Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

OK - this is a bit of a rant.  We (on the board) ALWAYS criticize the American for not eating whatever they are given in the foreign country - even when they are CLEARLY being trolled.  Snails, you don't know how to even cook?  Cow foot?  Balut - that I didn't see Hazel happily chomping down?  Chicken feet?  I'm not saying it's wrong to criticize them BUT - when the foreign person arrives in this country and they are offered something the American clearly eats - breakfast burrito, cheesesteak, beef stew - somehow it is OK for the foreign person to turn up their nose.  Leida wasn't going to like ANY food offered by Eric while little Aless was happily trying anything new offered to him.  I'm not saying the person should simply eat anything awful forever, but Colt and Debbie clearly were not trying to troll Larissa with the food - Debbie even told her she could have something else if she didn't like stew.  Yes, Eric did not present the cheesesteak with any finesse but it wasn't like he was going out of his way to find something he personally thought was disgusting.  Even though the American is not offering something we may feel is appropriate - I truly believe they are trying to do their best.

• Love 15

Leida wasn't going to like ANY food offered by Eric

I can't stand this whiny bitch who thinks she is all that and a bag of Doritos and will never have one positive thing to say about her BUT when that fool Eric comes back to the table and plonks down one cheesesteak sandwich; one of the messiest sandwiches there ever was,  with no napkins, no plates, no knife in which to cut it (in a food court that is full of these things) and expects them to rip and tear into it like a bunch of animals?  BLEGH.  That was so gross.  What a manner-less pig this guy is.  This to me was even worse than the Thong Finding Incident with Fernanda.  Because it was an indication of what life will be like with him.  GROSS.  I would have been booking myself a flight back to Indonesia after this. ( I would have also stood up and went and found myself a knife and a plate and some napkins, but of course Princess Leida did not.)  I would last zero minutes with a guy like this.

I truly believe they are trying to do their best.

Exactly.  That IS Eric's best.  And even this bitch deserves better than that.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 20
8 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I can't stand this whiny bitch who thinks she is all that and a bag of Doritos and will never have one positive thing to say about her BUT when that fool Eric comes back to the table and plonks down one cheesesteak sandwich; one of the messiest sandwiches there ever was,  with no napkins, no plates, no knife in which to cut it (in a food court that is full of these things) and expects them to rip and tear into it like a bunch of animals?  BLEGH.  That was so gross.  What a manner-less pig this guy is.  This to me was even worse than the Thong Finding Incident with Fernanda.  Because it was an indication of what life will be like with him.  GROSS.  I would have been booking myself a flight back to Indonesia after this.  I would last zero minutes with a guy like this.

I think part of the problem is WE already know how Eric lives so, of course, we KNOW he has no class.  Not trying to make this go on forever, but Reading Terminal is NOT a typical food court.  He would have had to remember to ask the vendor for plates, napkins, etc.  I really thought he asked the vendor to cut the cheesesteak in to smaller parts so they could each have a part - you can't really cut a cheesesteak up with one of those little plastic knives - you need a big one.

3 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Eric could have come back with a virtual cornucopia of amazing foodstuffs, but he plopped down one sandwich with no plates or utensils.  Not even a bag of chips to split.  Four people, one sandwich?!

I'm NOT saying this was an appropriate meal for 4 people or that Eric served it with any degree of finesse - I AM saying it's possible they were trying small quantities of various things to see what they would like and TLC simply chose not to show it.  If one cheese steak is ALL they were offered there really is no excuse!

• Love 4
On 11/4/2018 at 3:09 PM, gonecrackers said:

Yeah I was thinking if she's sleeping in who gets them to school or whatever, because if too young for school small kids tend to be up early. But she probably doesn't work every night & maybe shares custody according to her schedule. Maybe we'll be finding out more of her lifestyle as she settles in with Jay.

Oh man... I guess you're not familiar with the ever present enabling mother/grandmas of the world. There has GOT to be one there for this chick. The sense of entitlement and excessive personal time to carry out their sexual (and other) whims is real. Let's hold our breaths and see what her child care is like. If not then it probably goes to the ex's mommy. Grandma is the new "mom." 

