Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E01: Rookies vs. Veterans

InDueTime
  • Start Topic

I didn't see a topic for the new episode, so I decided to start one.

From Zap2It:

Eight previous contestants return to battle against eight ambitious rookies for a chance at the grand prize; the rookie chefs prepare the best versions of their signature dishes within 45 minutes; the veterans must attempt to create the same dishes.

• Love 1

On one hand, all the "rookie" chefs seem to have respectable jobs and years of experience.  OTOH If that's a fair assessment, what on earth are they doing on a show like HK?  Something doesn't add up.  

Gordon didn't waste any time manipulating the scoring did he?  What he's doing is always soooo transparent and all the contestants just stand there with bated breath.  It's ridiculous.

Bagpipers were there because..........?  I know that Gordon is originally from Scotland but that seemed a little much.  

I suppose the tragedy next week will be a let down when we find out what it is but I'll admit that I'm curious now.  It sounded like someone died.  I hope Gordon isn't crass enough to do something beyond tacky like announce the death of Anthony Bourdain although I think this was filmed long before that.

Jen is going to be a real PIA and Roe and Heather are both gross.  I didn't like Heather the first time around so I hope she doesn't last long.  The manic guy needs to go before he hurts somebody.

• Love 9

It's going to be hard to keep track of who's on which team because it isn't boys vs. girls this season and I don't remember some of the second timers.

1 hour ago, mlp said:

I suppose the tragedy next week will be a let down when we find out what it is but I'll admit that I'm curious now.  It sounded like someone died.  I hope Gordon isn't crass enough to do something beyond tacky like announce the death of Anthony Bourdain although I think this was filmed long before that.

Could it be contestant Paulie Gigante's death in 2017?

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

It's going to be hard to keep track of who's on which team because it isn't boys vs. girls this season and I don't remember some of the second timers.

Could it be contestant Paulie Gigante's death in 2017?

Maybe; Trev was talking about one of his parents dying in October, which I assume was October 2017. Maybe the show didn't want to start out with Paulie's death, although it happened long before filming must have started. 

I'd like to see a show with just Hell's Kitchen runner-ups. 

WEEK #1 OBSERVATIONS:

Jen is this season's version (toned down) of Elise

Big guy reminds me of Brad Garrett and he and Jen are already combatants

Brad Garret guy has a big mouth

Miss Puerto Rico wins Gordan's fixed taste-off challenge

The bagpipers are there to morn an animal (pig, cow, lamb) which will be used for the menu.

The likely dislikes are Gizzy, Heather, Roe, Brad Garrett, Jen, Compton Girl.

Kevin for the win.

• Love 4

Agreed that the bagpipes are just for effect.  Gordon was having a hard time not laughing as he announced "the loss of" something.

If they don't get Jennifer to pull her hair back, the Health Inspectors for California should issue a post-dated violation - even if it's a TV show, minimum standards should be required.

• Love 4

Jen is getting the villain character for this season, it appears. Bret (Brad Garrett guy)  appeared either incredibly wound up (show start nerves) or maybe ADHD. Or even the show told him go over the top with your backstory, even tho Jen is the only one around to listen to it. It felt really staged. 

Gizzy the overconfident one I see likely breaking down into tears at some point. Smiley girl did well tho for some reason it bothers me seeing someone smiling that much, unless it's a nervous reaction.

• Love 2

Rewatch.

Ramsay "we are saying goodbye to one of our near and dear"

My guess is the maitre'd (Marino) will be leaving. Even after the fact that he welcomed the chefs into HK, and said he be the maitre'd for this season.

Just saying.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

OH let's hope it's not Christina, she would be hugely missed. Do Andy or Scott still work for Ramsay? Or JP?

Good point. She's been with him for years now; even on his other shows. Perhaps she is making a career move.

