Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Mongolia's Wrath

Drogo
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, MostlyContent said:

Randy's cabin and fireplace/chimney rock!   

No kidding! I’m amazed at what he has done. Dave’s shelter, OTOH, is pathetic. He’s a good archer but not a builder.

1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

Whatshisname in the underwear can continue to work outside in his skivvies from now on. :D

That’s Randy the Shelter King.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, MostlyContent said:

Randy's cabin and fireplace/chimney rock!   

Really.  When I saw the smoke rising from his OUTSIDE chimney, I was very impressed.  Brooke’s fire pit is awesome, too, but her ventilation not so much.

Again, Dave impressed w/his hunting skills.  I do think his, Britt & Jesse’s dilemma w/food (the killing of animals in Dave’s case), is drama from the editing kings.  It’s happened in the past - esp w/Dave 1.0 (S2), Mitch, and others.  

Jesse was obviously very tired from Mrs. Bullwinkle’s nocturnal activities, when he dropped that fish.  I’m not too worried abt him, yet.

I thought Britt had hit the deer, but not wounded it much.  Maybe he should’ve followed it.  The unapologetic attitude from Britt re: his flowers, was funny.

Larry - obviously playing to the camera w/the “fish dance”.   I wonder if his passing out, from the previews, is a red herring; like Brooke’s from S4.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 4
(edited)

Randy.... thank you, I could not remember his name, I guess I was too focused on other things. :D

I’m hoping Dave doesn’t go around wounding animals and then not following through. It was hard to watch that poor squirrel suffering.

Edited by cooksdelight
Can’t remember who shot what.
  • Love 3

One of the men, Dave?, has nothing but a tented tarp for a shelter.  How does he think he's going to survive sub-zero temperatures in that?

Do they have cameras permanently affixed outside somewhere or was that horrendous storm stock footage?  Obviously, none of them was out in it shooting video.

Brooke looks like she's skin and bones already.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Whatshisname in the underwear can continue to work outside in his skivvies from now on. :D

I know. Randy, YOWZAH!

11 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I’m hoping Britt doesn’t go around wounding animals and then not following through. It was hard to watch that little chipmunk suffering.

Do you mean the squirrel that Dave hit in the ass? Because Britt didn't come close to hitting that chipmunk. 

Dave is impressive with that bow. 

We saw everyone except Sam tonight. 

The difference in shelters is amazing.  They're 2 weeks in, they're as well fed as they're going to be for months, everyone should be working on a cabin, not still in a damn tarp tent.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Do you mean the squirrel that Dave hit in the ass? Because Britt didn't come close to hitting that chipmunk

Yes, sorry.... it was a red squirrel that looked black as coal to me.

• Love 2

I didn’t see the squirrel suffer. Dave said it wasn’t a clean kill but I assume he killed it quickly. 

I suspect Sam is still starving and we will see lots of him next week with a possible tap. 

When you catch your first fish in about two weeks, why not keep fishing?

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

We saw everyone except Sam tonight.

That's probably because Sam is doing his patented hunker down, don't expend energy, roll up like a burrito in the pathetic shelter, and once a day walk the ten paces necessary to check his deadfall traps for flat mice--none of which offers interesting footage for the producers to air. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, tobeannounced said:

Silly question here, but do deer normally float down rivers like that? At first I thought maybe it was injured, but it hopped out and got away from Britt okay. Maybe deer have their own version of tubing :p

I’ve seen deer swimming in lakes and from island to island in the ocean before. They are quite buoyant due to having hollow hair, apparently. 

Not sure what the plan was if he hit the deer. I don’t think a kill shot was likely. 

• Love 3

I have to search again, but pretty sure that I read that shooting large animals while swimming is not legal.  and was Britt going to swim across that fast moving frigid river to get the deer and then swim it back? that was not practical.  let it go. 

as far as other's shelters, I think Randy was living in a tent while building his shelter until he finally moved in, so jsut because I see a tent, I don't think that means they are not working on one.  I am waiting to see someone build a toilet because I can't imagine going out in -30 f.

I really enjoyed the show, I thought Dave spent far to much time talking about his hunting philosophy, think a lot of it was put on to present himself, I mean I can see not wanting to injure and animal to catch it, better to kill  first shot, but the whole I only kill to eat - eh? 

I was glad to see he kept the fur. I was wondering why people were wasting the bird feathers. I would think they would make a nice pillow. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Tighthead said:

When you catch your first fish in about two weeks, why not keep fishing?

