Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I will miss Erik.  I liked his smile.  And his hair.

Same here. I like people who are different and not afraid to be that way, which is why I super dug his hair. I was sad to see him go, but wonder if this reinforces my theory of Three Game Exhaustion since it seems so many good players don't get past three wins. Even an excellent player we know personally -- well, as personally as one gets via online boards -- tapped out after three.

The only redeeming thing about Erik leaving was a woman is now champ. She'd better stay around for a while.

I missed all of the Jeopardy round. I overstayed my time outside sitting in the sun, enjoying what's left of fall, hanging with the pups, the only sound a distant combine in a field. I knew Erik was going to lose (I check results before the show, I hate stress so would rather know what's coming) and should have stayed out in the peaceful back yard instead of coming inside to see Double Jeopardy and his eventual defeat.

'Bye Erik. We hardly knew ye.

I did a wild guess of Pasadena for FJ. I mean, there could be one of those in Africa, so why not? (Other than it's wrong.) Good thing I'm not eligible for the FJ Contest because I'm in strong contention for Low Score with 0/3 this week.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

And technically, Cher was in Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, not Mamma Mia. 

I believe the finish to that clue was  “..... in the sequel to this movie “

• Love 8
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

I’m really sad that no one got I Got You Babe.

Someone needs to watch Groundhog Day again.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Interestingly, the last time “African Cities” was the Final Jeopardy category (Lisa Schlitt’s first game),  Bloemfontein was also the correct response!

I remembered that answer too and got it. I keep reminding myself that Johannesburg despite being the biggest city is not one of the three South African capitals. Pretoria (execuitve) and Cape Town (legislative) are the other two besides Bloemfontein (judicial).

I liked Lisa and cheered for her, but she showed her frustration in the ToC. 

• Love 5

I had chariot, Illinois, and I Got You Babe (I remember seeing that performance on Dave's old NBC show back when Dave was the funniest person on the planet).

If I ever get on the show and the champ's first name is my name, I'll just go by my nickname "Sean Connery".  Or my other nickname "Turd Ferguson".  I haven't decided.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

Again.

I got I Got You Babe and stegosaurus. I was torn betw Will Rogers and Mark Twain, wondering if Twain was still alive in 1934. (He was not.)

I initially said Ishmael, but when that was incorrect, I immediately went with Ahab. 

I didn't get FJ. I don't even remember that being on Jeopardy before. My very wild guess was Florabunda.

I liked Alex's little joke about Hannah also being named Erik.

• Love 9

I’m a day late, but I thought Alex did do an accent for Schwarzenegger, although it was a bafflingly vampire-sounding one to me. 

Also, I see that Dutch/Afrikaans is yet another language Alex can’t pronounce correctly. It is not said like “blom” but “bloom”. 

I liked Erik and his hair but the new champ was endearingly excited about her win. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Hairik needed so many BMS tonight -- almost every name he gave, in fact. 

Totally. Dylan and Miller got eyerolls from me.

The only TS I got were I Got You Babe and Justinian. I guessed Pretoria for FJ because I had no clue about the rose hint and Oscar Pastorius' case was held there. I didn't remember Blomefontein(sp?) until they revealed the answer. Speaking of repeated clues I'm happy to see my favorite novel A Confederacy of Dunces make another appearance on the show. The writers must be fans of it too.

11 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Alex's jokes don't ever work for me but I have to give him credit for that one. He's usually so rehearsed but that felt spontaneous.

• Love 5

My local station broke into a press conference about the "suspicious packages" being sent to various & sundry a couple of minutes into DJ. It ended seconds before the end of the broadcast, so I was able to see that Hannah won by virtue of $20,200 being displayed on her podium. Good for her!

TS I got were Ahab, beautiful, I Got You Babe, Justinian, and both of Rock's missed DDs. 

13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Although I no longer do crosswords (no time) and I never pay attention to WHO writes them. 

I've only been looking for Erik because of Jeopardy. 

