Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: Auditions 2

• Start Topic

(edited)

The guys with the belly noises - I'm with Mel B, I don't get how that could be an act going forward.  

Though the girl with the animal noises was adorable - how does that translate to another act, or an act on a big stage? 

How very weird that Mel B so drastically changed her appearance, and then they aired the segments in such a haphazard order, that it seemed like she kept switching looks.    The blonde look is NOT a good one on her.  Is she turning into Nicki Minaj?  

I also didn't think the plus-sized woman was all that great. If she tried out for The Voice, she would be about average, and maybe not make it past the blind audition. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 4
(edited)
16 minutes ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

The Dad with 6 Kids who got Simon's Golden Buzzer was good, but I feel like there's more backstory.  Why did the family move to Orange County? Did anyone get the guy's name? I'd like to learn more about him. 

Michael Ketterer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/recaps/americas-got-talent-father-of-6s-incredible-voice-earns-a-standing-ovation-and-a-golden-buzzer/ar-AAyhtte?li=BBnb7Kz

ETA: 

https://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/prnewswire/press_releases/California/2018/06/06/UN17089

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 2

This was a meh bunch for me.  I enjoyed the belly noises guys but don't expect them to make it far.  I also liked the two acrobat brothers but I'm always afraid to watch these acts because I don't want to see anyone get hurt.   I figured the dad at the end would get through but I was not impressed with his wavering voice.

• Love 1

I'm having a real hard time right now remembering most of the acts from last night.  The little girl who did the animal noises was cute.  Loved that she kept giggling.  I can't see her making it all the way to the end, but I don't mind that she made it to one more round at least.  I liked the guys doing the acrobatics.  The belly noises guys were okay.  I actually thought it was kind of amazing the sounds they were making, but it's also kind of off-putting to watch them 'work.'  Not sure how much more they can do.  That 'comic' was horrible.  What was Simon thinking?  His comedy wasn't funny - it was just really awkward and nasty.  Ditto the couple comics.  God grief, that was uncomfortable.  No, just no to both of them.  We liked both the singers.  Were not as crazy about the dance troupe.

And I am annoyed that they showed a bunch of different dogs in the waiting area but we didn't see any dog acts.  Boo hiss!

• Love 6
10 hours ago, backformore said:

The guys with the belly noises - I'm with Mel B, I don't get how that could be an act going forward.  

Though the girl with the animal noises was adorable - how does that translate to another act, or an act on a big stage? 

How very weird that Mel B so drastically changed her appearance, and then they aired the segments in such a haphazard order, that it seemed like she kept switching looks.    The blonde look is NOT a good one on her.  Is she turning into Nicki Minaj?  

I also didn't think the plus-sized woman was all that great. If she tried out for The Voice, she would be about average, and maybe not make it past the blind audition. 

I agree with all of this.  Mel B looked horrific in that blonde wig.  She is a pretty woman and lately every time I see her, her hair is not good. 

• Love 3

I can't remember much if I don't write it down while I'm watching.

The first time I considered fast forwarding through an act was when watching the old couple dance. I was impressed on how well the old guy could still bend his knees. My knees went bad years ago and I can't do that. 

The last act wasn't golden buzzer worthy. I knew he was going to get the golden buzzer, However, this is why I don't like back stories, people vote with their emotions and not on talent. 

I thought that cute couple were pretty good singers. I found their song a little repetitive. I wasn't thinking "coffee house" I was thinking car commercial jingle. 

The rest was stuff that nobody would really pay much for to see and I don't see much room for expanding on their acts. I am going to say non of the acts in this audition are going to win this. The tumbling brothers might get a few shows in though, if they don't fall again and they change up the act. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I thought that cute couple were pretty good singers. I found their song a little repetitive. I wasn't thinking "coffee house" I was thinking car commercial jingle. 

I had forgotten about them, but we really liked them, and we liked the song.  Thought it was very catchy.  Our reaction to the "coffee house" comment was, "What's wrong with coffee houses?"  Yeah, it wasn't the glitzy stuff that they usually get, but honestly I'm just a bit tired of the overblown, overwrought, pop type singers.  A nice coffee-house singer would be a nice change.  :)

• Love 6
3 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Well, I, for one, really loved that big ole woman singer. She had a beautiful tone and was flawless. But that is about all I liked last night.  

Forgot about her ,...Agree she was good

• Love 2

The only act that is going to make it to the lives/past the next round are the lady in the pink that KILLED (and I mean Keana Settle level Killed) "I know where I've Been"...she had me on my feet in my own house. I wish she'd had more time to really SING the song...It's a really beautiful song and you need to hear the whole thing in order to appreciate it, but she killed the little bit she could do in 90 seconds. You have to have real range to do that song justice.

