Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E03: Seth Meyers / Paul Simon

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, JZL said:

Isn't that only two Saturdays, though?  They're "missing" 10/20 and 10/27. 

Sorry my math isn't so good. I was also thinking about how they've only done three episodes this season and are already taking a break. It just seemed pretty early especially as the episodes so far haven't been that good. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Racj82 said:

There would be nothing to dredge up if shut the hell up. Him making a fool of himself has been the biggest part of the news cycle for two weeks. There is no way he wouldn't be addressed multiple times.

There's plenty of other news and material to mine - even WU itself mentioned matters more pressing than distractions. Yet we just got the distractions. Nothing Kanye West has done has warranted as many jokes and sketches and WU pieces as they've had the last two weeks. To me it just feels like SNL trying to cling to headlines rather than actually write anything funny.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Mystery said:

I asked earlier if Pete was only in the beginning and that taped trees bit. Maybe they gave him some time off due to the breakup. 

That makes the overload of sketches about them in the premiere even more awkward and more of a bad idea. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

There's plenty of other news and material to mine - even WU itself mentioned matters more pressing than distractions. Yet we just got the distractions. Nothing Kanye West has done has warranted as many jokes and sketches and WU pieces as they've had the last two weeks. To me it just feels like SNL trying to cling to headlines rather than actually write anything funny.

There is always more important news. It will never change what gets more traction in the media. And until it ever goes really bad, Kanye is easy to mine for comedy. Much like Trump himself.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Jody said:

Hello So Much TV. Another Thing Was He Was With The Sweeney Sisters. The Sweeney Sisters Were Jan Hooks And Nora Dunn. When Paul Simon Was Dressed As A Turkey, Lorne Had Him Do That Because IT Was Around Thanksgiving. Paul Refused At First Because He Went Back Stage And Complained To Lorne. Lorne Talked Paul In To Doing IT So Paul Went Back Out And Finished The Monologue In The Turkey Suit. Paul Sang Still Crazy After All These Years Which Was One OF His Hit Songs ! Jody

Simon wrote that sketch. 

This episode? Not so much. Why does every Keenan song sound like "What's Up With That?"

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Racj82 said:

There is always more important news. It will never change what gets more traction in the media. And until it ever goes really bad, Kanye is easy to mine for comedy. Much like Trump himself.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I just think if the show itself is acknowledging there is more to talk about, that means they should try, especially when it's all couched in pretending to care about Kanye West's well-being. 

• Love 1

They broke up? I feel ridiculous admitting that that makes me feel bad. I guess because his joy about being with her was so public, and right on the show just last week. That's pretty humiliating and brutal for him. 

• Love 2

I don't have that much sympathy for Pete Davidson, because I found his over-the-top boasting about his perfect relationship (including calling Arianna the hottest woman ever) to be incredibly insensitive to his previous romantic partner, who he'd just broken up with.

• Love 6

Yikes. She must be feeling pretty vindicated right now. Wasn't Ariana supposed to be on the show last week but pulled out? Then Pete was barely in this week's show, presumably from devastation. This is both sad and extremely high-schooly. I'm sure there will be plenty of mocking, but hopefully not on SNL 

• Love 3

I had to fast forward through that Cajun sketch, and I rarely FF. It was just unwatchable. What a mess this episode was. Why was Seth hosting? Was he promoting something? The only sketches I liked were the Q&A and the aspiring filmmaker horror tale. The cops and the Cosby sketch were in poor taste, IMHO. Also, too much referencing Kanye. The bit in the monologue was funny, but besides that, I really didn't need to hear about his crazy ass. I'm really over the Trump impersonation too. Retire it.

• Love 3

I doubt TPTB pulled Pete out over his devastation over the breakup. (Also, gee how nice it must be if your workplace gives you less to do when you’ve ended a relationship). They were together and pictured looking intimate on Saturday night, and I don’t know when the news actually broke about their breakup but it would be a little odd to give Pete a break for the night if he still invited her anyway and they looked lovey-dovey.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I like Paul Simon, but I did not care for his first performance.  Not my cup o' tea.

Agreed. I appreciate it, but it was FF material for me. Also, BOTW is Art's song and always will be and Paul's version was nice, but nothing special (ducking now to avoid the stones).

Agreed that this episode was meh overall - most of the sketches fell flat for me. But, it went out on a high note with Kenan lamenting losing his Gucci shoes. That little bit was hilarious.