That was my thought, too. If you catch one fish, surely you should try for more.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, holly4755 said:

I have to search again, but pretty sure that I read that shooting large animals while swimming is not legal.

In the beginning I think it was using snares in the river that was said to be illegal, although the show has pointed out additional prohibitions at various times such as the moose last night.  My thought about shooting the dear was Britt was concerned about losing arrows which is why he attached the paracord strand to one of them.  Then the deer comes and he shoots not only that arrow but several others in his failed attempt.  Now he's got 2-3 arrows on the other side of the river.

• Love 3

I'm surprised they didn't blur Randy's special equipment.

Secure your fish, people! How many times have we seen that happen.

Dear Forum Peoples, if we are ever in a survival situation that resorts to cannibalism, please do not "thank me" after you shoot, stab, or crush me with a rock.   

• Love 12

Speaking of securing fish, how hard is it to do that?  Why aren't there any nets this season?  At least throw a net over it after you catch it so it can't wiggle away!

On 7/6/2018 at 3:30 PM, holly4755 said:

as far as other's shelters, I think Randy was living in a tent while building his shelter until he finally moved in, so jsut because I see a tent, I don't think that means they are not working on one.

I thought so too, but the show hasn't exactly made that clear.  I can't even imagine how he weathered that rain storm in that flimsy tent.

I also didn't understand what Britt thought he was going to do with that deer after he shot it.  Wouldn't it either sink or continue to float away from him?    

I'm actually shocked at the lack of good judgment this season already and we're only a few days in.  In the past you could blame advanced hunger for some of that but what's their excuse after just over a week?

On 7/5/2018 at 11:07 PM, cooksdelight said:

Yes, until if and when he becomes emaciated.  Then, just no.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Britt thought he could pull the deer in with the embedded arrow and attached cord - like hauling an anchor.

Dave dispatched the squirrel with a sharp knife as soon as he caught up to it, then sat around waffling on.

I was surprised not to see Sam - I get the hunkering down is boring but I did think we would see him during the storm.

Randy tucking his manparts in while wearing a burlaplike skirt made me laugh. That water would have been cold while gathering the mud/clay. Awesome hut he has built.

Larrythefkndancer bahahahahahah

Edited by Kelda Feegle
spelling
  • Love 1

I assumed if Britt hit that dear he was going to jump in that water to get it. It would have been very hard to get it out of that moving water and possibly very dangerous. No way he would have been able to reel it in by the string tied to the arrow. If he hit it on the other side I assume he would have dressed it over there and brought it back to his camp in pieces, crossing over at a safer spot where the water is shallow and slow moving. Either way I thought we would be treated to a scene of him fighting the current and hypothermia. 

I don't understand either why people aren't ready to secure the fish they catch. Watching them struggle to get it ashore is nerve wracking. Losing one can make you spiral into a depression, especially when they start really starving.

That cabin by Randy is stellar and I want him to win just because of that. I'm not mad at the near nude scenes (thank you History for showing it and not blurring anything) and I think he will look really good for a while. He has a little bit of fat on him (not a lot), he will actually look really good in a week or so when his muscle definition shows more as he loses weight.

• Love 3

On 7/6/2018 at 1:17 AM, cooksdelight said:

Randy.... thank you, I could not remember his name, I guess I was too focused on other things. :D

I’m hoping Dave doesn’t go around wounding animals and then not following through. It was hard to watch that poor squirrel suffering.

Randy's shelter was amazing and who would have thought he had all that body? He must be a really strong and powerful guy.

• Love 4

On 7/6/2018 at 1:34 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

I know. Randy, YOWZAH!

2 hours ago, qtpye said:

Randy's shelter was amazing and who would have thought he had all that body? He must be a really strong and powerful guy.

YES to all of these!   Randy seems to be doing much better mentally then what I remember from his first season - he did the sweat lodge to decide whether he should stay I think it was.

I think Britt had a decent looking shelter?  I seem to remember seeing some stacked logs and a peaked roof.

Dave is doing well with the bow but if keeps getting emotionally upset every time he kills an animal, well, that won't be good.  I don't want to see animals suffer either but it looked like he killed the squirrel quickly with his knife.

I'm always suspicious of the editing - it's very possible Larry caught more fish and we didn't see it.  I remember Nicole saying after her first season tap that she had plenty of food, yet the editing made it look like she didn't have much. 

Bad on Jesse for dropping his fish.