• Love 1

Didn't Christina say she'd be the sous chef for one of the teams this season?  If I'm remembering that correctly, I'm not sure why she'd say that and then leave at the end of the first episode.  I was thinking Marino as well, but I missed the part where he said he'd be there for the season, so now I don't know.  I don't think it's anything as drastic as someone's death though.  Maybe someone behind the scenes like a producer or something is leaving?  But then why the general public would care about that is beyond me.  

12 minutes ago, djlynch said:

Based partly on the description my DVR has for next week, I think that the "funeral" is either for the menu or a dish that has been on it for a long time and not a person

From TV Guide (spoilered just in case): Next week: 

Spoiler

Chef Ramsay announces that he is taking his risotto off of the Hell's Kitchen menu, and the contestants are tasked with preparing their own risotto dish in the hopes of replacing the old one for the remainder of the season. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, djlynch said:

Based partly on the description my DVR has for next week, I think that the "funeral" is either for the menu or a dish that has been on it for a long time and not a person.

That's it. Here's my speculation, under the spoiler.

Spoiler

I think Gordan is retiring his risotto and the chefs' competition will be to concoct their version of a risotto. The winner's version will probably be on the HK menu.

Edited by preeya
12 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

I guarantee the "sad farewell" is going to be the maitre'd announcing "I'm going back to France!" with happy accordion music in the background. These cliffhangers have never been something worth getting hyped about.

Yeah. I thought maybe he was announcing Bourdain, but Paulie is an option as well. The thing is, why do the big bagpipe thing? Why do it on camera? We've been fooled before... it could be some stupid crap.

Good to see Ariel and Kevin. Jen (get rid of the fake hair...) no. Go away and take Scotley with you.

As far as a higher quality rookie, maybe GR got the message that while looking at idiots can be fun, it's more interesting, and can still provide some fun and drama, if the people on a cooking show actually know how to cook.

That said, it's Hell's Kitchen. I still love it. It must be awful for Bret to lose both parents in such a short time. Perhaps he shouldn't have come back yet, 'cause he looks certifiable.

Spoiler

how sad is it that I as a 53 year old american, never even heard of risotto until I started watching GR's shows? we americans really do need to learn more about the rest of the planet in our earlier stages.

2 minutes ago, aliya said:

That said, it's Hell's Kitchen. I still love it. It must be awful for Bret to lose both parents in such a short time. Perhaps he shouldn't have come back yet, 'cause he looks certifiable.

I wonder if he's one of these people who throw themselves into work when losing loved ones. That's totally MY personality, keep me busy, occupied, anything so I'm not thinking my alone thoughts.

• Love 1

My guess is the maitre'd (Marino) will be leaving. 

I hope that's not the case!  Marino is the most likable person on the show IMO.  

I think the guesses about risotto are most probably correct.  The overwrought drama is exactly what Gordon thinks is good TV.

3 minutes ago, Colorado David said:
  Reveal hidden contents

how sad is it that I as a 53 year old american, never even heard of risotto until I started watching GR's shows? we americans really do need to learn more about the rest of the planet in our earlier stages.

I wonder if he's one of these people who throw themselves into work when losing loved ones. That's totally MY personality, keep me busy, occupied, anything so I'm not thinking my alone thoughts.

Yeah, that works if you do it and don't bring your emotions to work. If you break down every 10 minutes because you're looking at your parent's names tattooed on your wrists, it's a problem.  I this from personal experience after losing my husband. Work is work; I deal with the tough stuff at home. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, djlynch said:

Based partly on the description my DVR has for next week, I think that the "funeral" is either for the menu or a dish that has been on it for a long time and not a person.

That would be stupid, but par for the course on this show. The coming attractions narration referred to "handling another loss so soon," and then showed clips of Brett (who recently lost both his parents) freaking out. So the implication was that it was something personal to him. But likely that's a complete red herring and it has nothing to do with him. Again, typical HK misleading nonsense.

The conflict between Brett and Jen is this year's manufactured drama. Even though I know it's manufactured, I do find Jen genuinely annoying. I didn't watch the season she was previously on, but apparently she was a real piece of work. So she claimed to have changed but the story line will be that she goes back to her old ways.