The rest ranged from downright bad to meh....'cute couple' who sang their vows was cruise ship-y/coffee house-y but not Vegas-Worthy. They won't make the cut. The comics were all cringe-worthy. I do not find negative/insulting humor funny, and that comic couple...jeeze...I had to mute it after the second joke...yoikes...who told them that was funny? Who? I wanna know so I can slap them. The old couple twerking on each other was just wrong. WHY did their daughter let them DO THAT??? It was AWFUL. NOT CUTE!!! That's something you do in private, not on a stage in front of the world.

Golden buzzer act was just okay. Everyone was applauding his STORY, not his SINGING...what an inspiration you are! So good! Eh...not Vegas-worthy, but right now I'd peg him as the front-runner/judges' pick to win until I see the rest of the acts. They never pick the best person, just the most popular (sorta like so you think you can dance - America's most POPULAR dancer, not the best).

• Love 4

I only saw the last half hour so missed most of the acts discussed here. I was unfortunate enough to catch the old couple "dancing." OMG, what's up with MelB being the only judge with taste? Doing a simulated sex act on stage is NOT my idea of dancing, nor entertainment. Or appropriate for a show that airs during family time. So gross.

The Golden Buzzer singer ... before he even sang I wanted to just say "Put him through to the next round" since I couldn't see any judge X-ing him after that back story. He was an okay singer for this show though, so that was a relief since I knew we'd be seeing him again. Although I think he needs the practice of on-going rounds, the Golden Buzzer isn't exactly his friend when he needs his nerves -- and voice -- to settle down. Now he goes straight to finals. No pressure there!

• Love 7

Hey man, I'm a fine old wine, but that older couple doing the dirty dance of love....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO --- I'm an old liberal hippy and honey that grossed me out. and and and, I'm older than the wife....what? Use some face creme honey. (just words of advice to you younger gals out there).

• Love 3

I liked the Japanese man with the ......whatever they were, discy things that he balanced on the string. I have to say however, I had totally forgotten about him and every other act by the time the show was over. That's not a good thing. The last man, as was said by the judges, seems like a lovely person, but that shouldn't be an automatic golden buzzer worthy attribute. Without the backstory, his singing would have been unmemorable. 

Could they please quit leaving the golden buzzer until the last act shown? It's trite, tedious, and devoid of any suspense.

• Love 6

Me too. That light blue strapless thing she had on last? Had the girls out and proud...all you saw was tits, and every time she spread her arms to gesticulate all I saw was her boobies...Not much material holding them things in/up.

• Love 1

Golden buzzer was not that great. I thought Simon was above sob stories. The guys making noises with their bodies was dumb but funny. Better than the watersports.

Years ago, the girl making animal noises would have gotten an appearance on Johnny Carson.

• Love 1

For the nurse singer, was I alone when she sang "There's a light..." in wanting to sing "over at the Frankenstein place..."?  She was very talented, and I think she sang better than the guy who got the golden buzzer (he wasn't bad, but his backstory was what was selling it).

Mel B's new look made the edits even more distracting.

In the pet montage, wasn't the "meow meow" cat lady on last year? Maybe she auditioned again.

I liked the Japanese man with the ......whatever they were, discy things that he balanced on the string

Those are called either a "diablo" or a "diabolo" (for "two bolos").  He was extremely good--though I wondered why he occasionally used a white screen for a nearly-white object.

The girl with the animal impressions was very good at that; I just don't know what you do to take it further (and I'm scared at what the producers might come up with.)

• Love 1

Scraping the bottom of the barrel would be my summary of this episode. I have no desire to see ANY of these acts again. The animal sounds girl was charming and the belly sound guys where amusing and acts like that should have a place on the show, but as filler and not the only remotely good thing going. 3 acts were offensively terrible this week (the two stand up comedy acts and the geriatric dancers) and I really don't quite understand why they are even showing stuff like that to us. Is it supposed to be entertaining to watch people bomb on stage? Would the general audience tune out from boredom if there weren't several acts just there to be buzzered out?

The rest was average at best, including all the singers. I didn't even get to enjoy the circus artists because I'm sorry but dropping your partner during your finale is just a no no for an audition. As for the diabolo guy, while I have a certain amount of respect for someone who is a master at diabolo, this dude was just the latest in a line of annual "______ in front of an animated screen" acts and that just serves to mask the talent rather than enhance it.