*I fully support the grandmas who help their single children so they can WORK to make a living. Not all the other stuff that happens in between. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, iwasish said:

I think it was right after she lost her virginity.... for the first time. 

I never understood the "lost" part of this expression, but I guess she kept losing it & finding it again somewhere...  anyway carry on.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, RichiesOlderBro said:

I’m not sure her children live with her.  She sure didn’t rush in to check on them having been gone for a week.  

Why would the kids be home alone while their mother was in Jamaica? They were probably staying with a friend, or their dad. And really, if she was coming home late wouldn't it make better sense to pick them up the next day? Especially since it was going to be Jay's first night in his new home. (woo hoo! cue up the Mattress Tango!). I'm not going to make any assumptions about Ashley's kids and her relationship to them. I'm hoping that she's responsible enough of a parent not to expose her kids to this. Or its possible that their father(s) objected. Either way, I'm all for leaving her kids out of it. If they're not a part of the story there's no need to show Ashley putting on her mommy hat.

16 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Steven is very niave but also very young. He seems to want to do the right thing and is even interested in learning Russian. None of the other Americans ever seemed interested in learning another language, looking at you Pole. 

I just love Steven. He's a dear. I am pulling for him and Olga. They're young and they think they can do anything. That feeling of invincibility may stand them in good stead.

7 hours ago, queenjen said:

Does anyone know if Asuelu knows yet that Kalani told her sister and family that he 'cheated' on her? Does Asuelu even know he was supposed to have actually CHEATED on her? I don't remember if we ever saw her fess up to HIM about it, like she did her sister, and presumably the rest of that cluster of spiders she calls a family.

The guy seems like he's ready to flee back to Samao if no one gives him a 'beautiful smile' soon, and I don't blame him. I can't even imagine how Oliver happened that one time Kalani lost her virginity. I think the shop might be shut for Asuelu. He looks terrified enough to flee. Finding out that Kalani has also been salting his well while he's been selling seashells back in Samoa at the resort waiting to fly over to his new family? I think that's going to seriously set him off. I wonder what his voice sounds like angry?

The thing I don't get is--didn't Kalani and Asuelu break up? What is it nowadays, with all this breaking up but somehow still having a claim on a person? Breaking up is not part of your relationship arc! If you break up with me I'm going to consider myself free and available, I'm not going to be moping around waiting for us to get back together! Kalani is acting like a teenager. Not a very bright one, either. And her sister is acting like a jealous lover. Its all very weird and distasteful, the family dynamics are cray. And I thought RIVER was creepy and over invested in his sister's sex life! Move over, baby boy. Kalini is in town to steal your creepy crown.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 20
58 minutes ago, Drogo said:

10 Awesome Things to Eat at Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia

Eric could have come back with a virtual cornucopia of amazing foodstuffs, but he plopped down one sandwich with no plates or utensils.  Not even a bag of chips to split.  Four people, one sandwich?!

I get that not everyone can afford a smorgasbord lunch, but shit if money is tight, at least cut that sucker into quarters and make everyone a plate.  Paper goods is free, bruh.

*Don't mind me; I'm just salty he didn't stick to fighting ISIS.  Based on cheesesteak math, I believe he could've taken out four rebels with one bullet.

I'm saying! Flying Monkey's whoopie pies are bomb. Try a pretzel! Get some shit to eat in the car. All Reading Terminal is is delicious food! I think at the core, it's this: 

29 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Everything that Eric does will annoy me because everything he does seems to be done with a flourish of rudeness, cheapness, condescension, or misogyny.   He doesn't even have to say much for it to be obvious. It's in his body language, it's in the rude manner he greets his future inlaws. He shows such utter disregard for leida and her family (the sister can pack sand, snatching the kid away from the grandpa like he is his object now, etc). You can tell he sees them as lesser. I couldn't imagine treating my inlaws this way.  He doesn't care enough about Leida to be honest about his living situation because he believes once she gets there it does not matter what she thinks - it will be his way or the highway.  

