Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I think it would be hilarious if there was a Music category on Monday and a clue like "This all-female band's second album in 1977 was entitled 'Queens of Noise'".

LOL, I have that album as well as all of The Runaways albums, along with other all-female bands, Fanny, Isis and Birtha.  Jackie did very well on the show. 

Edited by Tenarife60
add comment
  • Love 1

Regarding the "intestate/intestant" controversy, the question asked in this link suggests that the latter may be a valid alternative. So I'll give the judges and contestant the benefit of the doubt. I found Jackie annoying also, though I couldn't say why. I'm always impressed when people go from bad starts to runaway victories.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Regarding the "intestate/intestant" controversy, the question asked in this link suggests that the latter may be a valid alternative. So I'll give the judges and contestant the benefit of the doubt.

Thank you!  I looked it up in the Funk and Wagnalls, but I planned on checking Black's Law Dictionary Monday at work.  Or I was going to go quietly inset.  I mean, insane.  

• Love 4

I missed FJ because I was thinking of Ringling Bros and Barnum and Bailey Circus.  But then I can't recall if that ended this past year or the year before. 

And that is a whole lot to write for a FJ answer. 

Not just the intestate answer, I thought there was another answer you misspoke on the pronunciation as well, though I can't recall which one right now

I'll admit that I teared up a bit at FJ. Toys'Я' Us was a favorite of mine as a kid along with KayBee. *sniff* 

15 hours ago, teebax said:

I had upset, temperature, anointment, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and FJ in an instaget. 

I can't believe we didn't get through Teams on the Move. I'd have run it!

Yeah, I got those. I'm not surprised about the Teams on the Move category. After that epic fail football category, contestants seem to be hesitant to go with sports related topics. I would have run it too. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Regarding the "intestate/intestant" controversy, the question asked in this link suggests that the latter may be a valid alternative. So I'll give the judges and contestant the benefit of the doubt.

As someone who frequents that site, the question asker is not an authority and might not be correct.  Just want to point that out.

• Love 1

I struggled with the five interesting things

Not a problem. We will help. Alex likes to ask about marriage proposals. Also, "funny things that happened to me on a trip" (especially if it's a foreign country). Humorous pet stories. Hobbies and collectibles. Collectibles are yuuuuuge. Did you have a poster hanging in your room as a kid? And <drumroll> anything on his "bucket list" (I'm guessing teaching kids isn't one of them). 

• Love 2
On 2018-12-14 at 8:38 PM, Thalia said:

I'm an attorney, so I paid close attention to tonight's legal terms category.  I could swear that the female contestant said that people who die without wills die "intestant" instead of the correct answer of "intestate."   I rewound and listed two more times.  I kept waiting for Alex to say she couldn't keep money for that answer and it never happened.  Maybe I was wrong.  

I thought I heard the same thing, too, so count me among those who rewound to re-listen.

On 2018-12-14 at 11:51 PM, Clanstarling said:

We did too, though on replay, the mister thought that maybe she was just pronouncing it more like an 'eh' than an 'a'. He's a generous guy. 

In the end, this is what I heard, too. Like "chocolate".

• Love 1

My FJ streak continues...barely.

I had attention, restitution, J Crew DD, silicon, rubber, Tommy Lee, silver bullet, and xray. I had no idea on FJ so guessed Loki. 

There were a lot of TS in this game. When's the last time we cleared a board? 

• Love 3

I knew I was doomed when I saw the FJ category, and indeed, I had no clue.  Good for all the contestants that they got it!  Well, except that I was rooting for the end guy.

If Jackie would pick faster and not ramble so much during her DDs, we might be able to clear a board. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Glad to know I'm not the only one who took an instant dislike to Jackie.

Tonight during the "get to know you chat" Alex, she said that when she was younger she was known as "Malibu Barbie."  Just leave my tv.  

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Thalia said:

Tonight during the "get to know you chat" Alex, she said that when she was younger she was known as "Malibu Barbie."  Just leave my tv.  

I forgot about the Malibu Barbie thing.  Or possibly I blocked it out of my memory.  Gag me.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 5

With Norse Mythology, the answer is likely one of the big three.  When one is named in the clue and the other is too well known to be an FJ answer, you're left with the third.  The content of the clue pointing toward a trickster sealed the deal.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Thalia said:

Probably not her fault that someone called her that, but this is a good example of "stories not to tell Alex."

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t watch the interviews so don’t know if it came up but Jackie was the bassist for The Runaways!

No, she has never mentioned that.  Only that she worked for a motivational speaker... and I think it's that guy, Tony Robbins (if I got his name right), but she never said his name.  I was glad to see her do so well again.  I've been a fan of hers and The Runaways since the '70s.