11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Have you seen the film "Winchester" ?  I got the DVD from Netflix solely on the basis of America's Castles.  It and Hearst Castle are on my list if I ever get out to California.

Yes! For some reason the idea of that house freaks me out. 

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I will miss Erik.  I liked his smile.  And his hair.

He has a nice smile & awesome hair, and I also like his voice. He's a nice looking young man. 

27 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

heh

20 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It was cute. Total dad joke, but very cute. 

• Love 10

who remembers any other names from Moby Dick? 

Queequeg...only because Scully named her doggy that on XF.

My best friend in college was from Kalamazoo and her dad drove Checkers; she inherited one to drive at school. Yes, they actually sold cars to actual people,

I always wanted one because they're practially indestructible, but they got lousy mileage, being so tank-like.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There's also Starbuck.  Most people associate that with Battlestar Galactica these days, I suppose (or with coffee!), but he's a Moby Dick character too!

I found FJ pretty easy.  The mention of "judicial capital" pretty much meant it had to be in South Africa--what other country has multiple capital cities?--and the mention of flowers made Bloemfontein obvious.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

There's also Starbuck.  Most people associate that with Battlestar Galactica these days, I suppose (or with coffee!), but he's a Moby Dick character too!

I found FJ pretty easy.  The mention of "judicial capital" pretty much meant it had to be in South Africa--what other country has multiple capital cities?--and the mention of flowers made Bloemfontein obvious.

I had no idea that South Africa had multiple capitals, and never heard of Bloemfontein. Even the Mister, who's the geography guy in our house, didn't get it. So I learned something new - which is part of the reason I love Jeopardy.

• Love 7

And he was on a Futurama episode!  And, its just an awesome name.   

Mark Twain, wondering if Twain was still alive in 1934. (He was not.)

The reports of his death are greatly exaggerated.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

wondering if Twain was still alive in 1934. (He was not.)

Mark Twain came and went with Halley's Comet, as he predicted.  He died in 1910, a year the comet put on a particularly good show.

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I never watched Battlestar Galactica. Were there other Moby Dick references on the show? 

The mention of "judicial capital" pretty much meant it had to be in South Africa--what other country has multiple capital cities?--and the mention of flowers made Bloemfontein obvious.

Like clanstarling, this is all news to me. I'll have to google a bit to enlighten myself further.

11 hours ago, Etta Place said:

I’m a day late, but I thought Alex did do an accent for Schwarzenegger, although it was a bafflingly vampire-sounding one to me. 

I'll have to watch again. I expected an Ah-nold accent from him, which he didn't do, but didn't notice anything else. Maybe he started, then held back, and something weird came out.

• Love 2

So glad Erik is gone.  He was too laid back and "too cool for school" - especially with his half answers - for my taste.  

And @Etta Place is right, Alex did attempt some sort of weird accent for that Schwarzenegger clue, but it definitely wasn't an Ah-nuld one.

• Love 2

As mentioned above, I think maybe Erik was suffering third game exhaustion - he made a few wrong guesses, most notably guessing robin for a bird with no orange on its breast at all.

I like Hannah, the new champ.  Also, liked Alex's joke that her name was Erik too:)

My ts's were Will Rogers, I Got You Babe and Chariots - actually two of those were Rock's missed DD's.

Instaget FJ.  I do remember the question from last year - don't remember if I got it then.  But it was obviously a city in South Africa and the description was unmistakable (to me, anyway) as Bloemfontein.

• Love 6
On 10/23/2018 at 9:53 PM, GenerationX said:

And Crossword Puzzle Creator is one of my dream jobs.

There are software packages that create crosswords. You put in the answers and voilá, the crossword is created.

22 hours ago, Driad said:

If we are doing Jeopardy! tourism, there is a restaurant called Grendel's Den near Harvard.

Where baked whole human arms and legs are on the menu!

I missed the first round and the interviews. Would someone share Trebek's story of Hannah being Erik, please? I could use a laugh today.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I missed the first round and the interviews. Would someone share Trebek's story of Hannah being Erik, please? I could use a laugh today.