He just seems like a dick.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Sometimes I wonder if TLC purposely leaves out the details or answers to the obvious questions that viewers have just to manipulate or mess with the viewers. Like it seems obvious to explain if Kalani has a job or not but they don't. Or show anything from Larissa's life before she came to the U.S. I can think of several examples. They want to make the viewers wonder.  Just frustrating that we have all these obvious questions as viewers and then you think they will be asked at the tell-all and instead they ask stupid fluff questions and intrusive questions about sex lives that NO ONE wants to hear about. 

2 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

I'm NOT saying this was an appropriate meal for 4 people or that Eric served it with any degree of finesse - I AM saying it's possible they were trying small quantities of various things to see what they would like and TLC simply chose not to show it.  If one cheese steak is ALL they were offered there really is no excuse!

Quoting these together because they're related.  I agree with @DaphneCat that Eric may have intended the cheesesteak as a sampler for everyone to try, which to me is actually a great thing to do, and an advantage to being somewhere with several people to be able to sample even more stuff.

And to @PinkFlamingo, I'll say that this is a good example of what TLC could do in the editing process.  Reality TV is not made to educate people; it's made to make money.  And they make money by having viewers coming back, so it's not in TLC's interest to tell us the things we want to know if it would lessen the drama.  So your use of the word "manipulate" is spot on.

I've always known this in the back of my mind, which is why I try not to get too worked up over what I see on reality TV--I know it's all manufactured for a purpose that has no relation to answering my questions, or sometimes even reality.  But it went to a different level with the whole Darcey and Jesse thing, where they were more or less co-conspirators with the producers of the show.  So now I can't trust the producers, and I can't necessarily trust the "talent" and believe they're being real, but are getting a certain edit.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I just love Steven. He's a dear. I am pulling for him and Olga. They're young and they think they can do anything. That feeling of invincibility may sand them in good stead.

I didn't expect to like him after the first episode where he just seemed very slackerish to me, but he is a likable kid and I love that he wants to learn Russian and is trying.

• Love 6

I was so put off by Kool-Aid just sitting there looking ahead blankly as her father interrogated Asuelo. I mean, at least look like you're invested, hold his hand, cajole your father. She just checked out during that whole conversation.

So, Colt doesn't like bread in the morning 'ey Mother Debbie? You should check out the football sized croissants he likes to scarf down then.

Steven reminds me of a clean cut Puck from season 2 San Francisco Real World.

Edited by Lady Iris
  • Love 16
On 11/4/2018 at 10:35 PM, Frozendiva said:

Eric, you are not the beast to your Malaysian beauty. There will be no reversal of the spell that currently keeps you in a dingy apartment that you share with your daughter. Why she is really with you hasn't been revealed yet.

Sure it has.  She wants to be a doctor in the US.  Maybe Eric thinks that's his ticket out of sharing an apartment with his daughter.  What hasn't been revealed yet afaik is what Eric does for a living.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Eldemarge said:

I'm still hung up on the "Best Cheddar in the World" incident.   Why did Eric point it out if he wasn't planning on getting any?  Was he thinking Leida would buy the cheese for them?  Why does she need HIM to buy HER cheese if she's so well off?  Just buy the cheese if you want it.  This is really bugging me.  Basically, if she comes from money, she'd have some money to spend on this trip and wouldn't have to depend on ol' Eyebags to buy her and her son food (which it doesn't look like he's actually up to doing).

I think he was just bragging bc he's from Wisconsin.

22 hours ago, Granny58 said:

I agree with you 100%.  I am at work thinking about their situation (yes, pathetic).  He can be attractive and she is attractive enough.  There is nothing unusual about her wanting a bigger house (not huge, but bigger than 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, no basement) and a pool.  I have median income friends with pools.   

The house looked spacious from the outside. Did anyone actually say it has only 2 bedrooms?

Nothing wrong with her saying she wants a pool. When ppl get mnarried  the household income increases by a lot and they can afford things they once could not.

