Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lady Calypso

Season 1 Discussion

Has the show been renewed ! I hope so - i find it funny and look forward to it each week 

• Like 6

On 3/21/2019 at 4:15 AM, possibilities said:

The writers seem to  be out of gas. Two episodes in a row focused on Will as sex object (or not)? Boring.

Rory was rude. He did look better in the beret than Miggy did, though.

This was the first time I was not able to just accept the overly adult portrayal of the kids, Rory and Sophie, specifically.

I disagree - I think Miggy rocked that beret!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 2:35 PM, SnarkySheep said:

Yes, or when Graham actually hit his mom's boyfriend in the face and had zero repercussions, only the adults' concern about his upset/sad/hurt feelings. That would have been the perfect teachable moment to explain that everyone gets upset but it is NEVER an excuse to hit someone.

Re: coffee - I really don't get why people always make such a huge deal about making coffee at home or work, both on TV and IRL. I always put my percolator on first, then fill my travel mug after getting dressed, taking the dog out, etc. It takes literally three minutes altogether. 

As for home coffee being "so gross" (demonstrated oh-so-charmingly by Angie spitting her mouthful back into the cup) your home options nowadays are basically limitless. Why couldn't Angie use that expedited shipping to order a French press or something? SMH

It's all about the Keurig, baby! Takes about a minute - I very rarely get a cup of coffee from a shop since I got my machine. 

I love a good cup of French-pressed coffee, but now you're measuring, boiling water, pouring, pressing  - nothing beats the convenience of the pod.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 11:04 PM, Gothish520 said:

It's all about the Keurig, baby! Takes about a minute - I very rarely get a cup of coffee from a shop since I got my machine. 

In our family we call those "the bleurigs." It's like drinking a cup of hot water! No flavor, but,yes the convenience is spot on. Too bad about the waste & lack of coffee flavor. I guess they have promise.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rhys said:

In our family we call those "the bleurigs." It's like drinking a cup of hot water! No flavor, but,yes the convenience is spot on. Too bad about the waste & lack of coffee flavor. I guess they have promise.

Not sure what version of the machine or brands of coffee you've tried, but I love strong coffee and I've found several brands that make a good strong cup. I stick with dark roasts and usually use the 8 oz. setting. Also just discovered a brand called Wide Awake Coffee that has no plastic cup, just a lid and paper filter - less waste and the dark roast almost tastes like French pressed, delicious! 

I laughed out loud and often at tonight’s episode. I’m not liking the Poppy/Carl storyline, but do like that she saw Douglas in his car. If it was any other show, she’d have been clueless that he saw them.

• Like 6

Lance Bass! Lance Bass Space Camp!!! Give us the money bye bye bye... the due date! By the way, Lance Bass is friends with Richard Gere. Its pretty cool. 

Glad that Poppy saw Douglas by her house, I was convinced that he would drive away without her seeing him, but I love that she saw him. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 9

The twins in the salon with the over the top pagent getups was hysterical to me.   

I'm still liking this little show.  It's not ever going to be a big deal, but it has some good moments.

I can fuss for hours about the sad state of sitcoms.  The stale, predictable jokes, the mean characters, the stupid sexual innuendos and the laughtracks from hell...

The only decent network giggles I can find are this one and The Kids Are Alright.

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Like 9

I loved how all Douglas had to do was spin the chairs around so the kids could see themselves. He knows who his daughters are, and he's not just trying to shape them, he's actually responsive to what he knows they like.

I hate "love triangles" so I really hope they dispense of the Poppy-Douglas-Poppy's Ex angst very quickly.

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

I'm either getting used to the children or the writing improved. I'm especially liking the twins now, when they were my least favorite before.

Who played the twin's grandma? She looked and acted familiar.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm either getting used to the children or the writing improved. I'm especially liking the twins now, when they were my least favorite before.

She played Jessica Wicks on parks and rec

Edited by Aileen
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3

11 minutes ago, Aileen said:

She played Jessica Wicks on parks and rec

Thanks. I don't watch that so I'll have to look up her IMDB page to see if she was in anything I've seen.

In the off chance that you are asking why they paid for camp by check - many kids organizations make it difficult to pay any other way.  They seem to have poor bookkeepers.

One of my kids didn't get to go to science camp with her class because I, her single mother, forgot to send in her medical clearance, so this episode rang true with me.  I could not fix it.....oddly enough, Lance Bass was her favorite n'Sync band member.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

In the off chance that you are asking why they paid for camp by check - many kids organizations make it difficult to pay any other way.  They seem to have poor bookkeepers.

I don't think it's a matter of poor bookkeeping.  They don't want to pay the money to accept credit/debit cards, and cash is not a good idea if volunteers are involved.  I volunteer, I 'm not disparaging volunteers.  But, there's not the same level of accountability.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

don't think it's a matter of poor bookkeeping.  They don't want to pay the money to accept credit/debit cards, and cash is not a good idea if volunteers are involved.

Exactly and money did not seem to be an issue given the building and it was supposed to be into technology! 

• Like 1

The twins looking like Jon Benet was hilarious. I didn't mind the grandma and would be okay if she popped up again (in small doses). I do not want a love triangle. I like Douglas and I like Poppy, but I do not like Douglas/Poppy. They just don't fit together to me and are too different to really work. 

