Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Cottage Cheese and a Weird Buzz

paulvdb

I thought the plot with the tattoos was kind of stupid. I did like where Adam ended up and I hope we actually get to see one of his meetings. I don't want his group to become a regular thing, but it could be a way to do a classic sitcom plot. We hear the same story but from Adam's perspective and from Bonnie's perspective as each tells the other people at the meeting. We would also hear how the other people in the meeting respond. 

I thought the plot with Christy and Jill was pretty good. 

• Love 6

I thought that was a good one when Christy told Jill how much money means to her and how hard she works for it, when she has lost so much of it to gambling.  How awful to push Jill into the pool and not even try to help her when her dress prevented her from swimming.  I agree, that tattoo storyline was dumb.  I could do without the GA meetings and that new sponsor, I'd rather they just stick to the AA meetings.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Pdxblonde said:

Ugh Christy is a brat. It doesn’t matter if Jill doesn’t need the money or not. Pay her back as agreed 

Exactly. I love Christy, I just don't like when she pulls that entitled attitude. And she yells a lot. Calm down, sweetie. 

8 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I thought the plot with the tattoos was kind of stupid

It was funny when they walked up to the tattoo shop and the two guys walked out saying something about the "old people" getting tattoos. Bonnie and Adam were so offended. Yeah, I can totally relate to that. Sometimes I forget I'm old, too. It's weird how age creeps up on you.

I watched a year old episode yesterday, I don't know how I missed it the first time around. Christy and Bonnie accidentally ate some cookies with pot in them (they were Adam's cookies) and gave them to the girls, too. It was hilarious! 

• Love 9

I didn't care for Christy's storyline.

Of course Jill doesn't need the money. Of course she doesn't care about $75 a month. Christy was the one who insisted on paying her back, because Christy understood that paying back debts is crucial for managing her addiction. Now she's angry that Jill expects the money? Does she have amnesia?

It would have made a little more sense if Christy had been in a really tight financial bind - like if she and Bonnie desperately needed money for an exterminator for the ants - and Jill had demanded the $75 anyway. Then at least Christy would have had some reason for thinking that Jill was being unreasonable.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 7

I liked all the stories of this episode.  A good lesson for Christy, you reap what you sow, so to speak, and I liked the exchange with her GA sponsor. 

I wonder if Adam going to Al-Anon will open his eyes regarding Bonnie and realize that they really aren't a good match.  Then we will have an episode of Bonny getting Adam's named lasered off.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I didn't care for Christy's storyline.

Of course Jill doesn't need the money. Of course she doesn't care about $75 a month. Christy was the one who insisted on paying her back, because Christy understood that paying back debts is crucial for managing her addiction. Now she's angry that Jill expects the money? Does she have amnesia?

It would have made a little more sense if Christy had been in a really tight financial bind - like if she and Bonnie desperately needed money for an exterminator for the ants - and Jill had demanded the $75 anyway. Then at least Christy would have had some reason for thinking that Jill was being unreasonable.

Yes, sometimes I wonder about the realism (stupid thing to think about regarding a tv show) about someone as rich as Jill being friends with the rest of them. Her life would be so different that it would almost seem alien. However, the group has always been there for her and it does not seem like she has the same type of support from people close to her financial sphere.

43 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Dear Christy

there is a lovely place that is quiet and perfect for studying.

its called a public library.

Her law school should also have a library. I used to study in the library all the time, it is a great place to get some work done.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

It was funny when they walked up to the tattoo shop and the two guys walked out saying something about the "old people" getting tattoos. Bonnie and Adam were so offended.

That was my favorite scene.  I found this just a so-so episode, but I loved their offense at being called Grandma and Grandpa, promptly followed by Bonnie yelling at them to pull up their pants.

The "Bo" thing was a ripe-off of Roseanne, when Dan only got "Rose" instead of "Roseanne" tattooed on his arm because it hurt too much to go on, and he tried to (falsely) claim he calls her Rose all the time, but I laughed anyway, especially when "Bo" started catching on.

This episode illustrated why loaning money between friends is a bad idea, but Jill was really good about it, especially in the face of Christy being an unreasonable brat.

• Love 4

Yes, sometimes I wonder about the realism (stupid thing to think about regarding a tv show) about someone as rich as Jill being friends with the rest of them. Her life would be so different that it would almost seem alien. However, the group has always been there for her and it does not seem like she has the same type of support from people close to her financial sphere.

