Type keyword(s) to search

Crisis On Infinite Earths 2019: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Their Story

Message added by MarkHB

This thread is specifically for discussion of Elseworlds, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and speculation and spoilers directly pertaining to them.  Full rules for the thread are here; please read them.  Off-topic posts may be removed.

• Start Topic

I'd still be surprised if a BR version of Superman actually made it to screen. He was great in the crossover but that's not a surprise, his Superman wasn't ever the problem with that movie and they knew that when they planned it as basically a parting gift for him. I'd personally have more Ray but sigh. 

I'm surprised OC doesn't know if he's coming back yet. Assuming he's not lying. I didn't expecting him to board the Waverider immediately but I'm surprised they haven't talked to him about S6 yet. I suppose he could be meant to be a crossover only character like The Ray but Russell Tovey knew that (and about the Ray animated version) when they signed him.  

I think if it's a deliberate choice to show death can be rushed, chaotic and exhausting even for main characters that's one thing. If it looks rubbish because the schedules are insane and the actors aren't even in the scene with each other it's a different matter. 

• Love 2

OC auditioned for a character named "Steve Wagner" (for the COIE crossover), but he guessed that the role was actually for Ryan Choi...

‘Arrow’: Osric Chau Finally Got To Play His Own Age As Ryan Choi! | MEAWW
MEAWW   Jan. 15, 2020

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

What to take away from Crisis On Infinite Earths’ biggest Easter eggs
Sam Barsanti    Jan. 21, 2020
https://tv.avclub.com/what-to-take-away-from-crisis-on-infinite-earths-bigge-1841097672 

Crisis On Infinite Earths introduced Ryan Choi, a character known to comic readers as the guy who succeeds Ray Palmer as the new Atom. That in itself isn’t an Easter egg, but the character generated a few of them. For starters, he has a daughter named Simone in his CW appearance, which is presumably a nod to the character’s co-creator, Gail Simone. Also, when discussing the plan to use Ray Palmer’s Atom tech to shrink the Anti-Monitor into irrelevance, Choi suggests that they call this extremely tiny plane of reality the “Microverse.” Ray likes the name, but he says they might run into some copyright issues—because “the Microverse” was the original name of the place Marvel’s Ant-Man goes to when he becomes impossibly small, as seen in the Ant-Man movies. But wait! It goes deeper than that: Marvel’s Microverse was largely defined in a tie-in comic with the Micronauts toy line, but Marvel doesn’t have the Micronauts license anymore, so when it came time to make the Ant-Man movies Marvel renamed it “the Quantum Realm.” So yeah, there might be some copyright issues.
Less an Easter egg than a shockingly big cameo, this one nonetheless has some stuff that needs to be unpacked. After running into the Speed Force (basically another plane of reality that can be accessed by really fast people) to try and find his friends, Grant Gustin’s Barry Allen from The Flash bumps into… Ezra Miller’s Barry Allen, from Justice League and that Flash movie that’s never going to happen. The implication seems to be that the DC movies exist somewhere in The CW’s multiverse, but this scene took place after the multiverse had been destroyed. That means our Barry and that Barry were only able to meet each other because of their connection to the Speed Force, so the DC movies must exist in a separate multiverse that is connected to the CW multiverse by the Speed Force. That’s cool, but it’s not quite as huge as the extremely distant possibility of, say, seeing Ruby Rose’s Batwoman beat up Jared Leto’s Joker. We’re not saying it can’t happen, but one of them would have to get carried to the other universe by their Flash.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Having now watched the post-Crisis episodes for Batwoman, Supergirl, Black Lightning, Arrow, and Legends, complete with teasers for Flash and Stargirl... I think I’m just burnt out on superhero shows. I’ve been watching all of them So I’m up to speed when crossover time comes around, but there’s just too many now and that’s before we add in the future Superman & Lois show. The crossover wasn’t really fun for me in that more actual Arrowverse characters got shortchanged than usual. And I need to have some attempt at life outside of keeping up on 6+ shows every week. This crossover might have inspired me to drop most of the shows from required weekly viewing, which is a bummer. There’s gotta be a limit!