3 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

OK - this is a bit of a rant.  We (on the board) ALWAYS criticize the American for not eating whatever they are given in the foreign country - even when they are CLEARLY being trolled.  Snails, you don't know how to even cook?  Cow foot?  Balut - that I didn't see Hazel happily chomping down?  Chicken feet?  I'm not saying it's wrong to criticize them BUT - when the foreign person arrives in this country and they are offered something the American clearly eats - breakfast burrito, cheesesteak, beef stew - somehow it is OK for the foreign person to turn up their nose.  Leida wasn't going to like ANY food offered by Eric while little Aless was happily trying anything new offered to him.  I'm not saying the person should simply eat anything awful forever, but Colt and Debbie clearly were not trying to troll Larissa with the food - Debbie even told her she could have something else if she didn't like stew.  Yes, Eric did not present the cheesesteak with any finesse but it wasn't like he was going out of his way to find something he personally thought was disgusting.  Even though the American is not offering something we may feel is appropriate - I truly believe they are trying to do their best.

IDK but I think many of those American dishes are available and popular in other countries. 

3 hours ago, Drogo said:

I get that not everyone can afford a smorgasbord lunch, but shit if money is tight, at least cut that sucker into quarters and make everyone a plate.  Paper goods is free, bruh.

Then stay single. He's giving me NiceGuy TM vibes.

• Love 3
On 11/5/2018 at 8:09 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I'm laughing at the cheesesteak scene, no napkins, no drinks (not even a large coke with 4 straws), no way.  He could have made it fun and taken them to the original Pat's, Geno's or Tony Lukes, they are touristy icons. Reading Terminal is a very interesting place to walk around and see all the stalls, they even have a beer garden! I hope he got his parking garage ticket validated or leaves before the free two hours are up.  He could take them to the Liberty Bell and walk around the Old City, tons of stuff for kids in Philadelphia to do but I am sure it did not occur to him or he did not want to pay admission to anything. 

I was surprised he took them to Reading Terminal Market, which as you say is a great place to wander around in and taste all kinds of things.  A cheesesteak he could have bought anywhere; in RTM, you have Amish people with all kinds of homemade pastries and other goodies, you can get *alligator*--not to mention home-made ice cream!  It's a wonderful place to visit for Americans.  There's no reason on earth for people from a country with its own exotic cuisine to want to come to Philadelphia to eat alligator.  My foreign guests have all been interested to see the damn Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Society Hill--Philadelphia is full of historical sights.  Of course, maybe Leida and her family aren't familiar with US history, which then leads to the question of why not make a day trip to NYC, which Eric does know interests them?  He could feed them street food from wagons for lunch (maybe not as cheap as a cheesesteak for four, but not too expensive), and looking at Trump Tower is free.  The two women would have been overjoyed to window shop on Fifth Avenue--it's clear they know about New York.  I think Eric just wanted a cheesesteak.

• Love 7

Bless Eric's heart, I thought he looked pretty pleased to be offering them that philly cheese steak but even I was like, damn you only got one to split? Alessandro seemed to enjoy it. He's a quiet adorable little boy. Gonna give our Lucy a run for Best Offspring Stuck in the Middle of a Shitshow of International Love and Intrigue.

Edited by Lady Iris
  • Love 7
On 11/6/2018 at 2:05 PM, Brooklynista said:

Dunno...perhaps Kelani is a perfectionist??

Well, now that there’s a baby that boat has officially float- & sailed away, never to be found again. 

Edited by gonecrackers
added to it
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, eatsleep said:

Nothing wrong with her saying she wants a pool. When ppl get mnarried  the household income increases by a lot and they can afford things they once could not.

She may want a pool because it's so damn hot! I would! I've commented on the House Hunters forum that if I had to live in the desert or somewhere where it's hot year-round, I'd want a pool. I'd use it, too - love the water.

2 minutes ago, Mothra said:

I was surprised he took them to Reading Terminal Market, which as you say is a great place to wander around in and taste all kinds of things.  A cheesesteak he could have bought anywhere; in RTM, you have Amish people with all kinds of homemade pastries and other goodies, you can get *alligator*--not to mention home-made ice cream!  It's a wonderful place to visit for Americans.  There's no reason on earth for people from a country with its own exotic cuisine to want to come to Philadelphia to eat alligator.  My foreign guests have all been interested to see the damn Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Society Hill--Philadelphia is full of historical sights.  Of course, maybe Leida and her family aren't familiar with US history, which then leads to the question of why not make a day trip to NYC, which Eric does know interests them?  He could feed them street food from wagons for lunch (maybe not as cheap as a cheesesteak for four, but not too expensive), and looking at Trump Tower is free.  The two women would have been overjoyed to window shop on Fifth Avenue--it's clear they know about New York.  I think Eric just wanted a cheesesteak.

