Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E22: Jake & Amy

• Start Topic

Season finale and last new episode on Fox!

Jake and Amy's wedding day is majorly threatened, and Charles and the whole squad rush to help save it. Amidst the chaos, Holt hesitates to open the email that will indicate if he has won his campaign for Commissioner, despite Gina's encouragement. Meanwhile, Terry gently pushes Rosa towards a potential love interest.

The episode was pretty much perfect. I love what Holt said about Jake and Amy's relationship when he was officiating. I would have been so sad if this was the last episode ever.

I thought Teddy was the bomber when Jake got the call. I was wrong about that but I'll give myself partial credit because he showed up.

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, MrWhyt said:

no you teared up at the wedding. If the show had ended there i would have been ok, but yay NBC!

No you cried when Charles opened the door to the wedding. It certainly wasn’t me!!!It  was beautiful. 

I imagine they had a second ending filmed incase  it was the series finale so we’d know of Holt was the commish or not. 

• Love 8

This show always makes me laugh, and then tonight it made me cry. That wedding was perfect for Jake and Amy! This would have been a good series finale, but I am so glad it wasn’t! This show is hilarious, and still has so much heart. I love it, and I can’t wait for Season 6.

• Love 9
(edited)

Once Jake started fixating on the idea that he had an arch nemesis, I figured that it was actually going to be somebody with a grudge against Amy, but I was surprised at how quickly the show got to that twist.

Shame Gina Rodriguez has her own show (well, not really) and can't stick around, because they had nice chemistry.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 5

I think this episode definitely needed to be an hour long. So many missed opportunities, and it was already really great with just half an hour. It would have even been a good way to end the series.

I hope Gina Rodriguez returns next season on NBC to guest star, because Rosa and Alicia/Alisha could be cute, even with the minimal time we got with them.

Jake and Amy are so great for each other and I'm glad they're married.

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, Trillium said:

I imagine they had a second ending filmed incase  it was the series finale so we’d know of Holt was the commish or not. 

They didn’t. They sent out the screeners to critics before the cancellation/pickup.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I assume bringing in Gina Rodriguez to flirt with Gina was a joke on their names or something.

Unlikely, as it was Rosa she was flirting with. My own assumption is that we're supposed to imagine that the parents were just offscreen where we couldn't see them (guest actors don't come cheap).

I was smiling as broadly as the newly wedded couple by the end. This series does have a knack for taking a premise we've been anticipating for a long time, and making it better than we could have expected. And goofy and funny as Andy Samberg can be, when he has to be sincerely romantic he delivers the goods every time. The show has done such a great job with the two of them and their relationship.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Rinaldo said:

Unlikely, as it was Rosa she was flirting with.

Yeah, I had my wires crossed there for a second.  The comment I had meant to make about Gina was that I laughed that she was planning on wearing what was not just a white dress but effectively a white wedding dress to Amy's wedding.

• Love 6

Cheddar only ate half, but yes. It had chocolate, too-- he's probably at the vet's office getting his stomach pumped while Jake and Amy are saying their vows.

Those monsters hedged their bets with that cliffhanger. The fact that I forgive them demonstrates just how much I love this show.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Jake getting all emotional over what Amy said in her wedding vow was great. Glad this show will be back next season.

This was when I teared up. Her quoting him after their initial exchange about that exact line and Jake crying and saying “You’re my dream girl”? So perfect.

• Love 17
(edited)

JUST TELL US, YOU MONSTER!!

Yeah, they probably would've told us if this was going to be the end. Thank you, NBC, for saving this glorious show. This episode was perfect. The wedding, the Nakatomi Plaza cake, the robot, Rosa snorting, Cheddar being a furry little pig, Scully, Hitchock, and Gina saving the day, Terry's smile. Boyle was extra creepy this episode, but loved how he pulled off the wedding in 28 minutes.

1 hour ago, SeanC said:

Shame Gina Rodriguez has her own show (well, not really) and can't stick around, because they had nice chemistry.

Jane The Virgin only has one more season left, so who knows?

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 9
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I can't believe Cheddar ate that whole cake and lived.

See you on NBC next year!

Yes.  When they first showed the cake and Cheddar, I thought he was dead.

37 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Cheddar only ate half, but yes. It had chocolate, too-- he's probably at the vet's office getting his stomach pumped while Jake and Amy are saying their vows.

Those monsters hedged their bets with that cliffhanger. The fact that I forgive them demonstrates just how much I love this show.

