because the band is going to murder one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite movies?

• Love 4
On 10/11/2017 at 10:10 PM, Andie1 said:

Nick Lachey & Peta Murgatroyd – Quickstep – “The Bare Necessities” from The Jungle Book

Peta already covered this theme when she did a Tarzan dance with Nyle. Wish they'd given her something else :)

Also, have they completely done away with switch up week? 

6 hours ago, tessaforever said:

Also, have they completely done away with switch up week? 

Hope so! I've read various places that it was too much of a hassle for production (those traveling vs not traveling,  those with special needs, etc.)  What I really think happened was that they realized we (the fans) could use twitter analytics to determine the voting results and tptb didn't necessarily like fans calling them out when they decided to ignore the voting results - it was a massive waste of time.

• Love 1

Well he’s not exactly going to say that they do have a conflict. Personally the evidence is too overwhelming to ignore. It’s obvious they don’t like each and don’t get along. But of course they’ll push through for the show and their own bank balances’ sake.

Edited by Emily-D

It couldn't be clearer that they can't stand each other, but I wouldn't expect Nick to say anything but what he said. Apparently Maks didn't even travel to NYC with Vanessa this week so I think both of them are just going through the motions.

3 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Whatever happened, I think Vanessa's chances of winning are pretty much over thanks to Maks and his drama. I don't even really like her, but I do feel sorry for her.

Did Vanessa have a chance before all the drama?

• Love 4
On 10/13/2017 at 1:36 PM, Emily-D said:

Brand new Disney movie that comes out on Thanksgiving. Basically Nikki’s been given the same treatment David Ross got last season when they lumbered him with the yet to be released Cars 3. They’ve obviously chosen Nikki because she’s the most internationally known member of the cast and probably gets the most hits for her dances online. So of course that makes her the perfect patsy to use for a movie that needs promotion.

All true, but this one has the potential to be more interesting just because the nature of the movie is about music and dance, and the movie looks to have a lot of interesting visuals to pull from, where Cars 2 just felt shoehorned in. 

Looks like they've gotten an assist from a Ballet Folklorico company in LA, so fingers crossed they don't butcher the cultural aspects of it. 

• Love 1

Order for tonight's dances:

Victoria, Vanessa, Lindsey, Nick, Drew, Sasha, Terrell, Frankie, Jordan, and Nikki.

Or, what someone basically figured out, it's in order of the earliest film to the latest (I'm pretty sure, if I looked at the films' release years right). 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Order for tonight's dances:

Victoria, Vanessa, Lindsey, Nick, Drew, Sasha, Terrell, Frankie, Jordan, and Nikki.

Or, what someone basically figured out, it's in order of the earliest film to the latest (I'm pretty sure, if I looked at the films' release years right). 

I'm glad you pointed out about the timeline order of the Disney films. I was about to be miffed about some of the couples' placements.