Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

“Lettuce” – Will hits it off with Angie and Graham’s pediatrician, Dr. Dewan (Hannah Simone), but Angie worries he’ll ruin Graham’s chances of getting on the Mist List for the flu vaccine. Miggy tries to help Will navigate how to handle his situation with Dr. Dewan by giving dating advice. Meanwhile, Douglas gets sick, and while delirious with a fever, he accidentally reveals to Rory that he likes Poppy, on an all-new episode of “Single Parents,” airing on WEDNESDAY, OCT. 31 (9:31-10:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

On 10/25/2018 at 10:11 AM, BusyOctober said:

For all the helicopter parenting these people do, it appears they don't give any thought to therapy for their "kiddoes" (the moms at my daughter's school use this & "Littles" All.The.Time. I haaate both with the fire of a thousand nuns (TM old school Twopper)).  Graham would benefit from seeing someone for his anxiety, and the twin girls for their early onset of sociopathy, and maybe Will's daughter to help her cope with her father's insecurity manifesting itself in smothering her with ALL his attention.  Poppy's son seems very self aware, and other than the 'only on TV' hyper preciousness, he's OK and his mom seems to be maintaining a balance.  If this were the real world, I think some mandated reporter would call in the authorities on Miggy's baby's behalf.  If this show lasts another season, next year that kid will have a higher IQ than his dad.

Speaking of which...It's a stereotypical sitcom trope, but it's so annoying to have every kid on every show written as the mature, wise beyond their years parental figure.  I think I'm just over the same old story lines on most network sitcoms.  Don't even get me started on the majority of network procedural dramas...especially anything on CBS.  Any one of those NCIS or FBI crime investigations could be solved by Miggy's baby.  Or Miggy.  

On 10/26/2018 at 2:51 AM, bros402 said:

I hope that the kid writing improves in future episodes. They are talking like 10-12 year olds, not 7/8 year olds. 

I hope that they do not couple any of the parents together. Angie and Will seems to be what they are angling for, but I hope it never happens.

On 10/26/2018 at 4:49 PM, Ilovepie said:

Me too unfortunately. I really wanted to like this, but these people do not act like real people at all, and worse, I just didn't find any of this funny. These kids don't just act precocious; they talk like adults in small bodies. It's not funny at all. I was so annoyed at Angie. You know, it's okay for your work to come first sometimes. Explain to Graham that he has to stay at Sophie's party for a while (it was still daylight!) and then they will trick or treat when she is done working. Also, if you left the legs to the spider costume at work, run down to Target or Walmart and buy a freaking replacement! And taking down all the decorations I worked my ass of putting up because my kid said to tone it down? OH HELL NO!

I am also appalled that Poppy not only let Rory watch Pretty Woman, but then dressed like a prostitute?!? Beyond inappropriate! Rory looked like Reverend Sharpton to me.

The one thing that amused me was that Will was dressed like Taran Killam's SNL character Jebidiah Atkinson. I kept waiting for him to go "NEXT!" :-p

This is my last episode. It's just not working for me, especially compared to The Kids Are Alright which I am finding hilarious. I watched them back to back, and it just highlighted how unfunny I found this show.

On 10/27/2018 at 5:18 PM, Sparger Springs said:

I am of the opinion none of the writers of this show know actual children. They need to reboot those kids. Second graders don't behave that way.

On 10/28/2018 at 1:58 AM, bros402 said:

tbh if they had shown the second grader's mom as some kind of snooty person, I could've bought that maybe Carrol's father acted like he was acting and he was just impersonating him.

But no first grader acts like these kids act. Except maybe Graham. He seems the most like a first grader out of all of them. Sophie seems like if she were an actual first grader, she would be in an enrichment program - as she seems gifted for a 1st grader. The others.... no. The twins are just not fleshed out enough beyond "hey they seem sort of sociopathic" and Poppy's son is very one note so far. I would like to see an episode where we see how the group met - I want background on the parents.

I agree with all of this. The kids are way too precocious and mature for their age. I mean an eight-year-old is watching an old rom-com about a billionaire hiring and falling in love with a prostitute? My eight-year-old has no idea what a prostitute is. The little girl "is over" Halloween for a jerky boy...in first grade? I think the problem was they wanted to write junior high age kids but that would not bring in the "cute factor" as it tends to be the ages of awkwardness.

