Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got FJ!  I was so sure I was wrong but guessed the movie was Close Encounters. And then I started overthinking the math. 

Ha! Sleigh Ride. I’ve just spent a week complaining about that damn song on Facebook.  Someone kept playing it at work and I get flashbacks from high school (I played 2nd Violin and that part is basically 2 notes played over and over the entire song). 

• Love 1

I kind of felt bad for middle woman -- Andrew and the new champ were so fast on the buzzer!  She just didn't have a chance.  And while I didn't mind Andrew too terribly yesterday, I'm not sad to see him go.  FJ was almost an instaget for me -- I did have to do the math to come up with the year of the movie.  Since there were only two movies from 1977 that I could name (and I knew it wasn't Star Wars), it was easy!  :)

I also got carpet, Ted Stevens Airport, Keats, and Finland.

• Love 2

My math was bad, but I still got Devil's Tower. After all, how many blockbuster movies feature national monuments other than Close Encounters? DH guessed North by Northwest, but he missed the date part of the clue and besides, we learned earlier this week that Mount Rushmore was completed in the 30's.

I also got Prester John and Finland.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I know nothing about Mozart, so I answered Cossi Fan Tutti.  

You know enough to know Cosi Fan Tutti!  I knew enough to remember he caught hell for The Magic Flute, so I knew it wasn't that. I, like Jackie, guessed the Jupiter Symphony, which, at #41, was indeed his last symphone, but not his last work.

Ha! Sleigh Ride. I’ve just spent a week complaining about that damn song on Facebook.  Someone kept playing it at work and I get flashbacks from high school (I played 2nd Violin and that part is basically 2 notes played over and over the entire song). 

I always feel sorry for the guy playing the snare during Ravel's Bolero.

RE rotary dials -- when touch-tone phones were invented, we lost a good tool for building suspense in a movie. How often were we at the edge of our seats while the person in trouble tried to DIAL a phone & wait for the dial to spin back before going to the next number?

• Love 9

I had Thursday's FJ only because my wife and I love Amadeus and have seen it a bunch of times.  We even went downtown to see the Chicago Symphony Orchestra play the music live while the movie projected onto a huge screen on stage.  There is no better way to see that movie, I promise you.

I had Close Encounters, but could not for the life of me remember the monument's name.  The FJ streak ends at 9.

• Love 2

She can’t be dumb, because she made it through all the steps required to get on the show, but, holy crap, Ellie came off poorly.

I’ve never heard pea jacket, just pea coat.  (I got it, because of the category, I've just never heard it referred to that way.)

The carpet TS kind of surprised me, just because they’d already had another clue in that category to understand the way “daffynitions” was going to work.  They missed admission, too, though, so I guess it shouldn’t have.

Ted Stevens and Finland did surprise me a little, as did the missed DD of Algeria; that seems like something that comes up a lot on J!

I was just as stumped by Prester John as they were, and I didn’t get some of the Dreamy Literature clues they did.

I dislike most Christmas songs, but I knew all of them in the sleighing songs category.

I got FJ because I happen to know the first national monument was Devils Tower, but I've never seen the film, so that wouldn't have helped me if I didn't remember that fact from my visit there.

The Joe Biden clue was too easy; include a less-obvious fact about him!  I also thought it was an unnecessary assist to put the “up” in the luggage clue; just say “to fit here,” not “to fit up here.”

A picture of Guy Fieri is bad enough, but one of him in the midst of taking a giant bite of food?  Ugh.  I love that the contestant pronounced his name the real way though, not the stupid way he does.

• Love 3

My brain was not engaging in the first round. Also, I have never heard of Del Taco—it’s unusual for them to use a non-national chain. 

I got Prester John because I read a great book about cartography (and early world exploration) called The Fourth Part of the World—highly recommended for history geeks like me! Prester John showed up a lot on European-created early medieval maps of Africa. 

Also got Algeria and Finland, and getting FJ has my FJ streak at 15–woohoo!!!

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I’ve never heard pea jacket, just pea coat.  (I got it, because of the category, I've just never heard it referred to that way.)

Now that you mention it, I've always heard it as pea coat. Could they have said 'jacket' just so it would fit in the category?

A picture of Guy Fieri is bad enough, but one of him in the midst of taking a giant bite of food?  Ugh.  I love that the contestant pronounced his name the real way though, not the stupid way he does.

How did she pronounce it?

I got carpet, Vermont, and Finland (thanks to my NSF mnemonic). I've never heard of Prester John.

FJ was easy.

37 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Me either, I thought that one and parachute jumping were stretching just to fit the category!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I kind of felt bad for middle woman -- Andrew and the new champ were so fast on the buzzer!  She just didn't have a chance.  And while I didn't mind Andrew too terribly yesterday, I'm not sad to see him go.  FJ was almost an instaget for me -- I did have to do the math to come up with the year of the movie.  Since there were only two movies from 1977 that I could name (and I knew it wasn't Star Wars), it was easy!  :)

I also got carpet, Ted Stevens Airport, Keats, and Finland.