So far, all the drama seems to be with the veterans, though I'm sure we'll have it on both teams.

I know it's non-PC to comment on people's looks, but Roe and Heather side-by-side with their enormous tattooed arms was not fun to look at. (While I'm being superficial and non-PC, there are some attractive women on the newbie team. Not so much on the vet's side).

15 hours ago, mlp said:

On one hand, all the "rookie" chefs seem to have respectable jobs and years of experience.  OTOH If that's a fair assessment, what on earth are they doing on a show like HK?  Something doesn't add up.  

Yes. I don't remember any past HK contestants having the impressive resumes of some of these people. They seem more like people you'd see on Chopped.

I had to laugh about the HK veterans being in disguise, as if they were recognizable celebrities. Apparently Gordon loves the disguise thing, because he disguises himself at the beginning of every episode of his "To Hell and Back" show.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

I know it's non-PC to comment on people's looks, but Roe and Heather side-by-side with their enormous tattooed arms was not fun to look at. (While I'm being superficial and non-PC, there are some attractive women on the newbie team. Not so much on the vet's side).

To be fair, pretty much none of the men on either team were very attractive, accept for the one on the newbie team, I think the one Lizzy Gizzy made a snide remark about. Assuming we are to believe this show is a genuine cooking contest (which is a stretch, I know) there looks aren't really important if they can cook. Though, in the next few seasons I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the pretense and hired models to pose in front of the dishes they "make". 

So far, I will say this seems a bit better then the dumpster fire MasterChef was this last season.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, bluepiano said:

The tattoos always look so juvenile - the argument of "so long as I do my job, who cares if I put silver dollars in the holes I punctured in my nose?" is stupid, since nobody associates looking like a graffiti'd wall with 5 star dining.

Also, nice to see someone from the AGT threads posting here.

• Love 4

I see people saying Bret looks like Brad Garrett, but to me, he's a skinny Vin Diesel. He also looks way older than 34. 

I think the funeral will be for the risotto or another item they will be retiring off the menu. 

Miss Puerto Rico has a massive chin. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, mlp said:

I think the guesses about risotto are most probably correct.  The overwrought drama is exactly what Gordon thinks is good TV.

I agree, I doubt he'd ever get rid of his beloved Wellington or scallops and mourning a person would be too serious for him.

4 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I see people saying Bret looks like Brad Garrett, but to me, he's a skinny Vin Diesel. He also looks way older than 34.

To me, he looks like a skinny, melted Jon Bernthal. I think Kevin on the Veterans's side is attractive, but some of that could be his competence and lack of drama (from what I remember of his first time around), so rarely seen on this show. He also reminds me of someone who I think may be a baseball player but I'm can't place it and it's driving  me nuts.

17 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

The tattoos always look so juvenile - the argument of "so long as I do my job, who cares if I put silver dollars in the holes I punctured in my nose?" is stupid, since nobody associates looking like a graffiti'd wall with 5 star dining.

Judging from this show, Chopped, and Top Chef, just about every young(ish) chef in America is tatted. But at least when they're in the kitchen you don't see them. I've had servers who are heavily tatted, and sometime it make them look unclean. Especially neck tats. (This past season of Master Chef, Aaron Sanchez's hand tats were creepy. Every time there was a close-up of him with food it made me think he needs to wash).

23 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

To be far, I will say this seems a bit better then the dumpster fire MasterChef was this last season.

16 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Anything would be better than the recently ended Master Chef season. At least Hell's Kitchen doesn't take itself so seriously, unlike MC, the most important, prestigious, amazing cooking competition in the entire galaxy.

I was totally thinking Vin Diesel as well. And he reminded me a bit of Vic Vegas, a former NFS contestant, who also got the Vin Diesel comparisons. Not seeing Brad Garrett at all. Unless Brad Garrett's fallen on some really hard times since the last time I saw him in something.