• Love 5

At least we don't have Piers as a judge anymore. He used to buzz people during the acts just to see if they would get distracted. It was rude. I think it could be dangerous for some of these acrobatic acts. He was an automatic "no" if a juggler dropped a pin or something. I was glad to see the two acrobats get back and try the stunt again. They are pretty talented, however, I don't think they will make it past the next audition if they fall again. 

As good as everyone says he is, I was bored watching the guy play with his yo yo's. Plus he was kind of washed out by all the background noise going on behind him. 

I zoned out during the one of the group acrobats. I have no idea what they did. This is not a good sign.

I thought the one lady was a really impressive singer.  Her song choice didn't do anything for me. She deserved the golden buzzer over the other guy. She was a much better singer. 

• Love 3

The scariest part of this episode was when I thought, since Simon used his golden buzzer on a guy with a barely mediocre voice, does it mean this might be one of the best acts we can expect in the upcoming audition rounds? 

• Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:38 PM, Juneau Gal said:

I liked the Japanese man with the ......whatever they were, discy things that he balanced on the string. I have to say however, I had totally forgotten about him and every other act by the time the show was over. That's not a good thing. The last man, as was said by the judges, seems like a lovely person, but that shouldn't be an automatic golden buzzer worthy attribute. Without the backstory, his singing would have been unmemorable. 

Could they please quit leaving the golden buzzer until the last act shown? It's trite, tedious, and devoid of any suspense.

I couldn't see what he was doing with all that video shit in the background-hate that multimedia crap!

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, xls said:

I couldn't see what he was doing with all that video shit in the background-hate that multimedia crap!

I start to feel dizzy just watching that on tv, so no way would I want to see that crap in person.  I'm sure I'd get a blinding headache.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, xls said:

I have to agree with you. Even though I liked him, I kept thinking it would be much more impressive to actually see him manipulate the disks without all the razzmatazz. I feel the actual skill got lost in the multimedia. Sometimes less is more. I do understand why he felt he needed to do that though after seeing the clips of the judges saying they wanted MORE, BIGGER, BETTER, etc.

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, hnygrl said:

The rest ranged from downright bad to meh....'cute couple' who sang their vows was cruise ship-y/coffee house-y but not Vegas-Worthy. They won't make the cut. The comics were all cringe-worthy. I do not find negative/insulting humor funny, and that comic couple...jeeze...I had to mute it after the second joke...yoikes...who told them that was funny? Who? I wanna know so I can slap them. The old couple twerking on each other was just wrong. WHY did their daughter let them DO THAT??? It was AWFUL. NOT CUTE!!! That's something you do in private, not on a stage in front of the world.

Golden buzzer act was just okay. Everyone was applauding his STORY, not his SINGING...what an inspiration you are! So good! Eh...not Vegas-worthy, but right now I'd peg him as the front-runner/judges' pick to win until I see the rest of the acts. They never pick the best person, just the most popular (sorta like so you think you can dance - America's most POPULAR dancer, not the best).

Agree, that the Golden Buzzer was for the back story, which is something I really don't like about this show. Way too many acts that go far on factors other than "talent." Though I am still counting my blessings that we haven't seen a little kid singer get the Golden Buzzer. In fact, no kid singers at all, but the little girl doing the animal impressions was pretty much the same thing. Her "impressions" were not very good, and even if they had been, that's grade school talent show level, not national TV or Vegas. So pretty much, if you're a cute little girl who giggles you can do anything and still get 4 yeses.

The old dancing couple also got by on "cuteness," though personally, they made me cringe.  So far we've seen quite a few acts get through who should've been one shot acts for the novelty value. Old twerking couple, little girl doing animal noises, "human fountain," belly noise guys. Even the ones that were slightly amusing I don't need to see again. I feel like AGT is  turning into The Gong Show, with goofy acts that people do for their 15 minutes of TV fame, and not because they have real talent.

Also this season, a lot of dance groups that have have felt to me like the same old same old, but the judges go nuts for them. They do bring energy to the show, I guess.

The "blind" swordsman had a good build-up but then it kind of fizzled. I expected him to do a samurai swordsman thing with the pineapple on Howie's head and rapidly cut it into multiple slices. That would've been cool.  One cut near the top of the pineapple? Eh.

The Japanese guy was over praised for the same kind of light show we've seen before, and I'm still not really sure what he did with the disk/string thing as you couldn't see it.

By far the best act of the night for me was the acrobat brothers. The speed with which the one brother was doing flips in the air was amazing. So was his landing on his brother's feet, especially as they wore what looked like slippery soled dress shows, and not sneakers or anything with traction. Very impressive.