Unfortunately, I confused the date of the Close Encounters release with an anniversary of a life event of mine - rather than the event itself. Star Wars, however, is solid in my mind.

10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Me either, I thought that one and parachute jumping were stretching just to fit the category!

I said parachute jumps - which is what they're called as required tasks during the Airborne training at Fort Benning (my Dad washed out due to an injury back in the day). So I guess the "ing" worked in the context. But yeah, it might be stretching it a bit.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, Kathira said:

That is a nice article.

I like the new champ.

My two ts's were admission and Finland, plus I got the missed DD of Algeria. 

I don't know if I've ever heard of Devil's Tower and I've never seen Close Encounters so no FJ get for me.

Re p.j., I've heard pea jacket more than pea coat, so that one was easy for me.

15 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

My 1st guess for FJ on Friday was Mt. Rushmore but then the Hubby reminded me of the date & he came up with Devil's Tower...

My first thought was Mount Rushmore also, thinking of North by Northwest, then did the math and realized I was off by nearly 20 years. I could not think of Close Encounters. I did get admission and the missed DD of Algeria. Also made a wild guess on Vermont.

5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Do you suppose Graham's wife ever says "Honey, there's a new barber downtown - why don't we check him out?"

I'm a sucker for long hair on men, plus I liked his "when my band makes it big" story.

• Love 5

Not surprised that Andrew was a one & done, but he did much better today than I expected. I was rooting for him because Andrew is my son's name, but I like the new champ. Poor Ellie, but it was a good game, & the board got cleared in both rounds.

TS I got were carpet, admission, & Finland. FJ was an instaget as far as knowing what they were going for, but it took me a few seconds to remember the name. 

On 12/21/2018 at 12:27 PM, saber5055 said:

Kick me, I didn't notice, and I'm the one who wanted to trim her hair for her. I groom show dogs, I would do a good job.

I like her bangs. 

17 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

My 1st guess for FJ on Friday was Mt. Rushmore but then the Hubby reminded me of the date & he came up with Devil's Tower....that movie "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" always freaked me out :)

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

My first thought was Mount Rushmore also, thinking of North by Northwest, then did the math and realized I was off by nearly 20 years. I could not think of Close Encounters. I did get admission and the missed DD of Algeria. Also made a wild guess on Vermont.

I'm a sucker for long hair on men, plus I liked his "when my band makes it big" story.

Y'all are 4 days late for the Mt Rushmore FJ ;-)

• Love 4
8 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Do you suppose Graham's wife ever says "Honey, there's a new barber downtown - why don't we check him out?"

If one called Central Casting to fill the role of "guy who's spent 40 years and counting waiting for his band to take off," they would send Graham.  So I laughed out loud when his story so clearly fit his look.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I like long hair on men but I really itched to take some shampoo to his head, I felt the same for Jackie but to a much lesser degree.

I suppose it doesn't matter since he lost, but I'm pretty sure the ex-champ didn't phrase an answer in the "What is..." form. I guess they're lenient about that? Or maybe I misheard.

• Love 1

An early Merry Christmas to you all!

Today I had zircon, Duke, potato, despot, and for FJ I had Downing immediately.

I was impressed with Charbel's wagering. He has a great post on Reddit, and I intend to pick his brain regarding my upcoming audition. It's three weeks away, and I'm already getting butterflies. 

• Love 13

Happy Holidays to Everyone. May your season be filled with joy. 

I was impressed with the new champ (other than his shuffling from foot to foot). He did some gutsy wagering. 

I got all 3 DDs and FJ. Otherwise eh. 

@teebax You’ll do fine. Try some deep breaths to get your nerves under control. I have faith in you. 

• Love 5

Charnel was a deserving winner, especially given the gutsy DD betting but I thought they all did reasonably well tonight but I will admit being distracted by some remaining holiday food prep.  

And on that note - Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night! 🌲🌲🌲🌲

⛄☃️🎅🤶

• Love 6
3 hours ago, teebax said:

I was impressed with Charbel's wagering. He has a great post on Reddit, and I intend to pick his brain regarding my upcoming audition. It's three weeks away, and I'm already getting butterflies. 

Could you post a link?  (Not sure if that's okay.)  I've never been on Reddit and don't need another rabbit hole to disappear down!

Good luck with the upcoming audition - I look forward to hearing about it.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate..

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

Could you post a link?  (Not sure if that's okay.)  I've never been on Reddit and don't need another rabbit hole to disappear down!

Good luck with the upcoming audition - I look forward to hearing about it.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate..

Just search reddit jeopardy. It's on today's post. 

Thanks for the well wishes! 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 3

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Very impressive new champ!

