Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08 Part VIII

• Start Topic

Looks like I was right. 

And this season was as dumb as the last one. I thought it was goung to be better after episode 1 but, nope. I could see that Heather's dad was Julian's dad a mile away. And turns out there was no good reason he killed those 2 people. 

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 11

Well that could have been a nice ending to the show this SHOULD have been from the start, without all the misdirects, tangents, and loose ends. Not really thrilled with it.. the show or the ending. Such a disappointing reveal... so cliche'. Only the fine acting saved this mess.

• Love 7

I hope this series is renewed and Bill Pullman is back. I really enjoyed this season after so many other disappointments. Of course, I still await True Detective season 3.  D

Most of what I thought would happen, did. Doesn't necessarily make it predictable in general. I like that they didn't dwell too much on the cult aspects too much and made it more of a personal story. "Moral Terror" I liked that.

• Love 14
25 minutes ago, Lamima said:

Looks like I was right. 

I was going to say, kudos to whoever it was that called it on cop daddy being Julian's daddy. Unfortunately, I thought it would have been consensual, but it wasn't, it was basically rape. UGH. Odd that Julian doesn't favor either parent.

Glad that big sis Heather is going to be there for him and take him to Niagara Falls and all, but I can't say I really cared for the whole ending, especially Ambrose's revelation.

• Love 5

They needed 8 episodes for that? And they never answered why Julian killed Bess and Adam. This was a horrible show, just ridiculous. It was filled with red herrings and preposterous. Was this written by a grad student who won a contest and the prize was that USA would make his scripts into a series?  It was real amateurish. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 11

I kind of loved it. The actors hit it out of the park. Vera and Julian in the cafe, deciding to go back? OMG that was really beautiful. The Ambrose therapy session was really intense. He actually smiled at the end, but with the side eyes and grimacing, he's still a powder keg.

The were a bunch of loose ends/red herrings (the Beacon, Heather's mother,etc), but life is that way. I think that's the point of every season. The main story is told, but we see other stories weave in and out, sometimes having a direct effect on the main story, sometimes just intersecting before moving separately.

• Love 16

I kind of liked it too except for the fact that they never explained the first murder.  We never found out why he killed them--if it was just because he was afraid they were taking him away?  Nothing.

Otherwise, I enjoyed them wrapping up the stories.  I don't know that I would have seen all of them if I hadn't read the speculation here. 

• Love 10

I'm kind of disappointed, since I thought a lot more was going on than was going on.  I'm still not sold on Heather's dad being Julian's father.  Not likely.  Both parents being fair skin, blue eyes, light hair and the child dark skin and very dark eyes.  I used to think that two blued eyed parents couldn't have child with brown eyes, but, apparently, they've changed the rules on genetics now. I googled and it may be possible, but, I don't think likely. Anyone around here in that field?   Just something to throw you off for the show, imo.  Not amusing to me.  

Plus, didn't Marin tell Vera at Moss Wood that Beacon was the father?  So, if Vera knew no different, why would Vera have reason to know that Julian was Heather's dad was the father?  And, when Marin wanted to get Julian back, why not go to Heather's dad and ask for help?  Just a lot of convoluted stuff, for no real reason, imo.

What did Ambrose say to Vera when he was in that trance thing with her that was on that video?  What were they doing and what were the last words he uttered. I have a hard time understanding him. 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm kind of disappointed, since I thought a lot more was going on than was going on.  I'm still not sold on Heather's dad being Julian's father.  Not likely.  Both parents being fair skin, blue eyes, light hair and the child dark skin and very dark eyes.  I used to think that two blued eyed parents couldn't have child with brown eyes, but, apparently, they've changed the rules on genetics now. I googled and it may be possible, but, I don't think likely. Anyone around here in that field?   Just something to throw you off for the show, imo.  Not amusing to me.  

