Type keyword(s) to search

Crisis On Infinite Earths 2019: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Their Story

Message added by MarkHB

This thread is specifically for discussion of Elseworlds, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and speculation and spoilers directly pertaining to them.  Full rules for the thread are here; please read them.  Off-topic posts may be removed.

• Start Topic

Teaser with Batwoman:

Hmm - that looks like 'regular' Cisco, not Elseworlds Cisco. Also this one makes me think that there's no Batman, only Batwoman in whatever universe/earth/reality/whatever this is.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Trini said:

Also this one makes me think that there's no Batman, only Batwoman in whatever universe/earth/reality/whatever this is.

Per the recent coverage in EW, Batman vanished c. 3 years before.  Gotham is Star City if literally everyone failed it.

• Love 1

So Lois is in the Flash part, so we could have Iris and and Lois meet - but we're not.

tumblr_ofzrmsEu4O1uwyauro4_r1_500.gif

[sorry, couldn't find the Iris-only version of this]

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
On 11/17/2018 at 8:20 AM, johntfs said:

I think I'll be happy with Tulloch's Lois - though I'll be overjoyed if she bashed somebody in the head with a frying pan.  I miss Juliet.

Just when I thought I couldn't be more out, casting Bitsie ("Juliesnooze Grimm") Tulloch pulls me away like nobody's business.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Starry said:

I took the bait when I saw the WestAllen stills. I'm happily surprised because I didn't think we'd get a scene with Iris and the real Barry.

I mean, this is technically a WestAllen scene, too:

fla509e_0113r.jpg?w=700

• Love 3

^^^ In case you have trouble reading the above TV Guide article, here's my rough summary of the key crossover spoilers from that article:

1. The previous episodes of each show (Flash, Arrow, Supergirl) will feature puzzling events that drive the action into the crossover. 

2. Starting with The Flash (Hour One), Barry wakes up in Star City where everyone thinks he's Oliver Queen, while Oliver wakes up in Central City, where everyone thinks he's Barry Allen. CP helped SA channel his peppier "inner Barry" for the opening scene. SA: "I was nervous, but if I'm going to be the Flash, I had to embrace the characteristics that make him who he is!" After the two men realize that their own teams don't believe their claims, SA: "They need to find their way to another Earth and see if someone else recognizes them as Oliver and Barry, and not vice versa." So they go to Earth-38, home of Kara/Supergirl. MB: "She's the only one who sees them as they see themselves." Helping them, however, cuts into her family time with her cousin, Clark Kent/Superman (TH), and Lois Lane (ET). TH: "It was so fun to add that portion of Clark Kent's life to the story and see another side of him." TH added that the iconic pair's "very strong" relationship gets the thumbs-up from Clark's cousin, Kara. We'll also meet legendary DC Comics entity the Monitor (LG), an alien tasked with overseeing the multiverse, who MG hints may have a hand in the Barry-Oliver anachronism. MG: "He sets in motion the events of the crossover, but I wouldn't call him directly responsible." Per MG, while the Monitor "exists beyond good and evil," the cosmic being will cause problems. He might also be involved in an Earth-changing move that brings back The Flash's JWS, but not as Barry's late father. Instead, JWS will suit up as the Barry Allen he played on CBS' original The Flash back in 1990. Then, on Arrow (Hour Two), a clue leads the heroes to Gotham City, where viewers will get their first glance at Batman's metropolis and at Kate Kane/Batwoman (RR). SA: "She gets the most epic introduction." However, the idea is to give fans just a tantalizing tease of the character (a possible spinoff is in the works). RR: "You don't get every bit of Kate and every bit of Batwoman." Batwoman has enough on her plate protecting Gotham solo (Batman has mysteriously vanished) without having to deal with the new do-gooders. RR: "Obviously she's going to help them, but it's kind of an inconvenience." While there is no overarching nemesis, there are some not-so-friendly faces. JD drops in as the mad Dr. John Deegan at Gotham's Arkham Asylum, which also houses Psycho-Pirate (BF), a DC Comics heel known to wreak havoc for the Flash. CJA (SA's wife) is showing up as Nora Fries, so it's likely we'll at least hear about her horrible hubby, Mr. Freeze. But perhaps the most mind-blowing villain is a black-clad version of Superman from a dark corner of the multiverse, set to throw down with anyone in his path. TH: "There's a lot of fighting... I mean, I fight myself, I fight everybody." Fingers crossed, this showdown culminates in the grand finale, Supergirl (Hour Three). Still, the crossover is not all biff-bang-pow. MB: "This year has been the most fun one to film... My favorite moments were with Grant and Stephen doing comedic scenes - and there are quite a few of them."