Gordon's "stand up, oh you are standing up" joke aimed at the short chef from Boston was a cheap shot and not funny. It reminded me of him calling the MC contestant with the glasses "Clark Kent."  Yelling at people about their performance in the kitchen is one thing. Making jokes about a person's appearance should be off limits.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6
57 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

Gordon's "stand up, oh you are standing up" joke aimed at the short chef from Boston was a cheap shot and not funny. It reminded me of him calling the MC contestant with the glasses "Clark Kent."  Yelling at people about their performance in the kitchen is one thing. Making jokes about a person's appearance should be off limits.

I'm a big GR fan, but he does seem to have issues with people who are different. He made fun of the young man who was short due to a kidney thing or something (I'm thinking like Garry Coleman). The 'joke' about the guy standing up wasn't funny. I just watched the series with Fernando (yes, I watch old HK's because I like to have them run in the background while I do other stuff) and GR makes fun of Fernando for looking young.  Also, though he has gotten better with the vegetarian thing, I was watching a UK show where he went around India, at one point staying in a vegetarian asram. OMGoodness; he was almost rude. I know he's playing up to his reputation and for the cameras, but rude is rude, especially if vegetarianism is part of a person's religion.

He seems like a good dad and is a much better person in real life than on these shows, but dang, sometimes... I wonder if he let his children talk about people with physical differences the way he does. 

btw - I'm not against tattoos, but some of these chefs do look dirty. What's the appeal for chefs to get so many of them? 

1 hour ago, bluepiano said:

Agreed, the cheap insults add zero and just make GR seem bullyish.  To joke with the contestants is one thing, if they have something that stands out as kind of unusual (I'm amazed we didn't get a 'put your hooha's away' for the gal with the way too low cut dress), but yeah, height is not something controllable so don't go there.

and i'm fine on the tats (have a back one myself), but amazed at the sheer number of chefs that smoke so much. that's gotta affect your taste buds at the least.

Edited by Colorado David
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I'm about the same height as that guy and despite thinking it's rather funny that I'm the same size as a middle school kid, there's not really a way to react properly when someone is trying to make you look like an idiot over it. If Gordon said to Heather (I think) "Wow, young lady, your abdomen is quite indicative of your knowledge of culinary arts", you can guarantee Fox would make him wear a dress for the remainder of the season.

1 hour ago, aliya said:

btw - I'm not against tattoos, but some of these chefs do look dirty. What's the appeal for chefs to get so many of them? 

I'm thinking that culinary work is a somewhat creative job, like how musicians and professional wrestlers get them, perhaps as a means of self expression. Odd how the past 15 or so years of people with long ginger beards, plaid shirts, craft beers, and Big Bang Theory viewing parties have turned tattoos into the complete opposite of how they used to be thought of (tough).

• Love 2

Great start to the season.  I have watched only intermittently in the last several years and did not recognize any of the veterans.  Even if I had, I liked the rookies much better.  What stellar credentials!! WHY are they on HK?

I liked Stotley (?) the tall black guy who was named hottest chef in Atlanta;, Mia, the winning PR chef,; Kanae, the cute young girl who works "under" Chef Eric Greenstreet; (?) and the short guy.  He may have been short, but he was cute. 

• Love 1

Gizzy is so super annoying and how is that a shortened version of Elizabeth?

I have watched every season of this show and these veterans could all be rookies to me, for how much I remember them.

I mean, I vaguely recall T but you could have knocked me over with a feather when GRR said she was a runner-up.

Although I did recall Heather after they showed her snozzling Andrew because that was, and is, super gross.  For both of them.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Agreed, the cheap insults add zero and just make GR seem bullyish.  To joke with the contestants is one thing, if they have something that stands out as kind of unusual (I'm amazed we didn't get a 'put your hooha's away' for the gal with the way too low cut dress), but yeah, height is not something controllable so don't go there.