I just got a couple of ts's.  For FJ, I knew the pm's residence is at 10 Downing St. but couldn't think of any particular name for the residence - other than Prime Minister's Residence - so figured Downing had to be it.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

All I got tonite was despot and then Downing.

I was annoyed that Alex said the judges "were in the Christmas spirit" (or something like that) by giving the woman "Tin Pot Dictator" - which kind of implied she didn't deserve it. Which she totally did, imo. I said Potentate - which I think might have been more of a stretch, but bet they would have given it to me (based on some of the stretch judgements they've made previously)

I enjoyed Charbel and look forward to seeing more of him.

Have a wonderful holiday, everyone!

4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

FJ was teen tournament level easy.

The actual answer was relatively easy for me, but the wording of the clue tangled me up so that I only got it just before the time was up.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Brookside said:

the PM's residence is known as "Answer" Street, not just "answer".

Except, they weren't asking "where does the PM live", they were asking for the name of a person, so "answer" (the name of the person whom "answer" street is named for) is correct.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

FJ was teen tournament level easy.

I totally agree. Which gives you an insight into my brain that it came up with Sherlock Holmes' address immediately and not the PM's. And to top it off, I didn't care one bit that it went there.

My present for the day:

SaberXmas2018.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Anyone getting Jeopardy today? Please let us know if Charbel won again, or if we have a new champ. My guess: he's a repeater.

I did see today's episode. It's too early to post results here, but go to today's JeopardyFan.com

and scroll to the bottom to see who won. Be careful not to read the FJ answer (clue is at the top) if you don't want to be spoiled.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Anyone getting Jeopardy today? 

Not at its regular time.  I'm going to record several hours late night to see if it airs.

Last night I got zircon, Northern Lights, and some question about a name translated to French (Mary/Marie something, I think).

FJ=instaget.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, rubaco said:

Anyone getting Jeopardy today? Please let us know if Charbel won again, or if we have a new champ. My guess: he's a repeater.

You probably know this by now, but Charbel lost to a data scientist named Richard (who looks like a data scientist out of Central Casting). I was pretty shocked Charbel was a one and done and that he performed poorly in the first round. I guess his patron saint took Christmas Day off. I was sorry to see him go so soon. He reminded me a bit of Liev Schreiber.

From the contestant interviews, we learned that Alex hasn't been to Easter Island or Australia. I wonder if that will be a future category--Places Alex Trebek Hasn't Visited.

I got fishing and Champlain (whose name I always pronounced "Sham-PLAIN" and not "Sham-PLON".

I thought FJ was easy and was surprised Lanier missed it.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I got fishing and Champlain (whose name I always pronounced "Sham-PLAIN" and not "Sham-PLON".

Trebek pretty much pronounces every word differently than I do.

From the contestant interviews, we learned that Alex hasn't been to Easter Island or Australia. I wonder if that will be a future category--Places Alex Trebek Hasn't Visited.

Trebek even makes places he hasn't been about himself. And yeah, that category would surprise me ... NOT.

I thought FJ was easy and was surprised Lanier missed it.

But not surprised Saber didn't have a clue? Yeah, that's what I thought.

• Love 2

Congratulations to John on the win today! I liked all three contestants and would've been fine with any of them winning. 

I had One Day at a Time (which is so freaking good; if you're looking for something to watch and haven't checked it out yet you should), John Carpenter, the Tennessee DD, Francis Perkins, and FJ pretty quickly. 

• Love 8

Jon Barber is my nephew and I was thrilled to see him check an item off his bucket list by appearing on Jeporady. He's very intelligent but very down to earth. While he wasn't allowed to discuss results (tonight's episode was filmed a while back) he said he had a lot of fun and Trebek was every bit as nice as he comes across on TV.

ONE question (from me not Jon) wasn't 8 Simple Rules also an acceptable answer to the Ritter question as well as 3s Company?

• Love 11

Oh, Teebax - you beat me with the post about One Day at a Time.  Such a great show.  I am already counting down the Days (one at a time) until the new season drops in February- after you conquer your audition.  

Matt76 - glad your nephew won but no the clue referenced the British show on which it was based.  But at least his answer met the category requirement.

• Love 5

@Matt76, congrats to your nephew. He not only got a bucket-list cross off, he is now a Jeopardy champ, something very few people can claim. Watching ending credits, I thought how nice Jon looked in his grey pullover sweater, I liked it very much. Then I noticed the champ, dressed all to the nines, and the woman competitor looked great too, in her sweater and neck scarf. I seldom care what anyone wears but this was one well-dressed group of players. Huzzah!

I hope Jon goes far. He played great. (He's also nice to look at, this from the shallow end of the pool.)

As for me, I had no clue for FJ AGAIN so grabbed the name of the only island I could come up with, Lesbos. Hey, at least it's an island, that's something. There needs to be a contest prize for worse FJ Wild Stab Guess.

ETA: I thought all the interview stories today were interesting and fun. For a big change!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6