In my opinion, the Liberty Bell is overrated. Although given how much Eric claims to love America, I'm surprised he didn't make them do all that stuff. He'd love the National Constitution Center.

I wondered if he stumbled across Reading Terminal - he said he didn't know the area, and Reading Terminal is right in the heart of the city. 

• Love 5
On 11/5/2018 at 11:06 AM, LilaFowler said:

Steven is a total moron and I feel sad for that child. He had 9 months to scrape savings together to provide for his child. He could have been working multiple jobs. To not have any savings whatsoever, let alone be able to provide any kind of home for Olga and the kid, -- wtf are they planning to do?

Steven is like a lot of the fathers on Teen Mom--fixated on learning to change diapers and feed the baby when what they need to fixate on is getting a job.  I know this is sexist as hell, but given the situation Steven finds himself in, his job is going to be to provide money for his "wife" and child, a traditional father role.  He can be a modern dad once he--and Olga, when she is able to--figure out how to pay for the things they and the baby need.  And not worry about learning to put on a diaper.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:05 AM, PinkFlamingo said:

Still waiting for the scene when Jonathan goes out into the backyard and throws a baseball through a tire and then stares off into space while reliving his glory days of baseball a la uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite style. 

This is election day (VOTE!) and exiting the polls, my goofy husband waved to some guy and said "Vote for Pedro!" and the guy snarled "I'll vote for who I damn well please!"  I just about peed myself.

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
40 minutes ago, Mothra said:

Sure it has.  She wants to be a doctor in the US.  Maybe Eric thinks that's his ticket out of sharing an apartment with his daughter.  What hasn't been revealed yet afaik is what Eric does for a living.

Eric is an "avionics mechanic" I believe. I don't know what that means. But I guess it doesn't pay that well since he has to share expenses with his daughter.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I wondered if he stumbled across Reading Terminal - he said he didn't know the area, and Reading Terminal is right in the heart of the city. 

I stay at the Marriott across the street about 8 times a year, I park my car and leave it until I have to drive home, walking in the city is great, lot's of things to see and do in every area of the city.  Eric was too lazy to research anything I am sure.  The Franklin Institute would have a been a great place to let the little run around and burn some energy for the ride back to where ever Wisconsin.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Yeah, that bugged me, too.  But it gave me one of the only laughs of the night in between all of the crying.  "See that?  That's the world's best cheese!  You can't get cheese any better than this!"  "Oh!  I'd like to try some!"  "Too bad!  We can get some cheese when we get home," he mutters as he's literally dragging her away from the cheese counter.  LOL!

And the thing is, Reading Terminal Market is the kind of place where you can ask for a taste!  For free!!!  Such a shit Eric is.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

I think part of the problem is WE already know how Eric lives so, of course, we KNOW he has no class.  Not trying to make this go on forever, but Reading Terminal is NOT a typical food court.  He would have had to remember to ask the vendor for plates, napkins, etc.  I really thought he asked the vendor to cut the cheesesteak in to smaller parts so they could each have a part - you can't really cut a cheesesteak up with one of those little plastic knives - you need a big one.

The little boy liked the cheesesteak.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Eric is an "avionics mechanic" I believe. I don't know what that means. But I guess it doesn't pay that well since he has to share expenses with his daughter.

Not sure if it's still the same, but when I was in middle/high school, an Avionics Tech was either E license, A license, or A/E (Dual).  E was Engine and other mechanical.  A was Airframe. Father Funky had an A license.  Dad did airframe work.  Mainly sheet metal, but he could do other stuff relating to the "bones" and non-mechanical parts of the plane.  It's also what he did when he was in the Air Force in Viet Nam.  Dual license holders make the most money, followed by E license, then A.  He worked for a friend who was the mechanic at our very small local airport.  He did it because his friend couldn't do all the work himself, and mainly for extra money, and simply that he loved doing it.  He couldn't make a full-time living at it in our little area.  He'd have had to go to a bigger city.  When his friend packed up and moved to another state, dad began to volunteer at various museums doing airframe restoration.  He's worked on all kinds of planes, including WWII B-17 Flying Fortress.  He loves it.  I wonder if Eric has a pilot license (even just private or experimental) - it helps.   My dad was a private/experimental pilot for many years.  He got his pilot license before he got his drivers license when he was a teenager.  So I wonder if Eric works for a bigger airport or mechanics firm.  He likely won't make a ton of money in a small market, unless he's a government contractor.

