Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

@Toaster Strudel, your reviews have become the highlight of my week(after the show of course). I'm laughing so hard my eyes filled with tears and my vision got blurry. 

I usually have snark vomit after watching this show, but I was actually speechless and dumbfounded by all of them tonight. 

Someone needs to give Darcey and Jesse each a rubber chicken and let them smack each other silly. 

Angela.....all I can think of is that Danielle seems like a sane and classy person in comparison. I can only imagine what the film crew was thinking the whole time. Production, if course, was thinking "ka-ching $$$$".Angela is Jerry Springer meets 90DF.

• Love 14

I think I wore that same shirt that Tarik was wearing when I was in 5th grade, over a white t-shirt, circa 1994.

36 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I’m sure in XXXimena’s line of work, she’s been called various names by mistake and probably couldn’t care less, as long the money is on the nightstand. 

Really?  I didn't get that vibe from her at all.  Melissa, yes, but not Ximena.

• Love 16

Couple of things about this episode.  When Angela was arguing about her shirt with Michael in the hotel she mentioned that he had told her that she needed to be more covered up in Nigeria.  She insisted he only told her she needed to cover her legs and wasn't really letting him get a word in edgewise.  He was clearly trying to remind her of something he said.  I think he told her that she needed to be more modest in general and DID mention the cleavage.  She simply chose to not hear it.  Otherwise, why was she at least making an attempt to cover up a little more when she went to meet mom?  And the pinkish top with the lace that she wears in her THs is certainly more covered than many of her other tops.  She was just pissed Michael did not want her to meet his friends wearing her "hot" outfit.

Did anyone else notice when Karine was trying on the wedding dresses she was almost cradling her stomach?  It seemed like a weird gesture and really caught my eye.  It was like she was making sure the bump wasn't obvious.

• Love 23
35 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

Did anyone else notice when Karine was trying on the wedding dresses she was almost cradling her stomach?  It seemed like a weird gesture and really caught my eye.  It was like she was making sure the bump wasn't obvious.

Yep, I noticed it too.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, PityFree said:

Oh my God every couple on the show is insane. That was a very painful episode. 

You probably don’t have your Handbasket to Hell completely fitted out yet.

It was awesome.

As in noted above Darcey mutilating the steak with the B&B dull knife...in Jesse’s defense (ugh) the steak looked an OK medium rare (I’m a rare girl) - so he likely could have handled the situation. 

Edited by Jennifersdc
Edited to add - options for cooking steak with B&B options were probably limited. I use my cast iron pan at high heat and finish in oven.
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

One of the daughters, if not both, has a crush on Jesse and was giving him the googly eyes. All three are millenials, after all!

The oldest one is definitely giving him the googly eyes.  But, it's a bugaboo of mine, her daughters are Gen Z, not millenials.  Jesse is probably too young to be a millennial too, depending on whose dates you use. The point stands, though, that they're the same generation and momma Darcey is not.  I find it hilarious that the one thing that Jesse & Darcey have in common is that they like to storm out of rooms when food is ready.  It's absolutely the weirdest eccentricity to share.

And speaking of food, Michael & Gary Busey in drag Angela driving to the wildlife preserve eating pizza was also a bit of a WTF moment.  I mean, of course, there's no reason that pizza wouldn't be something you can get in Lagos, but it isn't the first thing I'd think of when there to get for (what appeared to be) a breakfast on the go.

Rickey and those booster boots...he's turning into Costanza.  Next week he'll color them black with a sharpie!

• Love 21
4 hours ago, Kangatush said:

Karine and Pole:  I really don't like how he's now being painted as an abusive douche.  Idiot, yes, impatient with Karine and her lazy ass, yes, abusive?  I'm not willing to say yes.

Karine may have found out about Pole’s abusive past. She seems pretty Internet savvy, if she’s picking up all these men. All she’d have to do is Google Pole’s name and look at those mug shots.