Also, what the hell with the mother actually apologizing for working? First, it does not make you weak to have children. I had to get off work a little early to take my kids out for Halloween and it was alright. Parents usually make great workers and you just have to be upfront with bosses. Secondly, even though people without kids have more flexible schedules, they actually have lives as well and do not spend every waking hour working. I hate it that if someone does not have kids that automatically means they have nothing else going on. Third, she would rather quit her job than admit she needs time for her kid? Hey, what about just buying a spider costume instead of making one by hand, when you have no time to do so? How the hell can she quit her job so easily...what will they do for money? I said it before, the kids need to be dropped from the show and we just need to hear about the antics as these kids are just too "Hollywood" to be believable. 

• Love 6

Really like Dr. Dewan, hope she sticks around. People who are super into pediatrics certainly can be intense I guess! 

Miggy seemed rather more adult in this one, at least compared to how he has been. I guess those wine ladies and his bartender gig is doing him some good! 

I kind of figured that Douglas had a bit of a thing for Poppy. That could be interesting. Weird, but I cant say I am opposed. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, qtpye said:

I agree with all of this. The kids are way too precocious and mature for their age. I mean an eight-year-old is watching an old rom-com about a billionaire hiring and falling in love with a prostitute? My eight-year-old has no idea what a prostitute is. The little girl "is over" Halloween for a jerky boy...in first grade? I think the problem was they wanted to write junior high age kids but that would not bring in the "cute factor" as it tends to be the ages of awkwardness.

Also, what the hell with the mother actually apologizing for working? First, it does not make you weak to have children. I had to get off work a little early to take my kids out for Halloween and it was alright. Parents usually make great workers and you just have to be upfront with bosses. Secondly, even though people without kids have more flexible schedules, they actually have lives as well and do not spend every waking hour working. I hate it that if someone does not have kids that automatically means they have nothing else going on. Third, she would rather quit her job than admit she needs time for her kid? Hey, what about just buying a spider costume instead of making one by hand, when you have no time to do so? How the hell can she quit her job so easily...what will they do for money? I said it before, the kids need to be dropped from the show and we just need to hear about the antics as these kids are just too "Hollywood" to be believable. 

I definitely buy that Poppy's kid could've stumbled upon Pretty Woman on Netflix or something and watched it - I do not think any sane parent would let their first grader dress up as the john from Pretty Woman, let alone agree to dress up as a hooker.

I don't think they need to drop the kids, they just need an adjustment - and usually around episode 9-12 is when writers start to see feedback from viewers before writing/shooting, so maybe they will course correct. A lot of great shows adjusted around that point.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

This ep went too far with the precocious "cuteness".  Originally I thought Poppy's kid was juuuust on the edge of  obnoxious.  Last night he exceeded that boundary as did the twins.  Blackmail and bullying from 7 year olds isn't funny.   It wouldn't be any funnier if they were tweens/teens, but it would make a little more sense versus 1st graders. Poppy seems like a normal, nice, empathetic person, same for Will and Angie.  So how did they raise such jaded, snarky, sarcastic children?  Again, they are only 7.  Their helicoptering parents haven't once let them face disappointment or adversity, so why are these kids so world- weary and "over" everything?  Doug is gruffer and exudes misanthropy so I can kinda see how his girls go so creepily hardened. But I do not like seeing kids disparaging or name calling their parents (or anyone).

The best part of this show continues to be Taran.  I watch because of him.  If Hannah Simone is going to be a semi-regular, I will keep watching for sure.  I just will wait for the DVR to record then FF through the parts with the kids.  

I used to think Poppy's kid was sweet but now I am gonna need Poppy to set some ground rules. Not every idea needs to be given total approval, including dressing up as hooker number 2 from Pretty Woman.

• Love 3

This ep went too far with the precocious "cuteness".  Originally I thought Poppy's kid was juuuust on the edge of  obnoxious.  Last night he exceeded that boundary as did the twins.  Blackmail and bullying from 7 year olds isn't funny.   It wouldn't be any funnier if they were tweens/teens, but it would make a little more sense versus 1st graders. Poppy seems like a normal, nice, empathetic person, same for Will and Angie.  So how did they raise such jaded, snarky, sarcastic children?  Again, they are only 7.  Their helicoptering parents haven't once let them face disappointment or adversity, so why are these kids so world- weary and "over" everything?  Doug is gruffer and exudes misanthropy so I can kinda see how his girls got so creepily hardened. But I do not like seeing kids disparaging or name calling their parents (or anyone).

The best part of this show continues to be Taran.  I watch because of him.  If Hannah Simone is going to be a semi-regular, I will keep watching for sure.  I just will wait for the DVR to record then FF through the parts with the kids. 