I was a big fan of NSYNC back in the day and Lance was my favorite so glad to see him even if his acting has not improved at all over the years. And I totally want to go to a space/art camp.

Was this the season finale?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, xander874 said:

this the season finale?

Next week. 

• Like 1

The Lance Bass thing just seemed like stunt casting and I've never cared for stunt casting in shows.

3 hours ago, Aryanna said:

The Lance Bass thing just seemed like stunt casting and I've never cared for stunt casting in shows.

I didn’t mind it because Lance is in fact obsessed with space and wants to go there so it felt like it could be real.

• Like 5

Was that the finale?

I liked Miggy telling off Douglas, and Douglas taking the criticism. Miggy can be a bit dopey and foolish, so it's not really expected that he'd actually be the one to call someone else out.

We've seen Will in beast mode before-- ANGIE has seen it, too. So I didn't buy that she was so surprised by it.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2019 at 2:24 PM, Snow Apple said:

Show is growing on me. I even like the kids now that we know more about them. The twins are my favorite. I am surprised about how cute I am finding the actor who plays Will. He will probably be endgame with the Wynona Rider look alike but I’m okay with that if they build it organically. Plus their kids will probably love being step siblings.

Awww they let Will say that he was their village! And Poppy and Douglas finally got together, which I fully support. I like them together, they seem like a strange match, but they oddly work. 

Adam Brody as Angie's baby daddy is hilariously random, and Will goes into beast mode over him!

I really like this show, especially as the last few episodes have gone back to the early season one goodness. Its light and fluffy and charming and it makes me laugh, and sometimes thats all I need from a sitcom. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Adam Brody as Angie's baby daddy is hilariously random, 

He’s her husband so not really random.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

We've seen Will in beast mode before-- ANGIE has seen it, too. So I didn't buy that she was so surprised by it.

Maybe she was surprised he went into beast mode on Angie's behalf. He stood up for her in a way nobody ever has before. 

I like this sweet little show. I like everything about it. 

• Like 8

Lance Bass Space Camp!  Has been I my head for wayyyyy too long.  And I don’t care.

Also? Seth Cohen!!! 😍😍😍

• Like 3

With Splitting Up Together getting canceled today (unfortunate, IMO), I’m hoping there’s going to be a spot for Single Parents on the fall schedule 

• Like 1

I'm still upset of the Kids are Alright getting cancelled but I am not mad this got renewed. I don't think it's as good but it is a nice light silly show. I am glad they wrote this episode to possibly be a series finale and didn't go the cliff hanger route. I was worried there would be some Will/Ang/Adam Brody unresolved thing at the end.

And speaking of Adam Brody, I had the biggest crush on him on the OC. He's matured for sure but still looks nice. Hope he comes back next season. I would love to see Graham adjusting to meeting his dad.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, xander874 said:

I'm still upset of the Kids are Alright getting cancelled but I am not mad this got renewed. I don't think it's as good but it is a nice light silly show. I am glad they wrote this episode to possibly be a series finale and didn't go the cliff hanger route. I was worried there would be some Will/Ang/Adam Brody unresolved thing at the end.

Too many shows try to go with "cliffhangers" in the past few years. Many times, these shows never get renewed and they pretty were given either the hints of: "you are going to get cancelled." or "you might end up cancelled." Plus, they have very forced cliffhangers. At least with Single Parents, they gave things that way. Like with Speechless *sniff* did a conclusion, but left things open. Unlike Splitting Up that went out of its way to leave a cliffhanger (a stupid one too). I think shows need to stop acting like they have to leave people hanging to want to come back and think the networks are going to bite. Unless they know up front, it just doesn't work. 

Yay! There is a lot to like about the show. The cast is great. But the writers kinda ran out steam midway through the season. Ideally, this is a 13 epsidoe season type of show, but that's not gonna happen. Some things that may get this show have a stronger, more consistent second season 

1. Keep the storylines within the school realm. I am not interested in weathercaster will. Have him lose the job due to budget cuts. 

2. Is Miggy's kid too young for preschool? Well, age her up. Have the others counsel him as he navigates the preschool waters.

3. Angie either is too responsible one episode, or too irresponisble the next. They need find some semblance of consistency with her. I actually thinking bringing in the deadbeat dad for next season would be really good.

4. Will has become too much of a winner. He has a successful tv gig where woman after woman after woman is lusting for him (I actually think the actor is mega cute). But the character is less fun now.

• Like 4

I loved the season finale, it hit all the right notes. The way they are slowly developing Will and Angie's relationship is perfect. Douglas and Poppy are so cute, glad they are taking the leap. I was not a fan of Brad Garrett's character on Everybody Loves Raymond, but I love Douglas and find him sexy as hell to boot, lol.

So happy this was renewed!

• Like 1

Has Angie always had that HIGH pitched girl voice or have I binged watched too many in a row? It was driving me crazy...

Happy it was renewed. Brad Garratt is great.

Totally bummed that Speechless and The Kids are Alright didn't get renewed. Especially the latter. 

• Like 1