There’s this one for violating a protection order:

51C7DA05-04C8-4DA9-83E4-28400EB434E4.jpeg

And these beauties...

42DFC2BA-5653-4A95-AB46-7D843526BCD4.jpeg

21B657C8-4665-4007-A93E-5757578202CB.jpeg

• Love 8

I seriously thought for a second Darcey was talking about other kids when she said they were 11 and 12.  I thought they were at least 16!! I didn't think she could make me sicker knowing she's pulling this ridiculous shit with such young kids at home.

Edited by noveltylibrary
  • Love 24

I don’t get the hate for Dean when Hazel admitted she only wants Tarik to come to the US.  Hazel is a vampire.  She marries Tarik, first she brings her son over, then her parents, then maybe other relatives and Tarik will be the fool sponsoring all of them.  All this does is take away from his daughter.  I do not see Hazel as this poor innocent woman.  Just because she’s a woman doesn’t mean she doesn’t deserve an interrogation, especially when we all know she’s disgusted by Tarik.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, Jennifersdc said:

As in noted above Darcey mutilating the steak with the B&B dull knife...in Jesse’s defense (ugh) the steak looked an OK medium rare (I’m a rare girl) - so he likely could have handled the situation. 

Yeah, cooking steak in a glorified hotel room was the real root of this problem.  

Whatever you do at home to cook steak, people, you probably wouldn’t have hung out there all day (seriously, cooking and eating dinner was their whole plan for the day - CT only has one goat and when you’ve seen that you’re good?) without noticing that the stove was electric, there’s no functioning bbq, and that they have eight butter knives for your convenience.  After all that, and BestMamaEvir Darcey mentioning that her girls like chicken strips, of course in the end they realized “steak for dinner” was the best plan.  Because steak is the luxest of all meals, and Darcy is all about appearance-of-lux.  

• Love 7

What in the hell does Michael see in Angela?  He  couldn't just find a nice local girl who would respect him?

8 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I don’t get the hate for Dean when Hazel admitted she only wants Tarik to come to the US.  Hazel is a vampire.  She marries Tarik, first she brings her son over, then her parents, then maybe other relatives and Tarik will be the fool sponsoring all of them.  All this does is take away from his daughter.  I do not see Hazel as this poor innocent woman.  Just because she’s a woman doesn’t mean she doesn’t deserve an interrogation, especially when we all know she’s disgusted by Tarik.

Because he was an ahole about it, and his true colors showed they way he stormed out.  He's scary.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Major Bigtime said:

Karine may have found out about Pole’s abusive past. She seems pretty Internet savvy, if she’s picking up all these men. All she’d have to do is Google Pole’s name and look at those mug shots.

There’s this one for violating a protection order:

51C7DA05-04C8-4DA9-83E4-28400EB434E4.jpeg

And these beauties...

42DFC2BA-5653-4A95-AB46-7D843526BCD4.jpeg

21B657C8-4665-4007-A93E-5757578202CB.jpeg

Yeah, his arson stuff.  And he said the protection order violation was one text message.  Protection orders don't have to mean you're actually a bad person, they're easy to get.  And I never said he was a prince, with the arson and whatnot, but that's not being abusive.

8 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

She definitely deserves an interrogation.  My issue is that he chose to go after her for the totally wrong thing.  It's not about her parenting skills, it's about her desperation to get out of the Philippines, whatever the cost.

1 minute ago, noveltylibrary said:

What in the hell does Michael see in Angela?  He  couldn't just find a nice local girl who would respect him?

A local girl isn't a ticket to the US.

• Love 12

Okay I finally watched the confrontation scene with Hazel. (My husband was watching zombies on AMC while I was reading about it here.) 

I think Tarik's brother doesn't understand the cultural differences. In Hazel's culture, you just don't ask a virtual stranger "straight-up questions." You just don't pry into somebody's life that way. Hazel didn't answer the questions about her son because she was sketchy. She was simply unaccustomed to the approach.