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 8

Will and Dr. Dewan: Man!! I could feel the chemistry they had!!!! Glad they are together. :)

Miggy and Will: Miggy telling Will, that nobody dates first they have sex first.. That is the most idiotic and stupid thing to say. I started not to like him, until we find out at the end that he doesn't know what the hell he is saying.

Douglas and the gang: Oh Dougy Dougy!!! Stop with your macho fakeness!!! Hahahaha. We all know you are a big softy! :) And of course your daughters act that way! Cus you are raising them that way!!! :) Cut that out! :)

Douglas and Rory: AH HA! Thank you Rory!!!! Thank you for having us find out that Douglas likes Poppy!!! :) Oh and please call him Mr. Douglas.

Douglas and Poppy: Awwww taking care of each other. :) He was hysterical when he was at the store! Ask her out man!!!! :)

Douglas and his kids: I love it at the end!!!!! The note, and then scaring them! And the yell out, Who is weak now!!! HAHAHAHA! He is starting to teach them/raise them differently.  ALRIGHT! :)

16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Douglas decided he wanted to be tall...so he got tall. Yep, that checks out. 

Douglas talking to himself: You will not cry! You will not get sick! You will get tall!

ROFL!

• Love 4

So, last week Angie couldn't leave work early to go to a Halloween party, but now she can leave work at 3 to take Graham for his flu "shot"? (If tomorrow is meant to be a Saturday, they didn't say.)  Also, who was watching the twins when Douglas visited sick Poppy?  And was Sophie there when her dad was sleeping with the doctor?  Who watches Jack when Miggy is at work? The first episode set up a real-world type scenario where they relied on each other to watch their kids, but now they aren't paying strict attention to that. I still think a person like Douglas would have a nanny.

• Love 1

Hannah Simone is always welcome on my TV screen. They should make her recurring. I liked how Miggy is getting fleshed out to seem more like a person versus a caricature.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:38 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Loving Dr. Dewan so far. But wouldn’t she already have known Graham had a walnut allergy?

I believe she was talking to Will.

On 11/1/2018 at 10:28 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

So, last week Angie couldn't leave work early to go to a Halloween party, but now she can leave work at 3 to take Graham for his flu "shot"? (If tomorrow is meant to be a Saturday, they didn't say.)  Also, who was watching the twins when Douglas visited sick Poppy?  And was Sophie there when her dad was sleeping with the doctor?  Who watches Jack when Miggy is at work? The first episode set up a real-world type scenario where they relied on each other to watch their kids, but now they aren't paying strict attention to that. I still think a person like Douglas would have a nanny.

Maybe her office has Fridays off - some places, at least around here, do longer days Monday-Thursday, then Friday off.

I think Douglas probably had a nanny at some point, maybe when his wife was alive, but then maybe he was too distraught after the loss of his wife. Or maybe his abrasive personality made every nannying group in the area blacklist him.

With Jack, I *think* in a previous episode, Miggy mentioned he was dropping Jack off at daycare.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, bros402 said:

Hannah Simone is always welcome on my TV screen. They should make her recurring. I liked how Miggy is getting fleshed out to seem more like a person versus a caricature.

I believe she was talking to Will.

Maybe her office has Fridays off - some places, at least around here, do longer days Monday-Thursday, then Friday off.

I think Douglas probably had a nanny at some point, maybe when his wife was alive, but then maybe he was too distraught after the loss of his wife. Or maybe his abrasive personality made every nannying group in the area blacklist him.

With Jack, I *think* in a previous episode, Miggy mentioned he was dropping Jack off at daycare.

Oh, thank you with regard to the walnut allergy! Totally missed that. (She’s quite the flirt.)

In the beginning, Graham was quirky but still in the vicinity of cute/funny. At this point, all his various paranoias and "issues" are literally screaming for a visit to a child psychiatrist...which none of the adults appear to notice. 

• Love 5

“They Call Me DOCTOR Biscuits!” – When Graham and Rory are cast in their school’s production of “Grease,” with Graham as the lead and Rory with a lesser known part, Poppy and Angie get involved and try to appeal to the drama teacher, Dr. Biscuits (Rhys Darby), to make changes. Meanwhile, Will is not ready to tell Sophie that he’s seeing Dr. Dewan (Hannah Simone), so against his better judgment, he takes Douglas’ advice and lies to Sophie, on an all-new episode of “Single Parents,” WEDNESDAY, NOV. 7 (9:31-10:00 p.m. EST), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

• Love 1

I have...so many questions about an all child production of Grease. 