Plus, didn't Marin tell Vera at Moss Wood that Beacon was the father?  So, if Vera knew no different, why would Vera have reason to know that Julian was Heather's dad was the father?  And, when Marin wanted to get Julian back, why not go to Heather's dad and ask for help?  Just a lot of convoluted stuff, for no real reason, imo.

What did Ambrose say to Vera when he was in that trance thing with her that was on that video?  What were they doing and what were the last words he uttered. I have a hard time understanding him. 

I wouldn't call Marin "fair". She was a brunette and I didn't notice on my tv that she had blue eyes. I don't like that plot twist either, but not for that reason. Julain and Heather look like they could be related to one another, but neither looks related to Jack, frankly.

Marin says "He" is the father when she tells Vera she is pregnant. We are to assume she means the Beacon, but she doesn't say so. 

And I guess we are to assume Vera killed the Beacon, even though she says he just slipped away on his own.

This is my problem with the show. They do all this twisty-turny mystery BS, and then they have a great scene between Ambrose and Vera where we read between the lines (based on the character examination and 2 excellent performances) to see that she killed the Beacon. However, the show set-up tells us NOT to read between the lines based on psychology, because it's going to keep throwing out red herrings and playing GOTCHA! with us using plot devices. (remember the body in the lake that turned out to be TOTALLY unrelated and someone we never heard of  - or ever heard about again). So we get to decide for ourselves which was true... she killed him.. she didn't kill him. And I don't even care now.

Thanks show.. Way to tie up the loose ends there.

And everyone lives happily ever after...

except Carmen Bell.

and poor Marin of course

and that sad streetwise hooker who gets her feet burned by psycho Glen.

And Ambrose... who wants "Oblivion". (That's what he said to Vera)

And Vera herself... who wants to control, not to help, and now has nothing and no one to control.

If anyone is interested in a tightly woven mystery of a similar nature, but with less crap thrown at the wall just to see what will stick (and then not cleaned up after dinner) check out Jessica Biel's movie The Tall Man. They could have made more compelling drama of THIS story by making it that short. But based on her involvement in that movie and the nature of these 2 seasons, I think the tone of this show is all her as executive producer.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 3

I believed the beacon was the father until the start of this episode. I don't even understand how Vera was able to blackmail Novack over this? Vera and Heather's dad didn't even personally know each other. She didn't even know Heather. Vera was a Mosswood member and once you enter Mosswood, the rest of the world doesn't exist. How can she force an outsider who is also a stranger to send her money for 10 years? It's not like she was ever going to report it to the police.  And one more time. She never even met Heather's dad. They have no connection at at.   Vera believed the beacon was the father. Marin told Vera he[the beacon] was the father. I'm positive TB believed he was the father too. If I'm wrong about the cult mother not knowing Heather's dad or Heather, then correct me if I'm wrong. I'm positive there wasn't any flashback or present scenes showing that. But we all knew daddy dearest was hiding something and was involved in some way. Of course he kept the keys in his jeans. Of course he did! The trope says the culprit will always leave the evidence right there in the open. They still never explained why Julian chose to kill Beth and that other member instead of just running away. He knew them well. They never harmed him. His first instinct was to poison them, even though they gave him no reason to do that. It did have good suspense at the start of the season. 

Edited by Simba122504
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

They still never explained why Julian chose to kill Beth and that other member instead of just running away. He knew them well. They never harmed him. His first instinct was to poison them, even though they gave him no reason to do that. It did have good suspense at the start of the season. 

The only thing I can think of is Vera said a little bit makes you crazy and a lot makes you dead. Maybe Julian thought he only added a little bit.

Ambrose doesn't care if Vera murdered "The Beacon" or did she?

Vera sets fire to a rock, does the cult still exist?

Does Purple Lake exist?

How many of the townspeople are members of the cult, at first it seemed like there were many. now not so much.

How did Marin get all of her money for vehicles, gambling, kidnapping and traveling? Certainly being a nun doesn't paid that well. It would have made more sense if Heather's father was paying Marin to keep her underaged trap shut about what happened that night for 14 years.