As for the clothes at her ex boyfriend's house. He probably isn't an ex. Maybe she still lives there.

But the stuff about her son was just cruel. 

Tarik's brother also doesn't understand the abject poverty of Hazel's situation.

Maybe Hazel did just give up her son because she was young and he was an inconvenience.  Or, maybe the father was a domineering bastard. We just don't know.

And Tarik's brother was rude.

I get why he's concerned. Tarik is in a screwed up situation, and he's thinking with his dick. But that's on Tarik.

6 minutes ago, noveltylibrary said:

How sad to see Kreenee's mom crying at her dress.  And not tears of joy.

In Paul's apology scene I wanted to scream at her, "He's already aware that he mistreats you. He's not sorry about it. He won't change."

• Love 6

But Hazel is a user and if Tarik isn’t careful she’ll drain him and there will be nothing left for his daughter.  Come on, Hazel is not some innocent little flower.  She’s woman enough to get on the Internet to look for an American man.  Goodness, Dean was just being honest.  I’ll say it again, Hazel is a vampire and she’s fooling many with her act.

• Love 18
9 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Dean just needs to accept the unholy alliance between Hazel and Tarik. She wants to get out of the country any way she can. He wants a smokin' hot chick who is half his age and way out of his league. Neither one of them is thinking about Tarik's autistic child. I'm wondering if they've given much thought to Hazel's son? Will he leave his father? Will his father even let him go? Will he stay in poverty in the Philippines? What will happen?

Then he better keep looking, because hazel is ugly as hell.

• Love 16
9 hours ago, Kangatush said:

A note on steak.  "juice" is retained by letting it rest.  Cutting across the grain, whether or not at an angle, makes it more tender to eat.  

I think every one knows that, except those 2 idiots.

• Love 1

That steak scene put me over the edge with Darcey, she is so annoying.  She was so determined not to show a fight in front of the kids that she had to start one.  If I had to pick a side on this ship of fools I'm TeamJesse.

ps that steak looked like shit!  way to waste a ton of money at the butcher.

pps i'm pretty sure her kids couldn't give a crap if the steak was cut on a bias.

Edited by noveltylibrary
  • Love 16
7 hours ago, TheRedQueen said:

bag of rose petals straight from a Harlequin romance novel. Btw I’ve never seen a bag of rose petals for sale. EVER. 

Maybe he took back the roses he bought for Melissa. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Kangatush said:

I have never been to Africa, but this show makes me believe it makes your shoulders really hot.

How dumb is she to talk about the hot weather to the locals?  ?

10 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

That steak WAS badly cooked. Just sayin

and sliced! was she using a butter knife??  oh but she worked in a restaurant she knows how to do it ?

Edited by noveltylibrary
  • Love 3

On a side note, I feel like I need subtitles when Angela speaks. 

My heart broke for hazel when dean questioned why her son doesnt live with her and made insinuations against her. Even though she is clearly just a run of the mill opportunistic seeker. 

• Love 4

Looking so forward to everyone’s thoughts...

Jon continues to give me a complete psycho vibe every time I see him. If he is unable to get a visa to come here, what are their plans? She has another child at home. Jon’s been in 50 or 60 fights. Mike Tyson had 58 fights. Rachel is crazy to trust him. All they need is one night in a bar and for Jon to think someone is looking at Rachel in a way that is “disrespectful” to him.

Paul and Karine are getting more unwashed and gross by the week. Paul is lucky that Karine’s family did not beat his ass when she told them he’s not nice to her when her parents are not around. I didn’t get a feeling that he’s mean to her. I think she’s secretive and doing stuff behind his back and he knows that. His answer is to “forbid” her from being “social” online but she lives on her phone and spends her days lounging in bed chatting up whomever while he does the dishes and puts her toys away. Bleh.