• Love 2

I FFd BOTW because I have hated it since the day it came out. Still hate it. Don't know why. But I LOVED the first song and the wonderful accompaniment. I'd rewatch it if I hadn't accidentally erased it. I wish SNL had more musical guests like Paul Simon. Not just oldies; I'd like to see more variety of genres. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I doubt TPTB pulled Pete out over his devastation over the breakup. (Also, gee how nice it must be if your workplace gives you less to do when you’ve ended a relationship). They were together and pictured looking intimate on Saturday night, and I don’t know when the news actually broke about their breakup but it would be a little odd to give Pete a break for the night if he still invited her anyway and they looked lovey-dovey.

It looks like they broke up on Sunday.

44 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

But I LOVED the first song and the wonderful accompaniment.

I loved the first song, too! It was very artistic, like jazzy spoken word performance. I appreciate when older artists take some creative risks. 

• Love 3
On 10/13/2018 at 5:02 PM, Peace 47 said:

Oh man, this has been Paul Simon’s final tour?  I saw he was coming through my general area this summer, but I was so busy at work that I never focused on buying the tickets.

I was wondering last week why he was the announced musical guest, but I just saw that he performed his “last concert ever” at the end of the tour and that he is 77 years old.  Wow.  His website says that he has been the musical guest on SNL nine times, which is more than any other musical guest.  What a legend.

he was good in this time but these old performers need to own up to the fact that they can no longer sing. he has a lot of company in that respect. it makes me for one, feel really sad to hear an over 60 singer who has lost most of their singing voice because the facts are, the voice goes. get out while the getting is good and be remembered for when you were great. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, msrachelj said:

he was good in this time but these old performers need to own up to the fact that they can no longer sing. he has a lot of company in that respect. it makes me for one, feel really sad to hear an over 60 singer who has lost most of their singing voice because the facts are, the voice goes. get out while the getting is good and be remembered for when you were great. 

I remember hearing a similar opinion when Paul McCartney was on a while back, and I thought, "it's Paul freakin' McCartney!  You have plenty of options if you want a pretty voice!  That's not why we're here!"  I have the same opinion about Paul Simon.  YMMV, of course.

Edited to add:  And I really get a kick out of it when I see the Rolling Stones on a PBS special.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 5
On 10/14/2018 at 2:21 PM, JZL said:

I'm beginning to worry a little bit about the writing this season.  We've enjoyed a strong show since the departure of the above-mentioned threesome.  The cast is there, but we're only three shows into the season and the writing is flat.  They're already getting a break next week.  ETA:  Are there too many writers, a diffusion of responsibility?

I find it odd that they promoted Colin back to head writer when his previous tenure as head writer was largely considered terrible. I think his lack of ability in that area is even more pronounced now, since it's coming after the head writing tenure of Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider, who gave us one of the best seasons in years (season 42). Both of Colin's stints as head writer have had the same problems: sketches that go on for too long, rely on one joke, and don't have an ending; not using hosts to their strengths; and just a general air of laziness. This is not a job he is good at and I wish Lorne would stop giving it to him.

On 10/14/2018 at 2:41 PM, mortonsalt said:

I didn't realize he had hosted four times before. I can't remember any memorable skits from him only one of his monologues where he did the Titanic arms thing. Definitely doesn't feel like the strongest person to host after a three week hiatus. 

The dreadful and bafflingly recurring "I'M SIX" sketch haunts my nightmares, so big ups to you for blocking that out.

• Love 5
On 10/14/2018 at 12:06 AM, pythonite said:

I was looking forward to this, but so far not funny. Cosby in prison? Maybe people have affection for Kenan's old impression, but I don't get what's funny about any of it.

I figured someone would be offended by the Cosby sketch.  I thought it was funny, the best sketch of the night.  I agree it is a sad situation though, Cosby was such a big hero of mine when I was growing up.  Not much else to choose from aside from "Gucci shoes".  The "Cooba" bit was mildly interesting.

7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I like his music, but I agree that Paul Simon's voice is gone. I was getting a sore throat listening him. Not from grief, just from the strain.

Well, he did just get off a tour, besides he's 77.  Paul Simon is such a frigging genius.

Like some others here, I liked his first song "Can't Run But".  For those who don't know, it is from his new album In the Blue Light, which is made up of redone versions of previous little known tracks.  The original was from Rhythm of the Saints.