I love Sophie and Douglas playing off each other, and their commitment to their lies. And I really like Dr. Dewan, its fun seeing Hannah Simone in such a different kind of role, I got so used to her as Cece on New Girl

• Love 5
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

have...so many questions about an all child production of Grease. 

Me too! I can’t believe nobody questioned the idea of 7year olds doing this play but then again since they let that one kid watch Pretty Woman all bets are off.

I hope they keep Dr. CeCe cos I love her. 

The kids are a bit much sometimes but I’m still enjoying the show.

• Love 5

Dr. Biscuits's play: Hey I know that actor who played Dr. Biscuits!!  This play was hysterical!!! Especially when Graham was multiple characters and Will asked if there is something wrong with him!!! BAHAHAHAHAHA! That is sweet that Poppy wanted to help her son. :)

Will and the gang:  Okay Will eww! Stop talking about your sex life. So disrespectful. You are also acting so goofy talking about it. Like you are a teenager.

Will and Sophie: Okay I hated this storyline!!!! He has to tell her everything?!! When he said that, I thought he was going to tell her that he had sex with the doctor!! It's like Will you don't need to tell her that!!!! I was starting not to like him, until he told her that he and the doctor are seeing each other.. Whew. :)  Sophie has a diary?!!? I wonder what she says since she is only 7.

Sophie: Dear diary. I like this boy who hates Halloween, so I hate Halloween now. Oh the boy doesn't like me. What a jerk! Well I like Halloween again. My daddy is dating my doctor. He says they hold hands a lot.

Will, Sophie, Dr. Dewan, and Douglas:  Douglas and Sophie's exchange was hysterical!!!! Douglas knows how to lie on the fly!!! BAHAHAHAHAHA! Especially his flashback!!! Oh this is my sister! HAHAHAHAHA! I love Douglas. :) When are you going to tell Poppy you are warm for her form? :) (Friends reference) :)

Douglas's daughters: WOW! They know how to take apart a car?!?!?!! Impressive! :)

7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Sophie and Douglas were great playing off each other. “It’s a national award, where else would it be!”

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! We need more of this!!!!  :) STAT!

7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

And I really like Dr. Dewan, its fun seeing Hannah Simone in such a different kind of role, I got so used to her as Cece on New Girl

Yeah she is great here!!! I love new girl! Too bad it had to end. :(

• Love 2

I am so conflicted about this show. I like it and really love all the adult actors and think they are great.

It's just the kids bug me.  I mean they are so unrealistic with their vocabulary, etc... they give them dialogue like they are Juno or Woody Allen.  I know it's just a show and for laughs to make the kids this way, but then they give the kids normal kid problems (crushes, stage fright, parent dating again) right now they just seem like shrunken adults.

But I still like the show...Oh I am conflicted!  Anybody else?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Poohbear617 said:

I am so conflicted about this show. I like it and really love all the adult actors and think they are great.

It's just the kids bug me.  I mean they are so unrealistic with their vocabulary, etc... they give them dialogue like they are Juno or Woody Allen.  I know it's just a show and for laughs to make the kids this way, but then they give the kids normal kid problems (crushes, stage fright, parent dating again) right now they just seem like shrunken adults.

Yeah, the all of the dialogue of the kids is pretty unrealistic. I said in another thread it's like a show full of Mannys from Modern Family (who I hate), but these kids are more tolerable.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

Yeah I like the show, but some things bug me too!!!! So I don't know what to do! ROFL! :)

• Love 2

How old are the kids suppose to be? I thought the first episode said they were 6 but as episodes go on, they seem like they are 4th grade (age 10ish)? Our family usually gives new sitcoms a chance but we are having a had time getting int this one. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

I reallllllly hope the writers go out and talk to some early elementary kids and just see how they actually talk. These kids are not talking like first grade at all. Graham is the closest to acting like a first grader (severe anxiety aside)

3 hours ago, silverspoons said:

How old are the kids suppose to be? I thought the first episode said they were 6 but as episodes go on, they seem like they are 4th grade (age 10ish)? Our family usually gives new sitcoms a chance but we are having a had time getting int this one. 

They are all in first grade (Except for the baby) - So 6 or 7 years old.