• Love 3

Good points above.  I did check to confirm that both the actress who plays Marin and the actor who plays Heather's dad have very blue eyes.  It just seemed that they cast a boy who would be drastically different in appearance from the characters who would turn out to be the parent.  So unnecessary.  

Who does Detective Ambrose actually work for? 

When Vera burned the barn, where were the other commune members? Did no one come to see the fire?

Did they say that Julian was being sent to CA to a group home? 

What happened to Heather's dad.  

• Love 2

I thought I remember someone telling Vera that many cult members left. The money Marin had seems to have come from Heather's dad. Ambrose mentioned the cash withdrawals.

I looked at some past scenes, and Marin told Vera about her late period and said it was "him". Of course at that time we assumed it was Beacon, but now it seems clear Marin told Vera about Heather's dad, thus that's why he been paying child support for so long.

We were misdirected about the night in question. We thought an important incident took place earlier, when the assault took place after Heather was put in bed in a drunk stupor. 

Many things drew Marin to Mosswood. She visited there many times. She moved in after the assault.

I completely missed that Marin said Heather's mom died of cancer.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

What was the point of the giant rock? 

Yeah, I was disappointed there was no further explanation of that Holy Rock. Was it a meteorite, did it have special powers? Or was it just an excuse to start a He-Man Woman Haters Club?

If there's a 3rd season, please let them (try to) adapt another book so I can just read that to fill in the inevitable script gaps.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Darian said:

The strong acting wasn't enough to overcome the lazy, indulgent storytelling. Wish I'd learned my lesson from season 1 and not come back for this one. 

Couldn’t agree more and I have no one to blame but myself. I thought maybe Season 1 was an anomaly and I really enjoyed the beginning of this season and thought it might be different, but nope. Lazy storytelling with an ending that left me cold and really left more questions than it answered as to why everything they showed me up to that point happened. I’m out. 

• Love 6

I found this underwhelming. I did like the scene between Vera and Julian about going back but the rest of everything made little sense.

Why did Julian poison Bess and the other guy? The way Julian has been portrayed this entire season, I'm just not buying it. I can see some messed up cult-raised kid doing it but not Julian as they have shown us. 

Why did Marin call up Heather's dad? Just for money? Why wouldn't she do that before she took Julian instead of after. If she had a whole plan for kidnapping Julian, you think she'd be more prepared. When Heather's dad went back into the cabin to call 911 after he shot Marin, he went back again to talk to Julian. Why and what did he say to him? "Sorry I shot your mom. Please don't tell anyone. By the way, I'm your dad. Good luck, bye." So ridiculous. 

• Love 6

What is it with this new trend of loose ends ambiguous endings? First Castle Rock now this show. If we have to make up our own endings because the writers can’t seem to get there, we might as well write the whole script! Some posters here had good theories and would do a better job of it too.

• Love 7

I just get so frustrated that there are definitely talented writers who are capable of doing a fine job, but, they obviously are not being utilized in much of the stuff we see on these series. Granted, there are a few shows that are really good, others that are decent, but, many are just ridiculous. They have great potential too!  When the writers are around the table, do they just get lazy, forget, or just don't give a fat rat's asp?  I can't figure it out.  I would bet that there are at least a dozen posters around on this site who could write an awe some script.  So, apparently those who do poor jobs keep making the big bucks.....so unfair. 

I think the writers fall into the trap of trying to make the viewer gasp or get on edge, but, then they don't think about how that is going to pan out later or why it makes sense of the scheme of the plot.  I read a good piece lately by Vince Gilligan (Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul), where he talks about writers having the courage to resist that mistake. It wasn't preachy, but, contained a lot of values about writing that he has committed to Many of these spazzy writers need to take a look at it. 

Oh, did they ever explain why the poisoned guy told the woman that he had spoken with the mechanic and the vehicle was almost repaired, but, it seemed later, that it never happened? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

Here's one. Why did the doctor kill himself? 