14 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I stay at the Marriott across the street about 8 times a year, I park my car and leave it until I have to drive home, walking in the city is great, lot's of things to see and do in every area of the city.  Eric was too lazy to research anything I am sure.  The Franklin Institute would have a been a great place to let the little run around and burn some energy for the ride back to where ever Wisconsin.

I've stayed there.  Super nice motel.  Loved the convenience to everything.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Thanks @Mothra and @funky-rat, I knew it was "avionics" somethingorother. 55K doesn't seem like enough to live on, support kids, and import mail order brides. Though of course I live in the very expensive Boston area.

It may be different now - planes have a lot of tech/electronics in them nowadays, and if he does that, he can make big bank.  My dad never got away from working on small planes.  Nothing commuter sized or larger.  He could have made decent money working for an airline, but he'd have to move to an area with a hub, and he didn't like his choices.  Dad had to take part in one FAA/NTSB investigation while he worked for his friend.  A local guy they knew crashed/burned his plane.  He didn't make it out alive.  The wreckage had to sit in the hangar, under a tarp, untouched, until they could finish their inquiry.  Dad's friend was responsible for ensuring no one messed with it.  Dad hated walking by it.  He said that someone he knew died in it, and the plane had an odd smell from the fire, and it made him sick to his stomach every time he passed by.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Drogo said:

10 Awesome Things to Eat at Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia

*Don't mind me; I'm just salty he didn't stick to fighting ISIS.  Based on cheesesteak math, I believe he could've taken out four rebels with one bullet.

I'm so glad you posted this.  It's all I can do to keep from replying to every post that calls Reading Terminal Market a food court.  I couldn't think of all the wonderful things I've tasted there, and that list isn't exhaustive by a long shot, but people need to know that it is a truly magical place. 

And you made me snort with the second remark.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Mothra said:

Steven is like a lot of the fathers on Teen Mom--fixated on learning to change diapers and feed the baby when what they need to fixate on is getting a job.  I know this is sexist as hell, but given the situation Steven finds himself in, his job is going to be to provide money for his "wife" and child, a traditional father role.  He can be a modern dad once he--and Olga, when she is able to--figure out how to pay for the things they and the baby need.  And not worry about learning to put on a diaper.

This is election day (VOTE!) and exiting the polls, my goofy husband waved to some guy and said "Vote for Pedro!" and the guy snarled "I'll vote for who I damn well please!"  I just about peed myself.

LOL!!  That is hilarious.  I am so wrapped up in this election that I wish I could vote -- but I'm Canadian! 

Speaking of voting, they should try a new interactive version of 90DF where we, the viewers, can vote people off of the Island, I mean, the show.  Could you even imagine.  Where would we start?  Who would be first?  It would be too stressful to pick just one.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

ah ok, I for a minute thought he was Joe Namath the way he chucked that footlong on the table

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
59 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Franklin Institute admission:  $23 per adult, $19 for children over 3 years old

I want to stand up for Debbie.  I feel so sorry for her.  She has essentially devoted her life to Coltee, as mentally unhealthy as that may be, and she seems to me to be trying really hard to please Larissa.  I think the barrage of negative remarks from Larissa hit Debbie like a pie in the face--she never expected *anyone* to be so rude so suddenly.  Sure, she's weird, and sure, she has a strange relationship with her son; she was trying in her weirdness to please Coltee and his squeeze.  I think the snowmen in the living room were meant to be a cheerful Xmas greeting for Larissa--they look brand new.  And while beef stew may be a dumb thing to offer Larissa after the long trip and the heat, it's probably the fanciest dish Debbie knows how to make, and she meant it as a gesture of affection and respect..