I think Brooke is doing well but she looks so thin to me compared to the guys.  I hope that doesn't work against her like it did for Carleigh in her first season.

• Love 3

Wow, Dave is proving to be just as freaking irritating as he was in his first season.  If he just spends all his time being irritating, then batshit crazy, like he did in his first season, I'm not going to be impressed.  It wasn't fun viewing this first time and it's not proving to be fun viewing this time around either.

Why do shows insist on spoiling their own show?  They start out with a very dramatic storm and then cut to commercial.  Before the commercial starts, however, they show us a clip of a latter part of the episode, showing us that everyone is totally okay.  Idiots!

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I also didn't understand what Britt thought he was going to do with that deer after he shot it.  Wouldn't it either sink or continue to float away from him?

I don't think Britt was thinking at all, he was going strictly on instinct.  It's hardly a situation you could prepare for.  He was clearly startled by seeing the deer float by and he wanted to do something quickly to try to kill it rather than just wave at it.

• Love 4

I've got to admit that I'm kind of rethinking the hunting on this show.  I like the premise of trying to survive with minimal equipment and all, but a few things bother me.  

I kind of would almost prefer to see them have better weapons, just so the animals don't have to suffer because they can't get off a clean kill or whatever.  I don't know if Britt hit that deer or not, but I was afraid it was going to get injured and then run off.  It's unlikely Britt could have gotten to it unless it was a clean kill.  The birds and squirrels, similar problem.  I know some will probably not care for these comments, but those are my thoughts so I'm writing them down.

I also worry about the contestants being confronted by a large predator and not having an adequate weapon to defend themselves.  Moose are known for being very aggressive.

• Love 3

I'd be happier if he put some shoes on.  I don't understand why anyone would run around barefoot in a terrain infested by vipers.  I hope he's not the one carted off in the previews.

• Love 2
(edited)
55 minutes ago, mlp said:

I'd be happier if he put some shoes on.  I don't understand why anyone would run around barefoot in a terrain infested by vipers.  I hope he's not the one carted off in the previews.

Just the thought of those snakes in the grass gives me the willies. Poisonous snakes are dealbreakers! I wonder if they were issued snake gaiters, because that, and a sturdy walking stick, seem to be a requirement in that environment. 

Edited by peaceknit
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, rmontro said:

I've got to admit that I'm kind of rethinking the hunting on this show.  I like the premise of trying to survive with minimal equipment and all, but a few things bother me.  

I kind of would almost prefer to see them have better weapons, just so the animals don't have to suffer because they can't get off a clean kill or whatever.  I don't know if Britt hit that deer or not, but I was afraid it was going to get injured and then run off.  It's unlikely Britt could have gotten to it unless it was a clean kill.  The birds and squirrels, similar problem.  I know some will probably not care for these comments, but those are my thoughts so I'm writing them down.

I also worry about the contestants being confronted by a large predator and not having an adequate weapon to defend themselves.  Moose are known for being very aggressive.

Not sure how far away Britt was to the others but if he injured it and it ran up to another's camp site and died......well that would have been better than Gary finding the leopards kill on NA XL. My first thought was what the crap you gonna do if you hit it.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

Not sure how far away Britt was to the others but if he injured it and it ran up to another's camp site and died......well that would have been better than Gary finding the leopards kill on NA XL. My first thought was what the crap you gonna do if you hit it.

Lol, that would be crazy.  Can you imagine if someone won because one of the other contestants had shot a deer that wandered into their camp and died?  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, rmontro said:

I kind of would almost prefer to see them have better weapons, just so the animals don't have to suffer because they can't get off a clean kill or whatever.

Hunting aside, I am uncomfortable with them being put in locations with large predators when all they are equipped with for defense is bear spray and an air horn.

• Love 3

When someone shows you who they are it’s usually a good idea to believe them ~ Dave is seemingly as emotionally unbalanced as before. It’s a shame too because he does have some solid survival skills, but your wits are your best asset and his are in short supply. 

What happens to Brooke’s ventilation tunnel on her fireplace if it rains heavily? 

• Love 2

Liked the pace of this episode.

Randy and his Stout House is winning the shelter game with Britt a close second.

What is with Jesse?  One dropped fish and he's all moody...

He may not be mentally as tough as we thought if he can't adjust to the hunger and loneliness.

Brooke and her pie PSA...

Dave is the most successful at hunting but hates to do it to keep himself fed and on the show...tapping out or faking us out?

