Type keyword(s) to search

Crisis On Infinite Earths 2019: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Their Story

Message added by MarkHB

This thread is specifically for discussion of Elseworlds, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and speculation and spoilers directly pertaining to them.  Full rules for the thread are here; please read them.  Off-topic posts may be removed.

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:
17 hours ago, Chaser said:

And the next promo is going to be Barry and Felicity... LOL

Will it, though? It struck me that to keep people guessing, they might actually not have the GA in this thing married to Felicity Smoak

I think the pairings will be the same; (Barry as) Green Arrow and Felicity will be married, however, I doubt they'll use that as the basis for a promo ad. They already got their "Wait, WHAT" reaction from this first one, the next will probably focus more on the actual plot, or new characters.

I'm wondering if we'll see Barry/GA and Felicity at home at all? Do they still have their loft?

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

That photoshopped picture getting dragged all over twitter and I am here for it.  LOL. 

As someone who went school to make those things, it's just painful! They could have at least took a photo of Amell in the same pose and lighting so it didn't look completely dumb.

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Interesting they chose to highlight this as their first teaser since it is probably all we'll see of Iris in the crossover.  Heh.

Yeah, this was my next comment. Again, they needed something to hook the Flash viewers. The promo dept. likes Iris, but I'm not sure about those in charge of the crossover.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Interesting they chose to highlight this as their first teaser since it is probably all we'll see of Iris in the crossover.  Heh.

It's not even our Iris. It must be a dream world version of Iris. Fake, lol.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Yeah, this was my next comment. Again, they needed something to hook the Flash viewers. The promo dept. likes Iris, but I'm not sure about those in charge of the crossover.

I'm 99.9% sure they hate her. They don't seem to be very fond of Barry either but since he's one of the leads they have to feature him. He doesn't tend to get the best material during crossovers IMO.

Is Oliver

Spoiler

still supposed to be in jail by the time of the crossover? If so, Barry may wake up in jail.

• Love 1

Does Barry’s version of the Green Arrow include hidden strength? Because there’s no way Barry would be able to block Dig. To quote Iris in the original crossover, “His muscles are as big as [Barry’s] head.” 

No no idea how I missed that the video was already posted. My bad.

Edited by BaggythePanther
Whoops, my phone is slow.
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Starry said:

It's not even our Iris. It must be a dream world version of Iris. Fake, lol.

Yeah, it kind of looks like the the whole thing starts off in an "elseworld" we might not be spending much time - if any - with our/the "real" versions of the characters. Except Barry/Oliver/Kara.

• Love 1

Teasers are teasing. Sadly, I don't think they'll take Barrlicity past its limit. Consider:

Barry: I'm the Green Arrow?!?

Diggle: You sure are, Oliver!

Felicity: (walking in) Hey, John. (getting mushy) Heeeeeeeeey, Ollie.

Barry: Um . . . hi.

Diggle: I should get going. I don't want to be around when you two do that thing.

Barry: Um . . . what thing?

Diggle: You know . . . the mindblowing lovemaking sessions that happens a few times per season. The kind that makes the FCC twitchy. The kind that makes stuff like Diaz and Not-Laurel worth wading through.

Barry: (blush) Really?

Diggle: Yeah! I mean, I don't think Barry and Iris do anything like that. I mean, they could, but I can't see Barry doing anything that would break any other woman except for Felicity. (taps Barry's shoulder) I'll leave you to it. (leaves)

Felicity: (wrapping her arms around Barry's neck) So . . . are we going to the salmon ladder?

Barry: (exhaling) Salmon ladder! Yeah! We can do that! You want me to help you work out?

Felicity: (leaning close to Barry's face) No, I remember someone promising that he would work me on the salmon ladder. (booping Barry's nose)

Barry: (to camera, barely audible) Oh, God.

Edited by Lantern7
On 14/11/2018 at 4:36 AM, BaggythePanther said:

Does Barry’s version of the Green Arrow include hidden strength? Because there’s no way Barry would be able to block Dig. To quote Iris in the original crossover, “His muscles are as big as [Barry’s] head.”

I think it does. Oliver has Barry's super speed and Barry has Oliver's strength, even though there's nothing supernatural about Oliver's abilities.

8 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

She hasn’t said anything, but I don’t think so. She was on vacation for a chunk of crossover filming. 

I could be wrong but wasn’t her chair in that video SA posted while they were filming The Flash? I’d be very surprised if she was left off the non-Arrow eps. She’s always. Even in all the crossover eps. And they’ve used Felicity to launch spinoff characters before (Barry, Ray). Granted, this one’s a woman ?

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I could be wrong but wasn’t her chair in that video SA posted while they were filming The Flash?

Are you talking about this? 

Maybe she's in the non-Arrow episodes, but she can't be in them for much. 