I probably would have enjoyed "Bridge over Troubled Water" better if I hadn't seen him singing it on the SNL repeat earlier in the evening.  That repeat featured my favorite all time musical moment on SNL, George Harrison and Paul Simon playing "Here Comes the Sun" and "Homeward Bound" together on acoustics.   Two artists playing classic songs from their former legendary groups.

I also can't help but think about Paul resenting Art Garfunkel for singing "Bridge" and knocking it out of the park (he's talked about it in the past).  No need for resentment Paul, everybody knows you wrote it and that you are a genius.  It might well be his best song, quite a bolt of inspiration there.  It's hard to think of many (if any) artists who have the longevity and mainstream appeal Paul has, while undeniably maintaining critical respect as a serious artist.

• Love 4
On 10/14/2018 at 12:06 AM, pythonite said:

I was looking forward to this, but so far not funny. Cosby in prison? Maybe people have affection for Kenan's old impression, but I don't get what's funny about any of it.

Okay, now better. I like the loopier later appearing material best (usually)

I don't think there was much reason beyond "Kenan can sort of do a Bill Cosby impression!" (not that great of one, unfortunately) The whole thing was so meandering and by the end I got the feeling we were supposed to find Bill Cosby likeable and endearing. 

On 10/14/2018 at 6:06 PM, mtlchick said:

The best part of last night was Paul Simon. I like Seth, but it shows why he was doing weekend update more than general acting on the show. Though I do have a soft spot for Boston Austin Powers.

I adore Seth and love what he is doing on Late Night. But I also adored him in his early days on SNL. The Needlers? Dr. Zinger? Love.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:55 AM, Blakeston said:

I don't have that much sympathy for Pete Davidson, because I found his over-the-top boasting about his perfect relationship (including calling Arianna the hottest woman ever) to be incredibly insensitive to his previous romantic partner, who he'd just broken up with.

I just read about his previous relationship. I do have some sympathy for Pete because he feels a bit like a lost soul (you know, a lost soul who's also a TV star), but he really should have known better.

21 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

I loved the first song, too! It was very artistic, like jazzy spoken word performance. I appreciate when older artists take some creative risks. 

I loved it. I am so diehard re Simon and Garfunkel and haven't always embraced his solo ventures, but I really loved this. Simple, but briliiant and still catchy!

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Good Lord - when did Paul Simon turn into Carol Channing doing a Joker impression? His face during the goodnights was the scariest bit of the night.

How good are most of us going to look at 77?  But yeah, it looks like he's had some plastic surgery.  Some people put a lot of faith in it, but it's not usually a look that I'm fond of.  I guess if it's done perfectly, it doesn't look like you've had plastic surgery.  Not sure what kind of percentage that would be.

Damn, not really any good sketches this week.

While I'm all for Leslie and Ego having a sketch together, that was not the right one.  Very tone deaf.  Just because the sexes are 'switched' doesn't make sexual harassment funny.  try again.

I thought the cold open pretty good, much better than last week.  Redd was great as KW.

Heidi Gardner really pulls off the shy, embarrassed, 'news guest' spot well.

Loved seeing Seth back on WU, but yeah, he needs Amy for the "REALLY??!!"  And I loved the monologue about KW before the Taylor Swift thing.  I didn't realize that, hahaha.

wow, Michael Che negotiated for "FOUR" N words, as really only he can.

I guess the Liberal Lagnieupp was only for Beck to trot out an nearly indecipherable southern cajun accent?  Yeah......no. and I guess it was the same for Keenan's Cosby impersonation...I could really live with out that again, thanks.

The hotel(?) lounge act bit was pretty bad too (though Seth with the long curley hair looked like Kenny G), and the Cooba thing.

I did like the movie audience question sketch, that was ok.

• Love 1

I Thought Paul Simon Did Not Sing As Good Any More. I Can't Remember What I Had Thought About The Last Time They Had Paul McCartney. It Is Possible I Thought Maybe Paul Doesn't Sing As Good Either. How Ever, I Know An EIGHTY Year Old Woman Who Goes By The Name OF LIL BIT And She Is A Very Good Singer So IT IS NOT True That ALL Old People Lose Their Singing Voices After 70 ! By The Way, LIL BIT Used To Sing With A Band ! Jody