Type keyword(s) to search

90DF Live Chat: Rice-A-Roni & Google Translate

Drogo
Message added by Meredith Quill

Don't post social media info/spoilers in the live chat.

This is the LIVE CHAT topic for ALL 90DF shows. Posting should only occur in this topic during the FIRST live airing of the episode.  See here for more details.

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, lucy711 said:

Pole may also be upset because they don't have much money.  I get that.

However bad Pole’s money problems are, I am sure Katine’s family has way bigger financial problems.

If Pole is so concerned about $$, he could get a job teaching English. Those schools will hire anybody… Trust me. Any native speaker with a pulse qualifies.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Chickabiddy said:

If Pole is so concerned about $$, he could get a job teaching English. Those schools will hire anybody… Trust me. Any native speaker with a pulse qualifies.

He's on a visitor's visa. He can't work while on one.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Neurochick said:

Maybe her family should have asked.  I’d never eat someone’s food without asking, family or not.

Yes.  I am super close to my dad and at his house once a week, but I've never gone in his fridge or pantry without asking.  I think it's rude.

• Love 3
Just now, MegD said:

Yes.  That and I get the impression that he isn't in Brazil for that long, so he might not even be there long enough to teach for a semester.  I can completely see him running out of $$ since he is paying for plane tickets, the apartment, food, etc.  Now...Karine could theoretically get a job.  I wonder if she did anything before meeting Paul.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I think it was fucking rude to eat someone’s food without asking.  I mean, what are they, animals?

I think Kreeny and her brothers are the mindset of mi casa... etc.  Especially since in their minds Kreeny bagged herself a "rich" American.

Seriously.  If he had an issue with them eating the food. He should have talked to her and not used the words: stealing or thief.  I'm sure a compromise could have been reached. But this is Pole we are talking about.  Wacko Pole. 

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

However bad Pole’s money problems are, I am sure Katine’s family has way bigger financial problems.

It’s not about money, it’s about boundaries.

Still, Paul shouldn’t have called them thieves.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I think it was fucking rude to eat someone’s food without asking.  I mean, what are they, animals?

I suspect that Pole's description is different. It sounds like Kreeny invited her family to eat while they were there, and it messed up Pole's plan for the week. Plan plan plan.

• Love 4
Just now, lucy711 said:

Yes.  I am super close to my dad and at his house once a week, but I've never gone in his fridge or pantry without asking.  I think it's rude.

Huh.  You guys made me remember that even at my parents house I always ask if I can have something before I eat it. They always say “PityFree, why are you asking if you can eat that banana? Of course you can. You can eat whatever you want here”  but I always ask anyway. 

Of course the brother could have asked Karine and she probably said “yeah eat it it’s fine it’s my food too.”

• Love 9
Just now, Suzywriter said:

I suspect that Pole's description is different. It sounds like Kreeny invited her family to eat while they were there, and it messed up Pole's plan for the week. Plan plan plan.

Yes, that was my take also. Not that they rummaged around, pillaging the fridge, but that Karine offered to make them a meal, and they stayed to dinner. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, MegD said:

Puhleese....there is always casual, under the table work available. Tutoring , editing, proofing papers etc. Never underestimate the power of a native English speaker anywhere. 

And let’s be real....TLC checks are on the way. And while not huge, in Brazil they will keep a roof over their heads and food in the fridge for Karinees and her brothers...

• Love 4
1 minute ago, greekmom said:

If he had an issue with them eating the food. He should have talked to her and not used the words: stealing or thief.  I'm sure a compromise could have been reached. But this is Pole we are talking about.  Wacko Pole.

I suspect this may be a problem with using a translator app as well.

Darcy really needs to lay off the fillers. She's got serious duck lips going on. It's not cute.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

It’s not about money, it’s about boundaries.

Still, Paul shouldn’t have called them thieves.

If boundaries mean you can’t feed your wife’s family on one occasion, you got no business being married. You need to take your toys and your food and go home...

This is especially true in high context culture that we are family and family relationships and personal relationships are especially important to daily life.

And WTF Karine is supposed to ask Pole permission to entertain and feed her family on one occasion? He did not say this is happening every week. 

As an adult visiting your parents house, you should ask oermission to eat the food. It’s not your household anymore. However, Pole and Karine, by virtue of being married, are supposed to be equal members of a shared household. 

Edited by Chickabiddy
  • Love 7