• Love 3
On 1/21/2020 at 12:10 PM, Featherhat said:

I'm surprised OC doesn't know if he's coming back yet. Assuming he's not lying. I didn't expecting him to board the Waverider immediately but I'm surprised they haven't talked to him about S6 yet.

I'm wondering if he will, in fact, come to Legends where, much like Brandon, he also won't get to play the Atom (at least not often).

I always assumed Ryan Choi would be the Atom next season after Ray was gone. 

Was it explained how Earth 2 Laurel was the one that survived post Crisis?   It makes about as much sense as Nash being the version of Wells that survived. 

8 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I'm wondering if he will, in fact, come to Legends where, much like Brandon, he also won't get to play the Atom (at least not often).

Maybe he'll get a suit that's more in line with canon and less like armor.

14 hours ago, Maverick said:

Was it explained how Earth 2 Laurel was the one that survived post Crisis?   It makes about as much sense as Nash being the version of Wells that survived. 

I think MG said that this will be explained in the Arrow finale.

Finally - the cover and more details about COIE Giant #2 (second tie-in comic) have been released...

THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS Joins the Fray in CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS GIANT #2
By George Marston January 24, 2020 
https://www.newsarama.com/48759-the-green-lantern-corps-joins-the-fray-in-crisis-on-infinite-earths-giant-2.html

DC has announced the contents of February 26's Crisis On Infinite Earths Giant #2.

The 80-page giant will continue its retelling of the Crisis saga with the 24-page "Crisis on Infinite Earths Part Two" from writers Marv Wolfman and Marc Guggenheim and artists Tom Derenick, Trevor Scott, and Andy Owens. 

"The Multiverse is losing its battle against the Anti-Monitor. Felicity Smoak mounts one last effort to find a way to save Oliver Queen, and it will bring the team face to face with an entire corps of new heroes: A Green Lantern Corps!", reads the story description.
Then Wolfman and Guggenheim will team up with artists Tom Grummett and Danny Miki for the 8-page "The Council Part Two".

"Lex Luthor has been captured by a council of Luthors from across the Multiverse, and to stop them from destroying everything, he'll need to team up with people he hates: the council of Supermen."

Crisis Giant #2 will also feature a new cover from Jerry Ordway, seen here, and reprints of "A Flash of the Lightning," from Crisis on Infinite Earths #8 (1985); "Aftershock," from Crisis on Infinite Earths #11 (1986), and "Aftermath," from DC Universe: Legacies #6 (2010).

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Crisis on Infinite Earths: Osric Chau Talks Joining the Arrowverse, Ryan Choi's Future, and More
By JENNA ANDERSON - January 23, 2020 
https://comicbook.com/dc/2020/01/23/crisis-on-infinite-earths-ryan-choi-osric-chau-crossover-arrowverse-interview/

We recently got a chance to talk to Chau about his role in "Crisis", his friendship with Ryan Choi co-creator Gail Simone, and where he would love to see the character go next.
What was the audition process for "Crisis" like, given how long you spent campaigning to play Ryan? 
The character that we were all auditioning for was Steve Wagner and it was listed like "Steve Wagner, Asian-American." And I thought "That's not an Asian American name. This doesn't make sense." I started looking into it, and then I'm thinking, "This character is a superhero. There's no reason why they would say these lines and go this way." They were fake lines of dialogue, but there's no reason they would make this character go through this kind of an arc. I brought it to Eric. I'm like, "Eric, take a look at this." And he was like, "Oh my God. Dude, I think this is Ryan." I'm like, "Oh my gosh, you're right. This is Ryan. This is Ryan Choi." So going into the audition, I'm like, "This is definitely Ryan Choi."