• Love 1
On 7/8/2018 at 3:51 AM, Kelda Feegle said:

I think Britt thought he could pull the deer in with the embedded arrow and attached cord - like hauling an anchor.

He originally made the para-cord leash for shooting at ducks he saw on the river everyday. And then he saw the deer floating down the stream but was shooting at it without the leash on the arrows. I did see a bunch of his clothing hanging over a clothes line after the failed shoot so maybe hd did go across to collect his 2-3 arrows.

21 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

What is with Jesse?  One dropped fish and he's all moody...

He may not be mentally as tough as we thought if he can't adjust to the hunger and loneliness.

That appeared to be the day after the night of the moose wooing. I think Jesse was not only hungry, but sleep deprived and irritated with nature. I can't imagine I'd be a ball of sunshine after lying awake listening to a moose yodel loudly for something like six hours straight.

This is the first season SimplyMom has watched Alone. To quote her, "Dave is boring."

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/11/2018 at 4:09 AM, humbleopinion said:

Randy and his Stout House is winning the shelter game with Britt a close second.

IMO, I think Jesse is second with the shelter.  His logs were huge and I was surprised that one person could carry them.  His log shelter is not as tall as Randy's is, but it's stout (as far as I can see).  

I wonder if Randy, Jesse, and Sam might have been just far enough away from the horrible storm, or perhaps they weren't hunkered down because they didn't have to hold on to tarps and pray.  lol.   Okay......not Sam.  He was probably, I don't know, ........laying underneath a tarp and snoring.  

3 hours ago, simplyme said:

I can't imagine I'd be a ball of sunshine after lying awake listening to a moose yodel loudly for something like six hours straight.

Agree.  And isn't he the only one left who has not gone through this before?  Oops, Brooke was on the 'not alone' season, also.  

I have to admit that I'm still team Jesse or Randy. 

I can't stand fuckin' Larry and his histrionics.  I also don't think Sam can do anything but howl with wolves and sleep.  Britt .....um......different guy than the first time he was on the show, so I don't know.  Brooke?  "Okay, now you're all going to think this will burn down", as she builds a 'chimney' with wood.  It burned last time, so who knows.  Dave just seems like he's acting a part to me.  Okay, he's so good with a bow ...but now he's apologizing to the animals he kills?  Now?  He's far too proficient with a bow and arrow not to have killed anything before.

I'm really looking forward to tonight's episode.  :)  

Edited by MostlyContent
  • Love 1
On 7/10/2018 at 9:40 AM, Juliegirlj said:

What happens to Brooke’s ventilation tunnel on her fireplace if it rains heavily?

I don't think it's going to rain much since this is late fall.  

The trees are turning color and I doubt that she'd last till spring. 

On 7/6/2018 at 3:30 PM, holly4755 said:

I have to search again, but pretty sure that I read that shooting large animals while swimming is not legal.

Maybe somewhere in the U.S. or Canada that might be a law, but this is being filmed in Mongolia. It's quite possible hunting laws are very different there.

I did the same early on, but I think that the hunting in Mongolia is much more relaxed than in Canada. 

i don't have a link anymore, but pretty sure you can't hunt deer swimming.  can't put gill nets in the river, although I understand gill nets in catching ducks and geese is pretty effective - apparently you stretch it horizontally, put bait underneath, band when the geese or ducks lift up their heads, they can't figure out that they just need to lower them again, basically they are trapped. have not seen gill nets used yet.  oh and no snaring deer, you are more likely to injure them than catch them.  

On 7/5/2018 at 11:52 PM, LittleIggy said:

No kidding! I’m amazed at what he has done. Dave’s shelter, OTOH, is pathetic. He’s a good archer but not a builder.

That’s Randy the Shelter King.

no, he wasted  2 weeks of prime net-fishing season and he's starved out because he was dumb enough to do so.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:16 PM, holly4755 said:

I did the same early on, but I think that the hunting in Mongolia is much more relaxed than in Canada. 

i don't have a link anymore, but pretty sure you can't hunt deer swimming.  can't put gill nets in the river, although I understand gill nets in catching ducks and geese is pretty effective - apparently you stretch it horizontally, put bait underneath, band when the geese or ducks lift up their heads, they can't figure out that they just need to lower them again, basically they are trapped. have not seen gill nets used yet.  oh and no snaring deer, you are more likely to injure them than catch them.  

not true, you can snare deer very effectively, IF you know how. Braid 4 strands of the snare wire.  make a loop  18" in diameter, suspend it horizontally about  6-7 ft in the air (depends upon the size of the deer) anchoring it to a stout tree that's even higher. Use  3 strands of monofilament line to suspend the loop. About a foot above the center of the loop, put a bait on a wire. In Mongolia, that would be some salted cambium. I'm not sure what would work best on Vancouver island. Whatever the deer there consider to be a rare delicacy. They stand on their hind legs to get it, come down with the snare around their neck and quickly strangle themselves.

