Type keyword(s) to search

The Passage - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I don't see how Nicole could have survive. Two vampires were heading for her as the basement exploded. 

If Nicole gave herself the cure while locked in the lab, she would be invisible to the "virals", they wouldn't be able to sense her anymore, they would run right past her.

Lacey could have gotten the cure from Lear.

Guilder is probably Fanning's plus one.

• Love 1

They don’t show how the Renfields are made so that process may explain why they look the same, are able to talk, don’t (I assume) age, and don’t drink blood (Babcock said Richards was starving her so I assume she’d have said something if he was drinking blood at the same time). The virus looks to be transported via the bite so maybe giving the human viral blood turns them? I hope we get some details. 

I’d love to keep Sykes around but it’ll have to be in flashbacks or visions because I think she’s 100% dead. 

I think Guilder will turn out to be a Renfield to let him stick around. Martinez would be my guess since he’s already succeeded in manipulating him, though he may end up attached to Zero to implement whatever plans he’s got going on. Zero/Martinez/whichever viral can sway him easily by talking up the benefits. And once he’s turned I think he’ll be all in on Team Zero. 

They may keep Lacey in flashbacks but I wouldn’t be surprised if Lear gives her the cure. She’s a part of the mission and will no doubt want to see it through. 

• Love 1

I don't get how Babcock saved Richards... didn't they say earlier that every time they tried to change the virus, it would revert to essentially the original and they still ended up with a new viral? So just giving him her blood should have made him turn. 

I also thought they said that Amy's blood wasn't enough- that's why they struggled so long to finally find a cure, so her blood shouldn't do anything good either. I assumed she gave Wolgast the cure, not just injected him with her blood, though I thought Lilah took the cure, so I don't get it and they kind of changed the rules on us. 

But that said, I am glad that gives us the chance to see more of these characters in the future and not as mindless vampire things. 

I expect they will bring in plenty of new characters from the books, but change the story in a way to keep Wolgast and Amy along with Fanning/Babcock central to the story. I haven't read the actual books, just summaries, but we don't really know much about the other 12 besides Carter and Martinez, so I figure we won't get to know too many more of the 12 if there is another season since there are already a lot of characters. But I guess we'll find if we get another season.

3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

They may keep Lacey in flashbacks but I wouldn’t be surprised if Lear gives her the cure. She’s a part of the mission and will no doubt want to see it through. 

That brings up a good point. Lacey literally thinks of herself as Lear's guardian angel. Would she let him go down the immunization path to fight Fanning without joining him?

On the other hand, it would really cheapen the long fast forward if everybody eventually showed up.  

• Love 1

I just re-watched episode 9, and two things stood out to me. Someone mentioned this upthread but, the first time around,  I missed when the soldier in Bolivia told Lear that the locals told them to kill Fanning. Of course Lear, in his arrogance and his God Complex and his selfish agenda, ignored them. Nevermind that they had probably experienced virals before and knew exactly what to do. The most poignant line in the whole finale was when Amy said something along the lines of how Lear and company had so many chances to turn back, but they never did.

The second interesting thing was Shauna. It didn't register with me the first time that when she conversed with both Sykes and Richards, she has no blood around her mouth. She didn't feed. Whereas Carter seems like a follower to me, Babcock''s flashback showed that she was obviously the leader of her little friend group. She was still thinking independently, even as a viral. When she was talking with Sykes, you see it in the way she balked at Fanning's order that they feed on innocent families, and later on in eppy 10 with the way she and Clark were handling her feedings.

Kudos to the writers for their consistency in characterization.

ETA: Since all of the virals survived the explosion, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Shauna had somehow also managed to save Nicole. Maybe that's what she was doing while the other virals were on a rampage.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 5
On 3/11/2019 at 8:46 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

Amy, do you have any desire to drink my blood? I mean really, not even deep down?" and Amy shakes her head furiously to indicate "No!" Brad then says "Well, c'mon then." Fantastic.