Edited by apinknightmare

Arrowverse stars reveal details about the Trinity-centric 'Elseworlds' crossover

Chancellor Agard     November 15, 2018

Yes, this year’s Arrowverse crossover, “Elseworlds,” will introduce Batwoman(played by Ruby Rose). Yes, it will also include other iconic DC Comics characters like Superman (Tyler Hoechlin) and Lois Lane (Elizabeth Tulloch), and John Wesley Shipp in a Flash costume. But at the end of the day, the crossover is primarily a topsy-turvy ode to the universe’s main trio: Supergirl (Melissa Benoist), the Flash (Grant Gustin), and Green Arrow (Stephen Amell).

And now we can finally reveal what the hell brings the Trinity together!

The three-night event begins with Arkham Asylum doc John Deegan (Lost’s Jeremy Davies) rewriting reality, which results in Oliver (Amell) and Barry (Gustin) swapping lives. In this new reality, Oliver Queen looks like Gustin and Barry Allen looks like Amell, and the two heroes are the only ones who know they’re in the wrong lives and have each other’s powers. This not only explains what’s going on in the recent promos, but also why the actors have swapped costumes.

“You’re not going to see me playing Oliver Queen’s mannerisms, or Stephen playing Barry’s mannerisms. It’s more being aware that for some reason we’ve switched lives and destinies. It’s more the fun of the situational comedy that we keep finding ourselves in, and less us having a complete role reversal,” Gustin tells EW. “We get to see Stephen do some of the more goofy speed stuff I have to do on a regular basis, and I get some actual combat as Green Arrow. So, we just see different colors for each of us.”

“Having superpowers is crazy! Wearing the Flash suit is crazy!” says Amell, who, like everyone else involved, sounds genuinely thrilled about the crossover’s story. “The idea is that in order to be the best version of Barry Allen, which I have to be because we face a threat, there are elements of his personality I have to embrace, and there are elements of my personality that he has to embrace.”

The swap is also one of the reasons reason “Elseworlds” is funnier than previous crossovers.

“My initial reaction in reading the scripts this year was that it would be a hoot to film. The comedy just lives in this. Even just seeing them in each other’s suits is funny; they’re literally putting themselves in each other’s shoes!” says Benoist, whose character, Kara/ Supergirl, gets pulled in because she’s the only one who can see Barry and Oliver for who they really are (the perks of being from another Earth?). “She inevitably becomes kind of a middleman because ultimately there’s conflict between the two and they start butting heads.”

Adds Supergirl co-showrunner Robert Rovner, “She’s trying to help them navigate what they’re going through and support them and kind of battle their way back to being who they’re supposed to be.” 

“The most fun aspect about really focusing on the leads is we really had a chance to tell a story about the troika that we’ve never really been able to do before,” says former Arrow consulting producer Marc Guggenheim, who oversaw the crossover. “When you have Legends of Tomorrow part of it, and all of the other secondary and supporting characters, the amount of time we had Grant and Stephen and Melissa on screen together was actually pretty minimal in other crossovers compared to this year.”

The Arrowverse bosses decided not to include Legends of Tomorrow in “Elseworlds” because last year’s Nazi-filled four-part extravaganza, “Crisis on Earth-X,” was ambitious but also extremely difficult, as they had to juggle, well, everyone. “It’s very hard on the crew, it’s very hard on the cast, and we wanted this year to just be a little easier. That’s why we focused on crossing over mainly the leads of the shows and not including a fourth hour,” says Guggenheim. “The hard thing about crossing over with Legends is, because that’s an ensemble show, you’re crossing over with the entire cast. That said, there is a Legends cameo in hour 3.”

Furthermore, whereas “Crisis” felt like a four-hour movie, “Elseworlds” returns to the episodic format of the earlier crossovers. “I think this year, it feels a lot more like individual [episodes],” says The Flash showrunner Todd Helbing. “Flash kind of feels like a Flash episode, Arrow feels like an Arrow episode, Supergirl feels like a Supergirl episode.”

In all likelihood, I'll watch, because I don't have anything better to do, but there are so many other characters in the Arrowverse that I'd rather spend time with than just these three.

• Love 3

I feel like the Legends cameo would be Beebo, but they’ve already done that this season. I wonder who (what?) it’ll be?

I like the main three and I wished there was more of them interacting in crossovers. But I don’t think you need to get rid of the supporting casts to make that happen.

I also wish Sara was in the mix with the other three leads but I guess I can see why they stay away from that.

• Love 2

The EW article about Batwoman makes it sound like they changed direction about the character. At first they describe her as not quite ready to be a hero; but now she's established and confident.

The initial press relaease:

Armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, Kate Kane soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city's criminal resurgence. But don't call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope.