• Love 3

I missed Friday's show but read the comments here with interest (as always).  Two minutes in tonight and I said Oh now I get it! And that was before Malibu Barbie told her story.

I was rooting for Alex since Hamtramck is very close by but I have to admit Jackie played pretty well.  The number of TS surprised me but I wondered if it was just conservative play, especially since I think I heard Jackie say I knew that a couple of times. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

That's Jackie Fox?  She was on The Chase back when that was still on and did mention she was in The Runaways.  She still has an annoying play style.

The linked story also says she was on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire 

• Love 4

My college nickname was "The Rack" and there is a zero percent chance I would tell that story on Jeopardy. The champ looks/acts like Chelsea Handler and Gwyneth Paltrow, two fairly insufferable people, had a baby.

Edited by ClareWalks
"and" has an N not an M, my autofill was wrrooooong
  • Love 10

I have questions about the clue with the "North Face" response.  Isn't that only true for the northern hemisphere? Isn't the colder side of a mountain in New Zealand the south side? Does moss grow on the south side of a Namibian tree? Are the zodiac constellations visible in the southern hemisphere?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

With Norse Mythology, the answer is likely one of the big three.  When one is named in the clue and the other is too well known to be an FJ answer, you're left with the third.  The content of the clue pointing toward a trickster sealed the deal.

I forgot about Loki. Plus, I was thinking that the person/figure they were looking for was older than Odin, so I did not have a guess.

The only TSs I got were silicon and silver bullet.

• Love 1
On 12/15/2018 at 7:41 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Not just the intestate answer, I thought there was another answer you misspoke on the pronunciation as well, though I can't recall which one right now

Was it "Othello" as an answer in the opera category?  I thought Otello was the opera, while Othello is the play. 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have questions about the clue with the "North Face" response.  Isn't that only true for the northern hemisphere? Isn't the colder side of a mountain in New Zealand the south side? Does moss grow on the south side of a Namibian tree? Are the zodiac constellations visible in the southern hemisphere?

It’s only true for the northern hemisphere but the question was asking about the sportswear company’s name so North Face is the only correct answer.

• Love 6

Alex--"What do you know about Norse mythology?"

Me--"Not a damn thing."

I would have bet zero. I know nothing about any kind of mythology and have no desire to learn. Good thing I'll never be on the show.

I did get rubber, x-ray, and one other that I can't remember because I didn't write anything down tonight.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

The champ looks/acts like Chelsea Handler and Gwyneth Paltrow, two fairly insufferable people, had a baby.

I thought she looked and acted like Dee from It's Always Sunny trying to look smart by wearing glasses.

Alex looked like she buzzer trained by using a shake weight. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t watch the interviews so don’t know if it came up but Jackie was the bassist for The Runaways!

That's awesome! I wonder why she hasn't mentioned it. I do vaguely remember someone from The Runaways being on The Chase but didn't make the connection. Thanks for the info. 

20 minutes ago, SHD said:

Alex looked like she buzzer trained by using a shake weight. 

That's hilarious! 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It’s only true for the northern hemisphere but the question was asking about the sportswear company’s name so North Face is the only correct answer.

I understand that about the answer; I was just wondering about how northern-hemisphere-centric we are - that so much we *know* to be true only applies to half the globe.

10 hours ago, Brookside said:
11 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

My college nickname was "The Rack" amd there is a zero percent chance I would tell that story on Jeopardy. 

Mine was "Bush" - not going there either.

You two make me thankful I never had nicknames. :)

12 hours ago, GenerationX said:

What I know about Norse Mythology is mostly from "The Almighty Johnsons" - and didn't really have a clue - but I thought "well, turning yourself into mare seems like a trick - and Loki is the trickster God." So I managed it on that thin strand of thought.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Kerri Okie said:

Was it "Othello" as an answer in the opera category?  I thought Otello was the opera, while Othello is the play. 

Thanks for the reminder!  I noticed that at the time, but forgot to post anything about it.  Verdi's opera is definitely called "Otello," because the Italian language does not have the "th" sound.

I wasn't familiar with the specific myth from Final Jeopardy, but turning into a mare, and even giving birth in that form, is definitely a Loki kind of thing to do.  There's a surprising amount of gender-bending in Norse mythology!

I have no real problem with Jackie, but then I rarely get too bugged by any contestant quirkiness.  It's interesting that she used to be a rock star, although I'm not too familiar with The Runaways.  I thought it would have been funny if the Musicians Memoirs category had included her or one of her bandmates, though--did Joan Jett ever write a memoir? :-)

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

It's interesting that she used to be a rock star, although I'm not too familiar with The Runaways.  I thought it would have been funny if the Musicians Memoirs category had included her or one of her bandmates, though--did Joan Jett ever write a memoir? :-)

I don't know if Joan Jett did, but I remember watching a biopic about The Runaways a few years ago.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I don't know if Joan Jett did, but I remember watching a biopic about The Runaways a few years ago.