After introductions and Alex came on stage, he explained that contestants are chosen randomly from the pool so sometimes contestants with the same name are in one game. To make it less confusing, new Eric (or Erik) used his nickkname, Rock.  Alex then said that Hannah's name was also Eric but she agreed to use her nickname, Hannah. It was pretty amusing, coming from Alex:)

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

1905 was the year Einstein published a series of articles on different topics, one being the first to lay out his special theory of relativity, and another getting him his eventual Nobel Prize.

I wouldn't have known that if my life had depended on it.  Science, and physics especially - not good categories for me.

• Love 1

My exact thought. We must be twins with different mothers.

I had no clue for FJ, but knew about Will Rogers, who appears in one of my books. He was so much FUN to research. I wish he was around today!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, illdoc said:

Re FJ: Do I get points for saying "Ooh! There was a question about a South Africa capital that had to do with flowers as a (FJ?) question a year or two ago. The answer is that (not that I remember what that was)"? No? Darn. But at least Eric is gone. I think the new champ will be a one-and-done, however.

I only know it because it was one of the locations for the World Cup in 2010.

18 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I completely blanked on FJ, but I nailed the Byzantium category! As soon as I saw “Nico riots,” I was yelling “Chariots!” at the screen. I ended up getting Ross Ice Shelf, Will Rogers, I Got You, Babe, Chariot races, Justinian, and my home state of Illinois.

I didn't get Illinois (like the contestant, I also said plesiosaur), but I got the rest.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I might remember that if I drank coffee.  :)

I know it from Battlestar Galactica.  (The original only, please.)  I said Ishmael, but when that was wrong, the obvious answer was Ahab.

5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Bolivia has two: La Paz and Sucre, and so does the Netherlands: Amsterdam and Den Haag.  Actually, as of 2017, there were 15!  I had no idea until I googled.

37 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks @Trey for the Hannah joke. Yes, it was a pretty good one. But I thought players with the same name couldn't be on the same episode. I'm sure I saw that somewhere, from former contestants.

The contestants (other than the champ) are chosen randomly for each game.  When I was on the show in 2008, it was done with index cards upside down on a table.

Edited by proserpina65
Because I was on the show in 2008, not 2018.
  • Love 3

Can you spot yourself in the movie? And your car?

Not if you blink, LOL.

I was in the dance-off scene and a spectator during the mechanical bull riding contest (which they shot over and over and over again). But the only time I can actually see myself is in the last scene, crossing Gilley's parking lot. Mostly, I played poker while waiting to be called.

Long story short (I hope). I was the editor of a local Clear Lake City (Texas) newspaper and was interviewing an elderly lady who ran a catering service with her drop-dead gorgeous daughter. All the other (all-male) reporters buzzed around the daughter. I felt sorry for Mom. Who said, "I know something that might interest you. They are shooting the John Travolta Urban Cowboy wedding scene in my church. I can arrange an interview with Mr. Travolta if you like."

I liked.

I met the lady at her church. She sent me to the trailers out back, where I was captured by Security. Lady (and Minister) explained and I was told they'd call me and set up a time for an interview. A woman called that night and said, "I hear you want to be an extra." I said, "Rats, they gave my number to the wrong...how much does it pay?"

And that's how I came to work for Paramount. Following Urban Cowboy, I traveled to Austin for Honeysuckle Rose. Never met Willie Nelson (or, as Erik would say, "Nelson"), but Amy Irving was a sweetheart.

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Bolivia has two: La Paz and Sucre, and so does the Netherlands: Amsterdam and Den Haag.  Actually, as of 2017, there were 15!  I had no idea until I googled.

Interesting.  I admit I didn't know that.

15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I knew Queequeg from a long since forgotten Dennis Miller joke that I probably didn't understand at the time (and - let's be honest - probably still wouldn't, because...Dennis Miller).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I just listened to Alex read that Schwartzenegger clue again, and I hear no accent at all.

He gave an accent when he revealed Arnold. I was shocked he didn’t do it during the clue!