On 7/12/2018 at 6:24 PM, cooksdelight said:

I just did a Google search on hunting laws in Mongolia, and it’s strict and complicated. I am now wondering if production had to jump through hoops to allow these people to hunt/kill/eat animals?

the natives, everywhere in the world, are allowed to take whatever animals they need in order to survive. So just get whatever sort of permit the locals get.

On 7/12/2018 at 5:19 AM, MostlyContent said:

I don't think it's going to rain much since this is late fall.  

The trees are turning color and I doubt that she'd last till spring. 

Ha, NONE of them are going to last a month after the first hard freeze.  They are all starving, losing at least   1/2 lb per day, just like all past particiapants have done, and for the same reason. They dont know what gear to take or what to do. They are not going to have the strength to gather the wood necessary to warm those cabins adequately and they are too ignorant to make a grass stuffed dugout shelter, which needs no fire, but you have to be able to control your mind.

Jesse and randy are both gone already, due to being dumb enough to waste  2 weeks of prime net-fishing time to make shelters that they starved out before they needed them. 

On 7/12/2018 at 5:12 AM, MostlyContent said:

IMO, I think Jesse is second with the shelter.  His logs were huge and I was surprised that one person could carry them.  His log shelter is not as tall as Randy's is, but it's stout (as far as I can see).  

I wonder if Randy, Jesse, and Sam might have been just far enough away from the horrible storm, or perhaps they weren't hunkered down because they didn't have to hold on to tarps and pray.  lol.   Okay......not Sam.  He was probably, I don't know, ........laying underneath a tarp and snoring.  

Agree.  And isn't he the only one left who has not gone through this before?  Oops, Brooke was on the 'not alone' season, also.  

I have to admit that I'm still team Jesse or Randy. 

I can't stand fuckin' Larry and his histrionics.  I also don't think Sam can do anything but howl with wolves and sleep.  Britt .....um......different guy than the first time he was on the show, so I don't know.  Brooke?  "Okay, now you're all going to think this will burn down", as she builds a 'chimney' with wood.  It burned last time, so who knows.  Dave just seems like he's acting a part to me.  Okay, he's so good with a bow ...but now he's apologizing to the animals he kills?  Now?  He's far too proficient with a bow and arrow not to have killed anything before.

I'm really looking forward to tonight's episode.  :)  

i"d be out there trying to find him and stick an arrow in his chest.  That elk's meat would easily win the contest for you.

Edited by beatu
On 7/8/2018 at 9:35 AM, jvr said:

I assumed if Britt hit that dear he was going to jump in that water to get it. It would have been very hard to get it out of that moving water and possibly very dangerous. No way he would have been able to reel it in by the string tied to the arrow. If he hit it on the other side I assume he would have dressed it over there and brought it back to his camp in pieces, crossing over at a safer spot where the water is shallow and slow moving. Either way I thought we would be treated to a scene of him fighting the current and hypothermia. 

I don't understand either why people aren't ready to secure the fish they catch. Watching them struggle to get it ashore is nerve wracking. Losing one can make you spiral into a depression, especially when they start really starving.

That cabin by Randy is stellar and I want him to win just because of that. I'm not mad at the near nude scenes (thank you History for showing it and not blurring anything) and I think he will look really good for a while. He has a little bit of fat on him (not a lot), he will actually look really good in a week or so when his muscle definition shows more as he loses weight.

britt's ignorant and irresponsible to be shooting at deer with a field tipped arrow. That would take days to kill a deer (of infection)  you have to have a SHARP cutting edged broadhead sort of arrowhead for big game, so that blood loss is maximized,  and you still need to hit the vitals and it's still going to run for  100m or so before laying down to bleed out.

On 7/6/2018 at 1:58 PM, Auntie Anxiety said:

I was wondering how he thought he’d be able to carry the deer across a cold, pretty fast moving river. Turns out it was a moot point.

why would you have to do that? you just set up temporary camp for a couple of days, eating  10 lbs of meat per day and smoking the remaining 30 lbs of meat.