3. Per MG, who is spearheading the three-parter, this Elseworlds crossover will have long-lasting impact. MG: "This lays the groundwork for next year's crossover."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Per MG, who is spearheading the three-parter, this Elseworlds crossover will have long-lasting impact. MG: "This lays the groundwork for next year's crossover."

Aww crap. I was hoping he'd be bored and have moved away from the crossover by next year.  I really don't like the narrow focus on just the leads.  I was willing to put up with it this year but now I'm lowering my expectations already for next year as well.  

• Love 15

Kara being the only one who can see their true selves is stupid....unless its because she has x-ray vision and it does stuff. Better not be because she's from another Earth since both Star City & Central City have people from another Earth in the vicinity. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Aww crap. I was hoping he'd be bored and have moved away from the crossover by next year.  I really don't like the narrow focus on just the leads.  I was willing to put up with it this year but now I'm lowering my expectations already for next year as well.  

Since they cast the Monitor for this year’s crossover (and I believe he has an option to appear on all four shows) I think they’re setting up Crisis on Infinite Earths, or at least an Arrowverse version of it. The Flash has indicated that the Crisis is scheduled to happen in 2024, but with Nora screwing up the timeline, that could change. And a crossover like that should have a broader focus. I hope.

• Love 5

And Crisis is the type of crossover that needs to be prepped far in advance.  All the shows need notice to start setting up their individual Before and After stories since this won't be a crossover event that has little relevance once it ends.  Just the filming schedules for each show and the crossover need to be precise.  Everyone in front of, and behind, the camera need to be ready for the event.  If the event decides to portray new doppelgangers of even just a handful of characters they need to make sure that they've got costume, hair and makeup, stunt, direction, etc., ready to go.  It would be a far greater undertaking than how they currently approach the crossovers just due to the nature of the story they'd be telling. 

When they do Crisis, I personally think that crossover should be moved to the end of the season rather than fall in the middle.  Have every show wrap up whatever season long stories they've got in the second to last episode and then each show's hour of the crossover acts as the season finale.  But I don't expect them to change when it airs so I'll just hope for a well done event.

Speaking of, I love that Batwoman teaser.  I think she's going to be a lot of fun.  We're only a few weeks away, right?  I'm so ready to watch this.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, BaggythePanther said:

I think they’re setting up Crisis on Infinite Earths, or at least an Arrowverse version of it.

I just saw something about that in the last day or so......*goes to google*

Here it is....

'The Flash' Showrunner, Gustin Talk "Crisis on Infinite Earths" Plans

Going all the way back to the pilot for The Flash, the series teased Barry Allen's apparent death in "Crisis on Infinite Earths."

Asked whether he knew how and when he intended to pay off the various teases, Helbing smiled and told ComicBook.com, "Yeah. But that's all I can say."

He elaborated a tiny bit, saying, “Greg [Berlanti] really has a sort of master plan of things, and I’m really excited about how it’s going to pay off.”

For his part, series star Grant Gustin suggested -- as he has for years now -- that the plan is still to play out the crossover in 2024, so that the timeline of the episodes lines up with the events of the story. The future newspaper seen in the pilot was dated for April of 2024.

"It is really fulfilling" to see some of the Crisis stuff play out, Gustin told us. "I hope we can stick around long enough to see what's going on with that newspaper article. We'd have to make it four more seasons, five more seasons. It's cool, though. It feels like it's earned. Me and Stephen had that conversation a lot during the crossover, actually. There's a lot of even just comedic moments that we have that are funny because they're earned -- because of the history of the characters and the journey they've been on. It is one of the best parts of doing these as a series versus a film -- people have been with us. I've met kids who have gone through all of high school watching this show. To have that kind of stamp on people's lives is pretty special."

That ten-year timeline mirrors what Gustin told us at San Diego Comic Con in 2017, when he said, “We don’t really talk about on a yearly basis but it was mentioned early on and that's a goal. Obviously we’d have to go I think ten years to reach that. So there’s a possibility for sure. It’ll be fun to get there.”

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

And Crisis is the type of crossover that needs to be prepped far in advance.  All the shows need notice to start setting up their individual Before and After stories since this won't be a crossover event that has little relevance once it ends.  Just the filming schedules for each show and the crossover need to be precise.  Everyone in front of, and behind, the camera need to be ready for the event.  If the event decides to portray new doppelgangers of even just a handful of characters they need to make sure that they've got costume, hair and makeup, stunt, direction, etc., ready to go.  It would be a far greater undertaking than how they currently approach the crossovers just due to the nature of the story they'd be telling. 

