Type keyword(s) to search

FBI - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I liked the episode and the way the case unfolded - from jealous ex husband to student teacher relationship to gang murder, it was a good case and a good investigation. But I didn’t care for the end, it felt more like a political statement about immigration than a part of the case, and I also wondered where the U.S. Attorney who would be prosecuting the murder case against the gang members was, his statement that he needed her testimony would be a lot more important than Maggie’s speech.

I thought that Jessica might’ve been playing the FBI as well for a while. 

I also thought it a bit odd that the girlfriend apparently didn’t tell the police that Patrick was at Coney Island when she first called them, they could’ve sent officers there quickly, it might’ve been too late but still, that seemed like an error in the plot.

More of Scola and Kristen please, I find them compelling, O.A. still gets on my nerves sometimes. 

I’ve come to like Isobel a lot more. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mxc90 said:

When did ICE find out Jessica has a violent history? When she opened up to Maggie and OA? 

Maggie made a promise to Jessica and the judge didn't honor it??!!? I'm shocked she didn't follow Maggie's word! 

The FBI told the U.S. Attorney, who in turn told ICE.  Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, an immigrant can be removed for committing a crime of moral turpitude. The immigration hearing was to consider whether  removal was warranted, and the immigration judge considered the murder a crime of moral turpitude. 

Edited to add, they did not use the term "moral turpitude" in the episode.  This is just my interpretation from studying immigration law some years ago.  I thought the basis of the removal should have been explained better.

Edited by nittanycougar

Maybe keeping Jessica here will be a part II episode. 

The sap in me wanted her here and safe.   And personally I don’t want Maggie to drop it or let it be dropped by anyone.  

The judge’s hands might have been tied but that doesn’t mean it needs to be let go.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

The FBI told the U.S. Attorney, who in turn told ICE.  Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, an immigrant can be removed for committing a crime of moral turpitude. The immigration hearing was to consider whether  removal was warranted, and the immigration judge considered the murder a crime of moral turpitude. 

Edited to add, they did not use the term "moral turpitude" in the episode.  This is just my interpretation from studying immigration law some years ago.  I thought the basis of the removal should have been explained better.

Of course the basic story had been done by Law & Order many times before that guy rode down the escalator  with immigration being the issue separating him from professional Republican politicians. So when the ICE guy made his I can't especially now statement it was an eye rolling bad political push.

"Can be" isn't the same as "must be" and you think  the Attorney General can have a talk with the Homeland Security Secretary just like they do within the Justice Department or even going so far as to force the federal will on the individual state counterparts when one US Attorney wants to give someone a pass into witness protection

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/13/2019 at 4:11 AM, Kelda Feegle said:

I didn't much like him in Bones but I thought it was the character mannerisms but now I see him in this show with the same mannerisms I dislike him even more, YMMV.

So tow eps in a row Jubal is eating snacks in a very obvious manner - when will this anvil drop?

I thought this was funny because Scola's whole "quirk" on Bones was that he was constantly eating.

On 11/13/2019 at 10:47 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

Once again they get everything wrong. The number 3 train terminates in Brooklyn at New Lots Avenue. It was famous for being the most dangerous train in the system and was called the beast. There is no Housten street stop.

OA is really out of line for stopping his cousin from getting on the job. He really is a sanctimonious asshole.

Do you just mean in Brooklyn or something? There is a Houston street stop for the 1 & 2 trains in the Village.

I don't think it is an asshole move to tell the truth about someone who will be depended upon by the city and its residents to be of upstanding moral character, absolutely, scrupulously honest, and always ready and able to do the right thing, even at the personal cost of injury or death. OA is literally protecting the people HE swore an oath to protect.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:40 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

He is a sanctimonious asshole because he couldn’t recommend his cousin because he has a problem “telling the truth.” What did he lie about eating the last falafel. To be a cop stretching the truth is a feature not a bug. Especially if he goes undercover like OA supposedly did when your whole life is a lie. Hasn’t he ever heard of “testalying” which is a class in the academy.