And today:

While Batwoman is stoic and not nearly as affable as Flash or Supergirl, Kate Kane is the complete opposite.  “She is more fun because she’s a billionaire, she has ladies that love her. I think, for the most part crossover-wise, she’s swaggy,” says Rose. “She always knew who she was, but she’s really coming into knowing who she is in the crossover, and with Batwoman as well. It’s not the first time she’s put on the suit.”

Furthermore, Batwoman isn’t too pleased when the trinity arrives in Gotham City. “Kate does not want to deal with this. She has a whole other agenda, a whole other life that she’s trying to sort out right now, and these frigging superheroes come in and they’re a mess, and they need her help,” says Rose.

It's not a complete turnaround, but still a significant change, I think. Makes me think that unlike most of the other DCTV shows, we're not going to start with her origin story.

Edited by Trini

From the EW article:

But at the end of the day, the crossover is primarily a topsy-turvy ode to the universe’s main trio: Supergirl (Melissa Benoist), the Flash (Grant Gustin), and Green Arrow (Stephen Amell).

“The most fun aspect about really focusing on the leads is we really had a chance to tell a story about the troika that we’ve never really been able to do before,” says Arrow consulting producer Marc Guggenheim, who oversaw the crossover. “When you have Legends of Tomorrow part of it, and all of the other secondary and supporting characters, the amount of time we had Grant and Stephen and Melissa on screen together was actually pretty minimal in other crossovers compared to this year.”

So this is mainly going to be about the 3 leads? That's fine, but disappointing. But now it makes me wonder why they needed to throw in Superman, Lois, 1990 Flash, and Batwoman. Well, Batwoman is there to intro her own show, but now it seems that's only a small part of this. Also, if it's really centering on the Flash/Green Arrow/Supergirl, I'm going to need another poster with Supergirl on it.

Still no info on whether Batman exists in this universe.

Also:

Furthermore, whereas “Crisis” felt like a four-hour movie, “Elseworlds” returns to the episodic format of the earlier crossovers. “I think this year, it feels a lot more like individual [episodes],” says The Flash showrunner Todd Helbing. “Flash kind of feels like a Flash episode, Arrow feels like an Arrow episode, Supergirl feels like a Supergirl episode.”

Adds Rovner, “It’s like a three chapters of one story, but they’re all kind of unique to their own show.”

This is surprising to me because the '4-part movie' format actually  worked out well last year, and I thought they'd try and replicate it again.

• Love 2

I just realized that Oliver gets kissed by Iris in this crossover; Nazi!Oliver kissed Overgirl in last year's; and Oliver kissed Dream!Laurel in the year before that. Which non-Felicity woman will he be making out with next year?? ?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Trini said:

I just realized that Oliver gets kissed by Iris in this crossover; Nazi!Oliver kissed Overgirl in last year's; and Oliver kissed Dream!Laurel in the year before that. Which non-Felicity woman will he be making out with next year?? ?

I find this pretty stupid to be honest. The Laurel one I can understand but he doesn't have to kiss a different woman in every crossover. But I'm selfish so as long as it's not Barry doing it...

I really hate the premise of this crossover. I hate it so much.

On 11/16/2018 at 5:42 AM, Starry said:

I find this pretty stupid to be honest. The Laurel one I can understand but he doesn't have to kiss a different woman in every crossover. But I'm selfish so as long as it's not Barry doing it...

I really hate the premise of this crossover. I hate it so much.

Maybe next year, Oliver will make out with Barry.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 10

Now that would've been an interesting Elseworlds, having Oliver and Barry wake up in bed together. I would've watched that one. Lol. 

This one does not interest me. I liked the crossovers to see all the characters from the different shows interact with each other, not just the main 3. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Trini said:

Probably not Batwoman.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:52 AM, apinknightmare said:

She hasn’t said anything, but I don’t think so. She was on vacation for a chunk of crossover filming. 

EBR confirmed during an interview that she is in the crossover. I think it was either TV Guide or EW.  Two came out at the same time.  

“You’re not going to see me playing Oliver Queen’s mannerisms, or Stephen playing Barry’s mannerisms. It’s more being aware that for some reason we’ve switched lives and destinies

Well boo.  That was the one thing I was looking forward to seeing.  

See Superman and Lois Lane on the Kent Farm in new Arrowverse crossover photo
CHANCELLOR AGARD  November 16, 2018 
https://ew.com/tv/2018/11/16/superman-lois-lane-kent-farm-arrowverse-crossover-photo/

“I felt like we should’ve been eating apple pie and waving American flags. It was such Americana, and there were pickup trucks and Lois Lane had a toolbox and was working on a car,” Benoist tells EW. “That iconic relationship of Lois and Clark, [Tyler and Elizabeth] have just totally embraced it.”
“When we were talking about the story we wanted to send Clark on in the crossover, we were talking about different elements and that’s when we started talking about Lois,” says Supergirl co-showrunner Robert Rovner. “We’ve always wanted to bring Lois onto the show. She’s such a great character and we were just excited to be able to have her and she organically fits into the story we were telling in the crossover.”