I'm so glad NBC picked up this show, but after thinking about the ending... I would have been fine with it as a series-ender, leaving the viewer to decide if Holt got the job.  If the show was done, I would be happy imagining Holt got his dream job, if not now, then eventually.  And since they're coming back, I hope he didn't get it because I prefer to have him in the Nine-Nine.  I think it was smart to leave it since they didn't know at the time.

25 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Jake getting all emotional over what Amy said in her wedding vow was great. Glad this show will be back next season.

12 minutes ago, bethy said:

This was when I teared up. Her quoting him after their initial exchange about that exact line and Jake crying and saying “You’re my dream girl”? So perfect.

I loved that part!  Andy was amazing in that scene (Melissa too!) and it made me tear up too. 

Also, I loved watching Boyle's reactions during the ceremony, especially when they were saying their "I dos".  (And he was hilarious with Jake at the beginning.  I don't remember the exact lines, but it cracked me up.)

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 16
8 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

Also, I loved watching Boyle's reactions during the ceremony, especially when they were saying their "I dos". 

Yes! He was hilarious - just squirming with joy and unable to sit still he was so happy. Adorable.

• Love 18
8 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Yeah, they probably would've told us if this was going to be the end.

I doubt it. Mike Schur has mentioned that he thinks finales should have at least one thing ambiguous for the viewer. Parks and Rec intentionally didn’t provide a definitive answer for 

Spoiler

whether Leslie or Ben was President.

Probably being overly cautious with the spoiler.

• Love 6

My thinking is that Holt getting the promotion fits in this shows' pattern. Otherwise, he stays at the 99 feeling defeated. I could see them possibly trying to split the difference, like giving him a promotion that is not the one he wanted, although that would feel very similar to season 3 when he was forced into the PR job.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

The comment I had meant to make about Gina was that I laughed that she was planning on wearing what was not just a white dress but effectively a white wedding dress to Amy's wedding.

I hated that. 

30 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

and Gina saving the day,

What did she do exactly?

• Love 1

Interview with Dan Goor talking about the episode including the fact that it was intentionally ambiguous about the promotion even if it was a series finale. 

I know you can’t reveal the outcome of the cliffhanger, but I assume the answer would be that Holt would get the job if the show were canceled? That doesn’t mean the show won’t do that now — and you’ve done it before, where Holt left the precinct, when he took the PR job.
I cannot answer that. Have you ever read that short story “The Lady, or the Tiger?” That guy never said whether or not it was the lady or the tiger. People tried for years. So I feel like there’s a weird way in which saying it would’ve been one thing and then maybe making it something else is like a narrative dissonance, where it’s almost like a Schrödinger’s cat thing. The world should be consistent.

Okay, but any hints about that cliffhanger? Is the answer already there? Should we study that like the Zapruder film?
The answer is there. If you truly know Holt.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Mike Schur has mentioned that he thinks finales should have at least one thing ambiguous for the viewer. Parks and Rec intentionally didn’t provide a definitive answer for 

Reveal hidden contents

whether Leslie or Ben was President.

Speaking of which, having Jake & Amy get married at the precinct might be the most "Parks & Rec" thing this show has ever done. And that's saying something. 

Great episode. 

• Love 13
(edited)

I'm really bad at callbacks and have no idea why they knew Fred Armisen's character. I wish Doug Judy had showed up. It would've made no sense, but I still wanted him at the wedding.

I'm choosing to think there was no chocolate in that cake, that the brown on the building was colored fondant, and Cheddar is perfectly fine.

Edited by SHD
  • Love 17
1 minute ago, SHD said:

m really bad at callbacks and have no idea why they knew Fred Armisen's character

He was in the pilot and another ep on the first season when they were going door to door looking for witnesses to a crime. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

He was in the pilot and another ep on the first season when they were going door to door looking for witnesses to a crime. 

Thanks! Yeah, there was no way I would remember that even though I've watched every episode.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Interview with Dan Goor talking about the episode including the fact that it was intentionally ambiguous about the promotion even if it was a series finale. 

Has anyone gone back to find Holt's happy face to compare? Did he use any contractions? My gut says that was Holt happy, but I'm sure someone will dig up clues one way or the other.

8 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

Speaking of which, having Jake & Amy get married at the precinct might be the most "Parks & Rec" thing this show has ever done. And that's saying something. 

Great episode. 

I was waiting for an "I love you and I like you" during the ceremony then I remembered I am watching a different show. 

• Love 4
Just now, SHD said:

Thanks! Yeah, there was no way I would remember that even though I've watched every episode.

I started a rewatch this weekend so I saw the eps yesterday, so it was easy!

• Love 2

I love that Jake right away told people there was a bomb threat and didn't try to keep it to himself and find the bomb himself, like some other shows might have done. 