Jackie wouldn't allow herself to be in that movie. Pulled this from Wikipedia (Jackie Fox was her stage name) :

Fox denied permission for her name to be used in the 2010 Hollywood feature film The Runaways. Instead, the producers created a fictional character named Robin (portrayed by actress Alia Shawkat) to play the band's bassist in the film.[3]

I believe the answers were the play the opera was based on - not the opera itself.  I was confused at first but then the other answers were also the plays.

Edited by M. Darcy
16 hours ago, teebax said:

My FJ streak continues...barely.

I had attention, restitution, J Crew DD, silicon, rubber, Tommy Lee, silver bullet, and xray. I had no idea on FJ so guessed Loki. 

There were a lot of TS in this game. When's the last time we cleared a board? 

I'm pretty good at Norse mythology, but still it took  me a moment to come up with Loki.

16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

That would've been a much more interesting story than "I walked on hot coals while working for Tony Robbins" and "some surfers called me Malibu Barbie".  But she's slow, talks too much between answers, jumps around, has a bit of a flat affect and is annoying, so I'd want her gone anyway.

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I thought it would have been funny if the Musicians Memoirs category had included her or one of her bandmates, though--did Joan Jett ever write a memoir? :-)

Did they even get to all those clues?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

I believe the answers were the play the opera was based on - not the opera itself.  I was confused at first but then the other answers were also the plays.

I had to go back and check.  The category was Shakespearian opera by aria, and the clue was "Desdemona! Che veggo!"  I noticed that Alex hesitated a moment before ruling "Othello" correct, and I wondered at the time if he was also thinking it should be Otello and just let her have it.  I wouldn't have.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I understand that about the answer; I was just wondering about how northern-hemisphere-centric we are - that so much we *know* to be true only applies to half the globe.

When there is a clothing company named South Face we will stop being "northern-hemisphere-centric." There are plenty of J clue/answers about things south of the equator in every game.

6 hours ago, teebax said:

That's awesome! I wonder why she hasn't mentioned it.

Maybe she had it on her interview cards but Trebek chooses what to talk about. Remember the guy who was one of the kids in Willy Wonka? Trebek never let him tell us about that, either.

I have no problem with Jackie so don't get all the hate she is catching. I would like to trim the sparse ends of her hair though, but that might be some newfangled hair fashion, like dark roots on dyed blond hair is now cool.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Maybe she had it on her interview cards but Trebek chooses what to talk about. Remember the guy who was one of the kids in Willy Wonka? Trebek never let him tell us about that, either.

I wonder if the producers don't want the show to be about anyone's notoriety so it is a general rule that anything in the "fame" realm isn't brought up. The interview stories are usually down to earth anecdotes, not major career accomplishments in business or anything like that. Maybe they want all the contestants to seem relatable to all the viewers. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, SHD said:

I wonder if the producers don't want the show to be about anyone's notoriety so it is a general rule that anything in the "fame" realm isn't brought up. The interview stories are usually down to earth anecdotes, not major career accomplishments in business or anything like that. Maybe they want all the contestants to seem relatable to all the viewers. 

Once upon a time, there was a J! contestant named Blaine Faulkner. I thought he looked an awful lot like Darin Morgan - because he was. Darin Morgan wrote the X-Files episode that AT was in and one of the characters in that ep was named Blaine Faulkner. I guessed at the time that Darin wasn't famous enough for Celeb J! but too famous to appear under his real name, sort of an opposite to Jackie, who used an alias in the band and is using her real name now on J!

And thanks, Driad, for the link to the alternative maps. I vaguely remember WW doing that; I've only started re-watching the entire series on Netflix.

• Love 3

Agree @SHD. There is enough hate for players as it is. Imagine if Jackie got to "brag" about being in a band. Some people already hate her because some dude gave her a nickname years ago, and she didn't have anything to do with that.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Agree @SHD. There is enough hate for players as it is. Imagine if Jackie got to "brag" about being in a band. Some people already hate her because some dude gave her a nickname years ago, and she didn't have anything to do with that.

Well, no. But she was the one who brought it up. Still, I personally found it amusing, because I could totally see her as a younger version of herself and it being a spot on nickname. So I took it as a somewhat self deprecating story, with a smidge of humble brag. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Jackie has stated that she was raped by their producer at a party in front of other members of the band so it might not be something she wants to bring up.

Jackie said she told producers she did'n want too talk about it unless she made it to her 3rd day and Alex brought it up today doing Jackie's interview.

• Love 4