That was one of my favorite lines of the season, and its super in character for Brad. Straight forward and to the point, but also from a place of caring. Oh Brad and Amy, they just kill me. Amy killing to save Brad and giving him her Plus One Power, then leaving, just broke my heart. And she has been searching for him for 97 years! Post Apocalyptic Wrinkle in Time is hard core!

This is a wild way to end the season, I guess this whole season was basically a prequel to what will be the "main" part of the show, although I hope that maybe we get some flashbacks to see what happened to some of the other characters. I mean, thats one hell of a time jump! Heh, that awkward moment when you have to explain to the other countries about your stupid and very sketchy mad scientist scheme that created a vampire plague...

So much stuff went down! Babcock and Richards are left in the awkward first date that will never end, Lacey is awesome and has no time for Lears shit, the vampires are loose, and everything has gone to crap! I give them credit for just blowing everything up for a whole new status quo for next season, but it will be really weird, I will really miss the cast and setting of this season. That being said, its been a great season, so I just these writers to come up with a good second season in this new setting. 

So who all might still be around? Amy and Fanning obviously, but also maybe Brad, Lila, Babcock, Ricahrds, Carter...maybe Lear? I am going to just say that Lacy is around too, because I really want her to be around. And Nicole too, because I want her to be alive too. Hey, we never saw a body! We just have Babcocks word, and she had every reason to lie. Or they both just hang around as spirit guides to Amy, because that sounds pretty awesome as well.  

I know that they'll probably hold off on the journey, but I hope they dont keep Brad and Amy separate for too long. I love this show in general, but they're the heart of the show and them separated just seems wrong. 

Hey, they finally acknowledged that these things are obviously vampires! It took them awhile, and the world being swarmed by them, but they got there!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Besides the future casting/characters that are on the horizon the two big plot points from the books I hope they make it to are 

Spoiler

The vegas sequence and the fall.  

I definitely recommend reading the books to anyone who is interested in this world they're building.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I think controlling someone also relies on that person being fairly weak-willed.  That doesn't mean the person isn't smart, like that scientist, but their will, their ability to resist, is weak.

It may have a lot to do with length of exposure to the vampire's manipulations.  Gray, the janitor, probably had the longest exposure to Fanning.  He was the one around the cell day after day.  It may be that it took time for Fanning to build up the ability to reach people at a distance.  It may be that with each new vampire as an antenna, he could expand his range.  But the first and longest manipulation was probably Gray.  Even if he resisted at first, he was worn down by the time the show began.

Babcock probably can control Richards, but she said at the beginning that she wanted him to make the choice to be her "one" pet or Renfield.  Presumably there is some kind of blood link between them, even though he remains human.  As she said, he gets to be immortal but walk in the sun and eat real food.  They have also spent time together before and after she became a vampire.  Even if she isn't directly using him as a puppet, it would be hard in the long term to resist the arguments of someone who can literally be in your head.

The scientist may be a different situation because he was trying to establish a direct neural link and control over a vampire.  He hooked himself into one of the virals and assumed he would be the one in charge of the link.  The connection may have enabled the more direct control of him.

Regarding the cure, Sykes made two doses.  One went to Lila, and one was supposed to go to the CDC.  That cure went to save Brad instead.  Lear created an independent cure of some kind.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

Regarding the cure, Sykes made two doses.  One went to Lila, and one was supposed to go to the CDC.  That cure went to save Brad instead.  Lear created an independent cure of some kind.

What I wasn't clear on was, didn't Lila leave to try and get to the CDC? That would make me think she took the remaining dose of the cure along with her, but then it looked to me like Amy gave Wolgast the cure... so ???? 

• Love 1

One thing from the books I'd really like to see on the show is

Spoiler

how the vampires react to mirrors.  I love that moment in Vegas when Peter grabs the pan in an attempt to shield himself and ends up distracting the vampire.  The moan on longing from the vampire in reaction stays with him as it's his first indication that there's a person trapped inside the monster. 

