Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: A Crisis of Faith and Octopus Aliens

• Start Topic

I loved it, even though it was so sad.  Laurie Metcalf is a wonderful actress.

I love that Pastor Jeff had to get a higher up to rule on God appearing in octopus form to save the souls of the octopus aliens.  Who comes up with this stuff?

Sheldon getting anxious because his mother wasn't following her faith, even though he doesn't believe, was so sweet.

• Love 16

I love Missy.  "I got cocky."  I would have loved to seen George attempt a good night dance, though.  LOL.  

Sheldon is so sweet.  Yeah, I can't believe I just typed that.  And, the voiceover about realizing it was the wrong time to say that he doesn't like to share credit.  That was actually pretty impressive for him to not. 

• Love 18

I found it interesting that while Sheldon doesn't believe in God, he does admit that "the precision of the universe at least makes it logical to conclude there's a Creator."   Although he doesn't necessarily believe the way his Mom does, I'm glad to see him show her some respect and understand that her faith is important to her.  Her crisis of faith upset the apple cart within the family - at least for Sheldon, so it was important that he "fix it." 

• Love 22

I loved this episode even though the tone was really sad. 

The church secretary hacking on her cigarette while commenting that life was precious was hilarious, as was the Pastor needing to consult with a higher authority on how God would appear to the octopus aliens. 

The conversation between Mary and Sheldon at the end was so sweet. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 12

I’m still watching, but Mary is making me cry. Both at the faith garden and in the bar. What an amazing actress and writing team. 

Saying grace before Missy eats Count Chocula, who plays for the other side.

I love Sheldon’s reaction to the dueling rides to Radio Shack. “Seems counterintuitive, but all right.”

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 11

I do not believe they had wine coolers at that time in the 80's.  

Wine Coolers are one of the touchstones of the 80s. The show is set in 1989. It was the increased taxes in the early 90s that reduced the popularity of them.

• Love 11

It looks like Raegan is taller than Iain! I've noticed this season that they don't show them walking together (usually, one is seated) and I thought maybe he had grown much taller than her, but I guess that's not the case. I still love their relationship ("You should have gone for a lullaby" "I know, I got cocky"). 

Also, thank goodness there was finally some sweetness between Mary and MeeMaw. Their scenes were great. Really, I just loved the whole episode. 

• Love 8

Loved the Count Chocula line and of course the conversation between Mary and Sheldon at the end.  What a tearjerker.

As a Christian myself, I've also pondered the "salvation for octopus aliens" question.  Well, without the octopuses.  There are several possible answers to the question, but I don't know why Pastor Jeff wouldn't just say "I don't know".  Seems to me that is the correct answer, since any other answer he would come up with would only be speculation.

• Love 4

When Mary was making her faith garden and hosting Bible study I was afraid this was the beginning of her becoming a true religious nut, as has been alluded to on BBT. But it actually turned in a very sweet story about her having a crisis of faith. George didn't bitch about having to parent his own children; he just did it. I liked that. And it was good to know MeeMaw is capable of treating her daughter with sympathy, and trying to help her. Right up to the point she dumped her on George. LOL Great acting all around. This is a stellar cast.

• Love 23
6 hours ago, rmontro said:

There are several possible answers to the question, but I don't know why Pastor Jeff wouldn't just say "I don't know".  Seems to me that is the correct answer, since any other answer he would come up with would only be speculation.

I feel sorry for Pastor Jeff having to deal with Sheldon's questions in church.  It's an uphill battle when trying to appease Sheldon's curiosity!  Seriously though, Sheldon should sit there quietly during the sermon, then have a private meeting with him later to discuss his questions.  I've never seen anybody question a pastor during the service.  

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I feel sorry for Pastor Jeff having to deal with Sheldon's questions in church.  It's an uphill battle when trying to appease Sheldon's curiosity!  Seriously though, Sheldon should sit there quietly during the sermon, then have a private meeting with him later to discuss his questions.  I've never seen anybody question a pastor during the service.  

I have a couple of times.  My pastor welcomes the questions as he doesn't want anyone leaving church with questions.  If they got as in-depth as Sheldon's though, he would ask them to wait after the service and they could talk more then.

• Love 4

I loved everything about this episode, although I did miss the very end because the hubs felt that he needed all my attention RIGHT THEN!

With a couple of new shows this season dealing with Faith and God (and, IMO, doing it badly), I never thought that YS would hit it out of the park on that point.  And I'll admit that I was chopping some onions during that scene with Sheldon and Mary...