• Love 2

To borrow from The Amazing Race forum -- READ THE DAMN CLUE!  Ahem.  Instaget FJ for me, since I am a birder.  I would have been embarrassed had I missed that one.

I am sad that Jill lost.  I preferred her to the new champ as she is capable of speaking with an inside voice.  And started at the tops of the categories.  For that matter, I'm sad that Hannah lost.

TS I got included Picardy, rays, and veterinarian. 

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

To borrow from The Amazing Race forum -- READ THE DAMN CLUE!  Ahem. 

Seriously!

It's a good thing I'm a baseball fan, because that's the only way I got FJ.

Ocean and veterinarian were my only gets tonight.

I was rooting for Jill tonight, but I'm still grateful to Hannah for getting rid of Erik.

• Love 4

Another champion named Dhruv. I like that name. It must translate to "brainiac." I liked Trebek asking Dhruv about his last name. That's a first. Me liking Trebek is also a first.

Shout out to Toothbrush for the TS of muffuletta. Ya'll gotta get one next time you are in NOLA. They be delicious. I not only got that TS, I got a muffuletta last time I was there. That's a win-win for me.

I also got ocean (the moon ts), ways & means (DD stumper) and veterinarian. Google "spay tools" and prepare to be grossed.

Finally, a FJ in one of my categories since I like birds. I easily got it, including the "Baltimore" part since I know there are eight kinds of orioles in North America while there are more than 30 south of the border. Interestingly, the orioles in the United States are in the blackbird family, along with red-wing blackbirds and grackles.

Lesson over.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8

I only got Ways and Means. I even forgot the category was "Way" and I still guessed correctly!

I forgot the 2-word party of FJ and said just oriole. Oh well.

Can someone explain what the apparent reference is in the category titles "Hey Joe," "Where you going?" With that lunch in your hand"?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Another champion named Dhruv. I like that name. It must translate to "brainiac." I liked Trebek asking Dhruv about his last name.

I liked learning that, too. It also pointed up the fact that folks from India tend not be too attached to their surnames, as they often aren't patronymics, the way Western names are. He said his family gave him that name because of its religious connotations, not because it was his father's name.

Not a good night for me. I didn't get many TS's, other than Picardy and totally blanked on FJ.

• Love 4
On 2018-10-23 at 9:44 PM, Sharpie66 said:

FYI, I haaaate stupid answers categories.

I went away for a mini vacation, and am just catching up to all the Jeopardy on my DVR now. The most important thing I have to comment on: @Sharpie66 ME TOO. I've said it before, and I will say it again every time they have that category. They aren't funny!

On 2018-10-24 at 9:44 PM, M. Darcy said:

I’m really sad that no one got I Got You Babe. 

I was shocked that no one got it. Especially after whatever the close-but-wrong answer was.

On 2018-10-24 at 11:53 PM, YoureSoUrban said:

Totally. Dylan and Miller got eyerolls from me.

The only TS I got were I Got You Babe and Justinian. I guessed Pretoria for FJ because I had no clue about the rose hint and Oscar Pastorius' case was held there. I didn't remember Blomefontein(sp?) until they revealed the answer. Speaking of repeated clues I'm happy to see my favorite novel A Confederacy of Dunces make another appearance on the show. The writers must be fans of it too.

Alex's jokes don't ever work for me but I have to give him credit for that one. He's usually so rehearsed but that felt spontaneous.

Eric not getting a BMS for Jordan, when the answer was Michael B Jordan.... I mean, come on.

I laughed at the Eric joke too, and then was surprised. I often like Alex's jokes not because they're funny, but because my dad and uncles make those kinds of jokes. This one was actually funny!

I loved the Carly Simon-themed Halifax, Nova Scotia clue :)

Tonight, I really wanted to see the rest of the Long Movie category. I accidentally went to a 4-hour movie at a film festival last month. While it was actually really good, it would have been nice to know in advance. Lesson learned: read the description when picking a film! I'm sure it wouldn't have been an answer on Jeopardy, but now we'll never know, will we?