Truth.  Even the 1985 Crisis on Infinite Earths took a year to set up. We actually had the Monitor and his assistant Lyla popping in and out of the different comics all through 1984 before the main yearlong event kicked off in January 1985.  And yes, this would be the mother of all crossovers that would have lasting ramifications for everyone in the Arrowverse.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

And yes, this would be the mother of all crossovers that would have lasting ramifications for everyone in the Arrowverse.

Well, somewhat lasting.  Barry Allen died in the original Crisis and who's the Flash now?  Oh, right, Barry Allen.  The only comic characters that have legitimately stayed dead are Uncle Ben and Bruce Wayne's parents (not included Elseworld/Alternate Universes, etc.).

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, johntfs said:

Well, somewhat lasting.  Barry Allen died in the original Crisis and who's the Flash now?  Oh, right, Barry Allen.  The only comic characters that have legitimately stayed dead are Uncle Ben and Bruce Wayne's parents (not included Elseworld/Alternate Universes, etc.).

He was still dead for what? 25 years? But of course no way they'd kill off Barry. 

23 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Truth.  Even the 1985 Crisis on Infinite Earths took a year to set up. We actually had the Monitor and his assistant Lyla popping in and out of the different comics all through 1984 before the main yearlong event kicked off in January 1985.  And yes, this would be the mother of all crossovers that would have lasting ramifications for everyone in the Arrowverse.

I think the biggest ramification would maybe merging Supergirls Earth but doubt they wouldn't do any changes to characters to really make it worth our wild.

• Love 1

Supergirl dies in the Crisis too, right? I’m not sure why The Flash thought it was a good idea to tease a storyline that ends with the main character dying. It’d either be a really depressing series finale or Barry would come back and negate all the previous drama.

Back to this year’s crossover: I didn’t see this until I watched a reaction video - Alex’s military outfit has the black Superman symbol on the shoulder. Not sure why Superman would need an army.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, BaggythePanther said:

Supergirl dies in the Crisis too, right? I’m not sure why The Flash thought it was a good idea to tease a storyline that ends with the main character dying. It’d either be a really depressing series finale or Barry would come back and negate all the previous drama.

Back to this year’s crossover: I didn’t see this until I watched a reaction video - Alex’s military outfit has the black Superman symbol on the shoulder. Not sure why Superman would need an army.

She does but just like with Flashpoint, they dont follow the storylines to a T, sometimes even barely to the t. 

• Love 2

Supergirl Reports to Uncle Sam? Did Conners Miss a History Lesson? Is Game Night on Shelf Too Long? And More Qs!
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Kimberly Roots, Dave Nemetz, Rebecca Iannucci and Ryan Schwartz / November 23 2018,
https://tvline.com/2018/11/23/supergirl-works-for-united-states-government-tv-questions/

15 | Would the “Elseworlds” aspect of this year’s Arrowverse crossover intrigue you more if The Flash hadn’t already done a Flashpoint storyline envisioning a rewritten reality?

Edited by tv echo

Is Stephen watching the Iron Bowl? I think I’m one of three people in Alabama who doesn’t watch that game.

9 hours ago, tv echo said:

15 | Would the “Elseworlds” aspect of this year’s Arrowverse crossover intrigue you more if The Flash hadn’t already done a Flashpoint storyline envisioning a rewritten reality?

So many people were unhappy with how lame Flashpoint was, this seems like a silly question.

5 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

Bless Stephen - he's trying really hard to get people interested in the crossover. 

I think there are plenty of people excited about the crossover (especially with Superman joining in), they just don’t post here. Personally, I’m still going to watch, I’m just not excited like I was in years past.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, BaggythePanther said:

I think there are plenty of people excited about the crossover (especially with Superman joining in), they just don’t post here. Personally, I’m still going to watch, I’m just not excited like I was in years past.

I'm sure there are - I don't think it'll do badly, he just seems to be trying extra hard with this one.

On 11/21/2018 at 10:58 PM, Starfish35 said:

Going all the way back to the pilot for The Flash, the series teased Barry Allen's apparent death in "Crisis on Infinite Earths."

Asked whether he knew how and when he intended to pay off the various teases, Helbing smiled and told ComicBook.com, "Yeah. But that's all I can say."