Another is when

Spoiler

Amy goes through Babcock's hive and reminds them who they really are so that they can finally die.  She's been hearing them ask Who Am I? for most of the century since getting the virus and she finally gets to answer that question and alleviate their suffering.  If they want to do a montage this sequence is perfect.

• Love 2

*whispering* After thinking about it, imma need to ETA my earlier ETA and rescind my kudos to the writers due to INconsistency.

1. How long does it take for someone to turn to turn after they've been infected? It seemed to take Carter and Amy a long time to turn, but the people Winston bit turned almost immediately. The lady in the cabin with Lila turned overnight. They need to establish a time frame and stick with it.
  2. What kills a viral and are the rules different when they're just infected vs. after they turn? I mean, Clarke and his soldiers killed  Winston and the people he bit with bullets, but in ep. 9, they were firing at virals point-blank and they didn't die. What was the difference? Lacey came along and shot infected people with one bullet and they didn't get back up. Was that because they hadn't yet turned? Also, if they couldn't kill virals with assault weapons at the compound, how did Amy kill them one with a bow and arrow? She didn't even shoot him in the heart. She shot him in the neck. They need to establish some rules or this world they're building is going to fall apart really quick. The reason the vampire mythology has endured is because rules were clearly established that everybody understood. If this show just changes rules willy-nilly to fit any given situation, the show is going to get real dumb real quick. They need to make hard and fast rules and write within those parameters,

After re-watching ep. 10, I think they should have ended the season with the missiles heading towards the US.That would have been a powerful ending.  I actually thought the last few scenes detracted from the season rather than enhanced it, especially Amy killing a viral with her bow and arrow after the previous episode showed them being nearly impervious to bullets. That didn't make sense to me.

Overall, the season was very good. The best things were the characters themselves. Each one was very strong and solidly written. The wakest thing was the world-building. Again, the writers need to establish rules for the virals and write within the rules..

Still, I'm looking forward to next season.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I loved the show, so I am trying to decide if I want to read the books. I've heard they're really different, so I dont know.

I'm struggling with this also.

4 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

the writers need to establish rules for the virals and write within the rules..

I'm thinking the book would spell out the rules a bit more so I might have to read at least the first one. I really like rules for any vampires, zombies, witches, were-creatures, etc. 😁

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I loved the show, so I am trying to decide if I want to read the books. I've heard they're really different, so I dont know. 

Tennisgurl, it's been a looong time since I read the first book, but wrt your comment and without spoiling what's to come: 

Spoiler

The show is a LOT more detailed and with many more fully realized characters than the book.  It's one of the few incidents where a show is actually better.  The book gets to the time jump about half way through and now is when we get to the real blood and guts of the story.  No pun intended.  Personally I loved the next part of the story even more than what we've already seen.

So yeah, I'd recommend giving it a try.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

In season 2, I hope the ending scenes and time jump turn out to be Amy's vision of the future rather than actual events. I've gleaned from comments that the whole lineup of characters basically changes in the book, but I'm not ready to leave most of these characters yet. I mean, TV is a very different medium from books.  I can't see them moving so hastily away from characters who have endeared themselves to their TV audience.  *shrugs*

I've read that too, but I think with so many of our regular cast from this season either already being infected or given the cure they set it up so we have all of them back.  They may introduce those other characters (that I don't know- I didn't read the books) as well. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:
  1. How long does it take for someone to turn to turn after they've been infected? It seemed to take Carter and Amy a long time to turn, but the people Winston bit turned almost immediately. The lady in the cabin with Lila turned overnight. They need to establish a time frame and stick with it.

I think with the original virals that got the virus at PN they weren't bit, but had an engineered strain injected to try to keep them from turning. Fanning turned quicker than the others and he was actually bit, but the timing is still off as it took longer for him to turn than some of the others infected at the compound and when Winston was loose. 