• Love 6
9 hours ago, rmontro said:

As a Christian myself, I've also pondered the "salvation for octopus aliens" question.  Well, without the octopuses.  There are several possible answers to the question, but I don't know why Pastor Jeff wouldn't just say "I don't know".  Seems to me that is the correct answer, since any other answer he would come up with would only be speculation.

Maybe Sheldon should ask a Jesuit:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-vatican-on-space-the-discovery-of-intelligent-life-wouldnt-mean-theres-an-alien-jesus-somewhere-10433527.html

Short answer: Even though there's only one Incarnation of Jesus, if an octopus alien wants to be baptized, there is no reason to deny Baptism.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

My pastor welcomes the questions as he doesn't want anyone leaving church with questions.  If they got as in-depth as Sheldon's though, he would ask them to wait after the service and they could talk more then.

That's good.  I come from a generation that lived the motto  "children should be seen, but not heard," so we all sat politely during the sermon!  Of course you could always go see the pastor at another time if you had anything to discuss.  

49 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

With a couple of new shows this season dealing with Faith and God (and, IMO, doing it badly), I never thought that YS would hit it out of the park on that point.

I will take my comment about Sheldon and God to the BBT thread.  

13 hours ago, kili said:

Wine Coolers are one of the touchstones of the 80s. The show is set in 1989. It was the increased taxes in the early 90s that reduced the popularity of them.

"Bartles & Jaymes is a flavored wine cooler and malt beverage line produced by the E & J Gallo Winery in the United States, introduced in 1981, and available in various fruit flavors."

according to Wikipedia

don't mess with us old folks - we know stuff

Edited by meep.meep
  • LOL 2
  • Love 13

I loved the scene in church at the start. When Sheldon asks his first question Mary alternates between mortified and embarassed, while Missy and Mee-Maw are ready to grab the popcorn and watch the show. Something that surprised me was that Georgie didn't go to the funeral. I thought he would have been old enough and the girl was probably someone who went to school with him. Overall, I liked this episode.

• Love 7

I was a bit surprised that they never referred to the young victim by name. I can understand not using her full name every time she was reference but simply referring to her as that poor girl or that young child seemed a bit odd.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

"Bartles & Jaymes is a flavored wine cooler and malt beverage line produced by the E & J Gallo Winery in the United States, introduced in 1981, and available in various fruit flavors."

according to Wikipedia

don't mess with us old folks - we know stuff

Their Strawberry Margarita flavor was nirvana in a bottle.  A LOT of panties got dropped to those coolers, back in the day!  *LOL*

• Love 4
18 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I love Lance Barber, but I wish he would keep his eyes on the road more when he’s driving while talking to someone in the passenger seat. 

And they were talking about how he doesn't want Georgie to get his permit because he thinks he won't be a safe driver! I always hate watching car conversations on TV because the driver is always looking over at the passenger like they're just sitting on the couch together.

11 hours ago, Quark said:

What a lovely episode. Iain Armitage is a great little actor. That scene with Sheldon and his Mum was played so brilliantly.

I love this show so much.

I love him. They had him do video clues for a Jeopardy category a while back, and they must have done lots of extras because he's popped up for one-off clues in several games since then. He's just so adorable. The scene between him and Mary at the end, and last week when Missy hugged him, are my favorite scenes so far.

• Love 8
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:04 PM, anna0852 said:

I was a bit surprised that they never referred to the young victim by name. I can understand not using her full name every time she was reference but simply referring to her as that poor girl or that young child seemed a bit odd.

My idea is probably a little farfetched, but it might be a superstitious kind of thing.  Maybe the writers didn't want to give the girl a name because of her age and because any name they chose could be anybody out there, and you'd hate to tune in and find out that the name they picked for the deceased might just be one of your teenage loved ones.  I know that's probably not the reason, but it's all I've got!   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Speaking of the car scene, I found it super distracting that they shot it against a green screen like they would for a sitcom rather than actually moving in a car as most single-cam shows do.

• Love 3

I loved the way the family rallied round to support Mary when she was grieving - George (Sr) stepping up (and covering) for his wife, Meemaw taking her drinking and then Sheldon using science to argue in favour of God. And even I, as a stonehearted cynic, couldn't help feeling that the room got a little dusty when Mary pointed out that Sheldon didn't believe what he was saying and he pointed out that she was the perfect mother for him and what were the odds of that. Yep, definitely very dusty.

I'd definitely agree that octopus aliens would get an octopoid Jesus.

• Love 6