Making fun of someone who is in a subordinate position and can't talk back for fear of losing their job (or getting booted off a TV show) is the very definition of bullying.

I don't think GR would ever comment on a woman's appearance, because given today's PC culture and sensitivity, that would be a huge no-no and not a place even he would want to go. But another definition of bullying is that you pick on safe targets. That's what GR does, and it shows him to be a coward, as most bullies are.

Edited by bluepiano

Well here we go again...

Observations:

• The sad farewell (or whatever it was) will probably just be to one of the dishes on the menu or something.
  • Jen is as annoying now as she was the first time around and because of that she'll last much longer than she deserves.
  • I like Ariel, Kevin and T (I rooted for T in her first season so I'm hoping she's as competent here). I dislike Bret (iirc he was someone who took everything a wee bit too seriously the first time around), Jen, Neutral on everyone else (I don't know if my concentration was down or something but I'm struggling to tell the new chefs apart yet, maybe because we haven't actually seen them in dinner service yet?)
  • So far I'm Kevin to win this series to put an end to the female winning streak(?) Trev, Roe (I didn't watch either of their seasons but I don't presume they'll be outstanding) and most of the Rookies I don't expect to last long and will probably be gone in the first few weeks.
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I don't think GR would ever comment on a woman's appearance, because given today's PC culture and sensitivity, that would be a huge no-no and not a place even he would want to go. But another definition of bullying is that you pick on safe targets. That's what GR does, and it shows him to be a coward, as most bullies are.

He called out a gal before with a too revealing dress, and made her cover up herself with a napkin. But yeah you're right, not in the current climate.

The minute those stupid bagpipes got going and GR said they were in mourning, I was 100% positive it was for the stupid beef wellington (or one of the other dishes). 

I didn't watch the very early seasons of this show and I may have missed a season or two along the way, but I really didn't recognize most of those veterans except for a few were vaguely familiar.

Does anyone remember the season with the "military chef" who was super misogynist and had to do a formal apology or something for his behaviour on the show? What season was that? Because there were a few other dudes that season that were nearly as bad as him and they kind of got a pass because the one guy was such a flaming douchebag the others weren't as noticeable. But, I could swear Bret was one of those guys? Maybe I'm completely imagining things or mixing him up with someone else.

38 minutes ago, lynny said:

The minute those stupid bagpipes got going and GR said they were in mourning, I was 100% positive it was for the stupid beef wellington (or one of the other dishes). 

I bet you are correct!

56 minutes ago, lynny said:

Does anyone remember the season with the "military chef" who was super misogynist and had to do a formal apology or something for his behaviour on the show? What season was that? Because there were a few other dudes that season that were nearly as bad as him and they kind of got a pass because the one guy was such a flaming douchebag the others weren't as noticeable. But, I could swear Bret was one of those guys? Maybe I'm completely imagining things or mixing him up with someone else.

Frank Cala Season 15

"The Marine sergeant who made sexist comments about women on the reality television show "Hell's Kitchen" has been fired from his position as a chef to the commandant, according to a news report.

Sgt. Frank Cala had apologized for the remarks, but that apparently wasn't enough for the Marine Corps.

Capt. Diann Rosenfeld, of Marine Barracks Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, said, "Sgt. Cala was removed from the commandant's staff and reassigned to the Marine Enlisted Aide Program," according to an article by Jeff Schogol, a reporter at Marine Corps Times."

Edited by preeya

Ahhh this show, so bad but sooooo good at the same time!

For all it's faults there is nothing that compares to it when it comes to the crazy, the meltdowns and the total ridiculousness (MKR Australia does a decent job though). This is like my must see guilty TV. I cannot stay away. 

He's definitely mourning something from his menu! It's so campy and ridiculous it cannot be an actual person (at least I hope not!).

The funny thing is I have like ZERO standards for this show. I was watching it and when the veterans pulled off their disguises I was like "Hmm okies."

Haha no outrage, no shock, no feelings offence. Just something run of the mill I would expect on this show.