From what I can recall, Jill was more or less a trophy wife to her rich husband and got a huge divorce settlement, so it's likely her circle of friends went with him after the divorce. She knows Christy, Bonnie and the rest of the gang from AA so them all hanging out together makes sense to me. I also think she alienated whatever friends she had during her drinking binges - we saw a little of that in an earlier season where she had to go to some kind of society function, and she told Christy the last time she was there she made a spectacle of herself. It makes sense she wouldn't want to associate with most of those people, or they with her.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Dear Christy

there is a lovely place that is quiet and perfect for studying.

its called a public library.

I was thinking the same thing this morning. There's also the LAW LIBRARY at her school and the REGULAR Library at her school. Usually, the school libraries open early and close after midnight. No reason at all to try studying something that difficult at the damn kitchen table.

Instead of trying to study poolside (how ignorant is that?) I'm sure in Jill's marvelous Mansion there's a library, a study, an office, an empty unused bedroom with a desk? Something?

Seriously though. Tell me freeloader former inmate is leaving soon? I am so SICK of her. She's dragging the showdown. 

well...if I'm honest the show is on its last legs and probably won't get renewed...this season, overall, thus far, is a MESS. AND NOT FUN. AT ALL. I love this show but damn, this season is a chore to get through. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

It was funny when they walked up to the tattoo shop and the two guys walked out saying something about the "old people" getting tattoos. Bonnie and Adam were so offended. 

I guess Bonnie forgets that she's a great-grandmother.

• Love 4

Between not being able to find the library and completely missing the point about paying back her debts this was definitely not Christy's episode.

I enjoyed Adam and Marjorie's conversation - those are two characters we rarely see interact (last time I remember was the cookie episode). They should keep 'Bo' as a running gag.

No Wendy :(

• Love 9

I guess they want us to believe Adam was so twitchy about the tattoo he kept asking the guy the stop? Because in that first scene Bonnie's "Adam in a heart" was done and he only had the "B" at that point. Or was hers super tiny and his giant? That scene made no sense.

• Love 3
On 11/2/2018 at 3:12 PM, hnygrl said:

Seriously though. Tell me freeloader former inmate is leaving soon? I am so SICK of her. She's dragging the showdown. 

I've always liked Kristen Johnston, but now that she looks...different...her exaggerated mugging looks so grotesquely cartoonish.  And her behavior is OTT even for this show.  I'm hoping next week sees her character go "bye bye" and we get our sitcom back.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 9

I have to be in agreement with the too-much Tammy. Having her show up from time to time would be OK (maybe she gets that basement apartment that the foster daughter's mother lived in for a little while, and pops up once in a while at a meeting or to fix something).

I thought the tattoo story line was just stupid, other than the young people calling Adam and Bonnie "old." I thought for sure it was going to turn out that Bonnie had been getting temporary tattoos just to "shame" Adam because he chickened out getting her name tattooed on his back. And considering he'd been a stunt man, I find it a little unbelievable that he's that afraid of pain.

Christy was annoying, especially when she was whining about how Jill didn't appreciate Christy's attempts at paying her back. I totally agree with the Gamblers Anonymous sponsor that it was Christy's responsibility. Jill should add in the cost of the ruined dress to how much Christy owes her -- wasn't it something like $3000?

I was sorry to see Adam go to Al-Anon. Why don't they just make this show focus on meeting rooms revolving around the different meetings: Bonnie & Christy & the girls in AA; Christy & the sponsor in GA; Adam in Al-Anon. All they need is a compulsive overeater to go to OA. Think of what they'd save in set costs.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Christy was annoying, especially when she was whining about how Jill didn't appreciate Christy's attempts at paying her back. I totally agree with the Gamblers Anonymous sponsor that it was Christy's responsibility. Jill should add in the cost of the ruined dress to how much Christy owes her -- wasn't it something like $3000?

Wow, didn't think about the ruined dress.  Jill and Christy have a very strange love/hate kind of friendship.

• Love 2
On 11/3/2018 at 8:47 PM, LadyKenobi said:

The actress who plays Jill is so pretty and in great shape, and yet somehow wardrobe found a cut of swimsuit that made her look dumpy in the early scenes.