OTOH, I don't think Larissa is trying to be rude.  I just think she doesn't understand some things about American culture, like holding your nose and eating the hot, heavy food your future mother-in-law has prepared for you.  And she was embarrassed and apologetic about the slot machine--that was kind of a trap, but I guess it didn't occur to Coltee or Debbee that it needed explanation.  She ought to know better, though, than to criticize the home decor and its deficiencies in front of Debbee--she should have waited until she was alone with Coltee and told him that she couldn't live with his mother plus where's my pool.

• Love 16

I think Eric is annoyed because the family is coming out to, I guess in essence,  vet him and decide whether or not he is suitable husband material for the daughter and  stepfather material for the grandson. He would rather have put them in the car  and driven straight back to Wisconsin. He would only have the expense of gasoline and tolls and no judgment from her family. He’s remark about her sister pounding sand shows but he’s worried about her opinion.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I'm saying! Flying Monkey's whoopie pies are bomb. Try a pretzel!

Yes.  And then yes again.  (And when we say "try a pretzel" we are talking not about the traditional Philly street cart fare, but a "we JUST made this and buttered it for you" thing which actually made of a slice of cloud mixed with sparkles, manna, and ambrosia, rolled out and then baked.)

Edited by sconstant
  • Love 7

Where to begin? There is always so much to comment on after every episode. I'll edit my thoughts down to just a few key points or things I've observed that make no sense.

It bugs me every time Eric says Leida is from a "wealthy family in Indonesia." I guess he doesn't know that in many foreign countries a lot of folks have cooks, drivers and housekeepers, not just wealthy people. It's quite common. When they showed the family apartment in Jakarta it looked fine but by no means "wealthy" or grand. I guess it's all relative since Eric's house is a small, dumpy apartment in Podunk, Wisconsin, he shares with his 19 year old daughter who helps him pay the bills. Sad. If Leida's family is wealthy and if she has a medical degree what in the hell would she be doing with sad sack Eric? Is he 40? No way. NO way. He's lucky if he's pushing 50.

I agree with Larissa. What a terrible situation she's found herself in now. That beige, ticky-tacky, suburban, tract house in that boring neighborhood outside Las Vegas is awful. I would hate it too. Coltee, Mommy Debbie and the cats are Larissa's worst nightmare. The meals Mommy Debbie serves look like their straight out of a processed American food cookbook. Flavored with lots of salt and no spices. The food on the plate is beige and brown. Nothing green and healthy in sight. That's why Coltee is so pasty, pudgy, and soft. Larissa is going to miss the Brazilian food in about two days. Who doesn't have air conditioning in their car in Las Vegas?

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, Mothra said:

Franklin Institute admission:  $23 per adult, $19 for children over 3 years old

I want to stand up for Debbie.  I feel so sorry for her.  She has essentially devoted her life to Coltee, as mentally unhealthy as that may be, and she seems to me to be trying really hard to please Larissa.  I think the barrage of negative remarks from Larissa hit Debbie like a pie in the face--she never expected *anyone* to be so rude so suddenly.  Sure, she's weird, and sure, she has a strange relationship with her son; she was trying in her weirdness to please Coltee and his squeeze.  I think the snowmen in the living room were meant to be a cheerful Xmas greeting for Larissa--they look brand new.  And while beef stew may be a dumb thing to offer Larissa after the long trip and the heat, it's probably the fanciest dish Debbie knows how to make, and she meant it as a gesture of affection and respect..

OTOH, I don't think Larissa is trying to be rude.  I just think she doesn't understand some things about American culture, like holding your nose and eating the hot, heavy food your future mother-in-law has prepared for you.  And she was embarrassed and apologetic about the slot machine--that was kind of a trap, but I guess it didn't occur to Coltee or Debbee that it needed explanation.  She ought to know better, though, than to criticize the home decor and its deficiencies in front of Debbee--she should have waited until she was alone with Coltee and told him that she couldn't live with his mother plus where's my pool.

