Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Amour Fou

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

So Joe killed Peach. Hands up if you saw that coming. Everyone's hand up? Thought so. Oops, he left the pee-filled jar. That's probably going to bite him in the ass.

Peach might be crazy, but she may be on to something about Beck: she does use people.

At least things are looking up for Paco, since his mom finally dumped the jerk.

• Love 10

Chekhov’s pee jar. I knew Joe would forget that. Yeah, Joe’s reaction to Peach peeping on Beck was hilarious. 

It’s so hard to wait for the next episode.

51 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

At least things are looking up for Paco, since his mom finally dumped the jerk.

Yeah, but abusive jerks like that tend to not like being dumped...

• Love 16

It is so good. I watch and I can't believe I find Joe entertaining and am on his side sometimes because this is really not a time when I am prone to sympathizing with or finding anything entertaining about a stalkery guy, let alone a murdering, stalkery guy. In fact, I wasn't even going to watch it, except I'd read the books, so figured I'd give it one chance. The odds were completely against me liking this and it's one of the best things I'm watching right now. They hit just the right tone and balance, and Badgely is perfect. 

Joe's face really keeps taking a beating, doesn't it?

• Love 19

I really love this show so much, its so amazing how it manages to keep its tone walking that line between campy and scary so well. Badgely is obviously the star here, being charming and likable, but also scary and clearly off, in both his expressions and his narration, but the whole cast is excellent, and they really keep the story real, which allows for the camp to shine through in its more crazy moments. Its so great, I hope lots of people give it a watch, it might be one of my favorite new shows of the Fall so far. On Lifetime! 

You killed Peach, you bastard! I miss her already, she really was a worthy adversary for Joe. She was certainly not a nice person, but I did feel sorry for her, and I loved peeling back her layers, and seeing the layers underneath her part girl exterior. 

The flashbacks to Joe`s former girlfriend makes me even more sure that he killed her, either in a jealous rage, or when he realized she didnt live up to his mental imagine of her, and made her "go off to Rome." I worry for Beck if she starts to not live up to the dream Joe has for her. 

Good that abusive dick is gone for now, but abusive dicks tend to not take rejection well. Still worried about Paco. 

• Love 17

I think it's weird that we never saw Peach's death or dead body, just the body bag being loaded into a van. It's a rule of tv and film: if you don't see the actual death shot, it may not have happened. Maybe Peach agreed to go along with Joe's plan and even take it one step further and fake her own death. Throwing it out there. I'm sure I'm wrong but maybe...

• Love 6

With Peach's death I feel the show has just lost a big part of itself. The show needs someone from with the inner circle (friends or family) to weed out these predators. Also, none of Beck's other friends are smart enough to detect Joe's pervy nature...so its now up to the Police to close the net on him.

Not sure if I was right, but did Peaches & Raj use sex toys because they are both gay (knowingly)? and it was all a ruse to rape Beck?

Paco's mom surely will have a role to play in the final few episodes. I was actually surprised to see her featured. I wonder if she knows Joe's true nature having lived next to him for so long. Blackmail for end of season, I hope.

Edited by Kimmel77
  • Love 4

Joe's probably left enough dna evidence at the house and in the sink ,plus that stupidphone of his will be the death of him. Honestly, Peaches couldn't hear Joe's phone humming under the bed??? Fingerprints etc.. everywhere, gps tracking on his phone?  Also,  I'm sure that cop is going to remember Joe's face, plus he got the Buick's  license plate number. Was it registered to the old boss at the bookstore?

• Love 5

This is the first episode I found really, legitimately scary.  I could barely watch!  But I hate guns and I am a wimp.

You would think (would we?) that with Beck and all the disappearances of the people around her, she'd start to get suspicious......?  Or feel like hey, maybe my life is in shambles when I'm with Joe?  I guess it's only been Benjy and Peach so far.  He hasn't done anything to that teacher who harassed her, or that writer who harassed her, etc.........

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Joe's probably left enough dna evidence at the house and in the sink ,plus that stupidphone of his will be the death of him. Honestly, Peaches couldn't hear Joe's phone humming under the bed??? Fingerprints etc.. everywhere, gps tracking on his phone?  Also,  I'm sure that cop is going to remember Joe's face, plus he got the Buick's  license plate number. Was it registered to the old boss at the bookstore?

Yes, it was. Wonder if Joe’s fingerprints are already in the system. I rather doubt it.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Sure looked that way.