They also need to explain a bit more about Richards/Babcock and how she was able to fix him but not turn him. It was almost like Fanning did with the janitor but that was all mind control with him. Richard's was dying so he had to have some help from her blood but how did she keep him from turning?

From what I remember Lila specifically talked about her blood having the cure, so I didn't think she took the last vial with her but left it with Brad. So I do think that is what Amy gave Brad. You see the same case it was in during that scene.

I am thinking that we will see Brad again for sure, possibly Lila and Lear. Lacey in flashbacks too. I'm probably going to pick up the books eventually but it annoys me when shows jump the shark totally and start rewriting everything so I may wait until I know it is a bit more true to the source material if it gets renewed. I normally don't to vampire shows but this one sucked me in. 

Edited by Txmomof2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Just look at it the same as you do any other adaptation.  Changes get made to suit the different medium, some of which you'll prefer while others you won't, and you can always separate the two and view them as their own entity. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Another is when

Reveal spoiler

Amy goes through Babcock's hive and reminds them who they really are so that they can finally die.  She's been hearing them ask Who Am I? for most of the century since getting the virus and she finally gets to answer that question and alleviate their suffering.  If they want to do a montage this sequence is perfect.

Spoiler

Wasn't that what Amy was doing to the viral she shot with the arrow?   I didn't make out what she was saying, but it could very well be she was releasing them like in the book.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 1
On 3/13/2019 at 2:27 PM, jhlipton said:

Who's (possibly) alive in 97 years?   The 12, Lila, Brad, Lear, Clark
Who's (almost certainly) dead? Guilder (and his mustache), Lacey (boo!), Sykes (double boo!!!)

Anyone else?

I know!!!!  I was about to recommend this show for having 2 black female leads, and one recurring but oh well!

Lacey could surprise us😉

Edited by Sofie Fatale
  • Love 1

One thing I forgot to mention:
In any other show, the scene of Agent (that's his name now!) teaching Amy how to shoot a bow and arrow, she didn't hit the bull's eye on her last try.  She didn't even hit the target -- she hit the paper just below it.  But that was a "You've got the idea, now you need to refine it" moment that it worked for me. 

9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Tennisgurl, it's been a looong time since I read the first book, but wrt your comment and without spoiling what's to come: 

Hide contents

The show is a LOT more detailed and with many more fully realized characters than the book. 

Spoiler

That's what they did in The Expanse as well.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, roctavia said:

What I wasn't clear on was, didn't Lila leave to try and get to the CDC? That would make me think she took the remaining dose of the cure along with her, but then it looked to me like Amy gave Wolgast the cure... so ???? 

Lila left with a group from Doctors Without Borders.  When the viral at the gas station didn't attack her, she speculated that her blood might contain something that could be used to treat people or make a cure, and she thought those doctors were the most likely people she would find to investigate that possibility.  She thought the CDC wasn't coming, but I think she left the cure with Brad in case they did.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I have enjoyed a lot of things about this adaptation, but for those on the fence about reading the books, I highly recommend them. I have read the trilogy in whole twice and the first couple of books 3 times. Several people upthread said they did not like the second and third books, but I really enjoyed the entire series. I am enjoying the show for the most part, but this series of books is one of my favorites. 

• Useful 1

I'm close to done with the first book, and it's interesting to see the things that did and didn't make the cut on the tv show. I actually wish they'd touch on why the janitor was so creepy and weird because that was something I was questioning while watching the show. 

First book is good btw.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

20th Television is the distributor. It’s cheaper for Disney to leave it where it is (unless they want to move it to ABC). Other than the vampire visuals I can’t imagine it would cost them that much. And they can easily cut down on that without hurting the story or characters. I bet the merger becoming official yesterday caused this speculation, since a vampire apocalypse isn’t part of the Disney brand, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Until cancellation is announced I’m staying optimistic. 