At the audition, I just called them out on it right at the beginning. I said "Is this Ryan Choi?" and everyone flipped out. They tried to hold it in, but they were shocked. I was the first person they saw, and so I definitely shook the room up a bit. They're like, "All right. Let's just do it." And they did it. I definitely had this huge bit of confidence going in. I'm like, "I know exactly what this is, I know exactly what this character is about." I just had a feeling and sure enough, it just worked out.
Now that "Crisis" is done, what are your hopes for Ryan? Is there anything you can tease about the future of your take on the character?
I wish I knew. I can't really say. And even if I do know, I probably can't really say, because it'd be more fun if it was a surprise. But I don't know. I don't know. Even if I say I don't know, you can't trust me. We're at a weird impasse.

Personally, I love the fact that he's a human and we get to see this other perspective for once, because everyone around him is super and it's nice to get an origin story. So I would love to see that explored more.

I want Ryan to wear the Atom suit at some point. I would love for him to take on the full mantle of The Atom. We want the hero journey. I want him to earn it. So that's what I hope for, if it makes sense for the story. If it makes sense for him to hop into any of these shows. Does he have his own show? I don't know. But I hope that the powers to be are at least thinking about it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 1/22/2020 at 6:00 PM, Maverick said:

I always assumed Ryan Choi would be the Atom next season after Ray was gone. 

Supergirl had a whole slew of Doppelgangers survive who managed to "slip through the cracks" so it seems like even though they merged Earths, if you were already on E1 when it became Earth Prime you just "exist" as you originally were. Going to guess she didnt need J'onns help to remember Pre-Crisis.

There's more than what I quoted, so you may wish to read his entire interview...

LaMonica Garrett – Crisis on Infinite Earths
By starrymag | January 26, 2020
http://starrymag.com/lamonica-garrett-crisis-on-infinite-earths/

Q) How did the opportunity to be The Monitor for The CW come to you and what made you want to take on this role?
A) I have always been a comic book fan. The chance to be a part of the DC universe – I jumped at it. I had no idea of the scale of it would be this big. When I signed on last year for Elseworlds as The Monitor it was for three of four episodes. And then we found out it was going to be more and then we found out about crisis and it just kept on. It was a fun reveal like finding out more and more of what was to come and midway through the season I found out I was going to be The Anti-Monitor as well. So, I didn’t know that when I signed on. Like I said, these are fun surprises. Like with everything, it is temporary. That’s a lot of work but you can do anything for a short amount of time. This was a fun experience.
Q) When you first saw the design for the costume did you give any thoughts or guidance for adjustments?
A) No, I trusted them. They have been knocking it out of the park with everything else. And they were trying to go comic book accurate and I think they pretty much did that. When I first got the job, I flew up to Vancouver for fittings a couple of times. And when I would go there, I would put a little bit more of the suit on. And the third or fourth time going I got fully dressed and it looked amazing. It was such a difference from all of the other suits in the Arrowverse. It was like a throwback ancient suit but that is who The Monitor was. And I think that we really did it justice in the fourth episode with me talking about the suit and how the suit came to be. It protects you from coronal radiation. I didn’t like it but my wife said I had to wear it. That is pretty much how it goes anyway with husbands and wives. They run the show and you just play ball. [laughs] So it turned out very well.

Q) What was your first reaction to reading scripts for Crisis on Infinite Earths?
A) I was blown away and we got them in layers. First, we got the initial episode and then we got the second and the third and then the fourth and fifth all within two or three days of each other. And when I got the email with the scripts, I would stop whatever I was doing and just read. I would read it like a comic book. I wouldn’t read it for the shooting locations or who are my scenes with or what am I trying to get across. I would just read it like a fan going through. And then I would go back and reread to see what my responsibilities were and what is the story they were trying to get out. So, I would fanboy out reading all five of them and it turned out great. The story was amazing and they integrated all of the characters well and the cameos. A lot of the cameos that came in like Ezra Miller – that happened after the fact. So, what happened in the script there were so many things that were shot after we were filming that were put in surprises. I watch them unfold on TV like everybody else.