Jaime Pressly has given birth twice, the last time to twins.  The light color of the suit and all those crystals on it didn't disguise that fact, but it also showed how thin she is despite having her figure stretched out like that in the past.  I'm in decent shape, and I'd love to look that "dumpy" in a bathing suit.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9

Well, I'm actually glad they *finally* paid attention to Al-Anon. In reality, both Bonnie and Christy should arguably have been going to Al-Anon meetings to learn how to deal with each other (the qualification is that your life has been affected by someone else's drinking), so I'm glad to see Adam take it on, although I think they could have come up with a better plot to send him there. I actually like the branching out into GA and other addictions, too, not least because I like Ned, the sponsor (Sam McMurray) and his no-nonsense advice.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I was sorry to see Adam go to Al-Anon. Why don't they just make this show focus on meeting rooms revolving around the different meetings: Bonnie & Christy & the girls in AA; Christy & the sponsor in GA; Adam in Al-Anon. All they need is a compulsive overeater to go to OA. Think of what they'd save in set costs.

You left out Narcotics Anonymous. I've thought all along they should all be attending NA meetings as well as AA meetings, since they have all admitted to heroin and cocaine abuse, too.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I have to be in agreement with the too-much Tammy. Having her show up from time to time would be OK (maybe she gets that basement apartment that the foster daughter's mother lived in for a little while, and pops up once in a while at a meeting or to fix something).

I thought the tattoo story line was just stupid, other than the young people calling Adam and Bonnie "old." I thought for sure it was going to turn out that Bonnie had been getting temporary tattoos just to "shame" Adam because he chickened out getting her name tattooed on his back. And considering he'd been a stunt man, I find it a little unbelievable that he's that afraid of pain.

I absolutely love both of those ideas. As for Adam being a former stunt man, maybe it's a different kind of pain. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, wendyg said:

Well, I'm actually glad they *finally* paid attention to Al-Anon. In reality, both Bonnie and Christy should arguably have been going to Al-Anon meetings to learn how to deal with each other (the qualification is that your life has been affected by someone else's drinking),

There was that one episode were Christy was worried about Roscoe drinking and smoking pot.  Bonnie admitted to her that she had been attending Al-Anon to help her deal with Christy and Christy attended one of the meetings with her, then it was never mentioned again.

• Love 2

I think people miss the point with Christy and addiction.  Of course Jill does t need the money and the first time Christy is a penny behind on whatever her need are her addictive nature is going to use that to her benefit but she is essentially a good person and she will check herself when called on it because her friendship to Jill means mire then her gambling addiction or any other getting one over in some does at this point.

As for the tattoo story I think it was more about Adam a show if her runs down the hill to long with Bonnie things will get out of control.  I don’t think they are wrong for each other but I do think Adam needs to take Bonnie’s sobriety seriously which means him going to Al-anon.  

As for the tattoo story I think it was more about Adam a show if her runs down the hill to long with Bonnie things will get out of control. 

@Chaos Theory,   I'm not feeling well and just woke up so I might be to fuzzy-headed to get it. Can you please explain this sentence to me?  I've read it a few times and the m just not getting it.  Thanks. 

48 minutes ago, Talky Tina said:

As for the tattoo story I think it was more about Adam a show if her runs down the hill to long with Bonnie things will get out of control. 

@Chaos Theory,   I'm not feeling well and just woke up so I might be to fuzzy-headed to get it. Can you please explain this sentence to me?  I've read it a few times and the m just not getting it.  Thanks. 

Sorry my auto edit likes to make up sentences sometimes and I have trouble figuring out what I was trying to say.  Adam is fine with Bonnie until things get out of control and things start going downhill and having a group like Al-Alonon will give him the tools deal with her because Bonnie is essentially magnet for chaos. (Not what I initially said but I think my auto edit hates me)

On 11/2/2018 at 9:10 AM, Blakeston said:

I think Christy's story was like a diet.  People can start out strong with willpower, knowing what they need to do.  But then, at some point, that leftover birthday cake that your roommate brought home has been in your fridge for two days and they clearly don't want it so---just a bite, you know? And poof, the diet is gone and the roommate is mad they won't get their sugar fix.

I don't think she had amnesia but rather what seemed like something she needed to do started to feel like a token when she saw how much Jill had.

As for the tattoo story, I think they wanted to use something that has been described as addictive but not the hard core kind of addiction like alcohol or drugs.  And I've heard tattoos referred to that way--that once you get one, you feel compelled to keep getting them.  

• Love 2
On 11/3/2018 at 6:52 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

I've always liked Kristen Johnston, but now that she looks...different...her exaggerated mugging looks so grotesquely cartoonish.  And her behavior is OTT even for this show.  I'm hoping next week sees her character go "bye bye" and we get our sitcom back.

Agree!! She always sounds like she's yelling her lines too. I'd would rather have more Wendy and no Tammy.