I do agree that the cousin was wrong to rely on OA for anything. Big mistake. He would have been a lot better off if he never mentioned him at all.

OA didn't make his final decision or say anything to the person who called for the reference until after he had seen his cousin's application, and noted that there were "inaccuracies," misstatements, and probably a few outright lies sprinkled in there. It wasn't that he ruled it out altogether, but he gave him the benefit of the doubt, and talked to the person and reviewed his application, which confirmed cuz was still sitting there with pants on fire. I think OA made the only morally and ethically justified call.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:55 AM, Ellee said:

@Dowel Jones 

Like your post and the part that made me go ‘duh, Ellee, that didn’t even cross your mind’ was ‘Why would the auto lighting system work for Maggie and OA but not for the spy?’  

😁

This killed me too. Was he wearing his Invisibility Cloak or something?

• Love 2

I get that the local PD is strapped for resources, but they went right up the chain to the FBI for assistance for a state crime?  There's no county or even state police resources available?

ICE guy:  "I can't intervene.  It would mean my career."

FBI (publicly):  "Because our only witness to the gang member's confession has been deported by ICE, we have to release these 5 members of DT15 back to the streets of New York."

OCE guy:  "Oh, shit."

Maggie was absolutely right about OA.  He could say he would take a bullet, but if he was in the Middle East somewhere, and a militia guy gave him that choice when he was 14, would he still take that bullet?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Local police: "OMG! A woman reported that her husband didn't come home from work last night. This is way too big for us, we need all our officers to guard the local doughnut shops! Call in the FBI immediately! Only they have the resources to solve such a huge case."

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Rambler said:

A woman reported that her husband didn't come home

Not even her husband---she was in the process of getting a divorce from someone else. He was just her boyfriend/fiance

• Like 1

As soon as Maggie said, 'go back to your place and pack a few things' I knew that wouldn't end well.  And why didn't they firm up the WITSEC thing first before ENDANGERING HER LIFE!

• Like 1

What is up with the page? Its all in the middle and and kinda strange to read. Even typing this is weird too, I like it it used to be. 

Didn't care for this episode anyways and I admit, I thought Jessica would end up being deported. No new episode until next year? 

1 hour ago, Waterston Fan said:

What is up with the page? Its all in the middle and and kinda strange to read. Even typing this is weird too, I like it it used to be. 

It's "center justified format" instead of "left justified". EVERYTHING is centered---the "A", "B", etc on customized homepage, individual subforums, posts, etc. It's the entire forums page and there's no way to fix it. I hope it's just a temporary glitch (I submitted a bug report anyway, expressing my displeasure if it's permanent).

Here is the synopsis for the next episode (S02.E10) airing on December 17th, titled "Ties That Bind". I have a feeling this will be it until the new year!

A former kidnapping victim is linked to a series of murders that includes the daughter of an NYPD detective. Also, Kristen begins to doubt her ability as an agent after a training exercise leaves her shaken.

• Love 1

Besides the fact that a simple missing adult gone less than 24 hours is not an FBI case.... who in their right mind would ignore a request from their boyfriend to call the  police immediately? A boyfriend she said always came home when he says he would or early? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Well that was interesting, I called the twist of the brother being involved the minute he showed up on the screen, but I was unsure of whether he did it alone or whether both brothers were involved. What I didn’t see coming was the cliffhanger of Kristen’s life being in danger, I don’t think she’s leaving the show but still I didn’t see that coming. 

I liked the episode overall I thought it was a good plot even though it was somewhat predictable.

I did wonder why the police didn’t question Andrew in Jenny’s murder the first time around, given that he had a relationship with her that just ended, that seemed like a hole in the plot. 

Jubal was good with the NYPD detective father. I do think the father is somewhat responsible for what happened to Kristen, he escalated the situation, and Maggie moved in too quick to arrest Jordan, if she hadn’t moved in so quickly and instead waited for OA and Scola to arrive I don’t think Kristen would’ve gotten attacked.