Oh geez, I forgot all about that.  Yeah, why?  We were led to believe there was a group of men using/abusing women, and we saw a pillar of the community with a metronome in his house.  Was he guilty of something?

And what happens with everyone in Mosswood now? 

It'd be nice to know if some of the sloppiness was because of editing -- that they wrote for 10 episodes but were only given 8.

• Love 1

Here’s my take on the show.

Mosswood was a place where prominent men from the town came to abuse women.  The Beacon allowed that.  Vera realized what was going on at some point.

Marin became pregnant by Heather’s father.  I believe she was too drunk to give consent.  Marin went to Mosswood because she wanted to get away from everything.  

The doctor killed himself because he didn’t want it to come out that he was performing abortions at Mosswood, also maybe he saw that women were being abused and said nothing.

The tea Vera gave Abbrose was laced with something, that droning sound seemed to bring on a hypnotic state,nuthatch plus the tea produced something like a blackout.  Ambrose basically said he wants to die, that’s what oblivion is, but he doesn’t actually want to die, if that makes sense.

The body they found had nothing to do with Mosswood.

I really liked the show.  I don’t need everything wrapped up in a nice red bow for me to be satisfied.

• Love 14

Wasn't Marin like 17 too, when the rape happened???

A couple other things that bugged, in this last episode...

when Ambrose and Heather were at the scene with Marin's body and they were told Vera's brown car was stopped and they rushed to that scene. They pull up, get out of their car and are looking at Vera's brown car stopped but was driving towards them. Yet they think Julian is in the car and that they had something to do with Marin's death and taking Julian. Wouldn't Vera's brown car, then, be heading AWAY from where Ambrose pulled up and not heading towards???

then, ....oh, crud, I forgot...but there was another directing boo-boo I noticed....now I can't recall. Oh, yeah...Heather went to wash her clothes and opened washer and threw her stuff in and then opened dryer, which was still going and examing what was in there. Like why would she even go to the dryer that was still drying? Why wouldn't she wait until her stuff was washed and then she needed to move to dryer?

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The only thing I can think of is Vera said a little bit makes you crazy and a lot makes you dead. Maybe Julian thought he only added a little bit.

Ambrose doesn't care if Vera murdered "The Beacon" or did she?

Vera sets fire to a rock, does the cult still exist?

Does Purple Lake exist?

How many of the townspeople are members of the cult, at first it seemed like there were many. now not so much.

How did Marin get all of her money for vehicles, gambling, kidnapping and traveling? Certainly being a nun doesn't paid that well. It would have made more sense if Heather's father was paying Marin to keep her underaged trap shut about what happened that night for 14 years.

He knew them since birth and they didn't do anything to harm him while he was with them. The murders don't make sense because there is no motive. A lot of unanswered questions and not just the murders. 

• Love 3

Julian overheard Bess and Adam saying that they weren't ever taking him back to Mosswood and that the Niagra Falls thing was a ruse. He also believed that when someone died, they just started over and that sometimes people needed to start over as part of their "work". I don't think he fully understood what death was until he saw how horribly Bess was suffering as she died.

I think he had motive... what he didn't have was real understanding of what he was motivated to do.

The other loose ends? Just stupid writing designed to keep us coming back every week so that the sponsors got their money's worth. They didn't really care about telling a coherent story. They only cared about luring the viewers back week after week. The sad thing is that we would have done that anyway, and perhaps even more people would have if they had done a better job.

• Love 15
On 9/19/2018 at 8:39 PM, DakotaLavender said:

Was this written by a grad student who won a contest and the prize was that USA would make his scripts into a series?  It was real amateurish. 

HA!  Perfect description.  

This finale was such a snoozer.  And gross old man rape of a teen girl. 

• Love 1

Unless I missed something from an earlier episode, I was bothered in the finale that the pivotal rape scene seemed to come out of left field, with no prior indication that Heather's father was the type of person who might even contemplate that sort of behavior. Maybe that was the point the writers were trying to make, but it seemed very casually thrown out there.