• Love 3

I saw an interview on Afterbuzz with Saniyya Sidney on Monday and she was asked about season 2. She said they'd know in a few days and seemed optimistic. She is also very mature for her age. She had great answers to the questions, especially about her thought process to bring Amy to life. 

• Love 4

I was nervous about it getting renewed, but I'm surprised they have it listed this way. The ratings were pretty decent. I would guess if anything, the cost of future episodes/seasons could be more of a concern, considering it wasn't a huge blockbuster. Curious that they have The Orville listed as more likely to renew.

1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

I saw an interview on Afterbuzz with Saniyya Sidney on Monday and she was asked about season 2. She said they'd know in a few days and seemed optimistic. She is also very mature for her age. She had great answers to the questions, especially about her thought process to bring Amy to life. 

I want to see a movie headlined by Saiyya Sidney and Marsai Martin (Diane on black-ish) .  These two young women are so accomplished -- I'm sure great things await them.

• Love 5

So Fox release a promo shortly after the Disney sale was completed, to highlight the new Fox and it’s offering. It’s got several clips from The Passage, which I’m taking as a good sign. (‘Cause why would you feature a show as a way of highlighting the “new you” if you’re just going to cancel it in a matter of days?)

• Love 11
12 hours ago, kickingnames said:

So Fox release a promo shortly after the Disney sale was completed, to highlight the new Fox and it’s offering. It’s got several clips from The Passage, which I’m taking as a good sign. (‘Cause why would you feature a show as a way of highlighting the “new you” if you’re just going to cancel it in a matter of days?)

The weirdest thing in that promo? 

1:17 where Fanning and Amy look down tunnel and see. . . a character from The Masked Singer?

I really  hope that's not the last we see of the show.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 3/20/2019 at 6:54 PM, CrazyDog said:

I was nervous about it getting renewed, but I'm surprised they have it listed this way. The ratings were pretty decent. I would guess if anything, the cost of future episodes/seasons could be more of a concern, considering it wasn't a huge blockbuster. Curious that they have The Orville listed as more likely to renew.

Yeah, there were a couple of shows that looked like they had worse, or nearly the same ratings, yet had 4 stars, so idk.  the Orville will be renewed because it Seth McFarland's baby and the Family Guy guy gets to do whatever he wants, he's got leverage.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:22 PM, Superclam said:
On 3/12/2019 at 5:28 PM, Rap541 said:

Is the book worth reading? I liked the show. 

I've downloaded it, and I'm going to read it after I'm done with the book I'm currently reading. As you probably know, it's a 3-book series and from what I've heard, the 1st book (The Passage) is very good, and then it loses it. I'll have to find out for myself. 

Agreed, really enjoyed the first one, book 2 was a slog, didn't bother with 3.

Just binged the first season (& haven't read the books), so some thoughts....

The only person I felt absolutely no pity for was Wilson [the rapist turned serial killer].  If given the backstories for the rest of the 'death row virals' maybe I'd've found others, but Wilson was the only one with no redeeming qualities or a hinted-at horrible past to be pitiable.   If Lear or Richards had been offed, I wouldn't have blinked an eye.  The only slightly redeeming thing about Lear was his love for his wife, everything happened because of his selfishness to not put the needs of the many before the needs of the few, or the one.  Which, ironically, starts the whole thing because he didn't put the needs of the one (his ailing wife) before going to Bolivia, which kick-started everything.

Despite them being murderous blood-lusting vampiric 'virals', I really felt sympathy for Carter and Babcock.  I realize, what with their telepathic abilities, they could have been putting on acts to convince their "victims", but it didn't feel that way to me.   I really felt that despite their true appearances and base functions, they didn't want to be that.   I was no Richards fan, but that flashback of him chasing Babcock down and then going to that diner, when she begs him to run with her, it was slightly heartbreaking because he seemed to truly want to do that for her, but then he remembers she's already been 'infected' and there's nothing he could do.  Although, I have to admit being a bit icked out by the glaringly obvious parallels between Babcock's 'relationship' with her step-father and her seducing Richards, especially in the age difference.