Benoist promises that fans won’t be disappointed by Tulloch’s portrayal of Lois. “She is such a force to be reckoned with, and Elizabeth is perfect for it,” says Benoist. “The way they’ve written her in this world, she’s a firebolt and really sassy and awesome. I think people will really respond to her.”

Superman’s place in the story is directly related to where Supergirl‘s eighth episode of the season. “Kara is coming out of the midseason finale at a crossroads, and the journey that she’s on is kind of helped by Clark, who is returning from Argo kind of on his own journey,” says Rovner, adding that the Supergirl writers pitched using the Smallville farm because “it kind of seemed like the organic place for them to meet” given where the Kryptonians’ heads are at when the crossover begins.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

You know, everyone's right.  Bitsie really DOES bear an uncanny resemblance to Margot Kidder!

And I was only joking earlier about how Oliver's next cross-over love interest will be Barry, but I have a feeling that Stephen and Grant would both be down with it under the right circumstances.  Stephen posted a BTS pic of Barry and Oliver hugging, and captioned it with "I ship it!"  And he also shared a scene that had Barry and Oliver in jail with Supergirl -- and Oliver was sleeping with his head in Barry's lap while Supergirl paced up and down!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

And he also shared a scene that had Barry and Oliver in jail with Supergirl -- and Oliver was sleeping with his head in Barry's lap while Supergirl paced up and down!

I thought that one was a joke?

13 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I thought that one was a joke?

With Stephen?  I'd never be able to tell whether he's joking or not.  The man has more of a sense of humor than his portrayal of Oliver would lead one to believe.  And he clearly had a blast doing the crossover -- he tweeted about it pretty much non-stop during filming!

• Love 1
On 11/16/2018 at 1:59 AM, Trini said:

But now it makes me wonder why they needed to throw in Superman, Lois, 1990 Flash, and Batwoman. Well, Batwoman is there to intro her own show, but now it seems that's only a small part of this. Also, if it's really centering on the Flash/Green Arrow/Supergirl, I'm going to need another poster with Supergirl on it.

Simple, it's to help draw in new viewers (Superman and Lois, that is.  I suspect 90s Flash is more of an Easter egg).  Anyone who wants to watch the adventures of just the SuperSTARS, Team Arrow, or Kara's Komrades can watch their shows every week - at this point it'll be hard to draw in new viewers without some sort of hook besides claims of how the new season is the best one yet.  Fans who don't want to see the supporting casts sidelined can take the week off while more casual ones are likely to tune in to see what new and exciting thing is happening.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Simple, it's to help draw in new viewers (Superman and Lois, that is.  I suspect 90s Flash is more of an Easter egg).  Anyone who wants to watch the adventures of just the SuperSTARS, Team Arrow, or Kara's Komrades can watch their shows every week - at this point it'll be hard to draw in new viewers without some sort of hook besides claims of how the new season is the best one yet.  Fans who don't want to see the supporting casts sidelined can take the week off while more casual ones are likely to tune in to see what new and exciting thing is happening.

But if a new viewer watches the crossover they’ll essentially be watching a TV movie unrelated to any of the three shows. Two of the main characters aren’t even playing themselves and the characters meant to hook new viewers are guest stars that show up once a season. There’s very little in this crossover that would convince a new viewer to watch one of the shows because the crossover won’t give them an idea of what each show is about.

I’m assuming this is geared more towards comic book viewers who’ll enjoy the Easter Eggs, fans of the Big 3 and fans of alternate reality stories.

• Love 3

Just checking to see if I'm caught up. Barry is living Oliver's life. Oliver is living Bary's life. Alex has imprisoned Kara in what looks like one of STAR Labs' [toilet-free] pods. And somehow, we'll be getting a Batwoman. Am I close?

• Love 2
On 11/18/2018 at 2:56 PM, BaggythePanther said:

But if a new viewer watches the crossover they’ll essentially be watching a TV movie unrelated to any of the three shows. Two of the main characters aren’t even playing themselves and the characters meant to hook new viewers are guest stars that show up once a season. There’s very little in this crossover that would convince a new viewer to watch one of the shows because the crossover won’t give them an idea of what each show is about.

I’m assuming this is geared more towards comic book viewers who’ll enjoy the Easter Eggs, fans of the Big 3 and fans of alternate reality stories.

If someone doesn't like Kara/Barry/Oliver then there's no point in watching their individual shows unless they've got nothing better to do than hate watch a show.  On the other hand, it's possible to like them, have various feelings of dislike towards some of the supporting cast, and still be a regular viewer because overall it works out to be a net positive.  

Speaking of Kara, it looks like she's on the black suited Superman's world.  Alex's vest has the S-symbol on it so Supes is around.

• Love 1