I noticed we’ve seen the ME in this episode a couple of times before, I like having a recurring ME. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

The more serious crime was no one on the bus gave the old lady a seat. New Yorkers can do better.  

"She is missing for 12 hours. I was missing for 6 years". That's not the right time to be a dick Andrew!

4 FBI agents go in and 20 plus NYPD officers just wait outside. Where was SWAT Jubal sent?

The moment Jordan was introduced, you knew he was the killer. Show is getting too predictable. It's never the 1st and 2nd person they suspect.

I liked the profiler "changing her tune" to Jordan after she was so sure it was Andrew. She was useless!

Terrible ending! Maggie has to be in the wrong for not making Jordan have his hands raised or check to see if he's holding a weapon. Some how they will put all the blame on Kristin for not properly backing her up. 

Angry Papa Harry just stood there as Maggie struggles with Jordan. What was the point of adding him to the scene to enter the room/gun drawn? He didn't shoot Jordan for insulting his daughter or help Maggie.

I hope Kristen isn't written off the show.

Edited by mxc90
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I also suspected the brother. Tight casting doesn't allow extraneous characters. And Andrew was too obvious so early on. Yes, the takedown was a thorough screwup, Maggie's second on this case -- the other was showing the victim only Andrew's picture instead of a photo lineup. I almost expected her to walk away because her man wasn't the perp. The smart money is on Kristin's recovery. Again, no disposable characters.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

and Maggie moved in too quick to arrest Jordan, if she hadn’t moved in so quickly and instead waited for OA and Scola to arrive I don’t think Kristen would’ve gotten attacked.

The bigger question is why was Maggie paired with Kristin and OA paired with Scola for the takedown?   And how did the father/detective get into the act?  That ending scene was really screwed up.

ETA: the master profiler is the Mayor of New Orleans on NCIS: New Orleans.

Edited by preeya
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Bobbin said:

I also suspected the brother. Tight casting doesn't allow extraneous characters. And Andrew was too obvious so early on. Yes, the takedown was a thorough screwup, Maggie's second on this case -- the other was showing the victim only Andrew's picture instead of a photo lineup. I almost expected her to walk away because her man wasn't the perp. The smart money is on Kristin's recovery. Again, no disposable characters.

I knew it was the brother because this was ripped off from the Stayner brothers, sort of. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Kristen screwed up in the training exercise, then she walked up to the suspect and turned her attention away from him to (apparently) distract Maggie right when he was swinging a knife around. Frankly, I'd be very surprised if she doesn't get a severe reprimand and demotion. Given that this would give everyone an opportunity to rail on about misogyny, it's almost guaranteed.

11 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I hope Kristen isn't written off the show.

She'll survive.  All they need to do is fasten a tourniquet tightly around her neck.

The brother was obvious from before he uttered his first word of dialogue.

Daddy drawing a pistol and threatening the suspect could - maybe should - have earned him two rounds in the head.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Agreeing that the brother was the obvious villain from the moment he was introduced. Sick of the whole serial killer and profiler storylines, too. 

Why does the FBI: Most Wanted spinoff have a place on the landing page list of 'Dramas', but the OG has to be hunted for in the 'Other Dramas' purgatory?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Why does the FBI: Most Wanted spinoff have a place on the landing page list of 'Dramas', but the OG has to be hunted for in the 'Other Dramas' purgatory?

FBI is all in one thread. Presumably, they are expecting FBI:MW to have multi-threads/sub-forums (like the original did--one for each episode, "in the media", cast/characters, etc.) That's probably the difference!

• Love 1

I think Kristen is a goner.  She was in a huge pool of blood, with no end in sight. I thought they were indicating that the assailant got her in the jugular vein, and she was bleeding out.

If she doesn't die from her wounds, she will at least be too disabled to be a FBI field agent.   Maybe she'll recover and work the desk.