Yes, Mel B. with a blonde wig does look like Nicki Minaj. The constant hair and wardrobe changes within each show are really distracting. Why is she even still on AGT, because to me she contributes even less than Tyra Banks. But a new drinking game could be every time she says "belly laugh." She has said it three or four times each show so far.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5
(edited)

My favorite act of the night was Yumbo Dump.  That should give you an idea of what I thought of the "talent" on this episode.

I call bullshit on the acrobat's fall.  I swear they just wanted people to think how brave they were to continue. JMO.  Or maybe I'm just jaded with these shows.

I also call bullshit on Simon's comments about weight and singers.  I seem to recall many horrid comments he made about female singers and weight when he was on American Idol.  I love Simon, but no, just no.

I can't wait for Howie to tell us, "This is the most talented season, EVER!"

Edited by lb60
  • Love 8

I think I may have also questioned Simon's statement about appearance. It seems to me, on American Idol, you had to be a package, not just a voice. Video killed the radio star and all that sort of thinking. The winner had to be something they could sell visually.  The vocals they could fix in editing. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, lb60 said:

I call bullshit on the acrobat's fall.  I swear they just wanted people to think how brave they were to continue. JMO.  Or maybe I'm just jaded with these shows.

Thank you! I thought the same thing. I remember going to a small circus with my father when I was a kid. The tight-rope walker fell off, and they made a big deal about him getting back on and trying it again. He succeeded, of course. I was telling my friends about it Monday at school, and one of them had seen this circus at a different performance, and said the same thing happened. My first lesson in "show business." 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, lb60 said:

I also call bullshit on Simon's comments about weight and singers.  I seem to recall many horrid comments he made about female singers and weight when he was on American Idol.  I love Simon, but no, just no.

I remember when he insulted Mandisa to her face about her weight on American Idol.  She was so gracious and I think she told him she'd pray for him, or words to that effect.  He looked embarrassed afterwards.  

• Love 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, lb60 said:

Absolutely. I almost gagged when he said that he got into the industry to prove that appearance had nothing to do with talent. How noble of him. Saint Simon.

Really laughable, since he made his first fortune as part of a wave in the music business in which appearance became everything. Can't sing? No problem. We have auto-tune, And we can have you dance around on stage to a pre-recorded track. How many overweight kids with acne were in Simon's boy bands?

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

Add me to the Bull Manure Callers here.  I thought the acrobatic act with the injury story was phony and when he fell and resumed the act despite the painful injury, I figured it was part of the act.  Remember last year when Les Twins had the injured twin dance in his wheelchair?

I also was skeptical at Simon's approval of the overweight lady with his praise and assertion that size doesn't matter.  He's as phony and his boy band acts and other auto-tune tarts.  I still do like Simon Cowell though.  He just knows his show business!

• Love 4

I don't know if I'm just desperate for something to laugh at or what but I thoroughly enjoyed Yumbo Dump and animal noises girl. I don't see either of them going much farther but as far as just watching an episode of television, I was into it.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I don't mind the multimedia acts, and I thought doing the diabolo in front of them changed it up a bit. Diabolo is hard enough on its own so it was really cool to see him time it with the projections. I get why others are tired of it, though.

The thing I hate the most about the Golden Buzzer is it turns me into the worst version of myself. This guy comes out with his six kids who he loves so much and all I can do is roll my eyes. They spent more time on the backstory than they did on his actual act! Did we really need to hear in elaborate detail how he got each kid? I'm glad they're in a happy and loving home but I don't care, I don't care, I doooooooon't caaaaaaare.

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, Commando Cody said:

At least we don't have Piers as a judge anymore. He used to buzz people during the acts just to see if they would get distracted. It was rude. I think it could be dangerous for some of these acrobatic acts. He was an automatic "no" if a juggler dropped a pin or something. I was glad to see the two acrobats get back and try the stunt again. They are pretty talented, however, I don't think they will make it past the next audition if they fall again. 

As good as everyone says he is, I was bored watching the guy play with his yo yo's. Plus he was kind of washed out by all the background noise going on behind him. 

I zoned out during the one of the group acrobats. I have no idea what they did. This is not a good sign.

I thought the one lady was a really impressive singer.  Her song choice didn't do anything for me. She deserved the golden buzzer over the other guy. She was a much better singer. 

Lol...I liked Pierce Morgan as a judge! Yep he buzzed the performers while in the middle of their act, but they all get buzzed during their performances. I thought Pierce was the best judge. He wouldn't let a lot of silly acts go through.   

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:19 PM, CelticBlackCat said:

Add me to the Bull Manure Callers here.  I thought the acrobatic act with the injury story was phony and when he fell and resumed the act despite the painful injury, I figured it was part of the act.  Remember last year when Les Twins had the injured twin dance in his wheelchair?