He elaborated a tiny bit, saying, “Greg [Berlanti] really has a sort of master plan of things, and I’m really excited about how it’s going to pay off.”

Snort.  These sort of cryptic statements always crack me up because when showrunners/producers say shit like this, inevitably when the final product hits the screen  fans can always find enough plot holes and continuity issues big enough to accommodate the speed force.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Honestly I am kind of disappointed this doesent seem like an old fashioned Elseworld story, where its just a full on AU story unattached to the main continuity. This just seems like another crisis crossover. 

I was at first but I agree with the theory above that this will somehow play a role/lay some foundation for the Crisis of Infinite Earths crossover that has to happen.  If they weren't ultimately leading up to that then I'd want a classic Elseworlds event. 

• Love 1

Danielle Panabaker's comments on the crossover:

As for the upcoming crossover -- which promos have teased features a body swap between The Flash and Arrow's titular heroes -- Panabaker said fans of The CW's impressively stacked DC Comics 'verse are in for a treat.

"It's great -- I feel like they did a really fantastic job writing the crossovers this year. You know, rather than being about, 'How many superheroes can we get in one room?' they've told a really great story [this year]. Obviously, we're introducing some exciting new characters, and I think fans are gonna love it."

Like her co-stars, Panabaker is sworn to secrecy about the details of the crossover, but she could reveal that she's shared scenes with the newest addition to the CW's DC Comics universe -- Ruby Rose's Batwoman -- and was thrilled to welcome her into the fold.

"It's fantastic [to have her here]. I think it's an excellent addition to the universe," she noted. "Obviously we have Supergirl, and that's a really great step for telling female stories. I think Batwoman is another step in that direction, but it's also gonna be different and unique. She's gonna have her own journey and her own world. I'm pretty excited about it."

https://www.etonline.com/the-flash-danielle-panabaker-talks-caitlins-reunion-with-her-dad-elseworlds-crossover-exclusive

Elseworld synopses:

The Flash
Elseworlds, Part 1

EPIC ELSEWORLDS CROSSOVER KICKS OFF TONIGHT — When Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) and Oliver Queen (guest star Stephen Amell) wake up one morning and realize they have swapped bodies with each other, the two set off to find out what disturbed the timeline to cause such a shift. However, things quickly go from bad to worse when they present their case to Team Flash and the gang doesn’t believe them. Barry and Oliver realize they need Supergirl’s (guest star Melissa Benoist) help and travel to Smallville on Earth-38 where they end up meeting Kara’s cousin, Clark Kent (guest star Tyler Hoechlin), and intrepid reporter, Lois Lane (guest star Elizabeth Tulloch). LaMonica Garrett guest stars as The Monitor.

Kevin Tancharoen directed the episode written by Eric Wallace & Sam Chalsen

(#509). Original airdate 12/9/2018.

Arrow
Elseworlds, Part 2

THE ELSEWORLDS CROSSOVER CONTINUES IN GOTHAM CITY WITH BATWOMAN (RUBY ROSE) — With Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Barry (guest star Grant Gustin) still stuck in the other’s bodies, the two get a lead on John Deegan (guest star Jeremy Davies) and head to Gotham City with Supergirl (guest star Melissa Benoist) to figure out why their reality has changed. While there, they meet the mysterious Kate Kane (guest star Ruby Rose) who provides them with information that leads the group to Arkham Asylum.

James Bamford directed the episode with teleplay by Marc Guggenheim and story by Caroline Dries

(#709). Original airdate 12/10/2018.

Supergirl
Elseworlds, Part 3

THE BATTLE CONCLUDES — Supergirl (Melissa Benoist), The Flash (guest star Grant Gustin), Green Arrow (guest star Stephen Amell) and Superman (guest star Tyler Hoechlin) engage in the battle of their lives.

Jesse Warn directed the episode with story by Marc Guggenheim and teleplay by Derek Simon & Robert Rovner

(#409). Original airdate 12/11/2018.

2 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

Since Trini beat me to the synopses, there are some official photos here.....

Don't feel bad; I've just been really anxious about the credits for this thing. :)

Speaking of - while I've been disappointed that Helbing isn't on the Flash episode, it's encouraging that Guggenheim is not.

I'm still unclear about which earth all this takes place in; but it looks like most of the action is on Earth-1?

• Love 1

But of all the ways to ensure the supporting cast aren't that involved though. It's so dumb. These people have witnessed a half man/half shark, a talking gorilla, time travel, Killer Frost and whatever she does, Barry running super fast, aliens and many more random things but they don't believe a body switch? MG really is the worst. 😂

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 11