Edited by Rickster
Spelling
  • Love 4

All that high powered acting talent wasted on a season that ended like the sound of a balloon sputtering out the last of its air.  I, too, was huh? at the Marin rape scene - really, writers?  And that dumb rock they all prayed to.  I didn't even understand what was going on in that last few minutes when Ambrose was recalling that faux-sexual encounter with Vera until I read the comments here.   All those overwrought, almost kissing close-ups to say that Ambrose had a cold mother?  

I do give the kid actor credit for really giving it his all in the emoting department.   His little furrowed face and scrunched up brow actually made me feel drained from tension and anxiety, so I can only imagine with the role took out of him.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, patty1h said:

All that high powered acting talent wasted on a season that ended like the sound of a balloon sputtering out the last of its air.  I, too, was huh? at the Marin rape scene - really, writers?  And that dumb rock they all prayed to.  I didn't even understand what was going on in that last few minutes when Ambrose was recalling that faux-sexual encounter with Vera until I read the comments here.   All those overwrought, almost kissing close-ups to say that Ambrose had a cold mother?  

I do give the kid actor credit for really giving it his all in the emoting department.   His little furrowed face and scrunched up brow actually made me feel drained from tension and anxiety, so I can only imagine with the role took out of him.

The best thing about the rock is that it gave me a case of the giggles. I wish the rock was the antagonist. An evil rock? Just call me the Joker because I would have been on the floor. lol

• Love 1
13 hours ago, slothgirl said:

Julian overheard Bess and Adam saying that they weren't ever taking him back to Mosswood and that the Niagra Falls thing was a ruse. He also believed that when someone died, they just started over and that sometimes people needed to start over as part of their "work". I don't think he fully understood what death was until he saw how horribly Bess was suffering as she died.

I think he had motive... what he didn't have was real understanding of what he was motivated to do.

The other loose ends? Just stupid writing designed to keep us coming back every week so that the sponsors got their money's worth. They didn't really care about telling a coherent story. They only cared about luring the viewers back week after week. The sad thing is that we would have done that anyway, and perhaps even more people would have if they had done a better job.

It was mentioned earlier that Ambrose had parents. Yet, we never found out who his father was and his mother's obituary didn't even mention a husband. If she were a single parent who a kid as a single parent. Why say he lost both parents? Also career women choosing to have kids by themselves was not popular in Harry's youth. 

I thought the scene with Ambrose's mom and him in the house was odd too. He seemed like a nice and smart kid.  Would he really set fine to his house and not realize that he wouldn't be able to return to it. He asked that later.  It was as if they were comparing the act of setting the fire by Ambrose and the poisoning by Julian.  Neither made much sense to me.  I realize kids don't think with adult brains, but, I just didn't buy these stories. 

Wasn't Ambrose without his top in that in front of the fireplace scene with Vera?  Did she take it off of him? Were they sexually intimate? I couldn't tell. 

And what about poor Heather?  She thought her girlfriend was dead, then has to watch the lake get dredged and a female body pulled up, not sure at first if that's Marin's body.  Then Marin shows up alive, to kidnap her son away from a bunch of cultist.  The final stab for Heather is finding Marin was murdered by her own father, who raped Marin back in the day and fathered the boy that is the center of everything.   And that boy turns out to be Heather's little brother!   This is some soap opera level melodrama, folks. 

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 12
52 minutes ago, Simba122504 said:

It was mentioned earlier that Ambrose had parents. Yet, we never found out who his father was and his mother's obituary didn't even mention a husband. If she were a single parent who a kid as a single parent. Why say he lost both parents? Also career women choosing to have kids by themselves was not popular in Harry's youth. 

I think you quoted the wrong post in this response. I don't understand how what you wrote relates to the post of mine that you quoted

21 hours ago, Lamima said:

then, ....oh, crud, I forgot...but there was another directing boo-boo I noticed....now I can't recall. Oh, yeah...Heather went to wash her clothes and opened washer and threw her stuff in and then opened dryer, which was still going and examing what was in there. Like why would she even go to the dryer that was still drying? Why wouldn't she wait until her stuff was washed and then she needed to move to dryer?