• Love 7

So in the interview segment, Hannah McIntyre said she was a self-published mystery author. As an avid mystery reader, I was curious about her books and tried searching for info online, but I'm guessing she must write under a different name, since Google turns up zero. I guess she missed a good chance to plug her work...! Anyone knows what name she writes under?

Mr. Author said Orioles. I said Baltimore Orioles. Hah!

Unless Mr. Author is the FJ winner tomorrow, he owes me dinner out.

Whereupon I'd get a muffuletta if I could find a restaurant that served them. And yes, okay, I lived in N'awlins, too---briefly, thank the gods, since I hate grits.

• Love 4

I didn't feel a connection to any of the 3 contestants - they were just there. Hopefully Dhruv can learn to stand up straight, and I also enjoyed Alex asking his about his last name. Poor Jill. I said oriole too, and Dr. Toothbrush reminded me that we needed 2 words. 

TS I got were muffuletta (of course!), ocean, rays, veterinarian. 

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Shout out to Toothbrush for the TS of muffuletta. Ya'll gotta get one next time you are in NOLA. They be delicious. I not only got that TS, I got a muffuletta last time I was there. That's a win-win for me.

I definitely took it as a shoutout. We are going to NOLA tomorrow, and Dr. Toothbrush & I had already decided that muffulettas were going to be on the food agenda. We took this as a validation of that decision (not that we needed it..lol)

1 hour ago, Mystery Author said:

Whereupon I'd get a muffuletta if I could find a restaurant that served them. And yes, okay, I lived in N'awlins, too---briefly, thank the gods, since I hate grits.

If there is a Jason's Deli near you, their muffulettas are the closest I have found outside of NOLA. You don't like grits??? So no shrimp & grits, grillades & grits, corn grits...yum! 

Great story about how you came to be an extra. 

• Love 5

Poor Hanna; she was always so pleasant, even when she was tanking. As I said with Hershel(sp?), I appreciate players who are not only knowledge but seem to genuinely enjoy being there.

FJ was an instaget however I did question whether there was something called a Maryland Oriole -- talk about OVERreading the clue...

I'm gonna need Dhruv!!! to chill and face the board otherwise my nerves won't be able to take him for very long.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, SHD said:

That DEPARTMENT of Ways and Means answer  is a prime example of why contestants start with a minimal amount of the answer. 

This was one of those unfortunate circumstances that sometimes happens, when a Canadian contestant will get a clue about the workings of the U.S. government.  Interesting that that wasn't Hannah's problem--she got "Ways and Means"--but that she apparently didn't notice that the clue had already given her "Committee," and so calling it a "Department" was bound to be incorrect.

I got "muffuletta," but it sounded to me like Alex pronounced it as "muffu-LOTTA," so I wondered for a moment if I had been wrong about the name of the sandwich all these years!  I've never had the nerve to try one--I'm not crazy about olives, so I don't know how I would like the olive salad.  The rest of the ingredients sound yummy.

Edited to add, in response to M. Darcy:  I remember as a kid, we had a picture book about different kinds of birds, including the Baltimore oriole.  I remember asking my father if the baseball team was named after the bird, or the bird was named after the baseball team!  He explained that the bird had probably been around first. :-)

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Oh yum on the muffuletta. I have one every time I go to NOLA, but have to split it with a friend as they are so huge. 

I said farrier instead of blacksmith. Would that have been acceptable? 

I also got Ocean, Rays, Vet, the three DD’s and FJ was an instaget. There was a Baltimore Orioles nest that I could see from my parents bedroom window as a child and I liked how it was a hanging nest versus one that was perched in a tree. 

I’m missing my espresso but a new machine is coming Saturday. 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I never watched Battlestar Galactica. Were there other Moby Dick references on the show? 

There were on X Files. Scully & her dad had a MD thing going - she called him Ahab; he called her Starbuck. When she adopted the dog whose owner had died, she named him Queequeg.

• Love 4