As much as I really dislike young children being a main focus on shows I'm watching, Amy was a real treat.  Her and Brad were amazing together.   I'd like to think that every father would wish to have as good a relationship with their daughter as Brad had with Amy (& they were complete strangers to start with, and he was [one of] her kidnapper(s)).  Can't give that integral part of the show high enough marks.

The government conspiracy of killing the reporter and attempting to kill Brad & Lila was a bit much, but helped keep the stakes high.

Not having knowledge of the books probably hampers me (no spoilers please), but the "power of 12" thing never really made sense to me.  What was the significance of Fanning needing/having 12 virals in 'his family'?

The 80-year time jump should be interesting if they get a 2nd season [which I am in for, if happens].  I'm gonna guess that the cure still makes people 'immortal' - or at least severely slows the aging process - only without the vampiric need to feed or weakness to high-powered light.  I mean, Brad isn't going to be alive 80 years later if not.  Which also means, very good chance Lila will still be around as well.  Putting money that Lear either did make a 'cure' as well, or it changed him in other ways and he'll still be around.

Again, with no knowledge of the book, the attempted killing of all the virals in E5 - but aborted because of Amy's & Elizabeth's connection - felt like a massive plot hole.  I understand the plotline of having the sire's death meaning death of all his 'offspring', but then how & why would Fanning survive his turning if his sire was killed just seconds after infecting him.  It doesn't compute in my mind.   But, the rest of the show was good enough to overlook it.  Could have used an (at least) off-hand comment about why it was happening then and not with Fanning in Bolivia.  I can somewhat buy that considering how soon the sire was killed, that Fanning's infection didn't have chance to take root, but if that's how, then explain that.  Without an explanation,  it looks like really bad writing and/or retcon.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 5
On 4/30/2019 at 3:08 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I can somewhat buy that considering how soon the sire was killed, that Fanning's infection didn't have chance to take root, but if that's how, then explain that.

My interpretation was that no psychic link had been established between them.  The mental connection is fundamental to these vampires.  The first node in the network is the critical one, and all others are dependent on it.  Fanning originated a new network because the previous one went offline before he could connect to it.  That's also why he needed 12 vampires to escape.  That was the critical size for the psychic network to have enough range to cover all their immediate human threats.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 4/8/2019 at 6:17 PM, BigBlueMastiff said:
On 3/12/2019 at 7:22 PM, Superclam said:
On 3/12/2019 at 6:28 PM, Rap541 said:

Is the book worth reading? I liked the show. 

I've downloaded it, and I'm going to read it after I'm done with the book I'm currently reading. As you probably know, it's a 3-book series and from what I've heard, the 1st book (The Passage) is very good, and then it loses it. I'll have to find out for myself. 

Agreed, really enjoyed the first one, book 2 was a slog, didn't bother with 3.

Hmmm,  makes me worried - I'm reading Book 1 now.  I just got to the part where:   

Spoiler

The group of 8 reaches The Haven outside Las Vegas.  I like this little group but I'm eager to find out if the Haven people can or can't be trusted!     

I can see the similarities from book to TV show, where they followed pretty closely, where they switched things up and where, (at least from my mostly through Book 1 perspective), they didn't follow the books at all.  I like the first book and was looking forward to getting Book 2 from the library on Monday or Tuesday; I still will but now hoping I can get through it and move on to book 3, sounds like a lot of people found it challenging.  Except for possibly knowing the end of the show, assuming it stays on long enough to get an "end" so far I don't feel like the book is spoiling the show for me. 

As for the show itself, definitely hoping we get positive renewal news and a Season 2 announcement soon.

• Love 1