• Love 2

“The Beast” – Will encourages Angie to rediscover her passion for heavy metal music by taking a guitar class, and in turn, Angie insists that Will get back in the field covering weather by driving both of them into a storm. Meanwhile, the rest of the gang explore their romantic passions as Douglas pursues his crush on Big Red with the help of Miggy, and Poppy feels an instant connection with a dreamy musician, on an all-new episode of “Single Parents,” WEDNESDAY, NOV. 28 (9:31-10:00 p.m. EST), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

Brad Garrett and the SNL guy are so good. They are carrying the show. They should not broadcast any episodes without the pediatrician, however.

Douglas became a man at the age of nine.

I loved the song about the stepmother who mistakenly thought the keyboardist spilled a beverage on her white sofa.  

• Love 4

Good Lord, I found both Brad Garret and the main guy kind of hot this episode. The main guy actually has a pretty good body and not the "dad body" I thought he had. I liked most of the episode and thought it was cute when the kids were dressing up Poppy and she had to change everything. I did not buy that the main guy's daughter is so mature that she "puts the other kids to bed" while her and Poppy giggle like girlfriends over some type of Downton Abby like show on the BBC. Miggy was less clueless and I knew they were not going to the trouble of casting exes until they know if the show is renewed.

• Love 3

I may not completely buy Sophie being that mature either, but it makes for a cute story with her and Poppy dishing like girlfriends. I would actually like to see more of that.

I know she's older but Miggy should totally go for the lady that liked him. She's cuter than Big Red. 

Edited by Aryanna
  • Love 4

I can buy Sophie being more mature than the others (Also, the kids acted the most like kids in this episode than any episode before - especially with how they dressed Poppy!), but not "Watch something like Downton Abbey" mature - maybe something more like "Watch a cooking competition show and be able to focus the whole time"

• Love 2
5 hours ago, bros402 said:

I can buy Sophie being more mature than the others (Also, the kids acted the most like kids in this episode than any episode before - especially with how they dressed Poppy!), but not "Watch something like Downton Abbey" mature - maybe something more like "Watch a cooking competition show and be able to focus the whole time"

Yes, I was a strange child that actually watched Masterpiece Theatre at the age of nine. I do believe there are kids like that but the actress is not selling it for me. She is just a little too Hollywood. I liked it better when she was shown as a very bright child who still acted like a kid. I hope they go back to that.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I expected the hot singer would perform badly, but the song was sooo bad, it was truly hilarious.

That song was so great. What was he said? Something about spilling wine on your white couch. Haha.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, qtpye said:

Yes, I was a strange child that actually watched Masterpiece Theatre at the age of nine. I do believe there are kids like that but the actress is not selling it for me. She is just a little too Hollywood. I liked it better when she was shown as a very bright child who still acted like a kid. I hope they go back to that.

Yeah, but you were 9, Sophie is 6 or 7 - her attention span is probably 15 minutes at most - there's a big difference between 9 and 6, maturity and attention span wise.

I hope they go back to her acting like kids - the kids making slime and laughing when it made fart noises - that is what a 6 or 7 year old does!

And Poppy was very brave to leave them out of her sight when they were playing with that slime.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, bros402 said:

Yeah, but you were 9, Sophie is 6 or 7 - her attention span is probably 15 minutes at most - there's a big difference between 9 and 6, maturity and attention span wise.

My niece and goddaughter are 6 and 7 respectively and they most definitely have longer attention spans than that they both love Miss Marple and Poirot. Not every kid has a short attention span.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

My niece and goddaughter are 6 and 7 respectively and they most definitely have longer attention spans than that they both love Miss Marple and Poirot. Not every kid has a short attention span.

Most have an attention span around there - I believe for children it is something like 2-5 minutes per year old they are. So, at *most* it is probably 30, 35 minutes. Maybe 40 on the upper end, but she is still a young child

On 11/28/2018 at 10:49 PM, tennisgurl said:

Not gonna lie...the Beast was kind of hot. 

Agreed. And Miggy was looking pretty fine in his suit too. I like that he is evolving as a character and maybe can move on from his baby mama.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, xander874 said:

Agreed. And Miggy was looking pretty fine in his suit too. I like that he is evolving as a character and maybe can move on from his baby mama.

Miggy is a good looking guy. They really make him goofy for the show. 

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 2

I liked that they addressed directly the question of whether ... I forget her name... found the Beast hot. Most shows would leave it as subtext and turn it into a thing where no one talks about it. I really liked that Will was aware, said something, and it wasn't a big deal. They both acted like adults, even while being crazy. That's the best kind of shenanigans,  I think-- where the folks are kind of cutting loose, but not regressing in terms of baseline sanity, and are able to pull it together and be adults where it really matters.

• Love 1