I'm going to be charitable and agree with you. I think this was probably a bit of creepy clinginess/bluntness, respectively, amplified by editing and possibly some producer suggestions. In a normal world, with a normal person who is capable of bridging the cultural gap between the two, they'd probably have a warm, or at least cordial, relationship.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, funky-rat said:

It didn't look like they had much of a yard, but if their HOA allows it (it looks like they're in a gated community), they could opt for an above ground pool, but somehow, I don't think that would be good enough for Larissa......

Maybe there is a community pool ? Usually gated communities have amenities like tennis courts, a community center and maybe a pool. 

Or here where I live,  you can go to a local motel/hotel and for 10/20 dollars a day hang out at their pool. Some have a bar you can get drinks at or you can order delivery from local places for lunch. It’s not an ideal solution but til she gets her green card and can work and contribute to the purchase of a bigger house with a pool, it’s something.

she might take a stroll around the neighborhood and find another K1 couple living in a bigger better house with a pool (and no mother in law) and see if she can finagle an invite to hang at their pool.

20 minutes ago, sconstant said:

Yes.  And then yes again.  (And when we say "try a pretzel" we are talking not about the traditional Philly street cart fare, but a "we JUST made this and buttered it for you" thing which actually made of a slice of cloud mixed with sparkles, manna, and ambrosia, rolled out and then baked.)

But they’d have to share it.

I’m  calling in sick and leaving first thing in the morning and getting me some of those pretzels ....  I might even get extra for Sunday night.. I doubt I’ll sleep a wink thinking about them. 

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

I've stayed there.  Super nice motel.  Loved the convenience to everything.

It was within walking distance of my daughter's apartment, now she lives a little further up Broad but I still stay there.  

Eric has no sense of adventure.

If Leida marries Eric then Reina can say "I told you so," for the rest of her life, it is totally justified.

5 minutes ago, iwasish said:

for 10/20 dollars a day

10 or 20 dollars? Do you know how much cat litter that could buy?

Are you nuts?  Do you know how much bith phtew that could buy?

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

I just think she doesn't understand some things about American culture

Forty years ago my cousin went to Israel, lived on a kibbutz and met an Israeli teacher, she kept inviting him for coffee, he kept saying he did not drink coffee, this went on for a few weeks till a buddy of his enlightened him to the Israeli cultural meaning of going out for coffee, he accepted the next time she asked and now they have been married 38 years with kids and grandkids. 

Sometimes you need to be told about the culture you are living in so you can understand how you are percieved.  Larissa probably has no idea that she upset Debbie by not eating the bith phtew.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

I think she's just flat out rude.  I don't think it's a cultural thing at all.  Of course, there's a lot in that sitch to be rude about, but in my view she was rude.  I agree with your comments on Debbie; she is obviously not mentally all there, but I did feel sorry for her too.  She basically knows the score with that relationship.  I think she hoped Larissa would arrive and she'd be something other than what she suspected -- a woman out of her son's league using him for a green card.  And then Larissa opens her mouth and it's clear that she's going to either use her son or break his heart.  Then she hurt Debbie's feelings in the process.

• Love 15

In the spirit of beating a cheesesteak story to death.....

I've been to Reading Terminal many times.  Awesome place!

Let's just say Eric wanted everyone to just have a few bites, to "taste" Philly.  Would it have killed him to hand everyone a napkin and a bottle of water?

And if it's all about just a few bites, why not add a donut (can't remember the name of the amazing donut place), a pretzel, maybe a few more things?

Give a sampling of foods to the table.  

And yeah, bro, bring some plates, some sodas, and forks.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 10

I swear I do have a heart, and I was sad for Debbie a little bit. The fact that she had to come to terms that Coltee doesn't need her for everything now because Larissa is here could be part of it.

I think we may all get a better understanding of the Colte/Debte relationship if we had a more of a back story. I felt bad she was crying and her feelings were butt hurt, maybe she thought she would never see the day where Colte had anyone other than her and the kitties ?  I had a partial remodel done at my house and my BFF husband was like, oh, I see some problem spots on the floor, I wanted to stick a fork in his eyeball and twist it 180 degrees and then punch him in the gut for saying that because I take such pride in my home and was hurt, so I kinda get it, although I dont have a slot machine or creepy santas in the corner

• Love 6