Q) Were you looking forward to sharing a scene with anyone in particular?
A) I looking forward to working with them all, like from all the different shows. I’ve known David Ramsey for a while. It was fun to work with him. I’ve watched David Harewood for a while and it was fun to work with him. Grant [Gustin] was great and Melissa [Benoist] and Stephen [Amell]. Brandon Routh is the OG Superman from back in the day. Jesse Rath. I’ve been fans of them for some time. Like John Cryer – I used to watch him back in the 80s from all of these movies. It’s just an amazing time. I wish I could’ve worked with Kevin Conroy. I wish I could’ve worked with Marv Wolfman for his cameo. But you can’t get them all but it was so fun to be a part of this project with so many massive names coming and how big of a scope it was for television history.

Q) What were some of your favorite scenes to shoot?
A) Probably my favorite was the “Arrow” stuff – playing young Mar Novu. It gave me a chance to explore him a little bit more. That was my first time playing The Monitor without playing with the cape and the whole costume and it shows backstory with his wife. That was fun to play. And the stuff with The Anti-Monitor was in the middle. It was in the quarry where we were filming. That was fun. It’s freezing that day and it was raining. It was miserable, but it looked great and it lent itself to the overall dawn of time. I felt like the dawn of time. When we were out there shooting it was miserable, but it looked great and that was probably the most memorable stuff. We were on another planet. It was raining for like ten to twelve hours and we were out there. We were making to do and figuring out things. But it turned out really well.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

So what's up with Oliver's body on this new Earth-Prime? They didn't answer that question in the crossover. The last we saw, he was on the waverider without a soul(??). Is it still around at all? They made a point in Part 5 to emphasize that he is DEAD, but technically he'd been brought back twice, so...? They didn't specifically explain what happened to SpectreOliver.

Edited by Trini
3 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

The Waverider from E78 that Oliver's body was on was destroyed when E1 was.  So I assume it's gone. Spectre Oliver was from purgatory, I just figured that gave him a new body with powers. 

But everyone who was on the Waverider (whatever version) came back to Earth-Prime.

Maybe he got got a new body with Spectre, but then he died again at the Dawn of Time. Where'd he go? It's not super important, but it seems like a dropped thread with it being so vague. Maybe they'll explain in the Arrow finale? But that doesn't help people who don't watch.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

LOL! I won't be watching; but I'm sure the answer will be *magic* - which is hilarious for Arrow. I'm just trying to make some sense of it as a crossover storyline. They kept reiterating Oliver is DEAD but how do the characters really know that? He's effectively gone - so as good as dead - but still.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

LOL! I won't be watching; but I'm sure the answer will be *magic* - which is hilarious for Arrow. I'm just trying to make some sense of it as a crossover storyline. They kept reiterating Oliver is DEAD but how do the characters really know that? He's effectively gone - so as good as dead - but still.

Well, at least some of the characters - Dinah, Mia, William and Not-Laurel - know he's dead dead because he has a nice statue in his honor which, of course, would never ever ever be made for a fake dead person.

Of course, they only know this 20 years in the future, so it's maybe not the solid proof of death that many of us would prefer, but, hey, statue!

Even if he's the Spectre now (which MG says he still is), that makes him an immortal zombie, so technically still dead but walking around with the powers of God. (Literally... find the Secret Origins they did for him in the 80's that basically said that the Spectre was the Incarnation of divine justice and was responsible for all the badass stuff God does in the Old Testament, like turning on the spigots for Noah's flood or killing the Egyptian firstborns.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Wait, so we might see Stephen Amell again?

My idea: reveal that the only reason Oliver became Spectre was to help birth a new reality. He would then give up the role and spend eternity with Felicity. In the aftermath, there would have to be a new vessel . . . that concept and resulting chaos was the basis for a pre-Infinite Crisis tie-in, where Eclipso (Jean Loring, Ray Palmer’s ex-wife; don’t ask) seduced the Spectre and had the Spirit of Vengeance run roughshod on the DCU.

The Crisis thread has officially come to its end. Further discussion of the crossovers should take place in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums. When it doubt, stick to the relevant episode threads. When we start getting details of the next crossover event a new thread will be created.

• Love 4