Who knows, though? She could make a miraculous recovery.  I have to admit I have been bitching all season about how much I dislike Kristen.   She just annoyed me. Maybe I'm not the only one.

Edited by nittanycougar
On 12/18/2019 at 1:25 AM, preeya said:

The bigger question is why was Maggie paired with Kristin and OA paired with Scola for the takedown?   And how did the father/detective get into the act?  That ending scene was really screwed up.

ETA: the master profiler is the Mayor of New Orleans on NCIS: New Orleans.

In agreement about the ending scene but other than having Kristin get knifed, the show was so predictable from when we saw Suspect #1's Mother and Brother.  I saw the mom's red hair and said to my viewing companion, "The brother did it.  The mom has red hair; all the vics have red hair - the brother is probably resentful that mom spent years hunting the kidnapped son and son #2 is taking it out on the pretty redheads in lieu of mom"  Yawn.  

And I KNEW I saw that profiler woman on another show!  Was her hair or makeup different on NCIS NO?  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Naturally the only episode that reminds us Kristen is a rookie field agent is the one where she gets hurt.  All season they’ve been having her solve cases and act  as a seasoned agent.  It was so noticeable it bothered me every episode. I like the character and the actress, I hope she’s back. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Naturally the only episode that reminds us Kristen is a rookie field agent is the one where she gets hurt.  All season they’ve been having her solve cases and act  as a seasoned agent.  It was so noticeable it bothered me every episode. I like the character and the actress, I hope she’s back. 

Agent Bell was an ex police officer before the FBI while Agent Zidan was an Army Ranger officer. So I guess Agent Chazal was just a civilian analyst before becoming a Special Agent?

21 minutes ago, Raja said:

Agent Bell was an ex police officer before the FBI while Agent Zidan was an Army Ranger officer. So I guess Agent Chazal was just a civilian analyst before becoming a Special Agent?

I think so- but then I don’t remember that we ever got a back story on her.   According to the ridiculous series Quantico( which I unfortunately watched),analysts do get some basic training. 

Here is the synopsis for S02.E11: "Fallout", airing on January 7, 2020:

After a businessman with a history of harassment claims against him is killed, the team suspects it may be one of his many accusers.

• Love 1

Some questionable decisions in the field from Maggie and OA:

1. Maggie is prepared to shoot Sarah as she turns around and OA quickly jumps in front of Maggie to shoot Sarah. OA could have been shot in the back.

2. Maggie (not wearing a wire) assumes 20 agents are backing her up as she decides to deviate from the plan. She's lucky Shoals only knocked her down and didn't shoot her.

Maggie probably feels guilty for seeing Kristin because she will be reminded she didn't bother to check the criminal for any weapons that led to Kristen's injury.

Real smart for Emily to walk in on her first day and tell the upset group she is the "new Kristin". How could she not know an agent was stabbed the day before and fighting for her life?

It was nice ( for a change) to see Scola and Emily sit back/watch as the Jubal and the others connect the dots.

Did Jubal "jinx it" by tossing the wrist band in the trash before Kristen's return?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I thought this episode did a pretty good job of balancing out the case with Kristen’s situation. I pretty much knew Kristen would survive but they handled it well. 

I once again called the perp the minute she appeared on screen, I thought it was obvious she was behind it, however the stuff about the woman he was eating lunch with being his daughter I didn’t see coming and I liked the twists the episode took in getting to the bottom of it. 

I thought it made sense that everyone was a bit off given the situation with Kristen but yes it was very risky to do what Maggie did. I liked Jubal’s coolness in managing the situation from the office. 

How did Scola’s new partner not know that Kristen had been stabbed? That seemed really weird to me. I wonder how long she will be on the show. I do like Scola a lot, he’s been a good addition to the show. 

I’m still liking how a lot of people in the office are getting stuff to do and I like their interactions with Jubal and how everyone is working together to piece things together. 

Overall this was a pretty good episode. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Will someone ever think that when following or seeing a perp on the street they should get close enough to apprehend before hollering "Stop, FBI" from a football field's length (100 yards) away.