• Love 4
On 11/4/2018 at 11:08 PM, jmonique said:

I just caught up with this show on Hulu, and this episode was kind of the perfect example of something I can't figure out: How/why, exactly, is Christy so entitled? 

She's a pretty white girl with a nice rack??

Edited by SmithW6079
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

As for the tattoo story, I think they wanted to use something that has been described as addictive but not the hard core kind of addiction like alcohol or drugs.  And I've heard tattoos referred to that way--that once you get one, you feel compelled to keep getting them.  

I do think of being covered in tattoos as a self-destructive behavior. They enjoy the pain similar to people who cut themselves. I'm also wondering how many of these people are eventually going to need liver transplants from having forced their livers to digest so much ink.

15 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:
On 11/4/2018 at 11:08 PM, jmonique said:

I just caught up with this show on Hulu, and this episode was kind of the perfect example of something I can't figure out: How/why, exactly, is Christy so entitled? 

She's a pretty white girl with a nice rack??

More like a cute, blond, white girl with an augmented rack.  The way she "presented" said rack to her new sponsor in the last episode was funny in an awkward, weird way.

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, SmithW6079 said:

The thing is that the two groups go hand in hand.  There are AA members in our Al-Anon group, because it truly is a family disease.  And Al-Anon was thrilled to get the mention - I get a newsletter to distribute to my group once a month, and they were over the moon to be mentioned in such a positive manner on a popular TV show.  And maybe while there, Adam could learn to dial back on his weed and beer.  No one is saying he has to give them up, but maybe he'll learn some control.  He needs to be there considering his situation.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, wendyg said:

Well, I'm actually glad they *finally* paid attention to Al-Anon. In reality, both Bonnie and Christy should arguably have been going to Al-Anon meetings to learn how to deal with each other (the qualification is that your life has been affected by someone else's drinking), so I'm glad to see Adam take it on, although I think they could have come up with a better plot to send him there. I actually like the branching out into GA and other addictions, too, not least because I like Ned, the sponsor (Sam McMurray) and his no-nonsense advice.

Exactly.  It's made such a huge difference in my life.  I missed a few meetings due to work, and haven't been able to do my step work with my sponsor for the same reason, and I can tell when I don't make meetings in a 2-3 week span - things start go sideways and I slip back in to bad habits (not drinking - the way I deal with things).

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, eel2178 said:

You left out Narcotics Anonymous. I've thought all along they should all be attending NA meetings as well as AA meetings, since they have all admitted to heroin and cocaine abuse, too.

I know they live in a city, but in most places, NA meetings are extremely short supplied, and Nar-Anon, the NA version of Al-Anon, is in even shorter supply, so many drug addicts end up at AA meetings and label themselves as such, or as cross addicts, since many have issues with booze too.

• Love 2

Talking about tattoos always reminds me of when my ex got our daughter's name tattooed on his arm.  The first thing I noticed was her name was misspelled (Samatha instead of Samantha). He was then known as The Walking Typo.  I started it or course (not a huge fan of tattoos).

I totally agree about Kristen Johnston.  She really needs to dial back how heavily she chews the scenery.  I think she forgets she is no longer Sally Solomon, former male military officer stuck in a human female body. I loved Third Rock from the Sun, but this show is nothing like it.

On 11/2/2018 at 7:47 AM, bichonblitz said:

Exactly. I love Christy, I just don't like when she pulls that entitled attitude. And she yells a lot. Calm down, sweetie. 

It was funny when they walked up to the tattoo shop and the two guys walked out saying something about the "old people" getting tattoos. Bonnie and Adam were so offended. Yeah, I can totally relate to that. Sometimes I forget I'm old, too. It's weird how age creeps up on you.

I watched a year old episode yesterday, I don't know how I missed it the first time around. Christy and Bonnie accidentally ate some cookies with pot in them (they were Adam's cookies) and gave them to the girls, too. It was hilarious! 

old people getting tattoos. doesn't that young asshole realize that some of us "old people" got tattoos when we were younger and sometimes still get them. and by the way, the younger generation(s) has ruined tattoos and part of what they stand for. it was part rebellion part bad ass. now every little pipsqueak has one or twenty. it means nothing. thanks you little shits for ruining something special. 

On 2018-11-04 at 4:44 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I absolutely love both of those ideas. As for Adam being a former stunt man, maybe it's a different kind of pain. 

I was wondering why if he was having trouble with the pain why he didn't get the tattoo on his legs. Since he obviously has limited sensation (or possibly none at all they've never really clarified that)in his legs.