I also was skeptical at Simon's approval of the overweight lady with his praise and assertion that size doesn't matter.  He's as phony and his boy band acts and other auto-tune tarts.  I still do like Simon Cowell though.  He just knows his show business!

I too also thought that the acrobatic act's fall was part of their routine. The performers might be great at their act but are not "actors". You could see a slight hesitation on their part. The whole thing looked like a setup. Even the way the one guy fell. His brother soften the fall.  

• Love 1

So....I'm late in my review of last weeks AGT, but I agree with some of the posters here. There weren't many acts that will be making it to the finals in this group. Here are the once I remember.

The little girl making animal sounds- This is why I don't like kids on this show. The judges will pass them just because they're kids and the judges probably think that the kid will not be able to accept rejection. The judges are probably right about the rejection. Last season's winner was an exception. She was a seasoned performer. This kid making animal sounds was cute but wasn't good.

The comic that was criticizing the judges was funny "only" because some of the stuff said seemed to hit it on the nail. Tyra Banks is all about her. Ditto for Mel B. But all in all, this comedian wasn't going to go far anyway.

The singing couple were good and I'm glad they passed.

The big lady singer had a good voice but I just don't see her as winning AGT. No...it's not because of her weight.

The acrobatic brothers were good and their "fall" was an act in my opinion.

No dance group will ever win AGT because they all do the same thing to the same type of music. All dance groups eventually run out of routines to do.

The golden buzzer was good but not worthy of an automatic ticket.

I'm still hoping Mel B gets replaced one of these days...LOL!

Until next time...... 

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:10 AM, bluepiano said:

The "blind" swordsman had a good build-up but then it kind of fizzled. I expected him to do a samurai swordsman thing with the pineapple on Howie's head and rapidly cut it into multiple slices. That would've been cool.  One cut near the top of the pineapple? Eh.

Lol! I liked his performance but completely forgot about him til you brought it up. Never did see anybody ever before so thoroughly demonstrate they weren't able to a thing before. He could've stopped at the eye waxing and I'd have been satisfied they were locked shut. I don't like the silent thing though. It's getting a bit overused to display one's mysteriousness.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, xls said:

Aww, I love the multimedia stuff. Its like being in a dream. I'm impressed with the level of coordination and timing that it takes to make it look good the way he did. He was a happy fellow bless his heart.

I was not a fan of Mel's blond hair, made her totally unrecognizable but dayum I love that white dress with the silver blingy stuff on it. Looks AH-MAYYYY-ZING on her, ON POINT!

I'm pretty sure this is the same Michael Ketterer - who has several Christian/gospel albums out and professionally made videos. I think he was trying to pull a Clark Kent by restyling his hair and putting on those glasses - thinking no one would know it's him. 

I don't care if he is already a musician with albums, I don't like that people come on this show and suppress parts of who they are for the sake of a back story. Like this is the first time ever being on a stage.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I'm pretty sure this is the same Michael Ketterer - who has several Christian/gospel albums out and professionally made videos. I think he was trying to pull a Clark Kent by restyling his hair and putting on those glasses - thinking no one would know it's him. 

I don't care if he is already a musician with albums, I don't like that people come on this show and suppress parts of who they are for the sake of a back story. Like this is the first time ever being on a stage.  

Oh my!  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  The phoniness continues!  I think AGT has lost the plot.  They've got too many already famous and experienced people posing as first timers, too many Got Talents from other countries who've already been winners or highly rated on those shows.  This is far from the amateur talent show it pretends to be.  With that and the continuous antics of Mel B. who I was hoping would have been replaced this season, and Tyra's mugging for the camera on the side stage during each performance, and acting like the fairy godmother to each kid who graces the stage, I'm already sick of this season.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Tyra's mugging for the camera on the side stage during each performance, and acting like the fairy godmother to each kid who graces the stage,

I gave Tyra a break for mugging on the side because Nick did the same thing, but the "acting like the fairy godmother" description is spot on, and annoying as hell. 

Mel B has got to go.  I'm used to hearing British accents and, as with any accent, some are easier/more pleasant to listen to than others, but her voice and accent just make me stabby.  She sounds like she's got something stuck in her throat.

• Love 1

I just watched part of this episode off the DVR. I recognize the tumbling brothers from Big Apple Circus this year, unless there are two sets of brothers who do that act! They fell during our show too.  Never anything approaching an injury, but just an apologetic shrug and "we'll get it next time" as they set up the next trick. A few fails. On a card in which some acts literally would risk life and health if they were to fail. I dunno. I'd find it hard to fathom that you could safely build a fail into that act. Doing it perfectly would be impressive enough without having an overcoming failure aspect.