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Will someone ever think that when following or seeing a perp on the street they should get close enough to apprehend before hollering "Stop, FBI" from a football field's length (100 yards) away.

Then you need more padding in the show because there would be no chase scenes and nobody would get shot.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Did Jubal "jinx it" by tossing the wrist band in the trash before Kristen's return?

I had this mental image of Jubal missing the can, and the director calling out "Okay, Jubal shoots the rubber band into the trash can, Take 16.  Action!"

You would think a professional assassin would have no qualms about whirling around and drilling both Maggie and OA on the street.  She already had one murder against her; why worry about two FBI agents?  I mean, that's what Villanelle would do.

As soon as the agents heard that the dead businessman was dying of cancer, I thought it would have been prudent to check on his will to see who gets what.  They would have had that conversation with the attorney a lot earlier.  Having said that, even with the director gone, does the foundation get that money?  The poor waitress is going to be pissed!

• Love 2

Going to be an exceptional agent?

Haven't seen any sign of that so far.  Only incompetence, clumsiness and poor agenting skills. Guess if she'd been killed she would automatically have become a candidate for canonization!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, UnknownK said:

Then you need more padding in the show because there would be no chase scenes and nobody would get shot.

Yeah, that too. But once in awhile can't there be a clean arrest without a chase.

It's gotten to the point (on all cop shows) where the call out and ensuing chase is S.O.P.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Dowel Jones said:

You know, if my carotid artery had been nicked and then sewed back up, I damn sure wouldn't be taking any chances of rupturing the sutures by doing something unnecessary in the jawline area, such as, maybe, talking.

I thought the same thing last night -- way too much talking and moving of her neck.  Didn't seem to make a bit of sense.  You'd think she'd be in a neckbrace or something to immobilize her neck for a good length of time.

• Love 3

This episode was okay but I always thought Kristen was going to come back. The agent who took over for her, I don't know how she didn't know that Kristen was the one who she is temporarily replacing. 

I do like the twists later and I wish Maggie didn't do crazy things but glad OA seems to know her well enough to keep an eye on her. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I wish Maggie didn't do crazy things

I wonder if the show is setting her up for some kind of enforced absence, a la New Amsterdam, to allow  Missy Peregrym to take some maternity leave.

• Love 3
On January 8, 2020 at 12:39 AM, preeya said:

I'm so glad you brought this up.   It's not just this show; they're all doing it and it drives me crazy.   The call out is always premature and leads to a chase.  

• Like 1

Here is the description for S02.E12: "Hard Decisions", to air on January 14, 2020:

A bank hold-up leads the team to a safe deposit box, the contents of which have the potential to destroy national security. Also, Kristen is eager to get back into field work while other team members still have their concerns.

Adam Mizrah is a honest thief. He only takes the memory stick from the safety box and leaves the $40,000 in cash. I admire that!

How long was Jubal waiting to say the 'fatal error" line?

The first person that wants to kill Bates/Sentinel is the hot dog vendor for throwing away the buns every two or three times a week. 

Almost felt bad for the Sentinel (Manson wannabe). He got caught because he was responsible to wash his dishes and careless to not wash his clothes so the dog could track him to the panic room. He was so close to tears when he realized his bomb plan failed. 

Too bad for Kristen! She got screwed and is never getting out of the JOC now. Jubal couldn't see the look of disappointment on her face.

So why was Agent Emily Ryder added to the show? Kristen could have stayed in the field and those background agents in the JOC could provide the same skills she has in deducing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I really liked this episode - the plot was very good and took some nice twists and I really liked how the story resolved itself with Jubal tricking the villain, that was great. 

The interactions between the characters were good, particularly between Jubal and Isobel, I like their dynamic a lot, they had nice chemistry on Law and Order and they have good chemistry here. 

I found the villains to be extremely unlikable and was glad to see them all go down. 

So I wonder how long Kristen will be in the office? And will Emily stay on for a while? Should be interesting to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3