I thought the same. One reason I like this show... it is dark. 

I kind of have a hard time believing that anyone would buy suicide after Peach's "attack" last week. But sometimes small town police aren't the most competant.

Agree that Peach's loss could really hurt this show. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, BooBear said:

sometimes small town police aren't the most competant

They're in Greenwich, Connecticut. It might be a small town, but it's not in the middle of nowhere where nothing much happens. With all that money floating around, the police force might look the other way but it would be competent.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

After the scramble for the gun at the end of the episode I'm having a hard time believing that Joe managed to get off a shot that would actually look like Peach did it while committing suicide. 

What I love about Joe is that he's not as savvy as he thinks. That cop clearly was onto him but just let him briefly have the benefit of the doubt. He wasn't fooled though. I think he was just weighing his options and on the very small chance that Joe wasn't lying, he was going to let him go. But he still got the plates and ran them. He's not as dumb as Joe thinks he is.  I don't know if Joe just hopes he's getting away with things like "I hope to God they think this is a suicide" or if he's like "Yeah, I did that. Peach is dead. That's done. Well done, Joe."

Also, everyone on this show is terrible which means I'm simultaneously rooting for all of them to succeed and fail at the same time. 

• Love 13
18 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

After the scramble for the gun at the end of the episode I'm having a hard time believing that Joe managed to get off a shot that would actually look like Peach did it while committing suicide. 

I assumed that he didn't shoot her, he killed her another way.  He just got the gun away from her and it went off.  That's the way I saw it.

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, kj4ever said:

I assumed that he didn't shoot her, he killed her another way.  He just got the gun away from her and it went off.  That's the way I saw it.

Oh that could be it. But as someone upthread suggested, why did the creators of the show not show it? The typical rule of tv is that if we don't see it, didn't happen.  I remain suspicious. 

• Love 7

So, for most of this episode I kept wondering why both Peach and Joe were so obsessed with Beck.  It just seems that there's not much personality there.  Yet, she continually has people who want to be with her (professor, book guy, Benjy, etc.).  

It was very tense while they were all in the house.  Good cat and mouse type of scenario.

The show keeps surprising me.  And, as we're nearing the end, I am looking forward to what will happen!

• Love 12
20 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Sure looked that way.

I...don't think that was going to happen. Peach wanted to use those on Beck. Instead she just used it on the dude. That was not something he was planning on happening to him judging by his verbal reaction. You would be surprised what a guy would let a hot girl do to him because he thinks he's going to get laid.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

They're in Greenwich, Connecticut. It might be a small town, but it's not in the middle of nowhere where nothing much happens. With all that money floating around, the police force might look the other way but it would be competent.

Martha Moxley might disagree!

I think that part of the reason that Joe's been so sloppy here is that he's all banged up from running off the road after having been beaten up. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I think that part of the reason that Joe's been so sloppy here is that he's all banged up from running off the road after having been beaten up. 

it's so confusing, 'cuz he's so charming "THE RINGING IN MY HEAD IS MUUU-SIC!!"

but then he's....stalking this girl and PEEING IN A JAR like a fucking PSYCHO...mixed emotions!! 

I love  him...I can't....he's a creep!!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Plus  he was on pain meds.

• Love 2
On 10/15/2018 at 8:58 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Joe killed Peaches......I will never forgive him for that.  Damn it.  I was hoping she would last a little longer.

Yes, I’ll miss Peach—although she was not a nice person. 

Joe has crossed a line for me—he already killed Benji, he’s stalking Beck, but him killing Peach is making me not like him.

4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

It was very tense while they were all in the house.  Good cat and mouse type of scenario.

Yes, those were tense moments. It’s hard to believe Joe didn’t make any noise—no creaking stairs, no noise when he peed, no squeaky doors, no buzzing cell phone, etc. The only time he made noise is when he slammed the door on purpose. 

So Beck takes drugs whenever they’re offered? She is easily persuaded. I was glad when she stood her ground and said she didn’t want to go to Paris with Peach. But I think that was because Joe was making her realize how much Peach liked to control her. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Of course, that’s all moot now, and Beck is probably going to be wracked with guilt that her last exchange with Peach was a big argument.   

• Love 8
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:
13 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Martha Moxley proves the point that the police would look the other way and let the Kennedy connection affect their work.