It looked to me like both Andy was *really* tearing up, and some of the others were tearing up a little. Me too!

• Love 11

The moment Teddy showed up and was taking such pleasure in delaying the wedding, I thought he was who called in the bomb threat. But then that seemed too obvious, and this show doesn't go for the obvious. But it seemed so obvious! Anyway, glad I was wrong. Or right. Or whatever. AND I got a kick out of Teddy being right in his scenarios about the bomber's daughter finding the plans and calling in the warning.

I was tearing up at the very start of the wedding, actually when Amy was walking down the aisle. And the way Jake looked at her... Wow. 

Loved how panicked Charles was about ruining their wedding, and then how excited and happy he was during the ceremony.

I hate to say it, but I don't want Holt to become commissioner. I want him to stay at the 99. However, even though I love seeing him interact with the detectives, if he does become commissioner then maybe the show will bring in some great new characters.

So silly and wonderful when Holt trotted Cheddar down the aisle. Poor Cheddar, eating all that cake. Good thing most of it was non-chocolate frosting.

I always like seeing Fred Armisen. I know he plays the drums. Was he really playing the violin?

Hitchcock: Flattop and the Freak, we always deliver.

• Love 12

Ahhhh, so many parts that made me laugh (Dick Tracy villain, Cheddar loves responsibility, all-frosting cake, among many others), and I was expecting to tear up at some point, but I was NOT expecting to legit cry, like, loudly cry for the rest of the episode after Jake teared up.  (No silly single-man-tear for him!  Real squinting and choking up!)  I spent all day previously catching up on the last 9 episodes of Arrow and none of the intended emotional moments landed for me at all, but Brooklyn Nine-Nine just knows how to do those emotional moments with a realistic balance.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I hope Gina Rodriguez returns next season on NBC to guest star, because Rosa and Alicia/Alisha could be cute, even with the minimal time we got with them.

I expect her to, because Gina has basically been campaigning to play Rosa's love interest since before Rosa even came out. Here's an interview from late 2017 where she talked about it (“I want to play her love interest so bad,” says Rodriguez. “I really hope they make that happen”), and here's her tweet from after Rosa came out:

I loved this episode and it definitely made me tear up a few times! That cake was perfect (until Cheddar ate it, anyway -- and I expect he's fine), the wedding vows were perfect (romantic without being sappy, which is hard to pull off), Rosa and Terry's mini subplot was cute, all of Boyle's reactions were gold, and I loved that Amy was the one with a nemesis. This was a great way to end the season, and I'm so glad it's not the end of the series.

• Love 15

I had to come back and comment on a few more moments: Jake leading Charles away from Amy (after Charles told Amy to have lots of baby Jakes) and the way he looked back and said "I will see you up there," Rosa's laugh, her and Alicia saying all hats are stupid. 

I rewatched the ending (what??? YOU shut up) and although Holt used a contraction, that's his tell for a lie, right? Not for if he's happy or sad? 

• Love 6

The wedding and vows were so perfect for Jake and Amy. The facepart acting by Samberg and Fumero was top-notch.

Really, Gina, a white dress at a wedding? 

I remember Andy Samberg saying on Jimmy Kimmel that they had filmed an alternative scene if the show had been cancelled, so I think we would have found out if Holt had been named commissioner. I'm very happy we didn't find out yet.

Bye, Fox!

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Mystery said:

although Holt used a contraction, that's his tell for a lie, right?

The problem is, if we really examine other episodes, Holt uses contractions all the time. I've decided to treat that trait as a one-episode joke, and not try to force it into long-term continuity.

A special favorite element was Terry's uncontrollable glee at the idea that Rosa met somebody. That huge wide-eyed grin... I don't remember seeing Terry Crews do that before.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, scrambled eggs said:

Really, Gina, a white dress at a wedding? 

There's definitely a certain kind of person who would do that. A few years ago when my friend got married, her fiancée's sister called her the week before the wedding and said, "I still haven't found a dress to wear for your wedding. I was at the mall today and I saw a dress I like. You wouldn't mind if I wore a white dress to your wedding, right?"

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, saoirse said:

I really loved they didn't make it a big deal about Jake seeing Amy before the wedding. That trope is done to death, IMO.

Well, so is the trope where everything at the wedding gets messed up, and then they go through the wedding in some unplanned way anyway, and it works out in the end.

31 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There's definitely a certain kind of person who would do that. A few years ago when my friend got married, her fiancée's sister called her the week before the wedding and said, "I still haven't found a dress to wear for your wedding. I was at the mall today and I saw a dress I like. You wouldn't mind if I wore a white dress to your wedding, right?"

Kelly Kapoor did it at Phyllis's 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7