Ricky is irritating to me. He tries to come across as a puppy dog/good catch that has just had unfortunate luck with women, but I’m not buying it. His first message to this second choice girl was asking her for sex upon meeting? A hopeless romantic? How about a pig? He made it sound like he went to Colombia to meet her when hat’s not the case at all. He’s full of shit. Once the new gal arrived at his hotel, I FF’d through. No interest in this fool and I’m sad that he had a backup plan that will keep him on the show.

I get that smoking is not healthy but if Angela wants to smoke, that is up to her. If Michael does not like the smell of smoke or whatever, that is fine. It means they are not a match and should part ways. Same with Jesse and Darcey. If he wants a woman that does not drink, then don’t date one. Don’t get involved in a relationship and expect to dictate what the other person does. Looks like Angela did not bring a single appropriate shirt with her. I would have been TERRIFIED on that shaky walk. Ha. Angela does not want to work on their relationship, she wants to tell Michael what to do. Telling him “You make me snap and need to stop doing whatever it is that makes me snap,” is something an abuser would say. Michael has to make her happy so he doesn’t ruin his ticket to America. Angela should take her layaway ring and go home.

Watching Darcey and Jesse turn every single conversation into an argument is getting tiring. I just don’t understand why anyone would put up with this bullshit. They can’t even make a shopping list? Darcey’s “We have a lot of issues to work through,” was laughable. Issues? What exactly are the positives in the relationship? Oy, she wants him to be “into” shopping for dinner ingredients? Lord. The dinner making was a riot. Let’s have the kids watch us nearly kill each other while cooking steak and Rice a Roni. Madness indeed. The rice looked like it was brown in one picture but when finished in the pan looked like white rice.  There were some priceless looks on the faces of Darcey's kids during that fun, family bonding moment.

Tarik and his backward baseball cap needs to go away. I don’t think Hazel is attractive at all. I thought the brother was kind of mean to Hazel with regard to her son. She as no money. She’s dirt poor. I don’t know that I would judge her on that. I agree that something isn’t right with the relationship and I usually FF through their segments but I seem to recall people posting here that Hazel is very upfront that she is looking for a meal ticket.

• Love 11
48 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

But Hazel is a user and if Tarik isn’t careful she’ll drain him and there will be nothing left for his daughter.  Come on, Hazel is not some innocent little flower.  She’s woman enough to get on the Internet to look for an American man.  Goodness, Dean was just being honest.  I’ll say it again, Hazel is a vampire and she’s fooling many with her act.

That's true. The only reason she cried was because she was frustrated. Tarik's brother was an obstacle in her way of America and that house full of larger than 8' x 8' rooms. She doesn't care about Tarik or what either one of them really thinks as long as she gets to America. And she will probably wind up leaving her son in the Philippines; he won't be joining in on her 'better life.' Seriously, if it were a labor of love, her parents would probably already be helping her take care of him. And, we can just imagine how much compassion she will have when she's alone with Tarik's daughter. 

If she knew how to manipulate American style, she would have screamed and yelled about how much she loved her child, but again, she's accustomed to communicating very differently. Her tears will work wonders on Tarik. As for the rest of it, she can close her eyes and think of her ex. 

She'll probably dump Tarik and run off with another guy in 2 to 4 years. Serves him right.

That's probably what happened to him before.

What's tempering my judgment of Hazel is the fact that she's dirt poor and desperate. I wouldn't want to work in a factory for a pittance for the rest of my life either. Not sure who her employers are, but I'm guessing they are not Fair Trade.  She sees something better. Maybe she envisions having enough money to get her son back.

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, lucy711 said:

Maybe Karine and Paul wouldn't have communication issues if they actually spoke the same language.

Paul should have picked up some Portuguese by this point.  And if Karine intends to come to the USA, she should be studying English.

Paul is a creep and annoying, but even he doesn't deserve to be responsible for the kid that Karine is clearly baking in her oven!