• Love 3
On 10/16/2018 at 12:17 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

You would think (would we?) that with Beck and all the disappearances of the people around her, she'd start to get suspicious......?  Or feel like hey, maybe my life is in shambles when I'm with Joe?  I guess it's only been Benjy and Peach so far.  He hasn't done anything to that teacher who harassed her, or that writer who harassed her, etc.........

I assume she knew Benjy was into drugs when they were "together" and then Joe did all that SM stuff from his phone - does she think anything has happened to him?  Or just that he went off on a drug binge and dumped her?  Because if that is the case then it's only Peach right now

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

No one seems to have missed Benjy that much, heh, though I can't imagine that plot line won't circle back somehow.

Agreed. Someone has to be missing him: family, friends, his business partner? 

• Love 7

So sad for Peach.    If only she tied him up and called the police....oh hell...called Beck, maybe things would've been different.    Also classic dumb move of standing next to the "body" and turning your back from it.     Should've shot him again...she could always say self-defense.    But alas we wouldn't have a show if that happened.   Damn....wish they didn't kill her off.     They could've had her have amnesia (or better yet pretend she had amnesia so she can still keep her eyes on Joe).

I'm seeing a lot of love for Peach, which is a bit surprising; to me she was easily the most detestable person in the show, and that's taking into consideration that her main competition was a creepy stalker-serial killer. (Benjamin was no winner himself, but he didn't live long enough to rate consideration.

i never have liked those super-elites who were born on third base and act like they hit a triple to get there. Her complete and utter disdain for everyone who wasn't in her economic or social class was despicable, and she actually had the gall to use the term "proletariat" while trash-talking someone.

Spoiler

It's sad that Beck fell for, and was subsequently murdered by, her serial-killer stalker... but it's almost as sad that she considered THAT a friend.

Edited by saoirse
added spoiler tag
  • Love 12

I think Joe is the most detestable person on the show—he's a serial killer—but none of the characters are entirely likable, which I appreciate. People contain multitudes. Peach was a terrible snob, but she didn't deserve to die because of it. She saw through Joe's bullshit, which is more than the vast majority of the characters did.

• Love 6

This show is so so GOOD. I'm obsessed. I'm just sitting here reading every thread.

I am so confused at all this love for Joe and hate for Beck. Joe is a murderer. Beck is a 23 yo who has no idea what she's doing. Do people really like him?!

• Love 3
On 1/29/2019 at 11:14 AM, babykin said:

This show is so so GOOD. I'm obsessed. I'm just sitting here reading every thread.

I am so confused at all this love for Joe and hate for Beck. Joe is a murderer. Beck is a 23 yo who has no idea what she's doing. Do people really like him?!

I think it's more about finding Joe to be an enjoyable character than actually liking him.

Beck is clearly a much better person than Joe (or Peach, or Benjy, etc.), but as a character, she's a lot less enjoyable. And I think she's supposed to be older than 23.

• Love 5
On 10/14/2018 at 8:05 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Peach might be crazy, but she may be on to something about Beck: she does use people.

I pegged Beck early on as someone who uses people, but she's also someone who has real limits on that, too. She's very much minor league. Beck could have gotten so much out of Peach and she clearly knew that, but she resisted it. Now whether that's because Beck is legitimately a nice person or because she's just not willing to go as far as sleeping with people and giving up a certain amount of autonomy in order to get ahead or lead a luxurious life is still up for debate. (I'm only watching the show for the first time now.)

On 1/28/2019 at 11:16 PM, Lakebum said:

I'm seeing a lot of love for Peach, which is a bit surprising;

I'm bummed Peach is dead with four episodes left to go because every appearance of hers was like a shot in the arm for the show aud it's hard for me to see how it's going to have the same energy with her gone. Yes, she was an awful person, and I don't like snobs either, but I found her entertaining in her awfulness (as opposed to Benji, who I just found plain annoying and was thrilled when he died) and in the cat-and-mouse game she had going on with Joe. Above anything else for me, she was smart. Beck has been a trial for me to watch because she is so freaking dumb - initially I had hoped that she had depths we weren't seeing yet, but the earlier episode featuring her inner narration destroyed my hopes. Joe is a psycho yet I find his narration often entertaining for much the same reasons I found Peach entertaining - he's often smart and often right about other people while being almost comically un-selfaware.

• Love 1

I stopped watching this show, because Joe annoyed me as much as he did in the book, and it creeped me out at the time, that some girls/women were sort of swooning over him. I picked up again today, because friends are watching the third season, and I'm enjoying it more this time. Still on the first season. It is funny, but it's also creepy. 

• Love 2