True, I assumed it was because the keys were making noise.

• Love 1
On ‎09‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, meep.meep said:

Why that was just as satisfying as the ending to the first season.

Who was the dead person found in the lake?  Why was no one interested in that killing?

What was the point of the giant rock?  

The person in the lake was a woman who'd killed herself.  They did say something about that, I believe in the last episode, but it was quick.

I actually felt that the finale answered all the important questions that I'd had.  Was it perfect?  No, but I enjoyed it.  I didn't watch last season so had nothing to compare it to, but it worked for me.

14 hours ago, slothgirl said:

This is what I thought.  And given the discussion about jimson weed we saw between Vera and Julian, I don't think he really understood that they would die.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I actually felt that the finale answered all the important questions that I'd had.  Was it perfect?  No, but I enjoyed it.  I didn't watch last season so had nothing to compare it to, but it worked for me.

There were way too many extraneous plots in the stories told in both Season 1 and Season 2, but more in the latter than the former, I think.  And there were way too many unanswered questions in Season 2 as well, but ... whatever. 

The ending worked for me too.  I was more satisfied than frustrated by it.   Ambrose, Julian, and Vera had good endings that gave me hope for them.  Heather too where Marin is concerned.  At least the nagging questions she had can be put to rest.

I also liked how Ambrose's and Vera's stories intersected and that they each helped each other in a way. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I still have a lot of questions (the origin of the rock, the suicidal quarterback, Heather's mom, etc) but I think the biggest questions were more or less answered, and at least most of the characters got some form of closure. The acting was really great from everyone, and that really saved some of the leaps in plot logic, and the fact that I pretty much figured out most of the big plot points. The thing I didnt see coming was Heather's dad full on raping Marin, and didnt have consensual (statutory rape?) sex with her. Yuck. Poor Heather and Marin. 

Nice seeing Ambrose and Heather took poor, traumatized Julian to finally see Niagra Falls! Julian lost his mom, but he did at least get a cool new big sister, even if the circumstances around it are awful. 

I did want to know more about the cult, and whats its deal really was. I get that the Beacon was using his "work" to abuse people and was going to sacrifice Julian, and Vera killed him to stop him, but I still dont know what exactly the cult was trying to do, or what the rock really was. Or, why the doctor who was a secret member killed himself, or if anyone else in town knew about it. I mean, I guess we can speculate, but I wish we could have gotten some actual information, and not just a bunch of creepy forshadowing bits. 

Well, I did at least still like the character stuff, and those all had proper endings, so thats something at least.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

It was mentioned earlier that Ambrose had parents. Yet, we never found out who his father was and his mother's obituary didn't even mention a husband.

I kind of remember a scene of a young Ambrose visiting his mother in the mental institution, a view from the mother's window of small boy standing next to a man in a suit, which I assumed was Ambrose's father.

6 hours ago, slothgirl said:

I think you quoted the wrong post in this response. I don't understand how what you wrote relates to the post of mine that you quoted

No, I quoted the right person. You responded to my post about motive and unanswered questions. I brought up Harry's father because that was another unanswered question. Sorry, if it caused confusion.  

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I kind of remember a scene of a young Ambrose visiting his mother in the mental institution, a view from the mother's window of small boy standing next to a man in a suit, which I assumed was Ambrose's father.

I think he was put in foster care after the house fire. There was never any mention of what happened to the father if he was in the picture at all.  I don't think that was his father. To multi quote I have to press the quotation mark with the plus right? If it's a violation, I didn't do it on purpose. : ( 

• Love 1

Why would Marin be underage?  I thought they made it clear that she and Heather were 18 years old when Marin went to Moss Wood. Oh....I really don't want to have  to watch a bunch of this show again to find the part I'm looking for.  lol  

• Love 2