From Paul's IG:  "Karine wanted a baby so I bought her a baby."  creeped out..

kareenee.jpg

10 hours ago, Kangatush said:

A note on steak.  "juice" is retained by letting it rest.  Cutting across the grain, whether or not at an angle, makes it more tender to eat.  

Don't correct her, she worked at a restaurant!

• Love 5
10 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Jon "Do you trust me." Rachel "Yes." I saw nothing but fear and doubt in her eyes.

she is a complete idiot.  this is stuff she needed to find out before she dragged her baby to meet him.  i have zero sympathy for her.

9 hours ago, hookedontv said:

All of Angela’s hootin’ and hollerin’ hurts my ears. And my eyes. 

haha hootin' and hollerin' made me think of Yosemite Sam 

https://gph.is/1m1QqEp

Edited by noveltylibrary
don't know how to embed a gif:(
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Suzywriter said:

Darcey has an eating disorder. She always starts fights and walks away from meals. That's a common technique with people who are making excuses to avoid food. 

I had eating disorders as a teen/young adult, you may be onto the something.

9 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

No one can 'make' you do something unless they say hit me and then put your hand on them to hit them.

Abusers come in many forms. Many go on about being a 'victim' and that nothing is their fault. Always someone else. Nope, someone triggered something in them, and they chose to react in the way they do. Most are very very weak and have no power. So it is a prop to get them to perceive themselves to have power.

Absolutely!!  When Angela said he "makes her" go off, I went off!

9 hours ago, JasonH said:

He said “I know steak”. You dont cook steak in a stone cold pan. She needed to cut it on a “bias”? What the fuck does that mean? An angle? Both these assholes are too much. I feel sorry for those girls.

And after it was cooked she tells him he needs to get a chargrill on it.  The idiocy never ends.

• Love 4

My 91-year-old mother,  who smoked since age 25 (coincident with my birth,  haha!), didn't have anywhere near the wrinkles of Angela.  And that's an understatement. 

And does Angela think she is NOT fat? She really does shop at Delusions 'R' Us. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, iwasish said:

Can you imagine Darcy’s reaction when her 11/12 yr old daughters are 17/18 and    strutting around in front of 30 yr old stepdad Jesse while 50 yr old Darcy sits and stews. 

Thank God we know that won't happen now.  Or will it?

8 hours ago, magemaud said:

Hazel looks like she’d rather be doing anything other than giving Tarik “some lips.”

3EFF707B-6971-419E-88C0-7A44CD22D93B.jpeg

This picture says it all. Hazel is cutthroat, and I kind of get it. She works long days at a grueling job for a pittance. She either sleeps in a 10 x 10 cell with her parents or at her ex's place. 

Gauging by her mom's imperious 'judgy face' there has probably been a fair amount of friction there. After all, their daughter has a child with another husband and clothes at a different boyfriend's house and is perusing for strange men online? I envision Hazel's mom sprinkling holy water on her in her sleep because she can't afford holy oil.

I would think a woman has to summon her inner cobra to turn herself over to a man who repulses her. That being said, Tarik's brother was nothing more than an obstacle. He didn't hurt her feelings. His hold on Tarik's brain was just something that needed to be detonated so that she could move on her way to the U.S. Her tears did that quite effectively.

Tarik, you repulse her.

She will leave you when she gets the chance.

I still like her a whole lot more than I like him.

• Love 20
8 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Jesse needs to learn a lot more about #twinflames. I have a soul connection. They are about healing and I have done a lot of work on myself - released and continue to release pain, deal with my triggers, my issues. Maybe he and Darcey just romanticize it. It's hard work. Jesse and Darcey still are very much in egoland.

When she told her sister they have ups and downs like everyone else I thought, what planet are you on?

8 hours ago, TheRedQueen said:

This show is becoming less entertaining and more heart breaking. 

Call me cold but the entertainment factor just keeps getting better!

• Love 6